Good books, poor delivery

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Bought a book through Booktopia. Delivery was quick. Packaging was excessive; book size was 21cm X 21cm, the packaging was 46cm X 47cm. Because of the size of the packaging, the book was not delivered by AusPost; it would not fit in my mail box. I had to drive 22km to collect the book from the PO. When I reported this to Booktopia, I was told "Very sorry. I will pass this on to Customer Complaints". Nothing more has been heard. While good strong packaging is good for protection of the book, excessive packaging has consequences that the dispatch staff have no idea about, nor particularly care

Verified Customer

Express delivery may not be on time

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

I ordered several items before business hours (7:30 am) on Thursday 1/11, finding an option for express shipping at checkout that would get the items to me by the end of the next day (2/11). I needed them for Saturday (3/11) as a gift. There were several choices, so I chose the option that would arrive at any time on Friday the 2/11. They did not arrive until Monday evening (5/11), so I had to rethink my gift.

I received an apology and was refunded the cost of shipping. However, this experience does leave something to be desired being the first time I have ordered from Booktopia in years.

Long delivery

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2018

Hi there just wanted to highlight your delivery time is ridiculously long. Online says 1-3 days Sydney to Sydney 6 days ! I can get delivery from overseas faster.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Toula,

Let me check this for you, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

Good service and quick delivery

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2018

I ordered three paperback books, which were delivered very quickly after placing an order, however the quality of service was let down by the poor packing of the items. Whilst the packaging material itself was adequate, the books had been so tightly packed into the cardboard sleeve such that they and their covers were significantly bent out of shape and the corners creased upon arrival. I would order from Booktopia again due to the efficiency of the service and availability of products, however the overall experience would be bettered if products were packaged more carefully for shipping to avoid premature deterioration of the items before even reaching the customer.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Cath, Sorry to hear this! The type of packaging we used for your order is normally only used for a maximum of two items to avoid this exact thing. I'm really sorry more appropriate packaging w... read more »

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 4 helpful votes

Still waiting

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2018

Ordered 2 books a week apart from each other. 2nd one arrived and still waiting for the 1st one to turn up.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Lee,

Sorry to hear! Let me look into it for you, could I grab your order number please?

Booktopia Official

Hi Lee, Thanks for providing your order number. I can see that the second order you placed was for an in-stock item, whereas the first order you placed was for an item that is temporarily out of s... read more »

Very prompt but wrong

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2018

I received my order earlier than expected and in good condition however the order was incorrect. The books i ordered were historical fiction and i received books about grassroots investing. A topic i have little to no interest in.

There was no response by Booktopia after sending emails. Eventually I called it it was rectified. Original order is on its way.

Slow page turning

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2018

I read a lot of books on my iPad including library books as well as booktopia books. I have consistently found Booktopia to be very slow in turning the page requiring multiple swipes. This is not the case with either library or other ugh books.

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

Gem Scrabble Dictionary

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2018

I had ordered this item being the GEM Scrabble Dictionary, when I got it, was disappointed to see it was rather small, and that Booktopia did not mention that GEM means small sized. There was no measurements for this GEM dictionary on the site.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kanga,

Let me look into this for you, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

It was order number 7740008 on the 29th August 2018.

Booktopia Official

Hi Kanga, Thanks for that! I've had a look at the listing for this item and I can see that it does say in the description of the item "Contains handy tips on the best words to use and remember. Th... read more »

Packaging!!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2018

Please please please review your packaging! Your using so much cardboard for such a small book. There is no need to use so much

Postage time inaccurate

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2018

Book arrived suitably packaged however site said 1-2 business days which was not accurate.
The availability and time to arrive was my primary reason for using this site.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Priscilla,

Sorry to hear this, let me look into it for you. Could I grab your order number please?

Quick Delivery.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

Delivery was quick. Unfortunately the first page of the book I ordered was torn on the side. I didn't bother to have it replaced since it was just a preface but still, they should make sure item is ok before delivering it.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jen,

Sorry to hear! I've sent you a direct message about this.

Long wait

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2018

Was a really long wait to speak to someone. Having said that the lady I spoke to was helpful and extremely patient. Thankyou Claire

Bump to Baby

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2018

Loved the book but should be better packing. It was delivered in paper envelope and left in the rain inside my gate. Lucky it did not go through to book. The box was a bent too

• 1 review
  • 3 comments

Vampire academy box set 1-6

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

My books arrived quickly however the postman that delivered them put them over my fence and they were partially eaten by my dogs and when i got home i ran over them with my car as i couldn't see the box due to the slope of my driveway. Unfortunately these were a gift for my daughters birthday and it didn't look like a new box set when i gave them to her.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kirsty, Oh no! Only way it could have gone worse is if it had rained! I'd be happy to sort out a replacement for you and this time around I'll also ask for a signature on delivery, meaning the... read more »

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Surprisingly the first 4 books aren't too badly damaged. the fifth and 6th one are the worst but the box for the box set was in about 100 pieces so I would be more tha... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Kirsty, Thanks for that. I don't think we can replace only part of a box set so we'll send out a whole new set. In this case there's no need to send the damaged set back so feel free to hold on... read more »

Maybe add bubble wrap but good!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

I love the package it came in and how it protects the book. My main issues is that the post woman threw my book on the floor when she delivered it. The book has scratches all over the cover due to poor handling. I am unsure if that is anything to do with booktopia as a company but I do like that the book was sealed flat and it came in one piece. I will likely purchase again for text books and sales. I just don’t appreciate the disrespectful handling of items in the post as I would rather my text book not have clear scratches all over the cover so I’d recommend adding some extra protection so the books don’t get scratched.

Other than that, happy the inside of the book isn’t damaged.

Slightly disappointed

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2018

I was happy to receive my books in good time however they were dirty with black smears across the front of one book and all around the edges off both books. I’d prefer to receive clean books.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Nita,

I'm so sorry about that! I've sent you a direct message about this.

Excellent service

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2018

Great service using Booktopia ,efficient quick with postage delivery,would recommend to anyone
And will keep using Booktopia Thankyou for your service.

The dictionary is a result of lack of quality control

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

I inadvertently sent this to the “no reply” email address on late afternoon, Thursday, July 12, 2018, and have been wondering why you had not replied. Hopefully this “edm” address is satisfactory.

Order Number: 7506955
Order Date: 08/07/2018
Payment Type: Credit Card
Shipping Method: Australia Post - Regular Post (Tracked)

As advised by Australia Post, this “Concise Oxford English Dictionary” arrived today. Unfortunately, the section from pages 451 to 530 inclusive, is upside down and in reverse order. Naturally, this error is not what I expected.

What should I do with this book as it is of no use to me in this condition.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Johnny, Sorry a faulty book arrived to you. It looks like my colleague Alison organised a replacement for you, which left our warehouse yesterday. Please be sure to let us know if there are an... read more »

Never Go bacK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2018

Worst Reacher book ever. Unlikely, unbelievable,. i know this guy is tough and can achieve more than we mortals, and I have read and mainly enjoyed all the Reacher books up til this one but seriously? As a 25 year Navy man this one just makes me cringe.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Garry, This sounds like a review of a book rather than Booktopia's service - we'd definitely recommend you place this review on our site as this will help others make a more informed purchase. ... read more »

grexob@gmail.com

• 1 comment
  • 5 helpful votes

Just an admin matter

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

Booktopia supplies books okay but why is it so difficult to order. Why do these on line suppliers stipulate the buyer having to register a password etc.? For goodness sake they have my credit card, surely that's enough. When I buy from a store they don't ask me for a password. I can understand if they give an option but to insist is a little ridiculous. I filled in the form to register but after stating my email address and after entering a password was informed my email address was already in the system and couldn't accept my new password. Companies like Product Review, and social media etc., because of their sensitive dealing obviously have to know details of people contacting them but for normal merchants it all seems unnecessary.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there, The reason Booktopia requires an account to be created is so that we have a secure way to keep a record of your ordering history while also maintaining a way to communicate with you. Thi... read more »

Great. But you should give customers an option if or not they want to register? I buy goods from various retailers and they ask if want to give my email address. Anyway you lost this order and a... read more »

Hi again,

I'll have a look at your account, could I grab any of your Booktopia order numbers?

1 of 19 pages

i have been happy with booktopia service previously but i had 4 novels sent to me by mistake - emailed them - no reply rang for 3 days finally got through only to be cut off - call was not returned my current order has not been dispatched after a week extremely unhappy as i have been on the phone for 15 minutes already how do i return their novels?

Beve rley gleeson asked on Dec 06, 2018

Hi Beverly,

I'm really sorry for the delay in responding to you. Let me look into this further for you, what's your order number?

Jessica

I'm using the booktopia e-reader. How can you quickly turn pages so that you can go further in the book? Wilko

Wilko asked on Nov 30, 2018

Hi Wilcox

I bought a physical book, have not used their ereader. You might need to ask for customer support or ask google

Hi Wilko,

Tap the screen once to bring the menu up. There's a slider at the bottom, with a circle on the page number you're on. Tap and hold the circle and drag it along the slider until you find the page you're after, then let go.

Hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jessica

I have been reading a book I purchased, on my iPhone. Is it possible to continue reading this on my MacBook Pro?

Ridgi asked on Nov 21, 2018

Hi Ridgi,

You can definitely keep reading on your MacBook, but you'll need to install the Adobe Digital Editions program. You can find some instructions here: https://www.booktopia.com.au/helpCentre.ep?p=eBooks&o=reader-app#