1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2007

Terrible service from this bookseller - I ordered three books, two of which were supposed to be delievered within 5-10 days. Fourteen working days later I have still not received them. I emailed twice to cancel the order and never received a reply to either email. Now I have been told I may not be entitled to a refund, and so will have to phone the bank to dispute the payment. A lot of bother for nothing!! Buy your books elsewhere!!

- Everything!

23 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 26, 2008

I would recommend that anyone with an issue gives them a call, rather than email. I was having no luck at all getting a reply via email or live chat. I gave them a call and got things sorted out.

Apparently, despite the website saying they ship books as they arrive, it seems that the wait until the entire order arrives. By giving them a call they said they would ship out what they had straight away.

Still poor customer service, but the phone does produce results

21 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2008

I ordered books for a bookclub (12 books) I needed them in a hurry, so I made sure to order something they said was in stock and would ship straight away. After waiting for the order I phoned and was told that it wasnt actually in stock. I cancelled the order and asked for a refund which was agreed to. After several phonecalls to condescending extremely unhelpful staff, who acted like they were doing me a favour and over a week later the refund still has not been processed.
I would never use this company again!!!!!!!!!

- Staff, Unavailablity of books, Misrepresentation

19 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2008

Stay away from these people like the plague - like any supplier when it works well there are no problems - but when it falls apart is when you actually test an organisations customer commitment - in our experience since they cannot fulfil the order but have taken our money then I expect a refund or at least advice of an expected ETA if not my goods!! I do not expect to be met with rudeness, uncooperative attitude and an expectation that the customer is to call them for updates (which they cannot provide anyway).

To cap it all off their staff are arrogant in the extreme and stated that they were in the right and we should read their T&Cs - which they are clearly in breach of but will not admit.

If you wish to give your money away then I suggest you find a reputable charity - at least then you know you are contributing to a worthwhile cause.

+ Apaprently good prices, good shipping terms etc. Website is reasonabley use friendly and payment procedure is clear ad easy to follow.

- Very poor customer service attitude, descending to outright rudeness over the phone and refusal to supply refund or provide advice when books would arrive.

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2008

After initially getting quite excited when I found Booktopia.com as their prices seemed reasonable and shipping not too bad I ordered some books for a gift for a pregnant friend. The website said that the books would be shipped in 5 to 10 days depending if they needed to come from overseas. They took my money and then sent me email saying the books were low in quantity at the supplier and for me to ring them in a couple of weeks to see if they had managed to get me one of the last copies. I waited 2 1/2 weeks with no news on whether or not they had got the books or not - my friend had her baby and I had to get her another gift. I rang to ask for a refund and they refused - offering me store credit - which was not acceptable to me. The manager I spoke to was rude and acted like she was doing me a favour and I should be grateful to her. She accused me of not ringing before now to check the status (err... I have a young baby.. I have no time and plus I shouldnt have to do that!!). I have to date recieved no books and no refund and the transaction is pending dispute proceedings through paypal. I would not recommend these people and I will never use them again. Very disapointing.

- rude, slow, extremely poor customer service, appaling policies

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2008

Avoid them. In the end PayPal upheld our complaint and re-imbursed us since we couldn't get any reasonable resolution with these people.

- Rude, doesn't adher to own policies, cannot ship goods, only good for taking your money and not providing goods

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 8 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 28, 2012

I ordered a book at the start of December 2010 and it still hasn't been dispatched - today is March 7th 2011.
It was meant to be a gift for my Dad for Christmas.
Avoid at all costs.

- 3 months since order and still nothing.
No contact, no apology, nothing.
Just took the money and that was it.

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 14 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2012

This website is easy to navigate, easy to place an order and usually no hiccups when paying. Great selection of titles and informtive newsletter. Packaging is excellent. Strong, durable, recyclable and books always arrive in pristine condition.

+ Reliable, sometimes offer free postage within Australia

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Prompt and Well-Packed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2012

Our order was filled promptly though this was the Christmas/New Year festive season. The packing was excellent and the book arrived in immaculate condition - we might have bought it over the counter at a local bookseller's. The price being also excellent we are delighted.

+ prompt, well-packed, inexpensive

Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2012

Book was exactly as described. Well packaged and super quick delivery. Easy transaction. Will use them again and recommend them

+ Great service, Well packaged, Super Fast Delivery, Reasonable posting costs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2010

Appalling, don't use them ever. This was my first time with them and it will definitely my last, for all of the reasons mentioned above. They are very quick to take your money and very slow to fill your order, I still don't know if I'll receive the bulk of it.

+ None (Seems good on the surface but in reality even books listed as "in stock" are not in stock)

- Very slow delivery - more than a fortnight after making the order I am still to receive part of my order; lies about shipping dates - the last part of my order supposedly shipped 1 week ago, yet I am still to receive it (I only live 30kms away!); appalling customer service - they don't answer emails and are rude on phone calls - customer service is non-existent.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 24, 2009

Disgusted and will never use again. I ordered on Dec 5th for delivery before xmas - it is now 3pm 24th Dec and I haven't received my order yet. Someone misses out on a xmas present because of this and all they have to say is "I don't know what to tell you, I guess it got held up in the mail.".

I strongly advise against using this company's services.

+ Umm...can't think of any - except that I am supporting an Australian business (although from my contact with them, it doesn't appear to be Australians running the business).

- False advertising - they have minimal books in stock and order from the US when you place your order. I ordered 2 books thinking they were coming from Australia and would be here within 7-10 days (more than enough time I thought), then got an email saying they needed to be ordered from the US and would arriving at their warehouse in 16 days, then be shipped to me. Really slow delivery, very very rude customer service (email and phone - email wasn't even proper english either), prices aren't comparable.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2009

For a long time Booktopia was the place you went. And granted they have improved a little bit, and I'm sure they've grown really fast, but their systems haven't. ANyway - I started using Fishpond.com.au. Don't be shocked - they are actually! But they apparently have a huge warehouse and books get here much faster. Plus - cheaper (no GST), plus they offer other things like Amazon does. So I urge everyone...FORESAKE BOOKTOPIA...it's time these rude people got what they deserved.

+ Decent for the best seller high volume books.

- SLOW delivery, rude customer service, terrible looking website, poor search engine, can't find interesting books, only offers books.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2009

When I sent an email expressing that I was disappointed with the slow service though I understood their "terms", I received this rude reply....."We feel somewhat disappointed ourselves. We have fulfilled and met the expectations raised by the terms of our business. The book was not in stock at the time of ordering and had to be ordered in from a supplier. This was stated before you chose to purchase the book. We even offer a link which gives the customer further information about delivery expectations. In this case, the supplier was efficient, our processing was efficient and thus your book arrived and was sent out good time. To write to express your disappointment in a service that has worked according to stated expectations shows some confusion on your part. Your disappointment is not with us, but with yourself. You did not take the time to read the information offered to you. In short, your expectations were not met. However, as you will appreciate, your expectations lie well without our area of expertise. You might like to examine those yourself and then you might see how easily those expectations can lead you into error."

My reply - "your customer service is clearly as good as your shipping service. What a rude response"....

Would never use again.

- Rude customer service. Slow shipping.

Love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 26, 2012

Absolutely fantastic! I had never heard of them before this order, I googled and found the web site so I read the positive reviews and took a punt! Package arrived at my house in good condition within a couple of days. Will definitely use them again! Highly recommend to friends and family :) :)

+ Inexpensive and reliable, fast

Private message

had the book i desparately wanted and was sent to meet fast

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2012

I had been looking to buy this book for ages and just couldnt find it . I went on your site and not only did you have it ,you also had others I had been searching for too. The speed of buying it online and recieving it was so fast . Thanks again and look forward to doing business with you for many years to come

+ fast, inexpensive and definately reliable

Private message

great read but better service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2012

I think Booktopia is very good and I am very happy with the service.My book arrived quickly,was well packed and I am more than happy with the service.I will certainly keep ordering from Booktopia and am looking forward to many years of good reading.There is nothing like holding a book in your hands and enjoying it and not being able to put it down.

+ easy to use the website and quick posting

Private message

I would never go anywhere else.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2012

Always excellent. This is the fifth book I have bought from Booktopia and once again I can only say it was a very good experience. The book arrived as always on time and beutifully packed. The price was also competitive.

Best book store ever!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2012

Have brought four or five books from Booktopia over the last year and haven't had any problems what so ever, well priced, simple to buy and delivers on time. Will buy books from them for years to come.

+ Simple, cheap, reliable and fast

Excellent Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2012

Books arrived in excellent condition, though processing took two days longer than advertised. Well worth the price for delivery, and all information provided by the website about my order was informative yet succinct. Couldn't have asked for better service!

+ reliable, inexpensive, excellent condition of products

- slight delay in shipping

1 of 1193 pages

Hi Booktopia, I placed an order for textbooks on the 5/11, everything said it was in stock in the warehouse and would be shipping in 1-2 business days. It has been 5 days and still no shipping confirmation. I was on hold for ages on the phone to customer service and could never get through so I resorted to chat where whoever I spoke to said this would be shipped today with express shipping. I still have no tracking information and the status of my order has not changed. No one has replied to any of my messages either. As someone who works in customer service for an online retailer, I am absolutely appalled at the customer service I have received! If I do not get this order by Tuesday (12/11) I want a full refund and I will order somewhere else. I need these textbooks for uni. If they said they weren't in stock I never would have ordered them. Can someone please contact me! Thanks.

Eden asked on Nov 10, 2017

Hi Eden,

I'm sorry to hear about this! I'd like to look into it further, could I have your order number please?

Hi,

Order number 6383895. I just need to make sure this is cancelled please, I spoke to someone on facebook today but have not receive a cancellation email

Hi Booktopia, I placed an order on the 29/10 and it has still not been shipped. I need this textbook ASAP. I have attempted to contact via the website and cannot get through on the phone. I’m at the point where I would like to cancel the order, as the customer service has been non-existent. Can someone please contact me here ASAP. Thanks

Holly M asked on Nov 06, 2017

Hi Holly,

I'm really sorry for the trouble you've had getting through to us. Let me look into the order and see what's going on, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Please help - need assistance with a return. Order number 6282529. Waited over an hour on hold, very poor customer service Booktopia. Thanks May

May asked on Nov 06, 2017

Hi May,

I'm really sorry for the wait on the phone, we have been experiencing higher than normal cal volumes.

It looks like you managed to get through to our Live Chat team. Please let me know if we can assist any further.