1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

Terrible service from this bookseller - I ordered three books, two of which were supposed to be delievered within 5-10 days. Fourteen working days later I have still not received them. I emailed twice to cancel the order and never received a reply to either email. Now I have been told I may not be entitled to a refund, and so will have to phone the bank to dispute the payment. A lot of bother for nothing!! Buy your books elsewhere!!

- Everything!

23 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

I would recommend that anyone with an issue gives them a call, rather than email. I was having no luck at all getting a reply via email or live chat. I gave them a call and got things sorted out.

Apparently, despite the website saying they ship books as they arrive, it seems that the wait until the entire order arrives. By giving them a call they said they would ship out what they had straight away.

Still poor customer service, but the phone does produce results

21 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

I ordered books for a bookclub (12 books) I needed them in a hurry, so I made sure to order something they said was in stock and would ship straight away. After waiting for the order I phoned and was told that it wasnt actually in stock. I cancelled the order and asked for a refund which was agreed to. After several phonecalls to condescending extremely unhelpful staff, who acted like they were doing me a favour and over a week later the refund still has not been processed.
I would never use this company again!!!!!!!!!

- Staff, Unavailablity of books, Misrepresentation

19 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

+ Apaprently good prices, good shipping terms etc. Website is reasonabley use friendly and payment procedure is clear ad easy to follow.

- Very poor customer service attitude, descending to outright rudeness over the phone and refusal to supply refund or provide advice when books would arrive.

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

After initially getting quite excited when I found Booktopia.com as their prices seemed reasonable and shipping not too bad I ordered some books for a gift for a pregnant friend. The website said that the books would be shipped in 5 to 10 days depending if they needed to come from overseas. They took my money and then sent me email saying the books were low in quantity at the supplier and for me to ring them in a couple of weeks to see if they had managed to get me one of the last copies. I waited 2 1/2 weeks with no news on whether or not they had got the books or not - my friend had her baby and I had to get her another gift. I rang to ask for a refund and they refused - offering me store credit - which was not acceptable to me. The manager I spoke to was rude and acted like she was doing me a favour and I should be grateful to her. She accused me of not ringing before now to check the status (err... I have a young baby.. I have no time and plus I shouldnt have to do that!!). I have to date recieved no books and no refund and the transaction is pending dispute proceedings through paypal. I would not recommend these people and I will never use them again. Very disapointing.

- rude, slow, extremely poor customer service, appaling policies

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

Avoid them. In the end PayPal upheld our complaint and re-imbursed us since we couldn't get any reasonable resolution with these people.

- Rude, doesn't adher to own policies, cannot ship goods, only good for taking your money and not providing goods

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 8 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 28, 2012

I ordered a book at the start of December 2010 and it still hasn't been dispatched - today is March 7th 2011.
It was meant to be a gift for my Dad for Christmas.
Avoid at all costs.

- 3 months since order and still nothing.
No contact, no apology, nothing.
Just took the money and that was it.

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 14 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2012

This website is easy to navigate, easy to place an order and usually no hiccups when paying. Great selection of titles and informtive newsletter. Packaging is excellent. Strong, durable, recyclable and books always arrive in pristine condition.

+ Reliable, sometimes offer free postage within Australia

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

+ Umm...can't think of any - except that I am supporting an Australian business (although from my contact with them, it doesn't appear to be Australians running the business).

- False advertising - they have minimal books in stock and order from the US when you place your order. I ordered 2 books thinking they were coming from Australia and would be here within 7-10 days (more than enough time I thought), then got an email saying they needed to be ordered from the US and would arriving at their warehouse in 16 days, then be shipped to me. Really slow delivery, very very rude customer service (email and phone - email wasn't even proper english either), prices aren't comparable.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

For a long time Booktopia was the place you went. And granted they have improved a little bit, and I'm sure they've grown really fast, but their systems haven't. ANyway - I started using Fishpond.com.au. Don't be shocked - they are actually! But they apparently have a huge warehouse and books get here much faster. Plus - cheaper (no GST), plus they offer other things like Amazon does. So I urge everyone...FORESAKE BOOKTOPIA...it's time these rude people got what they deserved.

+ Decent for the best seller high volume books.

- SLOW delivery, rude customer service, terrible looking website, poor search engine, can't find interesting books, only offers books.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

When I sent an email expressing that I was disappointed with the slow service though I understood their "terms", I received this rude reply....."We feel somewhat disappointed ourselves. We have fulfilled and met the expectations raised by the terms of our business. The book was not in stock at the time of ordering and had to be ordered in from a supplier. This was stated before you chose to purchase the book. We even offer a link which gives the customer further information about delivery expectations. In this case, the supplier was efficient, our processing was efficient and thus your book arrived and was sent out good time. To write to express your disappointment in a service that has worked according to stated expectations shows some confusion on your part. Your disappointment is not with us, but with yourself. You did not take the time to read the information offered to you. In short, your expectations were not met. However, as you will appreciate, your expectations lie well without our area of expertise. You might like to examine those yourself and then you might see how easily those expectations can lead you into error."

My reply - "your customer service is clearly as good as your shipping service. What a rude response"....

Would never use again.

- Rude customer service. Slow shipping.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2012

Appalling, don't use them ever. This was my first time with them and it will definitely my last, for all of the reasons mentioned above. They are very quick to take your money and very slow to fill your order, I still don't know if I'll receive the bulk of it.

+ None (Seems good on the surface but in reality even books listed as "in stock" are not in stock)

- Very slow delivery - more than a fortnight after making the order I am still to receive part of my order; lies about shipping dates - the last part of my order supposedly shipped 1 week ago, yet I am still to receive it (I only live 30kms away!); appalling customer service - they don't answer emails and are rude on phone calls - customer service is non-existent.

1 of 1796 pages

Hi booktopia, my order number is #5822334. It's been more than a month since I ordered my books. I left a message, but no reply. I also made phone calls several times waiting more than 30mins and i gave up. If the books are not available, please organise a refund asap. Thank you. Angela

Angela asked on Jul 23, 2017

Hello, I ordered a text book on 07Jul17 which was immediately debited from my paypal account. Currently the status is pending with the book out of stock and more stock is expected on 11Jul17. It is now the 20Jul17 and there is no new update. I have attempted to contact booktopia regarding my order #5883708 via both the website message system and phone. My messages have gone unanswered and the wait time on the phone appears to be extremely long no matter what time of day I call. Any update would be greatly appreciated, if unable to stock please contact me in order to arrange refund asap! Regards, Tara

Tara asked on Jul 20, 2017

Dear Booktopia, I ordered a textbook on the 16th July which I need in time before uni commences. At the time of order it was in stock but I received an update on 18th July reading thete is "Currently no stock. Expecting more on 31-Jul-17". Does this mean booktopia will definitely have the book by the 31st? When can I expect to receive the textbook? If the issue continues will I be notified and given refund as I will have to look at buying the book elsewhere! My order number is 5914092. Thanks, Rachael

LisaBrinks asked on Jul 19, 2017