Where is my order??? NEVER AGAIN

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2018

I placed an order and the confirmation stated "one of the books supplier had low stock and you were trying to secure one of their last copies" I have had no response since, ive been sitting on 1800 for over 45 minutes-no one available!! Its been a week since the order was placed, no further contact from Booktopia, When will rest of my order be delivered & what will i get?? Off to the local book store next time, Payment processed to my credit card immediately, customers expect the same quick service. Alas, pleasant, over worked, very stressed young lady answered,53 minutes later! I should have got email, but did not Sorry, and no booktopia cant supply that book! The rest of my order now sent Express!! But i will have to wait a few days for my refund!!
Never again

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm so sorry you haven't received your order yet. Let me look into it, what's your order number?

Melbourne

Really disappointing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2018

I ordered a Christmas gift in November and was advised that it would be in stock by 7/12 and to contact thereafter if it hadn't arrived. I heard nothing and saw that the order status hadn't been updated so I sent a number of emails and attempted calling, with no response. Managed to do Live Chat today to find that the order won't be available for Christmas. The lack of information was due to 'high levels of contact at this time". I would have expected that Booktopia would take this into account in their planning and recruitment. I now have no gift and no time to source it from elsewhere. Timely notification of the issue would have addressed the problem. Very disappointing. Be careful about placing orders at Christmas time - if your order comes back as 'out of stock' but due in before Christmas I would be very cautious and look elsewhere.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Fiona,

I'm very sorry to hear this. Let me look into it further, could I grab your order number?

Jessica

8215307, just really disappointed with the lack of information. The first response i had on live chat quoted the wrong product title. when i queried that, i was told it was a cut and paste from ano... read more »

Verified Customer

Buyer beware - not worth the hassle

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2018

I would strongly suggest that people avoid purchasing from this online store. I tried for the first time and was endlessly lied to and stuffed around. I purchased several books and spent over $100, and their website stated all items were in stock and available for next day dispatch. A few days passed without them being posted, so I enquired as to the status of my order. I was told it would be posted that day. It wasn't. I called back the following day and was told it would be posted that day. It wasn't. I called back the following day and assured it would be posted that day. It wasn't. This went on until it is now exactly 1 week after my purchase date. You have to constantly follow up/chase your order with them (and still don't get anywhere). Their dispatch and estimated delivery claims on their website are definitely misleading to the customer. You will receive an item much quicker buying from overseas from the Book Depository. I hope this review prevents others from buying from here and being stuffed around like I am.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Cat,

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Let me look into this to see what went wrong, could I grab your order number please?

Canberra

• 2 questions
  • 1 answer

Verified Customer

I ordered over a month ago - still not received

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2018

I ordered over a month ago - still not received the book I ordered. It took them 3 weeks to get in touch with me telling me that it wasnt in stock at the suppliers and now I have to wait another 10-15 days for stock at another supplier. BUT I have to add another week to my wait time because they sent me an email if I still wanted it on a Thursday, I replied Friday morning, they contacted me on Monday again to see if I wanted it, I replied Tuesday saying AGAIN I wanted the book. They confirmed an order from the new supplier on Wednesday.

Customer service online is bad
Holding 46 mins on the phone is worse, but its what I had to do to get my shipping address changed because there is no way this is going to arrive before Christmas and I wont be at my work address to receive the parcel. I then got a lecture from customer service that it would add 5 days for a redirection (but the items haven't been sent to me yet, so I was NOT asking for a redirection. I was asking for a change of shipping address - this took the person on the phone a whole minute to figure out what I wanted. She was looking at a book that was already sent to me and received, telling me that I cant redirect it and it would add 5 days to the delivery time.) Pathetic.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Leo,

Sorry to hear this. Let me look into this further to see what went wrong with the supplier and how we handled your enquiry, can I grab your order number please?

Jessica

8253586 and 8057783 Also, I just checked and my orders changed to have the package left without a signature. Why? I don't want my Christmas presents left at the door of my parents home where the Ch... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Leo, Thanks for that! I can see that 8253586 has just been completed, this was gift wrapped and shipped this morning ahead of the shipping time frame. It's going to the updated address you gave... read more »

• 5 comments

Extremely unreliable

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2018

Shipping commitments are meaningless and customer service is laissez-faire. Now have to chase my refund.
Will never purchase from this seller again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Chri53,

Let me look into it for you, could I grab your order number please?

Lara

The crystal code

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2018

Received these today..two books, the same condition.Dog earred..all dirty. Really wish i could upload a photo. Has happened before in the past but have let it go. These are presents though. Won't buy from Booktopia again and customer service is pathetic. Been on hold oner half an hour now.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Bell,

I'm so sorry to hear your items arrived in this condition! Let me sort out replacements for you, could I have your order number please?

8192651

Booktopia Official

Hi Bell, I can see my colleague Keira has already organised some replacements for you, we're just waiting on these copies to be brought into Customer Service so we can personally check them and en... read more »

I have bought 2 books from this company, the books never arrived

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

I bought a bookin 2017 from these people, now Dec 2018.
I bought a book previously in 2015.
Neither of the books arrived.
When I contacted customer service, you get no service.
Apparently in their small print you have to contact Booktopia within 6 weeks, of the purchase date.
By which time you have all but given up the book receval and completely forgotten about it.
Booktopia are money grabbers and have no respect for their clients.
Shouldn't they make a follow up email to ask how the book is and if you are happy with their service.
Booktopia will go the way of all book stores, to oblivion with this type od after sales service.
I lost over $150 on the books.
Enjoy my money Booktopia, last you get.
I will use Amazon your service is appalling.
Dragon8888.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Dragon8888, I'm sorry you didn't received your order placed in 2017. It's a little unusual to chase up an order placed 18 months ago, and we do provide a tracking number at the time an order is... read more »

• 3 comments
  • 5 helpful votes

Can't recommend

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

Something seems to have gone wrong at Booktopia. Have ordered before with no problems. This time ordered 12 items, 10 of which were in stock and available with "shipped in 1-3 days" label on their site. 16 days later no items have been delivered and I've received a shipping notice for only 3 of the items with an expected delivery in 3 more days.

No answer to either of my emails. 40 min wait on phone to speak to customer service, who were pleasant and gave assurances and offer of free express post, but that was 4 days ago and I still have had no more shipping notifications.

I ordered 3 weeks in advance of when I needed some the items, I'm worried that I'm not going to have any of them in time. If you are relying on the advertised shipping and delivery times I would buy elsewhere.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear this order hasn't been shipped on time. Let me look into it for you, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Thanks for your reply. I wrote this a couple of days ago. Fortunately there has been an update since then. After another call to customer service, the staff member acknowledged there was a problem ... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi FeijoaGreen, It definitely sounds like something didn't go quite right, I'm really sorry for the wait you experienced. I am very glad to hear it was resolved, thanks for bringing it to our atte... read more »

Belmore SOUTH - Sydney

• 3 comments
  • 29 helpful votes
Private message

Get ready for a constant flood of UNSOLICITED pop-ups! Infuriating!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Very annoying how Booktopia continually hounds you with unsolicited pop-ups clogging every single website you open! This infuriates me. I have politely requested that they desist from this annoying, slimy practice.....but they continue to hound me.

I prefer Book Depository, who are less likely to hound you incessantly like a starving dog chasing a bone.

Brisbane

Private message

Zero contact with customers when something goes wrong

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

Very disappointed that paying $15 for next day delivery doesn't actually work despite my address being listed as a next day delivery area. The book was a gift for a friend going away, hence the need for its arrival the next day. So now I am left with the book I was unable to give as a gift. Even more disappointing is the lack of response from booktopia to any of my three enquiries over the last week about the situation or a refund on my shipping amount (which was the same as the cost of the actual book).

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi EJH,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. Let me look into this, what was your order number?

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2018

Your website is the most frustrating that I have had the displeasure to deal with. Won't recognise me. Had the same problem last time I used it. Now the same password, won't accept it. Is this the best you can do???

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Gazza,

Let me see if I can resolve this for you, do you have previous order number I can search to find your account details?

Jessica

Last order number was 8000717. No account number on the invoice. I was forced to try a new password, but then it wouldn't let me use my email address as you said it was already being used. YES BY ME. gOOD LUCK.

Hi Gazza,

I've sent you an email with some details on how you can sign into your account.

An absolute JOKE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

I ordered a book 6 weeks ago with standard delivery of 7-10 days. It’s now been 6 weeks and my book still has not arrived!
It took me to reach out to them to did out the book is not in stock

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Laura,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into it further to see what happened, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, it’s a bit late now
I would like my full refund by eod Friday (tomorrow)
It’s Been 6 weeks!

Hi Laura,

I will most definitely check on the refund for you, I just need to grab your order number.

Brisbane

My order

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

Some years ago I was a customer of Booktopia until I was fed up with their then lousy customer service. Some days ago I decided to give them another go, hoping their service today may be as reliable as Amazon, Amazon.de or Book Depository. No, it isn't. I ordered a book from their website only to get an email telling me they "run out" again, expecting a new delivery on 07-11-18 (ordered 31-10-18). Today is 08-11-18 and I still haven't heard from them.Of course, no offer to reimburse the money paid. Some months ago I ordered a camera lens in Hongkong. They also had run out but they gave me the choice: do you want to cancel the order or do you want to wait. I choose to wait and 3 days later they send the lens. As for this order, I'd rather cancel the order and buy from Book Depository.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Gerd,

Let me look into this for you, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

On the 09-11-18 I received the email telling me that my order was posted.

Buyer beware

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2018

Took my money, then got an email stating my order was out of stock.

Just another business finding ways to rort us.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Aido,

Let me look into this for you. Could I grab your order number please?

• 7 comments
  • 3 questions
  • 2 answers
  • 41 helpful votes

Buying E books from Booktopia

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2018

I wanted a book an electronic copy it didnt have a lot of information ? now you have to download and adobe reader etc i asked for a refund and explained by circumstances but couldn't get a refund "Dont buy any e books from this company"

Guildford

Camel train

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2018

Paid for on the 13/10, still waiting on the 22/10.
For a book in stock it is not possible to be this slow.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear. Let me check this for you, could I grab your order number please?

No delivery

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

My books were not delivered to the delivery address. There was no card to say a delivery was attempted and my staff are here from 7am Monday - Friday.
I found the books at Post Office some 20 kilometres from the delivery address.
StarTrack lie about their attempts to deliver to this address.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Val,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into this further to see what went wrong, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

Hello Jessica, Please accept my apology as I mistook this order for another. I received the books in good time and were delivered to the correct address.

Hi Val,

No worries, I'm glad to hear everything went okay. Be sure to get in touch if we can ever assist with an order. :)

Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

I ordered through Booktopia as the delivery was supposed to be the next business day and I was going on holidays and wanted to take the books with me. Unfortunately after ordering I was informed on the day they were due arrive that the books were delayed and there was no indication given of when they would arrive. As a result I didn't receive them before I left and they sat on my doorstep until I got home. Next time I will go to a bookstore and buy over the counter.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Sue,

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me look into it further, could I could grab your order number please?

Melbourne

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

You couldn't manage to email?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

Ordered a book online, got the PayPal confirmation and order confirmation from Booktopia. I was very busy at the time and so forgot about it for a couple of weeks. Went through my emails to check I hadn't imagined placing the order because nothing had arrived. No further correspondence from Booktopia as to the status of my order. Logged in online and looked at my account to see that the order had been cancelled at their end because the book was out of stock.

Here's my thoughts:
1. If it's out of stock, why do you have it for sale online?
2. You don't have the courtesy to email to advise your customers when you cancel an order?

Well if you can't be bothered with an email, neither can I and I decided to publicly voice my thoughts rather than contacting Booktopia direct. I won't be bothering with this company again. How incredibly arrogant and rude.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mellen,

Sorry to hear. I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Sydney

• 3 helpful votes

Absolutely Hopeless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

After my first time ordering with Booktopia, I will never again make the same mistake. I ordered 26 August not realising that there is actually a 7-10 day lead time as the stock is ordered direct from the supplier. This was my own fault as I did not read this before ordering, but was happy to wait. Today on the 14 September I decided to contact Booktopia as it was past the 7-10 days and I had not received any further updates on the order. I was informed that there had been a glitch and the stock was never ordered from the supplier and I would have to wait another 7-10 days before it could even be shipped. I do not understand how this happens and why I was not informed until I contacted support nearly three weeks after ordering. Overall my experience with this website has been incredibly disappointing. I will not be returning and would encourage others to also avoid.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Dana,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, As mentioned in the review, I have already cancelled the order as I am not willing to wait another 7-10 business days on top of the 3 weeks I have already waited. Could you please ex... read more »

1 of 1492 pages