Cancelled a preorder

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2017

I preordered a signed edition days before it was publish. Not only did the site continue to tell me that the book wasn't published well after it had been, I had to contact them only to find out the book would be received 8-10 days after it had been published, something that had not been mentioned before. My order was then spontaneously cancelled, saying that the title was no longer available, despite preordering before the publication date, with no compensation besides a refund. If you are looking to buy a signed copy of a book, which they have many, do not use.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Lucy,

I'm sorry to hear about this! I'd like to look into this further and see what happened. Could I have your order number please?

Brisbane

• 2 comments

Poor Customer Serivce

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

Paid for Gift Wrapping - book arrived unwrapped! Sent email via the My Messages system (much harder than sending an email) on 14/11 & still no response on 21/11.......

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Sophie,

I'm so sorry about that! Let me sort out a refund for you, could I have your order number please?

Order#: 6402552

Thank you for your prompt action Jessica!

Booktopia Official

Hi Sophie, Thanks for providing your order number! I'm sorry the order didn't arrive as expected but I've gone ahead and requested a refund for both the Gift Wrapping and the delivery cost. This i... read more »

Book arrived badly torn

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2017

Book arrived in large cardboard parcel with back cover terribly torn and folded. Packaging was robust so appears that the book was already damaged before being packed away. I have taken photos. Very disappointed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Nguyet, I’m so sorry to hear this! I’ll organise for a replacement to be sent to you, and I’ll personally check the book before it’s packed to ensure it’s in excellent condition. Could I have y... read more »

Shocking

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

An order of 3 books. First book took fifteen days before was dispatched still waiting on other two to be sent. When email was sent asking how much longer there was no apology just excuses

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Nicole,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look into this further and see if I can get an update to you ASAP.

Gold coast

• 5 comments
Private message

Do not buy from Booktopia!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2017

Ordered text books for university, waited a week no update online. Sent two messages, no reply. Called today only to find out they never had the books in stock and one wasn't going to be coming for at least another week. False and misleading and absolutely pathetic customer service. Will never ever order a book from Booktopia again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Sammy,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look into this further and see what happened. Could I have your order number please?

Jessica

6354300 will never use booktopia again and will be advising all other students and colleagues never to use your unreliable non communicating services.

Booktopia Official

Hi Sammy, Thanks for providing your order number! I've had a look into it and I can see that the items you purchased had shipping time frames of 5-9 business days and 15 business days. We apologis... read more »

Waiting a long time

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

I ordered on the 21 October and yet to receive the book. I have tried messaging but no reply, if I could I would like to refund or exchange the book.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jaso,

I'm sorry to hear about this! Let me take a look into the order, what's your order number?

Jessica

damaged books and no one got back to me

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

I ordered books they were damaged (dirty and bent spines). Sent an email and never heard back from them. I was so disappointed as they were Christmas gifts.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Danken,

I'm really sorry to hear about this! Let me sort this out for you, could I have the order number and the titles of the damaged items?

Email overload

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

Please please stop sending me emails. I would never have bought from you if I knew this would happen. Have unsubscribed heaps of time to no avail. Won't buy from you ever again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Christine, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble unsubscribing. You can manage your Newsletter Preferences by signing into your Booktopia account and clicking "Newsletter Preferences". There'... read more »

Melbourne

• 3 comments

Verified Customer

Expensive. No refund offered even though it hasn't been dispatched. No reply on messages.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2017

I bought some books from Booktopia cost me $92 plus $7 shipping. It says take 7-10 days to ship.
A few days later, I found I can get the same book from somewhere else for $60 with free shipping. Booktopia refuses to offer refund although it hasn't even shipped yet.
The book also says come with an online component. I asked specifically on this matter through the message system, however, no response has ever been received.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Roger, I've investigated and found that the order shipped on time, and well within the originally advise time frame. As your query did not request for a refund, and the order was progressing on... read more »

You replied within the inbox asking for my order number to process refund. I gave the order number. No reply or refund has been received. The order was shipped after I sent multiple messages.

Booktopia Official

Hi Roger, I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. We sought your order number to investigate the situation. Considering the order shipped on time, and you never requested a refund before it had shippe... read more »

sydney

Private message

No updates on order status then no book !!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

Ordered a book. Received a message that I have the last one in stock but will take 2 weeks to come. Two weeks later no book and no further information. So I ring. Customer Service person says there are actually none of my book available. " .. Are you getting more in ? ... we will have to wait for further advice ... OK .. will you let me know .. yes ". Now its yet another week gone by .. no notifications .. nothing. Very poor .. if you take someones money when an order is placed (and put it in your bank account) then the person expects the merchandise to arrive AND if late coming then some REGULAR communication. I shouldn't have to follow you up.
Anyways .. I went to Dymocks on-line .. very easy .. and clear email communications. Book arrived.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Rob,

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look further into the order and see what went wrong, could I have your order number please?

Booktopia Official

Hi Rob, Thanks for providing your order number! I'm really sorry for the delay you've experienced and that my colleague hasn't gotten back to you yet - unfortunately due to an extended absence, an... read more »

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Try ordering here - total frustration

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

Should not be in business
Cannot place an order on their website
Help line places you on hold for 5 minutes plus

Want frustration here it is

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Rob, I'm sorry to hear you were having some trouble ordering from us! With the busy Christmas season approaching we do have quite a few customers who need some assistance placing their orders h... read more »

Jessica,

OK ..... thanks for responding, I couldn’t complete the order on your website, then there was no response on your Helplne. Should be simple ... but it wasn’t. Perhaps you were having an off day ?

Rob

Booktopia Official

Hi Rob, We were having longer waits that day so we're sorry for that. That's why we have made Live Chat available on our website to provide instant assistance for these types of problems. Just l... read more »

Poor customer service for a former regular

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2017

Charged twice for last order, corrected in a weeks time. Partially shipped order, 5 weeks later still waiting after no response via messages and being on hold numerous times never speaking to a representative. Never had a issue with them till now but definitely looking elsewhere now, somewhat surprised given previous history but they've lost me and good luck if u use them getting full order and seems harder to contact them for some reason

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi MrT, We have had a bit of a spike in customer contact lately due to the approaching Christmas Season. I'm sorry for trouble you've had getting in touch! If I could grab your order number, I wi... read more »

The Letters of Private Wheeler

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2017

Ordered a book and gift wrap 2 weeks ago and because it hadn't arrived I contacted support (support person was helpful - Rico) only to find out they do not have the book in stock and have no idea when it was coming in. Poor service to only find out about this because i contacted them.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Liam,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look further into it and see what went wrong, could I have your order number?

Non responsive.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2017

Took two weeks to despatch my books. My two emails have not been answered and twice I gave up on the phone after a total of 21 minutes on hold.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Gary,

I'm sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into this further and see what happened, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, order # 6117987. Books have now arrived. Did get a belated reply to one email telling me how busy you all have been. Not satisfactory explanation as far as I am concerned. Tells me you ... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Gary, I can see that the items you purchased normally ship within 5-9 business days however the shipped late on the 10th business day. We're sorry about this. Due to other issues we haven't be... read more »

Ordered 3 weeks ago still haven't received and messages have gone unanswered

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2017

Ordered a book on the 29 th of August I have still yet to receive this book and my message to book topics has gone unanswered. Also my attempts to call the 1300 number were unsuccessful. Order number is 6089161

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Grace, I'm sorry for the delay with your order and for the lack of contact. I've responded to the message you sent with an update, and upgraded the order to Express Post to ensure the item reac... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

non delivery

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2017

My book was to be delivered on Wednesday 13th September. The tracking advice was that it was delivered. On Thursday 14th I contacted Booktopia on 1300187187 to seek advice and was told that an enquirery would be made to Aust Post. I have had no advice since. My order no is 6122998. My attempts to ring the 1300 number has not been successful

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there, I'm sorry about that, delivery investigations with Australia Post can take a few business days to be completed however I can see that my colleague has since organised for a replacement t... read more »

Jessica
Thank you for the prompt attention to my concerns. I am appreciate this and am very happy with the service I have experienced. Again, many thanks.
Jean

joyner

Private message

Paperback book contents are very different compare to hardcopy.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2017

The contents of the paperback book are very different compared to the hardcopy. Many important diagrams were missing and Booktopia did not warn readers before they put order in. Those diagrams are important part of this book i bought.

September 21st 2017 Update: After sale support

Here is what Booktopia response: (after they know something wrong in the paperback book. They said it’s not their fault. So aren’t we all?)

Hi Coty,
Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately we don't have the hardcover in stock so I wouldn't be able to compare them side-by-side. Regardless, the publisher did mention that the diagrams that had colour were removed. This is something we have no control over as a retailer.
If the book will not suit your needs, you can return it to us for a store credit as long as it's in resale condition. Unfortunately we cannot exchange returned items however you can use the credit to purchase something else.
If you still have the packaging you can reuse this to send the item(s) back. Pack securely with cardboard or bubble wrap protecting the product, ensure the item is enclosed so there is little movement in the package, cross out your address on the shipping label and write "Return to Sender" on the parcel. Drop it into a standard red Australia Post box and it will be returned to us by Australia Post. Please make sure you do not go to a post office to do this, they will attempt to charge you for returning it to us. Just put it in the red Australia Post box.
If you no longer have the packaging you are responsible for the return and for the payment of shipping. Please package suitably, using the instructions above, and address to "Booktopia Returns, Unit E1, 3-29 Birnie Ave, Lidcombe, NSW, 2141."
Please include your order number so the return can be identified as yours. Once the product is received back, we will issue the store credit and you will receive an e-mail once it’s been completed. If you have any other questions please let us know.
[name removed]

September 24th 2017 Update: Not going to use this shop in the future

The booktopia only point its finger to others, not reviewing its internal after sale service processes. After several communications with this company, i have no intention to use its service anymore. Bought a paperback book called "the brain". This version removed all of its valuable diagrams, charts that made it not worthy to read. The booktopia at the beginning wrongly quoted from the publisher that the hard copy was the same as the paperback, but they found out later it's not the same. The booktopia asked me to send back by paying the mailing fee.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Coty, The publisher of a book will usually use the exact same content between paperback and hardcovers, the difference is normally just the quality of the item. I'm sorry to hear that some con... read more »

Jessica, order number is 6122987. I did write to Booktopia, but nothing came back.

Hi Coty,

Thanks for providing your order number. I've contacted the publisher of the book about this and will respond to the message you've sent to us once I've heard back from them.

Extremely disappointed - No customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Placed an order on the 27th of July, the book was said to be "partially shipped" and that more stock would arrive around the 4th of August. One and a half month later and still no reply either from the online message centre and I called multiple times and all customer service representatives were "too busy" to answer the call. Terrible service and extremely disappointed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Shay,

I'm sorry to hear about this. Let me look into it and sort it out for you, could I have your order number please?

Brisbane

• 2 comments

Talking to myself..

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2017

5 weeks later, still waiting for the rest of my order, sent a couple of messages, no response. It's well passed the expected arrival date. Called up customer service, was told my order would arrive the beginning of this week, it's now Friday and the status of my order is still 'Currently no stock'. This is taking too long and there has been no communication from their online team. Disappointing.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jorel,

I'm sorry to hear. I'd like to look into this further and provide an update ASAP, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, Thanks for your reply. My order number is 6012623, I received 1 of the 2 books I'm waiting for, on Wednesday 13/09/17. I'm waiting on 1 more book and I'd really appreciate some... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Jorel, Thanks for providing your order number! I'm so sorry for the delay you experienced with this order, we were unfortunately having some supply-chain issues with one of our suppliers. The g... read more »

Fathers Day gift didn't arrive in time.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2017

I paid for express post on Thursday, package arrived Monday. An email should have been sent telling me it wouldnt arrive in time.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Keryn, I'm sorry to hear this. We do advise when you select the Express Post option that we will ship the parcel the next business day. Australia Post then usually take a business day to delive... read more »

1 of 1193 pages

Hi Booktopia, I placed an order for textbooks on the 5/11, everything said it was in stock in the warehouse and would be shipping in 1-2 business days. It has been 5 days and still no shipping confirmation. I was on hold for ages on the phone to customer service and could never get through so I resorted to chat where whoever I spoke to said this would be shipped today with express shipping. I still have no tracking information and the status of my order has not changed. No one has replied to any of my messages either. As someone who works in customer service for an online retailer, I am absolutely appalled at the customer service I have received! If I do not get this order by Tuesday (12/11) I want a full refund and I will order somewhere else. I need these textbooks for uni. If they said they weren't in stock I never would have ordered them. Can someone please contact me! Thanks.

Eden asked on Nov 10, 2017

Hi Eden,

I'm sorry to hear about this! I'd like to look into it further, could I have your order number please?

Hi,

Order number 6383895. I just need to make sure this is cancelled please, I spoke to someone on facebook today but have not receive a cancellation email

Hi Booktopia, I placed an order on the 29/10 and it has still not been shipped. I need this textbook ASAP. I have attempted to contact via the website and cannot get through on the phone. I’m at the point where I would like to cancel the order, as the customer service has been non-existent. Can someone please contact me here ASAP. Thanks

Holly M asked on Nov 06, 2017

Hi Holly,

I'm really sorry for the trouble you've had getting through to us. Let me look into the order and see what's going on, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Please help - need assistance with a return. Order number 6282529. Waited over an hour on hold, very poor customer service Booktopia. Thanks May

May asked on Nov 06, 2017

Hi May,

I'm really sorry for the wait on the phone, we have been experiencing higher than normal cal volumes.

It looks like you managed to get through to our Live Chat team. Please let me know if we can assist any further.