Model: 26e Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Great system

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2018

Hi. Excellent system. Mist people complain about the performance of this system. I had problems with water not hot enough or cutting out frequently. I called my plumber and he found that the pipe going into the system was too small (15mm). So when i turned on my gas cooktop or ducted gas heating, it would cut out the hot water system. Requires minimum of 20mm to operate correctly. All i can say to those people complaining is, get your plumber to check the pipework going into the hot water system and any other gas appliance you have. You may have same problem as I did.

Comments
Bosch Hot Water & Heating Official

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, Bill. The team at Bosch Hot Water & Heating are pleased to know that you’re enjoying your system. Since the Electronic Highflow is a continu... read more »

• 5 comments

Model: 26e Date Purchased: May 2018

TERRIBLE..NO HOT WATER ONE WEEK OF NIGHTMARE

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 30, 2018

I have has this system for one week..kitchen sink is full of cold water by the time water is hot..the bathroom sinks have no hot water and ahower runs for 40 seconds before water is warm..Agl had to upgrade my has meter for this sustem which has knocked out my ducted heating alzo..I will be requesting a refund!

Adelaide

• 18 answers

Model: 21e Date Purchased: Apr 2015

Never Missed a Beat

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2018

The old storage gas hot water system in the roof cavity failed after 30 years (Beasley) but it was installed during major additions and to replace it would mean removing part of the roof or ceiling. So we had a Bosch 21e installed outside. It has been 3 years and it has been reliable with no problems at all. I installed a BOSCH MAIN CONTROLLER YPRM67XBN (about $100) not long after the heater was installed and it was the best thing I ever did. We rarely need to use cold water because the controller can be set to any temperature between 37 and 50ºC. My wife and I prefer different temperatures so we just adjust the controller before taking a shower. In winter I use a setting of 40ºC and in summer I use the lowest setting of 37ºC. My only criticism is the temperature settings at the lowest level is inaccurate. 37ºC is below body temperature so it should feel cool. But on hot days it's sometimes too warm for me and I add cold water. Have recently bought a Bathroom Controller YPRS67XBN which will replace the main controller in the bathroom. The Main Controller will be moved to the kitchen. I note many complaints about the Bosch 21e and can only say use a good plumber. Our plumber made sure there was sufficient gas pressure and no leaks between the meter and the house.
The Bosch 21e gives us a much better shower than the previous roof storage heater, and the gas bill has not changed noticeably.

Model: 17e Date Purchased: Apr 2017

be very wary

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2017

model 16E - wished I had never brought it. Wastage of cold water is a major problem for me, at least 5 to 9 litres of cold water just for 2 showers in the morning, then the kitchen cold water add that on pure wastage. spoke to a plumber who installs another well known brand rang gas works and a technician came and re-tuned it, shut this did that and is now working like it should have been.

Perth, Western Australia

Model: 21e Date Purchased: Nov 2009

Excellent hws.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2017

This hws has been totally reliable and great at supplying us piping hot water over the past several years. It has never even been serviced oops.
I am wanting to be able to adjust the water temp now though as our new dishwasher needs a lower temp for ingoing water (there is only a connection to a hot water pipe).
I am unable to open the 4 screws on the unit.. done up so tight, none will budge. As I need to call a plumber out to adjust temp anyway, I was wondering if a controller can be added to the unit and will it give me the full range of temps ie 50 to 75 degrees? How much do the controllers cost approx.?

Adelaide

Model: 17e Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Definitely not instant & very expensive,

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2017

I changed from solar to instant gas in an effort to save water. What a let down. I need to run my 'instant' hot water twice as longas my old solar took to heat up. The cost was exhorbitant. Over $3000. now I have to pay for the power and waste twice as much water. Do not buy!

Model: 26e Date Purchased: May 2017

Terrible! Get a Rinnai instead!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2017

Ever since installation a couple of months ago, this unit has not been dependable. Water + gas available but unit does not fire up as it should. I was told it's a software issue... I run a guesthouse and I can't have an unit I can't depend on.
I have insisted to my plumber that I want this unit OUT and a Rinnai IN. My previous unit lasted for 15 years before needing to be replaced!

Perth

• 1 helpful vote

Model: 26e Date Purchased: Jan 2012

Turns off in winter when the temperature outside is low

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

It worked good the first couple of years and just before the expiry of the warranty it started turning off and the water wouldn't flow at all. We called Bosch and they said to call the plumber and do a maintenance. We did a maintenance in autumn but when winter came it stopped working again, this time the water running but no hot water at all. It can start again after turning on and off for 10 times but Leaving the children by themselves in the shower to run outside in the rain to switch it off and on again is a big risk. Not happy at all with this system. It was annoying that Bosch didn't care and told us to call our plumber, I think there is a problem with this hot water system and they need to offer replacement with different model. It was still under warranty and I think when we bought it there was mentioned that there is a 10 year warranty
on some parts, what a joke.

Perth

Model: 21e Date Purchased: May 2017

Rob, Adelaide

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2017

We have had a Bosch HWS in WA and it worked well. You have commented that the 21e unit would not work on cold/wet/windy mornings. Would you mind saying HOW you fixed your Bosch 21e. We have a new 26e and it takes ages for the hot water to be delivered a short distance of 2 metres. Many thanks.

Perth, WA

• 3 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Model: 21e Date Purchased: Dec 2015

OMG - This is living!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2017

You don't know you have lived until you purchase a hot water system with remote temperature controller units.

Firstly the house we bought back in 2015 had a 10L/pm unit in, can't remember the brand but they are common as muck and the hot water trickles out.

Going from 10L/pm to 21 was like a dam busting open full of hot water.

We bought our unit 2nd hand from a demolition recovery yard for $200 and it has worked flawlessly in the 18months we have owned it.

I went out and bought 2 remote temp control pads and fitted to the bathroom and kitchen @ around $70ea off ebay. There is nothing better being able to step into the bathroom and turn up or down the temp based on how you are feeling and then just turn the hot water tap on and the water is streaming out everytime at the temp you selected.

It also makes it very safe for kids in the bath coz you don't have to mess around wondering if the bath is too hot or cold for them.

Another function is bath fill where you can set how many litres dispenses before it cuts off automatically, good for those feeding time hectic times of night when you are multi-tasking you can turn the tap on and walk away.

The only CON with this and I suppose all new units are they a factory preset to MAX temp of 50oc to prevent scalding which is good, but when it comes to cottons in the washing machine you need 60oc + and 50oc is too cool for the laundry and melting grease off pans in the kitchen.

Model: 21e Date Purchased: Jun 2010

not a right answer

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2017

as I said my 21e problem was, when I opened cold water the system turned on, finally I found the right answer, because I did bathroom renovation there was some air on the pipe and the air pressure on the new pipes caused the system turned on even when I opened the cold water tap.
solution: easy, open the new taps connected to the new pipes and let the air leave pipes, and then every thing back to normal.

adelaide

Model: 21e Date Purchased: Apr 2012

Design flaws that product support don't know how to fix

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2017

I can reinforce comments by at least one other poster on here where their unit failed to fire on cold/wet/windy morning - basically when you need it most. This started happening to me almost without fail just out of warranty.

I first used one of the recommended service providers on the Bosch website who adjusted some levels on the unit, and by that time it was probably dry enough to work anyways. Next cold morning it fails again, so I call him back, but he doesn't know what else to do. So I call Bosch who then say its better to call one of their warranty repairers rather than a service provider detailed on their own website. They end up doing a minor fix. Which again doesn't work the next cold day. Call them up again and they change the gas valve thinking that is the problem. By now i've spent basically as much on repairs as the unit originally cost. Although it came into Spring/Summer then, so I figured it was fixed. Come Winter next year it wasn't.

I had my suspicions Bosch had literally no clue how to fix it, and ended up going to Bunnings spending $5 and fixing it myself. ($2.50 of that was for a sausage sizzle). Kind of wish i'd done that in the first place as it would have saved me a ton of cash. And for two winters my fix has been rock solid. Touch wood.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Cairns

Model: 21e Date Purchased: Mar 2002

Not overly impressed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2017

Have always had temperature fluctuations. Just renovated the bathrooms and found a lot better. Unfortunately the plumber then made us install a pressure reducer at the main tap. Flow restrictors have been removed from the tapware and still shocking. Now worse than ever. Fortunately we don't live in a cold climate.

• 4 answers

Model: 17e Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Very good,no problems to date,own two.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2017

17e has been great! One unit supplying hot water to a food van,another ,domestic supply.
Both units will take some effort to restart should they continue to be used on an empty cylinder.
The restart usually takes 5 minutes with some switching on and off of the power supply.
Best to try and avoid the run-out situation. Simple cylinder changing does not effect units.
Both units 2 plus years old.

adelaide s.a.

• 2 answers

Model: 21e Date Purchased: May 2010

Complete Rubbish. Do not buy one

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2017

Hi, We have had nothing but trouble from this E21 hot water service in the whole time we have had it & has cost us a fortune in plumbers in the 10 years also. Our son who has just left home to move into his own home & has bought a RHEEM and has not had to buy a controller as we did which made no difference to our BOSCH & he is happy as Larry. Do not buy one. kerr5y

June 13th 2017 Update: Hot water

We are very pleased to see the end of our 21e Bosch hot. Water system it was a rusty heap of junk. The system was illegally installed by the bosh installer and it was however nice to see the back of it. If you don't want a rotten shower then don't buy a bosch they really are the worst..

June 14th 2017 Update: Hot water

We had the Bosch for about 7 years and in that time, it was nothing but trouble nothing but cost us money. I would not be able to recommend a bosch to anybody. It finished up going rusty. On the inside and then would not work we now have a Rheem and we are very very happy.

June 28th 2017 Update: 1 star

This is most unreliable gas hot water heater you can ever buy it nothing but trouble.
It was a real heap of junk rusty old rubbish definitely do not buy 1 unless you want to waste your money. The rheem is absolutely amazing and works wonderfully. And I highly recommend the rheem for great hot water.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Hi if you do own a Bosch high flow hot water system and. You are. Having. Trouble your gas regulated is. Over 10. Years old it may be a problem p>.

Melbourne

• 1 helpful vote

Model: 26e Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Bosch Hot Water 26 Continuous Flow unit.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2016

The Bosch 26Lt Continuous Flow unit is a very reliable Hot Water unit which my parents bought one and they are very happy with the unit. I had one in my previous place and I'm going to get one next month. I would recommend the Bosch Hot Water unit 100% they are a very good hot water units.

Purchased at: Tradelink

• 9 answers

Model: 26e Date Purchased: Mar 2013

Unreliable

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2016

I purchased Bosch for its name for reliability and not by price and when I first installed this product it ran without any issues for about 14 months, then it would shut down and not supply water hot or cold. I found pressing the resett button inside it would function again for anywhere between 1 to 3 months. Then it started to fail on a more frequent basis untill finally it would not reset at all. With nothing to lose I disconnected it from the mains, unplugged all the connectors one by one and sprayed with contact cleaner (not normal CRC but CRC Lectraclean 2018) and worked them in and out to clean them before plugging them back together.
I reconnected the power pressed reset and the unit functioned again without fault for about 6 months, when it failed again, at this point I repeated the proceedure and we are at month 3 without a failure. The problem seems to be worse in the winter months so it looks like poor design in the plug and socket department. It is apparently designed to operate outside and my unit is in a protected corner of the house.

Comments

Update
Bosch water died again today so it made it 3 1/2 months worked after reset. but it's a drag, hey Bosch how about a service bulletin or a schematic then I could fix it properly
Graham

Model: 26e

Absolutely terrible product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2016

Only moved into our house in March and we have had nothing but endless problems with hot water cutting in and out and also when swapping the gas bottles. Followed the manufacturers instructions by turning the water and gas off and on numerous times, with no luck. How Bosch ever got these products past quality control is beyond me! I'm off to purchase a Rinaii!

Model: 21e

Money magnet

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2016

Bosch high flow 21e has cost me more money in repairs in the last ten years on parts and labour and now I find out it just cost me another $148 just to tell me I need a new one I know were I would like to stick bosch .

Warburton

• 5 answers

Model: 26e

Failed just outside of warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2016

The Bosch 26e replaced a faithful 20-year-old electric Vulcan freeloader. This hot water service gets very little use as it's basically used to run a shower once a day. The Bosch 26e has had the occasional hiccup from the word go. I was always able to reset it and get it going again. However this time the Bosch 26e continues to run hot and cold. It cuts in then cuts out. No matter how many times I reset it. Bosch also recommends that the unit get serviced at least every 2 years which adds to further expense (plumbers are very expensive). As this unit is just over three years old and appears to be an ongoing fault not with just myself but other customers as well, Bosch should have recalled this product. Instead you are directed to call a plumber and pay the cost. Hot water services are something that should last at least 10 years not 3. In my opinion this product is not fit for the purpose it was designed for. As this is a rather expensive product to replace I'm really disappointed. I suggest buyer beware!!

1 of 4 pages

17e

Hi, I am having a similar problem to the one Bluey is having. The 17e I have is just on 4yrs old, but in the last 3 weeks I have had to reset the unit every day. After about 5 min of continuous use the HWS stops working, I have to reset it for it to start heating again. There is no water flow or gas supply issue, replaced the 45kg bottle when it started happening. I do know the regulator is over 20yrs old, but my gas supplier tells me it is fine (it has been tested). Any ideas as to the cause?

Andrew asked on Sep 09, 2018

Answer this

The problem sounds electronic, maybe a sensor fault. I wonder if you had a controller installed whether resetting from controller would make it easier than going outside to the heater each time. Also a controller will give you a fault code which may help solve the problem. The controllers available are Bathroom Controller YPRS67XB and MAIN CONTROLLER YPRM67XBN. It is possible for a good handyman to fit these as the wire connection is low voltage but you need a 17e manual to know where to connect the 2 wires.

Hi Andrew, thanks for taking the time to leave your question. As you may already be aware of, there could be a range of factors contributing to your issue. We would recommend having your unit serviced by a licensed plumber with the main controller. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team at 1300 30 70 37 any time during the week from 8am to 6pm (AEST) for further assistance. Alternatively, you can fill out our contact form (https://www.bosch-climate.com.au/about-bosch/contact-us/) with a link to your review and we'll get in touch.

26e

we have a highflow 26e for a few years now and it keeps trying to light but then goes out again. it is not staying on. it does try to reset and the water will go hot again but only for half a minute and water goes cold again. Any ideas?

bg3 asked on Sep 08, 2018

Answer this

My first guess it would be one of the following - insufficient gas pressure to keep the burner going or insufficient water pressure. The 26e is a high capacity heater so needs plenty of both to run at full capacity. Do you have a remote controller either MAIN CONTROLLER YPRM67XBN or Bathroom Controller YPRS67XB? These allow you to set a water temperature lower than the standard 55 degrees Celsius. I believe setting a lower temperature (I use 40C for my shower) lessens the demand for gas. Any good handyman can install these controllers but you need the 26e manual to know where the wires connect.

thanks. we know that it isnt the gas pressure because our ducted heating still works fine. the water pressure is coming through the taps as normal. we have decided to replace the unit with the same in current model as we have been advised by a plumber considering the unit is probably about 10yo or more already.

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your question. We always recommend taking the advice of a licensed plumber however if you have any further questions regarding your unit, our helpful team can also be contacted at 1300 30 70 37 during the weekday from 8am to 6pm (AEST).

26e

Just wondering how to adjust water pressure from e26 unit? Seems to be a fair difference between hot and cold to traps etc. Thanks Greg

Greg asked on Aug 31, 2018

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your question. The unit does not have a water pressure adjustment. We may need more details to determine the problem and discuss possible solutions. We would recommend getting in touch with our helpful team at 1300 30 70 37 from 8am to 6pm (AEST) during the work week. Otherwise, please feel free to contact us through our form located here: https://www.bosch-climate.com.au/about-bosch/contact-us/ or by emailing us at hotwater.query@au.bosch.com with your contact details and we'll be in touch.

See all 88 questions about Bosch Electronic Highflow

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details

21e 26e 17e
Price (RRP) $840 $915 $685

The main difference between these models is heating capacity