Model: 16H Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Worst decision ever!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2018

Had to replace my old unit which didn't even last 10 years, stupidly settled on this model. Worst decision ever!! We've nicknamed the unit Katy Perry because it's hot then it's cold. This shower either inflicts 3rd degree burns or induces hypothermia, along the way it wastes a tonne of water. How can a gas hot water system run cold when only the hot water tap is on. Will replace as soon as I can afford to.

Purchased at: Origin Energy

Comments
Bosch Hot Water & Heating Official

Hi there, we are so sorry to hear about your experience with this unit. Please be advised that if your unit is was purchased in October last year, we will be able to arrange a service call for you ... read more »

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Nov 2017

shocking, unreliable, waste's heaps of water

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

replaced old bosch that was not too bad but only lasted 10 years, new unit has been a nightmare, was told by their own techs, (no one can fix it ! that's just how they are ) I'm sick of waiting 10 minutes for it to settle down at 4.00 am every day ! will have to bite the bullet and get another brand that will do what they say it will do , will NOT buy anything that's made in China again. NO quality control !

Comments
Bosch Hot Water & Heating Official

Hi Charlie, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Please be advised that if your unit is within warranty, we will be able to arrange a service call for you. Our team is available from 8am to 6pm (AEDT) during the weekday at 1300 30 70 37.

Model: 13H Date Purchased: Jan 2010

Very unreliable water heater like most modern bosch products.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2018

Main problems are the diaphragm and the hydro generator unit. The diaphragm will need regular replacement. Probably every 3 years For those who OFTEN have no hot water suspect diaphragm has a VERY small hole in it. If no hot water suspect the hydro generator unit. They are both easy to test and replace. Sure if both need replacement and you need a gas engineer to install bite the bullet and install a new not bosch unit. If repaired and setup correctly you will get constant temp hot water every time. I don't think most engineers have a clue about these heaters.

Melbourne

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Useless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2018

Purchased the 10h to replace the old unit which serviced the property for well over 10 years..... this was my first mistake to believe the replacement unit would be just as reliable WRONG. Hot water only works for 20mins per day then nothing until the next day..... called the plumber who advised a faulty part was the problem and since the unit was still under warranty it was best to call Bosch.... that's when the fun really began their "authorised/trained" plumber advied there was not enough gas pressure to the unit and it was not covered by warranty and the $220 fee was payable but it was not in their work scope to fix the unit..
Bosch customer service had no idea the status of my warranty claim....... now still waiting for a resolution after weeks of no hot water.....
how can a unit work perfectly fine for 23 months and suddenly have developed external issues that prevent the unit from functioning as intended..... is it too much to ask for a unit to function as intended within the warranty period.... will never buy a Bosch again...... as for the authorised plumber apart from changing the reason for malfunction several times the lastest reason is the unit is not sufficient for the house size not sure about others but my house did not grow in the past 23 months......
Bosch honour your warranty and fix the unit...

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bosch Hot Water & Heating Official

We’re really sorry to hear about your experience with us so far. As we cannot access your contact details through ProductReview, please fill out your details via this form: https://www.bosch-climat... read more »

Adelaide, South Australia

• 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: May 2015

Piece of Rubbish from day One!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

Water has never been really hot,when having a bath no cold water is ever needed,have been putting up with this for two years. I have contacted Bosch on several occasions but treated rudely each time. Was told that if someone came out and something not under Warranty they would charge costs for travelling time etc.I !! Not good enough Bosch,have been told that it is not a problem of incorrect pump from the water tank. I was told by Bosch that was probably the problem.Will never buy a Bosch appliance again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bosch Hot Water & Heating Official

Hi Lucei, we’re so sorry to hear about your experience and troubles with this unit. As you may already know, our warranty covers all manufacturing faults. As per our warranty conditions, we are una... read more »

Cowra

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Apr 2015

Installation was wrong and minimal support from Bosch when contacted with issue

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

Our 16H Hydroflow unit was installed just over three years ago by a Bosch certified installer. The installation manual notes that in locations where the temperature goes below 0c a valve should be installed, this was not done by the installer and three years later the heat exchanger cracked due to frost. The installer (Cowra Gas Supplies) came out and informed us that it was a right-off and wasn't under warranty (10 years on the heat exchanger) because the valve wasn't installed and that we should buy a new one from him....yea right. So I was sold a product that was not installed as per specifications by Bosch's rep and he keeps saying it is out of warranty due to the lack of a valve even though it was his fault. Four weeks later and still not resolved, lucky we have friends I can grab a shower at! If this is the state of service provided by Bosch and their representatives, it appears to be pointless.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bosch Hot Water & Heating Official

Hi Nigel, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience – we truly appreciate your feedback. Based on our understanding of the situation, this issue has since been resolved. If you hav... read more »

Hastings

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jan 2018

H16 junk

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 12, 2018

Ok moved in to a property that had one of these cold water heaters fitted.......... From first shower started to give problems
Had to start and stop the shower multiple times to finish shower, although sometimes it would pump out scalding water....... Not very helpful.

Then it would just refuse to light the ignition unit would fire but no pilot light.

I checked the output from the water turbine and this was within spec at 1.5v so no problem there.

So i started to investigate.
Things i have now done and unit now seems reliable.

1 used electrical cleaner on the contacts for the control module, is an oil based cleaner that dissolves oxide layer, dispels moisture and then seals out further contamination.
I plugged it on and off a few times to aid cleaning.

2. I have also removed the on/off switch from the circuit as this is next to useless in the outside environment and this was also causing a volt drop.

3. The solenoids that control the pilot and main gas supply rely on an earth return through the body of the burner and case, and as you no aluminum tends to corrode in this type of environment, so i fitted a separate earth return line back to the controller, this had a very good result burner would fire reliably every time.

4. To fix the temperature cycling hot to cold, i watched the burner in operation and it was ramping up from the slight fluctuations from my pump pressure change due to the pressure switch on the pump, but I thought it was not suppling enough heat when pressure was high, hence cold part of the shower, and as the pressure dropped off the gas didn't go low enough hence scalding water.
To fix this I installed a pressure reducer on the water input to the unit and set its pressure at my house water pumps pressure just before it cut in again.
Now i get a reliable constant flow of hot..... And it is nice and hot, hot water so i can add cold water at the mixers for the shower and the sinks to get the right temperature.

I now get a nice relaxing hot shower.

Hope this helps everyone else.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bosch Hot Water & Heating Official

Hi Jon, thank you for taking the time and effort to leave a review. We are so sorry to hear about the issues you’ve experienced with this unit. We would typically recommend using a constant pres... read more »

Verified Purchase Model: 16H Date Purchased: May 2018

Stay away from this

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2018

This NEW unit was installed by a Plumber on the 31st of May 2018 and the water temperature only got to 38 degrees at the shower head. So we called the Installer, they came had a look, but deemed it to be a Warranty job, so the Bosch agent Plumber came had a look and ordered a part to fix the issue. Two days later that part was replaced but still not hot enough. So a few days later the Bosch agent came and had a look, claimed that the previous agent ordered the wrong part, so he ordered the correct part to give me the hot water e.g. 50 Degrees as claimed by Bosch. Well I called Bosch and they said they will someone out to fix this useless piece of S..T. Well today is the 23rd of June, and I still don't have water which is warmer then 38 degrees. If I don't get it fixed or replaced by Wednesday the 27th of June 2018, which is four weeks with cold water from a unit and installation which cost $1288.49. I will have it pulled out and will drag Bosch trough the fair trade agency.

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jan 2012

easy fix for my problem

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

Cold mornings and lukewarm water, could only just stand the temperature when taking a shower, had to boil the electric kettle to be able to do the dish washing. Thought it might have been the caused by the exposed hot water pipes and the distance from the heater to the bathroom. Went to the expense and work by placing insulation tubing around the pipes, this lifted the temperature by a couple of degrees but still lukewarm, gave up and called local gas fitter/plumber. He was there for 15 minutes, took out the jets which were badly blocked, cleaned them and voila steaming hot water! and he only charged me 20 dollars! I had noticed I was not using much gas from my LPG gas cylinder now I know why, he said the other problem can be the water filter blocking up on the inlet pipe especially if you are not on mains supply, Hope this helps someone.

MELBOURNE

• 1 comment
  • 6 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jun 2012

Lasted 7 years then died.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

Has been getting colder for the last few years so technically only lasted 5 years before having problems. Water temperature doesn't keeps fluctuating so your constantly having to adjust between hot and cold. If you have a water save tap it doesn't even kick in to turn on the hot water so I can't get hot water out of my bathroom tap and never have been able to. Don't waste your money.

• 3 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 18 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Mar 2010

Bosch hydrofailure

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

Bought this 7 years ago and has finally died. After 5 years in service the heat exchanger blew a hole allowing water to escape, Bosch covered the cost of the part but labour was at my expense. Then the water adjustment valve leaked and had to have that repaired. Unit allows fluctuated with heating the water. Cabinet is totally rusted. Updated to a rheem metro 16. When i asked about direct replacement unit for Bosch they recommended the rheem over Bosch.
Good better Bosch? Don't think so

Purchased at: Plunkett Homes

Melb

• 2 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Moronic gnomes in Siberia would heat water faster...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2018

Simply dreadful and unreliable and insufficient for anyone's needs.
We replaced one we had had for 13 years only to find that the new one does not work. We have not had 'hot' water for a year now and each time we get Bosch involved, it's something to do with the gas lines - or a fiddle with the ignition. It just doesn't heat the water to a normal 'hot' temperature at all, even with the water pressure turned down so that it has more time to heat. It has taken hours of time to sit around waiting for them to come and work on it and still no solution. Be aware that if you install Bosch, the gas pipes are a different diameter to other units (like the fantastic Rinnai we have at another property) so changing to a different brand is expensive because it requires re-plumbing. We are so utterly unimpressed and think that it is a terrible unit. I won't ever buy this brand again and think that we were just stupid not to get a whole new gas pipe fitted (up and over our two-storey home) as in the end it would have caused less angst and at least we would have had hot water...
Back in touch with Bosch again as I can't bear it any longer.

• 2 answers

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Hot then Cold Problem Solved

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 06, 2018

It took me two years and the cost of a new heater to sort out this problem. First 10H was becoming problematic in that the water would be hot and then suddenly cold. It didn't matter what settings were adjusted ie. flow rate, temp setting. A service man charged me $100 to tell me to put the water on the lowest flow rate and the temp on highest setting. Works ok in winter but not in summer. There was more to it than simple adjustment. I bought a new heater after a two seasons of this frustration. The problem still existed. It took some time to realise the problem was caused by a new water restricted shower rose I put in two years ago. If you want these heaters to work remove all devices that restrict water flow. This includes shower roses, aerators on kitchen spouts etc. You will solve your problem.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Will NEVER buy Bosch again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 03, 2018

Our water bill has doubled since changing to Bosch HydroPower. Water can sometimes take several minutes to get hot, other times water gets lukewarm then goes cold again so you wait another few minutes for water to heat up. Really annoying when you're rushing to work in the morning & you have to wait several minutes for hot water. Warranty is useless too. Plumbing & Gas Guys will charge me $150.00 call out fee & Bosch will also charge me $155.00 call out fee. Warranty is non existent, Bosch is only interested in being paid, customer service doesn't exist either

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Product has electrical fault (ghost)

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

The Bosch Hydropower units have poor electrical design, anyway assuming the heater is working properly, I would get it serviced for this that is <(TURN OFF GAS>), backflush water circuit, just unplug in and out water pipes and connect a hose to the outlet its easy enough to find a fitting or something, but you may need to bend the pipes around a little but do not hurt them!, the crud buildup in the pipes will reduce your efficiency like if you use it with unfiltered rain tank water you would want to clean it about every 5 years on the other hand if you have hard water as in bore water then I dont know but I think calcium buildup will be your problem. hard water clogs up everything, disassemble and clean out water inlet manifold, there is a mesh screen in there, on mine it was in bits all through the ports clogging everything up. Now if needed clean over the whole unit with compressed air to spruce it up and reduce fire hazard or if your diy then it's nice to clean things before working on them imo. Don't ask me what all that would cost!
You don't need to mess round with the gas side that's all fine.

Now here's what you do to fix em, this is for a Bosch Hydropower 10H but I assume it probably applies to the other hydropower models too. Ok for those wanting more information the water flow runs the electronics @ 1.5v DC wich charges the high voltage pilot igniter but it also runs the 2 solenoids for the pilot gas circuit and that pilot circuit operates the diaphragm for the main gas valve. The thing is those 2 little solenoids are grounded through the whole unit, if you look it,s not great, so what I did was add a piece of wire say 5 amp should be heaps, now connect the wire to the fixing point for ground next to the electrical box and now connect the other end to one of the chunky screws that holds on one of the gas solenoids(DON'T REMOVE SOLENOIDS UNLESS YOUR REPLACING THEM THEY ARE VERY FRAGILE AND DON'T ABSOLUTELY DON'T UNSCREW THE SCREWS ON THE LITTLE COLORED PLASTIC BIT, That said I used the green one at the back, don't worry it wont leak gas as long as you only remove one screw but of course (>TURN OFF THE GAS<). Tighten up all the screws, again it doesnt hurt to go over the unit and check all the screws and bolts, there is one screw for calibrating the sliding knob also. And that's it turn on the gas and water and go test your brand new water heater!
More info, you can test the generator with a multimeter, just unplug it and test the voltage with the water running through it obviously. Mine was about 1.6v
You could also test the resistance of the gas solenoids with and without extra wire, etc.
Fyi there is a brass screw about half way up on the left side of the unit facing out that I use to bleed the gas line, at least that's what I use it for. Just unscrew it a bit while its trying to light you just have to flick the switch a few times until the gas comes through then screw it up again.
Also it doesn't hurt to go over everything with some soapy water in a sprayer to check for gas leaks especially if unit is old or if you can smell gas, I imagine if there was a gas leak inside the cover that would cause some issues.
Anyway you wont believe how well it works after this mod, it ALWAYS starts as long as u have gas, it will stay lit at pretty low flow levels so you can mess round with the cold tap and it wont cut out to a point, I used to just have the cover off cos I was always messing with it trying to get it to light or tuning the knobs man it drove me nuts. Now I just leave it at the mid point between my summer and winter settings.
I also disconnected the lights to help it work better but I think that's overkill. You don't really need to blast the hot tap anymore if you have enough flow it will just come on.
Oh and if you still need or want to better control the temps then get plumber to install a tempering valve. The flow control knob I just have cracked open but I think If you have not enough pressure at hot tap you could open flow more and also turn up the heat more.
P.S. my 10H was about 10yo when I serviced it.
The Wizz.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

• 6 helpful votes

Model: 13H Date Purchased: Jan 2010

BE WARNED, FIRE HAZARD!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2018

Last night I woke to the system pouring out with water. I turned the water mains off to them hear a hissing and strong smell of gas. This morning upon inspection the system had caught on fire! Melting the casing caused the water to pour out which must have put out the fire. I'm waiting a replacement now but very thankful it happened when I was home and awake (happened after a shower). Beside this I have always had trouble getting this system to actually work. Persistently turning the taps on and off to get the hot water to kick in. Very happy its being replaced, but still in shock about the gas catching on fire after a shower.

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jun 2012

Waste of time and money, zero stars

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2018

Bosch Bosch Bosch!!!! Where did it all go wrong!!!! We have had this unit for 7 years and in that time the only time I get a relaxing shower is when I’m not at home. The water goes from hot to cold constantly, when it is hot it is too hot and then when you ease the cold up enough and the temperature is okay, it will last for about 10 seconds and then go cold. I have adjusted the water flow and gas flow plenty of times but as soon as the weather changes ( which happens in Melbourne all the time) the water will be too hot or too cold so you have go adjust it again and that’s just on the days when you can get it started. There was also a problem with it where you would turn the hot water on and then off and it was like a bomb going off down the side of the house. The only reason that I have kept this piece of garbage for so long is because we are a single income family and with a mountain of bills every week it makes it hard to replace a “working” unit, but when we have some spare money I can’t wait to get a Rinnai and forget all about this lemon, I can’t believe that Bosch are still selling these things. They won’t be getting my money again!!! So if you’re still reading my rant, do yourself a favor and don’t buy one of these things. I have used the rinnai units a few times and they are great, 100 times better than my dud.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Nov 2009

Extreme difficulty balancing shower temp'

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2018

Extremely difficult to balance water temperature in shower; hot water often cuts out altogether. Spent so much time and hassle adjusting water temp/flow at unit. (Had nothing to compare its performance with as hot water system had to be replaced soon after purchasing home) NOW I know where the problem lies after reading a previous review here! (Incidentally, due to this I placed my elderly father in a hursing home earlier than necessary ... trying to help him shower became a sheer nightmare. Finding this out years later, I'm very upset!

Port fairy

• 4 answers

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Nov 2017

have 3 of these in units lpg model

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

The units give very little trouble, the power igniter and pilot jet are the only 2 things that ever have given trouble in 15y.o units. They are getting a bit rusty now so will buy new units exactly the same.
They are very simple for most handy men to repair.
I can diagnose most problems in a few 2nds amd most is to do with dirty gas.

Purchased at: Reece

BNE

• 2 comments
  • 15 answers
  • 8 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jul 2012

Cold as my mother in law's kiss

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

This has been my second Bosch HWS in 10 years and both have been ordinary at best. 16H looks brilliant on paper, no 240v, battery or pilot needed for ignition. But it all stops there.

In actual service it's been reliable as a 2nd hand lawn mower. Bosch was once a respected brand name but I suspect these are rebranded Chinese units. If you require a HWS that will regularly fail to ignite, fail to supply more than one bathroom (even though it's their largest unit) this is for you.

When it prematurely fails the best you can do is sell for scrap. Don't give them any more of your hard earned money to attempt repairs that will only be ill fated. Bosch service will always blame others but our gas supply line diameters and gas meter are correct spec as are water supply lines and delivery spouts are non restricted.

I have foolishly spent thousands of dollars with Bosch and failed miserably. This advice comes to you free. It's your call...

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes