• 3 comments
  • 17 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Mar 2010

Bosch hydrofailure

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

Bought this 7 years ago and has finally died. After 5 years in service the heat exchanger blew a hole allowing water to escape, Bosch covered the cost of the part but labour was at my expense. Then the water adjustment valve leaked and had to have that repaired. Unit allows fluctuated with heating the water. Cabinet is totally rusted. Updated to a rheem metro 16. When i asked about direct replacement unit for Bosch they recommended the rheem over Bosch.
Good better Bosch? Don't think so

Purchased at: Plunkett Homes

Melb

• 2 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Moronic gnomes in Siberia would heat water faster...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2018

Simply dreadful and unreliable and insufficient for anyone's needs.
We replaced one we had had for 13 years only to find that the new one does not work. We have not had 'hot' water for a year now and each time we get Bosch involved, it's something to do with the gas lines - or a fiddle with the ignition. It just doesn't heat the water to a normal 'hot' temperature at all, even with the water pressure turned down so that it has more time to heat. It has taken hours of time to sit around waiting for them to come and work on it and still no solution. Be aware that if you install Bosch, the gas pipes are a different diameter to other units (like the fantastic Rinnai we have at another property) so changing to a different brand is expensive because it requires re-plumbing. We are so utterly unimpressed and think that it is a terrible unit. I won't ever buy this brand again and think that we were just stupid not to get a whole new gas pipe fitted (up and over our two-storey home) as in the end it would have caused less angst and at least we would have had hot water...
Back in touch with Bosch again as I can't bear it any longer.

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Hot then Cold Problem Solved

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 06, 2018

It took me two years and the cost of a new heater to sort out this problem. First 10H was becoming problematic in that the water would be hot and then suddenly cold. It didn't matter what settings were adjusted ie. flow rate, temp setting. A service man charged me $100 to tell me to put the water on the lowest flow rate and the temp on highest setting. Works ok in winter but not in summer. There was more to it than simple adjustment. I bought a new heater after a two seasons of this frustration. The problem still existed. It took some time to realise the problem was caused by a new water restricted shower rose I put in two years ago. If you want these heaters to work remove all devices that restrict water flow. This includes shower roses, aerators on kitchen spouts etc. You will solve your problem.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Will NEVER buy Bosch again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 03, 2018

Our water bill has doubled since changing to Bosch HydroPower. Water can sometimes take several minutes to get hot, other times water gets lukewarm then goes cold again so you wait another few minutes for water to heat up. Really annoying when you're rushing to work in the morning & you have to wait several minutes for hot water. Warranty is useless too. Plumbing & Gas Guys will charge me $150.00 call out fee & Bosch will also charge me $155.00 call out fee. Warranty is non existent, Bosch is only interested in being paid, customer service doesn't exist either

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Product has electrical fault (ghost)

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

The Bosch Hydropower units have poor electrical design, anyway assuming the heater is working properly, I would get it serviced for this that is <(TURN OFF GAS>), backflush water circuit, just unplug in and out water pipes and connect a hose to the outlet its easy enough to find a fitting or something, but you may need to bend the pipes around a little but do not hurt them!, the crud buildup in the pipes will reduce your efficiency like if you use it with unfiltered rain tank water you would want to clean it about every 5 years on the other hand if you have hard water as in bore water then I dont know but I think calcium buildup will be your problem. hard water clogs up everything, disassemble and clean out water inlet manifold, there is a mesh screen in there, on mine it was in bits all through the ports clogging everything up. Now if needed clean over the whole unit with compressed air to spruce it up and reduce fire hazard or if your diy then it's nice to clean things before working on them imo. Don't ask me what all that would cost!
You don't need to mess round with the gas side that's all fine.

Now here's what you do to fix em, this is for a Bosch Hydropower 10H but I assume it probably applies to the other hydropower models too. Ok for those wanting more information the water flow runs the electronics @ 1.5v DC wich charges the high voltage pilot igniter but it also runs the 2 solenoids for the pilot gas circuit and that pilot circuit operates the diaphragm for the main gas valve. The thing is those 2 little solenoids are grounded through the whole unit, if you look it,s not great, so what I did was add a piece of wire say 5 amp should be heaps, now connect the wire to the fixing point for ground next to the electrical box and now connect the other end to one of the chunky screws that holds on one of the gas solenoids(DON'T REMOVE SOLENOIDS UNLESS YOUR REPLACING THEM THEY ARE VERY FRAGILE AND DON'T ABSOLUTELY DON'T UNSCREW THE SCREWS ON THE LITTLE COLORED PLASTIC BIT, That said I used the green one at the back, don't worry it wont leak gas as long as you only remove one screw but of course (>TURN OFF THE GAS<). Tighten up all the screws, again it doesnt hurt to go over the unit and check all the screws and bolts, there is one screw for calibrating the sliding knob also. And that's it turn on the gas and water and go test your brand new water heater!
More info, you can test the generator with a multimeter, just unplug it and test the voltage with the water running through it obviously. Mine was about 1.6v
You could also test the resistance of the gas solenoids with and without extra wire, etc.
Fyi there is a brass screw about half way up on the left side of the unit facing out that I use to bleed the gas line, at least that's what I use it for. Just unscrew it a bit while its trying to light you just have to flick the switch a few times until the gas comes through then screw it up again.
Also it doesn't hurt to go over everything with some soapy water in a sprayer to check for gas leaks especially if unit is old or if you can smell gas, I imagine if there was a gas leak inside the cover that would cause some issues.
Anyway you wont believe how well it works after this mod, it ALWAYS starts as long as u have gas, it will stay lit at pretty low flow levels so you can mess round with the cold tap and it wont cut out to a point, I used to just have the cover off cos I was always messing with it trying to get it to light or tuning the knobs man it drove me nuts. Now I just leave it at the mid point between my summer and winter settings.
I also disconnected the lights to help it work better but I think that's overkill. You don't really need to blast the hot tap anymore if you have enough flow it will just come on.
Oh and if you still need or want to better control the temps then get plumber to install a tempering valve. The flow control knob I just have cracked open but I think If you have not enough pressure at hot tap you could open flow more and also turn up the heat more.
P.S. my 10H was about 10yo when I serviced it.
The Wizz.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

• 6 helpful votes

Model: 13H Date Purchased: Jan 2010

BE WARNED, FIRE HAZARD!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2018

Last night I woke to the system pouring out with water. I turned the water mains off to them hear a hissing and strong smell of gas. This morning upon inspection the system had caught on fire! Melting the casing caused the water to pour out which must have put out the fire. I'm waiting a replacement now but very thankful it happened when I was home and awake (happened after a shower). Beside this I have always had trouble getting this system to actually work. Persistently turning the taps on and off to get the hot water to kick in. Very happy its being replaced, but still in shock about the gas catching on fire after a shower.

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jun 2012

Waste of time and money, zero stars

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2018

Bosch Bosch Bosch!!!! Where did it all go wrong!!!! We have had this unit for 7 years and in that time the only time I get a relaxing shower is when I’m not at home. The water goes from hot to cold constantly, when it is hot it is too hot and then when you ease the cold up enough and the temperature is okay, it will last for about 10 seconds and then go cold. I have adjusted the water flow and gas flow plenty of times but as soon as the weather changes ( which happens in Melbourne all the time) the water will be too hot or too cold so you have go adjust it again and that’s just on the days when you can get it started. There was also a problem with it where you would turn the hot water on and then off and it was like a bomb going off down the side of the house. The only reason that I have kept this piece of garbage for so long is because we are a single income family and with a mountain of bills every week it makes it hard to replace a “working” unit, but when we have some spare money I can’t wait to get a Rinnai and forget all about this lemon, I can’t believe that Bosch are still selling these things. They won’t be getting my money again!!! So if you’re still reading my rant, do yourself a favor and don’t buy one of these things. I have used the rinnai units a few times and they are great, 100 times better than my dud.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Nov 2009

Extreme difficulty balancing shower temp'

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2018

Extremely difficult to balance water temperature in shower; hot water often cuts out altogether. Spent so much time and hassle adjusting water temp/flow at unit. (Had nothing to compare its performance with as hot water system had to be replaced soon after purchasing home) NOW I know where the problem lies after reading a previous review here! (Incidentally, due to this I placed my elderly father in a hursing home earlier than necessary ... trying to help him shower became a sheer nightmare. Finding this out years later, I'm very upset!

Port fairy

• 1 review
  • 4 answers

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Nov 2017

have 3 of these in units lpg model

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

The units give very little trouble, the power igniter and pilot jet are the only 2 things that ever have given trouble in 15y.o units. They are getting a bit rusty now so will buy new units exactly the same.
They are very simple for most handy men to repair.
I can diagnose most problems in a few 2nds amd most is to do with dirty gas.

Purchased at: Reece

BNE

• 1 comment
  • 6 answers
  • 7 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jul 2012

Cold as my mother in law's kiss

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

This has been my second Bosch HWS in 10 years and both have been ordinary at best. 16H looks brilliant on paper, no 240v, battery or pilot needed for ignition. But it all stops there.

In actual service it's been reliable as a 2nd hand lawn mower. Bosch was once a respected brand name but I suspect these are rebranded Chinese units. If you require a HWS that will regularly fail to ignite, fail to supply more than one bathroom (even though it's their largest unit) this is for you.

When it prematurely fails the best you can do is sell for scrap. Don't give them any more of your hard earned money to attempt repairs that will only be ill fated. Bosch service will always blame others but our gas supply line diameters and gas meter are correct spec as are water supply lines and delivery spouts are non restricted.

I have foolishly spent thousands of dollars with Bosch and failed miserably. This advice comes to you free. It's your call...

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jan 2012

Don’t ever buy a Bosch gas hot water system. Mine didn’t last 7 years when the hydro failed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

If you are looking to install or fix a Bosch hot water system I recommend scrapping you unit and replacing it with a reliable brand. Our gas fitter sourced $270 worth of parts to replace the hydropower and to refurb the main chamber, this didn’t work so the unit had to be scrapped. This cost a considerable amount of money. We would have been much better off to replace the unit as soon as it failed with a reliable brand.

Albury

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Bosch HydroPower *** Forget the HydroPower part if the turbine breaks.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2017

I removed the turbine wires from the failed turbine and replaced said turbine with two C cell batteries (3VDC) in a holder - [weblink removed] - and installed - G1/4 Inner Thread Gold Tone Copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A [weblink removed] at the I/C pipe. Make sure you know correct size of your existing incoming pipes.

Duracell C Alkaline Batteries - 4 Pack - around AUD $9 - two batteries is all you require.

Inner Thread Gold Tone Copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A - around AUD $18

Labor in my case free. - depends who you know. Or get a plumber to install it.

The switch will activate when it detects water flow, 3VDC from the two C batteries will power up the unit.

The switch should outlast the unit the C cells might need to be replaced every year or two, rechargeable batteries are also OK.

If quality parts are used the upgrade will last for many years.

1) Hot water tap is turned on.

2) Switch on the coldwater input is activated.

3) power from the batteries powers up the computer and the hot water service.

* The unit was already installed in the house

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

2 D cells will work also JAYCAR 2 X D CELL SIDE BY SIDE Battery Holder CAT.NO: PH9220 copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A at the I/C pipe. Make sure you know correct size of ... read more »

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Apr 2000

Perfectly fine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2017

We've had a 16H for about 17 years. It has been serviced once in that time. We've never had any trouble to speak of. Very occasionally it doesn't start first time, but you just turn off the tap and turn it back on and it starts okay. This might happen perhaps once or twice a year. For us living on solar power (no mains) it has been perfect.

Redland Bay

Model: 13H Date Purchased: Feb 2012

Finally fixed - It's gone

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2017

Because of the layout of our house we installed 2 Bosch H13 water heaters - one for the main bedroom and living areas and the other for the two remote bedroom ensuites. In the 5 years since we have not had a decent shower except when we go on holidays.

Both units exhibit the same annoying problem with the water temperature constantly varying between hot and cold while showing. We even tried one with the tempering valve removed but the problem was still there. While my elderly father was staying with us for a few months after an operation we had to arrange for him to shower in a neighbours house as he was not agile enough to dodge the hot and cold water extremes.

I contacted Bosch early on and was told I needed a less water efficient showerhead to fix the problem. I was excited by this fix until I discovered we already had the correct ones fitted. All other parameters and flows seem to be within Bosch's specifications.

All sorted now - they're gone and a heat pump unit installed in their place - and I've just had the best shower I've had since moving into this house.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Oct 2007

Plagued by problems

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2017

We have had the system for a few years now so it maybe an older model. But it has broken down many times it has been expensive to repair. I often have to let the shower run for 2 minutes or more before the hot water comes through. In winter it takes ages for the water to be hot rather than just Luke warm. I need a new machine and I would never get one like this again.

Model: 13H Date Purchased: Sep 2013

Unreliable

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2017

Breaks down to many breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money

Melbourne

• 4 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Feb 2003

Brilliant for the farm

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2017

Our hydropower 16 has been a dream. 14 years of reliable service. On a farm with no mains power, heating water is a dream with an lpg tank. we recently had a plastic part split in the frost. Time will tell whether bosch can assist with the part. I am hopeful though.

• 4 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Piece of scrap metal

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

I bought a 100 acre farm with a renovated farm house and a Bosch 16H LPG Hotwater system 12 months ago. Been nothing but a failure and an expensive gas guzzling failure at that for 12 months. Like a lot of Bosch products it is a disappointment. Avoid avoid avoid.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jul 2014

Poor reliability

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2017

Had this 16H since we bought house three years ago. Never sure if it will supply hot water. Had plumber come out who said he supplied a new part for $105 then couldnt get unit to go. He then suggested we get the pressure pump se4viced. As he left the yard I notice he had an old 16H gutted on the back of his ute. NEW PART, HMMM! Had service done on pressure pump still no hot water. After hefty plumbers bill and after reading comments might cut losses and get another brand.
Mike.

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jul 2012

Five years of uninterrupted hot water

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2017

How can there be so many complaints from so many people?? We've had this system running flawlessly in Melbourne since July 2012. The distance from the gas meter to the Bosch unit is over 20 metres yet there's enough pressure to run a hot shower with the gas ducting heating in winter. Extremely pleased with this super reliable product and would not hesitate to recommend.

1 of 13 pages