Port fairy

• 2 answers

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Nov 2017

have 3 of these in units lpg model

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

The units give very little trouble, the power igniter and pilot jet are the only 2 things that ever have given trouble in 15y.o units. They are getting a bit rusty now so will buy new units exactly the same.
They are very simple for most handy men to repair.
I can diagnose most problems in a few 2nds amd most is to do with dirty gas.

Purchased at: Reece

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jul 2012

Cold as my mother in law's kiss

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

This has been my second Bosch HWS in 10 years and both have been ordinary at best. 16H looks brilliant on paper, no 240v, battery or pilot needed for ignition. But it all stops there.

In actual service it's been reliable as a 2nd hand lawn mower. Bosch was once a respected brand name but I suspect these are rebranded Chinese units. If you require a HWS that will regularly fail to ignite, fail to supply more than one bathroom (even though it's their largest unit) this is for you.

When it prematurely fails the best you can do is sell for scrap. Don't give them any more of your hard earned money to attempt repairs that will only be ill fated. Bosch service will always blame others but our gas supply line diameters and gas meter are correct spec as are water supply lines and delivery spouts are non restricted.

I have foolishly spent thousands of dollars with Bosch and failed miserably. This advice comes to you free. It's your call...

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jan 2012

Don’t ever buy a Bosch gas hot water system. Mine didn’t last 7 years when the hydro failed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

If you are looking to install or fix a Bosch hot water system I recommend scrapping you unit and replacing it with a reliable brand. Our gas fitter sourced $270 worth of parts to replace the hydropower and to refurb the main chamber, this didn’t work so the unit had to be scrapped. This cost a considerable amount of money. We would have been much better off to replace the unit as soon as it failed with a reliable brand.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Bosch HydroPower *** Forget the HydroPower part if the turbine breaks.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2017

I removed the turbine wires from the failed turbine and replaced said turbine with two C cell batteries (3VDC) in a holder - [weblink removed] - and installed - G1/4 Inner Thread Gold Tone Copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A [weblink removed] at the I/C pipe. Make sure you know correct size of your existing incoming pipes.

Duracell C Alkaline Batteries - 4 Pack - around AUD $9 - two batteries is all you require.

Inner Thread Gold Tone Copper Water Flow Switch Flowmeter DC250V 70W 0.5A - around AUD $18

Labor in my case free. - depends who you know. Or get a plumber to install it.

The switch will activate when it detects water flow, 3VDC from the two C batteries will power up the unit.

The switch should outlast the unit the C cells might need to be replaced every year or two, rechargeable batteries are also OK.

If quality parts are used the upgrade will last for many years.

1) Hot water tap is turned on.

2) Switch on the coldwater input is activated.

3) power from the batteries powers up the computer and the hot water service.

* The unit was already installed in the house

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Apr 2000

Perfectly fine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2017

We've had a 16H for about 17 years. It has been serviced once in that time. We've never had any trouble to speak of. Very occasionally it doesn't start first time, but you just turn off the tap and turn it back on and it starts okay. This might happen perhaps once or twice a year. For us living on solar power (no mains) it has been perfect.

Redland Bay

Model: 13H Date Purchased: Feb 2012

Finally fixed - It's gone

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2017

Because of the layout of our house we installed 2 Bosch H13 water heaters - one for the main bedroom and living areas and the other for the two remote bedroom ensuites. In the 5 years since we have not had a decent shower except when we go on holidays.

Both units exhibit the same annoying problem with the water temperature constantly varying between hot and cold while showing. We even tried one with the tempering valve removed but the problem was still there. While my elderly father was staying with us for a few months after an operation we had to arrange for him to shower in a neighbours house as he was not agile enough to dodge the hot and cold water extremes.

I contacted Bosch early on and was told I needed a less water efficient showerhead to fix the problem. I was excited by this fix until I discovered we already had the correct ones fitted. All other parameters and flows seem to be within Bosch's specifications.

All sorted now - they're gone and a heat pump unit installed in their place - and I've just had the best shower I've had since moving into this house.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Oct 2007

Plagued by problems

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2017

We have had the system for a few years now so it maybe an older model. But it has broken down many times it has been expensive to repair. I often have to let the shower run for 2 minutes or more before the hot water comes through. In winter it takes ages for the water to be hot rather than just Luke warm. I need a new machine and I would never get one like this again.

Model: 13H Date Purchased: Sep 2013

Unreliable

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2017

Breaks down to many breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money breaks down to many times and always forking out money

Melbourne

• 4 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Feb 2003

Brilliant for the farm

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2017

Our hydropower 16 has been a dream. 14 years of reliable service. On a farm with no mains power, heating water is a dream with an lpg tank. we recently had a plastic part split in the frost. Time will tell whether bosch can assist with the part. I am hopeful though.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Piece of scrap metal

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

I bought a 100 acre farm with a renovated farm house and a Bosch 16H LPG Hotwater system 12 months ago. Been nothing but a failure and an expensive gas guzzling failure at that for 12 months. Like a lot of Bosch products it is a disappointment. Avoid avoid avoid.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jul 2014

Poor reliability

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2017

Had this 16H since we bought house three years ago. Never sure if it will supply hot water. Had plumber come out who said he supplied a new part for $105 then couldnt get unit to go. He then suggested we get the pressure pump se4viced. As he left the yard I notice he had an old 16H gutted on the back of his ute. NEW PART, HMMM! Had service done on pressure pump still no hot water. After hefty plumbers bill and after reading comments might cut losses and get another brand.
Mike.

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jul 2012

Five years of uninterrupted hot water

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2017

How can there be so many complaints from so many people?? We've had this system running flawlessly in Melbourne since July 2012. The distance from the gas meter to the Bosch unit is over 20 metres yet there's enough pressure to run a hot shower with the gas ducting heating in winter. Extremely pleased with this super reliable product and would not hesitate to recommend.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Nov 2016

No!No!No!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2017

this is the worst system ever! Uses load of water before it heats up and after 6 months after more plumbing costs than the system is worth HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! So if you want to have constant misery and lots and lots of cold showers lpg BOSCH system Hydropower is for you......and DO NOT expect any help from the Bosch company !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jan 2012

LEMON!! Absolute rubbish product! If you like cold water this is for you! 0 stars!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 22, 2017

Absolute GARBAGE product! From day one it broke down & since then numerous visits from plumbers trying to fix the damn thing! Nothing but trouble! 4.5 years & we are up for a new one. $1400 for nothing but an overpriced wall hanging! Customer service was very average. Kept getting excuses of ants or insects blocking the pipes! Well I'm with the plumber now & no ants just a piece of crap! Wish i had reviewed this product sooner as there is obviously a lot of ant problems about! LEMON!!!

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Jan 2007

never starts

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2017

bought this for my outback property years ago and has never worked properly. it's alright when it's being used every day but if not used for several months won't ignite, takes constant switching on and off to get it started and sometimes not at all. sometimes the ignitor works sometimes it doesn't. I ended up smashing it to pieces with a hammer. The trouble is what do I buy? reviews from other brands are no better.?????

• 5 answers

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Instant hot water and relief.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2017

This has replaced a previous Bosch Battery Driven unit. The advantage gained was when we lost mains power we were still able to have hot water and a cooking facility and no flat batteries. I recommend holding out for a unit like this and will install this in the next house I buy or build.

Perth

• 2 answers

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Apr 2012

Great Unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

I had this unit installed in 2012 and it is still going well, I find it better to turn the water off to the unit when I go away and it fires up every time, it may be getting a little tired and when it does give up, I will replace it with another one.

February 5th 2017 Update: Hydropower 10h HWS

I made an error with my previous review, I actually had it installed in 2002 and it is still going well.I believe that the later models are much more efficient.A lot of people make the mistake of trying to adjust the Hot Water with the Hot water tap, you actually adjust the cold tap.

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Jan 2013

great no problems at all

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

Have found this a great hot water system
Great hotwater works everytime
No messing with power or batteries to start it .
I have had no problems with it
At all.
Would recommend it to anyone that wants good hot water anytime .
I say great product so well built .

Model: 16H Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Perfect Hot Water Unit the Bosch Hydro Power unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 01, 2017

The Bosch HydroPower 16H is an excellent Hot Water unit due to on our farm we don't have much power so with the Bosch Hot Water unit you don't need power which is amazing. These Hot Water units are amazing and quiet cheap to run as per the specs on their website and on the operation instructions.

Melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Model: 10H Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Dreadful engineering

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2016

We got this unit as a replacement hot water system for my 80+ year old mother around a year ago and it's been nothing but trouble since. In theory this is a good idea - the flow of the water ignites the flame for the instantaneous hot water. In practice, it's dreadful. Months of pouring litre after litre of fresh water down the sink dozens of times a day waiting for the water to come hot, who knows how many thousands of litres in total. It would take multiple attempts to ignite, turning the hot water taps on and off again and again. It would come on and shortly after go back off. Multiple adjustments to the flow in the system to try to get it to run. Just awful to use.

Service calls from the installer saw little improvement, and when winter hit things just got worse, with my elderly mother at times reduced to heating water in a kettle or on the stove to wash with, just like going back her pre-hot-water childhood. Finally in August the installers came and did a major internal overhaul of the system, and said that a design fault had been found and this should rectify it.

Well the system did become more usable after this at least, but now having come by the house at Christmas I find big black carbon deposits have spewed out of the vents of the unit, up the bricks on the surrounding wall, and onto the eaves above. Who even knows what is wrong with the system to cause this, I've never seen anything like it in a natural gas system. It may even be quite dangerous to be using. So it will be another call out for the installers once they re-open after xmas, and we will undoubtedly be footing the bill for the clean up and repainting that the system has now caused.

This system is an absolute mess and I struggle to see how it's still on the market - Bosch should hang their heads in shame for selling such a product. I know they will refuse, but I will be requesting a replacement system when I call out the installers again. If you're looking to buy there's plenty of other systems on the market that have to be much better - don't let them talk you into one of these.

1 of 12 pages

13H

I've been having a problem with my HydroPower 13.. The pilot flame works and the gas burner comes on fine but only last for about 20 seconds and then goes out. On the Green/ Red light panel.. the Red comes on when the Pilot is activated but I don't see the Green light coming on. Any help?

ALAN H asked on Dec 15, 2017

Answer this

Probably a dirty pilot jet.

Remove the little aluminum pipe to pilot piezo.

Its got brass 10mm nuts. Be careful the jet does not get lost it is at the top of pipe.
Remove the jet (its as big as a babies fingernail) blow through it and wipe it in your shirt. Its the tiniest little hole and gets wax from dirty gas stuck in it.
Put it back in and refit pipe. Try that.

Thanks for the thought Bog Balls. The pilot flame seems to be OK.. the main burner lights up ok... but then dies out after heating for around 20 seconds.

10H

Our main burner is off and not sure how to get it started again... please help

Karen asked on Dec 01, 2017

Answer this

Check to see if you hear it ticking (spark) when you turn hot tap on. If not make sure connections to the battery power pack is ok. (Its 2 wires in a plug)
If connection is ok and no spark battery needs replacing.
If you can hear spark (tick tick ) and it does not light there is a small pipe that goes to pilot under peizo (spark igniter). Undo the top of pipe 10mm open end spanner be carefull not to break it. There is a little jet (dont drop it) get the little and blow through it they get clogged.
(The jet is about as big as a babys thumb nail silver aluminum) tiny little hole that gets clogged.

Other than that I dont know.

If the water tap is on an no tick tick tick sparking sound the water powered ignition circut has failed. The price of a call out diagnosis plus return visit and part will almost equal new unit with install. It will also fail again that I promise you. Learn by my own costly mistake. Sorry they are lemons. Buy Rinnai B26. Kind regards Paul

13H

Hi Re 13 H all was good and all of a sudden no clicking so no ignition, full gas bottle, plenty of water , can you advise? John.

John asked on Nov 16, 2017

Answer this

Hi John. Typical fault. Water driven ignition module has failed you. Part and gasget is too expensive to replace and will only fail again and again. You have joined the club of Bosch junkers. Spend your momey on a Rinnai infinity. Get the B26. Same heating specs as 26 just a few hundred cheaper and no led status light. Warranty a bit shorter as designed for builders who supply warranty on new home. Family will thank you. You have to learn to let go as you can't polish a turd. Learn by my mistake.

See all 76 questions about Bosch HydroPower

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details

16H 10H 13H
Price (RRP) $920 $850 $905

The main difference between these models is flow rate