Filter By:

If I could give Zero stars, I would

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2019

5 1/2 years. Made one claim. Awarded tiny amount. Seems most things aren't eligible for claim & the few things that are are lost in excess fees and ambiguous language used against any attempt to claim. Today they lost one long-term, highly dissatisfied customer who will be advising all other known pet owners to simply pop what would be premium fees into a separate account for use when needed. Bow Wow Meow were a valuable waste of time & money.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Dissatisfied Jane, we am sincerely sorry to hear this. We would be happy to investigate what occurred. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review and any other informati... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 comments

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Waiting a month for a claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2019

We’ve been with Bow Wow since Sept I think. Our dog became very ill suddenly and was diagnosed with an inoperable tumour. We had to euthanise her much to our great sorrow. Our vet and vet specialist kindly made the claim for us. Bow Wow contacted us for more info and this was sent. The vets sent the claims on 10/11 December and even allowing time for Christmas holidays this is a long wait. I’ve sent them a message asking what the hold up is. They are still taking our premiums. She has no history of any health problems.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Carole, I am so sorry to hear this. This is definitely not the service we strive for. Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with the above review so that we can investigate ASAP. Many thanks.

I actually did not mean to submit this comment. I did not click submit. I did send you an email very much the same as this review and by coincidence, maybe, you put some of the monies in to our acc... read more »

Since sending the above comment I have received all the monies due apart from the three premiums after 30/11/1918.

Campbelltown

Insurance claim made

They use symptoms as pre existing illness to get out of claims

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 29, 2018

My puppy accidentally ingested a poison. We have pet insurance and thought (wrongly) that this would fall under accidental (during the cooling off period), but we were incorrect, in the fine print it was wrote off as an illness. During this incident she had symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea, which is typical of poisoning. This claim was rejected with both myself and my vet being very shocked at. My also puppy vomited a few times after this for different reasons including eating too fast, or eating something yuck. This is typical to puppy behaviour and these small incidents were not claimed. Recently my puppy ingested grass seeds. She vomited and blood was present. We did make a claim for this as her lining was irritated from the seeds and treatment was needed. I felt confident that i had chosen a reputable company and would have no problem with this claim. They denied it as she has vomited during the poisoning and apparently that's an illness ? I disputed it and it came back because she vomited a few times she was not eligible for this claim. They totally overlooked the grass seeds being the cause. They also didn't call or obtain any further instruction from myself or my vets. I have another 2 claims to put in which I'm expected them to reject as during the cooling of period we used a word and it is used again. This company will write off symptoms as illnesses and will reject your claims on that alone. They will also treat one claim, eg, ear infection needing follow up consultations as individual claims, even though it relates to one matter, and will use that to not pay you. Honestly, save your money and don't waste your time with this company. Or do not take your pet to the vets at all during the cooling off period as they will use anything to deny your claims. I wish i never bothered with this company.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Justaskme, I am sorry you feel this way and understand where you are coming from. Certain conditions in the PDS are not covered in the waiting period. This is standard with all pet insurance com... read more »

Insurance claim made

Do not get this pet insurance

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

Chose other pet insurance providers other than Bow Wow Meow, worst customer service, wouldn't accept claims, really frustrating experience with them.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi xlh1030, I am sorry to hear you had negative experience with us. We would be happy to investigate this for you. In order to do this, please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au with an explanation of what occurred. Many thanks.

Sydney

• 3 comments
  • 8 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

I'm in awe how bad they are...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2018

I dont know what happened but dealing with claims is a joke now. I've had to raise an ombudsman case to try and get some action. They are doing ALL they can get get out of paying when they are meant to. This is becoming stressful. All i want is for them to pay like they are supposed to pay! Constant emails saying another 15 days is required to review your claim, this has happened 3 times. The system is a riggered because you can't go elsewhere otherwise its pre existing for the new insurance company. Beware of BOW WOW.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Kris, I am sincerely sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that our resolutions team can investigate ASAP. Please include your review in the... read more »

Hello, I've emailed as you've suggested. To make it worse, My frenchie now needs surgery for her nose/pallete so I did the right thing and submitted a preapproval claim only to be told that non el... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Kris, your e-mail has been received and our resolutions team will be investigating shortly. We will come back to you A.S.A.P.

Insurance claim made

Been weeks with no communication!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

I have been with this insurance for over 1 year now. I have only put in one claim and have had no communication regarding this claim.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Ashleigh, it is very disappointing to hear this. My sincere apologies. Please can you e-mail your policy number with this review to insurance@bowwow.com.au. We will ensure it is looked at promptly. Many thanks.

• 1 review
  • 1 question

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Beware of insurance excess it is applied to every claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2018

We have been members of Bow Wow Meow insurance for 2.5 years. In July our dog was seen for a sore leg and in October for vomiting. Unlike normal insurance companies they applied the $100 excess to both claims as they were for different conditions. Unless your pet has exactly the same complaint when they see the vet the excess will be applied to EVERY claim!! Beware!!!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Jane M, to clarify...it is a PER condition excess as explained in the PDS. This means that the excess is charged per condition (it works this way with all the pet insurers in the market). Note, ... read more »

Palm Beach

• 2 comments

Insurance claim made

The Comprehensive Cover Policy that is Not Comprehensive when it comes to BWM paying out.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

Policy taken out for my Toy Poodle nearly 9 Years ago and at that time was 100% Comprehensive Accident and Illness cover however Bow Wow Meow dropped that down to 85% within 12 months without direct notification..premiums rising every year (started $18pm now over $60pm). Advised by the Vet that my 9 yr Toy Poodle when he became ill that had Hereditary problem with his mouth/teeth with multiple Abscess forming between/under/inside teeth only visible by x-ray where all bar 4 front teeth required extraction. The product statement says they cover Hereditary conditions however not this hereditary condition when it comes to paying out. They cover Cancer treatment (not day to day comfort/care) - how many people would put their Beloved Pet through Chemo and the Insurance co. know it! Better off putting the money away each month rather than giving it to Insurance Companies. My beef with this is that Pensioners and fixed Income earners take out Pet Insurance Comprehensive Cover, pay premiums to cover in case something big/costly arises for Vet Expenses and feel the Insurance Company is not holding up their end. Have cancelled Policy after just under 9 years. What a waste of money! Advise Pensioners etc. Not to waste their money..put it into a Bank account. Typical Insurance Company. Once again Big Business Wins out over the Little People.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi SusanD, I am sorry you feel this way. We have certainly paid out many millions for eligible claims that are listed on our PDS (cancer treatment is one of them and many claim for this, but there ... read more »

Update: Friday 19th Oct. Call with Punni from Bow Wow Meow to say that upon review they will pay $73.26 pain meds (after taking $100 excess) of total bill of $1474. As policy cancelled after 9 year... read more »

Insurance claim made

Dog poisoned rushed to emergency vet - Not covered???

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2018

Not been with them long, was with Bupa before who were excellent and only moved because it just got too expensive.
I am really disappointed as at the time I needed them most they were not there to help.
My dog was poisoned somehow in the garden we think as he came in hiccupping/chocking and his eyes started to close. He ended up at the emergency vet having his stomach pumped.
This was not covered as an accidental injury - although spider bites, snake bites, burns, car accident etc is! How is this not an accidental injury? I am really upset and shocked they would not cover this.

Just a heads up for those looking to go with them - go in with the mindset that nothing really is covered within the waiting period and you'll be ok.

I was lucky our bill was only $330 but that is not the point.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for your feedback Csp. You are correct, this is not covered under accident cover. I am sorry we could not assist. We have identified this as a change in our cover in our 'new soon to be rele... read more »

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

It's been 6 months since the claim and they keep delaying payment wanting more info that we don't ha

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

We have paid insurance for 4 years for our 2 dogs. This is our first claim and we keep getting letters asking for more vet history, when we have already provided it 3 times. Luckily, our dog has been healthy and has only been to the vet 4 times over the past 4 years. He had a small lump on his lip, which we had removed, as the vet was not sure if it was cancerous or not. (luckily it was not) I rang the Bow Wow asking what is happening, and they stated they would prioritise it and it would be sorted in the next 72 hours. Almost 2 weeks have past, (with NO response) and today they have sent an email to me saying, 'Dear practice manager', clearly meant for my vet. I've rang again, and they said the same thing...that they would prioritise it. Asked to speak to a supervisor, and she states she is one. Still not sorted and my monthly premiums since the surgery have cost me more than the vet bill we are claiming for. I'm disgusted with the NO service. It's cheaper for me to put the money away in case than give it to Bow wow, that DO NOT pay the claims! appalled.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lynda, I am sincerely sorry for this. It is not the service we strive for and I can understand you feeling appalled. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that w... read more »

Sheffield

Unhappy.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

Very disappointed in this insurance company. Refused claim for ear infection saying it was a pre existing condition. First one was well and truly fixed before I took out insurance. Been with them 10 months.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lilly, we am sorry you are disappointed. Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and get back to you. Many thanks.

I tried to email my policy number through without success.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Jilly, please can you try again to using insurance@bowwow.com.au. We haven't had any issues with this e-mail so far. Many thanks.

A word of caution as your pets get older

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

Our dogs have been insured with Bow Wow Meow for approximately 8 years. In July (2018) this year I contacted Bow Wow Meow to change the frequency of payment from annually to monthly direct debit. I provided bank account details and the company debited the amount. In August I received communications that the direct debit had been unsuccessful notwithstanding that the account being debited was the one where the company had been able to debit the premium the previous month and there had been sufficient funds to cover the premium. I have since July been chasing up Bow Wow Meow via several telephone calls and emails as they have now stopped advising that the premiums have not been debited and are not debiting the monthly amounts as agreed. I need to check my bank account to see whether the premium has been deducted and when it hasn’t been I need to follow this up. I rang and spoke with a representative (yet again) last Thursday (27 September 2018) who assured me that the issue had been resolved and the premiums would be deducted from my bank account within 24 hours. I advised the consultant that I had read reviews regarding Bow Wow Meow on the web where customers had indicated that they had experienced similar difficulties to the one that I was having when their pets got older. I also advised the consultant that other than unconscionable or fraudulent behaviour on the part of Bow Wow Meow there was no reason for the premiums not to be deducted from my nominated account. I checked my bank account Tuesday 2 October and the premiums have not been not been deducted. I sent a follow up email and was advised that there was an ‘internal’ issue and that would be resolved. Still waiting. I have advised that if this behaviour of Bow Woe Meow continues past a further 5 business days I will be contacting both the ACCC and the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi, I can definitely understand your frustration here. I am not sure why you are having these difficulties but I would like to investigate this for you ASAP. Please can you e-mail your policy numbe... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Avoid at all costs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2018

I took out insurance in January for beloved BC. In early February she was treated for UTI and it turned out to be the start of urinary incontinence. Recently lodged a claim because BC is now on Propalin (expensive) and company refused claim on the grounds it was a pre-existing illness. I have asked for my claim to be reviewed. Wished I’d stayed with Petplan; this insurer is fraudulent.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lisa, we attempted to call the you on Friday and left a voice message followed up with an email advising the claim is being reviewed and to allow 10 – 15 business days for the outcome.

Mornington

• 1 answer

Insurance claim made

Under no cirumstances insure your pets with this company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

We have been 1.5 years with this insurance company and one of our dogs ruptured cruciate ligaments in both knees. After a lengthy claim process which included ages on the phone we got: nothing! This insurance is a total fraud. We should have kept the monthly insurance premiums and put them in a separate account which would have at least covered some of the costs.
The call centre is based overseas and the service is substandard. The company strategy is clearly to wear claimants down with request for additional information in order for them to go away. Even our veterinary clinic is frustrated after dealing with them.... For instance how are we to provide vet history for a rescue dog that had never seen a vet? This question is then repeated (I am not kidding) 8 times! In writing.... and that after I spent an hour with some customer service person on the phone explaining the case.
If you like your animals and want their best stay away from this fraudulent bunch. Do not buy Bow Wow Meow pet insurance.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Clem, I am sincerely sorry you have had such a negative experience. You do not need to provide vet history if it is a rescue. You only need a certificate of adoption or documentation from when y... read more »

Mooloolah Valley

Insurance claim made

Second Claim - here we go again...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2018

Still waiting on resolution of first claim....have the resolution team looking into this but its very very slow. Submitted second claim and here we go again...they have all the information but now seeking more information. Quick to take your money but slow in processing a claim. Both claims are not from previous illness but the review process is just forever slow. Now they require history of 5 years ago....seriously guys.......frustrated beyond believe. Slow communication, slow in processing, forever wanting documentation whilst you have everything on record now. Poor Poor service and claiming.....its so slow, i cannot even give you a star. I am only clicking on one otherwise i cant submit this form.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Violetta, I am very disappointed to hear this and you have my sincere apology. Please can you send your policy number or claim number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. If I receive your e-mail to this... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Shocking service - overseas call center and no payout on claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

All looks good on paper - I think something must have changed recently with their claims team that I now believe are based overseas too. Keep hitting road blocks on what should be a simple claim. Not happy at all. Not worth the money.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Kate, I am sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and get back to you. Many thanks

Birkdale, QLD

• 16 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

+++ The worst company we have ever dealt with - PLEASE DON'T USE THEM YOUR BURNING YOUR MONEY IF YOU

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

After being with this mob for 4 years we have 6 pets 3 dogs 3 cats so you can imagine we pay top $ with these so-called pet insurance providers we have tried to claim 4 times int he last 2 years and all 4 were rejected. Now we are not talking thousands here but simple things like ear infections and eye problems. No previous history of these at all and they send the exact same letter every time saying that the claim does not meet there terms and conditions of the illness. Don't say no one warned you.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am sorry to hear that Macnet1. We have paid out many millions of eligible claims so I would be happy to investigate this for you. Sometimes it is simply missing information but would definitely l... read more »

Melbourne

Keep. Looking.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2018

On day 28 of our 30 day waiting period we had our puppy examined because his urine was dark. The vet didn't make a diagnosis or suggest any treatment, and said there were no other symptoms of anything wrong.

A year into our policy, our dog developed a bladder infection. Our vet said this could have been caused by any number of things, including over-zealous grooming. But our claim was denied, as Bow Wow declared this was a pre-existing condition. In their rejection documents, Bow Wow Meow presented a diagnosis that was not made by our vet and conflated two separate and time-distinct issues into one to avoid paying out.

Their customer service was atrocious and non-responsive, and our vet told us it was strange for the insurer to rely on interpreting consultation notes alone and not have them provide any additional information to explain the diagnosis and condition.

I have since cancelled our policy and look forward to continuing to insure our pet with another company. I strongly advise you to keep looking and stay away from Bow Wow Meow.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Steph A, my apologies...please can you send through your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au as we would like to investigate this with our resolutions team. Many thanks.

I think you’ve missed the boat on resolving this. I’ve already raised it with your team and told them I was cancelling my policy, thanks to their poor coverage and responsiveness.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am very sorry about that Steph. I am able to assist if you decide to give us another chance resolving this. Apologies again.

Insurance claim made

Insurer wants my rescue dogs medical history from 3 years before I adopted him.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2018

Appalling customer service. I am 100% sure they just deny claims until you give up. Staff don't speak clear English nor understand you over the phone or email. They cant interpret information provided. I am repeatedly asked for my rescue dogs medical history from 3 years before I even met him and adopted him as I cant supply this they have refused to pay my claim. We were both attacked by another dog. I ended up in hospital and had to have surgery to put my hand back together. My dog received injuries as well. Bow wow was given a detailed dog medical report and list of injuries and a invoice receipt. I have top dog insurance and they refuse to pay the claim because I cant provide his medical history 3 years before I adopted him. I've supplied his adoption papers and the staff still dont acknowledge I didnt own him 3 years ago and cannot provide his medical history from then. Might I add it his previous medical history has nothing to do with him having an accident.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Alison, I am very disappointed to hear this and apologise sincerely. This is definitely not the service we aspire to. I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. There is no need to provide prior v... read more »

Really Dissapointing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

The couple times I have had to deal with this company have been so appalling, I wonder how they are still in business.
When we made a claim it was a very frustrating and dissapointing experience. Many many phone calls to follow up and bad service from them when you do speak to them, I really felt like they were trying to hold off and get away with not honouring our claim. When I expressed what dissapointing service and experience it was to the complaints - General Manager I received nothing than a mere 'Oh Well response'.

Months later I want to cancel the policy they have again made it very difficult and not returned calls and got me to the stage I was demanding over the phone for my policy to be canelled...and then he did it on the spot rather than the previous three phone calls were to transfer me through to some other team.
Terrible service and un-professional.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi K L, it is very disappointing to hear that. My sincere apologies. It would be appreciated if you could e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate this for tr... read more »

1 of 11 pages

I have 2 dogs aged 6.I have been researching pet insurance. My elderly parents( both in 90's) have asked me to take their dog ( aged 7)when they passover. Non of the dogs have any pre existing conditions and are healthy.No hesitation here but can I get a policy to cover my dogs and theirs under MY name as they are pensioners. If no, then when I do take on their dog it maybe over the age of 9. What then?

Ella asked on Dec 12, 2018

Answer this

You will need a full vet history from birth for the dog or the pet insurance will be a waste of time. So if the dog has only been to the one vet should be easy enough but if not, any pet insurance will not allow you to claim and it would be a waste of money. Generally you cannot insure a pet for first time over 9 years of age but check insurance PDS.

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.

Jenny asked on Oct 13, 2018

Answer this

Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.

I can guarantee that your premiums will skyrocket with this company which is why I cancelled the 3 policies I had with them many years ago which cost me far more than I ever got back. Also 2 policies increased with no claims as much as one policy with claims so don't believe them when they say claim history impacts premiums. Your premiums will increase to cover the cost of the many morons having expensive, unnecessary treatment just because they have insurance not because their pets need it. Take out accident only insurance elsewhere, find a great homeopathic vet who will keep your dogs healthy & you will find that costs far less.

Hello I have to agree with this policy holder .. I too have just received my policy renewal for our dog who is just over one year old. Only made one small claim and my policy has increased $276 I could not believe that my policy increased by so much I have only had the policy for 1 year so I can only imagine how much it will increase next year and so on .
I am now in the process of looking elsewhere for my pet insurance and cancelling this policy ( hence how I have stumbled across these reviews ) I called bow wow meow and got someone who gave me the same ridiculous response as above... excuses

My opinion read all the reviews and carefully read the insurance covers and exclusions too And I agree I too have found a great homeopathic vet

Hi do your policy cover blocked gland? consult at a vet where the vet manually expresses and may have to do this regularly thanks Gary

Gary asked on Sep 12, 2018

Answer this

Hi Gary, if the glands are being routinely expressed or expressed as a preventative procedure or Elective Treatment by a vet or nurse, this will not be covered. This exclusion is listed under ‘Day to Day’ care in section 6 of the PDS. “preventative procedures and treatment (including, but not limited to, vaccinations, routine gland expression, flea/tick/worm control)”, as well as preventable procedures and Elective Treatments.
In cases where the pet requires medical treatment for the gland due to impaction, infection, abscess or rupture, we may cover the Treatment under Illness Cover provided the Condition is not Pre-existing.

Take your dog to somewhere like city farmers or pet barn where they groom animals, they charge one third of what the vets charge ie $15 compared to $40 or learn to do it yourself, fingers at 5 and 7 using a glove

See all 135 questions about Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance