Filter By:

Waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2018

We had a 'comprehensive - 80% back' insurance policy. They only paid $100 back on a $900 claim after charging us 3 separate excess on one surgery. Being entirely dissatisfied with that we tried to cancel our policy which was refused because we'd made a claim during the policy period. Very unhappy.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Liz, I understand your disappointment. We have received your policy number and we will investigate on your behalf.

Verified Customer

Nightmare! 8 years of premiums for nothing!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

I have been a loyal BWM customer with 3 dogs insured. I paid over $900 per year each for insurance for my dogs. When it looked like my beloved dog, Sylvie, was going to need an operation, I did what I thought was the right thing and called BWM to ask whether the required surgery was covered. I had never made a claim for her before - ever. What a nightmare! All I needed was clear information about what was covered - could not get it. I explained that the situation was serious and my dog's quality of life was very much dependent on having surgery. They said that because the surgery was 'elective" (I explained she couldn't walk without it) that she would not be covered and would need to write an additional 'application proposal' explaining what treatment was needed and why. I reinforced that my vet had provided the URGENT option of surgery or else, unthinkably, euthanasia... it was a distressing situation to say the least. On the phone the customer service person happily said "oh, yes, we can cover euthanasia!" It was so upsetting as I explained that was NOT the choice I wanted to make! I tried to clarify over and over but had real difficulty in making my situation understood. Over the phone, I was told that surgery to help my dog was very unlikely to be covered - no matter what that surgery was, yet if I was to KILL my dog - they would be 'happy' to cover the cost (after I did all the paperwork of course). It was an absolutely AWFUL conversation, followed up with an equally impersonal email from the company reinforcing that a separate application for any 'elective' surgery would be needed and that there was no guarantee anything would be covered anyway!
I am devastated to say that my dog's condition worsened and I had to make the heartbreaking decision to let her go. I continue to mourn her loss. I am angry that the thousands of dollars spent on this policy went to nothing. When I needed it, BWM had little interest in helping my precious pet. If only I had kept that money aside.
I have now cancelled the policy on my surviving dog and will never purchase pet insurance again. What a waste of time and money. I thought I was investing in help when I needed it, especially as my dogs aged. Instead I am left bereft, upset and poorly treated. Shame on this company. I will ensure that as many people as possible know about their lack of compassion and horrendous customer service.

Comments

Just to reiterate - the surgery was not anything out of the ordinary. It was pretty standard canine orthopaedic surgery.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Kristen, I am very upset to hear your story and sincerely apologise for this. I am not sure exactly what occurred but this is definitely something we would like to investigate from our side. I a... read more »

Insurance claim made

Horrendous customer service and claiming process was difficult

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2018

When making a claim online, change of address was not updated by staff. Cheque sent to wrong address. Terrible service when did call to find out where missing money is. Small things, but kept referring to me by my partners name, not the name on email or signature. Last three emails have not had replies. First claim and am very unimpressed, wouldn't recommend this service and will change providers based on this poor first impression.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am sincerely sorry to hear you have has such a poor experience Erica. I can definitely understand your frustration - my apologies. This is not what we aspire to. Please can you e-mail your polic... read more »

Insurance claim made

Rejected claim Bow Wow Meouch!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

We took out pet insurance prior to picking up our pups, doing the right thing as owners. We took them to the Vet after collection for their 2nd vaccination and check as any responsible owner would do. One of our pups had a slight heart murmur that the consulting Vet had to get a 2nd opinion as he said it was very faint. The 3rd vaccination it was still present. We were recommended to bring him back at 6 months old and it was still there. The Vet recommended a cardiologist check so we booked him in the following day, as responsible owners would do. He was diagnosed with aorta stenosis. We put in a claim for the costs and it was rejected. Because we took our pet to the Vet for a vaccination/health check within "the 30'day waiting period", he was not eligible for the claim. Had we waited 3 more weeks for the waiting period to elapse he would be covered. What a joke you people are, disgraceful. How about advertising your police with this 30'day waiting period at the forefront of your ads? Hmmmm not sure how you would go on the selling front. Thank god for social media. And don't reply and say you feel sorry and it's a not what we stand for or whatever. Game on Bow Wow Me "oh we won't be processing your claim" ow...ch.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Responsible Owner, I understand your frustration, however, all pet insurance policies have a 30 day waiting period. Unfortunately, waiting periods needed to be put in place for illness condition... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Too expensive

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 26, 2018

Initially I thought it was a good value policy, but my premium increased by over $100 in three years even though I haven't made a claim. Cancelling the policy is proving very difficult, I have called twice and no one is available in the cancellation department to carry out my request.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lisa, I am sorry to hear this. Premium increases vary depending on breed and age and other factors. However, please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. I would be happy... read more »

NOT CLEAR WHEN TAKING OUT POLICY

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2018

We took out insurance for our new pup. we have just put in a claim a year later and it has been considered a " pre existing condition" because he was taken to the vet within the first 30 days of the policy! BUYER BEWARE any clinical notes written within the first 30 days of policy by the vet will be a pre existing condition. so basically you cannot take your pet to the vet if they are sick!!! total rubbish and we will be cancelling our policy at the end of its one year term.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Michelle, unfortunately as with all pet insurance and with human health insurance there are waiting periods. The 30 day waiting period for illness cover is across the board with all pet insuranc... read more »

I understand it is to cover yourself for people who have animals with pre existing BIG medical issues. But what are we meant to do...leave our 12 week old puppy with an ear infection for a month?! ... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Michelle. I will raise this with the Bow Wow Meow team so that we can look at ways of making this clearer for our policy holders.

• 5 comments

Insurance claim made

CRAP Customer Service and the first claim I put in they REJECT for pre-existing condition that is NO

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 21, 2018

So I've been signed up for Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance for a few months.

Due to my own doing, I inadvertently was over-zealous when brushing our miniature poodle and managed to puncture his skin. The area of skin became infected and the poor boy came down with a fever, visit to the vet etc.

I submitted a claim and they immediately requested the full vet history. A terse and cold letter, zero emotion and a typical insurance company trying to weasel their way out of claim.

Happy to take your premium, but will do everything they can do get out of it.

They then sent me this, 'We'd love to hear your feedback'. Well I let them know, zero interest, zero compassion, just 'sent the full vet history'.

They ring me back a few days later and crap on about, 'yeah, we know the letter could be better'.

I talk to the girl about what happened with Thomas and that it was my fault, and not a pre-existing condition.

Sure, she says, I'll put some notes down on the claim.

I log into the portal 8 days later and see 'Not Covered' against the claim, no phone call, no nothing.

Here's my message to the company

---------------------------------
It has been 8 days since I've submitted Thomas' vet history with no reply.

In looking at the online portal I see a statement saying 'Not Covered'

Yet, you have not rung me.

Poor customer service.

The claim was for a lesion that I caused, by overbrushing Thomas

Yet, you say pre-existing???

This is NOT a skin condition, it was a puncture of Thomas' skin that I caused inadvertently.

How dare you say this is a pre-existing condition.

You happily take my fortnightly premium and something that is NOT a pre-existing condition you say that it is.

Product Reviews
Facebook

here we come.

This is my first claim, we have just picked up a second dog and I'm thinking, why the bloody hell should I insure my dog through you?

Very very very disappointed. I seriously am disgusted and angry.
Call Me and make this right!
-------------------

I truly am disgusted. They happily take my $35 a fortnight....

Let's wait for the 'Social guy/girl from the insurance company to say' ... Gee, sorry about this, let me help you... You know what?? You should have looked at the FACTS/TRUTH before you say, 'Not Covered'!!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

HI BouncyTigger, I am sorry you have had such a poor experience with us. This has been sent through to the resolutions team for review. We will contact you as soon as you we more details.

An update on this. Bow Wow was sent this message privately more than 2 years ago (without the review being published). They did respond to the post and apologised directly over the phone. The upd... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Extremely poor customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2018

I held policies for my 2 dogs for 3 years with Bow Wow Meow. Luckily within that time i never had to make a claim. I recently attempted to cancel my policy because another insurer was offering better cover for the same price that i was already paying with Bow Wow Meow. I called and followed the directions to speak to someone about cancelling my policy, however once i was finally speaking to a real person they had no idea why i was calling. They couldn't hear what i was saying despite me yelling into the phone. And once i finally communicated my intent to cancel, i was told that the person who cancels policies was not in the office. I would have to wait 24-48 business hours for a call back. Midday on a thursday and there is no one in the office who can cancel my policy? Obviously I was frustrated. I never received a call back, and it was 7 days later when i received an email stating my policies had been cancelled as per my request. The email also stated that I had cancelled within the cooling off period and would receive a full refund for all policies paid within 5-10 business days. After 12 business days I have received no refund, so I called them. The person who I spoke to this time, informed me that the only policy was cancelled for one dog, the other policy had been cancelled over 12 months earlier. I said this is impossible because each month i have had Bow Wow Meow withdraw money from my account for both policies. I also have a certificate of insurance for both policies. Plus the most recent email i had received which confirmed my cancellation, stated it was for 2 policies (not 1). The representative continued to deny all this and state that only one policy had been recently cancelled, and the other policy had been cancelled over 12 months earlier. And that i was only being charged for 1 policy - my bank statements clearly show i was having two different amounts withdrawn on the same day by Bow Wow Meow. The representative also stated that the email i received was wrong, and that the cooling off period had lapsed, so i would not receive any refund. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she refused this, until I threatened to contact the financial ombudsman. I then was transferred to a supervisor who clarified that the policies for both my dogs were active until my recent request to cancel, at which point both policies were cancelled. She also clarified that the cooling off period is 21 days, which had lapsed, and it was an error in the email stating that i would receive any refund. However, they will refund the most recent payment for both policies (this is one month), within 5 business days. I will wait to see if this arrives or not. I am more concerned by the fact that they claimed my policy had been cancelled for over 12 months without my knowledge and they were still charging me for it. What if i had to make a claim within this time? I am so glad i have left this disorganised insurer and will never be returning or recommending them.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Anonomous, this is very disappointing to hear and I sincerely apologise for the confusion. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please e-mail your policy numbers to insurance@bowwow.com.... read more »

Insurance claim made

Receive no follow up call

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2018

Still waiting for my claim to be processed even though vets and I have provided all the info very disappointing to not get one phone call to assist to resolve this situation have called and emailed numerous times to no avail or outcome

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi StillWaiting, I was advised the following: The claim was on hold for a missing invoice from early Feb. The vets did send information a couple of times but unfortunately they sent the wrong invoi... read more »

Don't waste your money!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2018

I would highly recommend no one waste your money with this company. You will get sick and tired of hearing excuses as to why they won't pay out a claim with a favorite word they use been "sign or symptom".
We are over $5000 out of pocket for medical expenses and we had the top cover.
When discussed with our vet about the claims not getting paid out, she was disgusted and said its some of the worst she has heard.

A number of friends and people from the dog club are cancelling policies with Bow Wow and I will ensure friends and family follow suit.

Good riddance to Bow Wow.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Tim07, I am sorry to hear this. Would it be OK to investigate this. All I need is a policy number e-mailed to insurance@bowwow.com.au with a brief description on what you claimed for. Please attention it to Greg. Many thanks.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Tim, our Resolutions team has endeavoured to call you a few times and has been unable to reach you. The claim for the Patella Luxation was noted to be a pre-existing condition as clinical signs ... read more »

All you have done is read your notes and not speak to my vet as discussed . Not one single person has tried to call me so that's a blatant lie including returning phone calls as promised so we can ... read more »

Wodonga West

• 5 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes

Very Poor Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2018

After three years sent in claims for my dog's operation $1800.00 - claim was REFUSED because they need the vet history which I had sent in three times in 18months
Also REFUSED to pay for yearly vaccinations and general dental work $ 1000
PLUS REFUSED to pay when beloved 14year old dog had to be put down as they did not have the 14 years history from 7 different vets in three different states
Anything and any excuse not to pay out BUT claim they payout the best HA HA !!!
If they accept you payments they should at least keep any paperwork you send in and NOT DEMAND fresh copies for each claim.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Ebee, I am sorry about this. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number so that I can investigate exactly what has happened. Just to clarify our policy cover; dental w... read more »

Tried to contact you but you did not give your name - Seems to be normal business practise these days in case you are identified. No one knew what to do as I did not have your name BUT they did s... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Ebee, did you manage to send your policy number to the above e-mail address? That is the only way I will receive it. This is something that the resolutions team needs to look at. It will come di... read more »

Canberra

• 2 comments
Private message

Warning: BWM premiums rise EXPONENTIALLY after first year - and for a puppy!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

I took out a BWM policy as soon as my pup was eligible (2 months I think?). He's been on it for a year. I've only made one claim that netted me a measly 5 dollars.

In the second year, all of a sudden, his premium has gone up by more than $100. That's more than 20%!

He's only 1 years old. I can't afford premiums to jump 20% every year for the rest of his life. Even more alarming is - if it jumps by 20% when he's a one year old puppy, how much will it jump when he's 7 or 8???

I called customer service, who was nice, but couldn't help. They even commented that the jump was high, considering that I hadn't received a discount for the first year.

BWM - why does the premium go up by 20% for a one year old puppy? How much more will it go up when he's older and it's harder for us to switch?? For those reading this review - if you're trying to be a responsible pet owner and insuring your puppy as soon as you can, make sure you choose a provider that doesn't fleece you with increasingly higher premiums. It'll be hard to switch later on when the dog has a pre-existing condition.

Also - when I contacted customer service I asked them to not direct debit the higher premium until I'd considered all my options. But they direct debited the higher premium anyway. Not great. Now I have to call them back to get it sorted out...

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Nahm, the only reason this looks like a 20% jump is because you probably received a 2 month free puppy promotion which was spread over the 12 month period in your first year. This promotion tran... read more »

As I stated in my review above, BWM already confirmed via email that I DID NOT get any discount for the first year. To directly quote your response, you said 'I have checked the policy and first ... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks Nahm, I will investigate and get back to you.

Insurance claim made

Cancelled my policy. No Australian customer service once you have been signed up.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 08, 2018

Never deal with this company, they sign you up with Australian staff then after that any further inquiries is from the Philippines. After making a claim for my puppy they declined because she had been treated for water in her ears previous to the policy. My pup has floppy ears so it was inevitable that this was going to happen again, if they decline a ear infection they would some how decline another claim. You email info but they take 3 weeks to reply and they seem to move the goal post again and again, had to resend info even though it went directly to the website email. Worst experience.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi KMAC, I am sorry you feel this way. We do have a call centre in Chatswood, however, if this is very busy, the call is directed to the Philippines. Unfortunately, as per our product disclosure st... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Horrible as ever ! be careful!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 30, 2018

I had a claim in December, after 14 days waiting, they asked me to provide all vet visiting history.
So I collected all history documents to email them back.
Another 10 days after, they requested the same thing again by posting me a mail!!
So I called them to ask why I have to process the same thing again as I have had provided everything!
They told me there are 3 months without vet history? I feel like this is ridiculous! If my dog was healthy during that period of course I wouldn't need to visit a vet!!
So I had to call them again and again to answer all they questions, then they asked me to wait for another 7-10 days.

After another 10 days, they messaged me again: saying my back account is incorrect!
However, it is exactly the same account they charge me! how come you have a wrong account!

So I had to call them again to update, they said another 14 days to wait.

Now, I don't even know if I'll eventually get my money back from the claim!
They will try to find all excuses to don't finalize the claim!
I'll change my pet insurance company for sure!!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jaden, I am terribly sorry to hear this. It is unacceptable that this is the service you received and not the standard we strive for. It would be appreciated if you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.a... read more »

Sydney

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Beware - Bow Wow Meow

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2018

I have also just been through a very traumatising event with the FIP death of my beautiful 9 month British Blue. I took the top insurance policy out with Bow Wow Meow. They wouldn't cover a thing and were completely heartless when I tried to speak with them. FIP affects 1 in 5000 cats. You would think pet insurance would cover 1 poor little cat out of the other 5000 cats they have on their books!!! We insure our beloved pets for 1 reason, to get assistance in an emergency or crisis. I am now left with a bill of close to $5000. Sorry doesn't cut it. It won't bring my cat back. A little help would have gone a long way during the devastating week. I have cancelled my policy for my other cat. Hopefully Bow Wow Meow learn from all of us posting our experiences.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Dan, Thanks so much for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about the loss of your little friend ... It was only such a young kitten... And apologies we haven't lived up to your expectation... read more »

• 1 answer

Terrible to deal with

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2018

I have tried to submit a claim for my dog getting 2 teeth pulled out, after submitting the documents the first time I was told I needed more info. After providing the extra documents I was told the claim was outside of the policy period. I’ve taken the policy out mid last year and am still paying monthly for it, so I’m unsure how it’s outside of the policy period. /: Very frustrated that I’m forking out money every month and get nothing back!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Katie, thanks so much for sharing your experience with us and we are sorry you are having troubles with your claim. We would like to investigate this case further. Could you please send your pol... read more »

Western Australia

Misleading and disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

I have been with bow wow Insurance for the past 3 years and have had no problems until now! as soon as my dog needs a cruciate ligament surgery they refuse to pay. When I first signed him up for the Insurance I filled out the cruciate ligament form and my vet sent my dogs history through to bow wow and they said that he would have to wait 6 months for any cruciate ligament claim. No problem! Two and a half years later and my dog needs to have his cruciate ligament surgery they refuse to pay saying that it is a pre existing condition! Which would be fine if they actually told me that he was not covered for this... I am so annoyed because I even phoned them prior to his surgery to check that he would be covered and they said he was so you can imagine my disappointment when I receive the letter telling me they won’t pay up! I feel they have been misleading and that I have been ripped off!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Ash, we do pay cruciate ligaments provided they are not pre-existing conditions. It is difficult to comment without knowing exactly what occurred here. Accordingly, please can you e-mail insuran... read more »

Insurance claim made

I concur with the reviews below - they are cheats

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

Exactly the same situation as a lot of the negative reviews below, they will try everything they can to NOT pay out on claims. The whole point of having insurance is peace of mind you're covered when something goes wrong, but not with these guys, you have to satisfy every single technicality and criteria to be paid out. And with an annual excess per condition you will hardly be getting anything back for small claims if at all. Customer service is routed to god knows where and does not even attempt to resolve the situation, they're basically reading out of a script. AVOID!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Will, I am sorry you feel this way. In terms of the excess, we do provide the option of choosing a lower or Nil excess. The benefit of a higher excess is a lower premium so this is something tha... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Unethical and poor communication

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2018

Renewed my policy without any communication, one month later the company send out renewal for contract for in excess of $860, and informed I have 21 days to cancel the contract. Letter is also not dated.
I have spoken to 3 people from the company to cancel the contract , and everyone will supposedly call me back. Apparently the renewal price on the letter was a typo????? Contract i# $476, however when I put same information for an online quote it is $80 -$100cheaper????
Still waiting on a call from last Thursday to cancel the contract.
Very poor customer service and fail to return a simple phone call.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi JV1, we have received your communications and we are currently investigating. Sincere apologies. We will get back to you ASAP.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Cheats

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2018

Terrible company. Avoid at all costs. Had no trouble taking my payments for four years but found every excuse not to pay when I needed to claim. They are thieves and cheats and one to stay away. Have had more reputable companies recommended by my vet and have changed to a more honest company. Don't let yourself be cheated, stay away from bow wow meow. Trust someone who has been ripped off by these thieves.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Mrs Taylor, I am sorry you feel this way. We do pay out many millions of eligible claims (as you can see from the multitude of positive reviews), so we would be happy to investigate this for you... read more »

1 of 9 pages