Filter By:

Insurance claim made

Insurer wants my rescue dogs medical history from 3 years before I adopted him.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2018

Appalling customer service. I am 100% sure they just deny claims until you give up. Staff don't speak clear English nor understand you over the phone or email. They cant interpret information provided. I am repeatedly asked for my rescue dogs medical history from 3 years before I even met him and adopted him as I cant supply this they have refused to pay my claim. We were both attacked by another dog. I ended up in hospital and had to have surgery to put my hand back together. My dog received injuries as well. Bow wow was given a detailed dog medical report and list of injuries and a invoice receipt. I have top dog insurance and they refuse to pay the claim because I cant provide his medical history 3 years before I adopted him. I've supplied his adoption papers and the staff still dont acknowledge I didnt own him 3 years ago and cannot provide his medical history from then. Might I add it his previous medical history has nothing to do with him having an accident.

Really Dissapointing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

The couple times I have had to deal with this company have been so appalling, I wonder how they are still in business.
When we made a claim it was a very frustrating and dissapointing experience. Many many phone calls to follow up and bad service from them when you do speak to them, I really felt like they were trying to hold off and get away with not honouring our claim. When I expressed what dissapointing service and experience it was to the complaints - General Manager I received nothing than a mere 'Oh Well response'.

Months later I want to cancel the policy they have again made it very difficult and not returned calls and got me to the stage I was demanding over the phone for my policy to be canelled...and then he did it on the spot rather than the previous three phone calls were to transfer me through to some other team.
Terrible service and un-professional.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi K L, it is very disappointing to hear that. My sincere apologies. It would be appreciated if you could e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate this for tr... read more »

Waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

Paid for 3 years from when our dog was a puppy with no claims and the one time I submit a claim it’s denied. Save your money and don’t bother using bow wow or anyone else that flogs off petsure insurance because when something comes that’s actually worth claiming they’ll leave you hanging out to dry.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi J.Warner, we are sorry to hear this and would like to investigate this with the claims area. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can assist. Many thanks.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Really disappointing.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

Submitted two claims following our dog’s accident. At first it seemed to be going through, as there was no notification from Bow Wow that there had been issues. Then I find out through the portal that they require a complete history. Fine, I submitted that. Then again through the portal (was checking daily at this point, because I was not receiving any emails or texts to confirm they’d received the documents) I found out that they’d requested the documents again. Okay, submitted AGAIN via email.
Finally, I call. They tell me that they’ve been unable to open the documents. Requested I sent through photos. So I email photos, hear nothing and finally the first claim is processed.
The second claim I’m still waiting on. I have a claim number and everything. So I call again. They say they’ve processed the first claim and the second was a duplicate. No, it was a separate claim for another hospital. But they tell me they couldn’t access the documents. I repeated they had been sent in JPEG at their request, at least 3 times. But there’s no record of that email, so please submit again.

They said they will try and ‘expedite’ this claim. But if not, it’ll be 7 to 10 days.

If only they’d notified me immediately that the documents couldn’t be opened, then I could have resubmitted again.

Also the website is ineffective. You cannot view individual claims. So how can you track it yourself?

Very disappointing, looking at a new insurer for our pet following the outcome of this claim.

(However — thank you to staff who actually try to help in the call centre).

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Koda Bear, it is very disappointing to hear this. My sincere apologies. Please supply your policy number so I can hand this over to the resolutions team and ensure it goes through quickly (pleas... read more »

Thank you for your fast response. I have emailed my policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Received, thank you. A resolutions team member will get back to you ASAP.

• 2 comments

Insurance claim made

Would not accept an accident claim...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

After being insured for a year we submitted our first claim. However it was declined because we did not provide them with a full vet history (he is a rescue dog). We are trying to claim for a scratch our dog had on his eye.
Very disappointing. Stay away!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Carly, please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so we can get our resolutions team to look at this. We definitely cover rescue dogs. All that is needed is a certificat... read more »

I have already sent that through.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Carly, I can only access your e-mails at insurance@bowwow.com.au. Please ensure it is sent to that e-mail address so I can assist, as I can not find it. Many thanks.

Insurance claim made

Not sure if it’s worth it....

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

My German shepherd needs both cruciates done and I’ve been paying pet insurance for almost 5 years for her. I phoned them and they initially said they cover 80%.....wow how great! But oh yeah it’s capped at $2600 TOTAL per annum for cruciates whether you have 1 done or 2!!! So the surgery will cost total $11,000 plus physio after and they give me back $2600 which doesn’t even come close to 1 of the surgeries.
Not sure why I pay for pet insurance when I’ve paid weekly for so long and barely benefit!
Not even human health insurance is that brutal

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Policy holder for 12 years - today I cancelled. Not good enough!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2018

I have held my policy since I first got my puppy in 2005. In recent years I've had my policy increase with no claims made over the last 3-4 years. I put in a claim for teeth cleaning, annual vaccinations and routine blood screen this year. My out of pocket was $697 and I was given a rebate of $60. I pay just under $1000 per year for this policy and I cannot fathom how this is actually good value. Considering I've been a loyal customer for all this time with few claims, I found their ability to satisfy my requests as a customer extremely poor. An annual cap of 'routine' care to $50 which includes an expensive procedure such as teeth cleaning is underhanded. I'm better off putting the money I pay them into an interest account and cashing in when required. I urge others considering pet insurance to do the same - absolute joke!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi MelbD, I am sorry to hear you are dissatisfied. The policies are designed to cover accidents and illnesses. It looks like the claims you have placed are routine care items and thus our policies have limited cover for them.

You're clearly ignoring the fact that I'm telling you as a policy holder of 12 years, having spent $9000 on insurance in that time with you, that this IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I hope more of your policy... read more »

Newcastle

Insurance claim made

Writing a second review because we have a second issue

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

So our dog had what we thought was a breathing issue. Took her to the vet, and thankfully she was ok. We submitted our claim and it got rejected, apparently because it was a 'health check'. Except it wasn't. We wouldn't have taken her had we not thought something was wrong. Not to mention the response email was barely written in English because Bow Wow has an offshore customer service team.

"Nixie’s claim wasn’t rejected because it is a vaccination/health check under Routine care hence it is a consultation to check if there is something wrong to the pet. You have completely verify the result is positive since everything is normal. Please be advised be advised that we only cover your expenses if there is something wrong with the pet.

I’m sorry to say but if your vet confirmed that there is something wrong with Nixie’s breathing this claim should’ve been covered."

We asked to be shown where in the PDS it states that they won't pay if there is lucky enough to be nothing wrong with your dog. They then linked us a copy of the PDS. We requested again to be shown and we are still waiting.

Words cannot describe how terrible Bow Wow is.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jesse, I can understand your disappointment - my apologies. I would definitely like to investigate what occurred from our end. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so we can get to the bottom of this. Many thanks

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jesse, following the investigation, I can confirm that your claim was assessed as a regular health check and not an illness. The reason I was given was because the notes were not detailed enough... read more »

Insurance claim made

After 3 years, we can't make a small claim and they can't let us know why, it's like a scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

We have our dog insurance with Bow Wow Meow insurance since 3 years ago. We pay $55 every month. We were trying to make a small claim under $150 about 2 months ago, and we were told to provide them all the medical reports and paperwork from since the dog was a puppy before we took the insurance policy. Shouldn't they ask for the papers before we signed up?

So we collected all the information and paperwork from the vet and resubmitted the claim. After a long few weeks later, we got a letter saying we were not able to make a claim. We called them to ask why but no one can give us an answer of why the claim is unsuccessful, and no one could give us their name but a case number.

They are not helpful, it's very difficult to make a claim. We are only asking for a small claim under $150, imagine if we wanted to make a big claim of few thousand dollars after so many years paying for the insurance policy? It feels like a scam!

The 5 star reviews on the page were not consistent, they all happened 12-13 of July. I urge people do not go for this insurance company. After 5 years of paying the insurance policy, they only asked for the medical report and paperwork when you want to get a claim. They could reject your claim for whatever reason after that. It's a scam!

August 3rd 2018 Update: After reviewing the Bow Wow Meow insurance, nothing has changed

I noticed many people have the same experience as me for not able to make even a tiny little claim, and even a friend who has the same experience. Bow Wow Meow claimed that they pay MILLIONS for insurance compensation but we cannot understand how did they do that when we customers cannot make a claim and no follow up for what reason we are not eligible, and they service was cold, slow, lack of empathy and understanding, in 2018 this kinda corporate behaviour cannot be tolerated, they are taking advantage on animal owners vulnerability and toying with our emotion but give zero damn about their customers as long as their policy is paid.

After months of trying to make a claim of $130, I give up. After numerous calls, emails, and social media posts, no one can answer me an easy question, why cant we make a claim? We provided every documents they asked, and we paid our bill on time.

I urge every pet owner stay away from this company, search for a better one. There are bad and good reviews, bad ones are all in the same situations, good ones hardly mention anything but good service, I am wondering if those reviews are genuine because people around me never have positive experience with them. Stay away from this company. They have no heart.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Colin, we have paid out many millions in claims and been in business for around a decade, so we are certainly not a scam. However, it is disappointing to hear about the poor service you received... read more »

Sydney

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2018

Called several times to have 4 policies cancelled. Took 6 days to receive email confirmation of cancellation. Only to have them take money out of my account AGAIN. DISGRACEFUL.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Yuri, my sincere apologies. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au and I will ensure that this is looked at ASAP.

I have now been debited twice and all the company can say is sorry.

Newcastle

• 2 comments

Insurance claim made

Don't pay claims and awful customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

Our dog got a very minor illness that was quickly fixed by some medication and a follow up consultation. It cost about $200. This was our first ever claim with Bow Wow. That was weeks ago. Have we received any money? No. We've contacted them more than 20 times, both email and phone. They are useless. Their phone contact centre is offshore, and rather than answering questions about why the claim hadn't been processed, they kept repeating things I already knew. The email customer service team just kept sending an email replying with "just submit a full vet history." Helpful. We have asked our vet 3 times to send a full history through. Not only are they wasting our time, they're wasting our vet's time. At best Bow Wow is hopelessly incompetent, at worst they are simply refusing to pay claims to profit. Absolute rip off and a waste of money.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jesse, I am sorry to hear you have had a poor experience with us. This is disappointing and I can understand your frustration. We would like to fix this ASAP. Please can you e-mail insurance@bow... read more »

Update: Completely inadequate response from Bow Wow. Haven't addressed any of my concerns. Considering contacting the Financial Services Ombudsmen. Don't make the mistake of going with Bow Wow.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jesse, our resolutions team advised that they are e-mailing details to you this morning. From my understanding, the claim benefit has been authorised but we have failed to collect premium, so it looks like this is close to being finalised.

queensland

• 11 comments
  • 1 question
  • 5 answers
  • 31 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Bow wow miow all good taking premiums for years untiil you make your first small claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2018

I would. Never deal with this company ever again.
Claim took over a month and now say it's a pre-existing condition ( a rash)
Beware, get everything in writing, and know that you pay thousands in premiums and it's worth absolutely nothing

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi ILOVEMYGRANNY, I am very sorry you feel this way and apologise for the delay. The average processing times are 5-10 days from receipt of all requested documents so I am not sure where this was h... read more »

• 14 helpful votes

Incompetent

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2018

I rang bow wow meow up and asked to put my account on hold until i changed bank details and they said ok all done. Next minute i got a email saying that they tried to take money out and it was unsuccessful and cancelled my insurance. Now im struggling to get insurance because this incompetent company. Not happy

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Brad, my sincere apologies for this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can assist. Many thanks.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2018

We had a 'comprehensive - 80% back' insurance policy. They only paid $100 back on a $900 claim after charging us 3 separate excess on one surgery. Being entirely dissatisfied with that we tried to cancel our policy which was refused because we'd made a claim during the policy period. Very unhappy.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Liz, I understand your disappointment. We have received your policy number and we will investigate on your behalf.

Verified Customer

Nightmare! 8 years of premiums for nothing!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

I have been a loyal BWM customer with 3 dogs insured. I paid over $900 per year each for insurance for my dogs. When it looked like my beloved dog, Sylvie, was going to need an operation, I did what I thought was the right thing and called BWM to ask whether the required surgery was covered. I had never made a claim for her before - ever. What a nightmare! All I needed was clear information about what was covered - could not get it. I explained that the situation was serious and my dog's quality of life was very much dependent on having surgery. They said that because the surgery was 'elective" (I explained she couldn't walk without it) that she would not be covered and would need to write an additional 'application proposal' explaining what treatment was needed and why. I reinforced that my vet had provided the URGENT option of surgery or else, unthinkably, euthanasia... it was a distressing situation to say the least. On the phone the customer service person happily said "oh, yes, we can cover euthanasia!" It was so upsetting as I explained that was NOT the choice I wanted to make! I tried to clarify over and over but had real difficulty in making my situation understood. Over the phone, I was told that surgery to help my dog was very unlikely to be covered - no matter what that surgery was, yet if I was to KILL my dog - they would be 'happy' to cover the cost (after I did all the paperwork of course). It was an absolutely AWFUL conversation, followed up with an equally impersonal email from the company reinforcing that a separate application for any 'elective' surgery would be needed and that there was no guarantee anything would be covered anyway!
I am devastated to say that my dog's condition worsened and I had to make the heartbreaking decision to let her go. I continue to mourn her loss. I am angry that the thousands of dollars spent on this policy went to nothing. When I needed it, BWM had little interest in helping my precious pet. If only I had kept that money aside.
I have now cancelled the policy on my surviving dog and will never purchase pet insurance again. What a waste of time and money. I thought I was investing in help when I needed it, especially as my dogs aged. Instead I am left bereft, upset and poorly treated. Shame on this company. I will ensure that as many people as possible know about their lack of compassion and horrendous customer service.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Just to reiterate - the surgery was not anything out of the ordinary. It was pretty standard canine orthopaedic surgery.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Kristen, I am very upset to hear your story and sincerely apologise for this. I am not sure exactly what occurred but this is definitely something we would like to investigate from our side. I a... read more »

Insurance claim made

Horrendous customer service and claiming process was difficult

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2018

When making a claim online, change of address was not updated by staff. Cheque sent to wrong address. Terrible service when did call to find out where missing money is. Small things, but kept referring to me by my partners name, not the name on email or signature. Last three emails have not had replies. First claim and am very unimpressed, wouldn't recommend this service and will change providers based on this poor first impression.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am sincerely sorry to hear you have has such a poor experience Erica. I can definitely understand your frustration - my apologies. This is not what we aspire to. Please can you e-mail your polic... read more »

Insurance claim made

Rejected claim Bow Wow Meouch!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

We took out pet insurance prior to picking up our pups, doing the right thing as owners. We took them to the Vet after collection for their 2nd vaccination and check as any responsible owner would do. One of our pups had a slight heart murmur that the consulting Vet had to get a 2nd opinion as he said it was very faint. The 3rd vaccination it was still present. We were recommended to bring him back at 6 months old and it was still there. The Vet recommended a cardiologist check so we booked him in the following day, as responsible owners would do. He was diagnosed with aorta stenosis. We put in a claim for the costs and it was rejected. Because we took our pet to the Vet for a vaccination/health check within "the 30'day waiting period", he was not eligible for the claim. Had we waited 3 more weeks for the waiting period to elapse he would be covered. What a joke you people are, disgraceful. How about advertising your police with this 30'day waiting period at the forefront of your ads? Hmmmm not sure how you would go on the selling front. Thank god for social media. And don't reply and say you feel sorry and it's a not what we stand for or whatever. Game on Bow Wow Me "oh we won't be processing your claim" ow...ch.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Responsible Owner, I understand your frustration, however, all pet insurance policies have a 30 day waiting period. Unfortunately, waiting periods needed to be put in place for illness condition... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Too expensive

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 26, 2018

Initially I thought it was a good value policy, but my premium increased by over $100 in three years even though I haven't made a claim. Cancelling the policy is proving very difficult, I have called twice and no one is available in the cancellation department to carry out my request.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lisa, I am sorry to hear this. Premium increases vary depending on breed and age and other factors. However, please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. I would be happy... read more »

NOT CLEAR WHEN TAKING OUT POLICY

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2018

We took out insurance for our new pup. we have just put in a claim a year later and it has been considered a " pre existing condition" because he was taken to the vet within the first 30 days of the policy! BUYER BEWARE any clinical notes written within the first 30 days of policy by the vet will be a pre existing condition. so basically you cannot take your pet to the vet if they are sick!!! total rubbish and we will be cancelling our policy at the end of its one year term.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Michelle, unfortunately as with all pet insurance and with human health insurance there are waiting periods. The 30 day waiting period for illness cover is across the board with all pet insuranc... read more »

I understand it is to cover yourself for people who have animals with pre existing BIG medical issues. But what are we meant to do...leave our 12 week old puppy with an ear infection for a month?! ... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Michelle. I will raise this with the Bow Wow Meow team so that we can look at ways of making this clearer for our policy holders.

• 5 comments
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

CRAP Customer Service and the first claim I put in they REJECT for pre-existing condition that is NO

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 21, 2018

So I've been signed up for Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance for a few months.

Due to my own doing, I inadvertently was over-zealous when brushing our miniature poodle and managed to puncture his skin. The area of skin became infected and the poor boy came down with a fever, visit to the vet etc.

I submitted a claim and they immediately requested the full vet history. A terse and cold letter, zero emotion and a typical insurance company trying to weasel their way out of claim.

Happy to take your premium, but will do everything they can do get out of it.

They then sent me this, 'We'd love to hear your feedback'. Well I let them know, zero interest, zero compassion, just 'sent the full vet history'.

They ring me back a few days later and crap on about, 'yeah, we know the letter could be better'.

I talk to the girl about what happened with Thomas and that it was my fault, and not a pre-existing condition.

Sure, she says, I'll put some notes down on the claim.

I log into the portal 8 days later and see 'Not Covered' against the claim, no phone call, no nothing.

Here's my message to the company

---------------------------------
It has been 8 days since I've submitted Thomas' vet history with no reply.

In looking at the online portal I see a statement saying 'Not Covered'

Yet, you have not rung me.

Poor customer service.

The claim was for a lesion that I caused, by overbrushing Thomas

Yet, you say pre-existing???

This is NOT a skin condition, it was a puncture of Thomas' skin that I caused inadvertently.

How dare you say this is a pre-existing condition.

You happily take my fortnightly premium and something that is NOT a pre-existing condition you say that it is.

Product Reviews
Facebook

here we come.

This is my first claim, we have just picked up a second dog and I'm thinking, why the bloody hell should I insure my dog through you?

Very very very disappointed. I seriously am disgusted and angry.
Call Me and make this right!
-------------------

I truly am disgusted. They happily take my $35 a fortnight....

Let's wait for the 'Social guy/girl from the insurance company to say' ... Gee, sorry about this, let me help you... You know what?? You should have looked at the FACTS/TRUTH before you say, 'Not Covered'!!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

HI BouncyTigger, I am sorry you have had such a poor experience with us. This has been sent through to the resolutions team for review. We will contact you as soon as you we more details.

An update on this. Bow Wow was sent this message privately more than 2 years ago (without the review being published). They did respond to the post and apologised directly over the phone. The upd... read more »

1 of 10 pages