Filter By:

Insurance claim made

Lengthy process, policy now cancelled

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2018

We started our policy when we got our dog 5yrs ago as a private rehome rescue. We have had no issues at all untiul February when she blew her ACL and required major surgery to correct this. The process took forever because we didn't have any kind of receipt from when we got her but no one told me that the statement I made about the date we got her wasn't enough until my 3rd phone call. Thankfully I was able to track down her previous owner who wrote a letter confirming the date we had taken ownership of her but what would have stopped me from writing the exact same thing? We then heard nothing for another few weeks before I called to follow up again as was asked the same questions again but then received some money in the bank only a couple of days later. I still haven't heard anything about why her initial appointment when the ACL damaged was discovered hasn't been cancelled but we are so done that we have cancelled anyway. Never had so many issues with an insurance company.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Kel, I am sorry that you were given the run around. I would appreciate you e-mailing your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so we can investigate this as it is not the level of service we aspire to. Many thanks

Confused on claim.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2018

I put a claim in a couple of weeks ago regarding surgery my dog had. I took her into emergency as she had an abscess on her face. I thought she might of had a grass seed in her face. I put in a claim & all went well. Thank you. 3 days later I took her to my vet to check her out to see what was causing the abscess. My vet thought it might have been due to a fractured tooth so I had surgery done that day. I knew she wasn’t covered for this procedure so I didn’t put in a claim. Weeks later the abscess wasn’t going away, she was on antibiotics all that time. The abscess got bigger so I took her back to the vets. Another operation & Xrays & they found she had a bone stuck up her nose maybe from eating one I don’t know. I put a claim in for this & received an email claiming she wasn’t covered for the tooth fracture & nothing that was related to the tooth would be covered. I’m not sure whether they read my claim fully or not as the abscess was not related to the tooth as the vet first thought but the bone up her nose. The abscess has almost cleared now that the bone’s been removed. Will have to call them tomorrow now that they’re closed. Feeling annoyed this time around but they have been great with my previous claim.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Bert, apologies for the confusion here. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au and I can get our resolutions team to look at this ASAP. Many thanks

Brisbane

• 2 comments
Private message

'dogdy' when it comes renewal time

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

called up for cancelling the renewal. after checking with all your details, they will ask you to hold and transfer you to the other correct department even though you listened to all the crap on the voice msgs and selected "cancelling policy".

first time the phone just got cut off after holding for more than 5 min
second time , same thing...hold for more than 5 min just to find out the other team is not available. and they need to make a call back.
(they did say they will give an extra week before they direct debit from my card. but i refused)

--- at the end i did successfully cancel my renewal. But wont be insuring with them again for now ---
--- running the same policy on their GET A QUOTE comes out $200 cheaper than my renewal......that's how they look after the existing customer--

--- i am never a fan of AUTOMATIC renewal direct debit method....they should change it ---

anyway, i didn't make any claims with this company.
But the hike in the second year renewal put me off renewing.

I would urge others to shop around before signing up to Bowwowmeow.

Lucky i dont have to go through any claims...wonder what trouble i would have to go through.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi JLee, please can you send through your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. This seems incorrect and we would like to investigate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

BW06529661 is my policy. You can at least double check the call centre did put my request into action cancelling my policy.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks JLee, I have sent this through to the resolutions team (particularly due to the pricing on renewal). We will get back to you as soon as we have a update.

Bad.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

A note from the vet about my dog's collar causing him to scratch his neck is suddenly a "pre-existing condition" for dermodex mange on his tail. What a scam. I don't care if they are going to review it now. I had to waste 2 hours trying to sort this nonsense out over the phone.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Steph, sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au and I will ensure that this is looked at ASAP. Many thanks.

Insurance claim made

Slow in responding to queries

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

I found their services slow, and tardy in response to queries via email. They seemed to look for opportunities to avoid providing an immediate rebate, and providing an adequate reason.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Ian, thanks for the feedback. Apologies if you experienced delays. Normally the first claim does take longer as we require a full history or sometimes if there are missing documents , it also sl... read more »

Insurance claim made

The end result was good but not before I had to unfortunately have an ombudsman intervene

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2018

The outcome was good but I would not have received a payout if I didn't employ an ombudsman to help.
I cannot believe that "swallowing a foreign object ' can be listed under illness, therefore not covered in my first 30days.
the people I spoke with were lovely and agreed with me that this was not an illness,'but' because it was written in the policy that was what they had to go with!!!
Just because something is written doesn't mean its true!! I could write that this writing is red, I've written that - but that doesn't mean its true or right!!! as everyone can see it is black...
it was an extremely stressful process to go through!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Unhappy53, thank you for the feedback. Normally illness conditions have a 30 day waiting period, however, accident conditions do not. This clause is a bit grey at the moment and is causing conf... read more »

Thank you - as I don't want anyone else to have to fight this... as swallowing a foreign object is clearly not an illness

Childers

Don't communicate

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 27, 2018

They cancelled my policy without calling sent one letter very poor communication would not recommend to anyone. They never attempt to call if there are any problems with the policy

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Triton, I am sorry to hear this. This is what usually happens: If a payment is missed for whatever reason, we send a text message out to advise, if there is no mobile number on the policy, a le... read more »

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Disappointed with policy changes

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2018

We signed up 4 years ago with Bow Wow based on their cruciate policy, disappointing they have changed their policy payouts after signing up to a lesser payout value, when we received our annual payout for the cruciate surgery we weren't event paid out the full $2600 maximum amount. Not only did they change the limit of cruciate payouts (which are very common) they also lowered their annual consultation payouts to a maximum of $300. Knowing that once a pet has a condition you cannot change providers I think that Bow Wow changing their policy to existing customers who signed up based on original policy conditions is terrible customer service. When my husband called to discuss this, the operator was less than helpful as well.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Amelia. Thanks for your feedback, I understand where you are coming from. Sub limits were put in place in order to keep premiums under control as vet costs for treating them were being put throu... read more »

Victoria

• 1 comment

Cruciate Ligament limitations

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2018

Disappointed that limits on cruciate ligament are well below cost to operate, especially for dog breed in which cruciate issues are uncommon. Cheapest tplo surgery I could find is $3500 and underwriters aware that 2nd cruciate likely to go within 1yr of 1st cruciate so $0 cover for second. 80% of $2700 cruciate cover is well short and most tplo operations cost $4500. Public who take out pet insurance very unlikely to be aware what vet cost is for this op. Most pet insurance underwritten by same company but there are a couple who do cover cruciates more adequately so customers should shop around

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Unhappy customer. Thanks for your feedback. Sub limits were put in place in order to keep Premiums under control as vet costs for treating them were being put through at unacceptable levels (thi... read more »

Thanks for your reply and explanation however what I am most disappointed about is that the average person would have absolutely no idea how much surgery for cruciate ligaments cost and this is cer... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Unhappy customer, I understand where you are coming from. I have sent this through to our Underwriters to see if there is a better way to manage this.

Gold Coast

• 4 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 4 helpful votes

Not Happy

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 09, 2018

Only joined yesterday ,had email instructing me to sign in to portal..after about 6 tries gave up and phoned.-to some American that eventually told me I needed to download google chrome..Tried Mozilla and again called Mam every second word and asking how little "M' is so false eventually 2nd person told me to try tomorrow...still cannot sign in. Would hate this to be urgent ..Have requested to cancel policy..not sure why they have such a good rating by product review.
Today I phoned to officially cancel ,30 mins later I was told I needed to speak to other dept. Then I was told that dept was not available ,but due to my stress they agreed to cancel .Only after I listened to cancellation message which was highlighted by informing me if I joined another provider I would have to supply all medical !!!(this also took over 30 mins AND I was under cool of period.!!!And that confirmation and any funds would be sent to me ..STAY AWAY has almost turned me off all of them .I was not what they said ,but the way they said it that showed they were a robot !!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Wens, I am sincerely sorry you had a poor experience with us. We are looking into the portal issue you had with our IT team. I understand that you have cancelled, however, it would be appreciate... read more »

If you looked at what membership was cancelled today you will know

Call centre run around

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2017

I recently tried to cancel my policy as I just did not feel it was good value for money. On calling the 1800 number to cancel my policy I was told by the lady I was speaking to that she was unable to cancel my policy and I would be put through to the 'cancellation department'- surprise surprise, after over 10 minutes on hold I was told no one was available, and someone would call me back within the next 2 business day. Call back never happened, so I rang again- same silly run around with the - " I can not cancel this claim, need to transfer you- no one available etc" More time on hold. Then I was asked if I wanted to lower my insurance instead of cancel. When I said no I want to cancel, I got the same- deal back onto hold, no- one available. In the end when I told the operator that I wanted the policy cancelled today, and if he could not help me I wanted to be transferred immediately to someone who could or my next phone call would be to consumer affairs. Amazingly suddenly that very same operator was able to cancel my policy on the spot.
Poor customer service Bow Wow Meow and very poor business management.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi AliS, I am sorry to hear this. It is disappointing. For the purposes of training and service improvement, please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can inves... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

We haven’t had anyone contact us or give as a result about our claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

We are unsure on what is going on. We sent everything though. Was emailed saying they are looking at it and...nothing. Haven’t heard a thing and it’s been weeks. Starting to think it’s not worth it.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Bec, this is disappointing. My sincere apologies. Please e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number so that I can investigate and get back to you ASAP. Thanks

They sorted it out it was a error thanks

• 1 review
  • 1 question

Unhappy with service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2017

Every time we make a claim the old 'haven't reached excess' is used. You need to be on the ball keeping all documentation because I have been able to prove excess has been reached after initially being denied.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Kazza, our policies give you the option to elect your level of excess. If you choose to have a $0 excess, then we will pay out 80% for all eligible conditions from the start. If you elect to hav... read more »

Insurance claim made

Was happy until my last claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2017

Prior to my last claim I had never had any problems. The last claim took 2 months to process. I kept getting letters requesting information I had already provided (and received an email to say it had been received!). They asked for vet history which I provided, then got 4 separate letters asking for the same thing! I rang multiple times and every time I had to explain what had gone wrong. Then I was told "We need to do a check of all other local vets to see if your dog has been to see them". I didn't understand why that was necessary but said ok. I also asked them to phone or email me (provided my email and phone number while on the phone to the call centre multiple times) as the letters were taking over 2 weeks to get to me if something else was required. This did not happen. In the end I had to put a bad review on Facebook, and then FINALLY something was done. I shouldn't have to do that to get some service. It was a legitimate claim, I had provided all of the information, I don't understand why it took so long. It was finally paid out after all of this.
Now my dog has another claim coming since he hurt his paw pad and I am hoping I don't get the run around this time.
Very disappointing.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Sally, I apologise for the delay. This is definitely not the service we aim for. I am not sure what occurred with your claim as we normally pay eligible claims within 5 - 10 days of receiving al... read more »

Insurance claim made

Good policy, far too hard to claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Policy is good value.
Policy was easy to set up although it was set up many years ago.
Customer support was disappointing until finally getting in Contact with [name removed], who helped me. The claim process was far too hard and took a month.. this was my second claim. The first claim was brilliant but when we put the second claim in 3 weeks later, it was a nightmare. All of a sudden requiring documents that never existed..

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Sue, I am sorry to hear that customer support was disappointing Sue. This is not what we strive for. I am also not sure why your claim took this long but I would like to investigate. If OK, plea... read more »

Takes ages to claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2017

Took me more than a month to claim.
Takes ages for the email reply until calling them.
I was'nt even informed if the claim was received or not, until calling the support.
Bad experience for me.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Mands, this is very disappointing to hear. My apologies. I would like to investigate what occurred. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. Many thanks

Difficulty with first claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2017

I put in a claim and got a letter saying to was missing some paperwork. No problem, I let my vet know and they sent it through. I rang bow wow meow back and they said they didn't have it. So. I got the vet to resend. Again when I rang back they said they didn't get it. We checked the email and other details, all correct. I had to send and resend and call to confirm they got the paperwork 4 times before they got it. I looked online and other people seem to have similar problems with "missing pperwork" but it looks like it's only for the first claim only. For now I'm sticking with them in the hope it's a smooth process from here on in. But any more problems like the issue above and i will be cancelling my insurance very quickly.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Chris, thank you for your feedback. This is obviously concerning for us and I apologise. We are currently in the process of upgrading our systems so that this process will be streamlined and "wa... read more »

Lacking contact when required

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

My policy is great value and easy to set up. I have not been pleased with the claim process. When there was an issue with my paperwork I was not contacted for over 10 business days and followed up with the claim myself. I sent in further documentation as requested and received an email to confirm. After a further 10 business days after this I followed up by calling and my paper work had not even been processed. I was pleased the claim was approved and deposited in a speedy fashion. If this was not the case I would seek another insurance provider. Please call customers instead of waiting 10 business days before making contact via post. Thank you

Insurance claim made

Poor communication and no compassion

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2017

My dog went in for surgery for breathing issues and a problem for urinary tract infections. Going under once for both issues. Bow wow decided that they were classified as all separate operations even though she only went under once but charged for three operations therefore making it $500 excess for each. So charged $1500 excess! What a joke! would never recommend. I tried to contact them about it several times however I was handballed to numerous people who couldn't explain why. Didn't reimburse or care. Wouldn't recommend at all.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi julesc73, it sounded like there were 3 different conditions? The excess is a per condition excess and it looks like you have the highest allowable excess our policies offer. If you would like fu... read more »

Pet insurance feed back

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2017

Im still not in the position of commenting on your insurance completely yet as I know that my recent claims for my pets surgery has not been competed.
As far as the claims I have lodged so far are really not satisfactory and I certainly at this stage would NOT recommend your company.
Hopefully my claims will be completed soon as I have paid my insurance on time over the last sixteen months.
I'm not going to go to a public press forum but I do believe that the insurance ombudsman will be hearing from me soon if my claim isn't financially to my satisfaction.
The process I have so far gone through hasn't been straight forward nor have my questions been answered.
I have done everything both financially and verbally but your company hasn't reciprocated.
I had expectations of my insurance being finalised soon as the surgery was performed on my dog at the end of March and it is now mid May.
This isn't good enough!
S I Millhouse

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi S I Millhouse, thank you for your feedback and I am sorry this has taken so long. It is not the service we strive for. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number and I... read more »

I am , as requested sending my policy number for my dog's insurance policy for the at least tenth time. It is Policy Number BW 04138355. Hopefully this very expensive claim which as a pensioner I ... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Thanks S I Millhouse - our team will be in touch shortly.

1 of 3 pages