Filter By:

Insurance claim made

Mostly good, some issues with their claims processing

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

Had my first claims processed in recent months and found the process a bit tedious.

After requesting a vet history, I sent it through but forgot a couple of one off vet visits. They asked me to send through a full vet history and I remembered the couple of clinics I forgot.

After that, they requested a full vet history again (with no details as to what was missing). I sent an email and asked for what was missing, with no response. This happened multiple times, I emailed multiple times to ask for more information and was ignored. It was only after I threatened to contact the ACCC that I heard back and they processed the claim without any further information. In total those first claims took a couple of months to be paid.

I’ve now sent another claim for medication for the condition already claimed and they’ve deducted the excess again. So I’ve had to email to get it fixed as they have already charged the annual condition excess.

Overall, I’m half half about using Bow Wow Meow. Some things they do well (their portal and submitting new claims is great), they just seem to have some internal processing issues that mean you need to watch what they’re doing closely and correct them all the time via back and forth emails, which they may or may not respond to.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Jade R, thank you so much for this valuable feedback. You are not the only one who sometimes experiences this. As a result, we have very recently updated our process and hired more resources; No... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Jade, please can you also e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can see how your existing claim is going. Many thanks.

Could be Better

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2018

I have been with this Insurance Co for a couple of years now. My daughter researched companies and found Bowwow.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Irene. However, we would love to hear where we went wrong and how you think we could improve. Please can you send further details to insurance@bowwow.com.au. If there was a ... read more »

Portals

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

13 months
Thelr Needs to be more vet portals to take the drama out of getting vet bills fowarded to petsure.
A portal at Perth Veterinary Specialist would make life a lot better for pets and owners.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Hollie, I am glad to advise that our pet portal has gone through a complete overhaul. Claims are now very streamlined and should go through smoothly with no need to follow up.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Good outcome but process could be streamlined

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

My dog was bitten and needed emergency surgery which I paid for in full at the time. Having been insured for approx 8 months I then completed a claim on-line after the follow up consultations (in order to submit a complete claim). That process was straightforward but when nothing had happened after 10 days I followed up. One of my receipts didn't fully show I had paid so Bow Wow "had sent me a letter" saying I needed to resubmit! As the process was fully on-line this seems simply a delay that didn't need to be included in the process - an email with receipt sorted it but better communication from Bow Wow would improve the process especially in todays world!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Gary B, thank you for the review and feedback. We completely agree with you and we are currently working on this.

Alice Springs

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Hasn't been a good experience

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

I feel the delay tactics used to hold back making the payments is inexcusable. It was only because I rang to ask how long before my claim would be finalised I heard there was a delay in paying me my claim. I was told I had not included enough background history for this claim when in fact I had provided it on 2 previous occasions for the dates in question. This has happened each time I make a claim and I find it very frustrating especially when one of the dates asked you had previously paid a claim in that period so you would have had all the vet history. 4 weeks is too long for a claim to be processed and paid when all documents are sent within 2 days of an operation.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Tracie, I am sorry to hear about this. I agree that this is too long. We do pay 85% to 95% of claims within 5-10 days of receipt of all documents . However, I am not sure why we could not find y... read more »

Thanks for your reply Bow Wow Meow I will try that next time...hopefully not for a while! :)

Berriedale

Improved service

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2018

Fastest response and repayment I've had with Bow Wow Meow. And for the first time, no hassles re my claim

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Appreciate the review. Thanks Cheryle.

Good but missleading

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2018

I wouldn't be without pet insurance, however recently I have had to claim for my dog having a cruciate ligament surgery. What they don't tell you is there is limits to certain procedures per year. I was also not covered for animal physio when my dog needed extra rehab because she wasn't recovering as well as she should. Rehab is part of the operation and should be covered. Other than that I am very happy, the claim process is easy and they pay quickly.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thank you for the feedback Sue. I do understand where you are coming from, however, the above limits are documented on your certificate of insurance and the physio exclusion is covered under Sectio... read more »

Noosa

Be careful of the 23.59pm start time

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2018

Be aware that whatever date your policy starts, it actually doesn't start until 23.59pm of that day. I waited 30 days and then my lab had a small op. I thought it was day 31, but because the policy doesn't start until 23.59pm it wasn't day 31 until 23.59pm and of course he had his op in the day not at midnight, so I couldn't claim. Now if he ever gets a histiocytoma again it won't be covered. I WISHED I'd waited another day or two.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Nicky, I am sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can see investigate. Many thanks

As a response to my review you can see that Bow Wow asked me to re-email them so they could investigate. So I did. Their response is that my pup had his operation before 23.59pm that day - exactly ... read more »

Redlands Brisbane

Okay company

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2018

Relatively easy to set up . Customer service often difficult due to language barrier . Claims often take a long time to be processed . I would like to see a system where claims are made at the vet clinic like the Hicaps system used in human health care insurance .

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Peter, thanks for the feedback. As discussed in the previous review, we are upgrading the portal in the second half of the year which should improve the claim experience further and speed up processing times.

Insurance claim made

Good outcome but could have been easier

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

Found the process of making a claim slightly tedious, was asked for vet history multiple times but not specifically what was needed. Email communication instead of letters would be easier. Staff were friendly but could not answer questions. I was told 2 different things on the same day. Overall happy with the experience it was just dragged out. Policy is great value and very easy to set up. Would recommend to others.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks Ceeks. We are working on making it easier. The claim portal is going to be upgraded in the second half of the year so I am sure this will make a big difference.

Insurance claim made

So glad we chose pet insurance

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

Satisfied with everything other than not being able too see the process my claim is in, online and being able to see the ‘invoices which can take a while to come in the post.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Natasha. We are actually in the process of upgrading our claim portal in the second half of the year. It will be much easier to track once launched.

Claim rejected

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

My policy etc was not emailed or mailed to me, so had to chase it up. My first claim was slightly problematic as I needed to supply a medical assessment of my pup, which wasn’t explained. My last claim was rejected as your assessment team stated that it was due to a pre existing condition, which was incorrect. It was accidental ingestion of water causing fluid in the lungs. Their assessment was way off and necessitated phone calls, additional information from the emergency vet to support my claim. There were also errors in your letter. On revision the claim was accepted however I wasn’t happy with the letter from your assessment team stating that I should have provided the additional information. You were given all documents from the emergency vet that I was given and the error was yours. I shouldn’t have to argue my case when your staff didn’t assess correctly. All sorted now though.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Karen, this sounds like it was a very frustrating process for you. My sincere apologies for this. It is not the level of service we strive for. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with... read more »

Perth

• 3 helpful votes

Slow but steady.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

We decided to go with Bow Wow Meow based on a relatives review that they were very easy to deal with and very fast to process claims. The policy itself was very easy to setup. We have processed one claim and were disappointed with how long it took to process. The delay was due to a particular pathology result missing from the documentation, but no one bothered to contact me to tell me this was missing or required, I only found out when I used my lunch break to call and chase up the claim myself. This is the only complaint we have, if the customer service and contact improved then there really would be no complaints. It would also be handy if we received something to say why we got back what portion we got back, as we weren't sure how they came to the figure we had refunded.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Sharni, I am sorry to hear about these delays and appreciate the feedback. We are working on improving our systems so that these delays will not happen and communication will be more seamless. I... read more »

Perth

Communication

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2018

We have never used Pet insurance before however decided to take it out due to an incident that cost us a lot of money.
The policy was easy to setup online & the cost seemed quite good compared to other policies. However, enquiry via email on how to add another pet recently & no response so will need to contact them again.
We had to make a claim a few months after we took out the policy & there seemed to be quite a slow process. Receiving multiple letters in the mail requesting the same info I’d already had my vet send. I felt this could have been done earlier & quicker via phone.
I eventually rang the helpline to find out when this would decline to which I strongly disagreed with decision so it to take it review. Our claim was eventually paid out to our satisfaction however this first claim experience left a rather unsavory taste in our mouths.
I must admit though once the claim was reviewed the payment went through very quickly. However if I had just accepted their first assessment & not taken it upon myself to question their conclusion then the claim would not have been paid.
I feel the communication lines could be better once you make a claim, that said it was over the Christmas period so I understand that could have contributed to time frame.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Louanne4, thanks for the feedback. I am sorry about the poor communication and resultant delays. The first claim is always the hardest as we need to gather the full vet history. Having said that... read more »

Thank you for your response, appreciate it

Insurance claim made

its a great fund have had two dogs now with bow wow (however)

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

good value easy to set up, wanted to insure older dog however he was too old making it costly to change to Bow wow. The customer service has been very supportive. First claim for previous dog had no problems very quick to settle, slight problem with the second claim (different dog) when provided with further information the rebate took approx. 6 weeks.

Bundy cat

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2017

This time was better than a previous claim. I would like to be able to claim for his annual injections and routine check each year. I am happy to know that he is insured as then he can have the best of care

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for sharing Bundy. We are happy this went better than your last claim.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Disappointed with staff not listening to the issue, but a successful claim in the end.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

After submitting a claim for my dog, who was hit by a car, I was told this was a "pre-existing condition" and not eligible for a claim. When I called to query why the claim was rejected, the person assisting couldn't understand that being hit bit a car couldn't possibly be a pre-existing condition. It became apparent that part of the vet history had not come through. Once this was sent by the vet, the claim did go through. Disappointing that the person in the call centre couldn't understand the issue.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi N Williams, this is disappointing.... Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that this can be investigated. We are committed to training all staff and it looks like we fell short in this example. My apologies.

Perth, WA

• 2 helpful votes

Undecided

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Feel the policy is OK value but I don't rave about it.
Was easy to set up.
Think PDS is deliberately unclear. For example it is not instantly clear if your dog is covered for snake bite even if you have emergency cover. The claims process (calculations) is not clearly spelt out and could be easily displayed on the website for each policy type. Have made three claims in two years. Quickly processed but one was processed wrong (in favour of Bow wow) and it took quite some time for the person at Bow Wow to recognize the error and then they blamed the policy holder when it was their calculation error.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Beazley77, thanks for the feedback. I am sorry you had a claim that was processed incorrectly. Glad it was corrected though. Regarding snake bites; This is definitely covered in our policies (A... read more »

Brisbane

Insurance claim made

Okay but could be better

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

The claims process and handling with BWM is very good - I was responded to quickly. The issue I have applies to BWM and most pet insurers who treat physiotherapy as 'alternative therapy' and don't cover it. This is ridiculous in 2017 when physio is used to treat all manner of ailments, including post operative recovery. Get with the program! There is nothing 'alternative' about physiotherapy.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Sue. I will send this through to management level.

I think people would be prepared to pay a little more to have this included. I appreciate you following up.

Not so happy

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Having made the second claim in the year for vaccinations etc, I am finding it very frustrating that they do not email or send letters directly to you if there are any issues.
I called them to find out what is happening with the claim only to be told that they are not processing the claim until I provide additional information, this would have been easily resolved if I had been contact directly.
Not sure if this is the practice of most pet insurance companies, but will be taking our insurance elsewhere when our renewal is due next week.
Far easier claim for humans...

1 of 3 pages

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.

Jenny asked on Oct 13, 2018

Answer this

Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.

Hi do your policy cover blocked gland? consult at a vet where the vet manually expresses and may have to do this regularly thanks Gary

Gary asked on Sep 12, 2018

Answer this

Hi Gary, if the glands are being routinely expressed or expressed as a preventative procedure or Elective Treatment by a vet or nurse, this will not be covered. This exclusion is listed under ‘Day to Day’ care in section 6 of the PDS. “preventative procedures and treatment (including, but not limited to, vaccinations, routine gland expression, flea/tick/worm control)”, as well as preventable procedures and Elective Treatments.
In cases where the pet requires medical treatment for the gland due to impaction, infection, abscess or rupture, we may cover the Treatment under Illness Cover provided the Condition is not Pre-existing.

Never made a claim until our beloved dog Henry died aged 9. Phoned Bow Wow Meow who said no need to put extra details in only the most recent treatment that we are making our claim for. Followed all the online prompts only to have a request for ALL vet treatment during his lifetime, pathology reports and X ray results. How come other owners have their claims paid out immediately? Very disappointed!

Henry asked on Aug 21, 2018

Answer this

Hi Henry, I am sorry you are disappointed - my apologies. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and sort out for you. Thanks

See all 134 questions about Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance