Filter By:

Good but missleading

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2018

I wouldn't be without pet insurance, however recently I have had to claim for my dog having a cruciate ligament surgery. What they don't tell you is there is limits to certain procedures per year. I was also not covered for animal physio when my dog needed extra rehab because she wasn't recovering as well as she should. Rehab is part of the operation and should be covered. Other than that I am very happy, the claim process is easy and they pay quickly.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thank you for the feedback Sue. I do understand where you are coming from, however, the above limits are documented on your certificate of insurance and the physio exclusion is covered under Sectio... read more »

Noosa

Be careful of the 23.59pm start time

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2018

Be aware that whatever date your policy starts, it actually doesn't start until 23.59pm of that day. I waited 30 days and then my lab had a small op. I thought it was day 31, but because the policy doesn't start until 23.59pm it wasn't day 31 until 23.59pm and of course he had his op in the day not at midnight, so I couldn't claim. Now if he ever gets a histiocytoma again it won't be covered. I WISHED I'd waited another day or two.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Nicky, I am sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can see investigate. Many thanks

As a response to my review you can see that Bow Wow asked me to re-email them so they could investigate. So I did. Their response is that my pup had his operation before 23.59pm that day - exactly ... read more »

Redlands Brisbane

Okay company

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2018

Relatively easy to set up . Customer service often difficult due to language barrier . Claims often take a long time to be processed . I would like to see a system where claims are made at the vet clinic like the Hicaps system used in human health care insurance .

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Peter, thanks for the feedback. As discussed in the previous review, we are upgrading the portal in the second half of the year which should improve the claim experience further and speed up processing times.

Insurance claim made

Good outcome but could have been easier

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

Found the process of making a claim slightly tedious, was asked for vet history multiple times but not specifically what was needed. Email communication instead of letters would be easier. Staff were friendly but could not answer questions. I was told 2 different things on the same day. Overall happy with the experience it was just dragged out. Policy is great value and very easy to set up. Would recommend to others.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks Ceeks. We are working on making it easier. The claim portal is going to be upgraded in the second half of the year so I am sure this will make a big difference.

Insurance claim made

So glad we chose pet insurance

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

Satisfied with everything other than not being able too see the process my claim is in, online and being able to see the ‘invoices which can take a while to come in the post.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Natasha. We are actually in the process of upgrading our claim portal in the second half of the year. It will be much easier to track once launched.

Claim rejected

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

My policy etc was not emailed or mailed to me, so had to chase it up. My first claim was slightly problematic as I needed to supply a medical assessment of my pup, which wasn’t explained. My last claim was rejected as your assessment team stated that it was due to a pre existing condition, which was incorrect. It was accidental ingestion of water causing fluid in the lungs. Their assessment was way off and necessitated phone calls, additional information from the emergency vet to support my claim. There were also errors in your letter. On revision the claim was accepted however I wasn’t happy with the letter from your assessment team stating that I should have provided the additional information. You were given all documents from the emergency vet that I was given and the error was yours. I shouldn’t have to argue my case when your staff didn’t assess correctly. All sorted now though.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Karen, this sounds like it was a very frustrating process for you. My sincere apologies for this. It is not the level of service we strive for. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with... read more »

Perth

Slow but steady.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

We decided to go with Bow Wow Meow based on a relatives review that they were very easy to deal with and very fast to process claims. The policy itself was very easy to setup. We have processed one claim and were disappointed with how long it took to process. The delay was due to a particular pathology result missing from the documentation, but no one bothered to contact me to tell me this was missing or required, I only found out when I used my lunch break to call and chase up the claim myself. This is the only complaint we have, if the customer service and contact improved then there really would be no complaints. It would also be handy if we received something to say why we got back what portion we got back, as we weren't sure how they came to the figure we had refunded.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Sharni, I am sorry to hear about these delays and appreciate the feedback. We are working on improving our systems so that these delays will not happen and communication will be more seamless. I... read more »

Perth

Communication

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2018

We have never used Pet insurance before however decided to take it out due to an incident that cost us a lot of money.
The policy was easy to setup online & the cost seemed quite good compared to other policies. However, enquiry via email on how to add another pet recently & no response so will need to contact them again.
We had to make a claim a few months after we took out the policy & there seemed to be quite a slow process. Receiving multiple letters in the mail requesting the same info I’d already had my vet send. I felt this could have been done earlier & quicker via phone.
I eventually rang the helpline to find out when this would decline to which I strongly disagreed with decision so it to take it review. Our claim was eventually paid out to our satisfaction however this first claim experience left a rather unsavory taste in our mouths.
I must admit though once the claim was reviewed the payment went through very quickly. However if I had just accepted their first assessment & not taken it upon myself to question their conclusion then the claim would not have been paid.
I feel the communication lines could be better once you make a claim, that said it was over the Christmas period so I understand that could have contributed to time frame.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Louanne4, thanks for the feedback. I am sorry about the poor communication and resultant delays. The first claim is always the hardest as we need to gather the full vet history. Having said that... read more »

Thank you for your response, appreciate it

Insurance claim made

its a great fund have had two dogs now with bow wow (however)

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2018

good value easy to set up, wanted to insure older dog however he was too old making it costly to change to Bow wow. The customer service has been very supportive. First claim for previous dog had no problems very quick to settle, slight problem with the second claim (different dog) when provided with further information the rebate took approx. 6 weeks.

Bundy cat

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2017

This time was better than a previous claim. I would like to be able to claim for his annual injections and routine check each year. I am happy to know that he is insured as then he can have the best of care

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for sharing Bundy. We are happy this went better than your last claim.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Disappointed with staff not listening to the issue, but a successful claim in the end.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

After submitting a claim for my dog, who was hit by a car, I was told this was a "pre-existing condition" and not eligible for a claim. When I called to query why the claim was rejected, the person assisting couldn't understand that being hit bit a car couldn't possibly be a pre-existing condition. It became apparent that part of the vet history had not come through. Once this was sent by the vet, the claim did go through. Disappointing that the person in the call centre couldn't understand the issue.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi N Williams, this is disappointing.... Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that this can be investigated. We are committed to training all staff and it looks like we fell short in this example. My apologies.

Perth, WA

• 2 helpful votes

Undecided

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Feel the policy is OK value but I don't rave about it.
Was easy to set up.
Think PDS is deliberately unclear. For example it is not instantly clear if your dog is covered for snake bite even if you have emergency cover. The claims process (calculations) is not clearly spelt out and could be easily displayed on the website for each policy type. Have made three claims in two years. Quickly processed but one was processed wrong (in favour of Bow wow) and it took quite some time for the person at Bow Wow to recognize the error and then they blamed the policy holder when it was their calculation error.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Beazley77, thanks for the feedback. I am sorry you had a claim that was processed incorrectly. Glad it was corrected though. Regarding snake bites; This is definitely covered in our policies (A... read more »

Brisbane

Insurance claim made

Okay but could be better

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

The claims process and handling with BWM is very good - I was responded to quickly. The issue I have applies to BWM and most pet insurers who treat physiotherapy as 'alternative therapy' and don't cover it. This is ridiculous in 2017 when physio is used to treat all manner of ailments, including post operative recovery. Get with the program! There is nothing 'alternative' about physiotherapy.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Sue. I will send this through to management level.

I think people would be prepared to pay a little more to have this included. I appreciate you following up.

Not so happy

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Having made the second claim in the year for vaccinations etc, I am finding it very frustrating that they do not email or send letters directly to you if there are any issues.
I called them to find out what is happening with the claim only to be told that they are not processing the claim until I provide additional information, this would have been easily resolved if I had been contact directly.
Not sure if this is the practice of most pet insurance companies, but will be taking our insurance elsewhere when our renewal is due next week.
Far easier claim for humans...

Insurance claim made

Great process claim time, but only if you use the online portal system.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

Policy price is competitive and easy to setup multiple initial claims were submitted but not actioned despite numerous calls. Staff were however very helpful but initial claims were heavily delayed due to poor communication. I have since used the online portal which is far more efficient and processing time for claims is as stated. I had no other issues. Do not use the fax or email option.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the review Matty. I am glad the online claims worked well. Apologies for previous delays,

Have nothing to compare it to!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2017

I was happy with the policy when it was set up 4 years ago, but not happy with the yearly increases - premiums have almost doubled in the 4 years.
I have 2 dogs, one is never sick, the other seems to always have something wrong. The claims are processed quickly, and the amounts can be quite large. One operation this year being about $5000 of which we received our 80% rebate. There were ongoing expenses after the operation and these were paid promptly.

Ashburton, Victoria

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Website forms are awkward and buggy

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2017

After reading widespread positive reviews, I signed up and am already disappointed with the functionality of their website. Attempting to register for the online portal returns errors, and wipes all the details I typed in! Called for support and was transferred to another area, call cut off, now their call centre is closed...
Please fix the entry of dates on your application forms which is unnecessarily difficult.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi formidable_humanoid's, I am sorry to hear this. We are currently in the process of making the portal more user friendly. Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au and I will ge... read more »

Insurance claim made

Extremely slow to pay claim

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2017

Despite a pre-authorisation agreement well prior to my dog's orthopaedic surgery (total hip replacement) on 5 May 2017, the payment of the claim which was lodged immediately after the surgery date took three and a half weeks to come through on 29 May 2017. Why such a delay?! No explanation given.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Juanita, this is disappointing. Claims are normally paid with 5-10 days of receipt of all requested documentation. I would be happy to look into this for you (please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwwow.com.au).

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Average

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

I feel it is too expensive, but all insurance is too pricey considering the possible number of people that actually claim. I was unhappy that my premium went up quite substantially after i made a claim. The customer support was OK, after I, and the vets, had to provide the same information 4 times before the claim was processed.

Customer service is poor

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

I have been a customer with Bow Wow for about 18 months and had not claimed. My cat got FLUTD and was admitted to the vet twice. The first incident occurred close to Easter and therefore I did not receive a letter of request form the company for about 15 days. The letter was requesting all vet records which is standard however my cat was adopted and then subsequently broke his leg so I had a few vets to approach and records to obtain and it took about 5 . I sent through the records and then contacted about a week later to find out that my email had not been attached to the claim. The person on the phone managed to do this however I then called approximately 5 days later to make sure the claim was progressing only to find out they could not open the files - at this stage I had no phone contact or contact via email (baring in mind I had submitted all correspondence electronically) to rectify this issue .If I had not called I am not really sure what would have happened. I then resent the files using a different format and called to ensure that the email was attached to my claims. I was then told that the timing would essentially be reset so that the claim would not be processed for a further 10 days - I was at 30 odd days at this point. I understand the need for records but the lack of follow up I found very poor customer service, the phone staff also seemed incredibly unsure and in the end it took over 30 days for me to get any money back. As a person who works in a regulatory space in customer service I just don't think this is good enough.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Rebecca, thank you for this feedback. This is definitely not good enough and not the service we strive for. My apologies for all these delays. We are working on an improved claim portal where no... read more »

1 of 3 pages