Filter By:

Good and Bad

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

My 6 year old golden retriever suddenly stopped eating, and got worse over 2 weeks. Initially, vets carried out tests, tried medication and changing food. This bill was over $700 and we got $514 back. I was very happy with this and the process was easy, quick and efficient.

However, sadly my dogs sickness was terminal cancer and we lost him last week. I am now in the process of claiming for more diagnostics and his euthanasia. I was not happy to be contacted for this claim, asking for a full vet history for Dave since 2014. My logical mind (and someone who was worked in claiming before) would imagine that when other claims have been lodged prior, that the vet history that was previously given would be recorded against my policy so a policyholder does not have to give it every time a claim is lodged, wasting the time in the policy holder obtaining their payout. Vet history does not change. Yes - if there has been a new vet since the last claim, of course that would need to be updated.
It would have been easy and logical to see that my claim was 2 weeks prior, for the same dog, at the same vet, so please, in a very trying time, do not ask for information you readily have at your disposal.

That is my only grievance and I will continue to insure with bow wow should we get another dog.

Good Pet Insurance is Bow Wow Meow

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

Good payout from claim in September 2018. Thought the amount of documentation was excessive but we were able to comply with same

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks David. The first claims require all the vet history. However, if you need to claim again, it will be easier as we have all the detail on file now.

Redlands

Private message

Happy with outcome

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

I have been with Bow wow meow for 12 months. I changed from Pet Plan after 7 years as a new underwriter had commence and my premiums with them almost doubled ! I had acquired a new puppy and had a two year old Dogue De Bordeaux and I was able to get both of them insured for less than one with petplan ! The only problem was that due to some pre existing conditions with my Dogue I was unable to get cover for some conditions such as skin, which is a common ailment in Mastiffs. Te processing of the claim was speedy ( much quicker than Petplan) and there were no discrepancies. I would highly recommend Bow wow meow to anyone but particulay with new Puppies or kittens.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lee, thank you for the review. Glad we could assist quickly with the claim.

Insurance claim made

So glad I took out pet insurance.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2018

I’ve been a member with Bow Wow Meow for around 8 months. I have an American Staffy and she plays rough (as they do) So I feel a lot more at ease now that if she injures herself I will have help with any bills that may arise.
She had a problem recently with constipation and spent two nights at the vets and had a minor procedure done. I was impressed with the cover Bow Wow Meow provided for that bill. I only wish I had taken the cover out earlier as she has a lot of allergies and skin problems which are not covered by the policy as they are considered prior conditions.
Overall I am pleased with the service I have received from this company and the monthly fee, I think, is quite reasonable.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Reese, appreciate the review and glad we could assist.

Insurance claim made

First part of a difficult journey

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I have been with the company for around 3 years. I hadn't really had to claim before but my dog all of a sudden was diagnosed with a very aggressive bone cancer. He had to have his leg amputated within around a week or two of the diagnosis and I think I'm still in shock. So far Bow Wow have quickly paid for all his initial x-rays and tests at his local vet and provided a pre-approval for surgery and chemo with the specialist. I appreciated the assistance from the Bow Wow customer service representative that I was crying on the phone to..he did well. I expect that my surgery claim will go as smoothly as the first claim, as they did provide a pre-approval which gave me the peace of mind I needed to go ahead with confidence. I never, ever expected to need my insurance when I took it out. But there you go. So amazingly glad I did now.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jacqui, thank you for the review. I am glad we can provide peace of mind. We wish your dog a speedy recovery following the surgery.

Large claim

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I have my three hounds insured with Bow Wow Meow. I have had them insured there for 8 + years.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Insurance claim made

Really good. Had initial back and forth to get to a great result

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I’ve been with Bow Wow for almost a year and only made the one claim. I had initial issues with my vet getting the required information to Bow Wow and some back and forth between Bow Wow, myself and the vet, but once all information was provided Bow Wow was great and really timely. Thank you!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the review Courtney. The first claim is usually the hardest as we require a full vet history. It should be easier if the need arises again. Glad it was sorted in the end though.

Insurance claim made

Good cover and good service with claims

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I have had my two dogs with bow wow for approximately two years. Recently I required to make 2 claims relating to the same issue with one of my dogs. The first claim was settled in a reasonable time with the vet emailing the claim directly to bow wow. However, the next part of the treatment claim had in my view an unreasonable delay in settlement. The claim was again sent directly as before then a request was made for me to provide a receipt that I had paid and yet the vet had processed the claim the same way. The request was made by post instead of email which caused unnecessary delay. This was a little disappointing and caused a delay in reimbursement of the claim.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Adrian, thanks for the review and for the feedback. We understand the delays and we are currently working on making communication more streamlined and electronic.

That would be great

Great

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

Just more info on the claim would be good. I did not recieve any information on what is being paid out etc. However speed was great.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am glad to say that our new claim portal (which is actually being launched this month) is going to detail all that for you. Thanks for the review Patrick.

Happy with Bow Wow

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I recommend Bow Wow to all my family and friends friends. Bow wow have always processed my claims quickly and fairly. I have had a lot of veterinary expenses over the course of my dog's life and I don't know how I ever would have afforded his medical costs without bow wow insurance. My only complaint would be the friendly staff I used to speak to on the telephone have been replaced by others who cannot speak English especially well and I've had communication breakdowns and misunderstandings recently in regards to my policy.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Monique, thank you for the review and the feedback. I will pass this on to management (regarding the call centre staff).

Essential with 3 dogs

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2018

Yes having 3 dogs and 1 cat unfortunately i have needed to use it a bit lately. Sometimes the money takes a while but i think this because you dont have all the notes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the review Shaz

My policy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2018

We have a lovely family pet, who has had a lot of insurance claims. One communication from the vets and Bow Bow meow happen, I had no trouble in payments

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Great, thanks for sharing Vic

Insurance claim made

Good pet insurance, just make sure you prepare your claim properly for efficient service.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2018

Customer service is ok, they mostly aren't English speakers so things get lost in translation....claims are processed quickly if you have all the information sent straight away. I missed a few bits of paperwork from my vet and they would write letters to inform me of this each time, so it delayed the claims by weeks. As long as you're prepared properly and haven't missed anything it's pretty good. And 80 percent back is fantastic.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Bec S. We are aware of these issues and we are in the process of upgrading our systems.

Best investment ever,

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

So far the policy is good value. Depending on the price increase we might have to change, the policy was really interesting at the start but is getting a bit pricy.
Easy to set up appart for the online claim which took almost a year to work
Good customer support

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Great for Frenchies

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

Yes it was ok but the real value lies in the claims. The initial communication when I queried clarity in what is/what isn’t covered, was a little officious (ie read the PDS), when all I wanted was a simple Yes or No. But once we were over that hurdle, the claiming process is easy and simple. Would be nice to have a history of Claims on the site rather than a paper remittance though. Thank you

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks Vera. Our new claim portal soon to be launched will do a better job of breaking down the claim history. We are hoping this will be up and running by September.

Fremantle

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Very good insurance

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2018

Pet insurance is a must, you may not think that when they are young, but as they get older it becomes more and more evident. Our little pouch recently had cruciate ligament surgery and Bow Wow paid to the limit that was stipulated in the contract. In hindsight it would be nice to know how much that procedure costs, as this limit doesn't quite cover it. A little annoyed to be asked for the vet history for a particular period for the third time, but once that was resolved, payment was prompt.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Michael, thank you for the review. I am not sure why you were asked for the vet history again - my apologies, that should not have happened. Glad we were able to assist with the cruciate ligamen... read more »

A Claim I Never Wanted to Make

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

All of the above were fine, making the claim is probably as simple as it can be. Claim was settled quickly however there were two vet practices involved and in the first instance only one was paid, I decided to query as it wasn't as much as we hoped, customer service was great sorted out the problem efficiently and the rest of money in the account the next day, it would have been five stars but I would still recommend but I really hope I don't have to make a claim again!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Stefan, thanks for the review. Glad it was settled quickly.

Insurance claim made

great customer service but bad at losing paperwork

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2018

In general the company is great but my last claim was for me big and i used bill money to pay vet bills. The paperwork from vet had to be sent 4 times from vet then once by me to a particular lady before the claim went thru. 2 weeks it took any me fielding overdue bills. So you need to sort that out. Otherwise your people are lovely any payment amounts are great. Thanks

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback and review Anne. Yes, we are definitely aware of some cracks in the system. Occasionally this does occur and we apologise. We are launching our new claim portal in September... read more »

Insurance claim made

One of the better pet insurances.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

One of the fairest polices for pet insurance and I do feel good value for money. Easy to arrange friendly & helpful staff. Easy to access help online or by a phone call. I would not be without pet insurance.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

So glad we were able to assist Jacquie. Thanks for sharing.

not a bad company!

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2018

Policy expense seems to be in line with other insurance companies if not slightly cheaper. It was easy to set up and overall my claims have been handled well in the last few years. My only suggestion would be to use email rather than sending all correspondence in the post. This would speed up the claims process as we all know how slow Australia post is these days! Also when requesting further documents an explanation as to why they are required would be best.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Netty, thank you for the review and constructive feedback. I do agree with all your points. We are in the process of updating our claims portal and this should take care of the points as suggested by you.

1 of 14 pages

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.

Jenny asked on Oct 13, 2018

Answer this

Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.

Hi do your policy cover blocked gland? consult at a vet where the vet manually expresses and may have to do this regularly thanks Gary

Gary asked on Sep 12, 2018

Answer this

Hi Gary, if the glands are being routinely expressed or expressed as a preventative procedure or Elective Treatment by a vet or nurse, this will not be covered. This exclusion is listed under ‘Day to Day’ care in section 6 of the PDS. “preventative procedures and treatment (including, but not limited to, vaccinations, routine gland expression, flea/tick/worm control)”, as well as preventable procedures and Elective Treatments.
In cases where the pet requires medical treatment for the gland due to impaction, infection, abscess or rupture, we may cover the Treatment under Illness Cover provided the Condition is not Pre-existing.

Never made a claim until our beloved dog Henry died aged 9. Phoned Bow Wow Meow who said no need to put extra details in only the most recent treatment that we are making our claim for. Followed all the online prompts only to have a request for ALL vet treatment during his lifetime, pathology reports and X ray results. How come other owners have their claims paid out immediately? Very disappointed!

Henry asked on Aug 21, 2018

Answer this

Hi Henry, I am sorry you are disappointed - my apologies. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and sort out for you. Thanks

See all 134 questions about Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance