Filter By:

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Took time but all good in the end

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2019

Been with BWM for 4 years. This claim was quite extensive for a bad injury. Insurers took their time to go over all the details (which is understandable) but I was very satisfied with the service overall. Happy to keep my three animals insured with BWM

Insurance claim made

Be sure you fully understand how the excess works. Claims processed promptly.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2019

I have been with BWM Pet Insurance for 1 year and have made 2 previous claims for an eye issue but as the total of the two bills were not greater than the excess we received no refund, (no problem with that). We are now almost at the end of our 12 month policy. Unfortunately our dog needed to have a Laparotomy Operation for a bowel blockage. Making claims is extremely easy and I felt they were processed very promptly with no hesitation. I am really just disappointed with myself for not fully understanding that there is a seperate excess for each issue not just an annual excess like for humans. I am not sure how I missed this information prior to paying my premium, its possibly lost in amongst the brain numbing jargon you have to read through. May be it needs to be made more clear for the average person. So needless to say I am very confused as to whether it is worth having pet insurance unless my dog is having major surgery every year as I can not see that I would be receiving many reimbursements. My previous 2 dogs that I owned at seperate times lived for 16 years each. Their vet bills consisted of their normal vaccinations which you are not covered for anyway and of course when the time came that they had to be euthanised. I had no insurance for either of them so for 32 years I wouldn't of made a claim yet would of been paying my premium for nothing. Very unsure, to renew or not......?

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Vicky, thanks for your feedback, I do understand where you are coming from. Like all insurances, it only becomes worthwhile if something happens and you need to find a large amount of funds. Pet... read more »

Pays for itself

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2019

I've been a member since September 2018, since then I've made two claims in regards to skin issues for my puppy. I got 80% back on both times, which is great! However the part that we found frustrating is the first claim was VERY drawn out (took just over a month), Bow Wow Meow needed to get our puppy's full vet history (which was no issue) however between them and the clinic they kept saying they were awaiting further information while the clinic said they'd sent the info through. The positive is that the staff at Bow Wow Meow were easy to talk to and were helpful in trying to follow our claim up. The second claim was far less hassle and was processed in a few days. As the owner of a young pet, pet insurance is already paying for itself!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Nicole. We noticed that many of our policy holders felt the same way with their first claim which is why we put a team together a team to now manage the process of collectin... read more »

Easy claiming process

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2019

I have made several claims in the past 18 months. The online process is simple with some recent additions which now give me access to more claims information. I am so far very satisfied with bow wow meow.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Thanks for the review Karen. Good to hear that it is easy to process your claim.

Professional service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2019

Have been with them 4 years and had several claims dealt with promptly. I like that there is a portal for checking on claims and that you can upload receipts etc easily.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Thanks for sharing Louise S

Insurance claim made

Very helpful when things got rough

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 09, 2019

I have been with Bow Wow Meow insurance for about 4 years. I was able to easily make and receive my claim to assist with my dog's cancer treatment payments. Unfortunately, the treatments were unsuccessful in the end but I was able to afford his cremation.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

So sorry to hear that the cancer treatments were unsuccessful Claire. It is always hard losing our furry friends. Glad we could help out with the bills.

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Quick response but could benefit from human touch

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

About 6 months. Unfortunately I needed to claim after my dog required surgery, then euthanasia following a dingo attack. The company responded to my claim quickly and the process was straightforward. Perhaps it's asking too much of an insurance company, but if the pet has died in relation to the claim, some acknowledgement would be comforting for the owner.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Thanks for the feedback Cathy. I am so sorry to hear that your dog had to be euthanised and apologise for you not receiving this message earlier as we do have a process where we send you a message ... read more »

Melbourne

• 1 helpful vote

Satisfied customer

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

Four years. I've made numerous claims for an accident-prone dog and one for his less accident-prone companion, and aside from a couple of minor administrative glitches have had no problems with Bow Wow Meow. From my experience so far, I recommend the company - and I'm very glad that my dogs are insured.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Thanks for sharing Christine. Glad we could assist.

Insurance claim made

Never expected to use it but have needed to use it

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

2 years, Its a lot of money to pay on a regular basis, but when required it is a god sent.
Very happy with the claims and portion of refund.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Thanks for the review Tahlia - glad we could assist!

Operation for pet dog

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2018

I have been member for 9 years. Recently my dog needed to have very large tumor removed. The cost was around $1400. The claim was handled by the vet and I promptly received a large portion back. I'm very happy with the service and am considering geeting insurance for other animals

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Good to hear we were able to assist Ric. Thank you for the review.

Claim settled quickly.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

The claim process is now so easy, our vet uploads everything and we don’t have to lift a finger. Prior to our pets recent surgery we applied for pre-approval to ensure the procedure was covered, this was approved which put our minds at ease knowing we’d receive 80% rebate. The portal has finally been upgraded, great for tracking claims. The only reason we didn’t give 5 star rating... it’s not that easy to find what your pet is actually covered for, the PDS is long winded. A simplified table of what’s covered would be excellent.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi HannaC, thanks for the review and the feedback regarding the PDS. We will look into providing a more simplified summary of cover.

Good and Bad

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

My 6 year old golden retriever suddenly stopped eating, and got worse over 2 weeks. Initially, vets carried out tests, tried medication and changing food. This bill was over $700 and we got $514 back. I was very happy with this and the process was easy, quick and efficient.

However, sadly my dogs sickness was terminal cancer and we lost him last week. I am now in the process of claiming for more diagnostics and his euthanasia. I was not happy to be contacted for this claim, asking for a full vet history for Dave since 2014. My logical mind (and someone who was worked in claiming before) would imagine that when other claims have been lodged prior, that the vet history that was previously given would be recorded against my policy so a policyholder does not have to give it every time a claim is lodged, wasting the time in the policy holder obtaining their payout. Vet history does not change. Yes - if there has been a new vet since the last claim, of course that would need to be updated.
It would have been easy and logical to see that my claim was 2 weeks prior, for the same dog, at the same vet, so please, in a very trying time, do not ask for information you readily have at your disposal.

That is my only grievance and I will continue to insure with bow wow should we get another dog.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Bel, we appreciate the feedback and definitely agree with you. I am not sure why you were asked for vet history as we would have had this already (since you had claimed before). I am sorry for t... read more »

Good Pet Insurance is Bow Wow Meow

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

Good payout from claim in September 2018. Thought the amount of documentation was excessive but we were able to comply with same

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks David. The first claims require all the vet history. However, if you need to claim again, it will be easier as we have all the detail on file now.

Redlands

Happy with outcome

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

I have been with Bow wow meow for 12 months. I changed from Pet Plan after 7 years as a new underwriter had commence and my premiums with them almost doubled ! I had acquired a new puppy and had a two year old Dogue De Bordeaux and I was able to get both of them insured for less than one with petplan ! The only problem was that due to some pre existing conditions with my Dogue I was unable to get cover for some conditions such as skin, which is a common ailment in Mastiffs. Te processing of the claim was speedy ( much quicker than Petplan) and there were no discrepancies. I would highly recommend Bow wow meow to anyone but particulay with new Puppies or kittens.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lee, thank you for the review. Glad we could assist quickly with the claim.

Insurance claim made

So glad I took out pet insurance.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2018

I’ve been a member with Bow Wow Meow for around 8 months. I have an American Staffy and she plays rough (as they do) So I feel a lot more at ease now that if she injures herself I will have help with any bills that may arise.
She had a problem recently with constipation and spent two nights at the vets and had a minor procedure done. I was impressed with the cover Bow Wow Meow provided for that bill. I only wish I had taken the cover out earlier as she has a lot of allergies and skin problems which are not covered by the policy as they are considered prior conditions.
Overall I am pleased with the service I have received from this company and the monthly fee, I think, is quite reasonable.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Reese, appreciate the review and glad we could assist.

Insurance claim made

First part of a difficult journey

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I have been with the company for around 3 years. I hadn't really had to claim before but my dog all of a sudden was diagnosed with a very aggressive bone cancer. He had to have his leg amputated within around a week or two of the diagnosis and I think I'm still in shock. So far Bow Wow have quickly paid for all his initial x-rays and tests at his local vet and provided a pre-approval for surgery and chemo with the specialist. I appreciated the assistance from the Bow Wow customer service representative that I was crying on the phone to..he did well. I expect that my surgery claim will go as smoothly as the first claim, as they did provide a pre-approval which gave me the peace of mind I needed to go ahead with confidence. I never, ever expected to need my insurance when I took it out. But there you go. So amazingly glad I did now.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jacqui, thank you for the review. I am glad we can provide peace of mind. We wish your dog a speedy recovery following the surgery.

Large claim

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I have my three hounds insured with Bow Wow Meow. I have had them insured there for 8 + years.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Insurance claim made

Really good. Had initial back and forth to get to a great result

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I’ve been with Bow Wow for almost a year and only made the one claim. I had initial issues with my vet getting the required information to Bow Wow and some back and forth between Bow Wow, myself and the vet, but once all information was provided Bow Wow was great and really timely. Thank you!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for the review Courtney. The first claim is usually the hardest as we require a full vet history. It should be easier if the need arises again. Glad it was sorted in the end though.

Insurance claim made

Good cover and good service with claims

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I have had my two dogs with bow wow for approximately two years. Recently I required to make 2 claims relating to the same issue with one of my dogs. The first claim was settled in a reasonable time with the vet emailing the claim directly to bow wow. However, the next part of the treatment claim had in my view an unreasonable delay in settlement. The claim was again sent directly as before then a request was made for me to provide a receipt that I had paid and yet the vet had processed the claim the same way. The request was made by post instead of email which caused unnecessary delay. This was a little disappointing and caused a delay in reimbursement of the claim.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Adrian, thanks for the review and for the feedback. We understand the delays and we are currently working on making communication more streamlined and electronic.

That would be great

Great

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

Just more info on the claim would be good. I did not recieve any information on what is being paid out etc. However speed was great.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am glad to say that our new claim portal (which is actually being launched this month) is going to detail all that for you. Thanks for the review Patrick.

1 of 15 pages

I have 2 dogs aged 6.I have been researching pet insurance. My elderly parents( both in 90's) have asked me to take their dog ( aged 7)when they passover. Non of the dogs have any pre existing conditions and are healthy.No hesitation here but can I get a policy to cover my dogs and theirs under MY name as they are pensioners. If no, then when I do take on their dog it maybe over the age of 9. What then?

Ella asked on Dec 12, 2018

Answer this

You will need a full vet history from birth for the dog or the pet insurance will be a waste of time. So if the dog has only been to the one vet should be easy enough but if not, any pet insurance will not allow you to claim and it would be a waste of money. Generally you cannot insure a pet for first time over 9 years of age but check insurance PDS.

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.

Jenny asked on Oct 13, 2018

Answer this

Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.

I can guarantee that your premiums will skyrocket with this company which is why I cancelled the 3 policies I had with them many years ago which cost me far more than I ever got back. Also 2 policies increased with no claims as much as one policy with claims so don't believe them when they say claim history impacts premiums. Your premiums will increase to cover the cost of the many morons having expensive, unnecessary treatment just because they have insurance not because their pets need it. Take out accident only insurance elsewhere, find a great homeopathic vet who will keep your dogs healthy & you will find that costs far less.

Hello I have to agree with this policy holder .. I too have just received my policy renewal for our dog who is just over one year old. Only made one small claim and my policy has increased $276 I could not believe that my policy increased by so much I have only had the policy for 1 year so I can only imagine how much it will increase next year and so on .
I am now in the process of looking elsewhere for my pet insurance and cancelling this policy ( hence how I have stumbled across these reviews ) I called bow wow meow and got someone who gave me the same ridiculous response as above... excuses

My opinion read all the reviews and carefully read the insurance covers and exclusions too And I agree I too have found a great homeopathic vet

Hi do your policy cover blocked gland? consult at a vet where the vet manually expresses and may have to do this regularly thanks Gary

Gary asked on Sep 12, 2018

Answer this

Hi Gary, if the glands are being routinely expressed or expressed as a preventative procedure or Elective Treatment by a vet or nurse, this will not be covered. This exclusion is listed under ‘Day to Day’ care in section 6 of the PDS. “preventative procedures and treatment (including, but not limited to, vaccinations, routine gland expression, flea/tick/worm control)”, as well as preventable procedures and Elective Treatments.
In cases where the pet requires medical treatment for the gland due to impaction, infection, abscess or rupture, we may cover the Treatment under Illness Cover provided the Condition is not Pre-existing.

Take your dog to somewhere like city farmers or pet barn where they groom animals, they charge one third of what the vets charge ie $15 compared to $40 or learn to do it yourself, fingers at 5 and 7 using a glove

See all 135 questions about Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance