Filter By:

Unethical and poor communication

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2018

Renewed my policy without any communication, one month later the company send out renewal for contract for in excess of $860, and informed I have 21 days to cancel the contract. Letter is also not dated.
I have spoken to 3 people from the company to cancel the contract , and everyone will supposedly call me back. Apparently the renewal price on the letter was a typo????? Contract i# $476, however when I put same information for an online quote it is $80 -$100cheaper????
Still waiting on a call from last Thursday to cancel the contract.
Very poor customer service and fail to return a simple phone call.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi JV1, we have received your communications and we are currently investigating. Sincere apologies. We will get back to you ASAP.

Cheats

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2018

Terrible company. Avoid at all costs. Had no trouble taking my payments for four years but found every excuse not to pay when I needed to claim. They are thieves and cheats and one to stay away. Have had more reputable companies recommended by my vet and have changed to a more honest company. Don't let yourself be cheated, stay away from bow wow meow. Trust someone who has been ripped off by these thieves.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Mrs Taylor, I am sorry you feel this way. We do pay out many millions of eligible claims (as you can see from the multitude of positive reviews), so we would be happy to investigate this for you... read more »

BEWARE!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2017

I do not recommend this company, when i joined i was paying $20 a pet per month and no excess per condition, now i pay $55 per pet a month and $100 excess. Im also on the top cover covered for $12000 and my dog developed Cranial Cruitate Ligament disease and i was told that they would only cover $2600 for the surgery despite being covered for $12000. I was told that i would be covered for everything to do with her disease under the $12000 and that it was just the surgery that it would be a limit of $2600 for. I then got the surgery done and now they are telling me that everything to do with the disease is only in that limit of $2600!! what a joke! With every claim there is a problem and they dont pay out until i query it and then they realise they were in the wrong!!! I also cant change insurers as no other insurers except previous existing conditions. BEWARE!!!!!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lauren, my apologies for the poor experience. This is currently with our resolutions team. We will update you as soon as we have a response.

• 2 comments

Avoid at all costs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2017

Had to make a claim and it’s a month of my life I’ll never get back. All correspondence is done via mail taking 10 days to get any information. Then from my original policy they’ve stuck in a sub limit for cruciate surgery. Now on they’re own website it states reasons why to have pet insurance. One is cruciate surgery as they paid out $3804(how as all policies have the sub limit)

The call centre is in foreign country and allows there’s a language barrier.

So after paying my premium and $200 excess I’m out of pocket $4000 for one of the most common dog injuries. Thank god I had insurance. Better of self insuring

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Troy, thanks for your feedback. The sub limits for cruciate ligaments were put in place a few years ago due to high increases in vet inflation as a result of very high cruciate ligament claims. ... read more »

Sub cruciate is the most common form of surgery for dogs hence why there is now a sub limit. The only problem is you mislead people by saying reasons to choose bow wow is ligament surgery you pa... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Troy, the costs claimed were for surgery as well as for a major infection that required further treatment.

Trying to cancel policy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2017

I am not very happy with your phone manner as I called to cancel my policy which I still haven’t been able to do as you keep transferring me to other place only to be left on hold for over an hour. To hang up and call you back only to find out that I had been forgotten about and your office is closed. Was meant to receive a call back never did.
Also if the money comes out of my account as you put me on hold instead of allowing me to cancel my policy I will be expecting a full refund. As I can delete my bank details off your website also as you don’t allow it.

You have some explaining to do. I would like to cancel my policy as I no longer want to be with a business that treats its customers like crap...

All I want to. Do is cancel my dam policy maybe I’ll have better luck dealing with you all tomorrow.... not happy.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Vanessa, we are sorry you have had such a poor experience with us. This is not the level of service we aim for. Please e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number and we will ensure that your request is actioned immediately.

melbourne

• 4 comments
  • 1 question
  • 2 answers

shameless grub for money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2017

in December 2017 premium went up by 55%, in 8 years my dog had one claim (in the first year of cover), so such a grub for money is unacceptable and should not be supported.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Cjvs, please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. We would like to investigate and get back to you ASAP. Many thanks.

He got it a week ago and no response from the 'official' so "...avoid at all cost...", they are not there to help your pet they are there to take as much money from you as they can. Earlier I was '... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Cjvs, it should not go up by this amount in a year. As requested, please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate. Many thanks.

Howard springs

Verified Customer

Terrible wait times.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2017

Paid my premiums but when I want to cancel they make it hard and convoluted. 40 mins and counting on hold to cancel my policy!!! Ridiculous... bet I wouldn’t have to wait this long if I wanted to sign up again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lamexa, I can appreciate your frustration. Unfortunately, this is our very busy period, however, you shouldn't have to wait this long. Please accept our sincere apologies. Please e-mail insuranc... read more »

• 6 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Bow wow meow shocking service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2017

I sent in a claim on 18th November and also sent via the Veterinary Surgery all of my dogs medical history... Guess what Bow Wow haven't got it!!! But they sent out a letter.. to identify this (they electronically contact for all renewal of insurance when they want YOUR MONEY) Most atrocious customer service... do not know what they are doing and quite frankly do not care.. This is my first claim after over 750.00+++ being paid in premiums... am seriously checking other insurances.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi traderm, I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with us. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number so that we can assist and expedite this. My sincere apologie... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Terrible Customer Service!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2017

Had this product for years and first time to claim had nothing but appalling customer service!!!! Wasn't informed on what was needed, wasn't offered additional help and I had to call to chase up more than once. When I called the second time was told the paperwork wasn't there when it was, which it was once I asked them to check, which lead to a longer claim of course.

I'm definitely thinking of taking my business elsewhere and letting everyone know.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Cherie, I am very sorry to hear this. It is really not the level of service we strive for. Please can you e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number and we will investigate and expedite any outstanding claims, if any. Many thanks

Poor service.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2017

Incompetent consultants, had to go through line by line with the person on the phone to explain everything - after 45 mins of explanation an error of $35 had been missed out on by the claims team - after all that explanation I get $25 back out of a 300$ vet bill (thanks to the $200 excess as per my policy).
Very inflexible too - wouldn't quote me for a higher premium until the next date of renewal, asked to transfer to sales - was advised to hang up and call again and select sales, asked to speak to supervisor - consultant said the phone call is recorded so you can say whatever you need to say here - bit bizarre, what's the guarantee the call is being recorded?
Plus point - claims are processed super fast however, what's the point if the amount is incorrect and you end up wasting an hour on the phone explaining the situation.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Pooja, I am sorry for the long time spent on the phone and the incorrect amount that was picked up. I am happy to investigate the way this call was handled. To do this, please e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy number. Many thanks

Excessive policy increase to pay for idiots wasting money because they can

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2017

Policy started out good value but as time has gone by excessive increase to pay for endless morons who think pet insurance means endless, unnecessary vet "treatment" is their right no matter what damage they do to their animal. Recent example is a policy holder who has claimed $10,000 - yes that is ten thousand dollars - for a dog with a skin condition that is still as bad if not worse than when so called "vet" started "treatment" a year ago. Absolutely ridiculous you expect customers making no claims to fund this idiocy. The dog suffering through this would be far better off if owner did not have pet insurance because they would have looked for an honest, caring, capable vet who could help their dog for a fraction of this obscene cost.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Kobba, thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you feel this way. Kobba, if you would like to explore ways of decreasing your premium cost, please e-mail insurance@bowwow.com.au with your policy... read more »

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Correspondence so slow via post, they won't email you.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Have submitted a claim in early Oct 2017 after 2 weeks with no response i contacted them to find put what was going on with the claim?? I was told that a letter requesting vet history for my dog was sent in the post to me which i had not received, so i spoke with my vet who emailed me a copy which i sent to bow wow meow via email and again i wait again no response, again i call and was told that they had sent me another letter, i asked the member of staff why does the company not communicate via email and was told that the system is not set-up that way and they understood my frustration and other customers have expressed the same issues and they would pass on my compliant to management. Don't waste your money on this company, i won't be renewing my policy. My gripe is not that they refused my claim because my dog had a hot spot the year before as well. I just find it hard to believe that this company still only corresponds via post, which it seems to take over 2 weeks for a letter to arrive from NSW to Victoria???

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Health Insurance Official

Hi Pigeon2, I understand your frustration. We do correspond via e-mail, however, claim information requests are posted due to our legacy system. We are aware of the time delays using postal service... read more »

Ever think of scanning the letter and send via email???

Terrible communication, no satisfaction.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

The policy was difficult to set up and in fact was never set up properly. After numerous emails and conversations on the phone with promises to update my policy, send confirmation by post and by email all of which never happened I decided to cancel. No claim was ever made and I doubt that it would have been paid on the light of the poor service. Out of pocket and very unhappy. My first time insuring my pets and proved totally waste of time and effort.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi KTMiam, I am sorry to hear that you had a very poor experience with us. My sincere apologies. Please email your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au as we would be happy to investigate and assist any way we can. Many thanks

Prolong paying any claims

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2017

The policy was not good value, as it was extremely hard to get any claims paid. My dogs have attended the same vet for many years and we would have about 2 visits per year. Each time I made a claim the vet would fill out the paperwork. I always got responses from this company for vet notes etc and they like to drag out any and every claim for as long as possible to avoid reimbursements. Considering that you have to pay the vet in advance, this pet insurance is the worst I have every been with, and I recommend that people to their money into a savings account for their pets and use it exclusively for vet bills and they will find that they will be financially better off.

December 13th 2017 Update: Terrible with claim payments

Save your money and put it into a savings account for your pets for emergencies. Bow wow meow pet insurance are good at taking your money notifying you that they have received your claim but just keeping you waiting for the claim payout. My claim was submitted in Oct with claim form, get invoice and receipts of my payment and along with the vet history and I still have not received payment and this happens constantly with this company.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Drew, I am sorry you have had a poor experience with us. Dragging out claims definitely is not our objective as this adds a huge administrative burden to us. The only time eligible claims are "d... read more »

USELESS SCAMMERS

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

I've been paying monthly premiums for 7 years in which I've managed to claim small amounts 3 times.
My dog needs teeth out which will cost $850. I have been told that they will only cover $50 as it comes under "routine care" even though the vet has said that it is an operation.
I recently took him to the vet which cost $170, submitted a claim and it is on hold as they are investigating it.....
What is the point in this? My emails go unanswered and all of the replies I get are not helpful at all. "Read the PDS" NO! I want you to tell me yourself if it's covered or not so I don't fork out $850 for a procedure to only get $50! SCAMMERS!!!!
Happy to take my money but drag their feet when it's time to give back! Would go anywhere else for petinsurance if I were you.
Would give 0 stars if possible.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Gkwade, I apologise for the delay you experienced when it came to responding to your e-mails as well as the "unhelpful replies" you received. This is not the service we strive for. Unfortunatel... read more »

I have been emailing you already for the past 3 weeks. Surely you can find one of my emails and then reply in the 3-5 days it takes the staff to respond.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Gkwade, we have many thousands of policy holders so all I need is a policy number to the stated e-mail address above in order to assist you. Many thanks

Insurance claim made

Very poor pet insurance. Paid $30 for a total of 3 claims ammounting to $550.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2017

I have used Bow Wow Meow for 18 months. Made 3 claims and waited 10 months for a $30 payment on a total of $550 worth of bills. Repeatedly asked for the complete vet history which I supplied and charged full excess for every claim even for the same complaint. Be very careful of this company as far as the fine print and excess. Went to RACQ and they are way better to deal with.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi vk4jgw, I am not sure what your excess amount was or what was claimed. However, we do pay out many millions of eligible claims. Please note, you are only meant to be charged one excess for the s... read more »

Mooloolaba

Covered next to nothing!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2017

Had my female Great Dane puppy desexed and a gastropexy done to PREVENT a possible serious health risk, which would cost a hell of a lot more to fix. Over $800 was the bill and received $50 back....absolutely pathetic!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Sharz, the $50 you received is only covered under our routine care cover. This is an optional extra and allows you to utilise $50 annually for one of the following: Desexing, Micro-chipping, Hea... read more »

I guess I should’ve expected preventative surgery would not be covered. Much better idea to wait until she’s nearly dying, then try claim the thousands of $ for emergency surgery instead....was abo... read more »

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Sharz, our policies are not priced to cover elective surgeries. Having said this we do not discourage you from choosing to go ahead with them. Again our PDS will detail exactly what is covered and what is excluded. Many thanks

Perth, Western Australia

Insurance claim made

Poor service for an insurance agency.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2017

After reviewing Pet Insurance's online, Bow Wow Meow stood out as a high quality Insurance service; I was wrong.

My experience after approximately two years with them:

They require a significant amount of phone calls to dispute or explain a claim result.
Example: I just spent over an hour, being on hold no less than 5 times discussing my claim.

They cannot back up their claim decisions with evidence:
My dog ate something at the local public dog park, so I took him to the vet being cautious, their claim determination was "you failed to take all reasonable precautions to protect your Pet from situations that may result in injury or Illness (such as ingestion of hazardous substances)".

Wow. Walking a dog around a dog park is unreasonable care?

Customer support is inadequate, when my partner tried to claim, she had to deal with someone who could not speak clear English, and had to stop the conversation because it was so difficult to understand.

I have Car Insurance, Contents Insurance and Phone Insurance, and I have on occasion throughout the years utilised each, yet any single one of them provide better service than Bow Wow.

I would recommend any other reputable Pet Insurance Agency before Bow Wow.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Joel, we endeavoured to contact you yesterday and left a voicemail. The vet notes state that your dog ingested a questionable substance and that he was not in the park, which is why the claim wa... read more »

As an authorised user to the account and the instigator for this claim but not the account holder, I believe you have contacted the wrong person and have responded with my personal contact details in private message.

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Terrible claims service!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

Very happy to take my premiums. But when my cat needed surgery getting the money back isn't so easy. I adopted my cat 6 years ago and due to moving houses a few times she's been to more than one vet. Getting them to pay up when she has a vet history from more than 1 vet is like pulling teeth. They asked me which vets she's been to in the past, I tell them, they promise to investigate and give me a verdict on my claim in 2 days. That was a week ago. Now I'm on hold with some guy in their o/s call centre waiting for info on this again (15 minutes on hold since he asked me to wait 1 minute to "check up" on my claim). Doubtful I'll ever see my money. What a joke. If they don't pay I'm taking them to VCAT.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Amber, I appreciate your frustration and I apologise for the poor service. Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that I can investigate with our resolution team and get back to you as soon as possible. Many thanks.

It's BW06398436. BTW, the guy I was speaking to yesterday promised to get back to me by the end of the day and didn't. Really, really poor service. I will likely be cancelling my insurance with you.

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

It took going to the Ombudsman to get any money back

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2017

The company make it very hard to claim vet costs back, and denied our request twice. They claimed that the inhalation of toxic fumes by our dog was a pre existing medical condition and not an accident.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes