Filter By:

Palm Beach

Insurance claim made

The Comprehensive Cover Policy that is Not Comprehensive when it comes to BWM paying out.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

Policy taken out for my Toy Poodle nearly 9 Years ago and at that time was 100% Comprehensive Accident and Illness cover however Bow Wow Meow dropped that down to 85% within 12 months without direct notification..premiums rising every year (started $18pm now over $60pm). Advised by the Vet that my 9 yr Toy Poodle when he became ill that had Hereditary problem with his mouth/teeth with multiple Abscess forming between/under/inside teeth only visible by x-ray where all bar 4 front teeth required extraction. The product statement says they cover Hereditary conditions however not this hereditary condition when it comes to paying out. They cover Cancer treatment (not day to day comfort/care) - how many people would put their Beloved Pet through Chemo and the Insurance co. know it! Better off putting the money away each month rather than giving it to Insurance Companies. My beef with this is that Pensioners and fixed Income earners take out Pet Insurance Comprehensive Cover, pay premiums to cover in case something big/costly arises for Vet Expenses and feel the Insurance Company is not holding up their end. Have cancelled Policy after just under 9 years. What a waste of money! Advise Pensioners etc. Not to waste their money..put it into a Bank account. Typical Insurance Company. Once again Big Business Wins out over the Little People.

Absolute scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2018

My puppy went into the vet and had to stay in for 48hours due to severe gastro, submitted claim however they refused to cover due to 2 months earlier my puppy had her 3rd booster And I mentioned she has a small touch of an upset stomach, vet said it was because of introduction of new food but bow wow meow feels that was the first sign of gastro even though the vet disagrees. Stay away from bow wow meow I should have gone with my gut and recommendations from others and taken policy’s out with Petplan, safe to say I will be cancelling all 6 of my policy’s.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Dave G, I am very sorry to hear that you have had a poor experience. We would like to assist with this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that our resolution... read more »

Insurance claim made

Dog poisoned rushed to emergency vet - Not covered???

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2018

Not been with them long, was with Bupa before who were excellent and only moved because it just got too expensive.
I am really disappointed as at the time I needed them most they were not there to help.
My dog was poisoned somehow in the garden we think as he came in hiccupping/chocking and his eyes started to close. He ended up at the emergency vet having his stomach pumped.
This was not covered as an accidental injury - although spider bites, snake bites, burns, car accident etc is! How is this not an accidental injury? I am really upset and shocked they would not cover this.

Just a heads up for those looking to go with them - go in with the mindset that nothing really is covered within the waiting period and you'll be ok.

I was lucky our bill was only $330 but that is not the point.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Thanks for your feedback Csp. You are correct, this is not covered under accident cover. I am sorry we could not assist. We have identified this as a change in our cover in our 'new soon to be rele... read more »

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

It's been 6 months since the claim and they keep delaying payment wanting more info that we don't ha

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

We have paid insurance for 4 years for our 2 dogs. This is our first claim and we keep getting letters asking for more vet history, when we have already provided it 3 times. Luckily, our dog has been healthy and has only been to the vet 4 times over the past 4 years. He had a small lump on his lip, which we had removed, as the vet was not sure if it was cancerous or not. (luckily it was not) I rang the Bow Wow asking what is happening, and they stated they would prioritise it and it would be sorted in the next 72 hours. Almost 2 weeks have past, (with NO response) and today they have sent an email to me saying, 'Dear practice manager', clearly meant for my vet. I've rang again, and they said the same thing...that they would prioritise it. Asked to speak to a supervisor, and she states she is one. Still not sorted and my monthly premiums since the surgery have cost me more than the vet bill we are claiming for. I'm disgusted with the NO service. It's cheaper for me to put the money away in case than give it to Bow wow, that DO NOT pay the claims! appalled.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lynda, I am sincerely sorry for this. It is not the service we strive for and I can understand you feeling appalled. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that w... read more »

Unhappy.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

Very disappointed in this insurance company. Refused claim for ear infection saying it was a pre existing condition. First one was well and truly fixed before I took out insurance. Been with them 10 months.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lilly, we am sorry you are disappointed. Please e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and get back to you. Many thanks.

A word of caution as your pets get older

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

Our dogs have been insured with Bow Wow Meow for approximately 8 years. In July (2018) this year I contacted Bow Wow Meow to change the frequency of payment from annually to monthly direct debit. I provided bank account details and the company debited the amount. In August I received communications that the direct debit had been unsuccessful notwithstanding that the account being debited was the one where the company had been able to debit the premium the previous month and there had been sufficient funds to cover the premium. I have since July been chasing up Bow Wow Meow via several telephone calls and emails as they have now stopped advising that the premiums have not been debited and are not debiting the monthly amounts as agreed. I need to check my bank account to see whether the premium has been deducted and when it hasn’t been I need to follow this up. I rang and spoke with a representative (yet again) last Thursday (27 September 2018) who assured me that the issue had been resolved and the premiums would be deducted from my bank account within 24 hours. I advised the consultant that I had read reviews regarding Bow Wow Meow on the web where customers had indicated that they had experienced similar difficulties to the one that I was having when their pets got older. I also advised the consultant that other than unconscionable or fraudulent behaviour on the part of Bow Wow Meow there was no reason for the premiums not to be deducted from my nominated account. I checked my bank account Tuesday 2 October and the premiums have not been not been deducted. I sent a follow up email and was advised that there was an ‘internal’ issue and that would be resolved. Still waiting. I have advised that if this behaviour of Bow Woe Meow continues past a further 5 business days I will be contacting both the ACCC and the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi, I can definitely understand your frustration here. I am not sure why you are having these difficulties but I would like to investigate this for you ASAP. Please can you e-mail your policy numbe... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Avoid at all costs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2018

I took out insurance in January for beloved BC. In early February she was treated for UTI and it turned out to be the start of urinary incontinence. Recently lodged a claim because BC is now on Propalin (expensive) and company refused claim on the grounds it was a pre-existing illness. I have asked for my claim to be reviewed. Wished I’d stayed with Petplan; this insurer is fraudulent.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Lisa, we attempted to call the you on Friday and left a voice message followed up with an email advising the claim is being reviewed and to allow 10 – 15 business days for the outcome.

Mornington

• 1 answer

Insurance claim made

Under no cirumstances insure your pets with this company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

We have been 1.5 years with this insurance company and one of our dogs ruptured cruciate ligaments in both knees. After a lengthy claim process which included ages on the phone we got: nothing! This insurance is a total fraud. We should have kept the monthly insurance premiums and put them in a separate account which would have at least covered some of the costs.
The call centre is based overseas and the service is substandard. The company strategy is clearly to wear claimants down with request for additional information in order for them to go away. Even our veterinary clinic is frustrated after dealing with them.... For instance how are we to provide vet history for a rescue dog that had never seen a vet? This question is then repeated (I am not kidding) 8 times! In writing.... and that after I spent an hour with some customer service person on the phone explaining the case.
If you like your animals and want their best stay away from this fraudulent bunch. Do not buy Bow Wow Meow pet insurance.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Clem, I am sincerely sorry you have had such a negative experience. You do not need to provide vet history if it is a rescue. You only need a certificate of adoption or documentation from when y... read more »

Mooloolah Valley

Insurance claim made

Second Claim - here we go again...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2018

Still waiting on resolution of first claim....have the resolution team looking into this but its very very slow. Submitted second claim and here we go again...they have all the information but now seeking more information. Quick to take your money but slow in processing a claim. Both claims are not from previous illness but the review process is just forever slow. Now they require history of 5 years ago....seriously guys.......frustrated beyond believe. Slow communication, slow in processing, forever wanting documentation whilst you have everything on record now. Poor Poor service and claiming.....its so slow, i cannot even give you a star. I am only clicking on one otherwise i cant submit this form.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Violetta, I am very disappointed to hear this and you have my sincere apology. Please can you send your policy number or claim number to insurance@bowwow.com.au. If I receive your e-mail to this... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Shocking service - overseas call center and no payout on claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

All looks good on paper - I think something must have changed recently with their claims team that I now believe are based overseas too. Keep hitting road blocks on what should be a simple claim. Not happy at all. Not worth the money.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Kate, I am sorry to hear this. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and get back to you. Many thanks

Birkdale, QLD

• 16 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

+++ The worst company we have ever dealt with - PLEASE DON'T USE THEM YOUR BURNING YOUR MONEY IF YOU

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

After being with this mob for 4 years we have 6 pets 3 dogs 3 cats so you can imagine we pay top $ with these so-called pet insurance providers we have tried to claim 4 times int he last 2 years and all 4 were rejected. Now we are not talking thousands here but simple things like ear infections and eye problems. No previous history of these at all and they send the exact same letter every time saying that the claim does not meet there terms and conditions of the illness. Don't say no one warned you.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am sorry to hear that Macnet1. We have paid out many millions of eligible claims so I would be happy to investigate this for you. Sometimes it is simply missing information but would definitely l... read more »

Keep. Looking.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 20, 2018

On day 28 of our 30 day waiting period we had our puppy examined because his urine was dark. The vet didn't make a diagnosis or suggest any treatment, and said there were no other symptoms of anything wrong.

A year into our policy, our dog developed a bladder infection. Our vet said this could have been caused by any number of things, including over-zealous grooming. But our claim was denied, as Bow Wow declared this was a pre-existing condition. In their rejection documents, Bow Wow Meow presented a diagnosis that was not made by our vet and conflated two separate and time-distinct issues into one to avoid paying out.

Their customer service was atrocious and non-responsive, and our vet told us it was strange for the insurer to rely on interpreting consultation notes alone and not have them provide any additional information to explain the diagnosis and condition.

I have since cancelled our policy and look forward to continuing to insure our pet with another company. I strongly advise you to keep looking and stay away from Bow Wow Meow.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Steph A, my apologies...please can you send through your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au as we would like to investigate this with our resolutions team. Many thanks.

I think you’ve missed the boat on resolving this. I’ve already raised it with your team and told them I was cancelling my policy, thanks to their poor coverage and responsiveness.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

I am very sorry about that Steph. I am able to assist if you decide to give us another chance resolving this. Apologies again.

Insurance claim made

Insurer wants my rescue dogs medical history from 3 years before I adopted him.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2018

Appalling customer service. I am 100% sure they just deny claims until you give up. Staff don't speak clear English nor understand you over the phone or email. They cant interpret information provided. I am repeatedly asked for my rescue dogs medical history from 3 years before I even met him and adopted him as I cant supply this they have refused to pay my claim. We were both attacked by another dog. I ended up in hospital and had to have surgery to put my hand back together. My dog received injuries as well. Bow wow was given a detailed dog medical report and list of injuries and a invoice receipt. I have top dog insurance and they refuse to pay the claim because I cant provide his medical history 3 years before I adopted him. I've supplied his adoption papers and the staff still dont acknowledge I didnt own him 3 years ago and cannot provide his medical history from then. Might I add it his previous medical history has nothing to do with him having an accident.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Alison, I am very disappointed to hear this and apologise sincerely. This is definitely not the service we aspire to. I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal. There is no need to provide prior v... read more »

Really Dissapointing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

The couple times I have had to deal with this company have been so appalling, I wonder how they are still in business.
When we made a claim it was a very frustrating and dissapointing experience. Many many phone calls to follow up and bad service from them when you do speak to them, I really felt like they were trying to hold off and get away with not honouring our claim. When I expressed what dissapointing service and experience it was to the complaints - General Manager I received nothing than a mere 'Oh Well response'.

Months later I want to cancel the policy they have again made it very difficult and not returned calls and got me to the stage I was demanding over the phone for my policy to be canelled...and then he did it on the spot rather than the previous three phone calls were to transfer me through to some other team.
Terrible service and un-professional.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi K L, it is very disappointing to hear that. My sincere apologies. It would be appreciated if you could e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate this for tr... read more »

Brisbane

• 2 comments
  • 2 helpful votes

Waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

Paid for 3 years from when our dog was a puppy with no claims and the one time I submit a claim it’s denied. Save your money and don’t bother using bow wow or anyone else that flogs off petsure insurance because when something comes that’s actually worth claiming they’ll leave you hanging out to dry.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi J.Warner, we are sorry to hear this and would like to investigate this with the claims area. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can assist. Many thanks.

So I've finished claim team and i still stand by what I originally said and have also discovered the insurance covers sweet FA including a basic visit to the vet. If you're looking at getting insur... read more »

Perth

Really disappointing.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

Submitted two claims following our dog’s accident. At first it seemed to be going through, as there was no notification from Bow Wow that there had been issues. Then I find out through the portal that they require a complete history. Fine, I submitted that. Then again through the portal (was checking daily at this point, because I was not receiving any emails or texts to confirm they’d received the documents) I found out that they’d requested the documents again. Okay, submitted AGAIN via email.
Finally, I call. They tell me that they’ve been unable to open the documents. Requested I sent through photos. So I email photos, hear nothing and finally the first claim is processed.
The second claim I’m still waiting on. I have a claim number and everything. So I call again. They say they’ve processed the first claim and the second was a duplicate. No, it was a separate claim for another hospital. But they tell me they couldn’t access the documents. I repeated they had been sent in JPEG at their request, at least 3 times. But there’s no record of that email, so please submit again.

They said they will try and ‘expedite’ this claim. But if not, it’ll be 7 to 10 days.

If only they’d notified me immediately that the documents couldn’t be opened, then I could have resubmitted again.

Also the website is ineffective. You cannot view individual claims. So how can you track it yourself?

Very disappointing, looking at a new insurer for our pet following the outcome of this claim.

(However — thank you to staff who actually try to help in the call centre).

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Koda Bear, it is very disappointing to hear this. My sincere apologies. Please supply your policy number so I can hand this over to the resolutions team and ensure it goes through quickly (pleas... read more »

Thank you for your fast response. I have emailed my policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Received, thank you. A resolutions team member will get back to you ASAP.

• 2 comments

Insurance claim made

Would not accept an accident claim...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

After being insured for a year we submitted our first claim. However it was declined because we did not provide them with a full vet history (he is a rescue dog). We are trying to claim for a scratch our dog had on his eye.
Very disappointing. Stay away!

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Carly, please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so we can get our resolutions team to look at this. We definitely cover rescue dogs. All that is needed is a certificat... read more »

I have already sent that through.

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Carly, I can only access your e-mails at insurance@bowwow.com.au. Please ensure it is sent to that e-mail address so I can assist, as I can not find it. Many thanks.

Insurance claim made

Not sure if it’s worth it....

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

My German shepherd needs both cruciates done and I’ve been paying pet insurance for almost 5 years for her. I phoned them and they initially said they cover 80%.....wow how great! But oh yeah it’s capped at $2600 TOTAL per annum for cruciates whether you have 1 done or 2!!! So the surgery will cost total $11,000 plus physio after and they give me back $2600 which doesn’t even come close to 1 of the surgeries.
Not sure why I pay for pet insurance when I’ve paid weekly for so long and barely benefit!
Not even human health insurance is that brutal

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Policy holder for 12 years - today I cancelled. Not good enough!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2018

I have held my policy since I first got my puppy in 2005. In recent years I've had my policy increase with no claims made over the last 3-4 years. I put in a claim for teeth cleaning, annual vaccinations and routine blood screen this year. My out of pocket was $697 and I was given a rebate of $60. I pay just under $1000 per year for this policy and I cannot fathom how this is actually good value. Considering I've been a loyal customer for all this time with few claims, I found their ability to satisfy my requests as a customer extremely poor. An annual cap of 'routine' care to $50 which includes an expensive procedure such as teeth cleaning is underhanded. I'm better off putting the money I pay them into an interest account and cashing in when required. I urge others considering pet insurance to do the same - absolute joke!

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi MelbD, I am sorry to hear you are dissatisfied. The policies are designed to cover accidents and illnesses. It looks like the claims you have placed are routine care items and thus our policies have limited cover for them.

You're clearly ignoring the fact that I'm telling you as a policy holder of 12 years, having spent $9000 on insurance in that time with you, that this IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I hope more of your policy... read more »

Newcastle

Insurance claim made

Writing a second review because we have a second issue

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

So our dog had what we thought was a breathing issue. Took her to the vet, and thankfully she was ok. We submitted our claim and it got rejected, apparently because it was a 'health check'. Except it wasn't. We wouldn't have taken her had we not thought something was wrong. Not to mention the response email was barely written in English because Bow Wow has an offshore customer service team.

"Nixie’s claim wasn’t rejected because it is a vaccination/health check under Routine care hence it is a consultation to check if there is something wrong to the pet. You have completely verify the result is positive since everything is normal. Please be advised be advised that we only cover your expenses if there is something wrong with the pet.

I’m sorry to say but if your vet confirmed that there is something wrong with Nixie’s breathing this claim should’ve been covered."

We asked to be shown where in the PDS it states that they won't pay if there is lucky enough to be nothing wrong with your dog. They then linked us a copy of the PDS. We requested again to be shown and we are still waiting.

Words cannot describe how terrible Bow Wow is.

Comments
Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jesse, I can understand your disappointment - my apologies. I would definitely like to investigate what occurred from our end. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so we can get to the bottom of this. Many thanks

Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance Official

Hi Jesse, following the investigation, I can confirm that your claim was assessed as a regular health check and not an illness. The reason I was given was because the notes were not detailed enough... read more »

1 of 77 pages

I am considering starting a policy for our 2 dogs. I'm concerned that the premiums will skyrocket each time the policy is renewed. My dogs are 7 and 8. What annual % increase can I expect? If I make a claim, does that result in premium increasing? If so, by how much? Also, with the 10% for second dog, do I get that discount each time the policy is renewed? Thanks.

Jenny asked on Oct 13, 2018

Answer this

Hi Jenny, these are all great questions. It is difficult to answer though as premiums are also dependent on variables that are not known such as vet inflation and the claim frequency of our book. Your claim history does have a small impact on premium. The 10% multi pet discount, is a discount that is applied through the life of the policy so you do retain it on renewal. With older pets, premiums do increase. We try limit this to a cap of 15% as we like to avoid raising prices by huge amounts (it is important to note that there is no pricing guarantee and we reserve the right to increase if need be though). Hope this helps answer your questions.

Hi do your policy cover blocked gland? consult at a vet where the vet manually expresses and may have to do this regularly thanks Gary

Gary asked on Sep 12, 2018

Answer this

Hi Gary, if the glands are being routinely expressed or expressed as a preventative procedure or Elective Treatment by a vet or nurse, this will not be covered. This exclusion is listed under ‘Day to Day’ care in section 6 of the PDS. “preventative procedures and treatment (including, but not limited to, vaccinations, routine gland expression, flea/tick/worm control)”, as well as preventable procedures and Elective Treatments.
In cases where the pet requires medical treatment for the gland due to impaction, infection, abscess or rupture, we may cover the Treatment under Illness Cover provided the Condition is not Pre-existing.

Never made a claim until our beloved dog Henry died aged 9. Phoned Bow Wow Meow who said no need to put extra details in only the most recent treatment that we are making our claim for. Followed all the online prompts only to have a request for ALL vet treatment during his lifetime, pathology reports and X ray results. How come other owners have their claims paid out immediately? Very disappointed!

Henry asked on Aug 21, 2018

Answer this

Hi Henry, I am sorry you are disappointed - my apologies. Please can you e-mail your policy number to insurance@bowwow.com.au so that we can investigate and sort out for you. Thanks

See all 134 questions about Bow Wow Meow Pet Insurance