• 1 question
  • 9 helpful votes

Model: BES860 Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Proof in the pudding

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2018

I have been reluctant to offer a review of a coffee machine because from 2003 until 2011 I went through four of the expensive fully automatic machines. My purchase of the semi automatic Breville was the result of losing faith in the automatic machines. The Breville just has a built in grinder with grind and quantity select and a group flow selector. Not one thing has gone awry with this product in almost seven years. It heats quickly, the switch from brew to steam is almost instant. The only downsides are the small bean hopper, (rectified on later models) and the water reservoir which warms up too much. This necessitates emptying the unit every day. The grounds tray is a little fiddly to clean but is better than most. I will certainly have another when this one finally cries for mercy.

Brisbane

• 6 helpful votes

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Love this machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2018

I purchased this from Harvey Norman and the lovely young lady that served me was fabulous. I’ve never had a coffee machine before so I was a bit worried about that but it has been great. Highly recommend going to Harvey’s to get this coffee machine. Happy customer and fantastic coffee.

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Luv this machine, love the coffee.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

We researched this prior to purchase and my experience is we got it dead right. We wanted a machine that could regularly produce a decent coffee for the two of us and occasionally for up to four people. It has never missed a beat and once individually programmed and set up for the type of coffee currently used, it consistently produces excellent coffee. Cleaning is a breeze if done after each set of coffees are drunk and the cleaning cycle isn't much harder. After the time since purchase has passed this machine has not only paid for it's self but has gone into credit for us. If this machine breaks down from now on I would definitely go straight out and buy another one.

Melbourne

So good.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Super happy with this. Have owned it for almost a year now and gets used everyday (sometimes 2-5 times).
Far better alternative to pods - reduced waste and cafe quality coffee.
It's a little fiddly to get used to in the beginning but you'll feel like a barista in no time.
100% recommend.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Wollongong

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Jun 2017

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Fantastic machine we have had exactly zero problems with it. We bought after having another very old Breville machine (which is still going - it was taken to my husbands office) and a Delonghi Prima Dona (most expensive and worst machine on earth - it spent more time in being repaired than being used eventually the mother boards were fried again it was more to fix than buy a new one). A relative had a similar older version of this machine which was is still going at 10 years and after the problems with the Delonghi we decided give it a try. It is noisy though, we have to wait till the children are up before we make a coffee as it wakes them (bedrooms are close to the kitchen) but I don't care. I have been out and driven home to make a coffee because it is better than a lot of coffee shops (once you get your coffee making routine down). Friends and family usually say the same. Doesn't say much for the cafes in our area! Lol

Perth

Love my coffee machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

Barista made coffee each morning and so much cheaper. Love my brevillle coffee machine. Easy to use and great tasting coffee. Takes a little time to get the settings right but once you know your coffee beans and the machine you will be able to make perfect tasting coffee every time.

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Solid but noisy device

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2018

So this is my second Breville coffee machine. Last one did 9 years! Love the fact the grinder is built in and the way it dispenses is so cool. You may be required to tweak grind size etc a lot to get best results. Overall this machine will give you a great shot but you have to work it. So it's big. There's plenty of hissing and the bar pumping in the background and it looks kind of steam punk. You feel like you can give it a wrestle. For the price (don't pay anymore than $699) the steam wand is wonderfully impressive and it's pretty easy to make a cafe quality coffee. Just get decent beans obviously. So in summary I would recommend. Small quiet house-holds (imagine in a block of flats??!!) should perhaps avoid.

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Nov 2018

Might be just my luck! Received a dud. [RESOLVED]

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2018

Update:
Breville product support and its agents are legends. They were very understanding and gave me compensation. The BES870 is consistent with the positive reviews here. Would I buy one again? Sure will!

Original Post:
After much research and gawking at the solid reviews online, we decided to buy the BES870CRN on the weekend. Unfortunately, for some reason I was only get 15ml over 15-20 seconds of total extraction time - regardless what combination I tried - Coursest to Finest grind and grind amount ranging from minimum to up to halfway through the dial for a single shot filter. I followed the troubleshooting steps per the manual and suggestions online but no bueno. Heck I even tried the same settings that my friends use who also have the same machine except stainless version but the same beans.

The pressure needle would climb to the first 2 bars of the Espresso range within 9 seconds then around the 11-12 second mark, it would spike past the acceptable range and then the machine would cut-off. The only way for me to get a 30ml+ extraction is I used the doubleshot option even on a single filter dose. Very weird.

I rang Breville support on Monday and they too were convinced that the product was faulty given the extensive troubleshooting I had gone through. Wasted a fair bit of money on beans as well - 2 bags - I really wanted to make it work but alas...I hope I can get compensation for the lost beans and time I spent trying to make this work.

Waiting for a replacement now and it will take at least a week. I am really hoping that I just happened to receive a dud and that the new one's performance is aligned with the reviews and experience testimonies here that I am clearly missing out on.

Will post a follow up at a later stage once replacement has been tested.

Melbourne, VIC

• 2 helpful votes

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Nov 2018

Almost perfect, but for the price, it deserves 5 star

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2018

Got the machine from Harvey Norman, they had a special promo wherein we received 2 mo worth of beans for a Sydney coffee maker, so that was sweet.

Price is/was cheaper originally at Costco (349 vs 369 HN) but the sale made the price identical + the free beans.

It was an upgrade purchase from an old Breville Cafe Nova machine. We didn't know which one to get at first, but getting a unit with a built-in grinder made sense as we don't have that much countertop space.

Set-up was easy enough, the instructions are pretty easy to understand as well for a relative newbie.

Coffee made were very consistent. Frothing/steaming milk is a breeze too. I just wish the tank was a little bigger or has some sort of a low-water level visual LED indicator or something.

I'd say the biggest issue I have is the grinder-to-portafilter process. It usually overfills the portafilter and you can't tamp the coffee without wasting half a teaspoon or so. After a while, I just put a tupperware underneath to catch excess grinds and level it before bringing the portafilter to the countertop for tamping.

The most challenging part is getting the grind size and quantity right. If you tend to use just one type of bean/blend consistently, I'm sure you'll find the perfect combination of grind size/quantity/tamper pressure to get consistent cups.

But for folks like me who like to change beans once a month, you'll most likely have to waste 100g of beans everytime of you change to get it right.

Overall, very happy with it.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

• 2 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 5 answers
  • 34 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Excellent machine but a bit complicated to use

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

We bought ours second hand having to watch on Gumtree to finally get it as it is very popular and sells straight away..
Good machine making great coffee and cappuccinos.
BUT it is complicated to set up though. I watched multiple YouTube clips but still had issues with it grinding too much coffee - requiring every cup needing some grinds removed each time. We had some visitors come and they sorted it out for me but now I am not game to change any of the settings in case it all goes wrong.
It really is a machine for coffee fanatics that like their coffee just so.

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Jul 2015

The perfect coffee machine!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

Very satisfied with this coffee machine! Is has been in use for almost four years, making coffees a few times a day, without losing a heartbeat. The best part is the built-in grinder, which means less fuss with an external grinder and a fresh ground coffee every time! If it ever breaks down (which seems unlikely), I'll definitely buy another one!!

Purchased at: David Jones

• 1 answer

Model: BES860 Date Purchased: Apr 2009

Great little machine, makes the perfect coffee will last you forever if you take good care of it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2018

I've had this machine since 2009 and have used it at lease 300 of the 356 days a year, each and every year since. Makes a great coffee just the way me and my wife likes it and the little thing is still going and works like the day I took it out of it's box. The only thing I've had to do was change is the rubble seal after it's first 5 years and that's costed me about $18.00. I have a spare seal just in case it goes again but haven't had to yet. Brilliant little machine, best investment I've ever made.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Did Not Last Long but Good Coffee Quality

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

Gave us very good coffee at the start but after 12 months the coffee was watery and now it does not stop brewing the coffee. Its pressure pump and motherboard needs replacing, which will cost around $500. we used the coffee machine every day. I am surprised with how soon it stopped working properly as if after its warranty period it just falls apart!!!

Newcastle

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: May 2017

Love my morning coffee

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2018

After researching for hours to decide on a coffee machine of quality but value, i settled on The Breville Barista. This machine makes a great coffee with a superb crema. Easy to set up and easy to use. The steam wand allows you to produce barista quality coffee for yourself at the comfort of your home.

It delivers a consistent product and very easy to clean up.

I can highly recommend Breville Barista to anyone wanting a quality machine at a very reasonable price.

Purchased at: Appliances Online

Melbourne

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Where have you bean all my life

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

The flexibility with this machine is so great.
Being able to grind your own beans allows for fresher coffee and you can change how fine you want the grind depending on the beans. When the beans are fresher, there are more oils requiring the grind to be courser. The steam wand is bigger than the old bes800 and the milk heats up faster.
I also love that you can pre program how much coffee you want in your cup with the press of the button it will put the right amount in each time. No more over filling while get your porridge out of the microwave ;)

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

Orange NSW

• 1 comment

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: May 2018

Great Coffee Machine. Worth the money.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

The coffee coming out of this machine is of excellent quality. Heats up super quick, good flavour profile. The inbuilt grinder is convenient and easy to set... only fault I find is that it is super sensitive at setting. Dialing even the slightest higher time will increase the time significantly further that would be expected. Also I would like to see smaller increments on the actual grind texture.

BLAKEHURST

• 5 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

Professional Coffee Coffee at home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

I was searching for a compact coffee maker which can replicate barista made coffee at home. before buying this coffee machine i had a day training for barista n sydney and with that experience I started making coffee at home. believe me this little master is exactly replicate the taste of coffee shop coffee. every time make coffee with freshly grind-ed beans , professional milk frothing , same expresso shot.

pros
its gives 99% of real coffee shop taste. easy to handle and maintain. lot of accessories came with. decently priced product

cons.
As like other instant coffee makers this one you need minimum knowledge of coffee making. i don't think a novice can make perfect coffee straight out of box.

either practice or do a day long barista course or practice n practice. its best choice i made

queensland

Verified Purchase Model: BES870 Date Purchased: May 2018

Love it!!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

the machine functions allow the grind and dosage amount to be just right, so we set this up for the beans we use and away we go, the quality of the coffee is exceptional. the coffee is consistent, the temperature is good, the hot water however is often not hot enough if you enjoy a hot long black or want a black coffee with a dash of cold milk you will find it not warm enough. Aside from this its overall an excellent coffee machine, I used to be a Barista and love it.

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

Sydney

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Brilliant machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2018

It's so easy to operate (after help from daughter) and now have consistently good coffee. Just need to learn which grind is best which just takes a few goes but worth the effort. Make sure you heat everything up by pushing through a 'hot shot' before you use it for the first time in the day. Cleaning process is simple, easy to handle the machine and is not noisy.

Highett

• 2 comments

Model: BES870 Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Excellent home coffee machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2018

I’m very satisfied with this machine. I bought a Delonghi originally, and it was nice and small, but it lacked the build quality that this breville has (though it cost less).

The grinder is good for using with the machine. Probably not as good for plunger and cold brew coffee, but it’s designed to be used with this machine, for the average drinker. Some beans may require you to adjust the settings, so keep that in mind if you change blends or brands a lot.

Build quality is excellent (though I guess time will tell), and everything is easy to use. Keep in mind that this is not the machine for someone who has no interest in making coffee mostly from scratch; you’ll need to learn how to tamp, what beans to use, grind size, and of course, how to steam milk. Milk steamers on the larger, more expensive models are of course better, but mainly in terms of speed, and I like the slower steaming, as it produces good micro-foam.

Definitely buy a second milk jug (just a Kmart one is fine), and make sure you clean the steam wand well (you can soak it too). Change the filter every couple of months; it’s definitely worth it. Yes, they cost money, but you aren’t serving blend 43, so it’s worth the investment for your machine, and taste of your coffee.

If you drink 2-4 cups a day, you’ll get your value back over a year. Factoring being able to get great coffee at home, any time, and being able to serve it to your guests and family, I think it’s worth it, and it’s still cheaper and better for the environment than pods (and better quality).

Hot water function is a little slow to pour, but great considering it’s instant hot water, and faster than boiling a kettle. Great when entertaining, and the machine is ready to go.

You can get other brands of cleaning tablets; make sure you read the instructions to learn to clean the machine, and descale occasionally (using filters will reduce the frequency)

If you have the room for it, and drink coffee often, you won’t regret it

Purchased at: Costco

1 of 33 pages

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I enable the cleaning function on the Breville Barista Express?

If the “clean me” light is illuminated on your Barista Express, turn off your machine, and hold down three buttons - both the one cup & two cup buttons, and the Start button. While holding these buttons down, turn on your unit, and it will start the cleaning process.

What do I do if I am having issues with the taste/volume of my shot from the Breville Barista Express?

As a manual machine, the output from your Barista Express will come from your technique. Breville recommends to refer to the Extraction Guide in your manual, as this has pointers for many typical extraction issues, including shot quantity and bitterness.

Latest Consumer Questions

BES870

Should my cleaning disk have a hole in the middle? Replacements seem to have it and Im hearing from people it needs the hole to let the steam out and mine doesnt have a hole and think it may be a manufacture defect.

Brad M asked on Dec 10, 2018

BES870

Where do we find the serial number on the BES870 machine?

Realizadream asked on Dec 09, 2018

BES870

My machine pump is running but coffee will not come out. Either blocked or not enough pressure?

T Roy J asked on Dec 01, 2018

Answer this

A few years of using this machine, but never seen it block. What's the pressure gauge showing? If it goes high, you either have too much grind in the group handle, or you've tapped it down way too hard. Try with less amount of coffee and also try to see if finer / more coarse makes it any better.

I've noticed that using old beans (or many grocery bought ones) would require 2 cycles of extraction to work. First extraction usually won't work then the 2nd would (albeit producing bad coffee).

Try running the machine without any beans and see if water comes out. If so, then try using less grind first (like use single grind quantity but press double cup extraction). The pressure should be low and watery coffee would come out... If that's the case, then you might just be using too much coffee, tamped too much, too fine of grind, or combination of those.

See all 464 questions about Breville Barista Express

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details