Breville has rebranded their Cafe Venezia Espresso Machine to the Compact Café. The product remains otherwise the same.

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Stylish and compact on the bench and good quality coffee

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2018

This is a very nice coffee machine to use at home, it sits nice and compact on the kitchen bench top and makes good quality coffee every time. The coffee has good crema nd is just he right temperature, not too hot or too cold. The machine is also very easy to keep clean and it is nice to use in general, I would recommend it!

CENTRAL COAST NSW

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Makes really good coffee for a small machine

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

Easy too use and makes good coffee for a small machine - good price too - bought on line with my flybuy points after recommendation from a friend - she had bought one only a few months before and was very happy with the machine. We use stronger coffee to get a more robust flavour.

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 3 answers
  • 19 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Very good Basic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

This is a very good basic coffee maker. Get a single walled basket for the porafilter so you can make better coffee. This machine is as good as some of Brevilles more expensive machines. As long as the one you get has the Italian pump.
I purchased mine a while ago not sure if they still use an Italian pump

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

So far so good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2018

I bought this one for my husband when it is on sale (after my brother gave a good review about the higher end one). It can make strong coffee (that I really like), however it is quite noisy. Anyway, we enjoy our coffee every morning. It is just good enough for its value. Recommend!

• 2 comments

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

I hate it

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

I work in cafes and bought this for my mums when I'm at home, it's disgusting. It doesn't brew the coffee properly! It's LITERALLY like a cup of water. So I've tried everything but there is no cure

melbourne

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Use every day - often many times!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2018

This is a real "friend of the family" and get used all day by various people. It's very simple to operate and makes delicious coffee. I prefer its minimalist design and I like the silver finish. If I get the pressure just right and have decent coffee available, I can rival the local cafe with this! Good coffee machine and definitely recommended

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Makes great coffees

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2018

This is probably my favorite machine in the house! It was a winner from day one and REALLY makes great coffees, looks good too all in silver. I like how the interface is very minimalist - not too many options to complicate matters. It does one thing basically (extract coffee shots) but it does it extremely well. I alway get a nice crema on top. Very worthy machine.

Purchased at: eBay

Edwards Town

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Yummy coffee

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

This is the best gift for any coffee lover! As it was for me and has been for me for the past year and a bit since owning it I have cut down the amount of coffee I take out. It was on the pricey side but it makes close to cafe style coffee

Purchased at: Kmart

Adelaide

• 4 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Good coffee machine if you are on a budget

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

This is a good value coffee machine, it's not fancy however for the price it's great.
It has a large water tank, a handy cleaning tool that clips into the machine for storage and you can use a coffee mug if you want. This is my third coffee machine and I'm happy with this.
The big thing to remember is that you get what you pay for and while this isn't a Rolls Royce machine, it is great value for the price.

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Water leakage from poor design. .

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

Out makes reasonable coffee and it's easy to use. But the water problems are terminal. This was not a fault with the machine just terrible design which warrants a recall in my opinion. After using each time it discharges quite a quantity of hot water into the drop tray. It discharges with such force that the water jumps the rim and goes both under the drop tray and onto your benchtop, our backwards into the machine and underneath the electrics. Very poor.

• 1 comment
  • 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: May 2018

Love it and the coffee

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

Purchased mine from Costco and used it heavily over the last few months- perfect coffee. So far a great purchase and seems like a quality machine. Would buy again for sure. Worked out it will pay for itself in one year now I don't buy coffee from baristas. Even take it in the car when going on holidays.

Purchased at: Costco

• 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Best coffee at home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2018

Coming from the capsules it is a big change
Use to be we were just drinking the coffe and now we are enjoying it
It takes a little practice but well worth it to try
It makes a fantastic tasting very mouthwatering coffee.
We love it at home with our new coffee machine

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Good medium sized machine

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2018

We are coffee lovers and we got this partially on reviews we read here. We wanted a smallish machine that still delivered good results (not pods) and we feel this is a good match. I can get a decent extraction and am happy with the results. Controls are very simple so there not much to go wring and it looks nice too!

Purchased at: JB Hi-Fi

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Daily Dose Of Cafeinne

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

I fall out of bed and have my coffee half made before I am even really awake. I use this machine every single morning and I find it simple, efficient and very reliable. I like its clean ergonomic design and simple controls. It put out decent pressure which mean good coffee. I am happy with this choice.

Purchased at: eBay

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Looks Good Coffee Decent

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2018

This is a nice looking machine that looks great in our kitchen with its silver finish. I would rate its coffee making abilities as high average. It does a decent extraction but I am always left feeling a little more pressure would get more from the beans. Its OK for pre ground supermarket coffee but probably not up to your local cafe standard. Its good for the price

Date Purchased: May 2018

Perfect little sized coffee machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2018

So nice to have a coffee machine at home that doesn't cost a lot and makes great coffee. A friend also has one and recommended it to me and I would now so the same. Cost me less than $200 which left change in my pocket for a nice grinder!

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Makes OK coffee

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2018

We have had this since last year and its simple and very reliable. If I had my time again, I would buy a machine that can get more pressure as I think that is what is holding it back. I cant quite get the delicious coffee I am after and I have tried all different parameters. It produces OK coffee just not fantastic. It looks good and is compact.

Childers

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Not bad

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

the only problem with this coffee maker is that in the end the metal filter bucket that holds the coffee ( for want of a better description ) blocks up and you will after about ( in our case every 10 months or so )need to buy a new one as they are unserviceable .If this was fixed I would give this machine a 10/10 rating

melbourne

Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Simple Is Best

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 18, 2018

I really enjoy the simplicity of this machine. My family members have some extremely over the top bells and whistles coffee machine but this little thing makes coffee just as good in my opinion. It takes up very little space, looks good and is very simple to operate. So long as you use good quality coffee and a little patience to fill the basket correctly, you get very nice results every time.

• 1 review

Date Purchased: Feb 2014

Value for money

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2018

As an entry level machine, I think the unit is excellent value for money. We've had ours for four years and haven't had any major issues, although initially we did have issues with lukewarm coffee but that's because we didn't follow instructions which said you need to let run water through the brewing head first. We had no problems with frothing either - it's great having that function as I am able to make babycinos for my toddler. It definitely met my expectations for what it's worth.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 7 pages

Should it make loud noise and shaking?

John Komaromi asked on Oct 24, 2018

Answer this

If shaking John then may be uneven on bench but yes it does make a rather loud pumping noise.

Hi, My Breville BES250 started spitting coffee and stream out over the filter basket, a quick check showed the seal had torn. I have now replaced the seal solving the spitting coffee problem. However, i now have a second problem, the water no longer squirts through the shower screen like it used to leaving the coffee more like brown tasteless water! The water comes through the shower screen in 2 or 3 constant streams with no real pressure or purpose! its as if the pump is not providing enough force or pressure to drive the water through into a fine spray. Any help, advice or suggestions are most welcome

Grumpyandcoffeeless asked on Aug 25, 2018

Hello, all of a sudden I make my coffee this morning and the coffee comes out of only one of the two holes. It makes the texture of the coffee different. I cleaned everything and don’t understand the reason. Can you help?

Christelle D asked on Jan 31, 2018

Answer this

I would try descaling your machine if you haven't done this for a while. You could also try making sure the head is not blocked. Check that the two holes on the bottom of the handle are not blocked. If all else fails, contact Breville directly

If coffee is only coming out of one side of the filter holder spouts, I can only think of two causes. Either there is a blockage in the channels at the bottom of the filter holder or there is a partial blockage of the hole on the bottom of the filter, causing the coffee to spray to one side. So poke the cleaning tool needle into this hole and also have a close look at the plastic bits inside the filter holder. Or your house might be tipping into a sinkhole so your bench is now sloping to one side!

See all 22 questions about Breville Compact Café BES250