Filter By:

Why Pay More??

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2017

As this was our first time traveling overseas we found it easy to take the policy out with our normal insurer Bupa.I must say that we were shocked after being with Bupa for a very long time,in excess of 20years,to find out that our usual policy would not cover us in Newzealand & that we had to take out another policy & pay more??,we would have thought as a measure of good customer service & due to the amount of time that we have been loyal to Bupa that our normal coverage would have been extended to us free of charge for this two week trip,this more than ever will now make us evaluate our Bupa coverage & look @ other suppliers before renewing the policy for another 12 months.
The same thing happened to us with NRMA after being loyal long term customers we now have all our home & car insurance with Shannons & NRMA continue to send out all sorts of information trying to win back our business,to keep an existing customer is a lot more cost effective than trying to win new customers or get back old ones,
Regards
Alan & Barbara McMaster

Email Response Times

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2017

Policy purchase was easy and straight forward however when I asked for a copy of the policy to be emailed to me while I was overseas it took 7 days for a response.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Rob, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm glad to hear the purchase of your policy was straight forward, but I will be sure to share your feedback to the team on the response t... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
Private message

Travel Insurance for those over seventy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2017

Speak to a Bupa consultant. If one has a pre-existing medical condition and is a long standing Bupa customer, the policy is then not so difficult to put in place. The Bupa website application form is not easy to fill out correctly. It is essential that there be provision for long standing Bupa customers. No claim was made so cannot comment on the customer support.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi John, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we really appreciate it. We’re sorry to hear about the issues you encountered obtaining a quote online, but we're very glad to he... read more »

Thank-you for your reply. Yes, the Bupa consultant I spoke to on the phone was very helpful. For older people with pre-existing medical problems, a person can help, but a computer can't.
John

Buying the travel insurance was easy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

Buying the travel insurance was easy but I didn't have to make a claim so cannot comment on that facet of the insurance. I have pre-existing medical conditions which are accepted as OK but it would have been interesting to see if a claim would have been covered on one of those.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we really appreciate it.

We’re very glad to hear that you had a good experience when taking out your policy and we hope we can assist you again in the future.

I trust BUPA

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

I have arranged my travel insurance through BUPA for the last few trips. There insurance rates are competitive and setting up the insurance is easy. I haven’t had to make a claim but I trust that BUPA have arranged very fair insurance through their provider.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – it's much appreciated.

We’re very glad to hear that you've had good experiences with us and we hope we can assist you again in the future.

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Worst travel insurance

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

This is the worst travel insurance ever, do not use it as they do not help you when overseas... I was stuck in Tanzania pooing blood and they did nothing. I couldn’t contact their phone number, so I sent the info back to family in Australia and they submitted it on my behalf, we had to seek medical advice and get ourselves back to Australia. I am submitting my claim and they better pay up....I will be making a formal complaint to them. Wendy

November 11th 2017 Update: Still waiting for a phone call

I placed a complaint on this page, I received a message asking for my contact details that was five days ago, I’m still waiting for a call to be made to assess my complaint...not happy....

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Wendy, We are very sorry to hear about the experience you have had with Bupa Travel Insurance. I would like to ensure this matter is followed up ASAP – to do this, could you please private me... read more »

I will but could you supply me with your private message details please

Erin I need your message details

Insurance declined

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

Insurance declined, very frustrated as have taken travel insurance out twice this year all good, wanting cover again for a cruise, declined even though I received an email hoping I had a good Holiday and hoping to hear from me again.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Terry, We are very sorry to hear about your unfavourable experience with Bupa Travel Insurance and the issues you have encountered around taking out a policy. If you would like me to arrange a ... read more »

Great value

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2017

Policy was easy to arrange and good value. Paperwork arrived via email and hard copy. Very good service. Not too difficult to answer all the medical questions and of course it is always easy when you are honest

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Shaz,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – it's much appreciated.

Erin

Great value and easy to set up.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2017

Policy was easy to set up and good value for BUPA members. I have never had to make a claim so have no experience in this end of the transaction.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we really appreciate it.

We’re glad to hear that you had a good experience with us and we hope we can assist you again in the future.

Insurance claim made

Was easy to get and worthwhile

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2017

When purchasing the cover I shopped around and looked for value (not just price). BUPA came towards the top of the list so we took it out. The process of applying etc was easy - material came quickly and was understandable - and, in the event, the coverage was great and the claims process both easy and timely (and was positive as we were notified today of the claim being fully accepted). The claims process etc is, of course, CGUs not BUPAs but ... it was really good. We did most by email but phone calls were made and worked well without massive call centre style delays. So ... very positive on the claims process. For information - the claim was made because in the event my wife was suddenly taken ill and couldn't travel - that was right at the time of travel - so much so that our bags were all packed.... Yes some paper work involved and a bit of hassle (not due to CGU) us chasing the Doctor to complete the forms but .. was far better than I suspected it would have been.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Keith, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – it's much appreciated. We're sorry to hear about your wife's illness, but we're glad we could be there to help and happy to hear ... read more »

No cover for Liquidation

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2017

I have been using Bupa travel insurance recently. However I will use others next time. One of the tour providers for my last trip was placed into liquidation 2 days before the scheduled trip despite being accredited by ATAS and AFTA.. The industry accreditation was worthless and Bupa does not cover insolvency. So I am searching for a new travel insurance provider. QBE looks like it might meet my needs but I’m still looking.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Mike, I’m very sorry to hear about your experience and understand it must be disappointing not being able to claim for any loss caused by the tour provider’s insolvency. I will pass on your fee... read more »

Best Insurance for Health, Home, Contents, Car, Travel

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

We've been with BUPA since MBF days. Our family has all its insurance products with BUPA. Great savings with multiple products = unbeatable rates! Also when my dad had cancer, BUPA covered all his hospital costs so my dad could focus on recovering and not stressing about bills.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Nick, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we really appreciate it and we're glad to hear you've had a good experience with us. We're sorry to hear about your dad, but we'r... read more »

Verified Customer

Easy and straight forward. Great value.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

I have been a member since 2009 and I was not even aware Bupa covered travel.
I heard via word of mouth so I called up and I was good to go with travel insurance within 15 minutes.
It was super easy and no fuss a whatsoever. I found it to be excellent value and the customer service, I could not fault. I feel relaxed about my upcoming holiday now it's all taken care of.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Bina, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we really appreciate it. We’re glad to hear that you had a good experience when taking out your policy and we hope we can assist ... read more »

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Travel insurance that doesn't cover valuables while traveling

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Bupa's travel insurance is worthless when it comes to claims. Their policy clearly mentions that electronic items are covered by their non-medical insurance: "14.1: If the policyholder has chosen the Non-Medical Option, the Company shall compensate the insured for the following items belonging to the insured on his/her travel outside his/her country of permanent residence: baggage,
electronic equipment, cash, tickets, credit cards, drivers license, securities and passports."
Yet when I tried to claim for my damaged camera, they have refused to compensate me.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Adrian, We are very sorry to hear about your unfavourable experience with Bupa Travel Insurance and the issues you have encountered around the submission of your claim. If you would like me to ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 answer

Very pleased!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

We are existing health insurance customers and needed travel insurance for our trip to the USA. I have had difficulties in the past, not because I have ever had a claim, but because I have a genetic clotting disorder and many companies will not cover people on Warfarin. I called into the Launceston office, and the staff were very helpful. We did a "practice run" to see if there would be any problems, and there weren't. The online forms were simple to completer at home, and responses and paperwork were received quickly. Fortunately, we have continued not to make a claim, and have no hesitation on in using with Bupa again. Additionally, the cost was actually less that we have been charged by other companies for previous trips.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Deb, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – it's much appreciated. We’re glad to hear that you had a good experience with our team and we hope we can assist you again in the ... read more »

Easy to organise!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Great value. Very easy to set up, as we are Bupa clients any medical issues are already known! Very satisfied, didn't have any claims this time but have once before and the response was immediate.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we really appreciate it. We’re glad to hear that you had a good experience with us and we hope we can assist you again in the fu... read more »

Excellent value even with pre existing conditions. Will use again

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2017

Very good value. Staff very helpful with policy. Didn't need to make any claims but was at ease knowing help was only a phone call away will definitely use again and recommend

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Helen,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – it's very much appreciated and we’re glad to hear you had a good experience with us.

I hope we can assist you again in the future.

Just in Case

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2017

The policy was easy to apply for on-line and set up. I have a pre-existing medical condition it was easy to identify and include in my initial on-line application. The pricing was similar to other travel insurance being offered in the market. I didn't experience any mishaps either to myself, my plans or my luggage, I can't comment on how easy it is to lodge a claim.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Kay, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we really appreciate it. We’re glad to hear that you had a good experience when taking out your policy and we hope we can assist y... read more »

Excellent cover

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2017

After looking at various other insurances we settled on Bupa. Great knowledge and quick over the phone service was a winner. Existing medical issues were no problem and the price was more competitive. Would recommend to anyone.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Ted,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – we greatly appreciate it and we’re glad to hear you had a good experience with us.

I hope we can assist you again in the future.

Quick & Easy with great customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

Found BUPA travel insurance very good value for money. I have a preexisting medical condition that I wanted included in my cover and was given great support in applying for this over the phone. Quick and easy process with PDS & Insurance Certificate provided electronically & via post. Second time we have used BUPA, will definitely use again.

Comments
BUPA Financial Services Official

Hi Gary, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback – it is greatly appreciated. We’re glad to hear that you had a good experience with our team when taking out your policy. I hope ... read more »

1 of 6 pages

This is so funny, the vast majority of the positive comments is about the easy of buying the insurance and paying for it and all of the unhappy customers complain about claiming insurance from Bupa, so why almost no comments prising Bupa for getting the insurance claim paid out without a problem ? ;-)

Eric C asked on Nov 18, 2017

Answer this

That’s because it takes ages for them to pay out. They are for more information which you supply, then they ask for something else. I was supposed to get an email on Friday with my payment details, but sadly it’s Monday arvo and I’m still waiting...won’t be buying this product ever again

Hi can you advise if BUPA cover mountain biking in Canada? Heading there next June for family holiday.

Patrick W asked on Sep 20, 2017

Answer this

I would imagine so. You can go onto the website and check, although I don't remember seeing anything that excluded certain activities. My big concern was health/medical cover; and the questions all related to medical conditions, not what I might be going to do!
Regards,
Deb

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for getting touch with us.

To answer your question, Bupa Travel Insurance does cover cycling, however there are a few things you should be aware of. We will not cover any loss or damage as a result of, or caused by:
- Failure to take reasonable care to avoid accidental injury, including your failure to wear and/or use appropriate safety equipment
- Racing, other than on foot
- Motorcycling, moped riding, or mechanically assisted bicycling without a current Australian motorcycle licence, without a helmet, and if you're not following the local safety laws
- Quad biking
- Any sporting activity for which you receive or are eligible to receive a financial reward
- Abseiling, mountaineering or rock climbing if you need to use climbing equipment

We highly recommend you consider the PDS and speak to one of our travel advisers who can discuss your travel insurance requirements in more detail. Private message me with your contact number and suitable time to call.

Kind regards,
Erin

Is BUPA travel insurance (Basic plan) covers the per-existing conditions?

Sudhir asked on Jul 20, 2017