Wish it was in more places

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2017

It has been so great having Car Next Door in Melbourne. I wish it was in other cities so I wouldn't have to go through other expensive car hire shops.

Verified Customer

Watch out! They charged my credit card twice for the same expense and they provide a terrible custom

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2017

I used to use their services quite often until recently I noticing that I was charged twice for the same car rented. When trying to contact them via email, they take ages to get back to you - when they decide to do so. After a lot of trouble and back and forth, they finally confirmed their mistake. I don't trust this company my credit card anymore.

I'm not using their services anymore. Moving to GoGet now!

Comments
Car Next Door Official

We are really sorry that you were affected by this error - we have investigated and identified the cause of the issue and confirmed that it affected 3 people out of the 55000+ who took a trip this ... read more »

Amazing concept, easy and fun to use!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

Car Next Door is my new favourite way to travel in Sydney! Where else can you hire a convertible with an included Backstreet Boys CD for just $70/day including fuel?! And this one was just a 10 minute walk from my friend's house. BEST! Such a great concept and I recommend it to anyone (who can be respectful of others' property).

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Backstreet's back, OH YEAH! :-) Glad to hear you had a fun trip.

Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2017

I found it very easy to create a booking. Customer service was good...no dramas, bookings were relatively straight
forward. Quality of the cars was good. I was very impressed by one owner who went out of the way to ensure my trip was comfortable and the car in excellent condition.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thanks so much Shirley, we really appreciate your review.

Easy to use and great alternative to owning your own car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2017

Very easy to use service. We wish there were even more cars out there. So far I’ve booked about three times, twice without the same car and they are all in immaculate condition. It is select to select which card you are after and then just rent it for the time needed. It’s much easier than making your way to a car rental place and most importantly, you can rent at any time of the day - There’s no opening hours! Highly recommendable!

Verified Customer

ZERO service once they have you signed up.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2017

First, when I became a member (and leased out my car) their man came and put these horrible stickers all over my car. Apparently, I had not OPTED OUT of something they had in light text in the terms and conditions. Since then, I wait more than 5 days for a reply to an email and there is never anyone live on their "live chat". They are flat out taking the dirt. And their invoicing system is a joke. Hiding the total revenue and only showing you what the 'debit' for that ride was. What the hell does that even mean? If you don't care about any of this stuff then jump on a make some coin, but if you do they are so infuriating.

Update: I got onto their service manager who explained: "the debit column is where the debits are and the credit column is where the credits are". Dead set you have never met a service team with a bigger chip on their shoulder. Every one of them has a smart-aleck comment and tries to push it all back on you. They have a massive cultural problem and their head of membership couldn't give crap about it and clearly engages in it and encourages it. Just horrendous.

• 1 comment
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Be careful - Their fees and penalties are an absolute ripoff.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2017

I hired a 2003 Mitsubishi van last week (2 hours) to move a TV. I had to change the time frame to 6 hours later, there was plenty of free time to book the van. Just clicked the green 'change time' button, done. When I get to the van it was a bit of a bomb. Did the job though. I received the invoice and was shocked. I was charged for the time it took the van but ALSO for the time that I changed (2 hours). The trip lasted 1.5 hours, they added the 2 hours that I changed as a cancellation fee, cost me $45 to do 15kms. $45 to rent a 2003 model van that had seen better days. BEWARE. Check out their penalties and fees BEFORE you do anything. If you do ANYTHING wrong or change ANYTHING you WILL PAY. Will definitely check out GoGet next time.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

You can make changes to your booking within one hour after you make it, or up to 48 hours before the booking starts, without any charge. After that, if you cancel all or part of a booking (includin... read more »

As mentioned. It is meant to be cheap but you have too many restraints and regulations. The van was free for whole days yet I had to pay full price for just changing the times. I DID NOT CANCEL, I ... read more »

Hassle free service for car borrowing and lending

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2017

Car Next Door is an excellent platform for borrowing and lending cars. I have borrowed cars many times now and never once did I face any problem. Right from the time I booked a car through the website till the time I ended my trip and returned the car, it was really easy. The cars offered by the people are in good shape and really easy to drive. You get many options to choose from and all kinds of cars are being offered. Whether you want a small car or a people mover, you can find it on CND. Till now, I have booked cars 13 times from CND and I had to call the customer service just once and they were really helpful. Apart from that one off incidence, the service is so smooth, that there was no need to get in touch with the customer service.

Perfect idea for car sharing

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2017

We are car owner and we think CarNextDoor is the best idea we’ve known about car sharing. We don’t use our 7 seater car very often and we share it with borrowers. It helps covering some of insurance and maintenance expenses and help others to use car at good price. Great idea!

Really great, easy to use, good value for money service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2017

When my husband went away for the weekend, taking our car with him, I decided to give CND a go so I could still go to the gym, netball, shops etc. It was really quick and easy to sign up and there were a couple of options of cars literally round the corner from me.
The booking system was straight forward and the actual process for getting in to the car etc was much easier than I anticipated.
Was it the most luxurious car I've ever driven? No - but it was excellent value and a brilliant option for those that don't have a car of their own. I would highly recommend this service.

Great service, easy to use

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2017

Creating a booking is really easy, customer service has been great. Unfortunately two of the cars that I hired weren't of the best quality. One did not start when I arrived and it had a flat battery so I had to cancel the order and make other arrangements. The owner did however ask for my booking amount to be credited to my account which was great. The only negative was that you still took the $250 and kept it for about 5 days even though I never actually drove the car. The next van I hired really shouldn't still be on the roads, it was so dangerous to drive, felt like it was going to break down, at one point the engine switched off whilst I was sat at a red light and wouldn't switch back on for 5 minutes.

Overall though I have been happy with the service and I have made future bookings and imagine I will continue to do so.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi Rhiannon, sorry that you had those car troubles. Flat batteries can be fixed by Roadside Assist but of course if you are keen to get on your way that's not a solution. With the van though, if yo... read more »

Love it, would choose CND over any rental every time!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2017

Car Next Door was so easy to sign up to and now with the app, even easier to find available cars. Almost every time the cars we choose are left neat and tidy from the rental before. -thanks to owners and past drivers. Great concept!

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

Not even worth one star

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

> How easy was it to create a booking?
didn't get that far - the 3 hour approval thing originally wasn't accepted as my photo was too dark - No one contacted to tell me, I ended up following up with them about what was taking so long... almost 24 hours after submitting (or close to - definitely not the 3 promised)
Sent through another photo -> 24 hours later still can't book a vehicle

> How would you describe their customer service?
To carry on from the above - i contacted Car Next Door ~24hourts after submitting the new photo - i called them, reached there call center in the Philippines - at this stage I really just want to know what the road block is - operator deflects the delay back onto me... to paraphrase "Well this wouldn't have happened if your photo wasn't dark in the first instance" - and really agressive, in all fairness i did start getting mad when i asked "what's the road block?" and couldn't get a straight answer. - like seriously guys, just tell it like it is - if you don't know, just say you don't know.

So now, the item I needed to pick up days ago hasn't moved, and I've now wasted an hour or so of my time.

>What was the quality of the car you received?
I never got that far... I'm sure some people have had good experiences and perhaps my experience wasn't the norm, still - I'm probably just going to goto Bunning's now - I wish everything had of gone differently as I am a fan of the sharing economy.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

That sounds really frustrating - I also wish things had have gone differently. If you can send through your full name then we can follow up by checking why you didn't get the initial email asking f... read more »

Hi, Send through my name to where exactly??? Surely not up on this public forum? Mate, I don't care what you do. I'm not sure how listening to an audio recording and training your staff helps m... read more »

Great idea, incredibly easy to use

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

Have now rented 4 different cars through car next door and each time the experience was great. Searching for, booking, locating and returning cars was quick and easy, the price is amazing and the initiative is long over due in my opinion. Highly recommend.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thanks Liam, really appreciate the recommendation!

Love it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

Booking was easy. Reasonable pricing and very convenient. I love the idea that anyone can make money off this vs supporting a massive corporation. The car is also conveniently located in your neighbourhood and even just up your street. No need to get to a main office or premises.

Great service. Recommended

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

They are a great team, good service. Easy. No hassles. Good to have insurance at decent rates, and GPS tracking, and cost recovery on my car. I recommend this service to others. Why have your car sit idle - get it earning! I've had almost no damage to my car other than normal expected. Also, when an accident occurred (not a renter), their sorted the insurance promptly. All good.

Really great idea.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2017

Very. Very good. Both ok. First car pretty grubby. Second was older and things such as USB charger didn’t work. Some other cars I’ve seen but not used appear to be in much better condition, so I’d say it appears a bit overpriced at $8/hr. Saying that, it’s only a small difference

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

More expensive than a hire car

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

The total cost was $83 for 1 day and driving 150 Kms. If I hired a car through a well known co. it would have cost me about $60 which would have included topping up fuel.
The car was a 2012 model compared to hire cars which are the latest model and it was very dirty and worn inside and out.
The convenience of picking it up close to my home was good, but overall you get ripped off on the distance charge of $.33 per km.
Would never use one again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Car Next Door Official

There are some trips when it's cheaper to get a rental car, but for most trips (and particularly over peak times like summer holidays) it's cheaper to rent a local car. We've done some cost compari... read more »

Convenient and economical

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

Once you've signed up as a member it's really simple to book a car for however long you want. There's a great variety of cars available. From a little running around hatchback to cruising the coast convertibles. You don't have to deal with the owner or any slimy sales person who tries to get you to pay for any added extras. But if you do need to talk to someone the customer service staff are happy to help without putting you on hold for hours. You simply book, pick up the car and enjoy. And if you're going to be late back then extending your booking is easy too.
Overall it's an easy, cheap way of hiring a quality car without any fuss.

Verified Customer

Easy, cheap, just around the corner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

I ought to have used this mode of transport sooner! It is very easy to book, drive and return cars, and it's more convenient and close by than rental companies, and cheaper too. And makes sense too: why have cars wasting space, and why not reduce the number of cars on the road? I sold my own car and just rent one when I on rare occasion need one.

1 of 24 pages

Hi, What happens when the fuel becomes almost nil while driving long distances? Do we need to refuel it and how does it get adjusted?

Pun asked on Jul 30, 2017

Hi Pun,
If a Borrower needs to refuel, they pay using the fuel card located in the car glove box, at most major petrol stations. They don't pay for the fuel - the owner pays for it. The cost of fuel is included in the 33c/km that Borrowers pay when they drive.

Is it possible to rent a specific make of vehicle? Can it be done as a one off only?

Cin asked on Jul 25, 2017

Answer this

Yes, there are a lot of makes of vehicle available through the platform - just use www.carnextdoor.com.au/search to find the one you want. You can rent as a one-off, but you will need to join online first (it's free and fast).

What if return the car earlier than expected?

Samir asked on Feb 03, 2017

Answer this

Hi Samir, if you return the car early, you will still be charged for the rest of the time (the unused time in your booking). This is because the owner has missed out on the opportunity to rent the car to someone else, or may have made alternative transport arrangements expecting their car not to be available. However, if you end your booking early and someone then rents it, you won't be charged for that part of the time. For example, if you booked for Saturday and Sunday, but returned it early on Saturday afternoon, and then another member booked it for Sunday, you would not have to pay for the Sunday. Hope this makes sense!

See all 7 questions about Car Next Door