Deceiving cancellation information

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2017

I booked a car for from 17:15 13/10/2017 to 16:00 14/10/17 but got into unforeseen circumstance that I did not need the car anymore. I read cancellation policy about cancel early to recoup money when someone re-books car then decided to cancel early a few hours after booking. The car was re-booked between 9:15-13:30 on 14/10/17 which is almost enough to cover one day rate (5 hours). At the end I was still charged one day rate. Rochelle CND support says I'm charged for The time between 17:15 13/10/2017 and 09:45 14/10/2017 (16 hours and 30 minutes). Clearly there is zero chance that I could re-coup any money. If someone re-book for 8 hours within my booking time, I would still get charged full day rate cancellation fee. I understood their cancellation policy if there is a rebook, it could get some credit from the re-book payment. "Cancelling the booking in advance gives you an opportunity to recoup money if another member books the vehicle"
P/s: car owner confirmed with me on 19/10/2017 that he did not receive any money from my cancelled booking.

Great app for rare car use!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2017

Car next door has been great for last minute moments when we needed to move or pick up furniture etc. I rarely need a car so a system that doesnt need a monthly fee etc is great for me, I just pay for the trips that I use. The app is easy to use and there is a lot of flexibility on the options for the search. On the whole the cars have been older but it has never bothered me and proce wise its really cheap, even for longer weekend trips it compares to the bigger car hire companies. The best part is just having the convenience to use a car that is near where I live instantly!

Such a handy service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2017

I find this service one of the easiest and quickest ways to get about. I tend to book for shopping trips or beach days! There is always a car within a 10 minute walk and the cars are always kept in good conditions, clean and tidy. The only thing that is frustrating is the deposit hold. Other than that I would fully recommend using!

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi Amy, so glad to hear that you have been enjoying it! We place a $250 hold for your first two trips only, so after a couple of trips there is no deposit to worry about. Hope you have many more fun beach days this summer :-)

Verified Customer

Brilliant way to stop your car going to waste

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

We have our car listed on Car Next Door and sometimes use another car down the road from someone else. Borrowers are almost always very good to the car and the few times we've had an issue, CND were very helpful in taking care of it.

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

Not a bad company

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

The bookings were easy, apart from a mechanical issue and a dirty car, it's quite helpful in times of need, customer service went above and beyond, it was frustrating when a car I borrowed had mechanical issues, the last review I wrote, I was very frustrated, just like anything, it's not perfect and it's a well thought out system, probably won't find better customer service from other rental companies, they will work go above and beyond with any issues you have, within reason, for future reference, best to take photos of the speedometer before and after you finish driving.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thanks Chris - we really hate it when a good community member like you has a bad experience. You got excellent reviews from the car owners, even though you were dealing with this frustrating situa... read more »

Thanks, I really appreciate it, if the time calls for it again, i'll give it a shot, I understand break downs happen, I was very happy with the service from you guys and the car owner.

Very handy and easy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

All good. The quality of the car was what I expected. As is often the case with anything new, the first time was the hardest (although it was not very hard). The second time was a breeze. I will definitely use the service again.

Verified Customer

Fantastic concept, and reality!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

Car Next Door is a solid, viable reason not to own a car for the foreseeable future.
I've used Car Next Door for a couple of months now, and love it!
I use it once a week to do my weekly grocery shop and run errands. For a very small amount of money, I get everything I need to do, done. I'm insured, and fuel is covered.

Booking via the app is super easy. The experience is really pleasant. I'd recommend (and have done so quite a bit) this to many people who live a similar lifestyle to mine. Car Next Door fits in perfectly.

Happy to say the least.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2017

I rent my car to you. The quality, service and care, are good. Other than having to wait for my petrol-card, it had been around a couple of months, effortless!

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thanks Kumar, and apologies that the fuel card has taken so long to get to you! It is supplied by a third party and they can sometimes be a bit slow. In the meantime, your borrowers can pay for fuel and we'll arrange a refund. Happy sharing!

So easy and convenient

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2017

I’ve been using Car Next Door for a while now and it’s really easy to use and good for people with no own cars. Pricing is also reasonable for short distance trips. Highly recommend!

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thanks Nea, we're really happy to hear that!

• 4 helpful votes

Terrible experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

I've been driving for 17 years with an unblemished record, only an interstate speeding fine from 7-8 years ago. I made an application for these guys as a borrower as I don't have my own car. I waited two days and was asked to call them, where they made me wait longer, then just asked my name and address, and then said there was no problem and I would get a response the next day. But then I got an email within 5mins saying your application was 'declined', with no reason given why or further explanation.

I called up and they wouldn't say anything, like they were too embarrassed to discuss why. This never happened before and is really strange, its like they don't want business! Usually this only happens for those who have criminal conviction on their driving record. At least provide an explanation and why they would make you wait and call them up, for no reason whatsoever.

Also note a friend of me did this as a lender with CND...if your car gets involved in an accident, only then will they bring out the fine print and tell you its not their responsibility and to arrange the financial compensation yourself with the borrower. So despite paying fees to them, its still not much different to just doing it yourself on the street. Be forewarned!

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi - Matt Higgs, correct? Because members get access to real people's cars, we have a strict membership review process and part of it involves us having a conversation with you and getting a feel f... read more »

Convenient and Well Designed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

Car Next Door is a well thought out service which makes the process of renting a car much easier than traditional car rental services, while still ensuring security for both the car owner and the renter. It is also MUCH cheaper than traditional car rental companies which is a huge bonus. Extending times and booking system is also very easy and quick to organise. Whenever I tell my friends they're amazed at the level of simple automation as well. You never need to meet the driver unless you want to because the app handles it all! Well done to a small Aussie team for such an innovative product!

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thank you so much! Really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Good & bad elements to the service

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

I got to Brisbane & a rental I had booked fell through. I needed to get to rainbow beach urgently, so booked a car next door.

Managed to collect & return the vehicle with ease. It's a good service if you want something quickly!

However, on booking I checked and checked again the amount, it was not made clear to me that in fact you pay this amount and then 33 cents per km. So make sure you check & use the calculator when booking. I had a big bill shock, my booking which I thought would be $186 was $340 - WAY MORE than I thought, and way more than if I had booked with a normal rental car company. (you would assume car next door would be more cost effective)

My initial interaction with customer service when I rang was not good, the agent was rude to me. However, since I have been contacted by Carnextdoor and have been spoken to in a helpful and respectful manner.

I might use car next door again, I will just have to make sure I use the full price estimate/distance calculator so as to not be surprised with extra charges.

Verified Customer

Easy to use and variety of vehicles - handy for moving too

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2017

I've used this service to rent a van on two occasions (different van's each time) to move some furniture and its super easy and convenient. If you buy something late at night and need to transport it you can just find a van and get it sorted. No need to go through rental companies and you can usually find something local. The website is easy to use from a mobile phone too - just make sure you read the member agreements and understand the service - its different from a car rental company (also watch out where you park when you return the car).

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thanks so much for the review and those tips - you're right, it all runs smoothly but each car is different so it's important to read the instructions and know where to return the car. Happy travels!

Verified Customer

Great concept for owners who rarely use their car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2017

Great system, great community concept and the team is working hard to create a product that benefits the wider community. It's important to remember that these are people's cars and not cars from a hire company so they won't be as clean as something from one of the Thriftys or Avis' of the world. Much cheaper and the money goes back into the community rather than these large multinationals. A start-up company that is receptive to feedback and is continuously improving the services offered.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Thank you so much Nicholas - we have really appreciated you being part of the community for so long! Best wishes from the team here.

It's cool and easy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2017

Now to borrow a car is as easy as ordering fast food!
I can choose cars from my neighbours or just pick a coolest car! Even a sport car or a convertible!

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Car broke down and was left dealing with it for a further week

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

My car broke down after only having it for a few days. It took hours to sort out the problem in QLD because it happened to be a public holiday in NSW and the call centre is based in Sydney. I was late for my sisters wedding so I had to go with Avis car rental service. The broken down car then sat there for days with no one coming to sort it out. I finally had to fly back to Melbourne and just leave the keys in an unlocked car. It still took a few days after I returned to VIC to sort this whole thing out. Car next door's approach was to just connect me to the owner of the car and we can sort out the issue. Eventually after having to deal with the owner of the car over several annoying phone calls the matter was finally settled. No follow up phone calls from car next door and no insensitive or reasonable compensation for the drama. I wouldn't recommend this service if you need a reliable service both in cars and in customer service

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi Wil.M., if there is ever a mechanical issue that can't be repaired by the free roadside assistance service on the spot then we would generally arrange a tow and compensate you for any cost you i... read more »

Roadside assist did come to check the car, they said it needed to be towed. Car next door said the policy is that it's up to the car owner's decision to when and where it gets towed. The car owner ... read more »

Verified Customer

Brilliant if you don't have a car!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2017

Carnextdoor is super easy to use and give you the option to rent a range of cars at a great price. So far I've rented two different cars multiple times and it's been a great experience both times. The cars are always clean and reliable and I feel comfortable driving them through the city when I'm running errands. It's a fantastic platform to use if you only need a car from time to time.

Changes the way I live in the city, at less cost

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2017

Car Next Door is very user friendly and I always find a car close by, within a 10 minute walk. I've had a couple of issues with app but the website is easy to use so it hasn't been a problem. The cars are always clean and tidy. It makes it very easy for to run errands or get out of the city for a hike, without the hassle and cost of owning my own car.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

That's wonderful to hear, thank you!

Seriously awesome customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

Sadly while using Car Next Door I was involved in an accident :( really scary and I was totally shaken up. I called to report it and get guidance, Britt from customer service was SO AMAZING! She calmed me down, explained everything I needed to do, contacted the car's owner, organized a tow, and literally made me feel supported. Her kindness even extended to a follow up call the next day to check in how I was - on a Sunday no doubt her day off. This company goes above and beyond and I am so grateful to Britt for helping me with first class customer service in a scary situation. Thank you to Car Next Door for employing real people, not robots! Thankfully no one was hurt and cars can be replaced. The owner was also incredibly underatanding as well. Highly recommend this company, creating a great service for the community!

Comments
Car Next Door Official

So glad to hear you're safe Janel, and thank you for sharing these kind words - we'll pass them on to Britt.

Better Than Good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

I won't sugarcoat anything here, you can prove it yourself. To be honest, at first, I'm not very convinced that borrowing other people's car can be this easy. Carnextdoor not only gives an easy way to borrow a car, they also facilitate all you need to rent a car with less fuss at a competitive price (you can compare it yourself!). I'm surprised how they come up with a thorough idea like this, intuitive website to make booking, easy step-by-step guide when borrowing a car (reminder, card for fuel, lockbox,extend booking, damage check, etc.). You can choose car type according to your need. You don't need to worry about rego, insurance, or maintenance cost. All round excellent experience for me.

1 of 23 pages