• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Rude, unprofessional and trip spoilers

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2018

Stay as far away as possible from these folks or else risk ruining your entire plan / holidays!
Booked a car (Hyundai iMax) on September 29 2018 to be used between Dec 22 2018 to Jan 6 2019. Today (December 17), decided to remind the car owner that he needs to fix a child seat for our trip as requested and agreed upon at the time of booking.

I am now being told that the booking was actually cancelled sometime back in October! Supposedly an e-mail was to be sent to me for this cancellation. Ofcourse, an e-mail was never received and one of the members, from the support staff, even confirmed that a glitch in the system caused the e-mail notification mess up.

On top, I am being told that no alternate arrangements can be made for the period of the original request; though the FAQ clearly states:
--> If you cancel a booking, then:
"we will need to find alternative transport for the Borrower; and"

The manager of the support staff says that you should have had a "PLAN B" for this booking as this was so important for you. Seriously!
To my amusement I got an e-mail a few minutes ago that a driving credit of $65.00 has been topped up in my account that can be used for the next booking!! WoW! I am not letting you ruin any plans of ours ever again. Pathetic!

You guys know how to royally fuq up plans and holidays!
Thank you Car Next Door for this memorable experience.

Verified Customer

Cancelled Booking - No Notification - No Alternatives!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2018

--> If you cancel a booking, then:
"we will need to find alternative transport for the Borrower; and"

You guys know how to royally fuq up plans and holidays!
Thank you Car Next Door for this memorable experience.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi Naren, we're really sorry for the disruption to your plans. The car that you booked was taken off the platform in October, and all members with an upcoming booking were emailed with notice of th... read more »

So your staff members just lie and make up stuff when they need to, like about the system glitch here? Good to know! Could you forward that e-mail (not write another e-mail, but forward the orig... read more »

Melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Unhelpful, rude and discriminatory

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2018

Applied to join 12months ago and was declined WITHOUT reason. Contacted CND and was told “they were unable to disclose their reason as this may expose their internal procedures to possible fraud”!?!

My partner ( is a member ) and I were trying to plan a 10 day trip interstate to spend Christmas with family and although he had no problem in securing and paying for a vehicle, I was unable to be included as an additional driver “due to my previous failed application”. My partner and I questioned the grounds upon which my application had been declined and after much to and fro’ing, were eventually told it was due to a credit default on my Credit History something which I knew nothing about until being told 1 week out from our trip. It would appear that Car Next Door assess drivers based not on their driving record (mine is good, as indicated by RACV who approved my membership for Car Share this week) but solely on a questionable Credit History check which has yet to be proven and confirmed. Merry Christmas Car Next Door, you’ve made mine miserable, thanks for nothing!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Fantastic way to get around.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2018

Customer service is great. They cover everything you need to know in the first few emails you get and when you sign up for the app.

The payment and bond were handled fine. No delay in receiving bond back or getting payment settled.

The vehicles I have used have always been the ones I’ve booked and in great condition.

I’ve used the vehicles to do basic errands and one was to drive the great ocean road! Fantastic experience with both and excited to use more frequently.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Great to hear that - hope you enjoyed your Great Ocean Road trip! Thank you so much Alayne for taking the time to share your thoughts.

highly recommended service!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

We've used a car next door van to collect furniture. We've also used a car next door large SUV to collect friends from the airport. Car next door has allowed us to remain as a one car family without inconvenience. The process is simple, well priced and user friendly. The cars have never been more than a couple of streets away. A highly recommended product!!

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Do not use this service as a borrower

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

I warn you: this is the worst possible car sharing service to use in Australia. I hired a car for two hours and the car was scratched while it was parked. CND have iron clad terms and conditions that serve only to protect and benefit the car owner and themselves. The scratch was tiny and the car owner has claimed repairs in the thousands. As a borrower you are liable to cover excess and receive little to no updates on your insurance claim and the entire process of recpuing your excess can take up to year. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!!!!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi Sammy, the driver is responsible (up to their chosen excess) for any damage that happens while they have the car - this is understandably frustrating if you didn't cause the damage, but it would... read more »

Win for users, Win for lenders, Win for society!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

Excellent service, prompt response. Ease of use. I use it whenever I need a car and it can be addictive. People make money out of their idle cars, People who need it use it so its a win for everyone. Only if they could lower the per km charge of $ 0.33 it would make their service would be almost perfect.

BAD Customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

I have used car next door for years without issue. During the hire period of one car we borrowed, a small dent was caused by another car during while the car we borrowed was parked. After the photo exchange, we were advised that because the damage was caused during our booking period, then we were liable. Ok, that's fine I suppose, as it is impossible for them to prove whether a parked car caused the damage or us. The customer service from the damage team is really appalling however. The staff member assigned to our case was unresponsive to our questions, repeatedly called my partner by the wrong name (her name was right there in the email?!), gave us absolutely no information or clarity regarding the process of damage claims, set up a payment plan and gave us the wrong first payment date and the wrong payment frequency, resulting in emails from their accounts department telling us we were defaulting on our payments. When we expressed that we expected fortnightly payment of the minimum amount they were able to offer, we were told that the minimum was $200 per month but they then set up $200 payments per fortnight, with no explanation as to why. As we have been experiencing financial hardship, we expressed that to the staff member following up on our payments. This staff member did not explain that they had then changed our payment amount to $100 a month, but instead just responded with a curt email stating that our next payment of $100 was due in a month and we had to "make sure there are no lapses in payment". Condescending, unclear, inept communicators, confusing process (though the last one would have been remedied with some communication) - these are the words I'd use to describe our final experience with cnd. It's such a shame because it's a great platform for borrowing, however I think we will be using other services from now on, because if something happens to go wrong, it's just too difficult to deal with the people working there. The damage amounted to over $1000 too, for a tiny dent. Actually, the largest charge was the removal and reapplication of the carnextdoor stickers, ridiculously. The actual repair to the bumper was much less than this humongous charge. They also tried to charge us for towing to and from the repairer. FOR A TINY DENT! Luckily we picked up on it, but it's really something they should be on top of. It's kind of laughable in a way.
The manager did acknowledge via email that our case was initially mishandled, so that was a start. If they're so loaded with damage cases though, as they claim at the bottom of their emails, perhaps hire more staff? And also give them some decent customer service training and make sure they can actually communicate with clarity and compassion. It'd also be great if their only phone call window was not a measly 1hr in the middle of a work day, so everything is dragged out via email for weeks on end. Just a few suggestions.

Verified Customer

I'm loving this and don't need my own car at all now

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

Closer than a rental company to pick up the car. Cheaper. Nicer. Pick up any hour. No fuel to worry about. Good all round.

Need it done fast

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Well here I am again few items to be moved quickly
No better place to go then car next door same day and cheap

Convenient and great!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Have had a very positive experience with car next door since our car was totalled a couple of months ago. Easy, convenient and good quality. Only got a little taken by surprise at the distance cost (doesn't break the bank) and the two deposit holds (being with combank means 30 days not 5)
Otherwise totally recommend and will be using again!

Verified Customer

CarNextDoor makes city life pleasant while not owning a car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

My wife and I recently moved to inner Brisbane after living in Europe without a car. People told us that would be impossible here. But public transport and cycle paths are not bad. And for those special occasions - visiting relatives on acreage, buying furniture - CarNextDoor is perfect. There are always several nearby. Smooth and predictable. The convenience of a car when necessary, without the hassle and expense of owning one.

easy peasy !!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

I used the vehicle for some basic running about. The car was easy to find via Google maps, the car was in excellent condition. The Car next Door APP works well, there's plenty of vehicles to choose from for my next adventure.

It’s great if you park your car close to home

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

You must check you car regularly, if you don’t like I did it can mean scratches and didn't go unnoticed and they have a thirty day window for damage claims. The app is a little clunky and not up to the same scratch as say AirBnB. However in general every month I made money from renting my car out, after petrol and insurance.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi Fabian, thanks for your review. We're planning a new app feature where owners can see the borrowers' before and after-trip photos as soon as they're taken, to make it easier to check your car be... read more »

Congratulations Car Next Door

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

One very clever idea and very well executed. I'm only upset that I did not think of it :-). Apart from the well designed application there are real people at the other end of the phone. All my dealings have left us well satisfied with response and handling of questions. The cars have been as advertised. I recommend the service.

KENSINGTON

• 2 comments
  • 2 helpful votes

Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

I had my car with CND for a couple of years. It sustained considerable damage during this time. it is hard to check the vehicle before and after every booking, esp as many borrowers only give 15 mins notice of bookings and they change them constantly. Borrowers have to take before and after photos but CND don't share them with owners.
I removed the car from the platform and decided to sell it. I spent all the income i received to get the car repaired. It wasn't in immaculate condition when i placed it on the platform - normal wear and tear, but was very beaten up at the end of it. i had to replace two tyres to get a roadworthy. 1 had a chunk out of it (driven up a gutter) and another had evidence of being driven whilst flat. I reported both to CND and got a 'we'll look into it' response. That was August and I'm still waiting. I also approached CND about some compensation/insurance for the considerable damage. A week later they sent a response advising they were busy but 'would look into it'. I responded with an offer. I've never received a reply to either the investigation or the offer. I like the concept of CND but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The borrowers have no respect for your car and CND doesn't take an active role in caring for the car either, they just ask you to provide evidence.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Car Next Door Official

Hi Diane, sounds like there are some crossed wires, as our damage team sent an email to you in response to your request for compensation in September. We're just waiting on your photos of the damag... read more »

Too little, too late. How interesting that you now send this email, which i never got and was a month after my email by which time the car was repaired and sold. As usual, you didn't offer any phot... read more »

Car Next Door Official

Hi Diane, to clarify, I just forwarded an email that was sent to you and not responded to, rather than start any new action. We have one damage report from you in December 2016, and our investigati... read more »

It's an amazing idea.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

The vehicle was the same one that I booked and the customer service of Car Next Door is pretty good.

Excellent, super useful service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2018

I needed to use a van to help me move, and Car Next Door is so much cheaper, easier and more convenient than so many other options. Made moving very easy and affordable. Will definitely be using Car Next Door in the future and recommending to friends!

No sense of responsibility

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

I have had an abandoned smashed CND vehicle outside my house for last 6 weeks. Now due to another accident it's been in its blocking my driveway. CND taking their sweet time to get it removed- over 48 hours in fact. So in six weeks they have done nothing. I believe the owner of the vehicle is overseas travelling. I wouldn't trust my car to this company!!

Great Idea

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2018

CND is easy to use and is the way to go in car sharing. The cars have been good and it's so convenient to pick up from your own suburb. Read all the info first, so you have a better knowledge base when you book your first car. FAQ is comprehensive.

1 of 44 pages

I've tried to list Audi Q7 2017 which value is above $50.000 but I wasn't able to go ahead due to the value of the car been above $50.000. You will not accept card above $50.000 value? Is there any other option?

Mario K asked on Nov 24, 2018

Answer this

That's correct, unfortunately for insurance reasons, we can't accept cars that are valued over $50,000.

Hi, for driving to Ballarat from Melbourne city. Will it be cheaper to just rent from big companies or carnextdoor?

Zozabu asked on Nov 08, 2018

Answer this

Car next door will charge you per hour/day plus kilometres, you'd be better off with a big company

It depends on how long you will have the car for, your age, excess reduction, additional drivers and fuel costs. Check out this article to help work it out for your trip: https://support.carnextdoor.com.au/hc/en-gb/articles/360000888806-When-is-Car-Next-Door-cheaper-than-a-hire-car-

Hi Car Next Door. I am an owner and the installation should have happened a week ago, but the technician didn't have any chains to attach Fred to my house. I was told that CND would be in touch to rebook. That has not occurred. I have called your company twice and I haven't had a response. I have made an enquiry on Facebook this morning (very nicely I might add) and it has been deleted!! Can you PLEASE contact me so that we can finalise this? So far I am horribly disappointed with your customer service.

Amy Leighton asked on May 24, 2018

Answer this

Hi there, you may be sorely disappointed here also I’m afraid. I’d love to help but you’ve gotten through to a customer of car next door as opposed to the company themselves.

Hi Amy, I'm really sorry for the delay in getting your car live - our installation team has responded separately by phone. I can see that your car is now live and about to go out on its first booking - thank you for your patience with getting started.

These guys are a nightmare - definitely don’t do business with them. They actually harass you for stating you are “not satisfied” you are given a selection of satisfied or not satisfied with their customer service. Have a look at my review where he demanded I change my review. They have this weird approach to owners and customers.

See all 17 questions about Car Next Door