Great value,

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2018

Easy to book and set up, the vehicle was perfect for what I needed and it feels good using someone’s car that wold have otherwise just been sitting there. Much better value than a hire car.

Super Convenient!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

Using Car Next Door has been a simple and convenient experience. Having now used the service multiple times, the booking, location, access, operation and return via the app were seamless. I would highly recommend CND to those who have not tried this service!

Its a great service and will use it again

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

Creating a booking is easy, getting the car and the customer service have been really efficient or good. The only thing to say is one of the cars I booked stink of cigarette, which was disgusting. The Car Next Door people confirmed there is a no smoking policy in all shared cares and owners of shared cars are not allowed to smoke in their cars, but obviously someone has gone away with it and left a stinky car for us. It requires users to be very conscious of the fact that they are sharing and respect all rules.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

I'm really sorry to hear that you found a car smelling of smoke - we encourage everyone to report smoke smells so that we can find and ban anyone who smokes in a car, as you're right, it creates a bad experience for other users.

Very convenient and a great experience!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2018

Let me put down a few words to explain why I found this service great:

1. I live close to the city and work there so don't need a car most times in the week, but there are times when I feel like I should buy one - in comes Car Next Door, for those times when you need a car just a few times a month.
2. The booking process is super easy through the app and is pretty seamless.
3. Locating the car and unlocking it is awesome too!
4. The extension of the car process is simple and really quick through the app.
5. Return of the car is really easy and convenient too.

Once you use the service twice, they stop holding the $250 deposit, so there is no commitment, except the time and distance cost.

Verified Customer

DIYer without a ute...no longer a problem!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2018

Car Next Door is a great idea.
It's simple to book a car, ute or van.
As a DIYer occasionally I need to get building materials, and Car Next Door is a convienient affordable way to get the job done.

Verified Customer

Super easy and cheaper than mainstream car hire service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2018

Setting up your account is super easy, booking a car/van is even easier it. I was a little nervous my first car pick up but the app is very clear and simple. It has easy step by step instructions and they pretty much have thought of everything. Great service use it regularly now.

Super handy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

Process from securing a booking to wrapping up your trip is super easy and straight forward. Lots of support where needed.

Easy to book and drive away

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

Great to have excellent owner written description for each car. Booking with the app not complicated. While the check list for finding, unlocking, checking over the vehicle, driving away, finishing the booking is lengthly it is helpful and easy to follow. Reassuring to have a link to contact the owner as well as Car Next Door. Bottom line, took me a long time between signing up with Car Next Door and my first bookings, but will definitely use Car Next Door vehicles again in the coming months.

Such a great and useful concept!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2018

Booking is easy and within 20 mins I had booked the car, was in the car and driving away! Perfect car hire situation without all the unnecessary paperwork!

Simple, smart and effective

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2018

Very easy to use and the system is clever and safe. Great way to rent a car at a low cost :) I super recommend it ;)

Reasonable and convenient car rental next door!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

It is a very convenient service. Very interesting idea. Being new to Melbourne this came in really handy to me. I did not have to go far to find a rental car place. Just download the app and you can do a booking and take the car. With a reasonable fees and you have a car at your convenience. If you are looking for car which will take you from one place to another, not very fancy, one should really try this service.

Verified Customer

Uberization of car rental service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

Very easy to book and the app guide you in every steps of the way from providing accurate location of the car, location of the lockbox, until how to return the car. However, always review the car details before you rent it. Highly recommended!

My car has been write-off during a rental =(

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

My car’s engine was damaged due to constant driving with low oil pressure. That happened on the 5th day of rental in which the borrower drove over 600 km.

Since the event, I have been insisting that CND should consider that it is expected that the driver shouldn’t drive the car with warning lights on as it is stated in the CND policy. Although, there was no negotiation.

Be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time and stress if you have an issue. It a business in which policies are built in a way that they won’t have any obligations towards the car owners.

If you are interested in the details of my experience, the short version of a long story is:

My disappointment with CND started on the day I received a phone call informing that my car had its engine damaged during a rental and that it would cost me over $5,000 dollars.

Just because I questioned the situation CND then forwards me an email from the mechanic whom my car had been towed too informing that the major engine damage was caused due to constant driving with low oil pressure.

I then questioned that if there was low-pressure oil/oil level it would have been expected a warning light on the dash and that the driver should not have driven the car further. This is stated in the in the CND policy.

The correspondence that follows from CND includes a superficial statement and an unreliable test to prove that there would not be a light on at the moment of the incident, thus, that it wasn’t the driver's responsibility. CND didn’t even consider the opposite.

From that moment we started down a rabbit hole from hell as I lost days of work, nights of sleep and lot of energy to consult with several different mechanics to understand what happened myself.

I requested my car to be sent to a new mechanic for an in-depth investigation to clarify what had actually happened to my car.- It is appreciated that CND paid for the towing.

The new mechanic fully disassembled the engine, provided photos, a report and tested the low oil pressure warning system finding it function normally. He also found that the onboard computer had diagnostic codes present that indicated the engine warning light would have been illuminated prior to the major engine damage. CND didn’t take into consideration the reports provided.

It made me wonder if that it was because the reports from the mechanic 2 supported the theory that a light could have been on and the driver should not have driven at per CND policy.

A new opinion based report was provided by CND by a mechanic 3 who didn’t even see the car.

The outcome is that there was no oil in the car, thus it’s my responsibility. I completely agree that it’s my responsibility to maintain the car, I even provided a recent receipt of a 1l top up oil that was partly used to top up the car days before the start of the booking.

CND states it does not take sides and that is impartial. In fact, the company was constantly trying to close the investigation.

All I wanted was to understand what happened in the events that resulted in the write-off of my car. If I hadn’t pressured for this information then I would had paid this $5,000 bill on that very first day. At the very least anyone in a similar situation should seek a second opinion. They were satisfied with shallow and unreasonable report to prove that I had to deal with the loss of my car alone.

I still think it’s reasonable to expect that a borrower doesn’t drive my car if there’s a warning light on, this is supported by the CND policy.

If the conclusion is that it can’t be proven that the light was on and thus the driver should not have driven the car further. It is also not proved that there wasn’t a light on.

Thus all this very confusing investigation should be declared inconclusive. In this case, I’d expect CND to share the cost of my loss at a minimum. This would be $2.500. While this is not a large representative amount for a big company like car next door, it is for me who worked hard to buy a car and thought to be doing something good by sharing with my community.

Comments
Car Next Door Official

[Comment Removed at Car Next Door's Request]

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, I believe that you are confusing my case with a different one. Lets start with the fact that information that the borrower drove 642.3 km came from ... read more »

Cheaper alternative to commercial car rentals

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2018

Easy to book and I got excellent assistance on my first car when I can’t open the lock. It also helped that the owner emailed me a day before I picked up the car. The second car I got was a bit old. Maybe you should not list cars older than 10 years.

Perfect but...

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2018

The Van was perfect but one of the back doors did not open and we need to call the owner. Eith the help of a tool we manager to open it... it should have been explained though.

Customer service and booking process was easy and simple!

I recommend car next door

Verified Customer

Pleasantly surprised how easy it all is

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2018

Currently an owner of a ute on the platform and have had it used multiple times in the past 3 months. Definitely a positive influence on reducing the need for others to own multiple vehicles for the what if's of life.

The best way to move!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2018

Booking was easy and cheaper than posting the job on Airtasker. I was always able to find a conveniently located van or ute a the last minute.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Review

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

Drove a car and the key was broken.. tapped together
Key broke while i had it booked out
Called car next door they said take car back to original location
How would you like me to do this if a key is broken???
Had to extend my trip while i waited for car next door to deal with the situation. Was stuck with a car away from home

The solution was so unhelpful

Very expensive, better to hire a car

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Car Next Door Official

We're so sorry that you had this frustrating experience Anna - the car key has been repaired now and your account credited to make up for the wasted time. The owner should have been aware that the ... read more »

This was a live saver for us!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2018

Starting up was amazingly easy. Just fill up your details & a couple of pictures after, and you are ready for your first hire.
This car share saved my life. I’m a mother of two toddlers who needed a car hire every now & then.
The car was always clean and ready and picking it up is easy. Just follow the instructions and off you go. My kids thought it was so cool that we were driving different cars each time.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

I like the idea and cost but the parking options should be clearer

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2018

The two times I have used car next door the only thing that causes me anxiety is the parking instructions. The first car was parked at a caltex with no clearly signposted bay, and the second was street parking with no signposted car part, whereas with Go get the parks are always clearly indicated.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 38 pages

Hi Car Next Door. I am an owner and the installation should have happened a week ago, but the technician didn't have any chains to attach Fred to my house. I was told that CND would be in touch to rebook. That has not occurred. I have called your company twice and I haven't had a response. I have made an enquiry on Facebook this morning (very nicely I might add) and it has been deleted!! Can you PLEASE contact me so that we can finalise this? So far I am horribly disappointed with your customer service.

Amy Leighton asked on May 24, 2018

Answer this

Hi there, you may be sorely disappointed here also I’m afraid. I’d love to help but you’ve gotten through to a customer of car next door as opposed to the company themselves.

Hi Amy, I'm really sorry for the delay in getting your car live - our installation team has responded separately by phone. I can see that your car is now live and about to go out on its first booking - thank you for your patience with getting started.

These guys are a nightmare - definitely don’t do business with them. They actually harass you for stating you are “not satisfied” you are given a selection of satisfied or not satisfied with their customer service. Have a look at my review where he demanded I change my review. They have this weird approach to owners and customers.

How often do you put a 10-day hold ? I have been using the application for a month, today it asked me to put another $250 as a hold!!!!

Mary asked on May 03, 2018

Answer this

HI Mary, we only take the hold twice per borrower. Each hold lasts for 10 days, so if you take more than one trip in the 10 day period the hold will cover all those trips. If you take another trip after the first hold has expired, we'll place another hold then. After that we won't take the hold anymore. If you private message us your full name or email address we can look up your account and confirm if you have any more holds remaining.

We are going Brisbane for holiday. Are eligible to borrow from car next door. How about the insurance? Appreciate your advice.

Ella asked on Apr 17, 2018

Answer this

Hi Ella, when you borrow cars with Car Next Door you're covered by our comprehensive insurance. The standard Damage Cover Liability (which works like an insurance excess) for drivers over 25 is $2000. You can choose to reduce this to $500 for an extra charge per trip or by joining on our Heavyweight plan ($19/month). If you have any more questions about insurance, take a look in our Help Centre: https://carnextdoor.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/sections/201066329-Insurance-for-borrowing-cars

See all 15 questions about Car Next Door