This product has been discontinued by Cooper Tires.

Car: Mazda BT50 2012

Great Tire

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2017

I have had a set of Cooper Discoverer ATR tires on my Mazda BT50 for over 80 000 Kms and they have been great tire. I have mainly used them on sealed roads with a bit driving on gravel and the occasional use in the sand, I haven't had a puncture with these tires. I also have a boat which I tow with the vehicle.

• 2 answers

Car: Toyota Troop Carrier

Guilty of misrepresentation

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2017

20 yes ago I had a Toyota Troop Carrier in Mount Isa with Bf Goodrich and decided to go Cooper for the 80 000km guarantee. I chose the equivalent of the AT3 heavy duty ($1600). I drove to south east Queensland and found the tyres could not even grip on Toowoomba city roads without sliding because the roads were like driving on glass when wet (I was pulled over twice to have my tyres checked and the police couldn't believe that the tyres looked brand new and not gripping (2000 km at that point)) and was told to get rid of them. The tyres lasted 18 200 km completely worn out. When I asked for the warranty to be honoured, I was told 'did I read the fine print'? yes I said ' no did you read the extra fine print'? Obviously not but apparently it said If tyres bought outside a metropolitan area or if bought in a metropolitan area and then driven outside of said area the warranty is void. Went back to BF Goodrich and have never touched Cooper again. When I here someone inquiring about Coopers I discourage them with my story.

Mildura

• 5 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Car: 2003 Nissan Patrol.

Poor km's on 16" ATR's on my Patrol

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2017

Very poor mileage on new Cooper ATR's. Mostly highway driving (regional town) and some 2.7 ton caravan towing (about 10,000K) and some off road (nothing too serious). In all I have only got about 45000K from these tyers and they are shagged. Wear is even and on all tyers so not an alignment issue, just plain old wear. Going back to a well known brand like BF Goodrich. Guess I just got sucked into the advertising hype. Haven't taken them back to argue re warranty either. It's not worth the agro.

Car: 2015 Toyota Hilux

Great Tyre Approx 10th Set No Dramas

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

I have owned sooooo many sets of coopers Tyres never ever had a puncture and one of those sets was used to do a around Australia trip 35,000kms (16,000kms of that off road). I must admit have only owned the S/T's, S/T Max or STT and cannot fault them. One thing I must say is that you MUST rotate them religiously and in the order that coopers recommend other wise you will not get the mileage out of them. Currently have a set of S/T Maxx's on my hilux got 103,000kms on them and they are pretty much shagged, can't complain about that !!! Had the wheel alignment go way out on me at about the 80,000km mark other wise I reckon I could have got close to 120,000kms out of them and to put this into perspective these Tyres are on a hilux tipping the scales at 2.8T of constant total weight which I use on a mine site. Highly rate them.

• 1 answer
  • 3 helpful votes

Car: 1993 Suzuki Vitara JLX Estate Wagon

Dangerous Tyre!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 29, 2016

My opinion do not by for light 4WD (especially a Suzuki Vitara) as they make your vehicle aquaplane on the road a lot!!. A plus is they definitely prove their offroad ability even when they were close to bald they still did the job and gave me awesome grip even when i got bogged from inexperience.
These tyres are more in the offroad range and are not really highway worthy as they are noisy and slip with hard brakes in the wet and dry and cause trad scratches and chunks taken out of tyre (but had no ABS installed on 4WD). They can give an aver age grip when turning sharply but give a fair bit of body roll (for a Suzuki Vitara).
This is my tyre review on the Cooper Discovery ATR. Most of these results were based on 1 year of owning my 1993 Suzuki Vitara JLX 4 door 1.6L 4 cylinder with 8,000km of tread left.
Personal opinion they are not good for a Suzuki Vitara as it makes it aquaplane as it is a light 4WD and is quite dangerous, but bloody good grip offroad like i said 80-100% off road usage i would recommend if buying tyre.

Positive:
+1.Had a 1993 Suzuki Vitara had 1 nail made it flat but took it ages to deflate (all night)
2.Has a screw and didn't even get flat from it,these were pretty bald and still held it pretty good so has a strong wall.
3.Even though bald were really good off road on wet dirt tracks, but would not recommend on the beach for a Suzuki Vitara.

Negative:
-1. Could not drive in rain as they would slip with half acceleration especially on roundabouts, ran up the gutter and dinted one of my steel rims because of this problem!!
2. Were not good on the beach even when they were close to bald.
3. Would not recommend for light 4WDs unless on the offroad track 80-100% of the time.
4. Noisy on the road at old age.
5. Ripped my tread when braking heavily (luckily it was a low tread)

Brisbane

Car: 2013 Lifestyle Explorer Camper Trailer

Cooper ATS 265/75R16 LT - complete sidewall blow out at 3,000ks

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2016

Our Lifestyle Camper Trailer has these factory installed. Before our big trip, I rotated and balanced the tyres so what was the spare was now a drive tyre. Just outside of Bramwell, heard a really loud noise from the car, and felt a significant increase in drag. Stopped and the tyre's sidewall had laterally ripped in 2 places, the tear looked like a "U", about the size of your hand.

The sudden drop from the blow out caused damage to the rim as well.

Tyre was about 3 years old, had been a spare until just before the trip. Tyre pressure was around 33psi (lower than for bitumen) due to gravel roads.

When I got to Bamaga, the guys at the NPA tyre/battery shop made the comment "Coopers don't last on these roads". They managed to straighten the rim, and put an old (but usable) GT Radial to get me home.

I feel like I still have 2 timebombs left - will be looking for alternatives.

frankston

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Car: 2001 Pajero

Warranty What warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2016

Had AT3 on a Pajero. At 40,000km had a puncture in middle of tread (NOT sidewall) Was told by independent repairer inn Fitzroy Crossing that they were unable to repair as tyre had developed a "thin spot" .Cost $10. Went to Cooper retailer in Tom Price got the same story -- unable to repair due to thin spot -- thin spot due to being used off-road and hitting a rock -- mileage warranty does not apply outside capital cities. Also spoke to distributors representative in Queensland. Had to purchase new tyre at Tom Price rates. Cost nearly $400 Fitter managed to shear security bolt on the spare wheel fitting. Cost probably about $30 but sold car. Total cost near $450 + lots of kms to get to a (useless) Cooper retailer.
Cooper warranty is totally useless. Cooper service is totally useless. If All Terrain tyres are unable to be used off road which part of " All" do Coopers not understand.
Only bright spot in the whole sorry saga is TyrePower at Frankston. Very helpful and tried hard with distributor.
Only buy Coopers if you fully understand their warranty.They are not fit for purpose.
This tyre has been withdrawn by Coopers but its a fair bet that its on the market again under a different part number and that the c**p warranty is the same as before.

Purchased at: Tyrepower

Car: 1996 landgruiser wagon

Pilbara and Perth

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 02, 2016

Fitted the ATR tyres while in the Pilbara travelled extensively on harsh dirt rocky roads with very few problems. First set lasted over 120,000 kms and I abused them no rotation and checked the pressures when i thought about it which wasn't very often. Fitted the second set in 2000 and they are still on the car now edging the 140000 kms but car is now mainly used for town with the occasional prospecting trip. Would I fit them again in a heartbeat. Never had a warranty problem with the tyres have had two side wall punctures and one tread puncture plugged it and that was 60000 kms ago measured the tread depth today and still have 7mm tread depth on tyres think they will outlast the cruiser

Car: 1999 Landcruiser wagon

Don't buy Coopers tyres

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 22, 2016

Purchased 4 coopers tyres for land cruiser. $333.00 each got 7,000klm out of a tyre with a blowout. Never been off a bitumen road. They found a small puncture but they also initially told me the rep had seen the damaged tyre and he hadn't, so your guess is as good as mine. Will never buy Cooper again!!! Very rudely treated by retailer "M Group Tyres" and rep for Coopers tyres.

Car: 2004 Nissan Patrol, and a1997 VT Commodore

best tyres out for a 4WD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2016

I bought my patrol in 2004 it came bridgestones and they didn' see 30k, I 've been on coopers ever since. My patrol has done 524000 klm and I ' ve had 6 sets of coopers, and I travel 50k or more a year. The current set theAT3 have been on the patrol since 10/2014 and still has 50% of tread When I found out coopers made a tyres for cars I put a set on my sons car and now I 'm waiting to see how they perform. But truthly I recommend coopers AT3 for anyone to check out

Car: 2011 Toyota Prado

106,000km

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2015

Used them 50 / 50 bitumen & corrugated gravel roads. They handle great in wet weather on sealed and dirt and sit beautifully at 80 - 100kph on gravel roads. Just changing them now after 106,000km. Putting the same tyres back on. Can't fault them. Rotated and balanced at 50,000km.

Coffs harbour

Car: 2012 BT 50

very disappointing.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2015

Started out alright. I have my new BT 50 serviced and wheel aliened regularly. Fitted AT3 and for the first 15000 Km was happy but soon had sever uneven wear witch lead to very loud road noise. Very slippery in the wet after 20000Km. I'm now wanting them to wear out faster to get them off my truck. NEVER AGAIN.

Car: Toyota Land Cruiser V8

Fine, unless using gravel roads or exploding

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2015

After uneventful years driving Land Rover Defenders without much incident (one flat tyre in a decade) - I bought a Toyota Land Cruiser V8 fitted with Cooper AT tyres - what a disaster. Since May this year 8 flat tyres, two destroyed and today one exploded on me at speed, severely damaging my vehicle. I'll never want to come within any distance from a Cooper tyre of any kind again - and neither should you if you value your life!

Very poor mileage

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2015

I have had 4wd vehicles for 15 years now. I did driven 80 series, 100 series, for a little while an 200 series for work and now I own a 2010 Patrol and a 2008 Pathfinder. I always use Cooler Tyres, from the good old At's then ATR and now AT3. I've been impressed with the older model but the new one ... NOT HAPPY JAN!
I did purchase a new set for the Pathfinder 6 months ago and now after almost 10,000 km I'm ready for rotation.
Rotation? for what? My rear tyres are less than 50% left ....
I fully understand that they will never last the 80,000 km advertised but I'm lucky if those rear tyres will last 20,000 km ....
To be honest I'm not sure if i will replace them with another set of Cooper .... not with it!

very disappointing quility

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2015

Travelled through Botswana last year without any problems, however mostly deep sand. Last week visited Richtersveld and southern Namibia with Prado fitted with Coopers AT. What a calamity, lost 2 tyres, plugged 4 times while the other two vehicles had no problems. My nickname now is Wheelplug. Not suited for gravel roads with rocks. Never had similar problems in the past with far cheaper options. stay away!!!

MT Gambier

Can't fault them

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2015

I have cooper ATR fitted to a 2011 Mazda Bt 50 from new and have just clocked up 129000 kms with occasional rotation. They have done mainly highway with high speed gravel and construction sites. I wouldn't hesitate to replace with the same on that ute and I'm looking to put them on my landcruiser 200.

Perth

Replacing them with only 1000km on them

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 03, 2015

AT3. The carcass in at least 2 tyres keeps changing and they were balanced 2 times in a week! Now i have a low speed shake that occours in the morning and wobbles my car at various low speed times as well. Make a rumble when comming to a stop as well. My dealer shook his head and asked why i changed from Bridgestone 697's. Needless to say a set of Bridgestones are on their way!
For a premium tyre, they are crap!
(They are LT's as well)

Bad and Good Experiences with the Cooper ATR

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2015

My driving is around town, on bitumen sealed roads in Brisbane, with 4-5 short off-road trips in a Pajero on pressures of 36 -38 Psi. My experience with the Cooper ATRs (not AT3s) has been disappointing at $325 / tyre achieving about 40,000kms max. punctures (3X), obvious tread wear within 10,000kms, poor handling in the wet. A sucker for punishment, I went one last time with a new set of AT3s - a far superior tyre in terms of wear, look and feel new after 15,000kms, little or no tread wear, quieter & smoother ride, great on sand. I know, not many tyre outlets rate them in Brisbane, and I could understand why however, the AT3's which are upgrade to the AT3s, fingers crossed, have been for me, what they are advertised to be...

Wake up people

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2015

I would say that most of you don't run pressures correctly nor drive appropriately and blame the Tyre for your crappy management and inept driving style. I drive on rocky corrugated roads, up to 200km daily, and manage my coopers correctly and to date, no issues, the only person to do so.

• 3 comments
  • 37 helpful votes

Absolute rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2015

I have two vehicles which operated on a mine site which consists mainly of graded dirt or gravel roads. A full set of Coopers would not last more than 3 months, and that was after trying two sets. This included two side-wall punctures which is more than a coincidence, as these are the only sidewall punctures I have had on my vehicles in 4 years. Perhaps lucky to get 12,000km out of a set but probably closer to 10,000km. Avoid like the plague - I buy Bridgestones and Maxxis tyres now and they are far better.

1 of 3 pages