Melbourne

• 1 question
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Good for large families, still hard on wallet

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

I tried the new Cost co at Epping, Vic.

First point: As everyone knows, Costco is about size. But here is the deal. Big Size = Big initial cost
Per unit cost may come down, agreed!!
But you must spend A LOT straight up. Budgets can go haywire in one trip to Costco. Here is how that happens.
Example: A family of 4 has a budget of $300 a week on groceries (I know its on the upper side). If they stick to local grocer /Aldi / Woolies / Coles, they usually are ok.
If they go to costco, they will spend the whole amount, but get no where near all groceries needed for the week. I agree that the tin of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 3-set Bathroom soap scum cleaner will last for 3 months.
But the budget for that week is definitely shot.
It is harder to return stuff due to long lines in returns.
Unless I missed a map or something, you have to spend hours looking for things. My list didnt work, since we went around everywhere and picked up random things as we found them.
Also, not everything is cheaper. My local Fruit & Veg grocer has far better prices.

Love it or hate it! We like it

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

The membership is a bit steep every year $60 - but it’s worth it if you get petrol regularly and keep an eye out on specials. It’s easy to over purchase and bulk purchase stuff you won’t end up using and so the money you save gets wasted anyways! We love the food stalls outside - churros and Hot dogs are a popular treat! I recommend it overall.

Love it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

I have been a customer of Costco since it opened in Auburn.
Couldnt be happier, staffs at both the Auburn and Casula stores provide great customer experience.
The quality of their products are great, it is a wholesaler, therefore you are expecting to buy in bulk.

I am not why there are so many reviews.

Personally, I am very happy with their service and great range of products

Sydney

Another Crappy US company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2018

I’ve been shopping at Costco Canada for over 20 years and never had a difficult time returning defective items. One of the main reasons I buy certain things at Costco given their prices are higher than Bing Lee etc. However, the store in Marsden Park makes the reforms process extremely difficult and i will not be renewing my membership once it expires. Another US business that’s going to end up closing down with their dodgy business practices.

Customer experience

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2018

It is an overpriced wholesale and bad customer services and doesn't trust customers like military checkpoints. Wasting of my membership money !!!

wrong opening hours

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2018

We checked on google it was showing Costco is open till 8:00 pm also we called on Costco contact no. it went to auto recording and said open till 8:00 pm when we went to Costco staff was outside and said it's closed and he was rude too

Melbourne, Victoria

• 12 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 17 helpful votes
Private message

Product format works and doesnt

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

If you are a small family or a couple or a Individual, its not worth paying for the membership. Unless you use it for cheaper fuel (which is better then normal fuels), cheap roast chickens. Does it work out to pay that money each year? each case is different.

The produces is usually better grade then Coles and Woolworths but you do pay more for it generally.

The large size products is just not good for small families. And if you think about the pricing how much cheaper is it then buying a small size in Coles or Woolworths.

And your storing that large product in your cupboard for months, cause its just too big. Money sitting in the cupboard and the product quality is degrading because its been opened, so the shelf like is reduced due to oxidation. Spacing in your storage is also important to smaller homes too, normal homes isnt so important.

Best way to shop is to buy what you need and to last a few weeks max in your storage. Having extremely large items that last months in your cupboard is a negative thing, not a good thing.

Best way to shop is to use Cosco for the cheaper fuel, roast chickens, alcohol.

There a pros and cons to shopping at Cosco, and each case is depends on how many you shop for each week. More competition is healthy for us, the consumer. Cause it forces the dominate giants like Coles and Woolworths to change their way of thinking. They do try spending millions trying to prevent or make it hard for others to enter the market. Instead of spending that money changing their mindset of the Australian Market. They have had more then 30 years to serve us the customer well, but they havent. Only when new players come into the market they where force to change or lose profits. They will spend money marketing to you that they are now lowering the prices to help you.. Its not, its because they are losing a small percentage of new and existing customers to the new competition.

Years ago they had the option to spend more to implement new human comforts and convenience systems. But they had chosen not to. Why? because they had no competition and controlled you the customer, spending habits. They preferred and did care more about making a bigger profit, then to adapted to the changing environment.

We have to remember as customers we use emotional choices when we buy. Including environment influences, human interaction and pricing. They are all business that dont think with emotions, they are a business. Profits will always come first.
When you can understand them as a business and profits are first, then we as customers can better understand them. Treat them the same way they treat us, this they try to prevent. This forces them to change.. eg pricing..

I never have a problem in their business practices, cause its a business, not a human. I worked for many years, I understand they way they function on a executive level.

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
Private message

Fantastic for health food and organic products.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

In our family, we love Costco for their incredibly reasonable prices on organic dried foods and other health foods.

We make our own plant milk and do a lot of recipe development for our business and Costco has saved us a considerable amount.

We can’t say much regarding the fresh produce as we mainly grow our own or shop at organic stores and farmers' markets.

From time to time, we will purchase some of the clothing and find it to be top quality especially if it’s the Kirkland Organic Cotton range.

Some of their bulk spirits are also very good value.

Between Aldi and Costco, there are fantastic savings to be had.

We can’t wait for Kaufland to open their doors.

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

The worst customer service and not that cheap!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

I went to the North Lakes Costco. All staff members that I spoke to were rude and had an attitude from the entry staff to the customer service desk. They do not seem happy or friendly. It is like the culture of the business is to not care about their customers. I shopped there once and I am regretting paying the membership.

Also the products are actually not that cheap. Don't be fooled by buying in bulk - make sure to check the equivalent price. I thought a lot of items were MORE expensive then the regular supermarket.

Not worth the drive.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

niddrie

Private message

good

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2018

the food that we bought was nice but the prices werent much better than normal shop prices, some items possibly even more expensive such as toiletires

Sydney, Australia, NSW

• 18 comments
  • 77 answers
  • 38 helpful votes
Private message

Costco Wetsuits Passing Off Big name Brands (Adrenalin & Seadoo) but are total Rubbish!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

Costco have blatantly tried to pass off their rubbish wetsuits with big name brands. Adrenalin vs Adrenaline for example. I for one was taken by this minor change of spelling thinking I was buying a good brand. However the quality is far from satisfactory. After using my Costco Adrenaline wetsuit just 6 times the stitching around the neck overlap started to break causing the overlap to come apart. A day later the zipper slider just fell off the zipper whilst simply pulling the zipper up to close the back of the wetsuit as you do. On close examination I also noticed that the wetsuit had started to tear apart just below the zipper due to the very poor construction i.e. lack of stretch and complete lack of reinforcement below the zipper. This for a wetsult used once a day for a little over a week! But properly made wetsuits should last not for days, but rather for years! They tried to pass off the brand name but couldnt even copy the construction. All I have to say is SHAME SHAME SHAME on you Costco. Now to add insult to injury. This wetsuit was gifted to me and I cant even return it for a refund as I am entitled under Australian Consumer Law because Costco requires the persons membership number and furthermore will only refund by the same method by which it was purchased. Let me tell you there is absolutely NO SAVING with CostCo. What you pay is what you get but worse!

Inconsistent quality of Yarra Valley slow cooked lamb Shanks

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2018

Bought 1 box of Yarra Valley cooked Lamb Shanks (4shanks) - they were fantastic - meat falling off bone in just 30minutes
Bought 3 more boxes this week.
I followed the cooking instructions - cooking from the thawed state in oven.
They were all like "old boot leather" and had cook them for another 3 hours to make them edible.
Just as well I started cooking early otherwise the guests would be having pizza instead!

Not buying them again - and definitely not recommending to anyone.
Costco - for the price charged - these should be 100% quality -100% of the time.
I will be notifying the local store.

Not Good Value for Money

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

For the first time today we went to our closest Costco. It was not at all cheap, many products were only a day or 2 out of their use by dates and prices were not cheaper than our local supermarkets. Mostly everything was bulk and not practical for a small family when travel and petrol costs need to be taken into account. Should be a trial before using, even if at a small cost.Have requested my membership be refunded. Some staff members were quite rude too.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Costco price

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2018

I'm Costco member for the last 8 month one of the things that frustrates me about this place the frequency of the price change and its only raising and not dropping that is frustrating to see how prices rised on the items within 2weeks such as box of lamb pack, chees or rice, biscuits etc. I'm really thinking about to give up on my membership better to shop at ALDI!!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Love Costco, their cakes are great.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2018

Friendly staff, great items,love it. Always great fr snack party items, fresh veggies and fruit. Washing powder and conditioner a great purchase.

• 1 answer

Costco meat

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2018

Roast chicken is greasy. Sausages full of gristle. Steak is tough. Everything else is fine but stay away from the meat.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Enjoy bakery section and salad section good quality

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

And really enjoy the food court or section
But please bring back korean bugogi
Really miss that it's better than the chicken roll...
Thanku mel

Ringwood, Victoria

• 6 comments
  • 5 answers
  • 41 helpful votes

Smelly place

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I went there with Mandy and Sandra this afternoon to have a look around but I found it boring also the place smelt really bad so I would recommend going elsewhere also the slice of Pizza I had tasted liked cardboard so I definitely wouldn't waste your hard earned money on buying food there.

Bankstown

Always excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2018

Always a good shopping experience, staff are friendly and helpful, the entire complex is always so clean from the carpark to the eating area to the toilets and the main shopping area. And the food there is just too good to be true. Can’t go past there $1.99 hot dog and drink but if you want something really special try their mouth watering cheeseburger. The meat pattie on this burger is so thick and juicy, fresh crisp lettuce and tomato, yummy cheese and the sauce will have you licking your lips for more, and the milk bun is always perfect for $6.99 it’s pretty good.

The staff is very rude

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2018

There is a felmale staff at the customer service counter was so rude,don’t want to go to there anymore, Costco should has a complain function on their website .

1 of 23 pages