A diet that is working for me

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

I got a wake up call from my GP about needing to get my cholesterol down or go on daily meds for the rest of my life. The day after I saw a mention of the Total Wellbeing online program. I had a copy of the first book, but I'd never really followed it, and thought joining up may be what I needed. When I did follow up I discovered they had a special offer of a money back if you complete certain actions - that was all I needed to push the subscribe button.
I've now completed the first twelve week program (and started Program 2 as I have quite a lot of weight to lose). I lost nearly 10kg and I've been really impressed. The combination of menu plan and tracker, the regular weigh in and emails with supporting information, plus the support of the online community have really worked for me. I'd love it if the app included the exercise program as well as I just dont get to the online website very often but that's a minor thing.
I didn't follow the menu religously - there are lots of options to swap food around to suit, and I also regularly went over my allowances for indulgences (sigh - bakeries!). But I look on it as an ongoing lifestyle change and even mistakes are teaching me what I need to know. And to be honest, I have been losing weight and centimeters plus feeling MUCH healthier even with the mistakes. I have rarely felt hungry, and at this stage now intend to (once I reach my goal weight) go onto the regular maintenance plan so that I can continue to have the support and accountability that the program has brought me.
I actually think that GP's should be able to prescribe this program for clients like me - and I've been recommending it far and wide!

Finally, a diet that is easy to understand, it works and I can stick to it!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet is easy to follow and I learnt a great deal about what to eat and how to prepare healthy meals. The detailed meal plans and recipes are easy to follow, with a tracking tool to help you keep on track on either the website or mobile app. I have completed the 12 week program 1, lost 7kg, and will soon embark on the next 12 weeks as I would like to drop a few more kilos, but I feel that this is a sustainable life-long change that I can keep going with long term.
There are so many tools at your disposal with this diet (weekly tutorials, exercise plans and videos), I didn't have time to utilise all of them but will do so in the Round 2 program.

Verified Purchase

Can't argue with the science!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

The detailed and pre-populated food catalogue made daily food intake tracking a breeze and regular milestones, recipes library and easy to understand approach made sticking to the 12 weeks easier than I thought. I lost just under 10kg and have developed some great sustainable habits. Stick with it, the results are worth it!

A Life Change that I needed.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

I was attracted to this program after being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. At 66 years old, I knew that if I didn't do something to change my lifestyle, it would be downhill from now on. The TWD program suited me very well. I loved being able to use technology to track my eating and my progress. The daily eating plan and accompanying recipes were great and if I didn't fancy what was on offer for that day, I could easily change that meal.
I have lost almost 5 kilos during the 12 weeks but more importantly my blood sugar dropped from 7.3 to 6.3.
This has been the easiest and most productive eating program I have been on (and there have been a few over the years!), I have learned a new and healthier way of eating and intend to return to the program when I return from overseas.
Many thanks to CSIRO for creating this sensible, easy to follow and healthy program that anyone can use!

TWD for sustainable weight loss

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2018

The TWD is easy to follow I found the menu plan means that there is always a meal option I enjoy I have lost 12 kilos thanks to the menu plan supported by the weekly tutorials I followed the potion size and mix of foods without worrying about product brands I enjoy the regular exercise and being fitter

Great Program & Easy to Follow

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2018

No doubt, like many others, I have tried a few diets in my time to often various degrees of failure. I was watching a UK show that focussed on various diets and saw the CSIRO diet being tested out. Knowing this famous Aussie institution, I decided to carry on watching with my partner.

The couple that tried the CSIRO diet lost 8kg in 8 weeks. That got me on to the website to have a look.

I weighed myself on an old set of scales and it said 91kg. I knew the scales were a bit dodgy, so I bought a new set. Yup.. they said 91kg too!

I signed up and decided to give it a crack with my partner. The $149 refundable portion was a good incentive, but not the only incentive.

Over the next 12 weeks, I lost 15kg!

What I liked?

Most the meals were tasty and easy to prepare (plan ahead for the week!! If you are busy, choose simple meals and do the more elaborate meals on weekends!)

The app was reasonably good (was a bit buggy at times). This allowed me to keep track and also kept me on track! An apple or pear instead of the bar of chocolate helped me keep on track as my app would tell me the KJ of that triple bar kit kat!

Where the plan excelled is the ability to generate a shopping list! We have two kids and we tried as far as possible to pick meals, that with some minor tweaks, are palatable for the kids. Once you have set your menu, change the people you are buying for to 3 (2 kids = 1 adult) and print the list. If you shop with follies, you can generate it to woolies for a click and collect. This IS BIG!! On previous diets, you often don't buy enough, or you forget parts of menus and that leads you to buy takeaway or popping on some frozen chips! Diet over!!!

You don't have to take the menu suggested and if you love the shakes, have them every morning if that’s what you want! Some meals are "ho hum" but others are really good! Beef Pho and Thai Beef Salad are my favourites!

One other thing is that if you are going to a party or out for drinks and a meal, we geared the menu to compensate. e.g. remove the carbs the day before, prior to going out and the day after. We have done this a few times and still maintained the average level of weight loss! We are planning to do something similar next year prior to going on holiday! Whilst we will be sensible, we certainly won't be religious about it!

I love this program and some work colleagues and friends have hopped on board and are seeing results!

Key things to think about:

If you are a chocoholic, you WILL get a sugar withdrawal headache at day three. Make sure you have the neurofen or paracetamol handy. It lasts for 24 hours and it's done!

Your body will moan and whinge for about two weeks. This is a good sign as it is going through withdrawal. You will lose a decent amount of weight too.. e.g. 2-3 kg over those two weeks and sometimes more

You may not lose weight for a week. No idea why not, but stick with the mindset of "at least I'm not piling on weight"

Exercise is the multiplier! I only cycled 2 x 15min per day for 5 days a week (to and from work)

Lastly, treat yourself at milestones! We LOVE Korean Bi BIM Bap! Healthy and delicious! But maybe a lean burger some chips or whatever!

I highly recommend this program!

Verified Purchase

Wow!! Thank you TWD, you have helped me fight off the black dog!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

I was sitting at home very depressed as my PTSD had returned after 15 years. I was put back on my previous medication that I knew added the kilos. In my boredom, I watched a morning television program. During this program a lady came on TV talking about the TWD. I immediately googled the TWD program and I showed it to my wife. At first she was hesitant as she didn't think I was in the right head space. However, we both agreed to join the program as the full refund was the carrot to keep me motivated and striving towards a goal!
When I started the TWD, I weighed in at 125.3kg. I struggled to fit into my clothes, I was unmotivated and felt sorry for myself.
In my first week I dropped 5kg, probably because I wasn't eating all the comfort food to soothe my depressed soul. In the following 11 weeks I lost around 0.5 - 1kg a week. At the 12 week completion I weighed in at 109.3kg a total loss of 16kg. I am still amazed, as I never actually felt like I was on a diet. It didn't just teach me to eat properly, it also taught me how to be organised with meals. Being organised saved us hundreds of dollars, as we minimised food wastage and I now take a lunch from home to work every day. Prior to this it was costing me approximately $15 a day for lunch.
Did I like everything on the menu - No! But, the freedom of the program allowed me to chop and change the meals to suit.
This experience has been totally life changing! I feel so much healthier and I feel that I'm again in control of my PTSD. Thank you TWD!!! I've still got a further 10kg to shed to get under a 100kg for the first time in 30 years! Bring on Program 2.
The only downside of the TWD, is that I now have to buy new clothes!!

After 12 weeks, a sustainable life style change

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

I set out to lose 10 kg from a start of 88 kg. I achieved this after the 12 week program 1. The recipes were easy to prepare & I found the food quite tasty. I satisfied the hunger pangs with program snacks in between meals. For the first few weeks I stuck to the menus provided, but after that I mostly swapped meals & made up my own, based on the balanced protein concept. I have developed a healthy approach to eating & whilst I may wander sometimes, I reckon I now have the tools to maintain a weight outside of the overweight BMI category. I took on the sociable personality program, which allowed the occasional glass of wine & a large latte every day.
On the negative side, I thought that the website needs some work - I couldn't enter my meals & had to be quite specific by entering the preformatted meal text. This was very frustrating sometimes. I generally ended up by entering something similar. In week one, I ordered the complete item list through Woolworths & picked up the goods at the start of the week. The produce was second rate. The beans were old & withered. That was the first & last time I ordered. It's much better to copy the list & do the shopping yourself. That way you know exactly what you are getting.
Overall I would recommend this balanced protein diet. It fulfils an objective & it creates a healthy eating lifestyle. Well done CSIRO.

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Beware the ongoing charges if you forget to cancel your membership

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

Having tried different programs over the years with good success (Michelle bridges etc) I found the food simple to prepare, but very boring and repetitive. I managed to stick to it for 5 weeks but then lost motivation as I was so sick of the same salads and bland food. Forgot about the whole thing by the end only to be stung with the ‘loyalty membership’ fee of $20. Don’t forget to cancel it they refused to refund the fee despite contacting them the same day it was charged! Not worth the money for me. Totally ridiculous that you automatically put on the ongoing subscription for something called a 12 week challenge this should be an opt in thing not an automatic thing.

Fix your life

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

I like to cook and this program taught me what was wrong with my food. It provides a framework for correct portioning, particularly high energy foods like meat and oil while allowing unlimited low energy food like vegetables and fruit. I'm 180cm and went from 112kg to 103kg in 12 weeks, and I now know how to balance food for health and happiness.

I followed the program for weekday meals and it was easy, tasty and filling. On the weekend, I ate and cooked whatever so it didn't feel like I was sacrificing anything.

Initially the weekly meal planner, food tracker and shopping list generator made it easy to start the program and follow it. After a few weeks, I used the recipes as guidelines and cooked things I wanted just healthier. Simple things like prefer low GI, 1 tsp of oil per meal and 150g of meat made it easy to follow.

I highly recommend this program as a one off investment in healthy eating that will set good habits for life.

Life Changing Experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

In my opinion this should not be called a diet. This conjures all sorts of mental images of eating yukky food and hunger; nothing could be further from the truth. This should be looked at as a 12 week course on healthy eating. I started the program with the sole intention of losing a lot of weight and was resigned to doing it tough in order to reach my goal. Nothing could be further from the truth, the meals are fantastic and varied, and lots of snack options to keep you satisfied. At the end of 12 weeks I have lost 12 kg, I am happier, have loads of energy, and have not felt this good for 20 years. All this for a modest fee which is totally refunded at the end of the 12 weeks. On completion you are automatically moved onto their loyalty plan @ $20 per month, but you can unsubscribe from this at any time. Most negative comments about this site are about this loyalty fee. If these people had bothered reading about the site properly in the first place, this would never be an issue. Personally, I think about $5 per week is fantastic value to retain access to the TWD site, it's tools, and it's forum and I will happily remain a member indefinitely as my weight loss continues.

Darwin

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase

Sensible, balanced, flexible and EFFECTIVE!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

I expected a science based program that, if followed, would provide steady (and sustainable) weight loss - which is exactly what I got! My eating habits were (I thought) already fairly reasonable (I'd cut out soft drinks, cakes, chocolates etc years ago) - but it turns out I was too focused on avoiding carbs, and didn't have my portions under control. The CSIRO plan has re-introduced a balance of the food groups and has educated me about portion sizes, better food choices etc - small changes that will become a habit. I lost 4.7kgs in 12wks (and I'm sure I could have done much better, but I was VERY slack on the exercise front).
The website takes a bit of getting used to - and I must admit I didn't find the menus particularly appealing. However, the tools to create your own regular food combos were great, and allowed me to plot the good meals we were already eating (breakfast and dinner) and then see what allowances I had left over to put my lunch and snacks together. Having a food units "budget" appealed to my accounting mind, and was easy to follow.
In terms of support, my questions were always answered promptly, and the fine print was clear enough to me - just follow the rules, they're fairly straight forward.
I would recommend this to anyone - it's really an educational program, not a diet, that helps you change your relationship with food!

Change of eating plan not just a diet

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2018

I have been happy with my weight loss of just under 13 kg so far. Now on week 4 of program 2
I have pretty much just done my own meal plans with the daily amounts allowed so have found it really family friendly.
Hoping I can now stick to this eating plan.

Why not try and get full refund!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

I have been exercising regularly to shape and lose weight but I reached the point where I couldn’t increase exercise amount during the week (Average 4 times a week, 60 mins each) and I was getting frustrated. Just needed extra 3kg to go so I could get back to pre-pregnancy weight and I wanted some help with diet. First I found CSIRO program via qantas assure app then saw the full refund offer

A big help!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2018

I found the program to be easy to follow, I used the app daily and the website for searching for recipes. It has been a re-education program for me, highlighting a lot of overeating and bad habits. I lost 6.9kg in the 12 weeks and i have also signed up for a further 12 weeks, hopefully I can achieve another 7kg in that time. This is lightest I have weighed for around 10 years. I love searching the website for something different to eat. The changes in habit will stick with me for life now.

Verified Purchase

Beware of Qantas Assure 10,000 QF Points Promo.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2018

Overall the CSIRO Diet does provide some great Meal options, particularly for those of us that live busy lives with a lack of time for adequate food preparation. Meal suggestions were tasty, yet nutritious and were relatively easy to prepare.

I completed both program 1 & 2 and managed to lose a total of 19 kilo's over the 24 weeks of the program - which was very encouraging.

Needless to say, I was motivated to Join the Program due to a offer that stated Qantas Assure members could earn 10,000 Qantas points by successfully completing Program 1.

Unfortunately what the CSIRO diet don't adequately do, is make the stipulation very clear as to what is required to earn the full 10,000 Qantas points.

Once i tried to claim for the missing points, i was told i did not meet the criteria as i did not provide a picture every week over the duration of the 12 weeks that showed my weight loss.
In addition, to earn the additional Points, the customer on the diet must consent their pictures being used for potential publicity purposes - which quite frankly is a major privacy issue for many - myself included.

Overall the CSIRO diet provides for some sound nutritional advice - but for $150 for each of the 12 week programs (Total of $300 for 24 weeks ), I would argue that the program is quite expensive for what is effectively an online tutorial.

Perth

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

Excellent meal plan and tool for teaching how to eat properly

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2018

I didn't strictly stick to the meal plans, however I stuck to the principles of the diet and recorded everything that I ate. I love the bar chart that shows how you are tracking against your allowances. At first the web site didn't seem easy, but after playing around for a couple of weeks, I figured it out and thought that it was pretty good. The reality is this 'diet' is everything that we already know - eat less junk and eat more veg. Because I wasn't as strict as I should have been, I was happy to roll over to the $20 per month option. So, I reached my goal weight and still try to adhere to the portions that I should. I have recommended this 'diet' to everyone that has commented on my weight loss (and those that haven't). Be disciplined about weighing your food and recording what you eat, and in 12 weeks you wont need to do either. I also got my refund!

Best eating plan I have found.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2018

Hi There,
I was recently on the 3 month programme to lose weight, which I did much to my pleasure.
I just wanted to commend this eating plan, it was the best I have been on and the most sensible.
I am 70 and have tried all the fad diets in my life, none of them worked ....excepting this programme.
I have since been on 3 weeks holiday and have been home for 3 weeks and have to continued to lose weight
due to what I have learned on your programme ie portion size, the best types of food for me, when to eat..
Also, when I had completed the three months, getting my money back was so easy, because I had followed all the requirements each week.
So I just wanted to say thank you for this programme, it taught me a lot.

Verified Purchase

Boring food and promo not refunded

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2018

I found the 12 week menu extremely boring compared to other menus I’ve followed before (Michelle Bridges) I kept having to swap meals to look for better options. None the less I stuck to it and lost 10% of my body weight. I joined this diet based on the promotion of losing enough weight and get your money back. I passed the test however along the way I forgot to upload two photos with my weekly weigh ins. I weighed in religiously and lost weight every week but those two pics along the way have stopped me from getting the refund. As a part of the criteria a weekly photo must be included with the weigh in. My bad yes, but I had the starting photo and all but two weigh in photos and the finishing photo. I find it hard to believe that they really needed those two photos along the way, I have NEVER seen a story showing 12 photos of someone’s weight loss journey, it’s only ever “before” and “after”. It’s left a really bad taste in my mouth, as if the food didn’t do that already! I kept 3 meal recipes out of the whole 12 weeks...

Best thing I have ever been on

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2018

For me this was the best weight loss program I have ever been on. The weekly menu was full of variations which meant I didn't get bored with eating the same thing every day. I found the weekly weigh in very good to keep me motivated. I had a lot of weight to lose and have lost 26kgs in the 12 week program. I am feeling very proud of myself.

1 of 9 pages

Hi. I am overweight and a coeliac. I purchased the first csiro diet book many years ago, saw the recipes and decided it was all too hard. Now that I understand dietsry restrictions against my naivety years ago, how is this diet program and book any different to if I chose to go it alone with the first edition book?

Coeliac Wendy asked on May 02, 2018

Answer this

Hi Wendy, we didn't buy the book, instead joined the program on line. As far as I'm concerned, the benefit is that they provide a weekly menu and shopping list.
Every day of every week the meals are different (variety is good) so they do the figuring out of calories, etc for me. Hope it helps
Good luck

Hi I have 2 CSIRO Books from years ago and yes I used some of the recipes but didn’t really stick to it. The diet program has each day set out for you with optional changes. You can also track you food and exercise with the Tracker online. The high protein, low GI is the program I used. I found the online program makes you more accountable and if you do you weigh in and a photo each week for the 12 weeks and lost weight you can apply for a refund at the end of the 12 weeks. Which I received. Because of a medical condition I lose weight slowly and I lost 5 kg. I am on my second 12 weeks now and still losing slowly. The program also comes with an exercise program. I didn’t use this as I go to exercise classes, but they did look good. There is a forum that you can ask questions or get other ideas from other participants. I believe it is a diet I can stick to for the rest of my life. I thought I was eating well before but this change is much more filling and nutritious than what I used to eat. I hope this helps.

were can buy this diet book besides online thanks

michele asked on Jan 24, 2012

Answer this

Hi Michele
I have seen the book in most bookshops but I did buy it some time ago and with the demise of the humble bookshop not sure where you might get an edition now. You could contact CSIRO direct and they may point you in the right direction.

hi Michelle I got mine at the op shop and there were plenty of them donated by peopple that gave up

Product Details