Sydney

• 4 helpful votes

Model: C10001

Complete garbage, can't believe Woolworths sells this dangerous junk

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

Can't open most tins. Also cuts whole flange off tin, leaving a dangerous sharp edge (rather than cutting the lid out of the flange).
Went in the bin tonight. finished opening the the tin with a knife, faster and safer.
Get yourself a normal top-cutting tin opener, save your time and money. And Woolworths buying department: get your act together.

Model: C10000

Original was 100% better.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2017

My first magic can was bought from the USA and lasted me over 10 years. It was the best. With age it fell apart so i picked up a new one from Big W. What a load of crap. I'm better off using a knife to rip open a can than this so called Magic Can opener. You have to go around almost 5 times to at least get the can 3/4 open. I can't return it cause i threw out the receipt. Will never recommend buying this opener. Just might get another from the US.

It doesnt work.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2017

I am not sure to write to. This Magi can opener doesn't WORK. I spent $14 for some thing what is no good.
What a waste of money and now I will have to go out & buy a new one.

Chinese made garbage

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2017

The original magican I owned had to be replaced as the plastic handle finally disintegrated due to age. They were made in Europe and were brilliant. My new one made in China is pure garbage and does not open cans. It misses spots and no matter how many laps you do does not cut the lid off so you have to get physical with it. I just had it replaced at Woolworths and my replacement is just as crap. A once great product now worthless junk and DO NO BUY ONE. Taking my replacement back to shop for full refund. A real shame that profit over rides quality these days

Model: C10001

Coles, Woolworths, why do you stock this?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2017

A can opener, as the name suggests, should be able to open cans. I don't need it to sing to me, or entertain my child, but I would like it to open cans. This product does not. Do not buy it.

I am in awe!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 13, 2017

Useless! Plain and simple, it does not open cans lol. The name Magican says it all really, because if you actually get a can to open with this stupid can opener it would be nothing short of a magic trick! It barely pierces the thin metal and if it does, it rolls straight off again! Hands down the most frustrating kitchen implement I've dealt with to date. I literally feel like keying some cars or driving mine into a telegraph pole just to see some metal actually cut! I truly believe I would have more success opening a can with a f***ing cable tie!
Seriously, unless you're Dynamo the Magician, do not buy this can opener!!!

• 2 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Model: C10001

Better off using a bread and butter knife to try and open a can!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2017

Omg....what a waste of money this purchase was! Went to open a can of beetroot for an Australia Day BBQ and this piece of crop just pierced the can enough for the juice to go everywhere and then just proceeded to mangle the can's lip so we couldn't use any other opener on hand. After skinning 2 knuckles, we finally got to the beetroot with tin snips and a pair of pliers, and you guessed it......the Magican went straight in the bin!!!

Culinare MagiCan from Woolworths

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2017

This would have to be the worst can opener & dangerous to boot. I have spent the last 15mins trying to open a can of beetroot to no avail. It quarter opened & had to resort to pliers to bend the top of the can back .Not only dangerous & messy it is time consuming. These openers sit of the shelves of Woolworths for $15 & unsuspecting customer purchase them & they don't work.
Most peolpe wouldn't bother to or don't have access to a computer to ask for any recall. They are a rip off don't buy them.

the worst can opener

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2016

Why would you make a can opener that cuts from the side and spills juices down onto your bench? Our previous can opener cut from the top, made no mess and didn't leave a super sharp edge on the can ! I won't let my 9 year old use it! It's dangerous! She used the old one no problem at all!
Back to the drawing board I feel!

The Best Can Opener

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2016

This is one of the best can openers i have ever had to date. I had tried the cheaper can openers from various stores and found out that this is practically one of the better can openers out there. Not the MagiCan Auto, no this is totally different. With its stainless steel blades and comfortable handle design along with its simple but stable grip onto cans, it easily makes my list. I have had it for years now and it still works wonders. Happy as a duck. Will definitely buy another one if this one breaks. :)

Comments

Please note that this type of can opener needs to be placed on the top of the can and not on the side. :)

Very poor product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2016

Terrible - the magican that I had was great so I bought another - terrible - why have a can opener if it doesn't open a can !!!!!!!!! poor product

Garbage

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2016

Had old can opener 15 years this one is rubbish better off using a sharp piece of wood Worst product I have ever bought. Coles should take them off the shelf

• 2 questions
  • 12 answers

Buy a chistel

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2016

Agree, wouldn't puncture the can let alone cut it. Coles sell better ones for $2 that at least work. looks great in the fancy kitchenware shop though. Can't comment on the sharp edge, never got any edge.

Dosen't cut through cans

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2016

I have a magican opener and it dosen't cut through cans. I have had this type of opener before and that it what made me buy another one. I would not reccommend this.

Complete rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2016

Had an old MagiCan for many years until the cutting disc became blunt and so the unit needed to be replaced. Bought another one and boy what a piece of junk. Just would not open a can after several uses. Very disappointed. Something has changed and not for the better. Never will buy again.

Lethal

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 03, 2016

Once opened the tin cans are left with extremely sharp edges that are lethal. After opening these would have to be kept well away from children and pets. Not recommended at all.

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Cannot get it to work!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2016

Bought this at Victoria's Basement in January 2016 and neither my husband nor I can open anything, we've tried different types of cans with no success at all. Our old one is marvellous.

Comments

I can't either and I got mine from same place - this is my second one, the first one I've had for years and have no trouble but this new one neither myself or my husband can use.

• 2 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Model: C10000

Useless. The old model was good

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2016

Brought and returned to Coles in the same day. Useless! The old model I've had for years is brilliant. This model is a waste of time. Who designed this? They all need to be recalled.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Warrnambool

Model: C10001

Overpriced rubbish to be avoided

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2015

Worked great for the first 3 months. Then used it to open a large can and snap! broke right through a weak point on the right side handle. I am not strong but this thing is just flimsy weak inferior chinese made junk. Save your money!

Purchased at: Woolworths

Do Not Buy This!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2015

Such a waste of money worked well for about a month and is now useless and doesn't latch on to the can at all. So annoyed as it wasn't exactly cheap. Stay away!!

Purchased at: Coles

1 of 3 pages

What year was Magican invented?

Michael asked on Mar 08, 2017

Really??

Why doesn't this Culinare MagiCan auto (can opener) open cans ???

Merryl asked on Mar 02, 2017

Answer this

The blade wouldn't puncture the can at the beginning, or it would pop out when you start turning the knob. It sort of felt like the plastic the arms were made of were not strong enough to apply the pressure to the blade.

You can please totally disregard my question …. Got my (clever) husband to watch the video (online) and he then managed to work out how the MagiCan works.
It does though leave a sharp edge on the can which the video says it doesn’t !!

Oh dear, I just ditched my old style magican, because it was blunt after 25 years!! Went to buy a new one yesterday, but they were all the new style. Didn't buy it, because of the way it now opens cans. Has anybody found another brand that works in the same manner as the old style? Think I am going to do a bit of research and contact the manufacturer regarding this issue.

GayB asked on Sep 06, 2016

Hi,
went back to shop and changed for Victorinox. Does open cans but is hard to turn and as SO is left handed it unscewed itself when she used it.
Looked in drawer and old one is Swingaway. Still works, but getting tired. We open a lot of large cans which must be stronger and only alternative is bulky commercial one at $190. Never knew a simple can opener could be so much drama.

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details