Melbourne

• 5 helpful votes

Service at Bourke Street > I may as well not have been there

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2017

I have been a shopper at David Jones, had a DJ Amex Card not because I particularly enjoyed the DJs experience, but because it's the only store with the brands I like.

To my surprise I found the online experience is not quite right, I had to jump through hoops in the checkout to get complete the sale and was asked to select a free gift which i didn't receive.

During the 2017 Golden Week promos, I was in store at the ground floor of Bourke Street. I may as well not have been there, as the sales assistants were clearly seeking the asian dollar over mine. I was ignored, walked past and had a back turn on me when trying to get some service.

So I cancelled my David Jones Amex Card and vowed never to shop there again.

(related side story) But I had to go back to shop there because i got my DJs credit card points paid out to me in DJ gift cards - $350 dollars worth. Yesterday i went to spend them in store for xmas gifts.... they had $0 credit on them!! This is actually more the fault of American Express... i just all-in-all lament the whole David Jones experience.

Christmas Hamper overpriced and extremely poor value

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2017

Received a David Jones Christmas Hamper gift. Chocolate Indulgence. Cost $ 99.95. Checked price of contents which came to less than $60 and in a very cheap basket. This is such poor value to the point of rip off. Would have expected more from David Jones.

Perth

Very slow delivery

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2017

Ordered an item online and it took a week before I got a 'shipping confirmation' that it had been shipped. It has now sat for a week 'uncollected' by Auspost according to their own tracking system. Rang DJ up and they said they could run a shipping investigation but that would take 36 hours. I have no idea when I am going to get the item when the original delivery forecast was for yesterday. Complete shambles. Also don't respond to emails sent via the 'Contact Us' section of their website.

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2017

Tried to view store card account 'on line' -- never available. Lost order while shipping, There is no Customer Service, their help desk is a farce and their product range in Sydney is deteriorating so fast, it is not worth while visiting the store and 'On line' services are ten years behind the industry.

Worst customer service at entry point

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2017

I have had 3 phone calls to the David Jones operator and had to explain what a Fascinatir was. This morning I asked to be put through to Camilla and they put me through to shoes!

• 1 review

Order on line

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2017

Terrible service!
I received a notification that the order is ready for a pick-up, but when I came I was told that it is a mistake and it wasn’t ready. Well, I came in 4 days and I was told that they are out of stock for rgis item! The same happened with my other order-it turned out of stock when I came but no one notified me! And when I made an order initially the items were available. I will highly recommend management to update their systems properly and keep customers in the loop for the most recent information.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Canberra

• 3 helpful votes

No customer service at David Jones Woden

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2017

I liked a pj top which doesn't have a price. I asked one of the Asian girl to check the price for me. She took my mobile number but she nevered got back to me. She didn't respond to me when I returned to follow up on the top. There's always lack of people working and no one demonstrates customer service.

• 2 helpful votes

Excellent Products and Customer Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2017

David Jones Chatswood Chase, been there for Christmas shopping. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. So much knowledge of the products they have. Highly recommended for their products.

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

Bad Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

I went to DJ in Southland on the weekend to buy the slippers. Having found a pair I was comfortable with, I wanted to check if other colours were available. I’ve asked one of the shop assistants to check, but she got busy with other customers and left me waiting for 10-15 minutes. I’ve asked another assistant to check and was told that it was the last pair. I said that I would purchase them, but was told that because there was no tag on these slippers, she could not determine the model and the price to charge. She asked me to come back during the week when the "Manager" would be able to sort this out. When I came home, I opened the DJ website and found the model of those slippers and placed an online order directly with the distributor. If someone would have told me this story, I would struggle to believe it, but there you have it - one lazy shop assistant who doesn’t know the products that they sell, and could not be bothered to find out to help the customer gives the whole department store a bad name. They then wonder why the business doesn’t grow and the customer doesn’t want to come in.

Private message

Overpriced poor quality products plus very poor service from David Jones...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

We ordered an "Entune Living" 2.2m Oak dining table including 6 chairs from David Jones 4 weeks ago. At the relatively high price of $4,000 (after their 30% sale discount) we initially thought it might have been locally made, however this was not the case (Chinese of course).

The subsequent product and service issues we had were:

- assistant couldn't figure out how to process the order because the deposit had been paid earlier the same day (apparently you're not supposed to do that)

- despite the item being in stock, they quoted 2 weeks delivery, which seems excessive for a 1 - 2 day interstate truck ride

- this blew out to 4 weeks when David Jones realised somebody hadn't even entered the order into the system

- delivery people were supposed to ring 30 minutes prior to delivery but they didn't bother

- David Jones gave the impression that what we saw in the store would be delivered, however the whole table required quite difficult and complicated assembly (even by people with Engineering Degrees)

- Manufacturing errors in the support structure below the table top meant that it was possible to tighten the screws so far in that they actually broke through the top (laminated) wooden surface of the table. Luckily the top was able to pressed back to cover up the damage (to a table that wasn't even supposed to require assembly)

- delivery driver mentioned that the recipient of his previous delivery also hadn't been told that she would need to assemble the table (good luck with that)

Overall a very poor shopping experience due to poorly manufactured product, poor product knowledge by David Jones assistant, and dysfunctional order processing and delivery procedures.

Unless you want to pay too much and get totally messed around from start to finish, stay right away from David Jones.

Terrible Customer Service - Poor Communication

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

My husband and I placed three orders with David Jones via the in-store delivery service for a Sealy bed set, Miele washer/dryer and a Fisher & Paykel fridge/freezer for a house move. The customer service has been so terrible that we won't be returning there for anything else in future.

We went in-store to order our fridge/freezer to be told initially to come back two-weeks in advance of the desired delivery date so that stock could be honoured. I cannot understand the decision to turn away customers who wish to spend their money just because David Jones have no system to keep track of customer orders. It is a simple task to automatically check stock with suppliers proximate to a delivery date without customers having to make a return trip to the store to place an order at a time convenient for David Jones. We should not have returned at that point, but we did.

After placing the order for the fridge two weeks in advance (as requested) we were expecting delivery on today's date. We heard nothing from the supplier about confirming the delivery time, as David Jones had promised, despite me telephoning them directly. David Jones subsequently assured me, however, that the delivery was on track a few days before the delivery date. I waited 8 hours at my home today and there has been no delivery, or news of the delivery.

I phoned David Jones to follow-up, but was told that F&P's third-party delivery company wouldn’t return their calls. I was advised to simply “relax and read a book to pass the time" by a David Jones staff member, who also told me when I could leave and "put down my book to do all the other important things I had to do". This sort of patronising language is completely unacceptable. Whilst I understand that deliveries involving a third party are difficult to control, I suggest using a delivery company/supplier that accepts phone calls to prevent me waiting needlessly at my property. We cannot move into our house properly unless we have a working fridge!

It is at the point now where I have spoken to David Jones associates four times today with no updates or progress. It doesn't appear that they know where our delivery is. We suspect that they didn't place the order correctly in the first place, and we are not being communicated to honestly in order for them to save face.

I would attempt to sort this mess out in-store, rather than spending my life on the phone, but when trying to pay for our Miele washer/dryer it took 3 members of staff almost two hours to process our payment. No one seemed to understand the filing system of another colleague (who appeared to be hiding paperwork to get full commission). Further to that, another colleague miscalculated our balance owing because she had decided to work it out using mental arithmetic with pencil and paper. Two hours and three separate payment receipts later, (whilst she served customers at the till in-between) we had our order.

The Sealy bed base was also delivered sopping wet with water damage. Why were soft furnishings delivered in the rain if the Sealy depot/delivery company is unable to keep the stock dry? We have had no choice but to sleep on the floor for two nights over the weekend until the base was dry. The Sealy sales rep did phone to follow-up on the order, but since I'd heard her making rude comments about us in-store to her colleague I didn't really wish to engage with her again.

Much to be improved, David Jones. If I could give 0 stars I would. We've spent thousands of dollars in your store to be left with damaged items or no items at all.

Adelaide, South Australia

• 1 question

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2017

Entered the David Jones Store at Marion, looking for a 21st birthday present; was looking for a "pen and pencil set". When I spoke to the assistant and the counter, she initially said I think we only sell pens now. Though she had a look around the counter and located 2 "pen and pencil sets".
She provided me with some paper, to allow me check that the pen and pencil worked. I was also informed that you could buy replacement cartridges for the pen at the store.
As we were talking while paying, she said you can always get the set engraved.
I was shown two sets, one a silver and chrome set, the other was a gold and chrome set. The gold and chrome set is the one I purchased.
The assistant was not hurried and allowed me time to make my selection.
A very pleasant experience.

Brisbane

No staff on floor of David Jones city store brisbane

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2017

Christmas time ! Monday 10 30 am wanting to spend 300 dollars on Elizabeth Arden products. No one in sight ! Usually no one here but usually at nearby counters . no one !!!! Ghost town !! Ridiculous !!

Excellent Customer Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2017

Online shopping is so easy to navigate. The delivery service is prompt and if you need to return a item they are polite and refund is prompt. I can highly recommend them for service and attitude.

Sydney, NSW

• 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

Expensive!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

This little department store which opened up in Barangaroo is SO expensive, You walk in and walk right back out the door! The average person cannot shop there, unless of course you earn nice $$$ and you want "name brands" starting from $300 a pop! And perhaps the tourists who have too much money to spend will flock into the midget store to pay ridiculous prices, good luck.

• 3 helpful votes

Extremely prompt delivery, items as ordered, free delivery over $100

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

I placed an order for some Clinique eye-shadows and a Glasshouse candle last Sunday afternoon and they were there waiting for me on my front door-step, early on Tuesday morning.
Very happy with the online experience and extremely fast delivery.
Even more impressive as I live in a regional area, outside the main cities.
Would definitely use David Jones again for online shopping.
Though I would prefer free delivery for every $60.00 spent, rather than every $100.

Private message

Online shopping search functionality - primitive

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

The search functionality is extremely low grade. It's impossible to get accurate, targeted search results so it's far too time consusing to shop online with DJ's. A very poor reflection on DJ's that does note live up to their brand aspirations at all.

Terrible Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

I ordered an Bag online and wanted to get it delivered which was eligible for free delivery but item was not available for delivery. So I had to choose a Store (Bondi). I received receipt and email confirmation soon after but next morning I received a call from Bondi Store saying item is not available and they have to cancel my order. I was told the Item is available in other store but they can not transfer the money to other store and place an order on behalf of me. They could even help to order from other store and asked me to pick up later. Rather doing this they were giving me only option to get a refund and they acted like they are working for a franchise who does not have any business with other store.

When I asked how long it takes to get the refund 2 business days and comes to my Paypal account not in my bank. Then another 3/4 days from Paypal to Bank.

David Jones conducting itself like a $2 shop!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

I visited David Jones in Highett Vic yesterday, November 2nd. I bought two birthday gift items for around $300. When I requested the items be wrapped, I was directed to the Customer Service dept. I was also informed it would cost me 9.95. Since I was pressed for time and had no choice, I paid the 9.95. In future my choice will be to avoid David Jones. They may have fleeced me for nearly $10 but they've lost a future customer.

Macarthur Square NO STAFF

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

I'm sick and tired of going into David Jones in Macarthur Square and never being able to find staff.

Last Tuesday (31st OCT) I went in to purchase a mens bag. The bag I found had no price on it. After not being able to find anyone at all on the level, I eventually found a lady in the baby section.

After waiting another 15 minutes, she found a plain clothed male who proceeded to attempt to locate the price.

The man walked off without telling me where he was going with the bag and the lady said she will be back in a minute as she had a customer.

I waited another 20 mins but no one came back to me with an update.

I left the store very upset and the lady who was now without a customer just watched me and smiled....

Is it really that hard to go in there and buy something.

I went a couple shops down and bought a bag in about 3 minutes.

What a joke.

I am a director of a very large company and will now take my business as well as advise anyone and everyone I can think of to avoid at all costs.

1 of 20 pages