Models:

Verified Purchase Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Apr 2015

My $1250 Dux now DIES after 3 year of usage life!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

My Dux 135D5N unit installed Dec 2015 and now it's got same problem as other reviews: Dux is rubbish.
Pilot continually went out, need to ignite very a few days, my local plumber replaced controller, however, the problem persists, Issue of pilot going out, and flames shooting up through face of unit and shut down itself.

My Dux now it DIES. The warranty is worth nothing as far as I'm concerned. It's a piece of junk if it only lasts 2 years. Most people expect their hot water system to last for 10 years at least.
Pilot light keeps going out. this is known product problem so should be covered by warranty or recalled. Dux said bad luck. shame on you dux.
Please take heed before you buy a water heater from dux as they are rubbish and will cost you $350 fortune with little chance to repair if possible. It will cost less to replace it with a decent unit in the long term. Never Dux again.

Decided to get my local plumber in to replace it with R… Continuous Flow Hot Water System. Would advise everyone to steer clear of all Dux products as the quality is non existent.

Glen Waverley

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Jan 2013

Sometimes you get done

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2018

What a piece of rubbish, same issue as others, the flap at the top stops working rendering the heater useless. This is a design flaw but instead of being helpful in fixing it you are told there is only a one year warranty and good luck. The tank may last 10 yrs but the flap seems to have a life of 2 to 3 yrs. Wow, what a rip-off.

Purchased at: Bunnings Warehouse

Comments
Dux Official

HI ZigF, We're sorry to hear about your Dux product experience. We understand this would be frustrating. We take product quality seriously at Dux, and have a proud history of manufacturing these... read more »

So are you implying that because I didn't spend a few hundred dollars every few years to have my heater looked at, rather than a design flaw, is the reason I'm spending $2,000 dollars to replace a ... read more »

Hamlyn terrace

• 3 comments
  • 2 answers

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Garbage product terrible service in fact I would say arrogant

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

Do not buy this piece of junk... I got this with a new house build.. less than 2 years in the thermocouple has failed causing my gas bill to increase and also at some point the insulation has caught fire.... I called the builder who advised they no longer use that product due to reliability.... they shirked their responsibilities. Called dux.... stand behind 12 month warranty on a 1200 dollar product.
End result I’m out of pocket close three hundred dollars with my only option being to take them to court... fair trade are a toothless tiger and these mongrels know it... do not buy this piece of crap hot water system.... you will regret it... check all the reviews online.... they all say a similar thing.... I suspect someone’s hot water system will blow up , some poor soul will be severely injured and dux will get sued...

Purchased at: Montgomery Homes

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Dux Official

Dear Dan, We're sorry to hear about your experience with our product and are keen to know how we can help resolve the situation. Can you please email your contact details, model number and serial... read more »

Dear Dux , Fair trade has already been in contact with you. Your response to them was that my thermocouple was out of warranty and there for you will not cover. My only option is to take you to the... read more »

Update... I sent an email to the dux email address the same day the dux rep responded to the review with the details required. So far not a word from Dux.... if they actually do anything I will be sure to update this post

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Dangerous Product - No After Sales Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2018

We had multiple issues with the unit when it was first installed back in 2015 but just recently we had a plumber come out because we could smell a burning smell whenever we used hot water. The plumber opened it up and all the insulation inside was melted and burnt. The plumber called Dux and established that it was a broken part that needed replacing. I sourced the new part but my plumber said he wouldn't touch it because he felt the unit was unsafe and that his company would be responsible for it if they did any work. Called Dux multiple times to see if I could get a Dux trained gas plumber to come and fix it (at my cost of course) but apparently there are absolutely none in the whole of Brisbane!!!! The two nearest they gave me were Caboolture (not Brisbane for those not from Queensland) or Deception Bay (also not Brisbane). Of those two, one was away for five weeks and the other had just had his gas bloke resign. When I called again they started listing ones in Townsville and Rockhampton. Those are a 2hr and 1.5hr flight from Brisbane!!! I don't think that's going to work. They then gave me the name of someone that was again outside Brisbane but at least within driving distance but when I spoke to them they said they no longer worked with Dux and that Dux had so thoroughly mistreated all the companies they had worked with that they had burnt all their bridges. So basically, if you live in Brisbane (the capital city of Queensland) you can not get a Dux registered plumber to come and fix your unit. I am now stuck with a hot water system that catches fire whenever I use it, and no one can or will fix it.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Dux Official

Hi Leah, We're sorry to hear about your experience with our Dux 5 star gas storage product. We're considering how best to resolve this issue for you. Can you please email your complete name, con... read more »

Wantirna South

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: May 2014

Dangerous Product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I purchased this through bunnings on May 2014. Two days back it failed to work. The cost to replace the pilot valve is $400. I noticed the rigifoam packing surrounded the cylinder were melted. When I called them they said it's out of warranty. This is a manufacturing fault. not a wear and tear. They said they can provide the packing but we need to pay for the plumber to get it fixed. I decided to install a new aquamax heater.

Perth

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Dangerous product.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

Do not buy! Dangerous product. We purchased this product less than 3 years ago. Last week due to an internal fault with one of the parts, it caught fire. The pilot light would not stay lit, and our plumber has told us we were risking electrocution by attempting to relight it. When contacted Dux refused to offer any assistance.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Dux Official

Hi Rhee J, We would better like to understand your product experience in some more detail. Can you please provide your best email and phone contact details to help@dux.com.au?

Perth

Verified Purchase Model: 170D5N Gas Type: Natural Gas Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Caught on fire.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2018

This system caught on fire !!! We only built our house in 2015. We had no problems until one day it just caught on fire.
It only comes with 1 year warranty. There are several reviews the same. It’s disgusting.
I don’t know how these guys are still in business.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Dux Official

Hi Sharrree, We would better like to understand your product experience in some more detail. Can you please provide your best email and phone contact details to help@dux.com.au?

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: May 2014

Worst product in Australia. Waste of Money. Gemmill Homes should responsible for installing a worst

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2018

Just after 1 year moving to new home, worst problem ever had is no hot water because of this system. I had to call the plumber (who recommended by Dux) several times and spent lot of money on this. No point wasting further money and decided to remove totally and install a new system. Today also I spent $185 and the plumber told need to install another part cost more than $500. Just after the plumber left, it went off again. Sorry to everyone who got Dux HWS.

Purchased at: Gemmill Homes

Perth, Western Australia

• 1 question
  • 1 answer

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: Aug 2014

Worst thing I've ever had. Do not buy!!!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 18, 2018

W had the unit installed when we built the house in 2014.
All good for a year or so then the pilot light started going out every few days. Rang dux who said it's out of warranty but we can fix it at your cost. no thanks. Got my own plumber out who couldn't figure out the reason so we just kept lighting it.

2.5 years later i smell burning plastic, the water is REALLY hot and then the next day the light goes out. Open it up to find the insulation has been on fire and is all burned!!! I'm assuming my water was extra hot from all the heat from the burning insulation. So incredibly dangerous!!!

I called my plumber who was horrified. We called dux who offered a protector plate that i could fit at my own cost. No thanks. This thing is too dangerous, i was worried my house would catch on fire.
I called our builder who sent someone out to have a look but in the end they said wasn't their problem as is 4 years old.

So tomorrow my plumber is installing a brand new hot water system that i can't afford and shouldn't need to be buying for a home that isn't even 4 years old!

What kind of warranty do dux have???

Never ever ever but a fix product. If i ever build again i will be choosing my hot water system and if i buy a house I'll be replacing it before i even nice in, if there is a dux installed.

I've made a complained to the product safety govt website. These units should be recalled and dux should be reimbursing customers.

Adelaide, SA

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Unit failed after just 2 years.. flue damper faulty. Dangerous flame

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2018

After two years we started seeing the pilot light being lost.. It was very puzzling it would relight easily but as soon as the main jet lit the whole thing would blow out.. After a significant investigation it was discovered that the Flue Damper was not opening this resulted in a very poor flame that was bordering on dangerous as with the flue shut the flame would often billow out the front of the burn chamber.

It would seem that Dux Tech Support are shut for at least another week and the plumber couldn't contact them to get advice, in the meantime he's jammed open the flue damper so we have hot water. I would not recommend anyone buying a Dux Prodigy, I am left with the bill for the investigation that I am not happy about.

If others are seeing a loss of pilot light I would recommend relighting it, turning up the thermostat and checking that the main jet flame is not flickering about and orange.. if it is you also likely have a flue damper that is not opening.

Not Happy Dux.

Purchased at: Reece

Melbourne

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Horrible system would not recommend this to anyone.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2017

Worst hot water unit in the world. If DUX can’t build something as simple as a water heater, maybe they are in the wrong business. My home brand kettle does a better job. Companies like this won’t last long especially in this day and age with social media and product review. Only a matter of time before these guys close shop due to no sales. Pilot light keeps turning off. Inconsistent water temperature. Very noisy system.

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Expensive and unreliable

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

Had problems with this from the first year (2013) it was installed. As lots here have experienced, the pilot light kept going out. As it was within the first year of installation, a technician came by and fixed the issue at no cost. Four years later, the unit has now completely stopped working. As it was going to cost hundreds to fix, I opted for a new unit but from a different manufacturer. Never buying a Dux unit again. Beware.

Adelaide

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Absolute scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

Brought a Dux 135L hot water service in 2014. Pilot light started going out a few months ago and not relighting. Had a plumber in. Could maybe fix it for $650-$750 but advised if we wanted reliability we should purchase a new unit. Contacted Dux to see if there was anything we could do about getting some compensation and they didn't want to know about it - absolute worst customer service - we are now out $1500 for the new unit. Don't know how they keep getting away with it. Do not buy this product!!!

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Do not buy a Dux Prodigy water heater...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

This heater is good, when it works. Too unreliable. After 4 callouts in 4 years I gave up and bought another brand. The plumber I called for the last breakdown said they were over complicated, unreliable rubbish and to get rid of it. So I did. I am quite annoyed to have to buy a new heater after only 4 years but I think it is a case of good riddance.

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Dux should be renamed DUD!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2017

The biggest waste of money i have spent. Bought a Dux Prodigy 5 from Bunnings in April 2017 and regret that decision, we had the usual problem of the burner going out constantly and then the unit would sound like it exploded every time the burners ignited. I contacted Dux who sent a rep out who offered to replace the unit but would charge $650 to install, how generous. I had always had a Rheem gas h/w system before and only bought the Dux froms Bunnings in desperation as after 15 years the original system decided to retire itself on a Saturday afternoon and we needed hotwater urgently. The 3-month-old Dux now sits on my trailer ready for a oneway trip to the tip having been replaced by a Rheem. Admittedly I might have bought a lemon but after reading many many negative reviews I feel it must have been a BIG lemon tree.

WA

• 4 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: May 2014

Expensive Rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

This is the second unit in 3 years, builder had to replace original unit 2 days after installation as cylinder unit was leaking badly, this second unit has gone through 3 tempering valves in 12 months, now the entire unit has corroded and water leaking as well as gas as the pilot light has gone out, also looks like the foam has been smouldering. Very dangerous units.

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: Sep 2014

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2017

Purchased Dux Prodigy 5 in September 2014, it was ok to start with but have now had to replace the unit as problems with the pilot lighter. The manual said, "This is your assurance that you have purchased the highest quality hot water heater available, one that will provide continuous hot water for all your needs - safely for many years to come." What is disappointment! Our unit wasn't even 3 years old before we had to replace it. I won't be buying a Dux product anytime soon.

• 7 helpful votes

Model: 170D5L Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Dont buy this product it is absolutely shocking

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2017

I bought a prodigy 5 gas hot water system it has been so poor the worst thing i have ever bought tank leaks components replaced one thing after another and its only 2 years old.and spent 2 years of my life relighting the pilot.i would not recommend this product to anyone what so ever. Dux absolutely shocking.

Sydney

• 7 helpful votes

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Dux hot water system is very Problematic system

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

Dux hot water system is very Problematic system. System won’t work after warranty period(12 months). Very bad customer support. They are saying I am unlucky person to get faulty system and I need pay the repair cost. i had problems from when they installed.
I saw other reviews and everyone has same problem. Hence not recommended

Melbourne

• 1 answer
  • 13 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Extremely unreliable. Contact your point of Sales as well as Dux.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2017

I bought a Dux 135 Litre Prodigy outdoors water heater around the start of 2014. The pilot light kept going out every few days and I called Dux's customer service. They were not very helpful and insisted they would charge us around $140 to inspect the unit as this problem occured after the 12 month warranty period.

I contact my point of sales store which was Bunnings (via email and requested a personal reply, since store personnel just told me to contact Dux) and they were able to facilitate a replacement for the unit. This experience has taught me that Dux may have poor customer service but they do care about their point of sales since Dux relies on them for income. Also, as it's stated on the ACCC website, the point of sales cannot pass a consumer onto the manufacturer for defects and must assist in resolving the issue.

Anyways, now 2 years after the replacement (which happened Jan 2015), the unit has suffered a major fault as the insulation is melting around the bottom of the unit and when I relit the unit I can smell a strong gas odour. I am now in the process of contacting Bunnings and Dux again to try and obtain a refund.

I'll update my progress on this website in the hopes of providing an effective way to resolve faults of Dux products.

1 of 3 pages