Adelaide, SA

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Unit failed after just 2 years.. flue damper faulty. Dangerous flame

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2018

After two years we started seeing the pilot light being lost.. It was very puzzling it would relight easily but as soon as the main jet lit the whole thing would blow out.. After a significant investigation it was discovered that the Flue Damper was not opening this resulted in a very poor flame that was bordering on dangerous as with the flue shut the flame would often billow out the front of the burn chamber.

It would seem that Dux Tech Support are shut for at least another week and the plumber couldn't contact them to get advice, in the meantime he's jammed open the flue damper so we have hot water. I would not recommend anyone buying a Dux Prodigy, I am left with the bill for the investigation that I am not happy about.

If others are seeing a loss of pilot light I would recommend relighting it, turning up the thermostat and checking that the main jet flame is not flickering about and orange.. if it is you also likely have a flue damper that is not opening.

Not Happy Dux.

Purchased at: Reece

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Worst piece of junk ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

Avoid like the damn plague!!! We got ripped off by Ventura homes when they thought they would be cheap and install this piece of crap.. So rubbish.. Guarantee to not last longer than a year! Now we have to spend money to rip this trap out and put a new one in there... Stay away from this brand.. No one has given any model of these a good review..

Purchased at: Ventura Homes

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Horrible system would not recommend this to anyone.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2017

Worst hot water unit in the world. If DUX can’t build something as simple as a water heater, maybe they are in the wrong business. My home brand kettle does a better job. Companies like this won’t last long especially in this day and age with social media and product review. Only a matter of time before these guys close shop due to no sales. Pilot light keeps turning off. Inconsistent water temperature. Very noisy system.

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Expensive and unreliable

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

Had problems with this from the first year (2013) it was installed. As lots here have experienced, the pilot light kept going out. As it was within the first year of installation, a technician came by and fixed the issue at no cost. Four years later, the unit has now completely stopped working. As it was going to cost hundreds to fix, I opted for a new unit but from a different manufacturer. Never buying a Dux unit again. Beware.

Adelaide

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Absolute scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

Brought a Dux 135L hot water service in 2014. Pilot light started going out a few months ago and not relighting. Had a plumber in. Could maybe fix it for $650-$750 but advised if we wanted reliability we should purchase a new unit. Contacted Dux to see if there was anything we could do about getting some compensation and they didn't want to know about it - absolute worst customer service - we are now out $1500 for the new unit. Don't know how they keep getting away with it. Do not buy this product!!!

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Do not buy a Dux Prodigy water heater...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

This heater is good, when it works. Too unreliable. After 4 callouts in 4 years I gave up and bought another brand. The plumber I called for the last breakdown said they were over complicated, unreliable rubbish and to get rid of it. So I did. I am quite annoyed to have to buy a new heater after only 4 years but I think it is a case of good riddance.

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Dux should be renamed DUD!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2017

The biggest waste of money i have spent. Bought a Dux Prodigy 5 from Bunnings in April 2017 and regret that decision, we had the usual problem of the burner going out constantly and then the unit would sound like it exploded every time the burners ignited. I contacted Dux who sent a rep out who offered to replace the unit but would charge $650 to install, how generous. I had always had a Rheem gas h/w system before and only bought the Dux froms Bunnings in desperation as after 15 years the original system decided to retire itself on a Saturday afternoon and we needed hotwater urgently. The 3-month-old Dux now sits on my trailer ready for a oneway trip to the tip having been replaced by a Rheem. Admittedly I might have bought a lemon but after reading many many negative reviews I feel it must have been a BIG lemon tree.

WA

• 4 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 7 helpful votes

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: May 2014

Expensive Rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

This is the second unit in 3 years, builder had to replace original unit 2 days after installation as cylinder unit was leaking badly, this second unit has gone through 3 tempering valves in 12 months, now the entire unit has corroded and water leaking as well as gas as the pilot light has gone out, also looks like the foam has been smouldering. Very dangerous units.

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: Sep 2014

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2017

Purchased Dux Prodigy 5 in September 2014, it was ok to start with but have now had to replace the unit as problems with the pilot lighter. The manual said, "This is your assurance that you have purchased the highest quality hot water heater available, one that will provide continuous hot water for all your needs - safely for many years to come." What is disappointment! Our unit wasn't even 3 years old before we had to replace it. I won't be buying a Dux product anytime soon.

Model: 170D5L Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Dont buy this product it is absolutely shocking

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2017

I bought a prodigy 5 gas hot water system it has been so poor the worst thing i have ever bought tank leaks components replaced one thing after another and its only 2 years old.and spent 2 years of my life relighting the pilot.i would not recommend this product to anyone what so ever. Dux absolutely shocking.

Sydney

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Dux hot water system is very Problematic system

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

Dux hot water system is very Problematic system. System won’t work after warranty period(12 months). Very bad customer support. They are saying I am unlucky person to get faulty system and I need pay the repair cost. i had problems from when they installed.
I saw other reviews and everyone has same problem. Hence not recommended

Melbourne

• 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Extremely unreliable. Contact your point of Sales as well as Dux.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2017

I bought a Dux 135 Litre Prodigy outdoors water heater around the start of 2014. The pilot light kept going out every few days and I called Dux's customer service. They were not very helpful and insisted they would charge us around $140 to inspect the unit as this problem occured after the 12 month warranty period.

I contact my point of sales store which was Bunnings (via email and requested a personal reply, since store personnel just told me to contact Dux) and they were able to facilitate a replacement for the unit. This experience has taught me that Dux may have poor customer service but they do care about their point of sales since Dux relies on them for income. Also, as it's stated on the ACCC website, the point of sales cannot pass a consumer onto the manufacturer for defects and must assist in resolving the issue.

Anyways, now 2 years after the replacement (which happened Jan 2015), the unit has suffered a major fault as the insulation is melting around the bottom of the unit and when I relit the unit I can smell a strong gas odour. I am now in the process of contacting Bunnings and Dux again to try and obtain a refund.

I'll update my progress on this website in the hopes of providing an effective way to resolve faults of Dux products.

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Gas hot water Dux

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2017

I have the same problem pilot light goes off all the time , I tried everything clean it many times . Try to ring Dux telling me it's out of warranty but can send someone out and have a look . I ring my plumber because he is a good friend of mine . What we did is make the pilot light bigger . We drilled a bigger whole 1 mm drill and then filled it up with a bit of electrical wire , because the flame was to big, and now it stays on. That what I think is the problem , the Pilot light whole is to small it get blocked up good luck .
Still had problem after one week , what I did now is open the flut on top of the heater, because it got lit on it now it, has been on every day never gone off any more, it is just the cover on top of the heater , because the air flow is not there . This will work !!

Model: 170D5L Date Purchased: Mar 2006

Utterly gutted

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2017

Disastrous,
I had no choice because the builder had it as a credit supplier. So we place 3 solar panels on the roof.
This is the history of this system:
- had to replace 2 thermostat in the tank, finally got the experts out to calibrate the system to MY specs.
- the 2 out of 3 panels sprung a leak; cost $400 labour to be replaced. The 3rd was replaced because I complained to Dux headquarters.
- 240V gas relay solenoid replaced. $360
- tank now leaks.
unfortunately all new approved building must have solar HWS. This is definitely not one to get. If you total the cost up there is no savings here, this system cost around $6-8K to fit and installed back in 2006.
It will cost and extra to removed those rubbish panels of the roof approx $700-800.
I'm utterly gutted and disgusted at this Dux gas boosted solar solutions.
Never install any of there products, it's cheap and disgusting manufacturing.
To top it off there system says in the specs frost protection built in; Well what this is, is a valve that opens up and lets tap drinking grade Melbourne water to flow out of the system into the down pipes out into storm water waste... This happens when it gets below 4C. So in winter expect a high water usage.......what savings?
I've now gone basic, disabled the solar hot water service and use a gas stainless steel tank thats NOT DUX.
If Dux reads this they can confirmed with me as there aurthosrised service agent has a complete record.

Purchased at: Metricon

• 14 helpful votes

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Would not use Dux again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 27, 2017

Bought the tank in June 2015 and now it doesn't light up. Contacted Dux as it has a 10 year warranty only to be told that its only a 1 year warranty on parts. What the? So they are telling me that the tank should only last 12 months? No way. Anyway i'm complaining to the NSW fair trading about this.

Model: 170D5L Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Pilot must be drunk

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2017

Just over a year old, pilot light goes out multiple times a week. This product is consistently bad, with everyone having the same issues. Really cranky that my builder put this in with so many consistently bad reviews.

ADELAIDE

Model: 135D5N Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Why dux continues to sell this product when it is obviously a customers nightmare, is beyond me! Bad

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

Never purchase this product at all! dux is a name that I cannot put any trust in! Replaced previous gas hot water service with a dux firstly in 2013. Constant problems with pilot going out daily, then the tank rusted out! Was replaced under warranty, 26/10/2016 by dux after great negotiations, and having to pay $385 installation costs as of course this company "dux" doesn't include that under their warranty?. Now this prodigy 5 gas hot water service has started playing up, pilot light going out constantly again! How can this company get away with such dodgy products in this country and still be getting away with this blatant conduct of such very bad business practices still today? I'm very dissatisfied with this company to say the least! Do yourself a favour and avoid dux at all costs! Terrible customer service as well!

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

piece of shit

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2017

absolute rubbish , bought the house with this thing installed its only just over a year old , lighting the pilot light is a daily chore , at first I thought it was something simple , thermos coupler checks out ok and plumber says very unlikely it would be the control valve, quoted 644 dollars to replace the parts, imagine doing this every 12 months, so much for cheap efficient hot water , will be getting solar and getting rid of gas to my property altogether, DEFINITELY DO NOT BUY ONE all these reviews tell me there is a design fault with these things and dux should be ashamed of themselves. i would give it no stars but you have to put something in the box? will be letting the gas company know dux is the reason for cancelling all gas to my property.

Model: 170D5N Date Purchased: May 2015

dud!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2016

Worst thing I have ever bought. Wouldn't be so bad if the service team were even the slightest bit helpful and took some accountability for this piece of turd. Pilot light keeps going out. This happened under warranty. After "NEGOTIATION!" Someone came out. Didn't admit to any manufacturing defect despite the fact he could get it going after half an hour. Then finally got it going. Ran for 4 months. Wow! Then the warranty ran out and the problem can back. With vengeance!! You would think the Dux team would come to the party..... but no. I was 6 months out of warranty. So after 2 hours on the phone with consumer affairs and Dux the finally agreed to pay for the repairs. It's still sitting here. I'm still waiting for a service technician to call. Dux Sux! REALLY BAD! I can rationalise the bad product but cannot rationalise the bad service. Fken terrible. How do you live with yourselves?

Model: 135D5L Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Problem after problem! steer clear of this one

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2016

I changed to a dux after being recommend from bunnings. The pilot light goes out once a month so I'm coming home to a surprise cold shower and my gas bills have risen dramatically and no help from due on the issue. do yourself a favour and buy a different brand

1 of 3 pages