The Dyson DC59 has been replaced by the newer Dyson V6 model.

• 3 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Jul 2014

Great while it lasted

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

We have used this regularly for the past 4 years and it really has been awesome. We have a 4 bedroom house and a mixture of carpet and hard flooring. For most of that time we have been able to whip around with the DC59 and do most or all of it without a recharge. That, however, changed over the past few months.

In that time, and after the warranty ceased 2 years ago, we have had to replace the filter and the motor head. That wasn't cheap. Now, we are looking at a replacement body and probably another battery - around $200 all-up. Frankly, we are going to just buy a new V7 for $399.

Comments
Dyson Official

Hi there, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson DC59. I am sorry to hear your machine isn't working as it should. I would kindly ask for you to reach out to our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.c... read more »

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Is is engineered to need replacing after the warranty period?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

Quite a good vacuum until just after the warranty runs out. This is my 3rd or 4th Dyson product, great when they are relatively new but fail after a short period of use (and always, in my experience, just after the warranty period). I think I will now finally dispense with Dyson products, the engineering, while clever, is also suspiciously devious (Volkswagen come to mind in this respect and their hidden engineered 'defeat device' which they denied existed for a long time).

Comments
Dyson Official

Hi there, Thank you for your query. While I am sorry to hear of the timing, this is not what we design our machines to do. In the event there is a problem with a Dyson machine, we are happy to he... read more »

via Beaudesert, Queensland

• 2 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 16 answers
  • 37 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: Animal Date Purchased: Mar 2014

Overpriced, underpowered, underwhelming

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2018

When I purchased this product I did it on the advice of friends who owned it or a previous model. I quickly regretted it.
. Although it was useful to be able to whip around and vacuum without dragging a cord, the suction on the standard setting, which lasts for 15 minutes, was miserable
. Suction was up to the level of a regular mains-powered vacuum cleaner in turbo mode, but that lasted a mere 5 minutes.
. The bin capacity was very limited, so it needed to be regularly emptied
. It didn't empty well; I had to mostly do a full bin removal and clear the debris off the filter to stop it from choking
. Following the prescribed charging regime (i.e. leave it on charge all the time when not in use), one is fortunate to get 2 years out of the battery. Replacement batteries BTW are $80 +
(A friend who has one actually got 4 years out of her battery by NOT leaving it on permanent charge.)
There's already a new model out which is claimed to be much more powerful with a 40% bigger bin.
Well, my model was supposed to be much more powerful than the one it replaced!

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Great machine until I had to rely on their customer service.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

Used frequently for 3 years and battery finally gave up. Went online to order new battery only to be informed to contact the hotline. Was told it was 103 minute wait. Hung up because who seriously has that sort of time. Decided to see if I could track down a local service centre in Perth. Found it and called the number but it was the same number as before. Email was the next option and waited the seven days for the response only to be told to go online to order the battery of which there were none in stock so please call the help line. Didn't want to wait the 77 minutes as per the recording so decided to take the two hour drive to the Perth shop. Was met by a lovely person only to be told that the batteries are on back order and they would be in in two weeks time but if I left my number they would post one out to me. That was 7 weeks ago. Suffice to say as good as the machine is or should I say was because I have turfed it and bought a competitors brand, the customer service is the worst i have ever experienced and for someone who lives in Perth who has built up a massive tolerance to to bad service, that is saying something.

Comments
Dyson Official

Hi Andrew, Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear of your experience. We have encountered an unexpected high volume of inquiries recently, however at the time of writing the current w... read more »

Thanks for the offer Mira but you only get once chance to provide good customer service. If its not provided at the first opportunity then any subsequent attempts will be moot. As i mentioned, I no... read more »

Hi Andrew,

I am sorry to hear you feel this way. Batteries are coming in regularly to minimize wait times, and we would be more than happy to assist should you change your mind and forward your details.

Shan

Melbourne

Verified Purchase Model: Animal Date Purchased: Dec 2014

Expensive, parts keep breaking, terrible customer service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

This has been our first Dyson purchase and initially, was very pleased with the suction performance for a stick vacuum. However we have needed the head replaced 3 times and now the wand is broken. It is used once daily for 20 mins, on timber floors mainly. We have spent $550 on a product with a good reputation as Dyson, and have been extremely disappointed with reliability for only 3.5 years lifespan. Customer service has been terrible. Waited on hold for 90 mins today, only to then go to voicemail, just disgraceful Dyson!

Update 26/6
Have to pay $35 for a new wand, includes free shipping. Now wondering what part is next to break or malfunction. Unfortunately will not buy another Dyson after this experience.

Purchased at: Myer

Brisbane

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Feb 2015

Animal DC59 battery and parts

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2018

I have an animal DC59 animal dyson - I've had issues from the start. Suction was average. I had to replace the head last year and now have to replace the battery. Vacuum is only 3 years old. After waiting on hold for an hour for customer service was told after reading from their manual to express how great the Dyson products are it's unfortunate but that's just how it is. Think a machine that you pay $500+ for should last longer than a couple years. It's adding to a consumable society where we throw things after 2 years and buy a new one! What happened to products lasting 15 years? I won't be purchasing another Dyson.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Dyson Official

Hi Kristin, Thank you for reviewing your machine. The battery is considered a consumable item and will sometimes need to be replaced during the lifetime of the machine. This is a part that can be... read more »

I'm aware of the cost as I've had to purchase one - as well as a charge and a new head - total cost $240. That's nearly half the cost of the machine. Sorry if you think that's reasonable for a mach... read more »

Dyson Official

Hi Kristin, We do apologise for the wait times you experienced. We acknowledge our wait time has been above our normal average and we have every possible Dyson Expert helping our owners, with more... read more »

Model: Standard Date Purchased: Feb 2015

Worst Vacuum Cleaner EVER!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2018

I have had this Vacuum cleaner for just over 3 years and I can vacuum for less than 2min....and every time I have to empty the dust chamber II have to find a pencil that i can swirl around to help guide the dust out! Ridiculous!!! On hold now to their service center and it is a 30min wait...Very expensive vacuum for such a short lifespan....The vacuum should come with a warning that it will have a very short lifespan. I would never buy another Dyson!

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
Dyson Official

Hi Carla, Thanks for your review and sorry to hear of your experience. We hope you were able to speak with our helpline and find a solution. If you were unable to wait we'd encourage you to contac... read more »

Narara

• 6 answers

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Dec 2013

59 Good but Over Priced

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

Generally Happy with the features and general performance of the 59,, BUT,,, given the appliance cost $540 and now need to pay $85 for a new battery after 4.5 years of random "infrequent" use ,,, plus,,, getting it to a Dyson technicial and a technician fee to replace the battery, I have come to the conclusion, that it is a good "over priced" appliance..
The surfaces this appliance was used on was predominantly "tiled flooring" and some carpet, so not heavily worked.
While I acknowledge this appliance is not expected to vacuum a home, I expected the use time would be longer for each full charge of the battery, hence feel the battery capacity was quite "under designed".
Value for money. ???? Not convinced.
Before replacing the battery, I will be looking at alternatives.

• 3 answers

Model: Standard Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Worth It

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2018

I bought this vacuum for my wife and have no regret in doing so. It is easy, light and efficient. With the purchase you are buying into a great customer support team and service. The only draw back being the length of charge it has. It runs out of battery after about 20 minutes of use but this has not really been an issue for what we use it for. Recommended. Although they have now upped the model for a longer lasting use and a more powerful engine.

Canberra

• 2 helpful votes

Model: Standard Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Little expensive but good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

This is very handy, a little over-priced but realiable vaccum cleaner, except few times when you really want to get something cleaned and you realise that it's short on battery and dies...

No battery indicator is another downside to this. We don't know how much battery it has. I wanted to clean my car with this and was short on time. It was running fine until it suddenly died (charging) and i had to wait another hour or so.

Comes with a lot of different size "hoses" is a plus point.

Melbourne

• 1 question

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Great vaccuum but had it fixed 3 times

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2018

Support has always been helpful, replacing the motor once and battery twice, even with it being out of warranty this last time, but the failure rate in comparison to how much we use it is pretty crazy. I hope the newer models are more robust as i'd like to use this vaccuum for years but figure i'll be repairing once a year. After paying so much money for it, it's a bit disappointing. If their support wasn't as good, i'd hate this dang thing.

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
Dyson Official

Hi there, Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear about this, we certainly wouldn't expect for a Dyson cord-free machine to need this much attention. Please be assured, whenever parts ar... read more »

Verified Purchase Model: Animal Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Great cleaner but appalling customer support

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2018

I have bought a number of Dyson products previously and have found them excellent. In the past I have had excellent after sales support and would not hesitate to recommend Dyson products to family and friends. However I can no longer recommend Dyson not because the product is poor but because the after sales service currently is appalling. I bought a Dyson DC59 stick vacuum cleaner in November 2014 and had no problem until recently when it just stopped working. I rang the support hotline, a misnomer if ever there was one! A recorded message advised me that the wait time was 101 minutes. Being unable to wait 101 minutes I decided to try again later in the day and once again was advised that the wait time was 94 minutes! I then decided I would try a 8am the next day when the hotline opened only to listen to a recorded message. I tried numerous times with no avail so in the meantime I emailed. The auto reply email said they would be in contact within 7 days and I could try the website which I did. After answering the questions to determine the course of action I should take I was promptly told to ring the hotline!
Eventually Dyson got back to me and eventually [Name Removed] rang me and suggested that I needed a new motor for $120. I questioned whether I may need a battery but she assured me that because of the colour and number of flashes it was the motor. Eventually a motor was sent, I followed the instructions, replaced the motor and absolutely nothing had changed. Still didn’t work, still the same number and coloured lights flashing. Once again I email, I’m told they will get back to me within 7 days. I ask them to ring me and eventually [Name Removed] rings and now tells me it’s the battery. I ask if I can return the motor and get a refund but she says no as the motor is broken as well at which point I remind her that it’s a new motor and the lights are still flashing which would therefore indicate that the new motor is also broken. So now I am asked if I want a technician to look at it for a cost of $65 payable later. I agree and, as I live a long way from Tarren Point, they will send me an email with an attachment I have to print out that includes the address and a reference number. I am to box the machine and put the printout on the box and take it to the nearest post office. Well, I get the email with no attachment and no reference number! So once again I email Dyson and they say they will get back to me within 7 days. This whole saga has taken 5 weeks, 16 emails, three phone calls , $120 and I still have a stick vacuum cleaner that doesn’t work. I’m not happy and I can’t recommend Dyson any longer.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Dyson Official

Hi Lesley, Thank you for reaching out. We do sincerely apologise for the delay, due to our recent technology launches and promotions we have had more calls than normal. Our Teams have been worki... read more »

Adelaide

• 5 helpful votes

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Jan 2014

Love Dyson overall, but still needs improvement

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2018

I love how easy it is to steer the Dyson stick vacuum around the house. We have a lot of tiles and carpets and use it on both. Because it's lightweight, the kids can also use it to clean their rooms. My parents loved ours, and consequently bought their own. It's fast charging, and turns itself off when charging is complete, that's fantastic! Why can't my iPhone do that? One of my favourite features of this vacuum is using it to reach cobwebs on high ceilings, and removing dust from the air con filters. My biggest issue is hair getting caught in the brush. In a household that includes 3 girls and a dog, the brush traps the hair which is great, however I constantly have to clean the brush which is a not easy at all. This is an issue with my upright Dyson also, and probably with every vacuum cleaner out there. I have recently discovered there is a hair free tangle brush available for the Dyson stick, and I will purchase despite the high price of $85 for an attachment. It should make my life easier. Also the barrel is fiddly to empty out, I have to use a spatula or knife to scrape it out when full, and I always press the start trigger by mistake which turns the vacuum on while the barrel is open! Annoying. Still love Dyson, looking forward to upgrading to the Dyson V10 when released, if I can afford it.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Comments

Quick update - I purchased the Dyson Tangle Free turbine ($85 on eBay) and it is amazing! It's a compact head (about 15cm wide) that sucks hair and dust in like magic, literally sounds like a littl... read more »

Dyson Official

Hi there, Thanks for your DC59 review. We recommend emptying the clear bin as soon as the debris reaches the Max line to ensure it's easy to empty, if dust gets caught above this, we'd recommend... read more »

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Has been really good!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2018

Has been really useful to have. Had it for over 3 years and other than it getting clogged constantly with hair, it has been good. Hope the new models have a longer battery life. Would be good if the corded ones became more portable around the house as the limited battery life is tough.

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: Standard Date Purchased: Dec 2014

Great vacuum

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 08, 2018

I owned a small one bedroom apartment and this vacuum cleaner was great for a small space. It's battery after one charge would be enough to vacuum my place over a couple of times, and because of its small size it was easily stored away. I would recommend this for anyone with a small house.

Canberra

• 4 answers

Model: Standard Date Purchased: Apr 2015

Has replaced normal vacuum

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

We have had the dyson dc59 for about 4 years now and it has been a really good purchase. It is so convenient to just pull out and clean something. The charging stand is awesome and means the dyson is ready to go when needed and easily accessible. Rather than having to find it somewhere hidden in a closet or spare room. My only complaint would be that the battery life apparently has been shortened by using the turbo function. This now no longer works but for a $100 I can get a new battery sent out. I think $50 is a reasonable cost for a new battery. Customer service is very good.

Model: Standard Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Will purchase is again, very good helper

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

Overall of this product is great, I feel I do not need Dyson most expensive handheld cleaner since this one does it job perfectly.
Using it nearly every day and has lasted for 3 years without any problem.

the only problem has to clean it often.
Will purchase it agian

Truganina

Model: Standard Date Purchased: May 2016

Wonderful vacuuming power!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2018

Ordered it during a sale at Big W. Very strong vacuuming power. very easily collects dirt from every corner or the house and in the car. Picks up hair easily and easy cleaning. Theres nothing that it wont pick up so far. Will recommend this product to other family members.

Purchased at: Big W

Matraville, NSW

• 10 answers

Model: Animal Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Works well and compact

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2018

It's great for small spaces and I like the wall mounted attachment which keeps it tucked away nicely and can charge neatly. Had no issues with it so long as the bagless catcher is cleared out when it starts getting near to full it works fine. Not as great a job as a larger machine but really good for inbetween times.

Purchased at: Big W

Upper coomera

• 2 comments
  • 5 answers

Model: Standard Date Purchased: Apr 2015

Battery time too short

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2017

. Happy with performance so far had for over 2 years now and just replaced the filter for $15 from Dyson no postage to pat
so was very happy with that
Easy to move around
Have hard tile floor and carpet in bedrooms hardly use my other plug in Dyson these days but then it just two adults
Battery life is a little to short and cannot clean whole house in one go that is they only thing that is a disappointment .

1 of 13 pages