Excellent but know what you are buying

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2018

I have just wound-up by SMSF with ESuperfund after ten years because of a change in my personal circumstances.
I think it is an excellent service but like anything, you must know what you are paying for. ESuperfund is for those who genuinely want to make their own investing decisions. Their annual compliance process is easy and gets better each year.
I have always found they answer email questions promptly but you must understand they are not in the business of giving financial advice.
I have never regretted joining ESuperfund and highly recommend them.

Terrible customer service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

Had enormous difficult contacting and dealing with esuper fund, they cancelled my contract with them with no warning based on my annual and GST statements not being signed the previous year. Very difficult to deal with the customer service manager, and on the few occasions he responded to emails they were rude and short.

Would not recommend

Perth Western Australia

Verified Customer

Superb product that continually improves

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

Since 2007 my fund has performed to my satisfaction during difficult times aided by its exceptionally low fees and capacity to accommodate a wide range of investments, including realty.

Leongatha

Verified Customer

Prompt support, good value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

We have been using Esuperfund for 10 years and the product has been improved on every year - the annual compliance process is nearly automated. The investment choices and purchasing decisions are our own and Esuperfund handle all of the compliance details. The website has comprehensive education modules with practical examples and covers all aspects of SMSFs. Mark and the team respond promptly to our email queries and keep us informed of any regulation changes. We would recommend Esuperfund to anyone wanting to take control of their own retirement funds.

No support at all

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

This company provides no support at all. Ring their number as if you're an existing customer and try to get through if you don't believe me.

Top SMSF support platform

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2018

I have been with esuperfund for over ten years. It the ideal support for handling my investments and our compliance obligations. Mark Needham's team are superb. They never fail to help and resolve any issues we might have. The design of this website is superb and keeps improving. We have never been questioned by the ATO or any other regulative body on any aspect of our compliance. Thank you for everything

Private message

A superb and elegant platform.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

I have been using this solid and practical platform now for 10 years. My dealings with Mark Needham and other members of the ESuperfund team have been faultless. The ease and accuracy of the electronic platform makes having a SMSF a breeze! They alway reply promptly with accurate succinct information that is both informative, practical and educational.

In using the platform it is helpful to be a bit computer savvy though.

Have a read through the Learn Sections to bring yourself up to date with the latest SMSF legislation. Very informative.

Thank you so much ESuper!!

Perth

Absolutely Useless and Zero Customer Support

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

Use these guys at your own peril.
They are cheaper than the others for a reason. No Support And No Care!!
If your return has any issues beyond what their tax clerks can handle they will simply axe you as a client and remove your usage from their platform to prevent you from asking anymore questions (which by the way is the only way you can communicate with these people as they have no access to any phone support whatsoever).
Do yourself a favor, Use Somebody Else!!
Don't trust these guys with your accounts.

fantastic service thank you Danny

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2018

I am a new member but so far everything works so smooth. I was dealing with Danny Kelb and service is absolutely superb and lightning fast. I used smsf to set up the fund and apply for a loan. Often received response within a few minutes or an hour. Amazing. Thank you for reassurance and very clear instructions.

Private message

Excellent product for the price

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

The staff at Esuper has been most helpful in getting the returns done whilst complying with quite onerous taxation demands imposed on a SMSF. Overall I'm happy with the sevice but perhaps, and this is only a comment not a criticism, the staff could be a bit more forthcoming regarding an individual's circumstances and benefits, although i acknowledge Esuper is not in the business of providing financial advice. Also, the move to an updated browser selection means I have to update my computer to finalise the annual checklist

Maylands

Esuper is SUPER

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

We've been with Esuper for 5 years and have been extremely happy with their SMSF admin/compliance reporting service. Good product, good service, excellent price.

Private message

Really easy SMSF - love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

Been with E Super for 7 years now....setting up was simple and straight forward. Ongoing maintenance is very simple and only requires a few hours at year end to keep things sweet. The team at E Super have always answered any of my questions promptly and in an easy to understand and action manner. I highly recommend E Super if you are thinking to start your own SMSF

Inverell

• 1 question

Reliable & Professional

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2018

I have been with ESuper about 10 years. They provide excellent service & efficient systems. They are puntual with responses and allow me to do what I want - make investment & strategic decisions. Cost wise they are very efficient and much better than having a SMSF through any other alternatives that I know of. They also continue to innovate & expand the service. I'm very happy with ESuper.

Excellent service - love them

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

We’ve been with ESUPERFUND for 4 years and absolutely love the service they offer. In the things that matter they have never let us down.

We understood the limitations of their service model from the start so our expectations have been realistic. It’s a low fee business model - we swapped to it after 15 years of using accountants who offered high fee, high service models but always fell short on the service side. With ESUPERFUND’s business model we do all the organising and uploading of data, manage our own investments, communicate through email, and don’t try to hurry things. That’s all fine because it keeps us on top of our super and gives us an understanding we never had when accountants did it all - and they charge 70% less then the accountants accordingly.

I like that all their communication is by email because it gives me a paper trail I can look back over and reread. I also appreciate all the extra communication and resources they provide (such as monthly newsletters) that allow us to keep up an understanding of SMSFs.

Brilliant!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2018

An extremely polished operation. Everything just works as it should and on the odd occasion when I have to ask a question I get a prompt and full response. I don't understand why anybody running their own SMSF would use a traditional accounting service. In my view, after being with them for three years, Esuperfund provides a much better service than a personal accountant who would typically charge four or five times as much. My quite large fund pays less than $1,000 per year and I have almost nothing to do other than complete a checklist each year. No records to manage or keep!

Private message

The simplest way to take control of your SMSF

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

I have been using E-superfund for about 10 years. They make it very simple and affordable to manage your SMSF exactly the way YOU want it, for a fixed, low fee. Compliance only takes a couple of hours a year!

Private message

Hope the phone is back on soon

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

Have been with Esuperfund for a few years . Although they were helpful but it was always have to wait a long time for their action. The hardest things for me is I couldn't talk to them , I can only email them.
I also find it very hard to do everything with a computer ... doing annual checklist .... upload a documents and so on . I would prefer sending all me documents to them . I hope they will put the phone back on .

Brisbane

Removing as a Client has Consequences

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 09, 2018

As widely experienced and reported, clients who don’t conform to eSuper’s accounts, investment criteria or schedule requirements will be dropped as a client without prejudice or confirmation. That’s fine. It happened to me but was deserved although I discovered a number of elapsed FY later. What is very important to note and be aware is that once eSuper cease serving you they do not automatically cancel the data feed access to your accounts ie ANZ V2 or CommSec. They do not also inform the status or follow ups after end of engagement. Therefore you have to manually request the account providers to cancel eSuper access. Also eSuper will not disclose if they continued access after ceasing the relationship and which third parties received your data. Something to keep in mind.

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Extremely happy with this service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

Was fed up with retail superfunds and was looking for a way to manage my own. Our Super had stood still for the past 10 years. When i started looking closer my anger only grew at how much i was getting rorted!

After some searching online and reading reviews i settled on Esuperfund and my only regret is not starting my own SMSF earlier. Esuperfund make it very simple to setup your own SMSF. There's forms to fill in and some reading to do but if you're happy to put in a bit of time (took me overall about 2 days work) you will never regret it.

Follow the ESuperFund recommendations of which banks, services, brokerage and insurance providers that electronically provide transaction statements and they do the rest. If there's anything you need to do ESuperFund are only an email away and will hold your hand.

It's my first year with ESuperfund and the difference is HUGE! I've grown our Super enormously by comparison to the retail superfunds with very little effort after setting it up and deciding which investments to buy into (mainly shares).

I would highly recommend ESuperFund to any person that can read and wants to take control of their investments. I've had a ball so far, learnt lots about investing and have made significant gains by taking control.

Don't believe what the so called experts say that you need $x amount to open your own SMSF. . . look at what you're getting charged in your Superfund (look for those hidden fees too), compare to the ESuperFund annual fee - if it's less and going to be less ongoing. . . you have your answer! I'm never looking back!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Canberra

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Efficient, cost effective and easy to use

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2018

Have been using Esuperfund for several years and very happy with the service. Annual tax return and audit usually completed within 3 months. Very cost effective with an easy to use web site. They always answer my questions within 48 hours. You need to understand the basic rules for running a SMSF and be able to scan and upload any documents they request such as managed fund investments and dividend reinvestments. You can only contact them through emails so don't expect to have telephone conversations re queries. Only disadvantage is they don't offer real time valuation of investments so you need to keep your own spreadsheet if you want this or use the brokers web site. Also they don't automatically update new managed fund investments on web site although this may be possible in the future. I would recommend them to anyone seeking a low cost administration service providing you are familiar with SMSF operating rules.

1 of 19 pages

I am thinking of transferring to an SMSF (currently in std super fund) and whilst, I believe that, I can purchase investment properties with a SMSF - can I transfer my CURRENT investment properties to the fund - if "yes" how hard is this?

Tony asked on Oct 25, 2018

Answer this

You need professional advice for that question.

I can tell you that we have an investment property owned by our smsf. Managing it via ESUPERFUND is no special hassle. They do actuarial certificates when required at very low cost. They require a valuation each year, so I just do it as a meeting minute, claiming an actual value and supporting it with examples of local sales. Otherwise just the normal documentation - copy of lease, rental income statement, expense receipts etc to be uploaded each year via their web portal. The property is fully owned, might be different if under finance.

The following is just my understanding and you should consult a specialist to discuss the following issues:
1) If the existing investment property is outside of your 'standard superfund' and held in a private capacity, then it would need to be valued and then transferred in to your super fund, probably as an 'undeducted contribution'.
2) The value transferred in would need to be below the 'ATO's 3 year bring forward rules' for super contributions. Additionally, the transfer would trigger a capital gains event in your personal capacity (since the transfer triggers a change of ownership from you to your SMSF). This could have a serious negative impact on your tax bill!
3) If the property is financed then the finance and ownership would most likely need to be 'redone' so that the SMSF is the registered owner.
Further complicating this is the fact that many banks have restricted lending for property purchases to SMSFs due to the fact that SMSFs can only take on limited recourse loans (ie no further claims by the bank (upon default) beyond taking back the property).

This answer comes from the link below ...

You cannot transfer residential property into your SMSF from a related party. You can only transfer Business Real Property (that is commercial or industrial property) into a SMSF from a related party.

You can buy new residential property inside your SMSF, and you can also borrow within the fund (using a non-recourse loan) to help you buy it, or you could buy it as tenants-in-common with your SMSF (that is you own say 50% in your own name and 50% under the SMSF).

In jan 2018 my wife and i retired and we are now drawing a pension from our smsf. Our fund is well below the $1.6m cap yet i discovered recently that 30% of my portion is still in accumulation phase & 25% for my wife. I learned this when some shares were sold to generate cash and there was some CGT as a result.So i have 2 questions. 1. What determines the proportion that goes into retirement phase vs accumulation phase and can i put it all in retirement phase to avoid CGT in future transactions. 2. What determines my wife and i having slightly different %s in each phase Thnx. Frank

Fvdb asked on Aug 04, 2018

Answer this

You can have 100% of your funds in pension mode, as long as your individual pension funds are less than $1.6m. Keep in mind that the pension fund is set at the start of the year. If you contribute new funds after the pension starts it goes into the accumulation fund. You can't change the pension fund once it has started - you can only close it and start a new one. For example, if you start the FY with $1m and then contribute another $200k a few months later you will have $1m in your pension fund and $200k in your accumulation fund. If you want, you can close the pension fund and start a new one with $1.2m, or leave it till the start of the new FY when that will happen automatically.

When you have these kinds of questions just send them an email. They're very good with answers but it must be by email.

After l become a member of esuperfund can l transfer my share portfolio across?

Neil D asked on Jul 06, 2018

Answer this

Hi Neil, Members of an SMSF can make contributions of assets (e.g. ASX Listed Securities) directly into the SMSF. For more information please visit our website regarding In-Specie Transfers: https://www.esuperfund.com.au/learn/contributions-to-smsf/inspecie