Review rating:

• 1 comment
  • 40 answers
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

False advertising- but works ok

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2016

Short version: The unit is falsely advertised as "no chlorine sanitising system" But, it works reasonably well as the "low salt/chlorine sanitising system"that it actually is.

I've worked in the swimming pool service industry for almost 10 years, my company services three pools with the Enviroswim, and I would like to shed a little bit of light on this product.
Firstly, the unit does produce chlorine, that is the function of it's ORP/Redox cell. It is a low salt, low output chlorinator cell. So while the unit requires less salt than a standard salt cell, and produces smaller amounts of chlorine, it still functions as a "salt water pool"

Secondly, just to address two points of the last reviewer- the acid you are adding is to counteract the cell's chlorine production. While concrete pools do require large amounts of acid during curing, the regular acid dosing is required if the cell produces chlorine (as salt water pool owners will all testify to) And also- the run times for any filtration system should be the same- regardless of the sanitiser type- as it is more to do with water turnover and filtration.

Finally, i would like to add that i do not intend this to be a bad review- the unit works fine as a low salt chlorinator combined with an ionizer- my only concern is that people are being misled by the marketing around this product. It is relatively straight forward to use, and it does it's job. 3/5- for being adequate, even if falsely advertised.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Enviroswim ES3 Official

Dear Mick the Poolguy, Whilst we appreciate all feedback both positive and negative we should set the record straight for readers. Enviroswim is not simply a salt-water chlorinator/ioniser c... read more »

Dear Envioswim; From my point of view, I personally believe your product to be quite misleading to anyone with little-to-no experience with pools and water chemistry. I quote from p16 of your... read more »

Enviroswim ES3 Official

Dear Mick the Poolguy In regards to your last comment Mick, Quote “Yet you do not tell anyone that the aforementioned "öxidiser" is chlorine” Absolutely, the oxidiser is not just chlor... read more »

Hi. I have a salt water pool and I am considering my chemical free pool options. Would I need to drain the pool and refill with fresh water, as from the information provided any salt in the pool will be converted into chlorine, which I want to eliminate. Thanks Violette

Violette asked on Sep 01, 2017

Answer this

Hi Violette, Yes, in order to get the freshwater benefits you will need to dilute the pool. If you can send us your current salt levels or total dissolved solids level (tds) we can better advise. Please email us these directly to info@enviroswim.com or call on 1300888457

Hi Violet you would need to have around 25% of the old water present as part of the process as a small amount of salt is required. You need to test this level once you do the change over to ensure the right balance. They provide test kits etc and it is an easy process. Ours has been a very successful change over with no issues since we converted and the water is balanced perfectly.

Hi Violette,

I basically emptied 2/3rds of my water just before the wet season (in Cairns) and let the rain do the rest.

Personally, the long term benefits (virtually no chloride, cheap to run, less chemicals) makes the original pain worth it.

Cheers
Pete

Hi without giving away trade secrets, can you please specify what levels of silver is in the pool water ( as you have for copper), and other chemical composition, whether oxidation product or whatever. I think it is more than reasonable to know what environment we might be swimming in and potential for toxicity. Reassurance of government funding is not synonymous with "safe" . Impressive bacteria kill rates means that there is toxicity to bugs and therefore potentially humans. We know salt is innocuous in pool water and chlorine,whilst objectionable in many ways, has been around for a long time and therefore its safety record known (for better or worse). Cheers Samson

Samson asked on May 13, 2017

Dear Samson,

We believe we have made it clear what we will and won’t discuss on a public platform. Years of research and development has gone into Enviroswim, competitions can do the same and work it out for theirselves.

What we can confirm is that the silver levels are less than than the World Health Organisation and EPA’s non - enforceable recommendation for silver levels in drinking water of 0.01 mg/L for a lifetime exposure to drinking water. Please refer to this link www.wqa.org/Portals/0/Technical/Technical%20Fact%20Sheets/2015_Silver.pdf

Most bathers do not drink copious amounts of pool water but even if they did drink it over their lifetime, there are no known health concerns or limits for residual levels of silver in drinking water.

Traditional copper/silver ionisation systems are well documented. Enviroswim copper and silver residuals are much lower than a common pool ioniser.

It should also be noted that the government funding was used to have the system tested to NSW Health Departments protocol for the introduction of a new sanitiser (adopted by other states) where it proved to be far more effective than chlorine. In addition, similar tests were conducted in the USA for our US customers by NSF International which resulted in certification as a complete sand alone sanitised system. We don’t know of another Australian system or manufacturer who has conducted any efficacy/toxicity tests to provide these customer assurances. There is no requirement for this type of approval other than electrical safety certification. In addition, Enviroswim’s copper/silver electrodes are registered and approved with the government body responsible for the approval of pool chemicals.

If you require more information please contact our office. We have other doctors who are now happy Enviroswim customers.

Enviroswim

Hi, Q1 Does the ORP generator produce chlorine as an oxidiser, other oxidisers (if so, what?); or do tests produce a *false reading* for chlorine when using the ORP? NB This is a separate issue to some chlorine inevitably being produced by electrolysis if some NaCl (salt) happens to be in the pool water. Q2 Is the Enviroswim system compatible with fiberglass pools, cartridge vs sand filters Q3 Can Magnesium salts be added if desired and will this produce chlorine? Q4 The safe levels of copper have been discussed, what about silver ions? Q5 what is the comparartive cost to a conventional salt water system? Cheers and many thanks Samson

Samson asked on Apr 23, 2017

Hi Samson,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Q1.
A. Unfortunately, we do not reveal or discuss our patented IP, what we can say is that our innovative technology qualified for Federal Government funding to help develop and commercialise the Enviroswim system. In government laboratory testing to NSW Health's Department protocol for the introduction of a new sanitiser, the bacteria kill rate that Enviroswim was able to achieve in thirty seconds took chlorine nearly fifteen minutes to do the same during back to back lab testing.

A good analogy we have used in the past is;

"If a drag car can do a 1/4 mile in 8 seconds you don't have to see under the bonnet to prove that it can do it!"

In regard to chlorine production there is a small amount of chlorine produced due to a low amount of chloride reacting with the electrolysis process of the water, as mentioned on our websites FAQ page.

Q2
A. Yes, Enviroswim is suitable for Fibreglass pools. We supply most of the major fibreglass pool suppliers in Australia. It works with both cartridge and sand filters. We have heard of some customers using Magnesium salts with no reports of problems however these salts were no used during our independent certifications and testing. Magnesium salts will certainly produce chlorine, in fact Magnesium pool systems are 100% chlorine sanitation. The salt level in an Enviroswim pool is so low that whatever salt is used will have minimal effect in the overall efficacy of the sanitiser. A salt chlorinator would not work at the residual salt levels used in the Enviroswim freshwater system.

Q3 The silver levels are well within drinking water standards.

Q4 The comparative costs are discussed on our website. Every pool is different when it comes to operating costs depending on bather load, environmental conditions and surroundings. A quick look at the testimonials page will highlight the overall savings most owners see when changing to Enviroswim.

Thanks Enviroswim

Hi and thanks for the feedback.

I would stress I am not after patented secrets. I am interested as a potential customer. A doctor by background I had to study organic chemistry but spent most of my time playing billiards (organic chemistry is boring ;-) ). Oxidation/ reduction relates to electrons transferred bewteen molecules so presumably this somehow produces an oxidation product that acts as a sanitizer. As a doctor and a potential customer I want to know what I am bathing in, its just that simple. I accept that it kills bugs but that is not the question.

Re silver levels can you specify those levels?

I am guessing the upfront costs are likely more expensive but the longer term savings will compensate. Is that a fair assessment?

Cheers
Samson

Hi I have the same question, for the same reasons. I have a new 60 M³ pool in France and wish to minimise chemicals in the water compatible with rasonable protection. (I am also a Dr. so have some understanding of organic chemistry). Since your system is patented around the world you should be able to answer these basic questions.

See all 8 questions about Enviroswim ES3