Brisbane

Model: Neo Buddy Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Pretty good so far

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

For a portable bbq this one has been quite good, not too heavy to cart around, have used it countless times since purchasing it at bunnings. Easy to clean and heats up quite quickly. The only downfall I would say is when there is a strong wind I find it doesn't stay hot even with the lid down. You have to make a wind shield to continue cooking with high heat. Light to moderate winds are fine, just strong constant winds are the issue. Also I purchased the box with the cover and stand for the bbq. Cover is very good quality and stand is good too, but wheels on the stand are just plastic, easy to destroy. Overall happy with the purchase

Purchased at: Bunnings Warehouse

Comments
Everdure Official

Thanks for the feedback,

If ever we can help with tips please call our customer care team on 1300 739 033 your comments will be viewed by our Marketing department.

Model: Neo Buddy Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Exactly what I wanted

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2017

I've had my Neo Buddy for about 3 years. It's copped a flogging every summer and my hot plate hasn't worn. I love that it has handles on the sides, great for the tongs. Compact and easy to move around. Can throw it in the boot and take it anywhere. It does everything I need it to do and we've even done a couple of roasts in it

Purchased at: Bunnings Warehouse

Comments
Everdure Official

Good morning,

Thanks for the great review on your Neo Buddy , we are glad to hear that you are getting the most out of it, feel free to contact us if we can assist with recipes or any further information.
Kind regards.

Model: Neo Buddy Grill Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Dangerous Flames from Temperature Control Dial

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2017

Didn't even get to use this BBQ which I bought online. Managed to light the BBQ on and after 20 seconds the inside of the gas connection where the temperature dial is stated producing large flames which didn't look right.
I suspect there is a leak and further use could be dangerous. There is no way to tighten the connection unless i dismantle the whole unit's body, which quite frankly I don't think is appropriate for a consumer to do so.

Pretty unhappy. I am going to demand a refund. Looks nice in design but whats the point when it's potentially going to burn your house down.

Do yourself a favour and don't bother.

Purchased at: Catch (Catch Of The Day)

Comments
Everdure Official

Good morning, please contact our customer service team on 1300 739 033 to discuss, Thank you.

Willagee

Model: Neo Buddy Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Nice design, but hot plate is rubbish

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2016

It was OK for few months, became sticky as teflon coating on aluminium was wearing off. Nice design, compact size. Maintained and cleaned properly, never scratched or used harsh cleaning agents...Hot plate ended in the rubbish bin, now looking for cast iron plate of similar size...
Overall verdict: BAD! DON"T BUY this bbq, there are few better options on the market, avoid teflon coated aluminium plate, cast iron is the best. Stainless steel plates looks good until first use, hard to heat...
Manufacturer is aware of this, new models come with cast iron grill/plate!

Buderim

Model: Neo Buddy Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Excellent for what we need.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2016

1. Perect Size for the 2 of us no kids.
2. Very easy to clean
3. Heats quickly and holds it great for a roast for 2-3 people
4. Compact and can take camping. It is sturdy and looks good.

Dont be fooled by bad reviews. No it is not intended for a Family BBQ but for 2-4 people its just fine. I was a bit nervous after reading the bad reviews and had bought it but I love it. If you use it for what it is intended for its brilliant. Portable, Small Deck or Patio/Camping Bbq. Its great!!!

Purchased at: Tentworld

Model: Neo Buddy Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Rubbish

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2016

So slow. Holds no heat. Waste of time and money. It looks neat. Tidy with cover. Cannot see that it could possibly cook a roast. Sorry to say it's Rubbish. Stick to your indoor stove and oven. Bought it at Bunnings must see if we can return, it just clutters our courtyard

Cairns

Model: Neo Buddy Date Purchased: Jun 2012

Love this little unit

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2016

Had this BBQ for 4 years now. Its seen plenty or work and has been great. No problem with hot plate or anything. What I love is that the hotplate fits into my dishwasher and so it has been easy to clean. I would recommend this bbq to any one.

Model: Neo Buddy

Excellent BBQ with Bad Hotplate

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2016

Summary: the hotplate sucks, but the rest is amazing!

Detailed review: After 9 months of ownership....

Cons (prob what you want to know most):
* Hotplate: cast aluminum hotplate with teflon coating with a 1" valley/gap in the middle and no surround/lip. When cooking, you'll find the hotplate slopes towards the middle and everything small edges it's way into the ~1" valley running across the middle of the hotplate, then required to be retrieved. Cubed potatoes are a nightmare. The teflon coating means you can't use ordinary metal tongs and slides, you have to use plastic or silicone which are much more difficult to use as they don't grip food as well. There is no lip/surround on the hotplate so you have to be very careful not to accidentally push/bump the food off the hotplate onto the BBQ surround. This is a frequently problem on what is a compact BBQ. Managing the overflowing food, picking food out of the valley is a problem which is compounded by the silicon/plastic utensils. Additionally, the teflon doesn't last long. Even if you are super careful you will see raw aluminum protruding in a matter of months and at this point the hotplate has arguably reached its end of life.
* Hotplate Replacement: There are no off-the-shelf solutions to overcome this problem. Now, I am trying to have a custom stainless plate made up as cheap as possible. But it's an expensive addition - almost as much as the BBQ itself. After this, it will be an excellent BBQ that will last a long long time and arguably be far superior to all competitors.
* Roasting: isn't much of an option as the lid/gap is so low and there are no accessories (like another much more popular BBQ which I won't name) that has an accessory which can increase the cooking height/gap between the burner and the lid (such that even a rotisserie can be used). This BBQ doesn't come with anything that would allow this to occur. It's a plain flat sheet BBQ and not even a grill but that's circumstantial and won't necessarily effect anyone.

Pros:
* Heat Control: high is high, low is low. Heats up quick or slow depending on what you want. Perfect! I like my steaks on high, my chicken on super low. I can't praise the heat control of this BBQ enough.
* Portability: it's lightweight and highly portable. I have found that when the hotplate is removed you can fit a 2kg gas bottle inside the BBQ. This makes for compact transportation. However, the gas bottle and the hotplate won't fit inside the BBQ at the same time so you may need to store the hotplate elsewhere - but its easier to pack the hotplate than the gas bottle IMHO. If you disagree, just leave the hotplate in the BBQ and pack the gas bottle elsewhere.
* Economical: After extensive use over 9 months the gas bottle still feels heavy.
* Cleaning: the BBQ structure appears to be entirely made of (powder coated) metal. Excluding the delicate teflon coated hotplate (and area under the hotplate) the rest is very easy to keep clean.
Build Quality: I can't fault it. It's light and solid.

Pro/Con (something in the middle):
* The "squared" design of this BBQ makes it easier to transport/pack than its round/egg shaped competitors.
* Replacing the flat plate with a grill might lead to a lot of mess inside the lower carcass. I'm not sure how competitors deal with this problem, but if this were done with this BBQ the fallout would land on the burner or the BBQ carcass itself. There is no real way to easily line the BBQ with aluminum foil and cleaning might be difficult if you wanted to grill with this BBQ
* No burner splatter guard: if you are going to grill, the fallout will land on the burner and will no doubt eventually glog your burner holes. This wont be a problem if you stick to a flat/solid hotplate configuration but is something to consider as this is the principle means of cooking for its competitor....

Tamworth

• 1 question
Private message

Neo buddy full hot plate

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 07, 2015

Well at last I have found the Neo buddy 12 one piece hotplate like my friends bbq! After purchasing the full grill model, disaster in my book as far as cleaning goes, base of bbq fills with fat and never gets to drip tray! However the one piece hotplate is a dream on the buddy 12, I purchased from BCF I think last one and was on special $140 , I nearly fell over, excellent bbq! I know it sounds bad but , I'm giving the grill model away to daughter but with cast half flat plate that was complimentary ! Don't understand everdure changing to grill plates at all, with the mess in the base of a portable BBQ, can't cook an egg hmmmm very strange! Top marks for the original Neo buddy 12

Purchased at: BCF

Geelong

• 2 answers
Private message

Great design but not the best build.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2015

I bought this BBQ from a local store. On assembling the BBQ the plates didn't fit so contacted the store which was going to send me new plates. 4 weeks heard nothing so contacted Everdure direct and they had no order, back I return to store and got a new BBQ. When unpacking the BBQ the handle on the front is broken in half, so back on the phone contacted Everdure which sent out a new handle. Received handle in the mail which is also broken in two.

I would suggest getting some thing with better build quality and avoid this brand.

Sydney

This BBQ rocks

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 11, 2014

Works the same if not better than the Weberq. My buddy cooks like a dream. Best advice in cooking on it. Do not pull the meat straight out of the fridge and try to cook it. Leave it out for 15-20 minutes. Turn the buddy on and let it heat to about 350. Put meat on and enjoy. Really am impressed with this. It has changed how we eat dinner/ breakfast with no having to clean our kitchen afterwords. House smells great and cleaning the buddy is a dream. Also the grill is awesome, knowing that my meat won't get gas burn makes me feel alot safer about feeding the kids. Hot plate is sooooooo easy to clean with bbq wipes and some warm soapy water. 5 star for me and the family all the way.

Brisbane

Model: Neo Buddy Grill

Great BBQ

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2014

OK, Before I purchased the Neo Buddy, I researched both the Neo Buddy and the Weber Baby Q and this is what I found. Neo Budy is well made (tick). Neo Buddy is Cheaper (tick), Neo Buddy is a little bigger than the Baby Q (tick). Neo Buddy has a good temperature gauge standard, Baby Q it's an accessory (tick). Neo Buddy has MUCH cheaper accessories such as cast iron grill & flat plate, trolly and cover (tick) and after cooking with a Weber Q at the in-laws, the Neo Buddy performs every bit a good as the Weber (tick). I originally saw Neo Buddy at Harvey Normans where they actually sell the Neo Buddy Grill with the cast iron grill plates x 2 and a cast iron flat plate x 1. I thought I was being clever and sourced it cheaper from Bunnings! When I got it home I found I had purchased the Neo Buddy (not grill) that has an aluminium non-stick plate. Neither stores made the distinction between Neo Buddy Gill and Neo Buddy. I used the BBQ and then realised I would prefer the cast iron plates. After contacting Everdure Customer Support, they informed me that there are accessories to change the Neo Buddy into the Neo Buddy Grill. Customer Support was amazing and they were able to help me out with the simple conversion. I have mine on a top floor balcony in units and have had no problems with wind blowing out the flame (as one person commented in these reviews). I am really pleased with my Neo Buddy Grill and the wonderful customer support I received for my upgrade. I bought the Neo Buddy trolly stand and a the 2 burner hooded barbeque cover from Bunnings ($18) fits nicely!
Enjoy

MELBOURNE

• 8 helpful votes

Not enough heat

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2013

I find that the cooking time is way too slow with this. The griddle is aluminium so it does not retain heat, or heat up to a good bbq temperature. I find the food broils. I bought it for a courtyard bbq. The compact size is good, and the cleaning is simple, but after using it 3 times I threw it out. It may be good for nomads.

+ Compact size

- Not enough heat

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Buderim

• 1 comment

Unreliable and dangerous

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2013

Since new our Neo Buddy's - yes we have tried two, have regularly failed to stay alight in anything but perfectly calm conditions. The slightest air movement will extinuish the burner and as there is no automatic gas cut-off, it then becomes a bomb in the making if not ventilated before being relit. We had problems from the start and BCF initially replace the regulator. This made no difference and Everdure eventually sent BCF a replacement burner and regulator. BCF, quite rightly would not assemble the parts as this should only be done by a gas fitter. Full marks to BCF who gave us a completely new Neo Buddy. It unfortunately does exactly the same thing. Great when it's working but you have to check every minute or so that it hasn't gone out.
Alan

+ Cooks beautifully when it stays lit

- Goes out and no automatic gas shut off.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Alan here again. We have since built in the bottom section of the barbecue and with the protection from any breeze it is performing well.

Adelaide

• 1 comment
  • 5 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Everdure NEO Buddy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2012

I bought my Buddy on special from Rays Outdoors. However, intially I found the temperature would not go over 220 degrees C, so contacted Everdure and they sent me a replacement regulator. Same problem, so I tried to return it to Rays Outdoors. Initially they baulked at either a replacement or refund, but when their legal obligations were pointed out to them, they agreed to replace it.
Their customer relations left a lot to be desired in my view but eventually they did come around.
The replacement works fine and the BBQ is now giving me great roasts. Although it takes longer than I would expect, overall it does an excellent job. It lights first time every time, and is extremely easy to clean. Overall a great BBQ and good value for the money. Recommended.

+ Lights first time. Cooks evenly and does great roasts.

- Cooks a little slowly, but that much of an issue

Purchased at: Ray's Outdoors

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

glad we saw this, ours won't go above 180, so roasts have not been good, and it takes forever to reach this temp

• 1 review
  • 3 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Perfect for caravanning

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2012

We love our buddy in the caravan. Just a perfect size.Wondering if anyone knows where we can buy the aluminium oil catchers? We cooked a perfect roast....Stir fried veges.....we find we can cook almost a whole meal in our neo buddy. We definately would recommend it for all caravanners and campers.

+ Reliable and inexpensive and costs next to nothing to run.

- Cant find where to buy the aluminium oil spill catchers

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I just use ordinary aluminium foil for the oil catcher.

saw some today at bbq's galore

Woolworths in there BBQ/Picnic area just the round foil trays

• 3 comments
  • 13 answers
  • 93 helpful votes

Just Perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2012

Gave away our old 4 burner Jumbuck BBQ as we never liked using it - oversized, cluttered the deck and food was always burnt/under cooked. But we wanted something for the Christmas break and summer - did our research and decided a Weber was what we wanted - more into roasting, small easy to clean. But the price and the accessory lock in put us off.

So got the Everdure Neo based on positive reviews and it's been brilliant! Trivial to assemble, fits neatly on a small table on our deck (didn't get the trolley). It's very resistant to winds, no problem with the flame being blown out and the food has been perfect - awesome for slow cocked roasts, a quick sausage/steak sizzle, prawns, eggs the lot. Everything cooks evenly and smells beautiful. Just last weekend we did a 1 kilo roast over 3 hours with veges and chips added at the end - smelled and tasted gorgeous, so tender.

The clean up is very easy, far less mess than cooking the same in the kitchen and you don't heat up the house either.

+ Compact, reliable, easy, cheap, energy efficient, good cooking

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

how do you cook eggs? ours just dissapear into the drip tray

We use egg rings. They stop the eggs sliding down :)

• 1 review
  • 9 helpful votes

Love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2012

It is compact and looks good. The size is perfect for my courtyard and my cooking needs. It is much more efficient energy wise than my old 3 burner with hotplate mammoth (you know the ones frequently seen on hard rubbish). Cleaning is simple and effective. I do want to find out if the grill is dishwasher safe, because I can be rather lazy.

+ It's compact size, energy efficiency and neat look.The price was comparatively reasonable too. It is extremely easy to clean properly too.

- As I said, I can be rather lazy. I don't remove the drip tray after each use. There was a huge storm and it made grease spill over the gas bottle ... that's my fault though.It may not be suitable for a large family or large party you cannot run only alf of the hotplate for extra small cooking jobs, but it uses so little gas anyhow, that's not an issue.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 33 helpful votes

Cooks like a dream.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2012

Portable, easy to clean, healthy sloped fat drainage plates.
Even the presentation of the cooked food is something to be proud of. Just talk to any owner of this product and I’m sure they will tell you just how perfectly designed this product is. I am so glad I invested in it, it s well ahead of it’s time – (I got it half the price of the online stores at Bunning’s Warehouse)

+ Functional, portable/easy to store, removable grill/plate for quick cleaning, smooth rounded interior for wiping down, easy to ignite, great handles for transport, beautiful smooth body and hood, thermostat on lid, cooked just as amazingly with the hood down in a Tasmanian downpour, efficient on gas, doesn’t seem to splatter, removable fat tray underneath using disposable pie dishes, onions/eggs don’t burn and slide off with ease, not too heavy but still very stable on any surface, cook’s the meat consistently – as noted by my entire family and friends on every BBQ occasion. Sausages have never tasted better, and kebabs cook non-stick fast with ease.

- We cook around 10 sausages and 10 chicken kebabs on the buddy neo at one time (x2) (we are only a couple + 8ish friends) You could fit more on- but if your thinking of cooking for large groups of people you may need a larger BBQ. I can’t think of a single other con.

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 34 helpful votes

The best BBQ ever!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2012

This is by far the best BBQ I have ever owned. Easy to assemble, easy to use, and by far the easiest to clean. This is a sterling product, and comes with only the highest recommendation. Did I mention that it looks good as well?

+ Looks good, is easy to assemble, easy to use and very, very easy to clean. Excellent value for money!

32 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I have just purchased a 'Buddy' and it sure looks the part. Easy to assemble (trolley), plus the 'Buddy' itself require no assembly-straight out of the box and ready to roll. The single piece hotpl... read more »