Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2017

An exercise in getting what you pay for.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2017

Overall an excellent experience. From meeting the brilliant Terry McWilliams, asking him to defy the laws of physics with only a vague idea, he hits it out of the park with his FIRST cad drawing. 2 houses later and I’m very happy. He was honest with the quote and his knowledge of councils and soils meant accurate footing quotes. As he said, Format are not the cheapest but there are no surprises later and he was true to his word. Variations were modest and some also in my favour. Integrity is obviously important to their brand.

Marina was excellent with selections and her knowledge of combining colours and textures meant we made good decisions with the fascia. Format’s selections partners are terrific, especially Carrera kitchens.

Bill needs a sample of his DNA extracted to ensure he is cloned for future generations. His knowledge on site prep and absolute transparency in dealings was refreshing. God he knows his crap but doesn't big note despite having every right to do so. My site has so much rock and he’d call to let me know me know they needed to manual digging and what not and approximate variations which were spot on.

Both Kieran and Frank were cool as site supervisors - Kieran had a LOT on before Frank joined so communication wasn't always timely but when it came to the non-negotiables, always on point.

Format use excellent tradespeople and the quality and timeliness of work is really something. In fact the only frustrations I had was having to deal with builders and tradespeople outside of Format’s remit. Word to the wise - yes you can save some coin by arranging some things yourself such as paths and driveways but in retrospect I would have paid a premium for getting it done without the headaches.

And the machine doesn't work without Lisa, Fofi, Joanne and the now-departed Amanda, keeping the gears moving. Format is an ensemble team and each person is important. And finally Phil who handled both handovers nice and smoothly.

It would be a lie to say everything was perfect - maintenance wasn't timely and there is a defect that can't be undone but it's not enough of a deal-breaker to undo the good things. And given both builds happened during a personal tragedy, not having to deal with problems was a godsend. Both houses were completed at 6 and 7 months respectively which is pretty astonishing. And that nonsense you hear about steel is just that - nonsense. No strange noises or creaks. If I ever build again it's with Format, no question.

ADELAIDE

• 1 question

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2016

When it sounds too good to be true

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2017

Our experience in having Format Homes build two on our block has been the opposite of the glowing reports we read in these pages.
Handover on 16.12.16 was 8 1/2 months after the first slab was poured. Despite repeated assurances in the lead up to handover, neither house was ready for occupation as promised. Work continued into the following week - just before Christmas 2016 and now in September 2017, we still have unfinished "repair" work remaining.
Post handover we went overseas and left the houses in the hands of a Rental agent.
Subsequently issues with the build quality were reported and in the end we paid for an Independent Building Inspection Report to be done on each house. The extent and nature of reported defects led to another Inspection - this time by The Master Builders Association of SA - and local Council (due to stormwater drainage non compliance issues) and attended by Format Homes.
That inspection by MBASA on 7.6.17 validated areas to be redressed by Format and a comprehensive list was provided on two spreadsheets.
This included work that was either just not done or not done to the approved plans or work that was considered not up to acceptable industry standards.

Repair work has included concrete paving to be dug up and replaced, major rework to their stormwater installation and much internal gyprock and painting finishes to be redone.

And now - another 3 months have passed and that list of corrective action has not been completed. We are now 8 1/2 months since handover and we are still waiting for Format to finish the houses to the standard they should have been at handover.
I doubt we will ever build a new house again - but if we do -
We would not trust this lot to build a cubby house…

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

Fullarton Houses

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2017

The workmanship was very good. This confirmed by another builder.
I had no independent overseer and experienced few problems. However any alteration to plans before finalisation were overlooked and needed repeated reminders. Even then some matters like location of water tanks; plumbing loops; external power points; gas meters etc had to be rectified AFTER installation in wrong places. A cost to Format and delays frustration for me.
I would use FORMAT again but be more demanding about plan updates being recorded and followed on site.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2017

Well done Format !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

I choice Format to build my new houses, one has been hand over at last month and the other one is still under construction. I have to say Format did a really good job and I love my new house. I also need to thank my sales consultant Steven Riley. He really understands what we need and what we should pay attention on during the whole construction. He is knowledgeable sales consultant because we've got Asian background, he even know some "Feng Shui" theories that help us to design our new house. Well done Steve. If you guys need a quality builder, highly recommend Steve and Format to you guys.

Michael & Pam

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2013

Beautiful Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

Hi everyone,

First of all, A BIG THANK YOU for the wonderful home you have built for Doug and myself. Even today we are still pinching ourselves having such a beautiful home.

The people who we have had dealings with through Format Homes are:

John Cooper (great sales job mate!!)
Bill Murphy (fantastic information we didn't know about)
All the girls in the office (who kept me sane)
Levi (for his excellent supervision of our site - and must be sick to death of us!!)
All the consultants from the various outlets where we chose our products.

If I have missed anyone out it's only because we were attended by so many FANTASTIC people.

I have attached the Customer Satisfaction Form and there are only a few minor things that need to be attended to.

Oh, I guess a big thank you to Frank Formado (hopefully I have spelt his name correctly) for the choosing of his staff.

Doug and Desiree James

Lightsview, SA

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Just like Christmas

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2017

We have just moved in to our new Format Home. A lot of our friends warned us about building, we heard all sorts of horror stories. Our experience was totally the opposite, we have one tiny outstanding job to be done, everything was just about perfect the day we got the keys. The quality of the work done, the quality of the fittings & fixtures is of a very high standard. We were promised a six month build time & it took five & a half months-even with very wet winter we had this year. We are both very pleased with our new home, we love coming home to our "new baby".
Money well spent, excellent value, excellent tradespeople, excellent office staff.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Owning a brand new house could have not been easier than this!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2016

When I came to Australia, I could never imagine that after a couple of years of arrival I would be living in my new house. To own a house had become a dream and I could have not thought that one day soon I would ever own it. Format Homes made this dream come true in less than one year; far way from what I expected. That was not the only bonus of choosing Format Homes! Now that I am reflecting on the time I spent living at my unit while I was working and studying, I can not remember even one day that I had an issue with the house construction. I wonder how these guys built the house in a very quiet mode and left me at peace so I did not need to worry about anything. Every aspect of the house construction was taken care of; I was just enjoying to visit my house while it was being built and took some photos for my personal house project album; which, I tell you, is a huge fun! No one in my family and friend had done that before; all were admiring it. I take the chance to thank Matt who introduced me to Format Homes on the first day when I was seeking for a house builder. Terry, I am so thankful to you. You always gave me hope and energy and your warming words were always comforting me in the hardest time; I can not thank you enough; you are now my life friend. I am so thankful to Kieran my house project manager who was so patient when I was asking lots of questions and he was giving me his best professional responses. I express my thanks and appreciation to all Format Homes personnel, Philip, Rick, Frank, Marco, Joanne, Lisa, and many others who I may forget to name. You constantly supported me, advised me on your best, had very warm and welcoming attitude and customer service. Thank you all for everything you have done for me! Today, I am sitting in my house, drinking my afternoon tea and enjoying my house ownership!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2016

Excellent service and quality build

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2016

I've dealt with a lot of different Builders around Adelaide both personally and professionally. The level of customer service and professionalism shown by Format Homes is unmatched. Not everything went right (as it rarely does when you build), but they were there to help every step of the way. The quality of the finished product was exceptional and exceeded even our lofty expectations. I cannot thank the whole team at Format Homes enough, and refer all my family, friends, and customers to them.

Meadows, South Australia

• 2 helpful votes

Worth It!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2016

We had dreamed of building our home with Format after looking through their display homes some years ago, but initially thought they were outside of our price range. Having almost signed with another builder, we re-visited them to just talk with a sales person and see what the cost differences were. Turned out they were wholly within our price range as their standard selections were of such a high quality that they would have been considered "upgrades" with other cookie-cutter builders.

We had an amazing salesman, Terry McWilliams, who helped design our home with us and took into account all of our needs. We were well looked after all throughout the selections process to the finalising of everything and into the build itself. We always received our invoices and receipts promptly.

Now, nearly three months after moving into our home, we couldn't be happier. The quality of the craftsmanship can be felt and seen throughout - this is what initially drew us to Format when we visited their display homes. Our home looks and feels every bit as amazing as their displays did. We have not even had a single complaint or issue to report since moving in. Levi Nash was our site supervisor and was always approachable, professional, friendly and happy to answer all our (sometimes silly) questions. He was so incredibly thorough during our walkthrough and pre-handover inspection - he noticed small flaws that we wouldn't have even thought to look for and had them fixed straight away.

The only tiny things I would mention that Format could have done differently was to perhaps keep us informed as to where we were at and what was happening at each stage of the build. We only ever received an invoice when one stage was completed - and we would drive out to the site weekly to see what was different. Not having built before, it would have been nice to have had some updates. Additionally, it wasn't always clear who to contact about what issues (financial, land, council, etc.) so perhaps a list of contacts with clarification on who to speak to about what would have been helpful at the start.

Otherwise, can't fault Format for anything at all. Great quality, build stuck to schedule and price, competent and professional staff - I have been recommending Format to all of my friends and would encourage anyone looking to build with someone who actually cares about quality over quantity to visit one of Format's display villages and speak to someone. So happy we made the decision to speak to them again - our dream really did come true! Thank you Format for our amazing home!

Love our new Format home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2016

From our first meeting with the sales consultant through until handover we couldn't have wished for a better journey. The staff at Format were so professional and friendly and guided us through the whole building process , from designing a plan to suit an awkward shaped block and on through the whole selection process. The build started on time and remained on schedule through to completion. The quality of all the trades was exceptional as was the end result. Any problems with council or development requirements was always quickly taken care of by Format. Most of the trades had worked for Format for long periods and spoke in glowing terms of the company. We love our new home and are very happy we chose to build with Format, if integrity, honesty and quality workmanship are what your looking for then this is the company that I would highly recommend .

• 1 answer

Verified Customer

Perfect dream home can not thank Format enough and would highly recommend them!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2016

Professional service and easy negotiations from design to selections to the finished home. Can't rate Format Homes highly enough. The build quality and workmanship were extremely high. Their trades were excellent and all loved working for Format Homes. This commitment of excellence from their staff is why this has been an excellent stress free experience. We were made to feel a valued customer throughout the entire process.

Verified Customer

Building our home while we were overseas.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2016

Both the workmanship and build quality of our home were extremely high. Throughout the whole building process Format kept us informed and enabled us to have contact with the site manager whenever we felt the need. He was very helpful and despite us being in the uk throughout the whole build we felt very much involved in the process.
We had one trip over to Adelaide prior to the build to discuss details and choose fixtures, fittings and colour schemes. Again Format were very helpful.
After completion the customer service and support continued throughout the snagging of our home.
I have no hesitation in recommending Format homes to anyone.

Great People Great Homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2015

After choosing Format Homes to build my new property, i now believe its one of the best decisions i have ever made. The team at Format are quite possibly the most professional, ethical, honest organization i have ever dealt with. There's always a bit of apprehension when choosing a builder but it became apparent quickly and very early on that i made the right one. I was able to sit back, relax and enjoy the process knowing that my project was in extremely capable hands. This peace of mind is "Priceless".

The people at Format know that this will probably be the biggest financial outlay you will ever make and they treat your project like its their own and have your wishes and interests first and foremost.

The quality of workmanship was nothing short of outstanding, people visit and comment on what a beautiful home i have, one person even asked if i won lotto, ha.

You've seen the advertisement on TV for Superloc "Do it once Do it right". Build with Format Homes you "Do it once you Do it right"

Thanks to all the team at Format and especially Bill Murphy who helped me deal with an unscrupulous demolition company who almost scuttled my project, without his help and advice it may never have gone ahead.

Lived up to ALL promises

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2015

Professional service and easy negotiations from design to selections to the finished home. Can't rate Format Homes highly enough. Their professionalism is reflected in their homes of high standards. You can trust this builder as they deliver on all promises. Amanda and Levi made our journey into this investment home easy and enjoyable and now we hope to reap the rewards of this investment.

Our Dream Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2015

From the first initial phone call the process of demolishing and building our dream home was a breeze. All at Format Homes were willing to help any anyway they could from their Receptionist to Building Supervisor. The process of selections was made easy too, that can be daunting!! The construction timing was as promised and practical completion and handover was seamless. We did have some issues with council and engineers but Format Homes kept things well on track during this. We have used Format Homes in the past for some development properties also, and the workmanship was second to none so we did not hesitate to use them for our Dream Home. All up we can say that Format Homes delivered above and beyond.

Adelaide

• 2 helpful votes

It is a good feeling

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2015

I knocked down and built 2 homes, this was my first time I am not a developer so I needed someone to guide me through, well I found them from A to Z there service and staff where there all the way but most important is the finished product, in one word QUALITY I know this as I had 3 agents in to value they all said high standard of build and very well detailed . I never felt like I was just another contract to build, they treated me as a person and they never lost that respect for me as a client. I would recommend Format Homes
Thank you to all the team at Format Homes.

Verified Customer

Hassle-Free builder,Kept their words as promised - A First home happy customer.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2015

After being to many builders displays,bloggers before start up,happened to enter format homes displays at lightsview and met [Name removed]. From then building journey was so smooth until now.

Fomat Thumps ups
1.Excellent sales man service and so his informative & practical words.
2.Immediate response for custom design changes with reasonable time frame to fix any issues.
3.Above all the quality of standard inclusions covered up all my needs within my budget.
4.After build up service is really good which i am experiencing.

To me,i got my new first house as what i was told by[Name removed].
Had recommended my brother to built with Format and has started now.Also highly recommend any one.
Thanks Format

Regards
Raj

Verified Customer

I Love my home - it's me!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2014

2 years since I moved in and I just love coming home. The whole exercise was a dream come true. Format totally
understood what I wanted and it was important to them. Their attention to detail matched mine and so my own personal needs have been met, and within my limited budget. My husband & I built our first home with them, so who else would I go to after he passed away, and now that I have retired and needed to downsize again who else would I trust to do this. I doubt I will need to build another home, but if you do I would only suggest Format to meet your individual needs & desires and give you a terrific hassle-free building experience.

woodcroft

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

a perfect home to live in

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2014

We have just moved in our new house built by format homes. The whole experience was a joy. From the staff at the office to the supervisor and all the trades. They were all ways helpful and courteous. Nothing was to much trouble. The supervisor was always easy to reach.the product choice was above average. The house turned out absolutely stunning and all our friends and family comment on the great work men ship. We highly recommend them to anyone who wants to build a new home. Thank you format homes

+ the house was built quickly all tradesman were polite and friendly

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

Fantastic - would recommend Format Homes to anyone wishing to build a new home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 25, 2014

We were looking at renovating and extending an existing house. During this process, we went to several display villages to get some ideas and to speak to project builders on what they offer in terms of extensions and renovations. We went to the Lightsview Format Home display and met the sales consultant. He presented the option of knocking down and rebuilding, and it was from this point that we decided to build new rather than renovate. This was one of the best decisions we have ever made. We had previously built and the Format experience was so much better than from the previous builder. However, that experience meant that we knew what to expect, and also we had a very good idea of what we wanted. This probably held us in good stead when dealing with the builder.

Unlike other new home sales consultants, he went out of his way to make us comfortable during the process. This included meeting us at times that was convenient to us, at Format Homes different display houses. He took the time to walk us through their houses showing the different level of inclusions and exclusions and the relevant design features. He was very accommodating when we wished to make changes to proposed plans, often after already having made changes. His advice regarding whether our modifications would work in the space was invaluable. Further, throughout all consultations, in no way did we ever feel pressured to sign a contract, nor did we feel like just another sale (unlike the treatment we received from one major national builder and another South Australian company).

We worked closely with the sales consultant in determining our preferred layout that we were happy with, the contract signing process was easy and the overall contract place included very realistic (& sometime over estimates) for the extra inclusions (eg, air conditioning). Further, [name removed] estimate of the footings cost was spot on (this is one area where sales consultants can often get it wrong). From this point on, we were directed to liaise with a person in their office. She became our single point of contact when dealing with Format Homes.

She provided excellent service in all areas of the demolition and build, this included in ensuring that all relevant council permits were applied for, recommendations for other services (such as fencing contractors) and in answering our general inquiries that we had along the way. Further, all staff at Format Homes did not need to look up a file when contacted, they had a good knowledge of who we were, what we were building and what stage it was up to. Queries were also answered quickly (typically the same or next day). Format Homes made us feel as though they were working for us, rather than as just another contract. Our experience with a previous builder was the complete opposite of Format Homes and I would not recommended them to friends or family.

The entire building process from demolition to hand-over was in the order of 6 months, but the time from footings pour to hand-over was only 5 months, several months ahead of the scheduled contract. The site supervisor(s) were constantly over-seeing the work, and often highlighted issues of quality that were promptly rectified (issues that we might not have ever noticed). Further, our site supervisor was very responsive when we identified errors or mistakes and his message to us was that that it's our home and we know it better than them. If there was anything incorrect, they were very happy to discuss and rectify. Contract variations were reasonable, and we were communicated with whenever variations were required to the contract, however, the original contract developed by Terry resulted in very few variations that weren't due to our own selections.

Format Home inclusions are of the highest quality, and in some instances our own choices at Beaumont Tiles, Direct Interiors and Carrera Kitchens were often cheaper than the Format inclusions, resulting in a credit (which we spent elsewhere). The only exception to this was the level of electrical inclusions (not unique to Format Homes), where the standard inclusions were not no where near the mark for a modern connected home. The kitchen allowance which in our case included a line item for a very large stone island was greater than the actual cost which allowed us to upgrade to gloss cupboards and include cabinetry for the bedroom and walk-in robes with minimal extra cost.

Overall, I would highly recommend Format Homes to anyone looking to build in South Australia, whether modifying one of their own designs or bringing your own. They will assist you through the entire process, including navigating council and all other permits. They treat you with respect and are more than happy to assist you with any query, no matter how trivial. They make the entire building process easy and enjoyable, and allows you to focus on the areas that you need to (such as selections and design).

Format Homes were brilliant, and delivered a high quality home on time.

+ Everything, reliable, responsive, treats customers with respect, high quality and standards in building.

1 of 3 pages