Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2017

Our Dream Home Ian & Wendy on 2nd Dec 2018

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

We decided that our old house was way too small for our growing family and wanted to stay in the area so we chose to knock down and rebuild. Our journey began on looking for a builder that would listen to what we wanted, after months of looking at Display Homes at how most companies finished of there homes we had a couple of builders in mind. We went to Lightsview Display Village and looked around in stepping into a Format Display home we were pleasantly greeted by the Consultant after having a look at the homes on display we asked a few questions regarding fittings and finishes to the home, Terry the Consultant was so helpful and friendly and explained to us what was standard and what was extras in the Display Home. After discussing this with him we came home and chatted about what we saw we were very impressed with Format Homes we decided the next weekend to go back and see Terry as we had our own home design that we wanted to build sitting down with Terry and disgusting our needs he took a drawing of our plans back to the office. Once complete ew meet Terry at Format Head Office to view our plans it was everything we wanted.

We decided that Format were our choice of builder we loved that they built with Supalock and their standard fittings were well above any other builders standard fittings. Format Homes listens to what you want not like other builders that we approached they would not listen to what we really wanted.

So our journey for our Dream Home began building commenced and before we new it our New Home was being built. Constuction was well under way and our New Home was starting to take shape and looked fantastic we were very excited and couldn't wait for it to be finished. The site supervisor Levi was very helpful and friendly when we asked questions about our build as this was the first time we had built so we were always asking questions.

All the staff that we dealt with at Format were absolutely wonderful and so helpful if you rang the office the girls there were so friendly and would be able to answer your question. Once our home was complete we were so excited on getting our keys walking into our Dream Home and seeing it we were so impressed with the way it looked and the quality of design. All appliances are top quality SMEG, Carrera Kitchens are outstanding everything in the house is outstanding.

We say Thank you to FORMAT for building our truly beautiful Dream Home 12 months has passed since we moved in and it still looks as good as it did the day we got keys. We get so many comments on our home and everyone cannot believe that the standard fittings that we have in our home are what Format offers.

If you are looking at building really consider FORMAT HOMES as your builder I can tell you that you wont be disappointed we highly recommend them as your next builder.

12Months on we can still contact Format and ask the questions or if there is a problem they will send out their maintance man to fix it.

We cannot Thank Frank and his amazing staff at FORMAT enough in building our Beautiful Dream Home, we absolutely love it....

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2017

"We Love Our New Home!!"

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

We love the area we live in and had always intended one day to demolish our existing home, subdivide and build a new home for ourselves & an investment property.
Following a thorough research & meeting with various builders, we were most impressed with Format Homes.
With their assistance, we were able to design our two new homes - they listened to our ideas, were always accommodating and provided helpful advice. We were guided by their experience which was greatly appreciated especially as we were first time builders and have absolutely no regrets with the choices we made.
We loved that many of their "Standard" selections were defined as "Upgrades" with other builders.
They must be highly commended for their attention to detail and the quality of their products.
During the construction period we did encounter some issues ( not uncommon from what we have heard with any build ), however once identifed were promptly dealt with and rectified in a timely manner.
All of the Format staff were an absolute pleasure to work with from beginning to end and it is very evident they all enjoy working for Format Homes.
We cannot thank Frank and his wonderful Team enough for helping turn our dream into a reality.
"We Love Our New Home!!"

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2018

Integrity & Quality Best Describes FORMAT

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 30, 2018

The workmanship and build was outstanding overall, we couldn't be happier with the way FORMAT managed the whole project from start to finish. Every member of the FORMAT team kept us well informed along the journey and whenever there were any problems encountered, they were acted on swiftly and thoroughly. We were particularly impressed with the way everything was well explained and the manner in which FORMAT staff took the time to explore the possibilities, implications, costs, alternatives, safeguards, etc, etc. The attention to detail was extraordinary and very reassuring throughout the whole build. The quality of the overall build was both impressive and very satisfying.

From the attention to detail with all the fittings (doors, windows, bathrooms, cupboards, etc) to the final preparation before the handover. (Painting, cleaning, installation of appliances, etc) I absolutely loved the fact that everything was checked and sealed to a high quality prior to us getting the keys. FORMAT employ fantastic tradies, not only are they highly skilled and thorough, they were very accommodating whenever I had occasion to visit the site. You know when you're on to a good builder when the tradies talk about the integrity of the company themselves. Very reassuring!

We were also very impressed with our building supervisor who always kept us well informed and involved. It was obvious that he had the respect of the tradies and that he maintained very high standards and expectations of their work. Whenever there were problems and in any build process these are inevitable, they were well handled by the supervisor, with immediate follow up always to a high level of satisfaction.

All the staff at FORMAT were courteous, thorough and totally professional. We were particularly impressed by the personal interest and support provided to us by Frank Formato, owner of FORMAT homes. His involvement made us feel very reassured and satisfied that the build was on target to be one of high quality.

Thank you to all the staff and tradies connected to FORMAT. You have been responsible for making our dream house become a reality. Now we're living in it we notice the attention to detail in the build every single day and that puts a smile on our faces. Couldn't recommend FORMAT any more highly! Well Done, a builder that deserves to be described as one with the highest integrity and build quality.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2017

Very happy with build experience and quality finish

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2018

We have just completed the 3-month maintenance period for our new Format Homes home and couldn’t be happier. The build was on time, on budget (not PC cost increases or surprises), and is built to a standard that leaves similarly priced builders in the shade.

We are a retired couple in our late 60s and we thrilled with the service provided by our sales/design consultant. He guided us through an unfamiliar process, and provided option after option until we were satisfied with the design that best made use of available space.

We are reminded of Format Homes’ best-value point of difference in each room. The Carrera Kitchen has a great layout and fitted with SMEG appliances, internal wall insulation, Littlehampton bricks, high doorways, decorative cornice and skirt – all as standard inclusions. The little things continue to impress – temp controlled gas hot water, bathroom fittings, semi-frameless shower, roof layout structure that supports future solar installation on the northern roof – and we are very happy with our choice of builder.

My daughter has recently signed with Format Homes for her build after witnessing the trouble-free build we had.
Our last home was damaged by whiteants, and after seeing the damage, a steel frame home made sense and provides some comfort. And it's always pleasing to get compliments from neighbours regarding the finish of our home or tradespeople impressed with the layout!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2017

Excellent House- Great experience building with Format Homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2018

Format Homes made the process of building a new house very clear and straightforward.

From the beginning, Format Homes were very willing to accommodate our ideas for a new house and draw a personalised house plan that suited our plot and needs for a family home. Their team offered very helpful advice and guided us through the entire building process which took a lot of the stress out of building a new house.

We were kept well informed during the construction phase of the house and remain impressed to this day with the communication and great customer service they provided during construction and after we had received the house.

We were very pleased with the home they delivered which was both on time and had a high attention to detail. The exterior of the house was durable and well-finished. On the interior, we were pleasantly surprised with the quality of both the bathrooms and kitchen which far exceeded our expectations.

Overall, we were extremely pleased with our experience with Format Homes and would highly recommend them for their expertise and guidance to anyone looking to build a new home.

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2017

An exercise in getting what you pay for.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2017

Overall an excellent experience. From meeting the brilliant Terry McWilliams, asking him to defy the laws of physics with only a vague idea, he hits it out of the park with his FIRST cad drawing. 2 houses later and I’m very happy. He was honest with the quote and his knowledge of councils and soils meant accurate footing quotes. As he said, Format are not the cheapest but there are no surprises later and he was true to his word. Variations were modest and some also in my favour. Integrity is obviously important to their brand.

Marina was excellent with selections and her knowledge of combining colours and textures meant we made good decisions with the fascia. Format’s selections partners are terrific, especially Carrera kitchens.

Bill needs a sample of his DNA extracted to ensure he is cloned for future generations. His knowledge on site prep and absolute transparency in dealings was refreshing. God he knows his crap but doesn't big note despite having every right to do so. My site has so much rock and he’d call to let me know me know they needed to manual digging and what not and approximate variations which were spot on.

Both Kieran and Frank were cool as site supervisors - Kieran had a LOT on before Frank joined so communication wasn't always timely but when it came to the non-negotiables, always on point.

Format use excellent tradespeople and the quality and timeliness of work is really something. In fact the only frustrations I had was having to deal with builders and tradespeople outside of Format’s remit. Word to the wise - yes you can save some coin by arranging some things yourself such as paths and driveways but in retrospect I would have paid a premium for getting it done without the headaches.

And the machine doesn't work without Lisa, Fofi, Joanne and the now-departed Amanda, keeping the gears moving. Format is an ensemble team and each person is important. And finally Phil who handled both handovers nice and smoothly.

It would be a lie to say everything was perfect - maintenance wasn't timely (but well executed) and there is a defect that can't be undone but it's not enough of a deal-breaker to undo the good things. You do hear pops and little noises with steel which I expect is settling and changes of weather. It no biggie. And given both builds happened during a personal tragedy, not having to deal with problems was a godsend. Both houses were completed at 6 and 7 months respectively which is pretty astonishing. If I ever build again it's with Format, no question.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

ADELAIDE

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 7 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2016

When it sounds too good to be true

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2017

Our experience in having Format Homes build two on our block has been the opposite of the glowing reports we read in these pages.
Handover on 16.12.16 was 8 1/2 months after the first slab was poured. Despite repeated assurances in the lead up to handover, neither house was ready for occupation as promised. Work continued into the following week - just before Christmas 2016 and now in September 2017, we still have unfinished "repair" work remaining.
Post handover we went overseas and left the houses in the hands of a Rental agent.
Subsequently issues with the build quality were reported and in the end we paid for an Independent Building Inspection Report to be done on each house. The extent and nature of reported defects led to another Inspection - this time by The Master Builders Association of SA - and local Council (due to stormwater drainage non compliance issues) and attended by Format Homes.
That inspection by MBASA on 7.6.17 validated areas to be redressed by Format and a comprehensive list was provided on two spreadsheets.
This included work that was either just not done or not done to the approved plans or work that was considered not up to acceptable industry standards.

Repair work has included concrete paving to be dug up and replaced, major rework to their stormwater installation and much internal gyprock and painting finishes to be redone.

And now - another 3 months have passed and that list of corrective action has not been completed. We are now 8 1/2 months since handover and we are still waiting for Format to finish the houses to the standard they should have been at handover.
I doubt we will ever build a new house again - but if we do -
We would not trust this lot to build a cubby house…

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 questions

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

Fullarton Houses

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2017

The workmanship was very good. This confirmed by another builder.
I had no independent overseer and experienced few problems. However any alteration to plans before finalisation were overlooked and needed repeated reminders. Even then some matters like location of water tanks; plumbing loops; external power points; gas meters etc had to be rectified AFTER installation in wrong places. A cost to Format and delays frustration for me.
I would use FORMAT again but be more demanding about plan updates being recorded and followed on site.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2017

Well done Format !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

I choice Format to build my new houses, one has been hand over at last month and the other one is still under construction. I have to say Format did a really good job and I love my new house. I also need to thank my sales consultant Steven Riley. He really understands what we need and what we should pay attention on during the whole construction. He is knowledgeable sales consultant because we've got Asian background, he even know some "Feng Shui" theories that help us to design our new house. Well done Steve. If you guys need a quality builder, highly recommend Steve and Format to you guys.

Michael & Pam

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2013

Beautiful Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

Hi everyone,

First of all, A BIG THANK YOU for the wonderful home you have built for Doug and myself. Even today we are still pinching ourselves having such a beautiful home.

The people who we have had dealings with through Format Homes are:

John Cooper (great sales job mate!!)
Bill Murphy (fantastic information we didn't know about)
All the girls in the office (who kept me sane)
Levi (for his excellent supervision of our site - and must be sick to death of us!!)
All the consultants from the various outlets where we chose our products.

If I have missed anyone out it's only because we were attended by so many FANTASTIC people.

I have attached the Customer Satisfaction Form and there are only a few minor things that need to be attended to.

Oh, I guess a big thank you to Frank Formado (hopefully I have spelt his name correctly) for the choosing of his staff.

Doug and Desiree James

Lightsview, SA

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Just like Christmas

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2017

We have just moved in to our new Format Home. A lot of our friends warned us about building, we heard all sorts of horror stories. Our experience was totally the opposite, we have one tiny outstanding job to be done, everything was just about perfect the day we got the keys. The quality of the work done, the quality of the fittings & fixtures is of a very high standard. We were promised a six month build time & it took five & a half months-even with very wet winter we had this year. We are both very pleased with our new home, we love coming home to our "new baby".
Money well spent, excellent value, excellent tradespeople, excellent office staff.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Owning a brand new house could have not been easier than this!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2016

When I came to Australia, I could never imagine that after a couple of years of arrival I would be living in my new house. To own a house had become a dream and I could have not thought that one day soon I would ever own it. Format Homes made this dream come true in less than one year; far way from what I expected. That was not the only bonus of choosing Format Homes! Now that I am reflecting on the time I spent living at my unit while I was working and studying, I can not remember even one day that I had an issue with the house construction. I wonder how these guys built the house in a very quiet mode and left me at peace so I did not need to worry about anything. Every aspect of the house construction was taken care of; I was just enjoying to visit my house while it was being built and took some photos for my personal house project album; which, I tell you, is a huge fun! No one in my family and friend had done that before; all were admiring it. I take the chance to thank Matt who introduced me to Format Homes on the first day when I was seeking for a house builder. Terry, I am so thankful to you. You always gave me hope and energy and your warming words were always comforting me in the hardest time; I can not thank you enough; you are now my life friend. I am so thankful to Kieran my house project manager who was so patient when I was asking lots of questions and he was giving me his best professional responses. I express my thanks and appreciation to all Format Homes personnel, Philip, Rick, Frank, Marco, Joanne, Lisa, and many others who I may forget to name. You constantly supported me, advised me on your best, had very warm and welcoming attitude and customer service. Thank you all for everything you have done for me! Today, I am sitting in my house, drinking my afternoon tea and enjoying my house ownership!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2016

Excellent service and quality build

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2016

I've dealt with a lot of different Builders around Adelaide both personally and professionally. The level of customer service and professionalism shown by Format Homes is unmatched. Not everything went right (as it rarely does when you build), but they were there to help every step of the way. The quality of the finished product was exceptional and exceeded even our lofty expectations. I cannot thank the whole team at Format Homes enough, and refer all my family, friends, and customers to them.

Meadows, South Australia

• 2 helpful votes

Worth It!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2016

We had dreamed of building our home with Format after looking through their display homes some years ago, but initially thought they were outside of our price range. Having almost signed with another builder, we re-visited them to just talk with a sales person and see what the cost differences were. Turned out they were wholly within our price range as their standard selections were of such a high quality that they would have been considered "upgrades" with other cookie-cutter builders.

We had an amazing salesman, Terry McWilliams, who helped design our home with us and took into account all of our needs. We were well looked after all throughout the selections process to the finalising of everything and into the build itself. We always received our invoices and receipts promptly.

Now, nearly three months after moving into our home, we couldn't be happier. The quality of the craftsmanship can be felt and seen throughout - this is what initially drew us to Format when we visited their display homes. Our home looks and feels every bit as amazing as their displays did. We have not even had a single complaint or issue to report since moving in. Levi Nash was our site supervisor and was always approachable, professional, friendly and happy to answer all our (sometimes silly) questions. He was so incredibly thorough during our walkthrough and pre-handover inspection - he noticed small flaws that we wouldn't have even thought to look for and had them fixed straight away.

The only tiny things I would mention that Format could have done differently was to perhaps keep us informed as to where we were at and what was happening at each stage of the build. We only ever received an invoice when one stage was completed - and we would drive out to the site weekly to see what was different. Not having built before, it would have been nice to have had some updates. Additionally, it wasn't always clear who to contact about what issues (financial, land, council, etc.) so perhaps a list of contacts with clarification on who to speak to about what would have been helpful at the start.

Otherwise, can't fault Format for anything at all. Great quality, build stuck to schedule and price, competent and professional staff - I have been recommending Format to all of my friends and would encourage anyone looking to build with someone who actually cares about quality over quantity to visit one of Format's display villages and speak to someone. So happy we made the decision to speak to them again - our dream really did come true! Thank you Format for our amazing home!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Love our new Format home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2016

From our first meeting with the sales consultant through until handover we couldn't have wished for a better journey. The staff at Format were so professional and friendly and guided us through the whole building process , from designing a plan to suit an awkward shaped block and on through the whole selection process. The build started on time and remained on schedule through to completion. The quality of all the trades was exceptional as was the end result. Any problems with council or development requirements was always quickly taken care of by Format. Most of the trades had worked for Format for long periods and spoke in glowing terms of the company. We love our new home and are very happy we chose to build with Format, if integrity, honesty and quality workmanship are what your looking for then this is the company that I would highly recommend .

• 1 answer

Verified Customer

Perfect dream home can not thank Format enough and would highly recommend them!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2016

Professional service and easy negotiations from design to selections to the finished home. Can't rate Format Homes highly enough. The build quality and workmanship were extremely high. Their trades were excellent and all loved working for Format Homes. This commitment of excellence from their staff is why this has been an excellent stress free experience. We were made to feel a valued customer throughout the entire process.

Verified Customer

Building our home while we were overseas.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2016

Both the workmanship and build quality of our home were extremely high. Throughout the whole building process Format kept us informed and enabled us to have contact with the site manager whenever we felt the need. He was very helpful and despite us being in the uk throughout the whole build we felt very much involved in the process.
We had one trip over to Adelaide prior to the build to discuss details and choose fixtures, fittings and colour schemes. Again Format were very helpful.
After completion the customer service and support continued throughout the snagging of our home.
I have no hesitation in recommending Format homes to anyone.

Great People Great Homes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2015

After choosing Format Homes to build my new property, i now believe its one of the best decisions i have ever made. The team at Format are quite possibly the most professional, ethical, honest organization i have ever dealt with. There's always a bit of apprehension when choosing a builder but it became apparent quickly and very early on that i made the right one. I was able to sit back, relax and enjoy the process knowing that my project was in extremely capable hands. This peace of mind is "Priceless".

The people at Format know that this will probably be the biggest financial outlay you will ever make and they treat your project like its their own and have your wishes and interests first and foremost.

The quality of workmanship was nothing short of outstanding, people visit and comment on what a beautiful home i have, one person even asked if i won lotto, ha.

You've seen the advertisement on TV for Superloc "Do it once Do it right". Build with Format Homes you "Do it once you Do it right"

Thanks to all the team at Format and especially Bill Murphy who helped me deal with an unscrupulous demolition company who almost scuttled my project, without his help and advice it may never have gone ahead.

Lived up to ALL promises

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2015

Professional service and easy negotiations from design to selections to the finished home. Can't rate Format Homes highly enough. Their professionalism is reflected in their homes of high standards. You can trust this builder as they deliver on all promises. Amanda and Levi made our journey into this investment home easy and enjoyable and now we hope to reap the rewards of this investment.

Our Dream Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2015

From the first initial phone call the process of demolishing and building our dream home was a breeze. All at Format Homes were willing to help any anyway they could from their Receptionist to Building Supervisor. The process of selections was made easy too, that can be daunting!! The construction timing was as promised and practical completion and handover was seamless. We did have some issues with council and engineers but Format Homes kept things well on track during this. We have used Format Homes in the past for some development properties also, and the workmanship was second to none so we did not hesitate to use them for our Dream Home. All up we can say that Format Homes delivered above and beyond.

1 of 3 pages