Filter By:

Easy to use, good value

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2018

I haven't had any issues with them. I have had to ask them a question twice and both times got a prompt response. Way cheaper than my last health fund. I can't understand what previous reviewers are referring to.

Melbourne

• 7 comments
  • 3 questions
  • 1 answer
  • 25 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Nothing but problems and chasing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2018

Since joining GMHBA I have had nothing but troubles - they make you submit some claims via email and you have to chase and watch and chase and watch to make sure it is processed. The online portal is useless with questions going unanswered or as per other reviews taking days / weeks to get a response - and don't try ringing as that could be a long wait too. They can't show you your annual limits for extras online - it's been disabled and they make no reason why or if it will be ever available again.
The lack of customer service and simple functionality available from other Health Insurers means I will be looking elsewhere - sounds like this company is going from bad to worse.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

How long do I have to wait on hold?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2018

Well good thing I wasn't on my mobile...waited 20 minutes on hold just to ask how much my premiums were going to be increased. After 35 years with them they are doing their best to completely peeve me off, especially when I am looking at opting out. Do youself a favour...just bank your premiums and go public.

Will I or Wont I join up

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2018

I am debating to join the fund but reading your feedback makes me nervous but gives me lots to ask next time the phone person calls to get me to sign up and I will ask if it is recorded. They do make it sound like it is soooo easy.
Anyone have something eslt to add that I should be aware of. It is a real pain to switch health funds so don't want to be sorry but I am paying quite a substantial lot more where I am

Insurance claim made

You can do better for your money.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2018

The policy itself is terrible, and being Victorian they hold you to Victorian rules & regulations such as providing GP Doctor’s letters when claiming for simple things such as sleep devices!? The percentage you receive on claims, is less than most other insurers and their customer service is less than impressive. I had to make multiple calls to find out simple information. My advice? Look elsewhere, you can definitely do better.

Insurance claim made

Still getting to know dental policy

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 26, 2018

I went into my dentist to get tooth lengthening my claim was declined because my dentist was not known to be a specialist (a periodontist) and for this procedure in there system, they will only pay out if they are a specialist so therefore my c was declined. Even though my dentist has performed many of these procedures and their health care insurers accepted their claims. Plus even if you go to a periodontist the appointment alone would of cost more than the treatment.
So check first with your treatment plan to see if you'll be able to claim.

No customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2018

Been with GMHBA for a number of years; asked a simple question about the amount of upcoming premium (due on 5/2)...they closed the enquiry without responding.
Been waiting another day; still no response.
Such a simple request; I question how this company goes for anything complicated.
Will be moving elsewhere.

Sydney

• 2 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Good Value, Easy to deal with

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

I have been with these people for over 4 years. I have a policy which gives me $1500 for crowns each year with is more than double what I can find elsewhere. Claiming is quick and easy either through HICAPS or online. Easy to find and get information off their website. They are located in Geelong and I thought it would be a hassle being in Sydney but they are good to deal with. Anytime I call them, they are very polite and helpful.

Geelong

• 5 helpful votes

Was a great company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2017

I always believed in GMHBA, with a membership for over 6 years. Unfortunately, the business is changing and not for the better. After hearing about management forcing an employee to resign the day they had arrived back to work after a suicide attempt, my heart sank. This is not the GMHBA that I was a member of. This is not the Geelong company I believed in. Mental Health is just as serious as any other hospital admission and it seems that GMHBA does not support their own staff with mental health, how can they support their members.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Good service, decent coverage

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

Been on board with these guys for almost 3 years. I have mid level hospital cover and platinum extras which gives quite good benefits on most things, however the dental coverage (which was the main reason I signed up) isn't that great. In saying that I've struggled to find anyone who offers much better.

My thoughts on GMHBA

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2017

Probably about ten years since we joined when the scheme was recommended as good value. Since then service has been excellent and communication always prompt and effective. Hard to understand how some have had such problems. The fund still seems reasonable value though some extras are a bit low in some cases. Overall very satisfied with no need to look elsewhere

Perth

• 3 helpful votes

Very Happy!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2017

I have had GMHBA insurance for years now and made many claims with no dramas at all. Service is quick on the phone I have never had to wait when i have called up. Claim benefits are always paid to me without drama and payments are made quickly. The GMHBA claim center online is easy to follow and well set out. I am very happy with the service i get and have had for years now.

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Don't do it - just dont do it

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

Terrible service, misleading quote resulting in me paying more than my previous fund. They didn't send the clearance certificate to my new fund - just appalling service. Don't do it.

Insurance claim made

Good Insurance Provider, in my experience.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

This review is my honest opinion. I felt that the service was good value for money. I am glad that I went with them, as an insurance company. I made a hospital claim, and it went through successfully . My parents employed them for my dental health, with great satisfaction, for extras dental when I was a child. I have received excellent customer service on the phone and excellent customer service in person at the office, so far. I have been with them for roughly twenty four years.

Kiama

• 3 answers
  • 7 helpful votes
Private message

A little dubious - were quick to send out direct debit rejections

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2017

I joined GMHBA via Members' Own aggregator and was told by Members' Own that I would be billed two weeks or so after joining up which was on a Saturday. Anyway, Monday came and I didn't have enough in my credit card but GMHBA already tried to deduct my membership payments. The date my first payment would be taken which I advised of by Members' Own probably isn't GMHBA's fault but sure enough, I got a direct debit rejection letter. That rejection letter arrived quicker than my welcome letter or card. You know where their priorities lie.

I'll wait to see what happens when I actually need to claim something.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Hope Island

• 6 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Regional insurer no gap agreements with pathology in QLD

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2017

Seem to be very much a Victorian Regional society only, not a supplier nationally, was out of pocket by $600 on a stay in private ( amongst other oop's) when I confronted the pathology company they advised they had no agreement with GMHBA, which GMHBA later confirmed in writing, pathologist's advised a number of providers where if I were with them I would have had no out of pocket. Cannot move to a new provider as I have pre existing and would need to serve 12 months with anyone, nice one GMHBA. Defiantly not a friendly society, read the wage costs in the annual reports someone is doing well.

Poor form suggest to do your homework well!

Dont Go Here

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2017

Promptly takes your money
BUT
Impossible to contact by phone or text

Customer Support ................ WHERE ??????????????????

Waited 15 + minutes on the phone
Waited 20+ minutes on text
without response

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

NSW

• 3 answers
Private message

INITIAL experience is OK but yet to claim

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2017

I maybe a little disappointed at the moment as the transfer from old to new Insurer, the payments are still wrong as my old health Insurer are taking payments and GMBHA are not yet collecting the payments so the transfer process is failed, the terms look to be better than my previous but cost roughly the same so the claiming will be the deciding factor.

• 2 helpful votes

Disappointing start

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2017

Good value but very difficult to set up . We set the change over date a week ahead but a further month down the track we have not received our cards yet.
Also we should not have any waiting periods but it took 3 phone calls to sort out.
Customer support support so far were polite but didn't always do what promised. Hence 5 phone calls and still no cards

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Worst Health Care Provider

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2016

Horrible Horrible Horrible.. Impossible to lodge a claim with them. Worst cover on extras. As I joined a new employer I had to change my health cover from CBHS to GMHBA (as employer was providing it), all my healthcare experience turned nightmarish.
I sent them a claim through post but it never made it to their claims team. Online claims through their website is worst. Try reaching on call centre, it is easier to reach Medicare customer support.
Stay away unless you are forced to stay with them like me.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes