Item already sold

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 20, 2019

We live in the country so I always state how long it will take us to get there to purchase an item before confirming they will wait for us. On three separate occasions we have arrived at the agreed time to find the item has already been sold. This is annoying, disappointing and expensive in petrol money and time. On one other occasion we arrived to be told by the seller that someone else had offered more than the advertised price so she sold the item to them.

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Ria, Thanks very much for reaching out regarding this; we do apologise for any frustration and inconvenience caused. Please do let us know via our helpdesk or live chat and we can document the m... read more »

Giveaway and selling pets

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2019

The only thing I dont like about gumtree is that they allow people to post ads selling or giving away pets. This promotes criminal activity as this is where they get bait dogs from and dog for breeding for fighting . I feel this is really irresponsible. You guys can make a difference if you choose to

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Trudi, thanks for your feedback. We completely understand your concern and we can assure you Gumtree aims to facilitate pet trade in a safe, responsible and successful manner that benefits both ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Gumtree New Fees don't work

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2019

Hate the new Gumtree charges. I didn't pay for my adds. Paying wouldn't improve the response much.The response to my adds has dropped off by 80% because nobody can see my ads and most of the people who respond are pros. They say the ad is up but can't see them. I get no phone calls only pros.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi there, sorry for any inconvenience caused, but thanks for your feedback. Can you please contact us via our help desk if you haven't done so already so that we can accurately keep a track of your... read more »

Brisbane

• 2 answers
Private message

Gumtree works well for me

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2019

I have been selling items on Gumtree since 2017 and to be honest I have had pretty good dealings and not been ripped of or scammed. I am very honest with my ads/description and have not charged crazy prices. If I am using Aust Post I always wait for the payment and always use Paypal. I wish there was a “feedback” page like eBay as I believe sellers like me would benefit from good feedback.

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Lee and Terrance, thanks for your kind feedback. I'm glad you've been having positive experiences on Gumtree. We recently implemented a review feature in the musical instruments category and I'v... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

To many adds

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2019

I’m sick of the adds. Why the hell would I want anything to do with “invoice to go” there’s clearly more individual people out there than people who own there own business. And people who do own there own business is dam well not looking on gumtree. Another thing I hate is as I’m scrolling down it keeps on clicking onto the adds with takes me to another page???? Wth why does gumtree want to take me away from there page this is nonsense. I think the person who implemented this idea should be sacked!! New ideas should be taken into consideration.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Sam, Thanks for your message and sorry for any inconvenience. Sponsored ads are displayed based relevancy regarding web browsing history. The ads are placed through Google Adsense program, and... read more »

2099

Verified Customer

Never again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2019

Approximately 90% of the buyers who contacted me were local or OS scammers. Gumtree have absolutely no security in place, which makes selling items almost impossible. Unless you are 100% up to date with every scamming method known to man, you'll get ripped off by someone. The fact they haven't put some basic security in place, just shows how they couldn't give a dam if you get ripped off. This platform needs to be shut down. 0 STARS!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Warren, I'm very sorry to hear about your negative experience on Gumtree. We are committed to providing a safe and enjoyable classifieds experience to all users and the safety of our users is ... read more »

It’s great that you’re doing what you’re doing... obviously, it doesn’t work to protect honest people. You need to do more. Fix it or expect your business to fail. If archaic institutions like bank... read more »

Sunshine Coast

• 3 answers

HEY - IT IS FREE SO STOP YA MOANING

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2019

Free and very simple to use. For goodness sake, Exercise your common sense when advertising. Do not display your address using location - rather only give your exact location just as the buyer is on their way. .Be firm on the price and conditions before allowing the buyer to come near your items for sale. Mention you want them to bring the correct money as you do not have change. Don't ever accept email enquiries. text enquiries are best method where the buyers number cannot be hidden.... And remember to keep a record of all your correspondence. Do not forget to include a disclaimer in your add if you want to minimise time wasting tyre kickers. try something like this.... "genuine enquiries only, and foolish offers will be laughed at, ignored and then deleted"
Gummy allows you to Post with pictures that include links to video demonstration like a youtube video. This addition to your add can be a really useful tool. I have bought and sold heaps of stuff on gummy and had very little irritation from either way. Also there is the odd free bargain here and there. Consider before you throw something to the dump, try giving it away by posting a quick add with a picture. . It can be very useful to someone else even make their week - you might be surprised. You can take it to the footpath and leave it on the side of the road for pick up if you do not want anyone at your home. I love Gummy, it is my preferred place to sell. Beats FB where phoney enquiries are rife with people posting comments just because they like to see their own comment and look interested in SOMETHING when their wall looks boring and they cant find anything to say. Big thumbs up from me.

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi there, Thanks so much for your feedback. We're very happy to hear that you have had good experiences, both buying and selling on the site. Thank you for providing your insights and some tips as ... read more »

A good site

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2019

I have sold my car and pool table on Gumtree. Also My husband has purchased computer parts there. It has always been a good experience for both of us. Just had to get used to the navigation process

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Roxanne, Thank you! Very nice to hear that the site has worked for both you and your husband and your experiences have been positive. Please don't hesitate to reach out at any time, should you h... read more »

Australia

silly policies

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 04, 2019

There is a gum tree policy that states duplicate accounts/ads are not allowed. I wonder if this is implemented fairly. Also very silly, the one account per household policy. So does that mean entire family – mum, dad, brothers and sitters can use only one account ? My best bet is that they are using this rule to discriminate a few users. If approval/disapproval is under the control of helpdesk employees, they can decide whom to keep and whom to block. This policy opens the door for discrimination.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi there, I apologise for any trouble or confusion. I can confirm first, that site policies apply to all Community Members. I can also confirm that family members/members of your household are able... read more »

Melbourne

Private message

Total waste of my time with fake interested buyers

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2019

I have had a Christmas clean out at home and decided to use Gumtree for the first time (opposed to Ebay) to sell my things I no longer needed. From thereon you will be contacted by 'fake interested' buyers for each item asking exactly the same question, I even had one offer me money outright without even coming to look at the item, now who does that, however funnily enough that person did not respond when I went back to him to negotiate the price . It is a total scam which ever way you look at it and not to mention the fake names it comes up with it, like [names removed] to name a few I have deleted two of my ads and have now gone back to ebay, at least here you know it is not fake. Have only left the other two items because I foolishly paid for the ad to be on top. So disappointed and I now feel like the fool. Never again and sellers be ware.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Michelle, Thanks for your message and I'm very sorry to hear your first experience with Gumtree was not positive. All feedback is important to us and you can be sure that we take into consider... read more »

Thanks for your comments which l replied too yesterday. You already know comments and thoughts around this response . My view hasn’t changed and l am very cautious with those who now contact me for my remaining items.

Melbourne

• 2 answers
  • 22 helpful votes
Private message

Best free selling site ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2019

Gumtree is the best free site I’ve ever used to buy or sell. The posting of ads is quick concise and straightforward .
My ads sell quick and attract many
People of interest and I can’t fault this site .
I recommend gumtree to anyone as long as your aware of your obligations and risks you should have a successful time in your dealings .

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi there, Thanks very much for your feedback! Very happy to hear that you've had good experiences on the site with buying and selling. Please remember to let us know if you have any questions, conc... read more »

Sydney

Useless these days.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 01, 2019

We used Gumtree for several years and it was quite good however it's now useless.

Whenever I put up an ad, a page will load saying "Congratulations your ad has been published". However there's never any sign of it.

I contacted the helpdesk and was told that the problem was that I had multiple accounts which was not allowed.

However I don't have multiple accounts. I have one account and then there are multiple adults living here in the same house who each have their own accounts. It appears Gumtree can't tell the difference. Not that it should matter anyway since the different accounts are used for different things and there are no duplicate the ads across the different accounts.

Looking through some of the recent reviews here, it appears plenty of people are having the same problem but Gumtree persist with this flawed 'enforcement'.

What's worse is that they don't provide any warning and they compound the problem by telling you your ad has been published when it hasn't been. Why doesn't it say it was not published because of multiple accounts?

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Jeremy, Thanks for your message and sorry for any inconvenience caused. We do not allow multiple accounts to be used by one person, household or business in order to maintain fairness and ensu... read more »

australia

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Don't ruin your business with these guys

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2018

Bunch hot headed armatures running the show. They just close down your account saying you have duplicated ads or just for for no reason at all. Useless service and a waste of time and money. If you are doing a business, months of hard work to promote it will suddenly come to a halt when they block your account.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Rodney, Thanks for your message and sorry for any frustration. Ads not following our posting policies may be deleted and violations of our posting policies may result in restriction of the acc... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Worst advertisement experience with gumtree ever.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2018

I am using gumtree from last couple of years for all my buying,selling & service needs.I used to put my add on gumtree for my ute business.Last time i just remived my add once & put it again.It strted showing me pending for a long time and didnt get posted to which i thought there might be a technicka fault and tried posting the new add to which all my adds were gone and i got a message from gumtree that i have duplicate adds and restricted access to my account permanently.

So,my concern is what did i do wrong if i thought of a technicality as my add was not getting posted.

Is this the service and experience the gumtree gives it to its customers?

Instead of helping me out with that and letting me know what i was doing wrong and if at all it was something wrong as per gumtree, don't they give even a single warning of an account suspension to its customers?

I mean i never faced this issue & experience before on any other site. In Fact i used to love gumtree but now as they have shown a rude and u professional behaviour to me which is very frustrating.

I still hope that i would be listened once and i will get access to my account.

Thanks,
Rob

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Rob,

Sorry for any frustration experienced.

Please try contacting us once again if you haven't done so already so that we can look into this once again for you. You can send us a direct email to communitysupport@gumtree.com

Thanks,
- Lee

I have done so a number of times.Recently done 2 days back.Got a mail with a ticket number 0001057551 which states that i will get a response with in 24 hours but its 72 hours.Haven't got any response till now.What else do you want me to do mate?

Lee,
I am asking again.Are you gonna help me out.Because as you asked me to do another mail.I did so.Niw please help me out.

• 1 answer
Private message

Bad room rent experience, and no response from gumtree

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2018

I rent a room through gumtree in October this year, and the landlord tried to bully me.
She behaved properly at the beginning, but started to play a game and tried to get me problems after I told her I am moving out.
The address is [details removed], the landlord named [name removed]? The contact number is ([contact details removed]), I can only give a few numbers for reminding others, coz I can not expose other's private contact.
She started the trick after my decision to move out.
Remind me of taking money out of the bond if the room not cleaned when I leave, she can take money or do similar things, but she is rude to tell me more than 10 times. And my work started very early in the morning, she knows that, and we were going on well at the beginning, but she started to complained that I made big noise night time and I left the kitchen tap running water, which I didn't do. And her words kind of insulting, she said "you are not 18 years old girl, you must know the rules," and I gave her 10 days' prior notice to move out which the contract shows a week's notice is fine,but she didn't give back to me 2 days' rent, and she didn't give back to me the full deposit, the reason is that I didn't mop the floor with a mop, but I wiped with a clean cloth, and she said"we Aussies mop floor with a mop, that what Australians do", I know what a mop is, I just don't have it.
And during the rent time, I used my owner kitchenware(cooker, pot, pan, dishes), and I even gave my rice cooker for her to use, but she behaved very rudely at the end.
I was moving out on Saturday, and I worked Friday morning, she started to ask me 2-3 days before I moving out, Why I didn't clean the fridge and finished the cleaning, what's the hell, I paid the rent till Monday.
And her rent is not low, 140/week, extra money for toilet paper which she didn't make it clear at the beginning, and took more money when I left.
The photos showed the room I cleaned, what in her mouth is very dirty.
It's a very bad experience.
And I reported on gumtree, no response. I am very disappointed, although it is not a fraud, she is a very bad seller.

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Anita, I'm so very sorry to hear of your experience. I'm sorry if you've contacted us and haven't received a response yet. There may be a delay in our response if you contact us by email due t... read more »

Thanks for reply, I have report the seller's ad , but still there is no action for this ad, still active,
She is not fraud, but very bad hostess, I even felt knid of racism from her words.

Gumtree Official

Hi Anita, I'm sorry once again about your experience. If you've reported the ads using the report ad button on the website appropriate action will be taken if the ads are violating our posting po... read more »

Its annoying

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2018

I use gumtree all the time since 2011 and recommend it BUT!!!! It stuffs up alot these day like the past 3 day I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO POST ADs
I post an AD and it disappears... it dosen't NOT Show up in MY GUMTREE..... spend all that time writing out an AD and it dosen't post. Mind you i try posting it 6 to 8 times on two different accounts and still didn't want to post i will stat using Facebook and other site more Because i cant afford !!!!!

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Kodi, Sorry for any inconvenience caused. We don't allow the use of multiple accounts on the site so this could be what's preventing your ads from posting, however, we wouldn't be able to chec... read more »

Gumtree is fine if you use common sense.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 25, 2018

ive used gumtree plenty of times and sold some valuable items without any problems and never been scammed because i use common sense.
Simple rules i use.
1. Never hand over an item until the cash is in your hand.
2. Meet face to face in a public area to sell your item and Never do business from your home.
3.Verify Payment.. If using bank transfer, verify payment by logging into online banking or calling your bank to verify payment for the item your selling and payment has been transferred into your account.
4. Don't assume people are honest, they are not.
5. Scammers spammers and trolls use Gumtree so use common sense.
6. Never reply to buyers Messages, Texts or Emails, almost all of these are scams, very few are legitimate, If they cannot call you, do not deal with them.
7. Don't fall for sob stories.

Most of the problems sellers have, being scammed, are caused by their own stupidity, assuming they will be paid, assuming people are trustworthy when they are not

Keep in mind Gumtree is a website used by scammers, spammers trolls and povo's (people without any money)

Used wisely Gumtree is fine, Be smart and you will not fall victim to scams. You only have yourself to blame.

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Steven, Thanks for sharing these safety tips and thanks for your feedback too. We have a number of articles on our help pages as well with some more tips on how to stay safe as well such as th... read more »

Adelaide

• 2 comments
  • 1 question
  • 3 answers
  • 17 helpful votes

Be aware of scammer

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2018

First off all I am not knocking Gumtree, this is a warning to sellers.
On the 23rd of November I received a SMS from a so called [Name Removed] from this phone number [Phone Number Removed] wanting to purchase all of my coins and banknotes, as he was a huge collector. I ignored the message until next day. Will many SMS back and forth I agreed with a sum of $9,700. Now when I have a deal with a buyer I never do the transaction at my home. I meet buyers at the local shopping centre car park. But this was huge so I agree for "Andy" to come to my home. Now $9,700 was transfered into my bank account, it showed that the amount was paid into an atm in Tununda SA.
This so call Andy was to me a nice bloke claiming he had a heap of money to spend as he sold 2 properties in Tea Tree Gully and now living in Pt Lincoln. He stayed for over an hour. Okay long story short. On Wednesday the 26th my bank had dishonoured cheque lodged.
It is now in the hands of the SA police and my banks fraud section. I had a call from sapol with the news that the phone is registered to a woman living in the Barossa Valley and is well known for this. By the way the cheque was stolen from a Adelaide business.
I have been stung and have lost faith in people, I feel like closing my gumtree account down and sticking with ebay.
Gumtree support are / were also involved but not much help in getting deleted adds back I was told links will be made available but I can't retrieve them.
So sellers be aware..

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Stephen, Thank you very much for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation. Regarding taking the matter to police, this is the recommended action. If you could, please contact us ag... read more »

Moray

• 4 helpful votes

Confusing new format

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

I’ve just upgraded and how I miss the previous clear easy to use layout. Admittedly any change takes a while to adjust to but this is NOT an improvement but a disaster. I don’t imagine I’ll be using Gumtree as much as I used to.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hi Caroline, Apologise for any trouble or confusion caused by our layout. Please provide us with specific feedback in regards to the issues that you're having, by contacting us via live chat or our... read more »

I’ve been an enthusiastic Gumtree buyer for many years fabulous bargains include a kitchen, car, large amount of decking, furniture, large greenhouse and countless other items. Our neighbours bough... read more »

Gumtree Official

Hi Caroline, We appreciate the additional feedback regarding the changes to the site. We will do our best to pass on your feedback to the appropriate team, however, it would be best if you could c... read more »

Morayfield

• 28 helpful votes
Private message

Does Gumtree sell our details to scammers?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

My partner and I each started receiving calls from an obvious scammer trying to say we owed money for an energy bill. The scammer’s number was ‭0403 736 616 (unreachable, now disconnected)‬. The only common website my partner and I use is Gumtree. This tells me either Gumtree’s internet security is abysmal or worse, Gumtree is providing our mobile numbers to scammers.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Gumtree Official

Hello, Thanks for your message and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please note that it's completely optional to provide a phone number in your Ad. If you do not include a phone number, a... read more »

1 of 44 pages

When I go into the item I am selling I get a message saying that I have had 2 offers. There is nothing in messages. How do I respond to these offers that I want to accept? Many thanks for your help Lsns

Jeanette M asked on Jan 14, 2019

Answer this

Hi Jeanette, if you're not seeing any offers in messages the message may have been deleted by the sender before you were able to see it. You can check your emails for copies of the messages as you should get email notifications for each message sent to you through Gumtree and if you have a copy of the message there you can reply directly to the email notification to respond to the offer. Please keep in mind though that if the messages were deleted by the senders then your response would not be sent as the conversation would be closed. If you are still having trouble or if you have any additional questions or concerns then please contact us via our help desk so we can have a closer look. We have options for both email or Live Chat here: https://help.gumtree.com.au/AU?cu=1&fs=ContactUs&l=en_US&lang=en_US&q=&s&ab=10 - Lee

I currently have an add on Gumtree, which shows my full address. How do I change this to only show my suburb and town ? Thanks, Greg.

Greg. asked on Jan 14, 2019

Hi Greg.
If you are on the app go to my gumtree and go to the add you have listed.
Click on the pencil icon top right hand corner to edit.
scroll to bottom of the add and click on location and contact.
There you can change the displayed location and make sure you press save before exiting.
Also you may need to go into your phone's app settings and find permissions for gummy and untick location.

If you are on a laptop or desktop almost the same
Find your gumtree picture right hand top corner
and click my gumtree until you see the menu appear
choose manage adds
Find the Edit the add button on the add you have and click.edit.
Scroll down until you come to the location and change the location.
I think you will need to make sure your device is not allowing your location to be shared with gumtree.
If you need help with that also you can google how to stop gumtree having access to my location.
I hope that helps.
Kind regards

Hi Greg,

The steps from 3Oh should help you to remove your full address from your ad. Thanks for that, 3Oh. You can also edit the default location on your Profile so that future ads do not include your full address here:

Please keep in mind that this only updates your location on future ads, but each active ad would still have to be edited manually for your location on the ads to change.

If you've followed those steps and the location has still not changed or if you have any additional questions please contact us via our help desk and we'll be happy to help. You can use the following link to get in touch:

- Lee

Can you tell me how to contact someone who is selling a car.

Nelson asked on Jan 14, 2019

Answer this

Hi Nelson, you can contact users who are selling cars in the same way you contact users who are listing regular items as well. Firstly click on the add and if you're on the website you should then see the option to send the seller a message or view the seller's phone number if they've included it on the ad. If you are on the mobile app then you would see the contact options at the bottom of the screen such as a phone, SMS, or chat icon and you can click on those to contact. If you're not seeing this or if you have any additional questions, please get in touch via our help desk and we will be happy to help. We have options for both email or Live Chat here: https://help.gumtree.com.au/AU?cu=1&fs=ContactUs&l=en_US&lang=en_US&q=&s&ab=10 - Lee