• 7 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2010

Overall pleased with end product. Good advice on area and home, took less time than i was originally told, good finish in the end. Only thing was a bit of the roof on my feature wall which is now sorted. Have recommended to friends & family.

+ were able to help me with everything from finance through to the house being finished. Big design range to choose from which i was guided through as it was my first home.

- Only thing was one small section of the roof i was unhappy with. Took two times to fix it over a couple of weeks, supervisor saw my point of view so helped out.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2011

Great service and very friendly and helpful. The finance department was a little slow at calling me back but when I spoke to them they were always helpful. Our building supervisor was the best – very proactive and quick.

+ friendly and helpful

- call backs could have been a bit quicker

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2011

Sales guy was straight forward, genuine and basically helped me to fulfil a dream of home ownership. Everyone I dealt with was professional and had good knowledge, especially the guy helping me with my finance. Pre-start was fairly smooth however I was a tad rushed. She was able to guide me through decision making well enough though. Also received updates on a regular basis so I was stoked with that.

+ very straight forward and the standard was very high

- prestart a tad rushed

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2011

I have just moved into my home in Butler having moved from New Zealand and it’s amazing how easy the process was, especially for 2 people who knew nothing about Perth! From the start everything was explained well to us. I found all people I spoke to very obliging. I was given great guidance and ideas on what colours to choose and they didn’t ever tire of me asking questions. I was provided with consistent updates which were important to us however over the Christmas break we obviously didn’t receive any which was a tad frustrating but what can you do when all offices are closed. We are tremendously pleased with our house and it is fast becoming our new home away from home.

+ updates and service

- lack of updates during the Christmas break

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 57 helpful votes

+ Nothing
The fact my partner and I got out of there as quick as possible

- Absolutely everything

From the receptionists, the BS they constantly spin, to the finished product… this company needs to be put out of business as soon as possible

Biggest rip off in building industry

I am so thankful my partner and I terminated our dealings with them before pre start and before we found land because after doing a bit of shopping and inspecting other peoples homes that built HomeBuyers centre, I could honestly say I would let my dog live in one of their ‘so called’ houses.

The only reason they continue to be in business is because they make it so easy for people to build, do not fall for it. The sales rep’s also don’t have 1 clue what they are talking about in terms of finance. Buyer Beware….

36 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 37 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2012

+ They tell you everything you want to hear(but this is not always a good thing)

- Salesman full of crap, incompetent, arrogant.

28 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2012

Found them to be extremely helpful and informative. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. It was fast and efficient service and I was well guided. My client liaison girl was always available to take my calls and I didn’t worry about anything the entire time.

+ very informative and knowledgeable

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 40 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2012

The only good reviews written about homebuyers centre are one's that have been written by the salesman or employee's. The salesmen are rude, self indulgent and will stalk you for a sale.I over paid too much for my house compared to what was available after they sapped me for everything I had. They even demanded to see my bank statements even though my finance was all approved. My house is falling to pieces. I have rising damp only after six months as the bricklayers have filled the cavities with cement and my slab is covered in deep cracks ever ywhere. My tiles are falling off in the ensuite because everything has moved so much and the tiler was useless.When I checked the bricklaying (after I was kicked off my block and was told i wasnt allowed to look at my home untill I got the keys), there were massive gaps between the bricks through out the house where the bricks are supposed to be joined. All my tin roof covering rattles in the wind.Be aware that only about 10% of the tradesman that build their houses are actually qualified. They use cheap illegitimate labour to cut costs to put in their own pocket.I was told this by a past employee who was to embarrased to keep working for them.My inside bedroom doors have had holes in them or been damaged before i moved in and have been bogged up and painted over. My kitchen bench is scrated from everyone useing it a a work bench.The guy who was supposed to oversee my house has no balls, he had no knowledge of the building industry and turned to water and rang his boss for advice every question i had.Come to think of it im sure he was inexperienced.So people be so careful, i'm too ashamed to sell my house. I dont know what to do. I'm stuck with a big fat peices of shit that cost a fortune.

40 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 66 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2012

Salesmen were shocking, high pressure, hard sales lines. Felt like if i wasn't there to sign a contract then “the door was that way!”. After my first interview with a salesman i was super cautious about what i signed and agreed to. The hard sales tactics just made me feel like I was being conned. When i finalised plans i felt really rushed to sign and contemplated going elsewhere (to another builder) but it was the good house plan that kept me there. After signing and paying the deposit, i felt like i had to turn up at the front desk to ask que stions because phone calls were just a waste of time. Then the salesman i was dealing with left the company and i ended up with another salesman, his boss, who was just as full of crap. I was not shown all of the available plans and i found (myself) a plan that incorporated most of my extras and saved myself thousands by changing to it. At pre-start i was made to feel like i was wasting the girls time and was told to hurry it along. In the actual build, the site supervisor was useless, spineless and everything was too hard for him. Heard every excuse under the sun as to why stuff ups could not be fixed (which is utter crap cause they all can) and even busted out sob stories for sympathy points.....WTF! If that wasn't enough, i was told i was not able to contact any tradesmen on their work, yet my phone number was handed out to a tradesman who made a momentous stuff up, and he rang me asking that i let him leave the problem the way it was as 'HE' would be getting a towelling for it........again, WTF!!
If you feel you must go with Homebuyers Centre then be careful, take it slow, check everything, and make sure you get a build inspector upon completion. i didn't and the amount of shoddy work i have found since completion is just poor. I fail to see how these people stay in business.

+ Good house plan designs.

- Bad customer service. Site manager was useless and a blatant liar. Treated like a pain in the ass as soon as your deposit is in their pocket.

52 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 22 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2012

very crooked builders limited choice of plans. not at all flexible. very slow in getting pricing. be very careful. poor gallery selection.

- very bad experience. lucky we got out of them. was attracted by their 'only $300' deposit scheme and advancing of FHOG. but beware this FHOG of $20,000 they include in the house price. i had clearly calculated this with a similar plan with two other builders. also in house finance resolve was very bad in communication and responses. had the finance denied. also they tell a base price during the initial meeting and when go to sign the preliminary they include a huge amount called price protection to the price and really push into signing of the contract. anybody dealing with them be careful of this issues.

22 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 16 helpful votes
Private message

did not build with homebuyer's

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2012

same as the earlier reviews, the process is very wrong. we were also given the assurance that the finance guy wouldn't go ahead with it unless he didn't think that there was a good chance of getting a homeloan approved. we received a request for the deposit before finance was even secured. we used their finance guy (resolve finance?)- our application was already declined by a bank and he was asking us to wait to make another attempt with another bank, but somehow while all this is happening they wanted us to pay a deposit and sign the building contract. whaat???

siteworks charge was high, house price was high considering it was all cat 1 and quite small and the contract was very questionable to us. It states that it's an hia contract but there's parts that are crossed out and parts that they have added? did not feel comfortable with it at all!

we felt bad - but we also felt very relieved, that we didn't go ahead with homebuyer's centre. Lost our $1.5k prelim deposit, but we think we saved ourselves much much more.

we have now successfully got ourselves into a huge debt and nearing the end of our build - not with homebuyer's.

+ the pictures of their display homes on their brochures and website

- dodgy.

16 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 17 helpful votes

RIP OFF!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2012

We were getting our finance with their recommended finance company Resolve, paid deposits for land and house build. To cut a long long story short, we went prestart which was recommended by our sales man for homebuyers even got shire approval, ready to put the slab down but it took 5 months to get any sense from Resolve regarding the mortgage only to find they say we couldn;t have!!! Then to top it all Homebuyers centre kept the deposit and the EXTRAS money we handed over at prestart! We lost $2500....1st homebuyers will never get on the ladd er if gonna lose money that easy. The whole process is wrong, you should have to ensure you have a mortgage before entering into the build process! DONT believe that the "Mortgage guy would not be processing your mortgage if he didn;t think it would not go through" cus believe me he will then homebuyers will pocket any money handed over. Oh and when they sent the BILL there was another $50 oustanding, which they say as a gesture of goodwill they will waiver!!!! Cheaky buggers. Oh yeh then we got the voucher for $1000 for recommending, FAT CHANCE.....

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 49 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2012

+ Good plans

- Lies, Incompetent, poor customer service, Bullies

49 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 84 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2012

+ plenty of good plans to choose with good pricing to start with. mostly nice sales reps although some of them are quite new and not knowledgeable. Display homes finish looks quite good for the money.

- Beware of the salesman attitudes that may be put forward to you, to get you hook on signing the paper in a hurry ( sounds like some salesman in car yards). Heard some critics about the building process that takes longer than promised ( need to be proven, if you darem :)) I met with one salesman (initial N) that was very nice at the beginning, but when we were at the 2nd meeting and start talking about what i wanted and what price i would pay for, then the truth started to show, the true nature of salesman, who sat me there for at least 30 minutes with his "lectures" about how great the company is comparing to others, money is nothing when it comes to the value provided by the company products ( which are the same anyway - cheap stuff!!! with big margin on his pocket, fool!! ) and some lectures on customer profiles ( again, something to make you feel stupid about having to tell him what you wanted out of your MONEY!!! Who is the boss here? ) i wonder.

44 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 60 helpful votes

Homebuyers Centre

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2012

Ok biggest mistake was thinking these people could build me a house! I have left leaving this review, as I wanted to see if they would actually fix their stuff ups but alas I think hell will freeze over first! Best thing about this is I have hundreds of friends, most of my friends have seen my horror hole of a house and of course they have now told their friends and the revolving door will continue to spin. It is just bad business to not rectify blatent stuff ups like my hell hole. I think they thought they could rip me off but they have pick ed the wrong person to mess with. Absolutely horrified with every aspect of my build. I have shown at least 200 people and tradies and they stand there and shake their heads in disbelief. I will post my building thread wherever I can so no other poor person will be treated the way I was. My house will never be sold because no person will ever want it. it is that bad! Even my toilet roll holders have fallen off the walls, there is nothing right with my house. I have had to get several tradesmen out to fix things as they can't be bothered. My list could go on and on but as Molly would say, "do yourself a favour " and run away from these cowboys or you will be sorry! They havent heard the last from me and will in the end realise that you don't screw over someone who knows so many people and I am not afraid to invite them all in for a looksy.

60 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 21 helpful votes
Private message

Beware this organisation. I'm in Sales myself and would never stoop to these practices.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2012

First rep I dealt with called my for an appointment on a Saturday morning, spent one hour going through their generic brochures, and most of the time telling me how he wasnt happy working there, and was looking for another job. Loud drum and bass music playing in the office next to me during this meeting, very unprofessional. This rep never followed up on actual buying questions from me after this meeting, and actually used excuses like "it is my grandmother's birthday", as reasons for not getting back to me.

Deceptive sales practices, wil
l change the story and solution and say anything to get you signed into one of their deals. $45-$55 per hour admin charges for 5 hours after finance declined, but cannot say when and what tis work was they are charging for. 15 day gap between decline advice from broker and next contact,homebuyer centre continued process to pre-start stage, until I notified them finance had been declined, the salesperson didn't know until I told him. This is also severely impacted on my ability to settle the land in time, regardless of whether finance was approved. Obvious poor communication between sales and finance. Salesperson was constantly talking "off the record", but none of his off the record advice was accurate. Also advised my father he was eligible for the $1000 referral fee, which he applied for, but they never paid it.

I signed an initial preliminary works contract that has a clause that specifies there are certain costs you are responsible for regardless of finance approval. Fair enough - there are some services you would reasonably expect to commit to like basic engineering/survey costs, however they also included 5 hours of "admin" charges at $45-$55 per hour, but can't specify why or when this work I've been charged for took place, in fact, the fundamental deceit here lies in the reality that you have no idea when they start charging you, so you might be in with them for four hours, and don't realise they are charging you for either this meeting, or the associated admin. they cant wait to get their hands on your initial deposit for the works, but when you terminate for declined finance, they take 6 weeks to pay you back (after "costs"), and pay you in dribs and drabs over that period. If they can take a lump sum from you, they should pay it back as such. Massive fail in customer service, if you are intending to charge a client admin or consulting fees, these should be specified in the contract, not some general clause that allows them to retrospectively and arbitrarily apply these charges, without showing specifically when and what work was undertaken at $55 per hour.

In brief - inconsistent, deceptive sales and finance advice, poor follow up, poor communication, after spending hours filling out forms and attending meetings in my business time, after finance decline (for lending rules reasons, I applied for the product they advised was best suited according to them and was still declined), I am now still not building a house, and am down half my initial deposit due to their "fees". I will never use this organisation again, and have distributed my experiences already across my 2000+ business network, and my facebook connections. So enjoy your few hundred $$ "Homebuyers" - its the only money you'll ever see out of me.

- Deceptive Sales Practices, Poor Follow Up, Inconsistent Information, Unjustified "Fees", even if you cant build with them.

21 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Well built, great supervisor!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 19, 2012

I signed up to homebuyers in November last year. I just had my final inspection and am due to move in early next week. Building only took 5 months. The majority of the time was buying the land and sorting through the paperwork beforehand.

Throughout the build I had an independant inspector check on every stage and he was impressed with the quality of the work. The supervisor was very strict with his trades and ensured they all did as he asked with no compromises. The only faults we found were minor touch ups.

I changed multiple things on
my plans and even swapped the base house model right as we were about to sign final plans. Upgrades for certain items at prestart were a bit ridiculously priced. Others were cheap as chips. I just left out the expensive ones to do myself later.

The client liason officer was quick to respond to queries, though a bit redundant with the updates. Most people should be able to see the bricks have been laid. My last update stated final stages would take 6 weeks until completion. This ended up only taking one week.

+ Quick, well finished and priced.

- Slow to start, confusing pricing.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 23 helpful votes

I'd actually select no stars if I could! Very unhappy with HBC

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2012

We are stuck in a contract with HBC and I only wish I had read these comments first before signing up! I just cant believe that everything I am reading is exactly what is happening to us! I only looked on here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problems and surprise surprise yes they are! Well...Sales guy was great, did a quick finance calculation & said there wont be any problems getting finance (thru resolve) & told us we could pick any house we liked, so we picked a lovely design with all the features, paid our deposit for house and land and then finance was refused!!! They told us to wait a while and to pick another house....we ended up losing our house deposit to HBC (who assured us that we would get it back if finance was refused...lies) lost our land and then had to choose one of the smallest houses/designs u could possible get with the cheapest basic fixtures & fittings, we asked for simple items to be included in the house at pre-start but was horrified at the prices they came back with, not just $20-$30 over the price u could buy the item in the shops for (& to fit it) but $100's of dollars over! One item they charged $800 over the price u could actually buy it for and get it fitted!!! It cost us $1000 to add extra sockets & out door lights etc... All part of the con to make u spend more money, We were not made aware of the pre-start con even tho we asked the questions over and over again from the start, we were fobbed off, ignored and the pre-start girl was a rude snotty cow who was no help at all. We came away feeling angry, let down, confused and very very disappointed, we r first time buyers, we have a family with small children and now we are having a half finished house built that we r going to have to spend thousands on when its built to add all the things we wanted to add. I thought building/buying your first home was exciting and a big achievement but this has got to be one of the worst experiences we have ever had, the customer service is rubbish, once they have your money they don't want to do anything to help. We r so worried about what's coming next, it's getting built next month :( I'm dreading it. I don't even feel interested in the house anymore, such a shame. We have been advised by other unhappy HBC clients to NOT SIGN if u are not happy during the build, make them rectify before you allow mortgage co to release the funds. All we want to do with this house is sell it and it's not even built yet,

+ Very helpful sales guy..... Obviously!!!

- Cheap crap, poor customer service. Lied to. Confusing. Money grabbers!!

23 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

Do your research first.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 21, 2012

Our experience with homebuyers has been good. our sales guy was great at the beginning, very helpful and went out of his way to explain everything.
Once the papers were signed and we payed the deposit we did loss contact with him and it took him months to organise our pre start meeting. we also found he told a few small lies about what was included in the package. A "fully finished" house should not mean you still have to paint and landscape.overall quite good but i wish he had been honest with us.

the finance lady from resolve was amazing!
she went above and beyond to help us and answered every silly question I had (which was a lot!)i think people need to do thier research. we had a deposit and knew what we could afford. ofcourse the sales people are going to try to get you to buy the biggest most expensive house but just be smart about it and tell them what YOU want.

Prestart was expensive but again i did my research and knew what we needed, anything else was an extra. The lady was great very knowledgable and helpful.

we did wait 7 months for consruction to start so we were getting very impatient by the end.

we are now at plate high (bricks are finished) and we have been so happy with the construction of our new home. our CLO keeps us up to date and they have been quick and professional throughout the contruction.

after a few bumps along the way overall the experience has been good. my advice is to do your research, know what you want and what you can afford. the builders forum website has been so helpful for me.

I cant wait to move into our new home!

+ love our house design and they helped us through every stage

- did not always tell the truth

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 14 pages

Looking at the homebuyers centre for our home.. can anyone tell me what is not included in the price? Naturally we will ask this at the meeting but want other peoples experiences too :)

Ps76 asked on Jul 07, 2017

Answer this

Hi, they are very open as to what is and what isn't included and you can select extras/upgrades at pre-selection (at a cost), something to think about is extra electric sockets, we had extras in all rooms and I believe it was far cheaper getting it done at that stage versus later on.
Also, the show home will not be standard, it will have the higher ceiling more likely, we never went for it, the height of the standard is sufficient. We did go for the extra coursework in the garage though.
One thing we did miss on the plan was the family bathroom not vented, would have payed extra at the time if we realised. You also get one nbn connection, we had it in the living, a bit pricey from what I can remember to get it in the theatre room.. When the Foxtel guy came we got him to put another line in and cost 150.
Also think about upgrading to a slightly wider front door, not much bigger but makes the difference for getting furniture in.
What's included: electrical points ( certain amount), air con, all flooring, all blinds, cooker/hob and hood ( we payed extra for more tiled splash back). Stone bench tops. Garage front roller door ( no back roller door). Doors/frames,ceilings and cornices painted. Paved driveway/path to crossover and front landscaping package. Alfresco paved ( we left this off and got a deduction as we wanted to put deck down).
Think bout the cost of the additional work/costs required, paving down both sides, crossover completed and back landscaped. Painting, if you don't mind painting, do it yourself and save quite a bit.
Hope this helps.

Hello, I am just at the start of my build,plumbing and electrical is just about done then the roof will be put on..i am having a massive freak out about my kitchen colours,i chose a stone grey for the cupboards and wish that i just gone with plain white.. i called HBC before the slab had even gone down and asked if i could change it but was informed that the build contract had already been sent to the contractors. Has this happened to anyone else?. It's the only issue i have with the house and it's making me feel uneasy about the build.

Hendrix asked on May 10, 2017

Hi Hendrix

We had a few changes too but they were not cupboards. I would just ring HBC and request your home building supervisor's assistance to ask if approaching the contractor yourself is an option? I was nervous about my bathroom tile colours as well but after everything was finished the colours came together very beautifully. We accept compliments coming and I don't even hint I had doubts along the way. What you are feeling is normal but it won't be as bad as you are thinking if you fail to make the changes. Good luck!

Hello Casta,
Thankyou for your response,that is good to know that you also made minor changes. I will email HBC tomorrow and fingers crossed will be all good!

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone had included in their house package with HBC the upgrade to 900mm kitchen appliances? And did this include the range hood? We were told if we signed up by a certain time we could get the upgrade to 900mm appliances so we did and were then told we had to purchase the range hood (which you require for the appliances to operate safely..?). Would love to know if this is standard or if it should have been included. Thanks!

amfWA asked on Dec 20, 2016

Answer this

The rage hood should come with he upgraded oven. Free. Ask for ceased stone benches too if it's the kitchen upgrade for signing up. Ask for as much as you can as builind seems to have died down a bit

Hi

We would like to look into this further for you - If you could please email through your contact details (full name and best contact phone number) to [email protected], we will have someone give you a call to discuss.

Thanks,