Faulconbridge

• 2 answers

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Great little bike and cheap to maintain

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2018

I like small bikes and many of my motorcycling years were done on bikes ranging from 90cc to 125cc, Not covering so many kilometers these days, I wanted a reliable little motorbike that is cheap to run and register. I cannot lie, I wouldn't mind a few more horsepower than the CB125E can provide, but I am very happy with this little bike and plan to keep it for many years.
My home is in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, so the 125 has to cope with a 80km/hr roads, uphill on part of each trip. More power would be useful uphill, but the little bike cruises at 80km/hr most of the time, dropping down to 70km/hr or less up hills. I treat her gently, never having ridden it over 80km/hr, but a more aggressive rider could get some more out her. I have ridden little bikes on the 110km/hr M4, but the little CB125E is not really suited to this type of road.
Roads up to 80km/hr are great on this little bike. It is a very sweet bike; starting easily, running smoothly and with beautiful neutral handling. The exhaust note and mechanical noise are whisper quiet. It does everything right, with my only gripe being the time it takes to warm up on the first start of the morning. Most of my rides are less than 100km, but the low saddle and higher bars than I'm used to, make me think that a day's touring might give my backside a little grief.
A great delight of this bike is the petrol economy which, combined with a moderate sized tank, gives a range of 400km plus. All running costs are very low and with simple mechanicals I have no trouble maintaining it myself - saving lots of money. Even valve adjustments are easy.
Would I recommend it to others? If you aren't a powerhead, or have long runs on motorways, then I can't think of better value than this bike, with cheap running costs as well as initial purchase. I have owned it for a year and it has given no trouble and has the reassuring Honda quality. Its own reputation is building up as the model continues its run.
The only modification to date is that about 600km the 15 teeth sprocket was replaced with a 16 teeth sprocket. This raised gearing 6.67%, not so that I could ride the bike any faster but so that on downhills and flat roads the motor was a little more relaxed. I would have to change down gears a little earlier on hills, but so what. First gear doesn't run out so quickly - another thing I like. Because it is only one tooth bigger there are no modifications necessary, and the chain did not need to be altered at all (except its adjustment at the back wheel).

Perth

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Great little bike!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

Totally what I would expect of Honda. "Does what it says on the tin". Have come 'down' from a Fireblade to this after 12 years without a bike. Didn't know whether my ego could handle it, but at this price can't really go wrong. All you need for quick trips around town, when a scooter doesn't really appeal. I am 6ft 3" and 100kg, seat feels a bit low, but fine. Bike feels solid on the road. Nimble and keeps up with city traffic. Love the almost agricultural build simplicity, practicality and frugality. Nothing superfluous. Generally high quality build and components, except super thin vinyl on saddle which creases and I expect a tear in the future. I will use it for shopping for my next 'blade or even 600RR! Even then I think I'll keep her for the odd quick commute, when its going to be left on a carpark and to keep the miles off the RR. Loving my new little Honda - it's great to be back in the saddle again!

Bathurst

• 1 question
  • 4 answers
  • 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

rock solid bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2018

I use mine for around town and a few trips out of town, if your a learner or on p plates it goes as fast as u can legally go.

it starts first time every time and you get a brand new reliable little bike for a low cost.
Honda wont make anything bad, its great, i love the look and the handling and the fact that i got a new machine with 0km for the cost of a second hand with 30,000 -40,000 km on the clock.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

perth

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Cheap transport - you get what you pay for

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

This is about as small as you can go, engine wise, and still be able to get around urban roads safely. This is competing with postie bikes, chinese bikes, and scooters. They all cost around the same price so do your research and pick what attributes you want carefully. This bike is NOT recommended if you have to travel outside an urban area. You can only assume that this bike will top out at 80 km/h. Depending on wind, load, your size, and gradient, sometimes you will see higher on the speedo, up to 105 km/h on the flat. So it's perfectly able to keep up with traffic in 80-100 zones. But forget being overtaken in 110 km/h zones if you are doing 80 into a headwind. No thanks. Onto the review anyway:

Pros:
-Extremely easy for anyone to ride
-Tight turning circle
-Low seat height
-Low weight
-Forgiving controls
-Fuel economy ranges around 2.7-3.0 l/100km in real world use
-Extremely simple design makes it easy to work on
-Handy practical features like a comfy seat, centerstand, luggage rack, gear position indicator etc

Cons:
-Stock tyres are dangerously bad and difficult/expensive to replace (they run a weird size)
-Stock chain is rubbish and needs constant lube/adjustment
-A postie bike is even simpler and easier to work on
-Made in china, nuff said
-1000km oil change intervals
-4000 km general service intervals

Overall they're decent bikes, great price, you won't be dissatisfied with it if you purchase one. But unless you need the manual endorsement on your licence, does it really make a case for itself over say a 125 scooter?

If I was buying again, I would be looking at the honda cbf250. Basically the same design philosophy but you can comfortably cruise over 100 km/h. Due to the way rego is calculated in WA, and tyres being more readily available for the 250, and the engine isn't working as hard all the time, the running costs for the 250 are almost unnoticeably higher than the 125.

Comments

Just an update for those interested: Bike was purchased with 5000km, it is now at 22000km. It has still been totally reliable and user friendly, but there have been some non-maintenance parts requi... read more »

Sydney

Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Cheap and reliable

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2018

I purchased my 2016 cb125e for $1500 used with 5000kms on the clock you can find these on the road for 2400 new worth every cent fuel is 400kms to a tank around 12litres never had an issue starts 1st time every time 1 thing i was told do not use kill switch as it sometimes goes faulty and can get costly to diagnose otherwise perfect ride

Purchased at: Gumtree

Date Purchased: Jun 2001

Good entry level bike

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

This was my first bike and it's still going strong after 15 years. Never have any issue with it, good price, solid building and have plenty of power for new learner. Great fuel consumption a littl go a long way, easy to fix and after market part r plenty to choose when u want to custom ur bike
Over all great bike

Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Simple and easy LAMS Rider

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2018

Honda has created in the CB125E a simple and affordable learner approved bike, perfect for someone first bike as a lot of learner courses use the same bike in their courses so the transition from course to road is an easy one. Comes in three colours red blue and white . Over all a great early bike to get to terms with riding on the open road.

byron bay

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

perfect run around

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2018

I live in a small town and I use it just like a scooter, due to its incredible handling and ease of riding.

Mechanical features are as simple as it gets and I expect that it would run forever even if one did not bother service it. Fuel consumption is hard to believe and the rego in NSW is so cheap for such a small engine.

I would suggest it to anyone that wants to avoid traffic, fall in love with motorbikes or just even to experienced riders after a very relaxed ride.

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Perfect Learner bike

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2018

I got my learners last year and i wasn't sure what to buy, having read around i can happily confirm this bike was exactly what i was looking for, costs less than 10 bucks to fill the tank and it has no problems reaching highway speeds. would recommend it to anyone looking for an entry level motorbike

Purchased at: Bikesales.com.au

Date Purchased: Oct 1998

best in my life

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2018

Handa CB125 is the best motor cycle l drive for one year is the best ,l enjoy it during that time ,l like it better than a car easy to park less potrol and easy to control.lam still want to drive it here in Australia.lam happy to do that .

Brisbane

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Cheap, confortable and good

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2017

40km/L, very good for city, you can run for highways top spead is more than 100km/h.
Is very confortable for long hours on bike.
Is very good for city, no good for highway, is perfect for up and downs, is very silence.
I go to mecanic every 4000km to change the oil

Purchased at: Honda Dealers

Australia

Date Purchased: May 2017

Good for beginners

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

Bike is good for beginners, light to handle. Doesn't really go above 80 km/h, so highway driving in traffic can be unpleasant. Very wind affected, but easy to hold in good conditions. Choke takes some getting used to, especially if coming from a bike that doesn't have one. Dirt roads are ok, sandy roads not so much, therefore better suited for town driving.

Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Best first bike

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2017

This is an amazing small motorbike to get started on getting your license with. 125 motor, so not alot of speed but I loved this to learn the basics of riding. Highly recommend this bike with a great price and three colours to choose from. Blue, Red and White. Very economical with a good 300kms out of a $10-15 tank of fuel.

Onkaparinga Hills

• 1 comment

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

First bike or commuter

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

The Honda CB125E is a bullet proof little bike that is well suited to new riders, particularly those in their teens, and as a budget, economical commuter. It is comfortable to ride. Its maximum speed is about 90km/hr although with a little tweaking it reach 100km/hr. It has a good sized rack for carrying or mounting a top box.

Purchased at: Gumtree

Warragul

Date Purchased: Feb 2015

Perfect to get your L's on. But that's it.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2017

If you are after a cheap and easy to ride bike to get enough experience to get your license than this is the bike for you.
If you already have your P's and can ride on the road, than do not get this bike. You will grow sick of the lack of power very quickly.
As a naked bike the wiring loom is all neatly tucked away in the headlamp assembly, so if you're not too savvy with auto-electrical work don't open this as it's a birds nest inside.
I weigh around 80Kg's am about 5'6 / 167cm. I got top speed of 87 on a straight and top speed downhill at 105 redline on the tacho.

There's nothing wrong with this bike for a beginner looking to get some urban hours, but don't even think about leaving the suburbs on it.
As for construction, I only had one problem during the 3 months I owned it, that was that sometimes the gear indication light would not illuminate.

Ringwood

Date Purchased: Jan 2016

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2017

Was ok, has few issues like failed break and headlamp fall off, otherwise all good...... thanks for great service though and good after sales service.. thanks a lot for your help...

Sydney

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

good for starter

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

I got my L plate last year and I need some real experience of motorbike riding so I bought this one. Because the RMS use this model to teach starer, so I guess this one will be good to start riding. It is not expensive, and normal student should able to afford it. It is easy to use and park. I have a good experience with it.

Purchased at: Bikebiz

Melbourne

Date Purchased: May 2017

Low Maintenance best city bike

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Bought this bike to outsmart traffic and have a cheap mode of transport.
This bike is amazingly easy to maintain and commute in the city(within 70km/h speed zones).
Strictly don't recommend for freeways as it can hardly reach speed of 100km/h for long distances.
If you are maintaining it by yourself, this is the cheapest possible and effective daily commute.

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Enough power, easy to ride and practical

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2017

Just bought a new cb125, I didn't know much about this bike until I saw some people riding them using it for pizza Delievey, so I inquired ,1st cheaper then a scooter brand new! ,gear changing is mint, and shows you the gears 1-5 , light and easy to move around , easy to ride as other sport bikes you're crouched which hurts you're wrists and back!!, good to change lanes and view all surroundings (cars) , im 6foot and have big feet and weigh 96 kilos this bike has enough speed to get of the lights and I can hit 90km easy, so people thinking it's so slow no!, this is good for people who don't want to speed and cruise , less danger and less ego , even the sales reps where like you won't get of the mark (halfwits trying to sell you faster bikes!) don't think cause it's 125 it's crap , also not many electronics and filters involved so it's easy to maintain, also I go on highways with it so it's fine. Great bike , my second Honda! Always the best!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Western Sydney

• 1 question
  • 4 answers

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Fine little motorcycle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2017

I was looking for a cheap bike for my daily commute into town as my other bike was too expensive to waste commuting. The CB125E seemed like the best value and I picked a year old one up for $1800 complete with topbox with just 300kms on the clock and in perfect condition. To be fair the little overhead cam engine is probably the slowest bike I've owned in 40 years but it sure gets the job done and is unbelievably cheap to run and maintain. Its at its best around town but handled the 120km ride home when I bought it just fine.

My hands were getting wet and cold in winter so fitted barkbuster hand guards. Its is easy to service yourself and zero problems to date. The seat can be a bit uncomfortable after an hour but I am 80kg. It is very light to handle and if I had to critisize anything it would be that the rear shocks are a bit bouncy.

I would highly recommend a CB125E for first time riders, commuters or as a second bike so you can save your more expensive bike for weekends. The finish is excellent and after 2 years it still looks new. Keep up to date with oil changes and it will last for years.

1 of 4 pages