Filter By:
  • 22 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2011

We completely enjoyed working with Hotondo and are looking to build an investment home with them as well. The Hotondo builder we went with is in the Sydney area and had built a number of homes that we could go and drive by within the estate we were building in. They provided us with a beautiful home and a very unstressful experience which particularly after reading some of the other review for other much bigger builders, we are incredibly grateful for. Thank you hotondo! Anyone looking to build, do not hesitate to go with a hotondo builder!

+ Being able to change the floor plans. With other builders, they either were not going to let us do this, or were going to charge an arm and a leg for the privelage of not having a sausage factory churned out home. We had the ACTUAL builder on our site, and could contact him at any time. We also had direct contact with his wife and two other staff members in the office through the whole build - this was from design stage right to when we got handed the keys. It has been amazing to us to read about the poor people who could not speak to their site supervisor, and are given a customer service person that did not really know the job!

- Hotondo seem more expensive up front, but we have not had the 'variation' suprises through the course of our build. We did have one for piering, but they had explained that to us from the beginning, and had covered a majority of the cost within the tender/contract, so we only had a small amount to pay on top. So I guess it isn't really something we dislike is it? hhhmmm - I guess we didn't dislike anything!

28 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 24 helpful votes

Hotondo - Blue Mountains, Your Local Bodgy Builder

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2012

In the beginning we got the smoke and mirrors, the fake smiles and all the assurances in the world that our experiance with this so called local builder with a great reputation in the local community will be pleasant, professional and easy, Nothing was too hard for them! However this is only untill you are commited financially then this behaviour changes, We made our first set of payments and got our DA out of Council and then started having (initially small) problems and then finally when our builder had most of our money at the lock up stage of the build that's when the "we don't give a [censored word removed]" about what sort of work our tradies are doing in your house" attitude started!
We ended up waiting almost 12 months for our house to be built on a so called 190 day Building Contract and after months of arguments with the Three Stooges being (our site Supervisor, Construction Manager and our friendly local Builder himself) We come to the conclusion that Our friendly local builder and his sidekick ex wife are one of the best Bull..it artists we have met in our life, They employ bodgy,substandard tradies who for obviouse reasons arn't employed by any of the major home builders in NSW. The end resoult is a very long list of things that we paid good money for that are not done at all or half done or are sub standard in anyone's terms or have simply been damaged during construction and not rectified. All the promises by our Supervisor and Construction Manager during construction that all issues will be rectified ASAP very quickly turned into excuses and half assed attempts to justify poor and substandard workmanship when our friendly local builder himself got involved. Oh and he does not give a F..ck about what the two other (before mentioned) Stooges have been promissing to rectify for the past 12 months. Overall this has been a very unpleasent experiance that I would not recommend to anyone.
I have build two other houses in the past 12 months with a larger Sydney project home builder (who is not without faults and shortcomings) however compared to this so called home builder it was a pleasant walk in the park !!.

+ My experience with this builder was reasonable only up to the point of the first deposit paid by me and Council DA approval, from there on it was downhill !!

- Dishonest, Manipulative, No pride in what they build, No Customer care and above all no quality in their workmanship or end resoult !!

24 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Lechsince1689, Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with Hotondo Homes in the Blue Mountains. We currently have no record of these concerns, and we wo... read more »

Oh, Look at this... 15 months later and they finally care about what their franchise's are doing !! How about you contact your friendly local Hotondo franchise in teh mountains and get my detail fr... read more »

• 1 review
  • 20 helpful votes

Very dissapointing building experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

Received flash brochures about how professional Hotondo Homes builders are, no hidden costs and what great service they offer.
Unfortunately, hardly any of the promoted items on the brochure were delivered.
I was not advised that all household items (kitchen, lights, carpet etc.) was costed on lowest possible price. I would call this a hidden cost.
I felt that my satisfaction and expectations came in last while the priority was always the convenience of the builder.

- Hidden costs and poor warranty service

20 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

ADELAIDE

• 18 helpful votes

Build Location: South Australia

Hidden costs but no refund

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2012

After getting what I thought was as acurate a price as possible prior to visiting the site, I signed a preliminary agreement with Hotondo Homes in Port Lincoln and paid $1500. They then informed me of
another charge of several Thousand dollars for Tradesmen accomodation and meals. When I stopped the project, I received only $1100 refund. If all the charges were revealed up front as was supposed to be the case, I would not have signed the agreemnet or made the payment. Neither Hotondo Port Lincoln or the head office will resolve this issue. I say, "Why take the risk, there are plenty more builders around."

- Not wiling to take responsibilty for a misleading quote

18 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 17 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

I would highly recommend Hotondo Hawkesbury. They were honest and realistic. They provided what they said they would provide when they said they would provide it. We built a Castlereagh and are very happy with it. We think the design is far superior to comparable competitor designs. It is not 'frilly' but it is spacious and suits our family perfectly.

+ - Everything was included (except fencing and clothes line) - Home, tiles, carpet, drive, grass, vertical blinds, dishwasher, water filter, TV.- Dealt with only 3 people - Sales Person, Builder, Admin Person - They knew who we were and where our home was up to.- There were no hidden costs.- They were quick to build (Decided to build in April, through council in June, slab laid in August, moved in in March).- They adapted plans quickly and easily to reduce costs.- They have excellent designs - There is no wasted space - they are practical and functional - there are enough walls to easily fit furniture.

- - We are just waiting on 3 things to be completed.

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

Overall very happy with service, all problems were rectified very quickly except for rainwater tank. Would recommend the local franchisees.

+ Finished on time, good quality bricking and plastering (no cracks when 2 tremors hit last year, flexible with design,

- A bit pricey. Plumbing ok but had trouble with rainwater tank pipe which will never be quite right. Septic tank was left sticking out of the ground right outside my back porch without consultation - what a view....Wiring good overall but again had trouble with septic.

• 3 answers
  • 42 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

We found the staff pleasant and courteous and willing to help solve all issues to our satisfaction. Whilst building a new home was very stressful I think it all went pretty smoothly. The builder had a good knowledge of BMCC requirements and was able to negotiate with them in our favor. So far we have had only a few small issues that required fixing and all have been dealt with satisfactorily. I think that we have been reasonable clients and therefor we got the builder on our side. We love our new home and would happily recommend Hotondo.

+ High quality finishes. Got what we were after.

- Building a new home is stressful. Probably the same with any company.

Build Location: New South Wales

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

We would recommend the team at Hotondo, Blue Mountains as a great team to work with at a very cost effective price compared to other local builders...and in the end we got a great home! Thank you Hotondo, we are still getting great feedback from passers by.

+ We had a great experience building our new home with Hotondo, Blue Mountains. We designed our own home and took the rough drawings to them, they helped right from the drawing up of council / builders plans, through council submissions and documentation which turned out to be a nightmare for both them and us. It is a large home on a site which required a lot of work and even with all that in mind they completed the project to an excellent standard in a month less than quoted. Every question has been answered and every issue raised dealt with by a very helpful team. We were able to choose the finishes, determined what to include or exclude and personalised it fully to meet our requirements. Nothing was too hard.

- Nothing really to add here.

hotondo builders newcastle

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

This is my first time building & after shopping for many builders I decided on Hotondo. They seemed a little more expensive at first, but once you read all the fine print it was sooo much cheaper. I paid a deposit with Coral however the final tender price came back $50 000 more expensive + I had to do the retaining myself (quoted at over $20 000), hotondo did it for $5000.

My bushfire also level came back at a 12.5, rather than a 29 (which my neighbours came in at..building with another project home builder). Coral also charged extra for "h" slab, when hotondo's came back at an M class. Clearly another way of making more $$$.

Little things like making changes throughout is also a big one for me. Coral wanted to charge $100/change after contracts signed, Hotondo nothing.Oh & also they are local builders, so understand council regs,areas etc.

I can not rate them highly enough so far & oh so quick( they started digging one week after it had come out of council.)

Will def. be building with them again

+ I call or email a question & have an answer promptly or the end of the day asthe owner is in the office. The admin & other staff are so friendly & helpful, making building a pleasure rather thean stressful.

- In the building process, yet to have one

• 13 helpful votes

Hotondo Homes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2012

We have had an absolute nighmare building with Hotondo on the Central Coast NSW. It took us ages to get the design of the house right due to poor communication between the sales lady and the drafts person. Once this was finally sorted out it was another 4 or 5 months to get through council.

When construction finally started the slab was poured incorrectly and then a section of the slab was required to be jack hammered out and then was left exposed for over 2 months before it was fixed.

The frames for our 2nd floor were ordered incorrectly. When the frames finally arrived 4 months after we started and were erected, it was noticed that the frames for the 2nd floor were wrong and didnt allow for the correct exterior cladding. Due to extensive delays to fix this problem we had to change the entire exterior look of the house.

The problems just went on and on, pipes not placed correctly by the plumber, so not consealed in wall cavity and false walls were needed to be built to cover these, toilet plumbing not it the right place, warped walls, gutters not level so dont drain properly, and the list keeps going.

Very poor communication between us and the office. We usually only heard from the office when there was a problem, or if they were chasing their next payment before the due dates.

Very minimal supervisor contact and in the early stages it appeared very little supervision or very poor supervison due to the amount of problems and avoidable errors that occurred.

We still have not got our keys yet, but already have a large list of things that we know will need fixing due to mistakes and also poor workmanship.

We definantly would not reccommend them to anyone. We expected paying top price for a house such as ours that it would meet the promises made by Hotondo of excellent quality and finishes, and value for money but it is very far from it.

The nightmare continues..........

+ Design

- bad workmanship, bad service, poor communication

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

15/5/12 - We finally got our keys 2 months after the origional promised handover date due to a dispute of variations they wanted us to pay and we did not agree with. We ended up paying the money un... read more »

The house is sorted now. only good thing about them going bust was the builders warranty insurance kicked in so we did not need to deal with them anymore. Head office was useless. They did not want... read more »

• 3 comments
  • 14 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Jul 2017

South Morang; South of the truth.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2017

After explaining our crappy start with another volume builder we were super excited and felt reassured that handing our deposit over to [name removed] was going to be a great move for our future. He assured us that we could supply our own appliances and use our family’s connection for Hydronic Heating and, verbatim, 'we won’t let you use a mate that's an electrician or plumber, but anything else won’t be a problem!' We briefly met the builder, [name removed], who seemed like a good guy. Prior to this initial meeting I had spoken with [name removed] at length and provided everything from the site survey and soil test to the dial before you dig report and the Yarra Valley Water service plan to ensure he would be well equipped for our meeting. He explained that site costs would be around $25K, no more than $30K and gave me a price on the house we were after. [name removed] went on leave and I was left dealing with a very curt and abrupt [name removed] who I'd speak to one day regarding something and then she'd call me the next to ask questions she'd received answers to the day prior. I'd then get emails requesting info she’d been given weeks ago. At one point I received an email intended for another client and it just felt like they couldn’t get themselves together and that they were very disorganised.

Whilst on the phone with [name removed] one day I explained that I would send over the specs for the appliances I was using and she said that they had their own providers and that I couldn’t supply my own. When I explained that [name removed] had said it would be okay she then told me that [name removed] was no longer with the company. Alarm bells starting ringing and I requested a meeting with [name removed], the owner of the company. I was fairly emotional during this meeting as [name removed] said the [name removed] was fired for lying to clients and that he was never going to work in this industry again as he had done this to two other volume builders. He said that I couldn’t use my own appliances because he had installed another clients pre-purchased appliances and they were pursuing him for warranty claims. He then said I could but he would charge me hefty legal fees for it. When I told him what [name removed] had promised he was very aggravated towards me, to the point where I was uncomfortable, and said ‘I can’t verify that he said that to you’. …Excuse me, but you’re now getting angry with me because you didn’t vet your staff member that you just confirmed was lying to all of your clients and you’re calling me a liar?! This is something I should have said to him and at this point I should have left but being there by myself, feeling slightly intimidated and having already paid the deposit I simply confirmed with him that we would still be able to start building by the end of the year, to which he said ‘absolutely’ and I got up and left.

Hubby and I decided that we would simply install our appliances after handover and see what kind of quote they got for the hydronic heating. This had already been a two month process and we had paid the deposit so let’s see what it comes back to us at. We finalised the floor plan and met with [name removed] for the colour consultation. [name removed] was lovely! We went through everything with her and we left only having to confirm some bathroom tiles, taps and sinks. It took us two weeks to get this information to her but she had the completed colour selection by mid-September. We were told from this point that it would be two to three weeks to get our tender back and we were back to being excited and started to slowly pack up our house. At the start of October [name removed] emailed asking when we would be demolishing the house so that they could do the final soil test. I said it was coming down the first week of November. By mid-October we had moved out of our house, and the abolishment of the Electricity and Gas were going to happen anytime within the next 14 days. I know [name removed] had confirmed that we would definitely start building before the end of the year, but nothing with this builder had gone true to plan so I emailed [name removed] explaining I didn’t really want to pull my house down without the tender and she said that it should be ready next week but that they had pushed my build back to the end of January 2017. I was gobsmacked! You spoke to me a week ago and you didn’t think to tell me this then knowing I was moving 50 minutes away??!! I emailed seeking confirmation and was told that they had prioritised other builds to go to site before ours and that our tender would be ready next week.

At this point I called head office to ask if this was normal; was it normal to wait so long for a colour selection? [name removed] listen to my whole story and asked me if I would like her to get the build date back to pre-Christmas and enquire as to why the tender was taking so long… I was worried that this would triple the cost of my house as they would be annoyed with me for going to head office with this enquiry so instead we moved essential items back into our house and cancelled the abolishment of gas and electricity. Lucky too as we didn’t get our tender back until mid-November!! We finally met face to face with [name removed], who turned out to be very, very lovely in person. Unfortunately that’s where the loveliness ended. We were shown an up to date version of our house plans - which neither of us had seen - showing changes that were required for things we had queried but assured were okay, incorrect cabinetry layout, different ceiling heights... What the hell had just happened here?! Add to that the fact that our tender came in $150k over budget and we were beyond annoyed. I swore at this point and was told 'That's okay, I've seen much worse!' ...Great, so you do this a lot to your clients do you?!

We had a contingency plan as we knew there were a lot of variations but it certainly didn’t stretch that far. What killed us the most was the fact that base price of the house had risen $25,000.00, in addition to the extra sq we added on and our site costs were now miraculously $50,000.00! In the two months it took to get our tender back they had also fired [name removed], our colour consultant… The benchtops that were meant to be standard were a cat 2, the wall colour we picked ‘Yes, we can do that colour but we can’t guarantee it will be the same shade’ and there was something like an extra $40,000.00 in cabinetry costs because the style of cabinets we chose had to be vinyl wrapped, all unbeknown to us. The clincher; while doing our colour consultation we asked [name removed] the owner, personally, how many bathrooms were included in the promotion and he, himself, said two - but guess what... Only one was included! So basically the whole six months was a huge waste of time having been misled or lied to at every stage. I deserve and should pursue a refund for the initial deposit but I just don't feel like I have it in me to fight them for it...

Reading this back, we look like fools – we should have opted out long before we did but building for the first time is definitely a learning curve and we have both learnt very valuable construction and life lessons from this. I suppose that’s one thing to be grateful for?! I wouldn’t suggest building with these guys, increasing site costs to increase profit is disgraceful; though apparently the norm from what I’ve read. All I can say is be wary and trust your gut. Good luck with your build!

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi NatB, We're sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your Hotondo Homes experience. We always aim to deliver the best possible building experience for our customers and take this kind of feedb... read more »

• 1 review
  • 12 helpful votes

Great work Hotondo Blue Mountains

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 12, 2012

The team at Hotondo Blue Mountains built our home at Bullaburra.
It is a large executive residence and we cannot thank them enough for their patients and dedication to the task undertaken.
The block was unusual in shape with a very wide frontage (48mtrs) tapering at the rear.
The owner of the business spent many hours with us to come up with a house design that would suit the block and the budget. We were happy with some of the standard designs available at the time but our builder offered other options that made the house suit the block perfectly, it maximised the potential of the block and made our commitment to the contract easy. No other builder at the time gave this level of service and dedication to what was to us the biggest investment of our lives. His experience and advice was second to none.
The brick we chose was at first rejected by local council based on the brochures. After discussions with our builder he suggested and arranged for a small "sample wall" to be constructed on site and on inspection the council then agreed to our choice.
Hotondo showed real commitment to our home and our wishes. Everything was explained in detail and up front, the budget was met and we couldn’t be happier with the result.
There were a few small problems during construction as would be expected but all were identified by our builder and overcome in a professional and efficient manner. At each stage of construction before progress payments were made we would be "walked through" everything that has been done, issues that were overcome and what to expect over the next stage of construction.
The owner of Hotondo Blue Mountains showed a personal level of service to the construction and was always available to answer any questions or give advice even after construction was completed.
After we moved in we had an issue with a leaky shower and Hotondo had people on the job straight away. It was no easy fix - They removed tiles, re wet-sealed the floor and rebuilt half the bathroom all in a speedy and professional manner with a smile and a handshake at the end.

People often say once they build that they would never do it again but we certainly would and we know who to use.
Couldn't be happier with the result,
Thanks Guys.

+ On Budget, On time and great follow up support.

• 12 helpful votes
Private message

Quality home throughout! Professional and reliable Project Management Team.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

Hotondo Homes have recently built our family home meeting our high expectations with ease. Staff have been friendly, efficient, reliable and flexible in ensuring that our needs were met. A professional project management team allowed the building process to flow with minimal disruptions. They allowed us to share a sense of ownership throughout the building process. We were well informed of all costs and timeframes. They offered a range of modern and stylish inclusions and gave us the option to upgrade with no hidden costs. Would highly recommend Hotondo Homes to anyone interested in building a home!

+ Quality Homes, personalised service, modern finishes, cost effective - no hidden fees.

ocean grove

• 2 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Dec 2016

Substandard tradesmen

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2017

Plumbing in wrong places in the slab (e.g.toilet and shower plumbing in hallway), brickwork not to Aus Building Standards (should have been replaced but we agreed to partial replacement and cement rendering of the front), concrete floor in garage delaminating (after 12 months it has now been repaired and coated but this now seems to be coming off). There were many other smaller faults which were fixed before or after handover.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Geof, We're sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your Hotondo experience. We take this kind of feedback very seriously and would like to assist where we can. Could you please contact our C... read more »

When we were having the problems while building the house I contacted Hotondo Head Office and was told Hotondo have no control over their builders as they operate franchises - and I should take the... read more »

It seems the Hotondo PR man agrees that Hotondo have no control over their builders - not much point in referring all the people with complaints to the customer care dept I would think.

Build Location: Victoria

Hotondo Homes Oceans Grove - Customised Homes with a friendly personalised service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2012

Building for the first time we felt it was important to use a local builder. We wanted someone familiar with the area who could provide a personal service. This was the reasoning behind choosing [name removed] at Hotondo Homes in Ocean Grove. We have developed a great relationship with our consultant [name removed]. From our initial meeting, we have always found [name removed] to be pleasant and willing to help wherever needed, often doing more than what was required from him. He has answered every email and phone call and is always available to assist and address our enquiries.
The process to get where we are has been made easier having a smaller company to build through than using a bulk builder. Although we had the option to use one of the many Hotondo Home Designs we also had the option to customise our home to suit our needs . These options were not available with some of the bigger companies. Our block has a slope and while other companies wouldn't touch a sloping block we found Hotondo embraced the challenge and helped us to design a home that would utilise the slope of the land and also make the most of a beautiful view over the bay. These elements were as important to Hotondo as they were to us. They really listened to what we were trying to achieve. This is where Hotondo stood out from other builders for us. We spent a long time in the design phase getting our plans perfect and now we have commenced building.
We have been very happy with the construction phase so far of our new home with Hotondo and this has largely been due to the association we have had with our consultant. This friendly association has resulted in the process of building feel more personal that it may have been otherwise.... We are building next to our own home and are amazed at how unobtrusive the tradesmen have been. They arrive on site early and work hard all day. The only time we hear them is when they are returning the cups from the the coffee we make them in the mornings! Even then they bring them to the front door and are lovely to deal with.
We still like to visit display homes to get ideas and every time we walk out feeling all the better knowing we are building with our local builder and getting the personal service we are getting for a very reasonable price. We look forward to moving into our new home on completion and having [names removed] over to celebrate.
We highly recommend Hotondo Homes in Ocean Grove...

+ Personalised, customised build

• 13 helpful votes

Slow But Good Quality

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2012

I have been frustrated by the slowness of progress to lockup stage, but things seem to be progressing more swiftly now and the signs are good that the second half of the build will be completed in a much shorter time. Overall, the great strength of Hotondo Homes is their flexibility. We have changed the plans twice since construction commenced and on both occasions they were very accommodating to our requests and very quick and efficient in drawing up ammended plans for lodgement with council. If you are not in a hurry to build and move in, they are a good option to consider.

+ Very friendly staff. Professional design team. Fast, efficient communication. Very flexible. Reasonably priced. Good quality workmanship so far.

- They are definitely not as fast as standard project home builders. It has taken us 6 months to get up to lock up. But the quality of the workmanship seems quite good so far.

• 10 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria

Real world experince building with Hotondo

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 04, 2016

I would have liked to write a review with the heading "well done guys, love your work, thanks for building my home, stress free" like the other reviewers. Unfortunately, my experiences tell a different story, subsequently resulting in trust in the Hotondo brand being non existent.
How many times have you heard the phrase "the dog has eaten my homework"- welcome to the world dealing with Melton Hotondo. I think I have heard every single excuse in the builders handbook, I've even had personal assurances and 100% guarantees. I am 8 months into a 9 month contract and I'm still waiting for the 'lock up' to be completed. Enough said!
Be warned- tread warily.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Dear Test321, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with Hotondo Homes in Melton. We have contacted our Melton franchisee regarding your experience to dat... read more »

Hungry dog update. Thinking that a company which invests in marketing their brand could provide 'assistance & support', I took up Hotondo` offer and made contact. The 'dog has eaten my homework, a... read more »

Hotondo Homes Official

Dear Test321, We've reviewed your file in accordance with your comment. Our records show Customer Care has assisted in resolving the issue, you met with one of our managers and have been communica... read more »

Pakenham

• 7 comments
  • 9 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Hotondo sales team were fantastic but do not build with Hotondo (Cardinia Homes) Pakenham Vic

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2016

We found the Hotondo sales team terrific at the display home in our local area and we were happy to contract with them, but when we signed our contract and started to deal with the local builder in Pakenham was when our nightmare began. There were excuses for late starts like the drafting had to be outsourced to other companies, then the draftsman was on leave, then holidays were upon them blah blah, finally got our drawings and began excavation but the house build was too close to the easement which influenced the angle of repose, more delays and more costs more excuses for something that was foreseeable.
Then they took so long that the Colorbond colour was no longer available so we had to re-do the whole external colour scheme. Then even more time went by and they went through three different tile suppliers so we had to re-do our entire internal colour scheme again (three separate times). Some tradesmen took up to 5 attempts to fix their mistakes and dodgy workmanship. Missing paint work, then walls and skirts were so far out of whack it was embarrassing to look at and yet they said it was within standard and I had to argue to get it straightened. Bricks along the strip footing were laid on edge facing out and more than a few without mortar so that surface rain water would flow straight through the three holes in the bricks and the gaps without mortar and then directly under the house where my garage, workshop and poolroom were. This was industry standards by their reckoning and again I had to argue to have it sorted, what a joke these people are to have such disregard for the customer and their standards of workmanship. As far as I am concerned they could no manage simple chook raffle let alone $500000.00 home build. Trades were promised to turn up and weeks and sometimes months would go by without anyone striking a blow or finishing the job. The list of dramas, incompetence and dismal workmanship go on and on. They tried on more than one occasion to have large invoices paid before the jobs were completed, in fact they were not even started! Review your variations carefully and insist on checking quotes with your variations to show they only apply the correct builders margin.
Stay away from this Pakenham builder and get someone that is competent to build your dream home.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Brett, Thanks for getting in contact with Hotondo Homes. We take negative feedback very seriously and we're sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your experience. We'd like to discuss this... read more »

Hi Hotondo, there is not much else to do as we have the house now and I do not have a complaint against yourselves but it is exclusively for Cardinia Homes. I thank your wonderful sales team though and would recommend you again but not the builder.

Just had a call from the builder complaining that I complained, ironic really.

• 9 helpful votes

Build Location: Victoria

A great experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2012

In 2008, having only purchased pre-built houses we decided to build
on a block we owned. My wife designed the house & a detailed plan was
created with the services of a draftsman. This was submitted to 3 builders for a qotation. [names removed] of Hotondo Homes at Ocean Grove easily won the tender.
Any details we had not addressed was efficiently handled by the selection process for fitout by the builder.
As the building progressed any variations we wanted were detailed & quoted on,& acheived.
The house was completed within the promised time & we are exceptionally pleased with the finished product.
We had apprehensions about building based on friends descriptions of problems & stresses they had experienced having their house built.
Our experience was the very opposite, & put this down to the professional approach of our builder.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Hunter Valley

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Oct 2015

Terrible, terrible, terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2016

Very dissapointing experience. All potential customers should be aware that your contract is with the franchise builder for the area not Hotondo. Our builder, left the area mid way through our build and did not renew franchise. We contacted Hotondo and while they did try and contact the builder they had no effect and that was all they did, no other assitance was provided. Would recommend going with a large builder eg Mac Jones, Metricon etc. One name to be protected and contract directly with the company.

Fair Trading unable to assist - builder licence not renewed so cannot under take work now anyway.

90% of our defect items remain incomplete - despite many of these being included on 2 independent reports from [name removed].

Workman ship build quality - structure ok - finishing poor

Build management - very poor. Builder dis organised tried to blame sub contractors/others. Very poor communications and dishonest not/up front

Service and support - virtually non existent.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Geoff, We're sorry to hear about your experience. This builder is no longer part of Hotondo Homes and as the company has been deregistered, you can now make a claim against home warranty insura... read more »

We have spoken with hotondo on two separate occasions already regarding this and no help can be provided. We have already prepared and submitted our claim with home warranty insurance some time ago... read more »

1 of 10 pages