Filter By:

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: May 2018

Amazing new home

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2018

I cannot speak highly enough about Hotondo homes Wallan. All trades were amazing and the management and organisation of the build I cannot fault. Timeframe of build was extremely accurate. Quality of products used was 100%. My vision from the initial selections meeting has completely come to life and I couldn’t be happier. Thanks to Keegan and Kalen Marc from hotondo homes Wallan for doing a magnificent job.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Tara,
Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're very happy to hear the Marcs and their team have turned your dream into a reality! We hope you enjoy your new Hotondo Home for many years to come.
Kind regards,
Hotondo Homes

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: Apr 2018

Absolutely fantastic

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

As a First home buyer and building a new home it was real daunting too take the path of building, you hear all the risks and all the stories... However i would never question building with hotondo homes.

Alyssa at the Caloundra hotondo office is fantastic, no task too small or big, she puts all your worries to rest almost straight away, very organised from start too finish, great communication during the whole process which is very important. Great eye for detail with everything that's built. Great quality and fast build.

With a great team of tradies behind her she truly does make your house a home, not too mention a personal interior designer too help you make the right decision on how you would like your home too look.

Alyssa has made our home a place we will always enjoy and love, hotondo have exceeded our expectations and will be keeping them in mind for our next build

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Damian, Thank you for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. Alyssa and her team pride themselves on their quality service and we're glad to hear they have really exceeded your expectations. ... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: May 2018

Newcastle Hotondo Easy, and outstanding service. Spilt Level Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 02, 2018

Building with Hotondo Newcastle has been a trusting and strong relationship from the start. The Schultz family are all very approachable, extremely fair and very down to earth.

From the first contact with Hotondo Newcastle, we felt Hotondo Newcastle went over and above. Our first point of contact was Ashley, from the first meeting with him we knew we would be building through Hotondo Newcastle. Ashley went over and above even driving out to our land in his own time to understand what type of home would suit our requirements and our land. This was very important for us, as our land has an unusual slope; this required us to build a Split Level home. We sat with Karren, who was very patient with us to get the design, flow and requirements right for our home and our family, we had many changes, over and over again we asked for amendments and it was no problem at all. We always felt we could ask for anything and it was no issue at all. Our design was a custom design.

The relationship with Hotondo, right from the start built a strong foundation. Showing us that Hotondo were willing to work with us and adapt to our needs and wants as the project went along. We got everything we wanted for the budget we had.

Scott was our supervisor, he communicated very well with us, remaining very open, honest and upfront during the entire build. It’s so important to have a Supervisor who communicates well during the build. The build progressed very well and so easy, Scott was happy to work with us during the build to make additional changes without charging us huge variation costs to do so. This showed us again that Hotondo Newcastle are there to help and meet our requirements.

We would not hesitate at all to contact Hotondo Newcastle for our next build or to recommend them to others.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Susan, Thank you for your fantastic review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your journey and are so happy to hear what a great experience you had with our Newcastle team. We'r... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Hotondo Homes Sunshine Coast

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2018

We are very happy with the quality of our property
The build was managed above our expectations, which made the experience not stressful & confident things were going to be done well
They went above & beyond to help us get into our house within 11 weeks & helped with any questions we had at any time
We lived interstate while building so they also made the experience less stressful since we had a lot going on with a huge move
I would highly recommend building with them

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Rachael, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We can't imagine how challenging it would be building while interstate so it's wonderful to hear Alyssa and her team really exceeded... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Outstanding Custom Home Builders

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2018

We would like to take this opportunity to thank Adam and his incredible team at Hotondo Homes South Nowra for there countless efforts, dedication, personal attention and care in developing all aspects of our custom build.
We had certain restrictions with our block, and with hotondo we were able to custom our design for our specific block.The communication between the hotondo team and us was unbelievable.We were kept in loop throughout the entire building process.
The workmanship, attention to detail was far and beyond .You truely brought our unique design vision to life and we can't thank you enough.We are often stopped by passers by complimenting and amazed by the design of our home.
We Dream, We Believe, We create, We Succeed- Thank you Adam ,Thank you Team!!!

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi DC, Thank you for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so glad Adam and his team were able to accommodate to your needs and have well and truly exceeded your expectations! We're happy... read more »

Shelly Beach, Qld

• 1 review
  • 1 answer

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: May 2017

Terrific builder and excellent service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2018

"We have found the whole experience building with Hotondo Homes in Caloundra an enjoyable one. The team at Hotondo Home Sunshine Coast South have provided us with a beautifully finished quality home. From the designing process to the actual build, our builder Alyssa was in regular contact, meeting us on many occasions on site as our new home was being built. This allowed us to be kept up to date with the process as we approached the finish date. Hotondo Homes use very good quality fittings and their assistance in choosing the colour scheme etc. has made our home even more enjoyable to live in. I couldn’t recommend Hotondo Homes Sunshine Coast South more highly. So pleased we chose to build with them."

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Shelly, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so glad to hear you had such a wonderful experience with Alyssa and her team. Thank you for your great recommendation and we ho... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Dec 2017

Great experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2018

We built our first home with Hotondo Torquay (PJ Scott builders) in 2017.

Overall, the experience was a really positive one with the end result being a beautiful home with great workmanship. Peter was able to modify an existing floor plan to suit our vision perfectly, and took the time to design a custom facade that was exactly what we were after. The selections team were friendly and helpful, and we were impressed with their flexibility around meeting times. We would like to make particular mention of our building supervisor Grant who was OUTSTANDING throughout the entire process. His excellent communication and attention to detail made everything so stress-free, and we really felt as if he had our best interests at heart the whole way along.

A few areas for improvement would be to have greater clarity in the pricing, particularly when making building design modifications and chopping and changing between selection options. We probably made this process fairly difficult with the amount of changes we asked for, but still felt a little confused at times with how pricing was worked out. This is not a criticism of anyone in particular, but possibly the processes in place. There were also a few fairly average products that could be taken off the selections list which we have already raised.

A big thank-you to the team at Hotondo Torquay - we love our new home and have already recommended you to our friends.

Cheers, Ryan & Caitlin

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Ryan and Caitlin, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes! We really appreciate you sharing your experience and we're thrilled to hear you were so happy with the team from Torquay. W... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Jun 2016

Excellent builder, great service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 28, 2018

The team at Hotondo Bathurst were excellent. They were upfront and honest from the beginning about all aspects of our build, and made building our first home a really enjoyable experience. They answered any questions we had and dealt with any issues, no matter how small efficiently. The quality and workmanship of our house exceeded all our expectations and we will definitely build with them again in the future.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi M Kuchin, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so happy to hear your first home building experience was so wonderful. Thank you for recommending the Bathurst team and we ho... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Jan 2018

Excellent Team

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2018

We decided to build with Hotondo homes Nowra and this is our 4th property we have built and all with different builders. From the first meeting and through the whole build the professionalism and service has been outstanding. We found this project with Hotondo a breeze, my husband and I are both very busy and the communication and the ease that we found with dealing with Hotondo was amazing, we were kept up to date via e-mail and ph calls and all our requests were handled with ease. The quality and finish is of a very high standard and we are both very impressed from the sales team in the show home, main office and the trades guys were all excellent all keeping sight of our goals and our dream home.
Well done Adam and team loved the journey

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Jethro, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. It's great to hear you had such a wonderful experience with the Nowra team. Adam and his team really pride themselves on their custom... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Oct 2017

Can't stress how much we love this house

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

We built with Hortondo Torquay ( PJ Scott builders), after going through all the display homes and realising that nothing fit our needs and no one was interested in customising enough to accommodate us. We obviously check the reviews for PJ scott and found that they provide outstanding results and customer service, so we decided to build with them. During the build we lived an hour away, but received updates and photos often, they finished ahead of time and the quality was 5 stars. We got the exact build we wanted, right down to the kitchen sink that we we're very picky on and surveillance system that we provided and we were helped by the designer the whole time to stay on budget. There were only minor defects, that Hortondo picked up before we did an addressed promptly and 5 months in, everyday one of us mentions how much we love this house. After seeing some of the neighbours homes and getting feedback on their experiences, I am so glad we built with these guys.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Constie, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so glad to hear you had such a great experience with Peter, Kerri and the team. It's great to hear the were so accommodating t... read more »

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Feb 2018

Beautiful Quality Home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2018

The workmanship was outstanding, extremely good quality products were used , the supervisor held great communication about what was happening or what was going to happen the build was excellent it flowed from onetrade to the next, any issues were rectified immediately.
The customer support was there from beginning to end, nothing was a problem
The finished product was perfect.
I would certainly recommend Hotondo MacArthur these people are amazing.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Di, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so pleased to hear you had such a great experience with our Macarthur team. Thank you for your great recommendation. We hope you lo... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Nov 2017

Happy customer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 27, 2018

The workmanship completed on our home was second to none. Everything has been finished beautifully and we are so happy with our Hotondo home. The building process for us was effortless when building our home as the Hotondo home took care of everything or any little request we had. The team at Hotondo really care about the quality of their homes and continue to keep in contact with us to make sure everything is spot on. Thanks Hotondo.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Kirby, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're glad to hear you were so happy with your experience with our team in Ararat. It's great to see the process was so smooth for yo... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Aug 2017

Cannot fault them!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2018

Our decision to build with Hotondo Homes Ararat turned out to be the best decision we could make with the whole team becoming like family working along side us to achieve the off-grid dream home we had been planning for months prior. They helped to get our scribbled sketches into a floorplan we were thrilled with. Every step of the build was explained, with constant and open communication we were never left wondering if we would get what we ordered, the team were eager to impress us and there were virtually no hiccups along the way considering we went an with off-grid electrical system. The quality of work from all the tradesmen was high class. Choosing colours, cabinetry, tiles, paint and accessories etc, was made easy and fun, so much that we have decided to have Hotondo Homes Ararat build our second dwelling, an accommodation retreat at the back of our property. Excellent customer service and end result!! Very happy :)

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Ragan, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so glad to hear you were so happy with your experience. Russell and Jenny have always been advocates for energy efficiency so it... read more »

Hamlyn Terrace, New South Wales

• 1 comment
  • 3 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Incredible experience with amazing builders

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 16, 2018

I have just completed building my modified Birchgrove 222 with Hotondo Homes Central
Coast.

My journey with Hotondo Homes Central Coast began back on 13th March 2017. When I went to the Toukley office to meet with Jon & Lyndsey, I had never heard of Hotondo Homes before. However, as I had built before I felt confident I knew enough about the building process to know if they knew their stuff, or not. I was pleasantly surprised to be met by a lovely, young, knowledgeable couple whose sole interest was to build incredible homes for the people of the Central Coast. At the time I met with them I was still looking for a block of land, one week later I found my block of land, had my offer accepted & thought I would shop around with other builders before making my final decision.

Within a couple of days I was back in contact with Lyndsey & had organised to come back to the office for a chat to discuss the block I had purchased. This block was not simple, it had a huge mound of dirt sitting atop (750 tonnes to be exact) & it was on a slope (later to be fondly known as “Mt. Rodrick”). Two other builders had already told me that they would not build on it, they didn’t even send a surveyor out, it was just a flat - no. I began to worry that my block, which I’d started to fall in love with, was a dud.

As I sat in the office, stressing, Lyndsey said to me it would be ok, she & Jon would go & drive by the land & take a look after they finished work. They were true to their word, that afternoon they went out, took photos & discussed what they could do to make it work. The following day I received a phone call from Jon, expecting that would be the end of our professional relationship, they were going to say “no” to building on it as well. Then I was greeted by this chipper, friendly voice saying “of course we can build on it”. To be honest I can’t remember the rest of the conversation because I was so elated! This is the moment I knew Hotondo Homes was a name I was never going to forget.

The next stage of my journey with Hotondo Homes was picking a floor plan. I did struggle with this as I couldn’t quite find a design that I loved. When I came across the Birchgrove 222 I liked it, but I needed to make some changes to it to have it be exactly what I wanted. It was then that I asked to make changes, expecting it to be a very difficult task & one that would be met with frustration. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear, once again, that it was completely fine to make changes. I removed a room, added two walk-in robes, deleted some walls for a very open plan living space & made the home split level.

I then went onto the fun task of picking my façade. I knew what I wanted, it wasn’t a typical design but one that I was very specific on. I was pleased to be working with such a professional & knowledgeable draftsman who must have spent hours & hours designing & re-designing this façade to get it to be exactly what I’d requested. I am pleased to say that the front of my home is exactly what I wanted.

Over the following months I built relationships with Lyndsey, Jon, Emma, Laura, Sam,
Brendon & Mitch & began to see them like an extended part of my family! Nothing was ever too hard, or too mundane, they always had time for me & made me feel like I was part of the Hotondo Homes Central Coast family.

Every day, since 11th August 2017 I have been to my block of land/house at least twice a day. It became a bit of a running joke, to be honest, all the trades knew my car & would nod or wave to me as I drove up to the house to see the progress. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t do this because I don’t trust my builders, quite the opposite, I wanted to be able to appreciate the time & effort they had put into my home & wanted to be able to absorb every stage.

Four weeks out from Christmas I met with Jon at the site & we discussed whether or not we would be in before Santa arrived. He told me they’d do everything they could to get us in, but with seven days to go before holiday shut-down it became evident that our hopes were not going to become a reality. I was at work when Jon phoned me to say that it wasn’t looking good. I completely understood, as I had built before I’d already realised we were going to fall short. But, he was so incredibly disappointed for us. The following day I attend the VIP Christmas Party at the office & I kept getting apologies from all the staff that the house wouldn’t be done by Christmas. If this isn’t a team that genuinely cares about their clients, I don’t know what is!

Now, at the end of our build, it’s very bittersweet. I have loved every moment of this process — the good & the challenging. It does make me sad to think that I won’t be seeing & speaking with the team on a regular basis, they have honestly been the most wonderful group of people to work with. I will miss them.

I’m sure you receive lots of feedback from their clients, but I can assure you, no one is more grateful than me. I proudly support & spruik this business & I’ll continue to refer as many people as possible to Jon & Lyndsey.

Elleven months later I can assure you, I know who Hotondo Homes are; I’m part of the family!

“It’s my Hotondo Home!”

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Fiona, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so pleased to see our Central Coast team exceeded your expectations. It comes as no surprise that they went above and beyond to ... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: Victoria Construction End Date: Jun 2017

Exceptional house from a professional team

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2018

From the minute we walked in to the office to handover, we not only received our dream home but we were able to enjoy the building process thanks to such a professional team at Hotondo Torquay. The whole process was enjoyable from the beginning, Peter designed a custom house that exceeded our expectations, he was happy to listen to our ideas but also use his experience to suggest other options that resulted in cleverly utilizing the space we had to work with. Darren, our foreman and his team executed the build to perfectly. Darren was also happy to suggest changes to the build to make the house the best it could be, any hiccups were dealt with efficiently and nothing was ever a problem.The trades used in the build were always of a very high standard.
We were made to feel very welcome at the office and the team there were very helpful and professional in assisting us making the right decisions during the whole process.
The final product is an exceptional home and the quality of the workmanship is second to none. We would be happy to recommend Hotondo Torquay to anyone and will definitely build with them again in the future.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Kirsty, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. It's great to hear you had such a good experience with the team and we're glad to hear they made you feel welcome and comfortable thr... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 answer
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Oct 2017

We are so grateful everyday that we choose Hotondo!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 04, 2018

Choosing Hotondo homes Port Macquarie was the best decision my partner and I made throughout the building process of our new home. I would strongly urge anyone who is thinking of building or renovating.
From the get go, Fiona was warm, friendly and helpful. Her communication skills throughout the process was outstanding and we never once felt uninformed or unprepared for any part of the building process.
Fiona made us feel like her number one priority and customer throughout the whole process, any question or issue brought up throughout the building duration was resolved quickly and Fiona was always readily available to us.
Their building knowledge and suggestions were outstanding.
Every inspection time was flexible to our needs and I could write a 10 page list on how well kept/ clean and neat the construction site was every time we arrived.

Andrew our site manager was always there early to our inspections, friendly and informative on every occasion. He would make sure we were aware of every aspect of our build and had great attention to detail.

The building itself cannot be faulted and the traders they use are top quality. From the moment the frame was up to the completed end product the house was secure, neat and a perfectionists dream. Nothing on our house was crooked, overlapping or loose. Every trade well protected their works at every stage to prevent any damage for the next trade that was applied to the property

Fiona and her team made the handover process and absolute dream going above and beyond with making sure we got into our home as soon as we could and understanding our urgency to be in our new home.
The house has been so beautifully cleaned for our move in and the yard was well cleared and organised for us.

They took care of all required council paper work and made sure we were well informed of any potential unexpected costs or fees coming from the council. Nothing came as a surprise to us. Even post- handover process has been such a wonderful process when dealing with Fiona. She has been proactive in making sure all our concerns are sorted in a timely manner and prioritised.

I would also like to point out that Port Macquarie Hotondo really do so much more then any other building companies we have come across in the area. Little things like moving our dirt evenly around after the foundations were made, pilling all the bricks together neatly in the yard, cleaning up their site well, grassing our driveway and many more, all these things really went a long long way.

Thankyou Hotondo Port Macquarie, thankyou for our beautifully built home, thankyou for making what should be a stressful process completely stressless, thankyou for your customer service and your attention to detail. We are two very grateful, loyal and happy customers because of you.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Caitt, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so happy to hear how thrilled you were with your experience. Thank you for your fantastic recommendation and we hope you love li... read more »

Verified Customer Build Location: New South Wales Construction End Date: Nov 2017

What an experience!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2018

This was my second time building with Adam Sturt from Hotondo Southcoast and it was better than before! After building a friendship during my first home with Adam and his team, building my second Hotondo home was even better. Their knowledge of building designs and modern styles are fantastic and makes it easy to create your dream home. I met with several other local builders and by far, can recommend Adam Sturt from Hotondo Southcoast! A big thanks to Adam and his team.

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Andrew, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so glad you chose to build with the South Coast team again and are pleased to hear you had an even better experience! Thank you... read more »

Home Perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2018

We would like to thank Adam and everyone at Hotondo South coast for helping us build our home for our family! They made the whole building process stress-free and enjoyable for us. Right from meeting Adam for the first time to discuss our options, the colour selections with Kayla, to organisation of trades with Dan, everything was handled extremely professionally. Whilst there were a few hiccups along the way, every one of them was addressed and quickly rectified. During the last few weeks we were under a time pressure and they really pulled out all the cards to make sure that everything was ready for us, and it was perfect! We could not recommend them highly enough to anyone wanting to build on the south coast. It was a very memorable experience for us, building our first home!

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Danielle, Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes and congratulations on building your first home! We're thrilled to hear Adam and the team exceeded your expectations and we thank yo... read more »

Hotondo Homes South Coast -AMAZING

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2018

From start to finish, Hotondo South coast went over and above to help us. They continued to stay in contact with us throughout the paperwork side of things as well as keeping us updated during the building process. Adam and his team were always so helpful in every way possible.
Today we were handed the keys to our duplex and like promised, the quality of the build was amazing! We would definitely recommend Hotondo Southcoast to anyone looking to build their dream home or even an investment property. We cannot wait to build with them once again next year

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Kristie,
Thanks for taking the time to review Hotondo Homes. We're so glad to hear your experience with the Nowra team was so exceptional and we thank you for your fantastic recommendation!
Kind regards,
Hotondo Homes

BRISBANE

• 1 comment
  • 5 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer Build Location: Queensland Construction End Date: Aug 2017

A disappointing and frustrating building ex perience

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2018

NB: the comments below are specific to Hotondo Homes Sunshine Coast (Matira Dev.) and should not be generalised to other Hotondo Home franchise holders. They have been crafted in good faith to enable prospective clients to perform their own due diligence in relation to the construction of their new home.

How was the workmanship and build quality of your property?
• Mixed, some parts were excellent such as most of the painting, tiling, flooring and carpentry.
• Other aspects were poor such as an uneven floor resulting in crooked window/sliding door, gaps under door (where there should be none), blocked sink, crooked and chipped tiles. These 'defects' along with the poor presentation at handover, gave an otherwise good job a sloppy, un-professional feel. This also fueled anxieties about what other aspects of the build might not have been done properly (for which we might become liable) or nasty surprises that might greet us at a later date i.e. when selling the house!
• Design decisions were difficult due to the lack of transparency around pricing/tendering process (design decisions are financial decisions and visa versa). Initial design/specification session was chaotic and disorganised leading to issues later on in the project as per below (see comment below re: kitchen cabinets).
• Design decisions were reinterpreted or misinterpreted due to lack of process around these. E.g. kitchen cabinets finished in black instead of white because our preferences had not been properly documented.
• Internal steps are unsafe despite being built to code and will have to be replaced/revised by ourselves because the contractor says “they are to code”.
• Have spent 100s $ post-build re-configuring site to ensure that when it rained, water flowed away from house rather than toward it as per care instructions for waffle-pad constructions.

How well managed was your build?
• The build ran over time by 2 months.
• Above quality issues reflect poor project oversight. Never sure who had oversight? The contractor or Site Manager?
• Our project was put on the back-burner while the contractor focused attention on the new show home in Pelican Waters - questionable task prioritisation and time management?
• Communication (esp. by way of email) deteriorated as build progressed - become more confused and disrupted e.g. contractor spent most of time on mobile phone during site visits rather than discussing the build with us the clients who had driven two hours to attend the meeting.
• Site visits were poorly planned and unfocused (as per above) e.g. not structured purposefully as an opportunity authenticate of stage completions prior to payment and discuss outstanding construction issues.
• Poor documentation of variations and inattentiveness lead to errors.
• Deceptive, sloppy paper work/invoicing/tendering practices. E.g. Initially, supplier quotes and contractor’s mark-up were seldom included in final quotes - were often well-above the market price e.g $11k for a driveway which we had re-quoted and installed for $5k. Correct invoicing and quoting provided eventually but only after these were actively sought by us. Not billed for some items (after we asked to see the invoice), were incorrectly billed or not refunded for others e.g. cavity slider and door payed for but not included in final build.
• Contractor adopted an adversarial approach during times of conflict as per below.
• Completion and handover was mismanaged and became adversarial due time over-run and contractors unwillingness to commit to completion date (while still demanding final payment). Forced to seek advice from QBCC and requested that Hotondo head office intervene to enable us to take possession of an (incomplete) build due to our having to move out of existing home (despite having organised 90 day settlement to accommodate time over-run . NB: Hotondo head office were very professional but ultimately sided with the builder saying that people sometimes take possession then default on the final payment. Although sympathetic to this scenario - we felt a bit insulted by the implication that we were being cast as one of 'those people' esp. when it was the contractor who had failed repeatedly to meet their obligations and in accordance with Queensland's Code of Ethics for the Building and Construction Industry (2000).

How was customer service and support?
• Contractor appeared unaware of obligations under the terms of Queensland's Code of Ethics for the Building and Construction Industry (2000) which emphasises the importance of ‘trust’, ‘cooperation’, ‘equity’ and ‘honesty’.
• Started out good but deteriorated as build progressed consistent with a business model that privileges 'sales' over 'service'.
• Notable Imbalance between ‘sales and service’, ‘strategy and operations’ in favour of sales and strategy. E.g. construction of the show home was bumped ahead of ours, which was already underway and paid for, Hence, the show home, although started after ours was completed sooner and completed too a much higher standard.
• Trust in the relationship was compromised by the contractor telling mis-truths, sloppy business practices and over-quoting (? to re-coup losses associated with mistakes made during the build .g. wrong frames ordered, damage to termite barrier, wrong window installed). Trust was completely destroyed when the contractor went behind our backs to contact our mortgage broker seeking information about our financial situation after we refused to pay for unfinished work (on the recommendation of the QBCC and HIA contract). Up until that time, we had always paid promptly except for work that had not been done.
• As above - aggressive in pursuing payment for incomplete work.
• Seemed inadequately informed of some common building products e.g termite protection, the terms of HIA contract and National Construction Code (2006) relevant to the build e.g. the need to provide variation orders, correct tendering processes, retaining walls and storm water management, respectively.
• Because of the domineering stance taken by the builder on occasion, we felt at times, that it was not our home but someone else that we had funded!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Hotondo Homes Official

Hi Carole34, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We take this kind of feedback very seriously and are concerned with your review. The Sunshine Coast team are one of our award-w... read more »

It is one year on, so thought the PR readers might like to know what our post- sale experiences have been like esp in light of the comments above. But first, some facts to address the factoids prom... read more »

2 of 10 pages