Review rating:

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jan 2015

Amazing Builders

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2017

From the word go Doug wasn't interested in if we built through him or not, he was only interesting in helping out as best as possible. It was because of this attitude and help that we chose to build though HALD and I'm glad we did!

I ended up building one of the biggest houses that HALD had taken on at the point in time. Doug was more than happy to let me use my own design I created and all the changes that went with it. The build size ended up being close to 42m2. I created a dual living house that was separated by a triple garage. It included 2 kitchens. Doug was extremely knowledgeable with the details of how to design it as a single, joint house so it met all council criteria.
The workmanship and build quality was amazing, I can barely fault anything inside or outside the house and that is extremely rare, especially with a house this size and detail.

Doug and HALD were more than accommodating with all the extras we decided to include along the way and during the build. Doug was happy for us to redo our entire lighting and electrical plans and also for us to use our own telstra employee to do all our data and antenna points throughout the house. I ended up putting about 60 data points and 20+ antenna points in the house. We also ended up supplying all our own LED lights aswell as the fans we desired. We also ran all our own HDMI cables and speaker wires in the media/lounge rooms for wall mounted TVs and surround sound speakers.

There were complications my partner and myself ran into with the house we were renting and the owners selling it and wanting us out before the build time allocated for building our house. Doug and all his crew helped us to the best of their abilities and managed to get our house finished in the time we had remaining. This also required his workers to work during the Christmas period to get this done.
I highly recommend Doug and HALD to everybody who reads this review and without a doubt will always choose to build with HALD if the opportunity arises again.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2016

Amazing Experience!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2017

We had heard all the stories about how the building experience is such a drama. Well our experience was AMAZING.
We were recommended to use HALD by a close friend who had used them when their sister had recommended them after using them. They both said the same thing. Nothing was a drama.
And this was so true.
We needed a house that had a completely separate living area for my elderly mum. She needed to have her own space and be able to make a simple meal but have her main meal with us.
After we came up with our plan HALD came up with a much better plan that is working beautifully.
The whole process with HALD from the first email right thru to after handover where a couple of things needed a little tweak was not a problem.
All the tradespeople were great and gave some wonderful suggestions which have been fabulous.
We can’t recommend HALD highly enough. They made a huge emotional and financial decision so much easier.
Thank you to everyone at HALD. Doug and Glen - you guys are the best.

Northern Gold Coast

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2015

5 Star Builder - All good!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 02, 2017

We had great experience with H.A.L.D team! All process was very smooth and no hidden cost from first to last.
1. Consulting- We wanted have our own design of the House. I sent at least 100+ email and always replied. (English is my second language but it was ok. H.A.L.D knew what customer wanted such a communication with Customer and service.) 2. Building- All trade crew was very friendly and tidy. (H.A.L.D built 45sqm Two story house for us with no worries. ^^) 3. Hand over- We got the key on date as H.A.L.D planned. We could manage moving in and out date easily. (It was important the building finish and hand over the key on time as we planned because we moved from overseas and had few containers) 4. After handover- There were minor issues but Manager of H.A.L.D solved the issues as fast as he can. Me and my family very appreciated to House and Land Design team. We have been living 2years now and feel very comfort and confident.

Palm Beach

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Happy customers

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2017

We first contacted HALD around 2012 through a google search and subsequently these reviews.
After going through several months of design planning and lots of questions we were let down by our bank and had to hold off with the build. Doug at HALD was completely understanding throughout this.

3 years down the track and we contacted HALD again and started from where we left off.
As of october 2016 we've ended up with a brilliant house with a smooth building experience to boot. As other reviewers have mentioned, nothing was ever a problem and everyone at HALD, right down to the tv aerial installer were really easy to deal with and very professional.

A couple of the main reasons we chose to go with HALD was price, their willingness to take on a section that was narrow and sloping, and most importantly, how (Doug) dealt with our never ending questions and requests.
Both Doug and Glen go out of their ways to give you time out of their day and offer honest advice on decisions about the build.
We never felt like we were being pushed into upgrading or going for more expensive options, if anything the opposite.

We have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone looking to build, especially if you have a block that is not your standard flat, square block.
Thanks to everyone at House and Land Design!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2016

GREAT BUILD, GREAT PEOPLE, GREAT HOME

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

Our family has just built again with House and Land Design. We have been thrilled with the whole experience. From consultancy, through to handover, House and Land Design have been fantastic. There were very few problems, any of which were resolved happily and immediately. The professionalism of our Construction Manager Glenn Piggins was outstanding. So polite and obliging, only too happy to offer the best opinion and advice. All trades were of the highest quality. The ongoing customer servicer also is very efficient. All in al - great planning, met our budget and excellent finish. Our home is quite large and not a simple design, but was adapted from one of House and Land Design's basic designs, and then adapted to our needs and budget.
The whole family are thrilled with the result, and we cannot recommend House and Land Design highly enough.

David and Diane Roberts

Gold Coast

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Biggera Bliss :-)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2016

I spent a good 12-24 months reviewing builders before I approached anyone, and came across House and Land Design, they really stuck out from the crowd with distinct difference in there reviews, One of the only companies I came across that actually had people coming back to build there 2nd and 3rd houses with the same company.
I approached House and land design and we spent some time detailing a house that would accommodate for all my needs. And found there approach to be very straight forward, extremely detailed and most of all practical to my needs. I have recently had 5 rounds of spinal surgery and face the prospect of being in a wheel chair at some point, HALD have been able to pre design a lot of features into the house to accommodate my needs now and well into the future. From the start of design it wasn't long before a high level of trust was developed between myself and the sales team, and as time drew on I felt extremely confident with my choice of companies.
I could not recommend this team high enough. Five star all the way ....

The build quality of my house is second to none, I have a few friends that are tradies and they have all stopped out the front to commented that the brick work on my house is the best they have ever seen, very sharp.

And I must say I could not have had a better site supervisor he was always at hand when needed and at one point he stepped above and beyond his duties to ensure the house was perfect for me and no delay where encountered.

The quality and professionalism of all contractors was impressive, and the fact that the guys know each other and are willing to help and assist each other during construction was a blessing.

Overall I encountered only one days delay with a sick tradie due to the flu, Unheard of...That was it, Due to the great pre planning of House and Land Design there was no delays with materials or mistakes with plans, Nothing, It ran as smooth as Swiss watch start to hand over date.. :-) I felt very at ease knowing why house was in great hands, The team really treated it with a lot of pride as it was there own house. Extremely impressed

And to top it all off they finished my house before schedule :-) impressive

If I ever had to build a house again I would not hesitate to call House and Land Design at the drop of a hat. Again I could not recommend this company highly enough, Great product, great service and after through life support is second to none, they certainly take great care and have great pride in there product. < Very trustworthy people. :-) best value for money I have ever spent :-) I am very proud of my new house in Biggera Waters QLD, nicest looking house in the street , Lol, I've now named it Biggera Bliss

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2015

A Dream Build!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2016

We engaged House and Land Design to build a 2 storey split level home in 2014/2015. We had a sloping block so needed something that best suited our land and our building envelope. We were given a basic layout then we completely redesigned the home inside and out. We were guided along the way and nothing was ever a problem. And we are absolutely in love with our new home. We could not have asked for an easier, hassle free build with a great team working behind the scenes to ensure everything ran smoothly. We were always kept informed at what stage our build was at, the lines of communication were always kept open. So a huge thank you to Glen and Doug for a dream build. We highly recommend the team at House and Land Design!!

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Couldn't be happier with our new home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2016

From start to finish we received honest open communication, no hidden costs or extras. Friendly staff who follow through on their promises. Delivered in the time frames given, we were happy at every stage.
We love our new split level home in Elanora, it is beautiful, we would use House Land and Design again in the future. We thoroughly recommend HALD.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne (Victoria)

Verified Customer

Builders who take pride in what they build!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2015

House and Land built a 2-storey investment property for us at Pacific Pines in 2006. We chose them as we'd bought an incredibly steep block and heard that they could build a home on it without any fuss. Their knowledge and customer service is second to none and we felt confident with them all along. You don't just deal with a salesperson - you talk with the builder. There were no dramas throughout the build and we had the home tenanted since it was completed. Recently our Property Manager reported that there may be a structural issue with the home as floor tiles kept lifting and cracking (first reported in 2011). Even though the home was out of its warranty period, Doug took ownership of the issue and provided reassurance that they would sort out the problem. We are so grateful to House and Land for being such an honorable builder and standing behind the great value for money homes that they build. We know from personal experience that this is not the same with all builders. We thoroughly recommend House and and Land to you!

HALD 5 Star Service all the way

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2015

We had House and Land Design build us an Endeavour 32 on our sloping block on the Gold Coast.

We had many changes to the original design to make it work on our block of land, the way it was facing and the needs of our family. HALD were extremely patient in the process and at no time pressured us to go one way or the other, they just wanted to make sure the design was what we wanted.

During the build, Glen and the boys were all wonderful in responding to our endless questions and requests for further information. All the tradesmen were very approachable and willing to assist in any way. Glen Piggins (Building Manager) went above and beyond in his capacity to ensure that the build went seamlessly, keeping the lines of communication open, always turning up to site meetings when promised and doing everything he could to make sure our home was as perfect as promised.

Would recommend HALD to anyone wanting to build a new home.

Gold Coast

Verified Customer

Building our first home from the other side of the country without breaking a sweat.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2015

My wife and I decided it was time to start building our dream home as we slog it out in the middle of nowhere in WA. We are both originally from the Gold Coast and have heard countless reports on dodgy builders that pop up out of nowhere after changing their name from the last failed attempt at making it big on the glitter strip. We did a heap of research on HALD after finding them on a web search. The main reason we were drawn to HALD was that they specialised in sloping blocks - our block slopes down from the street.

I spoke to friends that were in the trade, we read every review on this web site, we did a search on the BSA web site - HALD looked flawless. We also spoke to our friends about building on a sloping block - they all said to make sure that you go with a specialised builder as not everyone can deal with sloping blocks. Fly-by-night sub contractors using back-backers for tradesman don't have the nouse to do things the right way in these sort of situations. We were happy to hear that HALD use the same tradesman on every build.

We took the plunge and decided to go with HALD - they were the only builder we spoke to that returned our calls and emails, were friendly from the get-go, and understood that being 5000km away was going to be a problem at times. Doug, John, Glen and Bud were always extremely helpful and supported us at every step of the journey. We designed most of the house ourselves (we drew pictures of what we wanted - HALD did the rest) - we had a 9 month wait for the land to register so the house went through quite a few different incarnations before things got started. The number of times we called Doug and said "you're going to hate us..." it was NEVER a problem.

We have just got the keys to our dream home and couldn't be happier - every person we've shown through the house has turned bright green, some you can tell start looking for faults and are always disappointed. Our bank requested a hand-over company to go through the house with a fine-tooth comb - some dust in corners, a couple of tiny drops of paint on tiles and that was it - the inspector said it was one of the best hand-overs he had ever seen. The attention to detail and workmanship is all outstanding, we upgraded a few fixtures from the standard inclusions and this was never a drama. We couldn't be happier.

I asked a heap of Tradie mates about HALD prior to signing up - "never heard of em" was the usual answer. Does anyone sit at the pub and tell their mates about a good company? You DEFINITELY tell them about the bad ones... The only gripe I heard from one guy was that they make you wear safety boots and you have to have an induction. BOO FRIGGIN HOO.

This review isn't lies, I haven't been paid to write it, and I have no affiliation with them at all. I had trouble believing that every review would get 5 stars so I read some reviews on other companies and services on this site - heaps of negatives. I'd rather deal with someone that uses word of mouth as advertising, instead of pumping thousands (from our pockets) on glossy brochures, arrogant salesman and misleading web sites.

I WILL be buying them a beer or 24 when I finally get back home.

Verified Customer

Great people and value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2015

HALD have been great all the way with our custom designed acreage home. From the first meeting until the last all the HALD staff and sub-contractors have been very approachable, friendly, honest and open about all our questions, enquires and requests. As with any build there were minor issues that occurred, but all were accepted and dealt with in a timely and friendly manner.

The design process was quite lengthy as we had a definite budget to work with which meant constant adjustments and changes on our part to ensure we got the best house we could buy for our money. HALD were very patient and offered excellent advice throughout.

We wanted more than the bigger companies were prepared to do for us but could not afford the costs of a private builder. HALD fitted nicely for us in terms of flexibility, personal attention, quality of build and cost.

The sales representatives were very helpful and responded quickly to our numerous emails and phone calls prior to the signing of the contract. Once the build commenced the site supervisor treated my wife and I with great respect and friendliness and he got back to us quickly with answers/information we asked for. All the HALD representatives and contractors were very friendly and happy to take and respond to any enquiry we had at any stage of the entire process.

We are very happy with the house HALD built for us. We would certainly recommend HALD to anyone.

Excellent Service Excellent Quality

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2015

We chose to build a modified Daintree 190 and we couldn't be happier having engaged HALD to build our new house in Upper Coomera, QLD!

From the moment I walked into their office and spoke to them I was highly impressed with the honesty and care shown in helping to pick the design that suited our needs. Throughout the months that followed we changed the floor plan many times and their patience shown was rather remarkable.

During the build phase HALD made it a pleasure as simple hurdles where overcome with their expert advice. Our foreman was fantastic, easily accessible and giving regular updates as to the progress of the construction. Their after-sales service has also been fantastic.

The quality of the our finished home is superb.

We heard about HALD by word of mouth from family and friends. We spoke to a few of the larger builders before visiting HALD and the difference in their honest, helpful approach was reassuring to us as first time builders as we didn't feel like we were taken on a ride from the outset.

I have no hesitation in recommending HALD to anyone looking for a builder of their new home. If we have an urge to build again we will be using them again. The whole process was very smooth without the stressful horror stories normally associated with building a home.

Thank you HALD, we absolutely love our new home.

Brisbane

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Excellent people & quality!!!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2015

House and Land Design has recently built my house in Northside of Brisbane. I found out about HALD from this website, so I thought I should write a review here. I spoke with one of the company owners before I purchased my land. I glad that I spoke to him first as he told me plenty of things to watch out for when buying a small lot in Brisbane. Every time I saw a block I liked I sent him the land details and he gave me his thoughts. English is not my first language so his patience and advice saw me look at 4 blocks before I made my final decision. This was even before we actually met and singed any contracts, but he always responded my questions right away. This is the one of the main reasons why I chose them. Because we did good research on the land it made the building part easier than I thought it would. As I have never built a house in Australia I had to learn all new terms and conditions applicable to my land. My final design was a custom plan designed exactly to my liking. The construction was without any trouble and the subbies and supervisor were very helpful. I am very happy that I have chosen them and it was right decision. I would also recommend this company for sure!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Customer

Terrific stress free experience from start to finish

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2015

We couldn't be happier that we chose HALD to build our new house . We chose HALD after reading the previous reviews on this site , and found that the experience was exactly as others had described . Right through the contract phase and the actual build the communication with the company was great - we were given regular updates on progress and had access to our own page on the internet where all the details and documents related to the build were kept .
The actual build itself went very smoothly ; we met many of the tradespeople and had input on the siting of the lights , powerpoints etc for example, and the final finish and quality was very high . As the site supervisor said they finish every house to the same standard as their showhouse, and this was actually the case here. I wouldn't hesitate to build with HALD again.

Great Quality, Exceptional Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2015

I was fortunate to have House and Land Design build my home and I would entrust them to build another one for me in a heartbeat.

Being a first-time home-owner I did my homework before choosing a builder and visited countless display homes. Ultimately, I found the house design I liked best online at HALD’s website.

From the time I first contacted HALD they did what they said they were going to do, when they said they were going to do it, for the price initially quoted. HALD listened to what I wanted and worked with me to achieve it. The supervisor, who stayed in frequent contact to keep me informed throughout the build, even gave me the impression that the construction of my home was as important to HALD as it was to me.

The building process went so smoothly, I thought I must have missed something and so I actually paid an independent building inspector to take a look just before practical completion. The inspector told me my home had been well built and that I had nothing to worry about.

That was back in 2009 and I still believe that choosing HALD was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

HALD really exceeded my expectations when I gave them a call in early 2015 after noticing a water stain on my ceiling upstairs. They took care of everything just as efficiently and professionally as they had built my home. HALD contacted Bristile Roofing and got them to come back and replace the roof ventilator. HALD even picked up the slack and re-painted the ceiling for me when Bristile Roofing didn’t.

I remain delighted with the exceptional service and great quality provided by HALD.

I take every opportunity to share the building experience that HALD provided for me and I readily recommend them to family, friends, colleagues and clients. When I am ready to build again, HALD will be my first call.

Verified Customer

Thank you for putting up with Clients like us!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2015

Having built once before, we wanted to learn from that experience and design our perfect home. Members of our family had built with House and Land Design, and recommended we contact them. Thus began a journey through four different House Designs - our own plans, adjusted HALD plans, and even one they drew up just for us! The HALD team were fabulous! They never rolled their eyes when we popped in to the Display home to ask questions - we never heard a sigh in their voice when they recognised us on the phone line - they responded promptly to our emails and provided us with as much detail for costings as they could..... (Thanks [name removed])

All in all, I'm sure they often thought that we were turning out to be more trouble than we were worth!!!!! They even went so far as to meet us on site to discuss genuine concerns when we settled on a design, which is now obvious, would have been really unsuitable for our sloping block (Thanks [name removed])

During the build, our Project Supervisor sent us weekly updates on the build, to advise what had been done, and what was due to be completed. This was great! As we aren't builders, we really appreciated being told what was happening. After taking so long to make a decision on our plan, we needed to know how long different stages would take, and to know that just because we didn't see big changes in the house, didn't mean things weren't being done!!!!

We would like to make special mention of ( [name removed]), our Project Supervisor - who we are sure must work 24 hours a day! He was excellent at getting on top of things, sorting out the issues, checking in on site , returning our calls and even helping us out when we requested another Supplier which ended up backfiring on us and delaying his own Deadlines - THANK YOU ( [name removed])! Since moving in, their Six Month Maintenance follow-up has been excellent - although our list of issues was really very small and nothing to do with the Quality of the home itself. We even received a follow-up email just today to check how things were going.
All in all, we are loving our new home!

Thank you to the HALD team - we were always raised to 'treat others how you would like to be treated' and we believe that this is the way you relate to your Clients. You recognise that a House is a persons biggest investment and always assured us that we needed to be happy with our decisions, no matter how many changes that meant!

Cheers to your continued success!
Jason and Rachel Clune

Rochedale

Good quality builder

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2015

Our house was completed by HALD mid-2014, and overall we are quite happy with the building process and the result.

When we were picking a builder we've met quite a few, and looked through various booklets and display houses. We had problems finding designs that we would like that would fit on our lot. Also with most builders we've found that what's on display is quite different from what you get for a price listed in a booklet.

After hearing about HALD we decided to give them a go, and never looked back. It was a smooth journey right from the start. They had the design that we liked, and only needed minor modifications to fit on our lot. Their display house had exact same finish as we would get, as opposed to those houses that you like until you find out it costs double the listed price. The salesmen [name removed] was very helpful with plan preparations and material selection.

Construction itself was smooth and the house was completed with no delays. We didn't have to do many variations to the contract after the start as [name removed] made sure that we cover everything we could possibly think of in it, but when we did it was not an issue. During construction our supervisor [name removed] was extremely helpful, and always willing to meet us on site to answer our questions.

Our house ended to up to be exactly what we wanted and for the price we were willing to pay. The finish was just as per display house, tradies were excellent. Didn't have any major issues after construction, and any minor issues we raised were resolved.

Will definitely build with HALD again, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Very efficient

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2015

Very efficient builder with quick turnaround time frames and quality work at a very reasonable price. Good communication and flexible builder with no issues in regards to making changes overall we were very happy with the final outcome and at a price and time frame which we were happy with would recommend this builder if you want a hassle free build with a feeling of a builder you can trust.

A Quality Builder

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 12, 2015

We have now been in our HALD home for more than a year at the Grange and this home is of exceptional Quality. From the initial design, to the site supervisor giving the neighbours his number if anything went wrong, to just how they picked up the phone if we had any questions at all stages of the building process, We have built 4 times prior and one with Cavalier Homes that went bust just before we went to HALD. Because of that experience we took much longer to do all the necessary due diligence before we chose HALD and Bud from HALD could not be more patient.

We chose their largest home, the Flinders 350 and made it larger still on a sloping block with tight access. We also chose large tiles, increased the height of the ceiling and built up (with 1.5 litres of solid concrete to account for slope) at the rear without doing a traditional cut and fill which many other builders wanted to mandate which would have lost our great views. All of this was done with no fuss. They also said they would build it in 6months to the date we signed all the variations and they were one week late though technically they weren't. They didn't claim the wet weather period they were entitled to, and even though we were fine not to claim the 1 week penalty, they insisted we took it. Tell me if your builder ever did that for you?

Were there any hiccups? Like all building program's there was the odd one, but take a photo or send an email, it was dealt with fast and professionally with an update provided (and we didn't even have to chase). One Subby didn't quite work out, and it was partially our fault for asking for extra work outside the contract but HALD sorted it out, even though they didn't have to. Defect period was a breeze and we invited the team for a BBQ to show our thanks, and they even gave us a house warming gift. From now on, we don't intend to use any other builder than HALD. When you find a good thing, you stick to it. The value for money also mean't we could put a lot more in better furnishings and fitouts.

Thanks guys, sorry we took so long to do a review (tried a few times but it's getting harder to do them on Product review). Don't change a thing and we'll see you soon for our next one.

1 of 2 pages