Filter By:

Melbourne

Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active X Engine Size: 1.8 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Very Good Car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

We were looking into a medium sized car and were tossing up between the I30 and a Cruze SRIV.
All i can say is i am glad i chose the I30. Its my wife's car she uses everyday for work and to run the kids around, its very comfortable, good on fuel and has plenty of space for a car this size.
It is also the family car as i have a work car and we have had no issues piling in all our stuff for family holidays.
One of the best things is all the storage pockets for the driver and passenger. I did have a small issue with the Apple car play but Hyundai fixed it straight away with no issues.
Would have no problems recommending this car to anyone.

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.8 Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Feb 2013

Very ordinary car

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

Bought the car for Mrs. who liked the fixed price servicing. Turns out we got duded with that, told it was 5-years, no mention of 40,000k so gave Hyundai the flick as far as servicing went. It's got 135,000k's and has made the weird wind up noise on start since day one. Nothing to see here according to Hyundai. Engine knocks when cold, gets better when hot. As a country car the brakes are excellent, pads and rotors still like new. Carpets, seats etc very poor quality, carpet shows wear even though its had mats since day 1. Radio works like Windoze, when it feels like it. Steering is vague to say the least, bloody awful electric system. Engine lost the new car pep very quickly, a bit sluggish now but can still hold highway speeds OK. Economy about 6L per 100 highway. Front end developed thump at 1500k but hasn't worsened. All springs have sagged a LOT. Going to drive it into the ground, resale is zilch with the low cost of the new models. Would NEVER buy another Hyundai and have had success convincing family and friends to look at other makes. I call it the mobile blind spot, but I guess all hatches are the same.

Camden NSW

Private message

Generation: 2017-2018 Body: Hatch Badge: SR Premium Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2018

2018 SR Premium PD2

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

On Tuesday 06 November 2018 night something in the front suspension dramatically failed whilst I was driving along.

It is a new 2018 - I30 SR Premium with 3000kms on it and
purchased on 02 October 2018.

There was no warning ⚠️. It just went bang!

The vehicle was towed to Hyundai as a result.

I have now been informed that the front passenger suspension has failed.

I am extremely concerned that the structural integrity of this vehicle is now questioned.

If I had been driving along the motorway at 110km the result could have been quite different.

For a new vehicle to have such a dramatic failure in the suspension is unacceptable.

All I30 owners should be made aware of the possible fault.

It could have caused an accident!

So you could be sitting on a ticking time bomb that could go off without warning like mine did.
Modify message

Emu Plains

• 1 review
Private message

Generation: FD (2007-2012) Body: Hatch Badge: SE Engine Size: 2.0 Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Nov 2009

Great car that went the distance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2018

I bought my 2009 i30 new. It is a 2L manual. I averaged around 500-600kms per week for the last 5 years and it is now just at around 220,000. I have maintained regular services, oil checks, tire pressure etc. so it has been well maintained over the last 10 years, but nothing crazy or out of the ordinary. It has been a great car and has taken me on epic road trips all along the east coast and inland Australia, as well as my heavy daily driving. It has been reliable and fairly low in surprise maintenance until it hit the 200,000 mark (which to me seems completely reasonable).

A couple of fixes needed along the way:
- It needed a new clutch at around the 6 year mark (maybe around 100,000). The mechanic told me it was a know fault for the clutch to wear quickly in these cars, but I am fully aware that I was never taught to drive a manual 'properly' and often rode the clutch around corners. A bad habit I have since fixed, so not sure if it can be put down to the car itself. No issues since.
- The mechanics in the drivers window needed to be replaced twice. Again, I was told this is a fault in the cars.
- At around 180,000 the steering wheel started to 'knock' and clunk. I have been told this is the steering column needing to be replaced and (again) this is an issue in the make of the car. Full disclosure, I haven't gotten it fixed yet, it does not appear to impact the steering, but I am aware that it is better to fix it than ignore it.

Once I hit the 200,000k mark the car just generally started to wear. Other than the cost to replace the steering column, the aircon has just gradually degraded and I have had two of the major pipes fixed, and now need a third under the dash replaced. These odds and ends repairs are just getting closer together and the cost is starting to cancel out the value of the car, so time for an upgrade. I would happily get the steering column fixed in the hope it would keep on rolling for another few years, but then the aircon went and a few smaller things happened, just indicating that these unexpected maintenance costs were going to just keep coming now that the car is so well used.

I only write the issues to share what could be expected if you purchase one of these down the track. Honestly though, up to the 180,000 mark this car was an utter dream and great value for money. I'm sad to be saying goodbye.

Purchased at: Hyundai Dealers

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active X Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Nov 2015

i30 is Ok..well sort of

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2018

Our i30 is three years old with around 170000ks on her now so she gets used a lot..The front seats used to be comfortable but now are just about unbearable Im looking at fitting a couple of after market seats or retro fitting higher level i30 seats from a wrecker,the stereo has just died and I was informed the stereo only has 3 years warranty......No five year warranty there. must be in the fine print...The clutch developed a vibration which was bad....New clutch fitted..3000 plus dollars...not covered by warranty either apparently clutches are treated like brake pads....though I've never had a clutch go bad so quick after all shes not a truck and doing hard work and the kilometers are all highway no stop start driving...and I'm to old to be a hoon.....The five year warranty is pie in the sky in my opinion same as the unlimited kilometers...after 120000 ks Hyundai treat their vehicles as high mileage machines...

• 5 answers
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active X Engine Size: 1.8 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Great car but still can be improved!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2018

I bought this car brand new in 2016. It’s great little car with lots of boot space and leg rooms. But not enough power and torque!! On the highway and up the hill with 3 adults on board this car really short of breath! And the road noise from the tyre is little annoying. Apart from this two issues, it’s a fantastic car.

Armidale

Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.8 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2018

This is a great, compact, and reliable car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2018

We purchased the 2014 model of this car a few weeks ago and so far love it. We mainly use it for town driving, but occasionally take longer jaunts out to the coast. It handles well on windy roads. It is pretty fuel efficient as well, although there are better (smaller) cars out there with better fuel efficiency. Overall, its comfortable and reliable.

Gold coast

Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active X Engine Size: 1.8 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Great car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

I love my i30, great price for a small car. I got my i30 in 2015 and have no problems. I use my car every day to commuting to work and for Leslie’s activities on the weekends. Cheap to run & comes with 5 year warranty and cap servicing. Would highly recommend the i30.

Generation: FD (2007-2012) Body: Hatch Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Diesel engine died at 61,000 k.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2018

74 y/old pensioner, use it around town. Pulled up at lights, and while waiting, heard a slight klunk, klunk from the motor. Went around the corner to my service place and asked the lads to check it out. Walked home. got phone call 5 hours later, called back and this is what I found. The slipper bearings at number 3 piston had collapsed. Five grand for a motor, (incl.) labour.. I WILL be in touch MR. HYUNDAI.

November 28th 2018 Update: Further on the diesel Hyundai i30 with the destroyed crankshaft, conrod, and bearings.

I wrote Hyundai in Sydney, they are SO arrogant to customers, they didn`t even answer my letter, just returned my camera card with a plain piece of paper. I wrote Slater & Gordon (allegedly the toughest in the business.) Same result as from Huyndai. Dunno where to go next. I`m telling Australia this to let you all know of the power of multi national cockheads, who come here, sell us their Korean KRAP, and treat us all like trash. Fred Harbas.

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2016

AMAZING FIRST CAR

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2018

I purchased this car as my first ever car. It is smooth, reliable and very durable for a first-time car owner. This car has never given me issues. The interior is next level for a 2013 model. I use this car everyday, and no issues have been presented thus far.

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: 2017-2018 Body: Hatch Badge: Active Engine Size: 2.0 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2018

What is the five year warranty about.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

Purchased a new 2018 Hyundai I30, not four months old yet. Washing it the other day I noticed a crack in the plastic surround in the handle of the tailgate. Rang the dealer where I purchased it, Lakes Hyundai, Qld. Was told that I would have to bring it in and have it looked at to see if it was covered by warranty. If it was, I would then have to wait until they got the part, then go back to have it fitted. Trip to Lakes Hyundai from my home one hour. Rang another Hyundai dealer, this one told me that the same plastic surround was cracking on a lot of 2018 I30'S and they might recall them for this. Not good all around, part should be purchased by the dealer straight away and fitted by them when they get it. When I told a person at Lakes Hyundai that I was an hour away from the dealership he told me that I should look for a closer dealer. What does the five year warranty really cover.

Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.0 Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Enjoying the vehicle

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

We purchased the car due to needing a runabout rather than rely on the family vehicle. We haven't been disappointed. Cheap on fuel, travels well. Suits the drops offs and pick ups along with taking the kids to their after school and weekend activities. Nothing but praise. Enjoy the experience.

• 3 comments
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Wagon Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Reliable and cheap to service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

I bought a diesel i30 wagon after a few friends recommended one. I wasn’t disappointed. I’ve now had it for 4 and a half years and done 100K km. The servicing is so cheap. The stock brakes even lasted until the 75K km service.
It was so great that my wife also bought thehatvhbaxk version the following year

Churchill

Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: SE Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Nov 2013

Nice and spacious

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2018

I bought my i30 in 2013. It has driven so smooth since and I havent really had any huge problems with the car itself except to make sure my seat is up the highest it will go as Im very small and have to really stretch my neck to check my blind spots. (I think I would have this issue in most cars). Its also super comfy. I drive about 35-45 minutes to work daily and never feel crammed climbing out the car.

Generation: FD (2007-2012) Body: Hatch Badge: SX Engine Size: 2.0 Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: May 2017

Amazing, affordable and fuel efficient car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

Have owned the car second hand for about 1.5yrs. So far the car has been incredible. Whilst being a cheaper car to purchase, the quality seems to be very good still. Previous Hyundai models and some later i20s struggled with poor manufacturing but this model has been fantastic.

Handles, visors seats etc all are very durable and have shown no signs of failing. Fuel efficiency is also great with about 7.5L/100kms

Purchased at: Gumtree

• 2 answers
Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Elite Engine Size: 1.8 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2012

Reliability is good. Ride quality and Infotainment system horrible

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2018

This would have been one of the first GD SERIES sold in Australia. After 73,000 kms the i30 Elite has been very reliable. Feels reasonably solid and only just replaced the battery after 6 years. Still on same brakes and tyres, so very low maintenance and goes easy on itself for long life. Wheel alignment has held perfect so far and only rotate the tyres at each service. The interior is very well made and looks like high quality materials have been used throughout.

Okay now to the things I hate. The ride quality is probably the worst I have ever driven. Too brittle over every road surface and jars on anything but the smoothest of roads. You really cringe when you know what you see ahead is going to bang on the suspension going on underneath. This would be the reason for me selling this car... it’s horrible. It’s not even though this ride gives any benefit to handling either because it doesn’t. The tyres are not even low profile. One can only image what the premium model ride handling would be like.

Tyre noise. Loud is the word when out in the country. Although this seems to be the case for most hatches with a Golf being the exception.

Infotainment system. It was fine till around the 5th year then lost touch accuracy. Took it back and they replaced with a new unit and put latest maps onboard. However now it takes about 5 mins from startup to be able to access the navigator. Feels like a windows 98 speed celeron processor start time. Yuk.

Wierd start up noises. After reading so many forums tried to many times to get addressed at dealer but always “no fault found”. If car is parked overnight you get a strange wind up sound after starting. If car is restarted after only 5-10mins the timing chain rattle is prominent until oil spreads through the engine.

Centre console creaking. In summer the silver trims on the centre console creak with the heat in the car.

Engine. The 1.8 is gutless. It’s probably the fault of the 6 speed auto which is calibrated to get to top gear as soon as possible for fuel economy. However this necessity to push harder to hold gears longer means urban fuel use is 9.4L per 100. Country use is fine at low 6’s however.

Would I buy another Hyundai? Probably not. I think Mazda, Honda and Toyota have better resolved ride handling, interior quality but not as well specified and priced as Hyundai. Not sure how much better the new PD is but will probably move to a new brand whenever I move on. Mind you, that is not happening any time soon.

• 1 answer
  • 31 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Wagon Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Under Power

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2018

i30 Petrol wagin is a very good make but I wish it had bit more juice under the bonnet. The engine of 1.6L is just a touch low in the grunt. I wish, it was 2.0L. Otherwise, it has great electronics and good fuel consumption at about 8.5L/100km in urban!
I wonder how Hyundai will compete with next version of Corolla!

Stanhope Gardens, NSW

Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Hatch Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.8 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Great value

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

Performance:
- Not bad for a 1.8L hatchback, very smooth transmission means there's always a decent amount of power available
- Fuel efficiency is fantastic - usually get around 7L/100km

Interior:
- Stylish and modern (in my opinion)
- Cabin noise is fairly quiet
- Apple CarPlay / Android Auto is awesome, really useful feature

Reliability + Running Costs:
- Cheap, fixed-price servicing
- Doesn't require more expensive petrol (i.e. 93 Octane)

Pakenham

• 1 question
  • 4 answers
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: GD (2012-2016) Body: Wagon Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Multiple Recalls, Wiring issues, Breaking issues, Electrical issues and blown trans before 200000ks

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

Purchased car second hand from a mechanic in 2015, it was 2 years old with 115,000ks on it, full service history. Within first year, two major re calls.. The car is great on fuel, 1.6l Turbo Diesel . by 2018 (car is 6 yrs old and only done 150,000ks.. the trans has gone completely... Full replacement is over 3k!!! Issue after issue with the car, only good thing about it is the boot space and the fuel economy. It makes me question how safe they are if the trans can blow driving on the freeway at 60ks...

Generation: 2017-2018 Body: Hatch Badge: Active Engine Size: 1.6 Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Great fuel economy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2018

Rented this on a recent trip to Brisbane - Wowo I loved it. Boy has this brand come along since I was a kid and they are getting into the performance side of things with the N series too now which are rivalling VW Golf. I really couldn't fault the car in any way - perhaps finish quality on some of the internal surfaces if you pushed me but it was not a problem. Mine was an auto an it was getting under 6l per100kms on the freeway - outstanding!

1 of 15 pages