This product has been discontinued by Hyundai.

Filter By:

Badge: GL Date Purchased: Dec 2004

Loved it for 10 years!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2016

We had a 2004 model.
Feels like a car to sit in, but it drove like a van! - Oh yeah... it IS a van.
Put 200 thousand ks on it and it was more reliable than anything else we've ever owned. (Holden, Ford, Nissan and Alfa - but that's not surprising).
Plenty of space and choices about where you put people and bags - all of the seats are removable!
Never broke down - not once. Never leaked oil. Always started. Always worked.
Electrically excellent - one headlight shorted a bit, but was easily fixed.
We bought it because it was relatively cheap and we were going to just run it til our kids bigger - three young kids and all. We had a pretty low opinion of Hyundai back in 2006 and our expectations were not high. We just needed an easy car to see us through the tantrum years of our toddlers, but this car changed our opinion. We looked after it well - we're pretty gentle on our cars, but the Trajet was brilliant - it just kept on going.
Somewhere before 2004 that Korean car manufacturer really got their act together!
Nowadays I'd pick Hyundai (or even KIA) for reliability over Volkswagen or Toyota - never thought I'd say that!

Badge: GL

Unsure

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2016

I bought this car 7 months ago it's a 2002 model been really reliable until yesterday I was driving along and it started overheating then we smelled a burning smell and pulled over. The oil smells burned and now won't turn over not sure why ? Just had a service a week ago

A Close and Reliable Friend

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

When I bought the car in June 2005, it was one of the cheapest and most spacious MPV around. 9.5 years later, I found out that it is still the cheapest car.......... to maintain. However, despite the many places that I've driven it to and the loads it had to endure all these while, its engine performed admirably. But at some point, it has to give in. But don't get me wrong....this record is admirable as some other makes of similar specs would have buckled after 7 years or earlier. My Trajet showed critical signs of breakdown only 2 months back after 250,000 kms were spent accumulating memorable experiences.

I had initially thought of switching to a new car. However, a visit to my trusted mechanic changed all that. He did an extensive check on my engine and found out that the 'major' problems were actually minor ones which can be fixed by applying simple solutions. So after getting to know about it, I decided to keep my Trajet for another 5 years.

Right now today, I am still driving this wonderful brand of a car knowing that after 280, 000 kms, it is still working fine. The long journey continues...

Very great car

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

Very good to drive, good engine, good power, but the exterior looks ugly with my eyes and all of us also.

Purchased at: Hyundai Dealers

Hyundai rules

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

2005 model. 2.0 petrol. Never had any hassle. Look after it and it looks after you. So impressed I bought a Santa Fe with the same engine. No problems there either.

Generation: FO (2000-2009)

Do yourself a favour dont buy one

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2013

I purchased a 2002 trajet with 188000kms on the clock owned it for three months in this time it was on the road 2 weeks i paid $900 and was told it was fixed but the car had the same problem, the problem was put down to a unknown computer problem that the local hyundai dealer wanted nothing to do with do not buy one

+ Roomy car

Comments

YOU should find a better mechanic. ussually it's piece of cake

Trajet in Indonesia

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2013

We have a 2001 Trajet in the Island of Lombok and are so impressed with the smoothness and quietness of our vehichle. We replaced the joints on front suspension all ok. We have the 2 litre 16V engine and for our roads it performs admirably. It handles the hills and winding roads very well. Love it

+ Handling soft ride and smooth quiet motoring Economy is great but we cant drive fast here.

- Thin paint is easy to scratch but after 135 thou ks and 1 million motor bikes on the road still looks good.

Comments

great

• 1 review
  • 13 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2012

Mine is a 2005 model, owned it since 2006 and has not dissappoint me at all. Took it on some 'easy' unsealed road/ tracks around SA and QLD, and still ok. Good for picnic, fold the 2nd/3rd row seats to make a table. We tend to put things between seats as additional luggage area ... but that's okay, make sure all of your food for long distance trip are within easy reach

+ Is meets most requirement of a family, cheap to buy, plenty of space, 5 yr warranty, V6 engine, removable seats, aircon outlet for 3rd row, excellent value for money.

- original Michelin tyre is very expensive, not much luggage space left when all 7 seats are occupied, lap only belt on the middle of 3rd row.

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

We traded our old faithful Mitsubishi star wagon in on a 2005 trajet and shortley after travelled half the country and I use it for work with all the rear seats removed and it has never let us down... read more »

grate car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2012

this car seats everyone . .3 rd hand. great car why haven i seen more of them on the road
the power plus is great CAR LOOKS FANTASTK
the only thing is you can not put extra children seets hook up points in the back row . as far as i know no engeneer will pass it to put them in .. LOVE THE CAR

+ looks fantastik

- boot spase

SINGAPORE

• 5 helpful votes

Value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2012

We bought a 6 year old Trajet in January 2012. Car came with 12 disc changer and roof monted LCD monitor. Changed the belts, brake pads and front discs, spark plugs and oil about $1100. Plenty of space for 2 kids, the in laws, and family stuff like baby stroller, bicycle and windsurfer on the roof.
Had to change the radiator and thermostat about $500 , battery $180, aircon compressor $500 over the past few months so the car should be OK for the next few years until it is scrapped when it is 10 years old. Changed the tyres to Falken ze912 after a puncture as all the tyres were well past their prime.
$120 each fitted including nitrogen. All prices in Singapore dollars.

+ The Space. The price. The space

- It was 6 years old and needed some work

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 60 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2012

I am loving hear all these people bag the Trajet over the Kia Carnival. It makes me laugh because the Kia IS A TRAJET U FOOLS! Kia is made by Hyundai and is just a poorly made over priced version of the Hyundai Trajet!!! Do ur homework before u bag such a good car!

+ I hate vans but the Trajet is a great car to drive. Its fabulous if you have a few kids and if I didnt have the Hyundai Terracan the Trajet would be my choice!

- There is nothing to dislike about the Trajet! For the money in comparison to other car manufacturers and warranties, the Trajet is FANTASTIC!!!

• 68 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2012

For all the KIA vs HYUNDAI ppl. YES, Kia is owned by Hyundai BUT the Carnival and Trajet are in no way the same car (not even like close relatives!) The Trajet is actually based on the Sonata V6 engine. Trajet has the best value for money of all the PM's, it is cheap but has the quality that the Carnival lacks, it is not exorbitantly luxurious - who needs leather seats for kids to wreck anyway? And it drives really well, look after it and it will look after you (and your big family)

+ (#2007 GLS model) Great turning circle for a PM. Excellent cabin space. Very competitive price, NCW until 2012. Relatively smooth drive. Economical (we are rural)

- Plastic - feels a bit like things may start breaking in the back, esp. with kids climbing all over (but to be expected) 3rd row seats tricky to replace after taking out.

67 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 19 helpful votes

Generation: FO (2000-2009)

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2012

I have 6 members in my familiy. I bought this MPV in 2007 eventhough the model was 2005. Its okay coz I've got 3 years warrant with it and almost 36K discouted price. When i bought this veh, I certainly knew that I am going to keep this veh 'forever' coz market value for Korean cars in Malaysia is not that friendly. 2 years already and so far no major hickup except one incident of inefficient braking after a week use. They overcome it by servicing the disc brake.Since then, I enjoyed it very much. My kids like it to eventhough, I know that the cabin interior, comfort; are not the best. But... It okay for me becoz the rest of the specs are not that disappointment afterall. I have leatherseats, auto-cruise, CD/VCD/DVD player with remote controls, flexible seat that i cold remove if I wanna to transport big items. So far, all trims and accessories a well functioned and intact. I have already clocked 65,000 km al so far...... it still hold....
So,let me put it this way. Sometimes you have to be realistic on what ever things u own in this world. It id all depend on how thick is you pocket and how much you wanna spend out of it. Then....If you a bachelor... sport cars type probably is for you. If you are married with 1 or 2 kids... probably a saloon type of car,is for you. If you are like me, married, 3 kids, having a housemaid; i choosed MPV becoz i can carry everyone at one go. Lack of luggage space. No problem man! Buy a roof carrier and put your things over your head. Afterall, that is the purpose of them installed the roof rail at he rooftop of Trajet... So, what next? Bigger family members... come on man.... buy a 10 or 11 seater people mover then... or else go for minibus. Dont expect to fit in 7-8 human in a MPV like Trajet and then complained about where to put in luggage. The things is... you all have all the liberty to examine first on what type of automobiles that you wanna to buy and ask yourselves many question on how the vehicle can suit you best.

+ Relatively cheap in a 'full-size MPV' market segment. Can fit in truly 7 adult in the cabin, incl driver. Plenty of legs room.

- Limited luggage space. Under power for 2.0l petrol model.

19 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

My 2000 Trajet has been fantastic. Despite all the great looking cars on the market, I dared not sell my Trajet as the beast has been brilliant, low service cost, great power on country drives, gre... read more »

• 13 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2012

We, 2 adults and 4 teenagers love it. The chidren aren't emmbarrassed to be seen it it,(but were in a tarago). GREAT VALUE for money and hasn't given us a days grief yet.

+ 2001 model, Feels solid and substantial to drive and ride in it, Walk though row, second row trays and cabin seats, decent grunt and power without hitting the hip pocket too hard, all rear seats are removable to enable a large storage capacity, dual air con, cruise control etc, plus it drives like a car not a bus, very roomy and plenty of leg space and gecent storage area in thee back. Lots of storage areas through ot the car and 3 x 12 volt power chargers.

- watch the paint work for fade , paint can be rather thin and discolour easily

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2012

We've owned the car for 2 months & have had it for 15 days.
5 days after buying it the fuel pump went in it got that fixed, 2 days later 600km away from home on the freeway engine blewup if you're looking at buyung one of these cars do yourself a favour Don't!

- Expensive, crappy dealership warranity mob wont ever help!!!!

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Mine is ok. Owned it since 2005. Mileage now is 95K km. Only change the automatic transmission selenoid after 7 years and 85K km.

• 2 answers
  • 21 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2012

We eventually traded this car in before the end of the warranty losing a lot of money. Would definitely not buy another of these cars or buy a Hyundai as they were also useless & refused to acknowledge that they had sold me a lemon - tweed James Frizelle & Hyundai head office. Dept of consumer affairs were no help either. My next step was going to a currant affair but decided to let it go & move on. I now have a VW Tiguan which is no comparison in quality.

+ The size & seating of this car is very convenient for the larger family. Sunglasses holder is good.

- When I read the other reviews I realize now that we bought a lemon or as someone suggested - a "Friday avo" car. Our car was back to the dealer numerous times from about six months - purchased car new in late 2004.. From the engine just about conking out randomly, to the steering column needing replacing, front end problems, computer problem where the car wouldnt go any faster than 60klms which was horrifying when I was on the on ramp to a busy motorway!! The car dented easily & the auto windows seemed to struggle. There isn't much boot space when all seats are being used.

• 46 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2012

its the best car we have ever had and there is no way you would trade one in for a CARNIVAL because thats what we traded for the trajet
i love it even if i won lotto tomorrow i would never get rid of the trajet

+ every thing and they do have a lot of power, we have friends who drive four wheel drives and they cant believe the power and unlike the carnival you actually have windows that wind down in the back not fixed glass like the kias

- people want you to either move them or take them some where

22 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 16 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2012

5 year warranty suggests they back what they sell. I couldnt be happier with my descision to buy one. Smooth on the road, has cruise control for long trips, lots of storage space ie: glove boxes, pockets etc. Great car!

+ For a people mover it very comfortable for driver and passenger. Has enough grunt to tackle the hills, looks good too.

- Being a front wheel drive the tyres tend to wear easier. Storage space for groceries isnt real big.

16 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 37 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2012

I'm not really a 'bus' person but I find the Trajet a very comfortable and easy drive. It is as easy to park as a station wagon with a fairly small turning circle of 5.67m diameter (as opposed to Odyssey and Zafira at >10m)

The seat layout works really well with children as they can get into the rear seats by walking down the central aisle rather than having to tip a 2nd row seat forward. I have a rear-facing capsule in one 2nd row seat and a full backed booster seat in the other yet my 6yr old can easily get into the 3rd row seats.

Not having a central console between the front seats means that you have yet more storage space on the floor. The multitude of storage compartments throughout the whole car is fantastic.

I love this car, it suits my purposes perfectly and I'd recommend a Trajet to anyone who needs a people mover.

+ Plenty of room for passengers. Easy access to rear seats. Smooth driving and good acceleration.

- As with all people movers, the cargo space is not huge but by the same token there is a lot of useable floor space in the cabin.

37 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 14 helpful votes

Generation: FO (2000-2009)

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2012

Has 7 seats including the two middle bucket recliner seats where other people movers have only a bench seat. Its an extremely comfortable ride for a bus type car. I love the fact they can continue to give heaps of warranty on all their cars. Cant be too bad if they can back up their product hey?

+ Very comfortable people mover. Plenty of room for the driver and passengers. Has enough grunt to take on the hills too which surprised me.We have had ours for a few years now and i couldnt fault it.

- Has the cheap and nasty Hyundai name but is certainly not deserved! My only gripe with this car is that there isnt much grocery space in the rear.

1 of 2 pages