• 1 review

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

What a waste of money!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Don't get this robot! Thats all i need to start with.
We had an el-cheapo before this and the el-cheapo robot vacuum was so much better than this!
We have had our roomba 980 just over a year and its been nothing but problematic. What a waste of $1400!
1) It gets clogged up all the time and we need to unclog it every single day. The stuff its picking up doesn't even make it to the bin, it just gets clogged in the gap between the bin and the brushes.
2) Even though it is supposed to learn its way around your home, it doesn't. It kept on banging into all our stuff, leaving marks on our furniture everywhere. Its like it was blind!
3) The vacuum power is just useless, it barely picks up anything (and of course, when it does, it gets clogged up!)
4) The robot decides to stop charging now that its out of warranty

I would recommend not getting this robot as its absolute trash!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning Anna W Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. We would very much like to discuss the review with you further. If you can please contact our office on 1300 727 421 with... read more »

• 9 comments
  • 23 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2017

We've had 3 Roomba and this one is just terrible

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2018

As the subject says, we've had 3 Roomba's over the years and this one is just terrible. Where do I start though.
Firstly, the "debris extractors" barely pick up anything. The brushes on our old 780 were much more useful on hardwood floors, vinyl floors, and carpet.
Secondly, the hole between the brushes and the bin is constantly clogging with dust and dirt so nothing ever gets into the bin. Our old 780 would go close to a week without needing attention (bin clean, brush clean, etc). The 980 needs that hole cleaned every single day. We don't live in a particularly dusty or dirty area (in fact nothing has changed since we had the 780), except for the fact we now have the 980 instead of the 780.
Thirdly, those debris extractors are just too flimsy. One thing gets stuck in them and the rubber shreds.
If there's one positive thing I can say for it, is the vacuum unit is definitely more powerful. But it doesn't outweigh the faults with this machine.
I'd advise looking at alternatives to Roomba if you can since they took away the brushes and made this unit so poorly. Our next robot will definitely not be a Roomba.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning AdamMadd We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the upgrade from your Roomba 780 to the new Roomba 980. You will find that to start with you will be having to clean your Roomba more... read more »

Hi,
I tried calling but i just sit on hold for a very long time but do not get to speak to anyone. Please send me a private message so we can resolve this.

HI AdamMadd,
Pleae email us directly at service@ixl.com.au with reference C0155124 and your best contact details and we will endeavour to call you within the next 24 hours.

Sydney

• 1 question
  • 3 answers
  • 17 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Nov 2018

Sensor can't see and got itself scratched

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2018

I was horrified that within its first 15 minutes of operation, new out of the box, the robot managed to get BOTH of its own sensors scratched up against the hardware under my sofa. I thought the sensor was supposed to see objects and not collide into them! I am now extremely concerned that with scratched sensors it can no longer navigate and clean thoroughly.

I love my mopping iRobot and thought the Roomba 980 would similarly meet expectations. But $1500 for a unit that causes damage to itself is just a $1500 liability!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning bronnchan Thank you for reviewing the Roomba 980. This particular model has a camera built in on the face of the unit. The sensor on top is so it can see the home base. The Roomba's ar... read more »

Timaru

• 5 answers

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Brilliant!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

Procrastinated about this for a while, as they a a little pricey, but now don't think I could live without this awesome product.
Bought iRobot Roomba 980, (we named her Nina), for the 'in-between clean.' We have a dark coloured carpet and there are always crumbs, thread, fur, hair, dust, etc etc to be noticed, (well I notice them). So I have 'Nina' set up for a clean every second day. She does a really good job, and I was surprised how much actual dust she picks up as well as the long hair, crumbs etc. Yes she will get stuck and advise of an error on my phone when she sucks up kids boxer shorts, or somehow wedges herself under the couch! But thats ok, she turns herself off.
A wee bit loud, but can live with that.
Very impressed.

Purchased at: Noel Leeming

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning Julia
Thank you for your reviewing the Roomba 980. These are fantastic vacuums for maintenance cleaning. Hopefully the kids will start picking their boxers up so Nina stops collecting them.

SKILLION FLAT

Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Best vacuum ever!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2018

I wanted to wait a while before writing a review to see how this vacuum continued to work with time. I must say I really am amazed at how good it is. It is still as good as the day we got it.

The first day we got Roomba, my husband and I literally sat there watching it clean to see if it would go under the furniture, over our rugs and in tight to reach spots. It went under ALL of the furniture, even reaching places we didn't think it would fit, it cleaned all of our rugs and it changes suction when it goes on to the rug surface. This little vacuum didn't miss a spot and even went over a few places twice! Once it had finished it went back to its base to charge.

It came with 2 barriers that you can put in front of a room you don't want it to clean or maybe a dog bowl you don't want it to bump. It maps out your entire house and you can see exactly where it cleaned. We set it on a schedule so it cleans at the same time everyday. It is very smart. We have stairs and it has never fallen over the edge.

I don't know what else I could ask for in a vacuum. Now, this vacuum is not a replacement for a regular vacuum. We use it as maintenance. I still vacuum once a week in order to clean the places it doesn't fit, which aren't many but there are a few. It's just great to get home everyday and not have to vacuum. I empty out the tray 1-2 times a week and it's always full. I don't know how I lived so long without Roomba.

I would definitely purchase this again and if it ever breaks, I'm buying another one. It has made life so much easier and I don't have to worry about vacuuming under the bed because it vacuums there every day and doesn't miss a spot! Get this vacuum!

Comments
iRobot Official

HI Billy
Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. You have hit the nail on the head, this is a perfect maintenance clean. Schedule it to clean when ever you want and you come home to a clean house.

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

I would marry it if I could

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2018

This is awesome. It has saved hubby and I from so many fights and does a great job for an automatic system - of course it doesn’t get into every crack and crevice so you still need to occasionally clean sharp corners and skirtings but overall it will save you heaps of time! We have rugs/carpet and floor boards.

Comments
iRobot Official

Hi Mum of one Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are fantastic maintenance clean devices. Saving you from having to bring and hand vacuum out on a regular bases. Now it i... read more »

• 2 questions

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Highly recommend

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

I am impressed with the results and efficiency of this product. It forces your family to keep the house clutter free or he will get stuck.
I have mainly tile and floorboards with some large rugs and he does a great job on everything.
I have found running him everyday is best then your house gets clean enough you only empty the bin and clean the extractors once a week.
Only one bad thing is he’s a bit loud but I’ll deal with that.
Certainly will never be without one now. Love it!!!!

• 6 comments
  • 12 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

F10 Error

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

It was working great for the 1st , 20 days and now comes up with the F10error, we have factory reset the unit and still comes up with this error, as we bought this from kogan we are unable to get warranty here in Au but kogan have been great and have sent us a product return, free of charge, cant wait to get it back.

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning Jamie
We are sorry to hear this has happened. Though are happy to hear Kogan are looking after you.
Kind regards iRobot

Just an update about my dealing with Kogan online , they have sent a replacement but it was very dirty and 2nd hand , a lot of parts are missing from the new box , I have added a video for those th... read more »

HI Jamie
I am sorry to hear this. Thank you for keeping us all updated on your dealings.

Woodville, South Australia

Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Turned into a toy really for my husband

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2018

Bought this as a birthday gift for my husband last year and at first he loved it until it drove him nuts as it always needs emptying after each use and has to be put on charge too for long time for short run time. Fun slowly turned bad but it's good on our wood floors but no so much on our carpets

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
iRobot Official

Hi Sarah v Shazza
We are sorry to hear the amusement wore off so quickly with your husband. If you could please contact our office on 130 727 421 with reference C0156392. We would very mush like to discuss the above with you more.

david49@bigpond.net.au

Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Great machine which actually works

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

We bought the Roomba 980 (christened Robbie the robot) in December 2017 after an extensive renovation on our 2 level home. Both levels are now polished hardwood with a few mats and rugs but no carpet. Robbie works a treat! Typically we set him off when we go shopping and he's done by the time we get home.
There are a number of models in the Roomba range and it was difficult to work out where they differed so in the end we bought the top of the line 980.
We have 2 cats who spend some of their time inside so typically there's a lot of cat hair picked up which isn't visible on the floors. Because Robbie is programmed to cover everywhere, he doesn't miss anything except where he is unable to fit under furniture. At 90mm high, we have little furniture that blocks him. In fact, we fitted slightly higher legs to our king size bed so that he is able to fit under. Because of it's size, our conventional upright vacuum couldn't reach right onder the bed.The amount of fluff that he picks up under the bed is astounding. Robbie has no problems avoiding falling down stairs.
A neat feature is the mobile phone app from which you can manage his activities. He even sends a message when he's finished a job or has become stranded somewhere. At the end of a job, the app shows a map of where he's cleaned and where he's missed due to an obstruction.
;One disadvantage is the relatively small size of the dust container. There has been so much fluff and cat hair on occasions that he has returned to base and sent a message that it had to be emptied before he could continue. This is rare but has happened. Similarly, if the battery charge drops to a certain level, he will return to base and recharge. The recharge can take a while which is annoying if you want to get the job finished. As our floors are wood, he spends most time at the lower 'suck' level. On carpet, I suspect it would operate at the higher level which it does on our rugs reducing the amount of battery time.
It isn't necessary to move furniture out of his path but typically we place the dining chairs on the table. This just means a quicker and more straight-forward clean.
One concern we have is that the charging station failed recently but was replaced without question under warranty.
No question, we love our Robbie.

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Afternoon David
Thank you for the fantastic review of the Roomba R980 or should I say Robbie. If you have any future questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Perth

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Great addition to our new home.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

We’ve been using this Roomba for a year and have decided that I would definitely purchase again if I had to make the choice again . I use it for downstairs which is floorboard-like linoleum and carpet. It goes to the lounge, media room, study, kitchen, laundry and washroom and does the job really well. I turn it on before going to work and come home to clean floors. Makes me keep the house in order too, so I can just turn it on without worrying about what will be sucked up. I often do a quick sweep before turning on but it shocks me to see how much more it collects. It’s pretty simple to clean out and maintain. Love how it can be controlled with my phone. This is one appliance that I believe was worth paying for.

Purchased at: RetraVision

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Afternoon Ruth 70
Thank you for reviewing the iRobot Roomba 980. These are a fantastic device for keeping your home clean and tidy.
Thanks iRobot

Western Australia

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Didn't think it work but it dose

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

We bought this just for laughts and upon its first use was very surprised how well it works. Yes ok it dose not get everything and sometimes drives right past things it should pick up but it's not a perfect world right. It takes a while to charge but lasts a lot longer than we thought it would

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning Krystal
Thank you for reviewing the iRobot Roomba 980. These are fantastic aren't they. Perfect for doing the maintenance clean whilst no one is at home.

• 1 review

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Two retrievers and 4 kids, the Roomba 980 cleans up after all of them!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2018

We have a large single storey 5 bedroom house, vinyl floorboards throughout the living areas and carpet in the bedrooms. As per the title, we have 2 golden retriever and 4 boys aged 10 and under, so needless to say the place was in constant need of attention. The dog hair and food from the boys was enough to drive you mad cleaning. We talked about getting a cleaner, we got a Roomba 980 and affectionately called her Rhonda instead.
The difference Rhonda has made has been amazing. She cleans the vinyl floor perfectly, yes she doesn't get in all the corners perfectly but you get that with a round robot in a square corner. She does the carpets better than I expected also, leaving them clean and with nice lines!
On the vinyl floorboards in the living area, she is quiet enough to maintain a conversation with a visitor whilst she is cleaning. The noise whilst doing carpets does increase, but not more than a normal vac.
The vacs under all our beds!
She gets under the lounge, vacs and pulls out all the toys the kids throw under there.
The app works great and she goes off as scheduled. Makes me smile to know that someone else has cleaned our house for 6 hrs whilst we are at work.
Amazing......

A couple of cons.... There has to be a couple,
- the dust bin fills up fairly quickly but it is amazing how much she picks up. She vacs every day and still picks up at least two bins full!
-Hair etc gets caught in the rollers but its easy enough to clean out every day or two.
- sometimes she goes over the same place numerous times and appears to be "stuck" bu there is nothing impeding her. She seems to loved the rug by the fireplace.

The only cons I could come up with, the Roomba 980 really is amazing. I was skeptical for a few years, but now I'd buy another tomorrow if Rhonda popped her clogs.....

Purchased at: Bing Lee

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning Matthew
Thank you for the fantastic review of the Roomba 980. With 2 dogs and 4 kids I am surprised you didn't hired an in home cleaner. We are happy to hear Rhonda has been able to help you out with the cleaning.

QLD

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Bought as a joke turned out well

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2018

We bought this just for the fun of owning one but was shocked after putting it over the carpet once how much extra dirt and sruff it picked up. Doesn't get everything up but it's not your standard vacuum. The cat loves sitting on it while it moves which is so funny too

Purchased at: Appliances Online

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Hi Davie
Thank you for reviewing the Roomba 980. I too was amazed by how much the Roomba collected from the carpet.
Have you seen the video on YouTube of the cat riding the Roomba in a shark costume?

Melbourne

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

A great helper

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 22, 2018

This robot works better than I thought it would. We have quite a large home with carpet & tiles and the irobot does a good job of keeping the floors clean during the in between vacuuming I still do with the traditional vac. The only thing I find is that due to the size of our floor area, the irobot often has to stop & charge twice through the cleaning cycle which does add some time. The robot is quite loud, somewhat louder than a normal vac but not enough to put you off using it. The down side is my dear cat likes the vibrations enough to try & sit on it. That's not helpful.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Hi Vik You cat is not the only one. Check out YouTube, there plenty of videos of cats and small dogs riding along even turning the Roomba on and off as they like. These are a fantastic maintenance... read more »

Adelaide, SA

• 2 comments
  • 11 answers
  • 7 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Best Functional Purchase In A Long Time

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2018

Pet fur ! Our dog constantly sheds! A nightmare now in the past. We were using our stick vac every couple of days including under our beds. We saw a demo being done at Harvey Norman & felt confident it would do the job. This vacuum is worth every cent ! Performance as manufacturer & the demonstrator promises.
Our floors are all hard, but it does work well on the front door mat which has a portion of carpet on it.
We have downloaded the app on an Android phone & our app. My only issue is I cannot get the app to work on my phone, but I am getting help soon from the support centre. My husband has even started our vacuum from work.
It is easy to clean & the sensors work well when putting one near the dog water bowl. The programming is easy.
We love our Rubee!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Afternoon cking08 Thank your for the glowing review of the Roomba 980. There is very little left for me to say, except I hope your husband setting it off at work isn't scaring the dog. Please ... read more »

No worries. I truly love this piece of equipment. iPhone set up still not sorted though.

Good Afternoon cking08
I am sorry to hear the the setup of the app still isn't functioning. Please call our office on 1300 727 421 and we will try further troubleshooting.

Unanderra

• 6 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Good with limitations.

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 30, 2018

We bought this as we are expecting our third kid and cleaning is something we'd love to outsource.
Keep in mind the following things before you buy though:
The roomba does some things better than you ever can - ie under beds and chairs..
It doesnt do corners stairs or skirtings...
If you have a big house it requires multiple chargings and sessions.
If you are having guests in and want everything looking A1 you may have to touch up with the hand vacuum as it tends to miss things you can see.

Overall it is ok and saves time - but it doesn't do the whole house without supervision..

Purchased at: Bing Lee

Comments
iRobot Official

Hi Monty Thank you for your review of the Roomba 980. These are the perfect maintenance vaccum to have so you are not having to use your hand vaccum as often. We do still recommend this every so of... read more »

i hope you keep inventing.. when you have a model that does corners skirting and stairs... you'll blitz them. I would pay another $1000 for it...

Melbourne Area

• 24 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Can't live without it

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

The Roomba 980 does work. Its a life saved and being an organised person, I like having the ability to easily schedule the unit to clean when I need it to. I always think my floors are clean but after I look at the irobot has picked up from carpet and tiles, I am always surprised. Highly recommend this model (the most premium) If you are going to invest in robot vacuum, this is certainly the one.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Afternoon Andrea
Thank you for your review of the Roomba 980. This is certainly the Roomba to choose if you have the dollars to spend. It is amazing how much it cleans up every time it goes out.

Melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Forget Vacuuming!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 10, 2018

Forget Vacuuming!
Pro:
Almost set and forget (Needs bin cleaning)
Easy to connect to your phone
Can create a schedule (I have mine set at 3x weekly)
Can go under your bed, furnitures
Creates a map

Con:
Small bin
Noisy (same as regular vacuum)
Sometimes cannot go home (battery low)

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
iRobot Official

Good Morning Wess
Thank you for this very accurate and straight to the point review of the Roomba 980.

If you have any future questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at service@ixl.com.au.

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

It's good but not perfect

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2018

All hardwood floors, doesn't get right to the wall edge every time, often have to sweep around the walls then let the vacuum get it.
App doesn't work at all and is very noisy. However I would purchase another as it can't do all my floors in one day if it wasn't for the price.
Wanted to give it 5 stars but can't sorry.

Comments
iRobot Official

HI Reefy,
We are sorry to hear you are not 100% satisfied with your Roomba 980. Please contact us on 1300 727 421 to discuss further how we may be able to get your Roomba working better for you.

1 of 5 pages