Model: Eagle

Jayco Dealers are hopeless and Jayco are thieves.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2018

Jayco vans are rubbish. Dont be fooled. The dealers are not interested in fixing problems they make you wait until you pay for a warranty service to fix their problems. It is a rort and the ACCC should do something about it. I complained to Jayco head office refused to take calls and they hide behind emails. Finally I got Jayco head office to do the service for $500 because they dont want to upset dealers with a cheaper service price. I marked everything before the service and nothing was touched. I embarrassed them so badly they refunded the money. I would never take my van back to any of them. I have slowly been upgrading the problems myself as I can because I am a qualified trades person not a child with a pop rivet gun.

What can I say

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

Purchased our Jayco Swan new in May 2017 we did a couple of small trips to locations on made roads we were pretty happy at that stage only issue was the corner screw holding the canvas to the roof came out, which left a gaping hole until fixed.

We have just returned from our trip through the Pilbara, the Kimberley’s and central Aust

Out trip along the Gibb River Road put the van through it’s paces what could go wrong you might ask, well a lot

Door lock snapped (cable ties to keep door closed from then on)
Spare wheel support bracket snapped (spare wheel had to be stored in the van)
Door roof support broken
Door screws came out
Door pop rivits snapped
Secured Microwave found in the middle of the van the screws ripped out
Microwave door broken due to coming out of secured location
Table locks come loose and table hit microwave and also damaged floor covering
Cupboard door locks don’t work
Kitchen sink mains water tap loose
Step into van doesn’t stay folded when driving
Electric brakes not working on left hand side

If I had my time again I wouldn’t waste my money on such an inferior product

The only thing that didn’t fall off was the stickers

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Model: Swan

my swan outback is getting built wont be ready till mid septeber

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2018

Can i put roof racks on by adjusting the rails so the windup tv aerial will fit.At this stage that is all a wont to know when i get my jayco swan.

Newcastle

• 2 comments
  • 5 answers

Jayco newcastle

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2018

We brought a Jayco eagle earlier in the year had a few issues but my main issues is the service that you get from the service department at Jayco Newcastle on our 1st trip away had a issues with the fridge got to them look at it that was but while it was at the dealership for the fridge issue I ask them to look at a few annex walls and some other things as we were going away again before the 3 month service but got told can only look at them in the 3 month service must be to hard to pull out the annex walls to I guess to have look. so when I booked it in at the 3 month service they need the van for a couple of days I told them no problem but I cant get back to the weekend to pick it up as I live up in the hunter Valley it was then organise to pick on the Saturday morning I got a call on the Friday to say I cant pick it up on the weekend so it was organised for the following weekend, this is where I get angry I ring on the Friday just to confirm the pick up I get a no one will be here for you to pick it up needs to be picked up during the week mind you the person who is telling me this is the same person who organised for to pick it up on the weekend so after some a heated discussion that this was organised last week they then organise a service tech to come in on the Saturday morning for me to pick it up and I was made to feel guilty that a some one from the service center was coming in on his own time for me to get my van. but then to my surprise it was left up to the guys in the sales department to help me, why lie I sent a email to there manager and all I can say we will agree to disagree on there after sale service, there sale team are great. but my van will not be going back to them. the fridge issues is still not fixed to a standard that think it should be have been told by a Jayco service tech that I should install a fan to the vent to extract the heat as you cant leave anything on the bench as it is way to hot I know my next van will be from Jayco Newcastle I know that much. and they will nor see my Van again if I can help it.

Verified Purchase Model: Eagle

Brilliant Camper - light, easy to tow and nice to setup

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2018

2005 Jayco Eagle Outback
I bought my camper approx. 5years ago, i have young family (3 kids under 5), and find it perfect for our family
Its nice to setup and easy to tow around - not like a big cumbersome caravan
When ive travelled north - this is the camper that stands the test of time!
I found that the older Jayco outbacks are built better then the new, as silly as it sounds - must be the simplistic no fuss
back then they probally cared about actually tightening all the screws up and the cabinets were not made of the cheap wood like they are nowadays
electric brakes are also a great relief when towing with a smaller SUV, with the family in the car

Sydney

Model: Swan

Service may be worse than the quality

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

We have had our Swan Outback for just under 5 years. The silicon filler used in the roofs is clearly not up to standard as we have experienced major leaks twice in that time. Jayco refuse to return calls to discuss the issue so very little chance anything will change for newer versions.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Canberra

We love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

We purchased the Outback version and we love it. Its roomy, easy to set-up and to pack-up. Sits well on the road, its well fitted out and the decor is very nice, noting we had some changes made at the factory to ensure the cupboards all matched. Only criticism is that we are not sure why Jayco placed the main power connector right next to the sink (water) and placed the sink so close to the window with blinds that seem to get wet a bit to easy when washing dishes.

• 9 helpful votes

Model: J-Pod

A great little unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 04, 2018

I have a JPOD Sports have done several thousand ks on and off road so far few minor problems a lose fitting here and there but nothing major. Packed the tent away never used it and and went straight out and had a new one made attaches to existing clips and runner suported by rear door on two poles has 2 windows floor and zippered door.Custom made $ 850 works a treat also had cooper stt tyres new springs and air bags fitted 120 watt solar pannel to roof stone guard and extra gas bottle.Tyres liffted the ground clearence and new springs with air bags absorb the the load and corrigations
Probably owes me 21 to $22,000 now but its all I need had a TVAN $68,500.00 NEW go anywhere unbrackable but smaller inside harder to set up finishes much the same.Never in 5 years did I ever go anywhere I couldnt go with my POD its all about what you expect were you want to go and what your prepared to pay.The POD comes in several configurations from an empty shell through to the Sport like I have ,you get what you pay for as to gaps and bad seals poor workmanship I must have been lucky.
As to the physical side of monovering and setting up the POD which is about as simple as it gets if you are dissabled and have limitted ability and physical strength I dont know of any unit that addresses these issues stock of the shelf. THIS REQUIRES ENGINEERED MECHANICAL SOLUTIONS THAT CAN BE EXPENSIVE AND DIFFICULT TO INSTALL.
The TVAN was top shelf but I can assure you Its not as simple a SET UP or physically easy as made out in the video if you have disabilitys I doubt you could do it on your own without help.
Old saying buyer beware research what you want look at what you need and never buy on impulse.
PS. As to Jayco I delt through St Marys they are proffecional people who did everything to help and have been pro active in following up the purchase to ensure Iam happy with the product.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 answer

Model: Swift

great little camper to two and child

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 06, 2018

After selling our old jayco finch two a lovely young couple who are giving it a new
life and a make over we bought a jayco swift 3 years old tows real well behind four cylinder petrol hilux it's great for two adults lovely and warm on cold nights .electric brakes work well has battery pack at everything Al the big vans have except air con. Tows really well recommend it to anybody who want a small camper.it actually Unfolds and sets up better and easier than the old one reversing is easy to as it has a long draw bar.really happy with it and I know I can always sell the far what I paid or a little less.again really happy highly recommend it.

Model: Swan

have not got one yet cant wait for the day

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2018

g/day looked at flamingo/swan/eagle cant go past the swan outback i like were the fridge is lol roomy full size beds van looks compact and easy to tow quick set up mixed reviews iam going with the good comments some people just can not be pleased .prices are great resale great .well back to work so i can get out and see more of our wonder land sooner go the swany

Model: Swift

Great Camper

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2018

Absolutely love it. Tows great, Easy to erect, good quality build. Fits in the garage out of the weather. We added a few upgrades like drop jack legs, battery pack, windgard TV antenna, a frame tap, black Rhino roof racks, mud flaps, and so on would highly recommended it.

Perth

Model: J-Pod

Good Bed in a box

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2018

I have had my JPod now for 2 years. I am unable to use it very much as I am unable to erect the tent. I had had tent poles replaced by Jayco & still now have bent poles. I was told by Jayco that it is easy to put up just watch the video. Ha ha after putting in the 4 poles the tent then stands up ON ITS OWN
Does anyone have any answers as to how a single female puts up the tent or is there another tent available that would suit
I would use I more if I could get a tent
I
The pod is in my backyard & is being used as a spare bed for visitors, a very expensive bed

• 2 answers

Dissapointed

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2017

Purchased new in 2015,
Before hand over the water tank had to be replaced, faulty.
We could not use the Swan for a year owing to medical reasons, soon after the 12 mth warrantee, and on the second trip, the Gremlins hit.
The pump tap was not installed properly, the main bolt holding it fell off, I had to fix this.
Screws falling out of both beds.
On the forward bed one of the bolt locations damaged the bench top, near the fridge, I had to move this to stop further damage.
Screws on the door frame fell out (overtightened at build)
This may have caused the door to be damaged when closing up.
Front boot had to be reset, leaked in rain.
Hydraulic ram in boot failing.
Just after this last trip, the cheap hand water pump tap snapped.
Some door closers stick.

It is a shame their quality control doesn't work either, The Swan is a nice van, very comfortable.
but all this small stuff is very annoying!

melbourne

• 15 answers

Raising the roof

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

Reading other reviews will share our experience with the Jayco Penguin. We bought ours 6 months ago and spent several long weekends and longer travelling, without incident. Heading for NSW southern coast we stayed in Orbost for the night. Trying to wind up the roof 3 corners rose but one wouldn't. Fortunately being tall I was able to slowly raise it by hand ( its quite heavy) whilst my partner was the monkey grinder, and we jammed the support pole in place to prop up the corner. This meant the door wouldnt fit the space but least of our problems. We were able to reduce it to lowest level next morning again by me manually holding it up as the other 3 sides lowered. Getting to Ulladullah later in the day and repeated the same process. Rang dealer to refer our difficulties, they referred us to a local RV repairer. We visited them and they said would look at it but we would have to pay; they weren't prepared to try and claim under warranty from Jayco.
Due to other circumstances we had to leave earlier than expected so we agreed to return it to the dealer for repair and booked in accordingly - despite some suggestion it may end up being a result of operator error causing the fault we did take it back and the cable ( I think) was replaced without cost. I now understand from other blogsites JAyco did a total recall over the winder systems of the camper range (eg :Penguin) so I thank them for fixing the issue gratis. I also found the JAyco dealership to be very reasonable to deal with.
Further issue 12v roof internal lights now not working - it was prior to the last repairs.! So we have to return it again to check if somewiring is loose or pinched or something.
What have we decided: to treat the winder/ roof raising/ lowering with kid gloves . We will give it several more opportunities and if no further problems will depart on our long planned round Oz trip. Low behold if it plays up again when we get to WA or similar!!.
If it causes problems next few trips away we will have to reassess if we want to persevere or look at other alternative vans.
Other than that I can only think of carrying a small 2 man tent for out and out emergency accommodation. Better than sleeping in a chair all night!
So that's our experience - would appreciate if other penguin owners have had similar problems and if or how they overcame them? Cheers

• 1 answer

Never buy Jayco

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Bought the van new and built to our specifications. Motorised roof didn't work, motorised awning didn't work, television antenna didn't work, sound system was positioned in such a way it was unusable (we are a couple in our mid 60's). Contacted Jayco customer service manager who stated "there is no problem". WHAT???? Television antenna eventually repaired. After two years I contacted the Dept of Consumer Affairs who compelled Jayco to take the van in which they did. The boys at Jayco Newcastle were great, repaired two major faults they identified. We are now travelling the outback with a van that almost works as it should, however the awning continues to jam and the sound system remains inaccessible. NEVER buy Jayco.

Wollongong

• 2 comments

Model: Hawk

Quality and functionality

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2017

This is the best midlife purchase I've ever made.
Fantastic customer service and after sales support.
The quality and attention to detail has far exceeded my expectations.
I wish we had of purchased the jayco Hawke when my children were smaller but still the four of us find this model to be very spacious.
I love it.

cracked roof

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2017

recently went to NT on some dirt highways with what you would expect corrugated but not heavy we were not happy with our swan when we picked it up from the dealer new in 2015 we had traded in our hawk 2009 we loved this but thought we would trade up to an outback version for better clearance on dirt roads behind the4wd anyway we were on the Oodnadatta track when we first noticed one of the shockers on the camper had torn the strap we then cable tie this together to hold but further on we then lost the electric breaks the wiring had gone so we only had breaks on one side which later on also went wire pulled out ,the top of the door where attached to the roof with pop rivets broke off ,the microwave was only held in with 3 screws that we could find after it had come adrift we had the recall done on the winder before we left but this is still very clunky I don't like the sound of it at all the spare wheel bracket on the back also had cracked and lucky we stopped for a break as it was sitting on the bumper bar it could of been a lot worse we also experienced the roof cracking on all four corners this happened one by one not all at once and this was our main concern then we got into kings canyon we were greeted by a bloke from QLD he had a 2017 penquin 6 weeks old and low and behold had the same issues as us he came a different route than ours we got in touch with jayco on our return and pointed out our issues but of course our warranty had run out and yes we do accept that as they say in their warranty dirt roads not 4wd tracks but for a van that has only done 1 trip like this and only 2 years old really should not have these issues and all we got in a reply from jayco was take it to your nearest dealer to be fixed

Mooroolbark

• 2 answers
  • 7 helpful votes

Good budget option

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2017

We took our new Penguin around Oz last year. Most things performed above expectations for a budget buy. We had really no problems except for one major issue in outback WA when one night the roof wouldn't wind up on rear corner. Rang Jayco Assist but they were NO use telling us to take it to nearest dealer in the morning. Luckily the weather was warm as we had no option but to sleep outside in our chairs. After a very uncomfortable night we took the camper to the nearest Jayco dealer. They were so busy and told us it would be weeks before they could help us. Great!?!?!? So much for Jayco customer service! They did give us the name of a caravan repair place that may be able to help us.
Fortunately this place very kindly helped us and fixed the issue at our expense and we went on our way. No thanks to Jayco. Interestingly the guy said this camper should not be sold with air conditioner on the roof which we did have. After we got home months later we found a recall notice in the mail for the roof winding system. Too late for us warranty had expired. Except for this everything worked pretty much as it should and the Penguin performed well and was very easy to tow.

Model: Dove

2010 Jayco dove- cheap fittings

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2017

Hi - is anyone having issues the same as me with their fittings inside newer model jayco camper trailers?
My jayco Dove 2010 has ridiculous curtain attachments that don't slide along and are forever falling out of the slider pipe.
The silver pop out cupboard and drawer handles are always stuck shut and won't open.
And I hate the square short water tap....
Not like the lovely old gooseneck style in my 1980 jayco Dove that pumped beautifully.
I've just installed an electric pump as it takes ages to get the water to come through.
PS. Very impressed with reply service from Jayco themselves advising where to buy new parts and fittings.
Pity the product is crap in the first place...

Roof won't wind down

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2017

I have a problem with my Eagle Outback 2004 > I can wind it up fine, but when I wind it down it only goes a short way down and then the handle mechanism becomes totally loose (no tension at all the and handle winds very loose) and the roof remains up (approximately 80% of its full opening height). Luckily it is in my driveway at home and not out remote.
Any ideas what the problem is?
Otherwise, my Jayco has been great, travelled Cape York no problems at all!!

1 of 6 pages