Traralgon

Perfect dream home!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2018

Workmanship and build quality was absolutely fantastic. Build was very well managed. Customer support and service was magnificent! Really happy with how the overall build went. Would definitely recommend to others! Love living in my dream home! Thank you so much to all the friendly and helpful staff at JG King for making the building process an enjoyable and exciting experience.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Alison, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very pleased to hear that your experience has been a positive one and the level of customer service has been outstanding. We wis... read more »

Ballarat

Our First Build!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

This was our first time building and to say we were a little nervous would be an understatement given all the horror stories you read about but we honestly couldn't be happier with the end result! We initially decided to build with JG King because of their steel frame construction. Our experience throughout the entire build was a dream come true thanks to our amazing site supervisor [name removed]! He went above and beyond throughout the entire build. Nothing was too much trouble for him. His communication during the entirety of our build was second to none. He kept us up to date and informed on the progress of our build and was always available to take calls or returned them when he couldn't. We, like many others, did have a couple of issues during the build but the way [name removed] handled them really made all the difference and made it stress free for us. Any issues were fixed straight away without any hassles and our home was completed just as we had envisaged and ahead of schedule as well. He really made our build journey such an enjoyable and exciting experience that we will never forget! [name removed], we can't thank you enough!
We really hope you reward and recognise your staff, like [name removed], appropriately as it is people like him that make all the difference to uphold your brand and reputation.
All the JG King staff at your Ballarat office from start to finish were great to deal with. From your receptionist [name removed], to our Sales Consultant, [name removed] who was very patient with our many changes and made some great suggestions we hadn't even thought of and [name removed], our Contracts Administrator was a pleasure to deal with and was always available when needed.
We have been in our new home for just over a month now and it is everything we could have ever wanted! The quality of the build is fantastic and if I really had to pick on something, it would be the painting - in certain light, you can see some areas that need a bit of touch up but other than that, we really can't complain.
We would definitely build with JG King again and would recommend them to anyone thinking of building.
Thank you [name removed] and JG King for building our dream home!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi MaSaLiLo, Thank you for your wonderful review and congratulations on building your very first home! We are thrilled to hear that our team have provided you with such a positive building experie... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2017

Solid Performance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

This is our second home that Kings have built for us. The first was in 2010 and I would not be truthful if I told you it was hassle free. However even though we had issues, the company stuck by us and remediate the issues from the poor trades. Because of this we decided to build with them again in 2017. This time we had hardly any issues. The building supervisor [name removed] did a fantastic job keeping on top of the trades and keeping us informed at every stage of the build. He really worked with us to make sure we were informed and importantly satisfied with the work. [name removed] was also great, assisting [name removed] to hand over to us a well built, display quality home. Of course there were some defects that required attention, but when looking at the overall build, they were relatively minor cosmetic things. This didn’t matter, they were all rectified. We have built four homes over the past 20 years and compared to the other builders, Kings stand out as considerate and conscientious. They try really hard and deliver a good home with quality fixtures and fittings that are extras with other builders. As for price, great value for money with the benefit of a steel frame.

Don’t be discourage by other poor reviews for this company. We will definitely build with them again.

Thank you to the whole team at JG Kings. Graham and Elle, Gruyere

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Graham and Elle, Thank you so much for your positive review. Our team are very passionate about what they do and its great to read such kind words. We wish you all the very best in your new ho... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2018

Our "forever" home.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

We signed up with JG King Shepparton late 2017. [name removed], [name removed], [name removed], [name removed] and [name removed] made the initial start very easy and stress-free. Contract signed and then the fun began. Meeting with [name removed] (Site Supervisor) was better than we could hope for. He is professional, knowledge and will go above and beyond to "make it happen". All of the tradies have been excellent and [name removed] has chosen wisely to use them to build our home. We are almost about to move in and the next chapter begins. Thanks from Lois and Frank.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Lois and Frank,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very happy that your building experience was stress-free. We wish you all the best with your new home.

Bendigo

Great first build experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

This is the first new built home we have purchased, All other homes we have owned were established. From the start to the finish 6 months dealing with jg king has been a dream. All stages of the build completed on time and to our satisfaction, could not fault their customer service.would highly recommend them to any one building a new home. As long as you live up to your obligations under the contract they more than live up to theirs. great job jb king Bendigo.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Cab, we are delighted to read about your experience! Thank you so much for your feedback. We wish you all the best with your new home.

Wagga Wagga

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2014

Ongoing nightmare

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

We moved into our house built by JG King four years ago. Today, we are still trying to get a water leak in our main bathroom repaired which was identified at the time of the three month maintenance. They have replaced the vanity which was damaged as it was completely full of water behind the kickboard. They have resealed the shower several times. They have replaced the door frame, skirting boards in the hallway and spare room due to water damage. All of this is "patch up" work, without actually repairing the water leak itself. So now we have rotting door frame and skirting boards and I suspect water under the vanity again. There is a damp odour as you walk down the hallway. It is ugly and embarrassing having visitors seeing rotting boards in our new home. We have been in constant contact with JG King over the four years, endured several changes of area managers and had to start the process again with each manager. We have listened to so many empty promises of having the repairs done and it has taken a huge emotional toll on our family when we should be enjoying our home. I have emailed the complaints department and attached photos. Job no: 1211WOA217

I would not recommend JG King to anyone and regret recommending JG King to a couple of friends while we were still building as they have had issues as well.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Mel, we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused. Our complaints department has received your complaint and your regional office is aware of it. They will contact you directly to resolve all issues. Thank you.

Werribee

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2018

Quick to take your money, but slow in everything else!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

Started August 2017 and after a 6 week delay from site cut to slab pour, with pathetic excuses as 'it's too windy to lay a slab' and after 2 site supervisor in 2 months, the third SS got the ball rolling in October 2017 with the slab, frame, bricks and lock up done... but then that ball quickly slowed down and almost started going backwards.
After being told we would be in by the end of January 2018, that then changed to early March 2018.. then 100% we will be in by Easter 2018.. you guessed it.. we weren't! Told end of April it'll be ready for handover. The week of May 1st 2018, after extending our rental also and them going over our 8 month contract completion date, enough was enough. Our house was literally sitting here and nothing being done. It needed small things, like getting a driveway took 6 weeks to complete. We demanded handover for 11th May, as we had to hand our rental back over on the 15th May.
We agreed on the last few items to be completed within 14 days after handover (it is all in writing), almost 6 weeks later, trying to get ANYTHING done, is like getting blood out of stone. Nothing has been completed, our site hasn't even been cleaned! Trying to get answers from the site supervisor, you get told they will call you tomorrow and never do. Try calling head office and they just ring the site supervisor and say he will call you.. but doesn't. It's pathetic.
We are missing door handles on doors, insulation in the roof hasn't been done correctly, gaps between plaster and brick not filled, gaps between tiles and wall not sealed. Gaps around windows not filled. Toilet doors won't close... the list continues.

Something that was meant to be an exciting time for first home builders/owners, it has been nothing but stress, stress and stress.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi A_P, we are very sorry that you had to experience this. We would like to help you rectify all outstanding items. Could you please email complaints@jgking.com.au with all the details. Thank you.

Slowest build no answer & nothing moving on last 2 month

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

My home ongoing built by JG King and it was a great experience. This time, only one word to describe "disaster". Salesperson is great and ensuring that we have great experience even until after contract signing. But poor after sales person by the headoffice has been a nightmare
We signed the contract in early November 2017, and did our colour selection. There are a few hiccups during colour selection (with our selection not properly reflected, which we picked up the error before signing the paperwork). We understand there is always a human error.
Everything went well, when we anticipate our settlement to be. We drove past the house and saw that all is ready, however we were not told when is the walk through etc.
A delay was claimed by JG King as a result of this. Around early June, we would like to know what is the status. So we attempted to contact the head office as we could not get through to even on his mobile no
After that nothing happens, and we emailed four people including the site supervisor on the status. No one responded, the following days & one month from may to June nothing moved at side supervisor not answering the phone call last 1 month.
So we end up not handing over the property, which means another delay and no date in sight. This is ridiculous.
We paid so much money only to be left with feeling this way.
Others' experience may not be the same to ours.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Manish, we are very sorry that you hadn't received a proper response from our office. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further. Could you please email your contact details to co... read more »

• 2 answers

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2018

First home is a dream come true.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2018

Through our process the JG King Homes team in the Gippsland region have assisted our journey to build our first family home. The sales rep in our closest sales office of Warragul was very helpful and knowledgeable in the local area and was able to direct us in what we were looking for in an affordable family home.
We opted for their most affordable range the UP collection giving us the financial room to make the wanted upgrades and addon's, not at all giving away quality for the finished product.

The administration team were lovely and very helpful in our questions in understanding terms of the contract, we felt comfortable and felt the time was more personal then business.

Like most large projects there is bound to be hiccups. During the ordering process unfortunately the bricks we wanted and signed up for were no longer available. The team in Traralgon contacted us straight away and assisted us on demand to find the perfect brick, upgrading our selection at no further cost to achieve the best finish possible.

Our supervisor answered all of our questions promptly. During the process of the build there was another hiccup which was noticed by the supervisor. His keen eye for detail had caused a slight delay during the build but it was to ensure a quality build that was only to be expected, as a result we have a lovely home.
We had the ability to see our home every day during the building process as we lived not far from the site, the steel blue frame was an impressive sight.
We did have a hold up during the Christmas break as expected, building did not resume quickly enough though. In our local area there currently is a shortage if brickies. This conversation was not only between us and the supervisor but also common knowledge for our local area.
Even under pressure the process continued, we did go over our anticpated handover date by two weeks. Our superviser we felt was doing everything he could. His personal attributes and skills for the job was shown through the building process.

Once moved we had found some defects such as plumbing and also cabinet defects in one bathroom which we had not noticed before hand. Contacting the supervisor those defects were immediately made attention too and fixed.
They've continued to answer any questions weeks after handover. For eg. where plumbing was located when we began our landscaping.

In conclusion as a family we are very delighted to find the floor plan, style, façade (that has taken me back to my own child hood memories) and colour scheme. That has given us a sense of comfort, safety and enjoyment in a family home.

We've already and continue to highly recommended the Gippsland JG King Homes Team to anyone interested or considering to build a home or investment property.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Renee,

Thank you so much for your feedback. All the best with your new home.

• 11 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2011

Been living a nightmare for 5 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2018

(Please refer to my instagram for photos) Username: heart_broken_jgking_client

JG King

Despite me having made every effort to amicably solve and finalise this matter over the past 5 years with JG King, it saddens me that I still find myself in a position of owning a home that I am ashamed of and causes me much anxiety and embarrassment, in particular when I have guests.   The structural damage to my home is extensive where it is impossible for me to hide and/or for people to not notice.   It is very tiresome having to continually explain to guests why the damage has occurred and my frustration with JG King.  Many have suggested that I have simply been "too nice" in my dealings with JG King and because they are a corporation and I, just an individual, they are attempting to wear me down so hopefully, in pure desperation, I simply agree to their offer of partial rectification of their very substandard work.

At a very young age, I made the conscious decision to be the best person I could.  I did and do, work extremely hard and long hours which assisted me in achieving what I thought was going to be my dream, of building a new home.  At the very young age of 20, in good faith, I entered into a contract with JG King to build my home.  Sadly, within 2 years of my dream home being built, it was very evident that the structural integrity of the building had been comprised with large opened cracks appearing on walls, windows and doors being out of level causing them not to open/close properly, cornices cracked, open cracks in brick work (up to approx. 20mm) etc.   As a result of my personal investigations in engaging a building specialist and through those of JG King, it has unequivocally been determined that the structural integrity of my home has been comprised.
Unfortunately I am left with no choice but to publicly express my heartache and despair from what has now been a 3 year saga to get my house to a standard that I can be proud of.

I built with you guys at the age of 21 and within 2 years it was clear that there was something wrong with my house. Cracks started to appear everywhere and before I knew it I had doors and windows that wouldn’t close properly. THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE. Nearly everyone that walked into my house would question the damage - to a point where I would dread having people over.

It has been over 4 years since this was brought to the attention of JG King and we still can’t come to an agreement on the rectification of my home. I have plumbing reports stating there are still issues with the underground storm water and yet because there is a driveway or decking above, JG King won’t take responsibility.

I have windows and doors that won’t close properly and are no longer square yet JG King are only willing to patch walls and cut then replace parts of the cornices. I’m being short-changed on a home that should have been up to standard in the first place and that I could be proud of.

I’ve had to take time off work, lost sleep and changed my plans for inspectors, engineers and contractors to come to my house and yet still nothing is properly fixed! Now I’m expected to live in my house while contractors turn my house into a building site and I’m only getting half the rectification work that should be carried out. I don’t see how this is fair, emotionally I am so drained and tired. I signed a contract with JG King expecting to get a home that wouldn’t start falling apart within 2 years. To add salt to the wound not once have I received an apology for what has been a burden on life for nearly 5 years now.

I don’t see how a company can put someone through all this and still not take responsibility for their sub-standard work!

JG KING PLEASE HELP ME !!!

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Kris/Maree, We are really sorry that you had to experience this. We would like to look into this situation further, could you please email complaints@jgk.com.au along with your job number and co... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 6 helpful votes

Slowest build

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Job no : 1704MLA576
Started last year April for estimate and then sailing along till now. All neighbors have moved in who started with us. Frequent supervisor changes without information. [name removed] (SS) took over in Feb and I was happy at last someone understands me but it didn't last long after he left. Hope to hear if someone knows what's happening with my site and why it has taken a year for single story 21sq home.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Shujaat, We are very sorry to see that you are unhappy with the progress of your home. Firstly, thank you for providing your job reference number, as this is very helpful when reviewing your hi... read more »

JG King Homes Official

Dear Shujaat, We are very sorry to see that you are unhappy with the progress of your home. Firstly, thank you for providing your job reference number, as this is very helpful when reviewing your... read more »

Still waiting for progress on the build. First finish house's already under construction then take new projects.
Shujaat

• 8 helpful votes

Big let down for us.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2018

My home was built by JG King and it was a great experience. This time, only one word to describe "disaster". Salesperson is great and ensuring that we have great experience even until after contract signing. But poor after sales person by the headoffice has been a nightmare
We signed the contract in early April 2017, and did our colour selection. There are a few hiccups during colour selection (with our selection not properly reflected, which we picked up the error before signing the paperwork). We understand there is always a human error.
Everything went well, we paid our progress fees up until February 2018/March 2018, when we anticipate our settlement to be. We drove past the house and saw that all is ready, however we were not told when is the walk through etc.
Around April 2018, we started being anxious and enquire the head office, as the site supervisor ([name removed]) mentioned that he has passed on the property to a new site supervisor ([name removed]). There was no communication to us about this, not an email, mail or even a phone call. [name removed] also never returned our phone calls or emails.
Only then we were given an Origin gas form (early April 2018), which we have already signed back in April 2017 (last year) during the contract signing of which we were given the scanned copy as well.
A delay was claimed by JG King as a result of this. Around early May, we would like to know what is the status. So we attempted to contact the head office as we could not get through to [name removed] (even on his mobile), then we learnt that he is no longer with JGKing and a new site supervisor ([name removed]) is to be contacted. [name removed] said everything is good and on track with couple of fixing and should not be too far away from walkthrough and handover, which is a good news for us.
After that nothing happens, and we emailed four people including the site supervisor on the status. No one responded, the following days, we received an email requesting for final progess payment to be made, which is infuriating as we have to learn that the house is ready via an invoice (totally unexpected and a shock with limited time to liaise with financier).
We then decide to do a walkthrough after the invoice is raised and agreed on a settlement date of two weeks later (which is today).
Today, we rocked up on settlement and organise for our tradies for blinds, concrete and alarm/TV antenna for the same day. Was told that the main key was not included in the pack, and that they would provide us with the main key the following weeks!
I have a big concern, as JG King would have the master key which would allow them to enter the property. So, I said I am not handing over the cheque. The site supervisor ([name removed]) tried to assist us with getting locksmith but all the locksmith cannot make it that day resulting us in having to cancel our tradies appointment (Big let down), and we have to pay cancellation fees, which I will pass on the JG King.
We then would like to submit a formal complain as we would like to take over the house ASAP.
[name removed] referred us to [name removed] from the head office, [name removed] referred us back to [name removed]. This is going in a vicious circle.
We paid so much money only to be left with feeling this way.
Imagine if we are living interstate and coming over to Melbourne to do a handover! Luckily we are not!!

Others' experience may not be the same to ours, but at least this is how I felt during our second built with JG King. JG King has just lost the plot, and we will never build with JG King ever again. We recommend you discuss with JG King as for the processes before actually signing your contract!

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Kardina, We appreciate your feedback and we are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We like to investigate this further. Could you please email your job number and contact details to complaint... read more »

Would that change Anything? No-one has responded to my appliance installation request yet too. So any complains submitted I guess won't be responded too.

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 9 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2018

Please avoid this builder ....

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

JOB NO - 1703MLA466

Hopefully my review will help someone to make better decision

Did three months of research when finding a builder for our 1st dream home and was very excited when we found the builder building with steel frame offering 50 years of structure warranty.
Read reviews on product review with lot of negative reviews but my wife really liked the double storey floor plan they offering and we thought we wouldn't be one of them (disappointed customers) there would be many satisfied customers as well who didn't bother to review them and we choose them to build our home and guess what they proved as wrong. So here's what happened

Land titled in March
Deposit paid with sales consultant 15 March 2017
after they put our house on fast track
Colour and tender appointment 11th May 2017
Not sure if its a normal process how long would it take
no separate electrical appointment as you need to do this when signing with sales agent when you pay deposit and if you need one there is extra charge.
Finally contract signing 2 June 2017
After chasing up to get start date they have given 4th Aug 2017
Then that's where the delays started.
Pre pour 13 Sep 2017
and then 4 weeks of delay for getting frame delivered on site
Frame delivered 20 Oct 2017
Wrote a big complain to JG king official channel and hoping to someone would call me and apologised for all delays happening and work will start soon and guess what happened no on even bother to call me that's truly show how jg king value their customers really got shock when site manager told me there is no complain that he is been forwarded shows how bad the internal communications are.

Then another 6 weeks of delay for getting framer to put they frames up because they couldn't have enough tradies to get the frame up.

1st site supervisor changed and new supervisor called me to introduce and i was hoping might this supervisor will move quickly.

And finally when they came to put the frame up the site supervisor realises the slab they pour is not poured properly and sides on slabs are not even then another delay for getting that fixed so finally the frame got up on
21 Dec 2017.

Then next challenge is to get the bricks which was delivered on 12 Jan 2018
and then actual delays started they couldn't find any bricky because as per construction manager their are not many tradies who can work with steel frame double storey house realises me choosing steel frame was my biggest mistake.

No communications from site supervisor i have to chase it up every week to see if they have progressed anything last 4 weeks no work is been done and getting invoice for lock up stage. I cant expressed how painful the process was which hasn't finished yet.
My completion handover date was 5th of May 2018 which they are no way near only 65% work has been done and today called my site supervisor to check whats going on he advised he couldn't get any tradies to get scaffolding remove and due to lack of tradies and angry customers he is leaving Jg king and there will be new 3rd supervisor appointed for my house. The only thing they do on time or even before is sending invoices.
The receptionist was very rude they wouldn't even direct your call and tell you they will contact you when they will be back and you never heard from them. The liquidation damage they suppose to pay you when your house go beyond the deadline which will help you to pay your installments and rent at same time will be credited after they finish the house. My question is why i cant get that money now into my account when i needed the most. How i will manage to financial support me and my family
Everytime i go to the site i see all those houses started way after my house has already finished and people moved in really upsets and depressed me and realised i made a biggest mistake of my life by choosing JG king. They made our dream house a biggest nightmare.

PS Beware of all those 5 star rating comments on product review.com
their site hasn't even started and completion date is next year they haven't actual gone through real pain.
I wouldn't be surprised if JG king would give them extra discount for writing those comments or they are in bit hurry.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Raj, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very sorry to hear that your experience with us has been unpleasant. We understand that you have been communicating with our Constru... read more »

Looks like jg king doesn’t really care about their customers anymore I wrote a complaint in nov 2017 about all those issues not a single person contacted me to find what’s happening , things have b... read more »

Geelong, VIC

• 11 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2017

Absolute disappointment.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2018

What can one say about the builder being behind the project completion deadline by 6 months and displaying no sense of urgency in their approach to work? Perhaps because there is no pride in the build they provide.
JG King Geelong, belongs to the Master Builder Association, however from their unprofessional approach to management, to the inferior work provided by contractors and supervisors alike, it would be appropriate for Master Builder Association to audit this branch. Lies and excuses will not suffice, we’ve heard them all, and they have no place on a professional work site.
We have made a combined total of six official complaints to the management of the Geelong office and their Head Office, however the lack of response suggests that they were beyond any ability and willingness to remedy the points mentioned in them.
Since our build began on the 1st of February 2017, we have had to deal with 4 different building supervisors and 2 different regional managers at the Geelong branch. Each supervisor does not take ownership for the mistakes of the past supervisors and the problems remain unaddressed by the time the next supervisor takes over our build.
We find ourselves in a situation in which the current supervisor is requesting meetings during which we are required to point out each single fault inside and outside the house. There are plenty, too many, of those! What is the role of internal quality control? Do they have any? It appears not.
It was not the contractors, neither the management, nor the first builder’s supervisor, who noticed major faults in the construction. That was pointed to them by us - the owners. JG King even forgot the eaves! As other aspects of the build, i.e. incorrectly installed skylights, crooked windowsill, etc, - a full list of faults has been noted by the owners, and the Independent Building Inspector has been requested to provide final report upon completion of the house. The Independent Building Inspector has already provided a "Lock up Stage" inspection report in September 2017. The builder has not taken any action to rectify faults identified in report since then.
No compromises will be taken on our part in regards to the build.
On top of everything, there was a roof tile missing for over 10 months! Think about how much rain water has fallen through on to plaster ceiling during that time!
Avoid this company, take reviews into serious consideration, do not make the same mistake we did, there are many others which have respect for their clients. Do not think that through building a big property you might have a better experience - our house is one of the largest JG King has available.
During one of our most recent meetings with the building supervisor we were advised that the house completion date will be at the end of the year – not financial year, calendar year!
Job number 1507GEA003.
We will post an updated review once a progress has been made.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Vic1, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very disappointed to hear that we have let you down. We understand that you have been in communication with our Construction Manage... read more »

• 2 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2018

Have a plan B for completion date

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2018

4 month delay, complete lack of communication, multiple staff changes, an overworked site supervisor and now we're left to chase up issues on our own.On the plus side, JG King allowed us a mostly custom design- maybe the build side of the business wasn't adequately set up to deal with this.

Internally, the workmanship was pretty good. I'd advise not to pay the extra for additional coats of paint, though- it still doesn't come up as neat as I'd expect. Classic quote from the painter was "you expect a ferrari job but I'm getting paid for a commodore".
Externally, mismatched mortar, leaking sewer pipe under the slab, house water feed left on temporary pipe, external lights not installed- all stuff that we needed to chase up and organise for fix after handover. All defects were documented, the issue is that JG King won't chase up the fixes. There's still a bit outstanding, so we'll plug away, but the best scenario is to have all of this fixed before you moved in. Rookie mistake at my end selling my previous house with only a 2 month buffer, so took handover out of necessity.

JG King did pay liquidated damages for the delay in handover and there were no issues at all with this.

Another frustration was the use of a separate company for all electrical design and quoting- multiple requirements were either left out or mismanaged and it ended up turning in to a 'he said, she said' type situation when querying things left out. Luckily we had email proof of what we'd ordered (and paid for). Be careful in this area and get everything on email.

Serious improvements need to be made in the areas of communication and administration. Simple things like returning phone calls and updating build contact lists and any changes to this along the way would make a huge difference. JG King, someone needs to be accountable for the day to day build. I'm not sure that supervisors with 25+ builds on the go at any one time are either effective, nor supported enough, to be able to provide this service.

Handover date- add in a buffer and then some. Down the track, you'll have a really nice house, just make sure that you get everything that you pay for and that you try your best to hold JG King accountable to get it to this point.

I added 2 stars to my review as the design is great and JG King allowed the flexibility through the early design stages.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi DE05, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that your experience with us has not been so positive. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly take this on b... read more »

Thanks JG King Homes. I do love my new home, thanks. Thanks also for your offer to assist- if you could have someone get in contact to help us get the last few jobs over the line, that'd be a huge ... read more »

JG King Homes Official

Hi DE05, This is great to hear. It is from our understanding that our Construction Manager has left a message with you and we will assess the outstanding items and work with you to have all matte... read more »

Shepparton

• 1 answer
  • 7 helpful votes

Bad builder

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2018

We had very bad experience with our home we got our home started last year in August in shepparton but still we have not received key yet for our home and on Friday we have to vacant house were we leave and we ask for white mortar in brick they charge us $1000 extra but they haven't provided white mortar, when we ask they can't get white sand in shepparton but they not inform us. We are so upset at the moment. I don't know where we take our kids and luggage and furniture. Bad bad bad experience nobody take 10 months or more to build single storey home. We told our supervisor about we have to vacant house on 8 of April he told to extend till 29th of April then we extend till 4th of May but still don't when we ask can we put our furniture in car garage and we stay in motel even they don't let us to do that if we paid so lot of money for the house then what they think we will not pay last invoice or they don't trust their own work. Now we don't have anywhere to go supervisor did everything wrong not booked for occupancy permit before hand last Friday he did that now bank need time but what about us supervisor are wrong and we have to suffer for that.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Palvinder kaur, Thank you for your review. We are very disappointed to hear this and are very sorry for the situation you have been put in. Can you please provide us with your job number? We w... read more »

Hi sorry for late reply but we were busy because we received key for new home but i am still disappointed with mortar in brick because we paid for white mortar $1000 extra but they haven't inform ... read more »

Ballarat

• 9 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2016

21 months after completion and still not happy with a few things

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2018

The workmanship is shocking. Sewage smell in main bathroom on some days. Floor boards needed to be replaced.. this took 8 months to replace and are still blotchy with nail holes in beading filled with silicon instead of putty. Gas stove burner still not adjusted. Hot water service problems from day one, one way valve was fitted wrong so no input from solar panels for 18 months. Rear power point kept tripping when leads were unplugged... after visiting family overnight we lost a chest freezer of Xmas food due to it tripping when our Granddaughter unplugged her iPod and we did not notice, we asked for reimbursement because this was the third time the power point was replaced. No offer to replace lost food. Water from the driveway in front of the house is directed to the backyard and floods, even the plumber finds this strange. A tile was broken in main bathroom so a bigger washer was put on tap to hide it. Half of the roof was replaced because of incorrect fitting, problem was noticed after water ran behind gutters and eaves. Wrong pressurised downpipes used for storm water, plumbers used silicone instead of using correct pipe. Kitchen sink had to be replaced because it had deep scratches after being used as a work bench by tradies (have photos) Contract stated coloured concrete driveway, when I questioned why it was a standard concrete colour I was told it would be painted. I have not seen a painted JG king driveway yet. A dozen screws were sticking an inch out of roof, that took 3 months to fix. There was constant cracking in the walls inside, plasterers should have been paying rent they were here that often.. the building supervisor said there had been a lot of movement because of such a wet winter. No drainage was in place to take water away from the house during construction. I paid for tv aerial to be connected before handover, this was done two weeks after moving in.
I have been more than patient and it seems my patience is now being used against me. I contacted JG king homes 2 months ago to tell them that we are still getting smells from the main bathroom, that we have had to repair the hot water system ourselves ( because jk king and chromagen pass the buck) and that we would like reimbursement. The hallway floor boards have not blended in with the the ones that we’re replaced, I was told these will be unnoticeable in a few months. The nail holes in beading on the hallway flooring have not been puttied, I asked for touch up paint because what was left for us in used drink bottles had set in the first two months of handover, i only wanted it to touch up the mistakes they made. A plumber was sent around who said there was no smell and was unsure of the flooding in the back yard, he said he will report back to Jg king and will get them to contact me. After not hearing back from them after 2 months I rang again last week. The receptionist got [Name Removed] to call me back and that did not go very well. I mentioned each problem and received the exact same reply for each one, that too much time had passed and they would not do anything to rectify these issues. I mentioned that every one of these problems were raised in the first 3 months of handover and I have the photos and texts between the building supervisor and myself that show this is so. Well he was not interested and the conversation went sour quickly. He was rude and unprofessional to say the least. This house should have been a great thing but getting there has been a struggle. I gave JG king another opportunity to address these issues before publishing this review, 10 days have passed and no one has been around to look at the house. Go elsewhere. its not worth the headaches.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Fred, Thank you for your review. This is very disappointing to read and we are very sorry that the level of customer service delivered was not to standard. It is from our understanding that y... read more »

• 5 helpful votes

Untrustworthy Builder in Every Aspect

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2018

I was fed up with this builder when my house was just up to the construction document preparation stage, because of variations of plan, cost, and dropping promotional items of the contract. I signed up with this builder Nov 2016 for my first house at the display centre at Atherstone, Melton South. Land title was about 8 months away at that time. I signed up early with the builder because of their promotions like fixed house price promotion which was due to be end in few days. During sign up, sales rep offered fixed site cost, fixed house price for a period which was enough to cover expected title date with verbal assurance to extend the site start date in case of delaying land title few months.

Dilemma stated after land got titled. Builder couldn’t execute the initial plan on the contract mainly due to incorrect position of the house within the land. With the plan in the contract, house was against easement without enough clearance that the builder needs for sewerage pipe connection. They proposed about 3 variations to give me a plan close to the features in the contract plan. With these modifications, I was not informed any cost increment involved. After they got my approval for modification work, they kept issuing me invoice after invoice. Once construction plan was finalised to send to construction team, I received another big invoice with $ 8860 house price increment. The reason was fixed house price promotion was invalid due to delay in land title more than 6 months, therefore dropping the promotional item from the contract, which was totally contradicted to what sales rep agreed during signing up. The builder should have advised me about these changes (and revised the contract) before begin any work after land title.

Signing up early with them with uncertain land title date was a utter mistake and promotion was just a trap. I felt like contract was one sided. They charged me $2000 for single custom change of plan where as the builder changes, downgrades plans as they wish and drops contract items with make up reasons. Therefore, this builder has been very stressful for me. Beware of this builder if you have no experience in building, don’t get trapped with promotions because your dream home will be just a dream with this untrustworthy builder.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi S A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are disappointed to read that we have let you down.

Can you please provide us with your job number? We would like the opportunity to investigate this further.

Kind Regards,

Hi JGKH,

Job number is 1610MLA128. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
S A

JG King Homes Official

Hi S A, Thank you for providing your job number. We are very sorry to hear that your experience has not been positive. Please understand that any delays incurred to your land are at the fault of y... read more »

Wodonga

• 12 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2018

Good home prices but extremely bad customer service. Never ending wait . Don’t finish houses on time

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2018

We are building our home in wodonga. We started with good staff like [name removed] and [name removed]. But they left the company and it is a nightmare since then. We go to property eveyday two times. Work is done only one day or half day in a week. Sometimes no one goes there for weeks. According to the contract, the number of non working days (except public holidays, Saturdays and Sundays) is 0. But if i count all these days together, when work was not done on our property, will be more than 4 months altogether. i have a child, i am studying and working as well. My husband also works fulltime. Whenever we asked the staff they are saying that our house will be finished in 6 six weeks. We are hearing this since January 2018 and it is already nearly 4 months. My husband’s holidays has been cancelled as we don’t have date. Who will move my house and they are still saying 3 more weeks. Our lease has finished and and new tenants are moving within next 2 weeks. Jg king should be honest about the date so we didn’t have to arrange everything again and again. Don’t give us false dates. If workers are not sent to the property it won’t be finished till eternity. We have no excitement now. We are really frustrated and we have already advised our friends not to go through JG king if you want your house on time. The price for our dream home was good they actually beat the prices of other builders but at the end it is same as we are paying mortage and rent, double electricity and water bills. And its been nearly 9 months. So at the end of the day we saved nothing. Plus we are gifted with this false promises of 6 weeks or 3 weeks moving period. Anyone who still wants to build with jg king, i will suggest you that you make sure you get your date in writing. I mean actual date not the number of days and ask them before hand whether the work will be done 5 days a week or one (except weather conditions).

Very very disappointed with JG king. Won’t make this mistake when we will build second house in future.

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Jasneet Kaur, We are very sorry to read this and we are disappointed that you feel we have let you down. Can you please provide us with your job number? We would like the opportunity to invest... read more »

Carisbrook

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2018

Beautiful home

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

Our building experience with JG King was great and we are very happy with our new home. [name removed] from Ballarat Office was excellent with helping us initially deciding home design. Our supervisor [name removed] always kept in contact and addressed any questions we had. We commenced our build in September 2017 and with only a two week break over Xmas we had handover on 29/3/2018.Overall the quality of work is good and that comes back to having an excellent supervisor, we had a couple of little issues but they were addressed.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Deejay, Thank you so much for your positive review. Our team are very passionate about what they do and its great to read such kind words. We wish you all the very best in your new home and ho... read more »

1 of 13 pages

Hi can anyone tell me the price difference from H1 TO H2 SLAB for 214 m2 home?

Lisa asked on May 22, 2018

Do they do knock down rebuild?

LukeCollins asked on May 09, 2018

Answer this

I am not sure about it but i think they do

Yes they sure do

Hello all, very concerned about the reviews. Can anyone give feedback on building with JG King in Ballarat? Really want to get some confidence of the group or maybe look for another builder? TIA

Geoff_B asked on May 01, 2018

Answer this

Like wise mate, wouldn't mind hearing from people that have built out of the ballarat office.

My build story JG King.
_________________________________________________________________
I written this post on over the course of my build with an intention of 5 star rating (I am sending it to forums. But will be posting it only 3 months after handover. It’s with JG King now to keep up the 5 star from here as we go into crucial stages of Build.

House: Sage (33.1 Sq) @ Wyndham Vale.
Job Number: 1704MLA586
Construction Start date: October 17
Base Stage: Dec 17
Frame stage: Feb 17
Lockup: Mar 17
Fix out: Apr 17

Given No Driveways, Downlights, flooring , cooling. So expecting a faster finish.

Feedback:
Generally takes a bit of time (I have noticed 3 houses built by JG king) but also depends on your luck (Rocks, Weather and of course tradies)
Quality of construction so far is good (too early to give a credit?) but I like it so far except for the below.
I don’t have much to say about the Carpenter looks like he’s working multiple jobs and working only few hours a day ; made lot of damage to plaster walls while fixing skirting which otherwise is a quality build until then.
In contrary to most feedbacks I will give credit to admin team so far on the responses; I always received a response within 24 hours.

PCI Date: Yet to hear back.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Apr 17 - Booked Deposit

Sales Consultant @ Groove, tarneit was helpful to get the right house of my liking.

I had an irregular block so the sales consultant suggested we can also fit a wide variety of houses and he sent me a list of 7+ designs that would fit on my block. We actually liked the
Sage fit on my block instead though i was thinking of Adelphi 1. Helped me choose the upgrade options carefully with in my budget.

May 17 Contract signing:
Was a good experience i had a list of 20+ items to be changed and the admin consulatnt helped me get all of that and advised few areas where she had concerns.
Ex:
1. Though i wanted a double vanity she advised it will look congested (for few people) on a 33 sq house. But Mrs wanted a double vanity so gone by that.
2. Suggested to get a cavity door for 250$ to avoid visibility WIP as the design had a large open area living for Kitchen , Meals and living.

Signed up for Electricity and Gas with origin with an option i can change it at the end of build and was explained i need to pay for EB, Gas and water during the build.

June 17 Color appointment:
1. Pre-decided from website options and the color appointment was good though I felt a bit rushed but got what I wanted.
2. Changed multiple items with in my budget in during color appointment.

Feedback: Improve online selection tool. Increase color appointment timing. Provide a Visual tool possible for home buyers to see how it looks.

June 17 Further changes:
1. Requested for further changes in electrical and few other options and they were happy to do it as its not structural..
From June to September the fun starts for developer and council Approval. Developer returned the plan more than 5 times to change brick, Facade and Cladding to a point that made me think Who’s paying for the house? In the end I liked another facades and brick (Not an upgrade) so didnt end up in a fight which I was told to be an losing battle as developers guidelines has to be followed.
Developer approval took till September as the approving authority was on vacation. :(
Council approval started shortly after that.
October 17:
All excited for tradies to start which is short lived as we cannot locate the Fourth peg which according to the developer was buried under the fence. But supervisor was not interested taking their words (as mine is irregular block) and wanted the developer to locate the fourth boundary or mark it on the fence else do a re-establishment survey($800-$1000).
Developer was not initially helping saying once the land is settled its my problem and he cant help. But later after product review private compliance they helped but took their time.
My ADVICE TO ANY NEW LAND BUYER IS TO ENSURE YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED ALL 4 BOUNDARY PEGS and no Rocks or Dump on site before you settle your land. After settlement its your problem.

November 17:
Site Cut , Drainage Pipes, Piers and slab preparation.
Hit 20K worth or rocks and was not happy about it. I would strongly recommend JG King to provide a fixed rock prices in their site cost so new home builders are not worried. Its my view that the customer experience will greatly improve with locked in pricing.

December 17:
Slabs poured on Dec 20.
Frames delivered to site but no work happened till Feb 6th. The tradie that supposed complete framing before christmas did not show up and my supervisor has to find a different one after he came back from holidays.

January 18 :
No Work :(

February 18:

Frames Installed, Roof covering, Pipes run through frames.
March 18:
Brickie started laying but then work stopped for almost four weeks.
Rough in wrap around the house complete, heating ducts , solar panels for Hot water installed.
Noticed and reported to supervisor that sliding windows were not closing properly for which he advised he’s aware of and will be fixed when carpenter comes in for doors.

April 16, 2018:
Supervisor and Accounts team advised that they want reverse lockup which is installing the plaster walls prior to external wall cladding is complete. I was initially reluctant but had no choice as the contract had a special clause condition for reverse lockup.
Insulation and Plaster walls are complete the first week of April. And another brickey started from second week of april and almost close to finishing external brick cladding. (as of 16/04/2018)
Cornices complete and carpenter started cutting for doors and cavity sliding doors, electrical wirings were completed
Waiting for the sliding windows to be fixed.
The quality of construction so far seems good.
My supervisor advised that the house should be completed by End of May if tradies show up as expected or can be delayed for a couple of more weeks. Exciting times. Cant wait for handover.

Apr 20 Update:
Batten light points and switch points were cutout for walls and roof. Getting ready for Painting i assume.

As per SS Kitchen and cabinets should have been in by Apr 18 but still not in.
Tiles for wet areas was scheduled for yesterday. Will drop by today to have a look.

Apr 30th Update:
Got the invoice for fix out ; but still skirting and architraves were not done. After I reported the invoice was void and got a new one on May 2nd.

May 5th update:
Carpenter didnot do a good job in my view lot of gaps in windows and made 50+ dings on the plaster wall while moving the skirting. Now poor supervisor has marked all of them (Painful process i believe for the pre-painting guy to address them).
No other work has been done other than skirtings :(.

Will update how it goes.
May 1st and 2nd week:
Not much going on except stonebenchtop ; was advised pre-plastering work will be completed this week. But no signs of tradies @ site until last evening.
BTW SS on leave from 8th to 31st 
Paid fixout with a trust that build will be completed; with only 20K to pay and # of reviews suggesting delays i'm concerned too.

Pending items to my knowledge to get to PCI; Have low confidence it will be done by End of May.
1. Downpipes for Gutters
2. Alfresco, Portico and Verandah ceiling.
3. Garage door to house internal door not fixed, Ensuite toilet door not fixed.
4. Skirtings not fully finished yet( garage and other small areas)
5. Window architraves for one of the windows need to be adjusted.
6. Tilings not started.
7. Concrete slab for Alfresco, Portico , Verandah
8. Door Handles
9. Sliding doors
10. Painting
11. Facade cladding and rendering.
12. Batten lights for kitchen.

am noticing three houses (Mine, My neighbour and other opposite to my rental current house) and all of them follow a similar pattern. Hope this helps in making a decision.

BTW, My neighbour house finish was good...

Look for another builder,beleive these reviews poor workmanship,dishonest and very stressful . biggest mistake i have ever made

See all 102 questions about JG King Homes