Ballarat

• 7 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2016

Oh my head hurts

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2016

Time from signing to finish ... 10 months ... not the build, but start up date due to JG Kings incompetency. In hind sight should have bailed out at the start and gone elsewhere as it was really only a sign of things to come.

Hassled by their finance dept ... unsure why ... to my knowledge I never requested/authorised this ... perhaps a breach of privacy issues here.

Salesman was fine until we signed ... then didn't want to see us ... (no surprises really) headaches a plenty ... originally told we could have one facade in the area where we had the land ... came back with oh you need to appeal ... for the cost of $$$. We thought oh well can't have that go with another ... draftsmen struggled totally ... tried to advise it was a detailed job ... for goodness sake the facades would be in blocks in the autocad system should take no more than 30 mins... good try. Draftsman also stuffed up the amount of tiles needed ... so oh surprise a variation was incurred ... The word Novice comes to mind.

Then due to the draftspersons mistake ... two plans indicated one facade (which we wanted), and one which we did not ... guess which one we got ... yep the wrong one ... advised it was an upgrade and it is but when we were looking I can remember being told of the price and thought (thank goodness I don't like that one) ...
Flooring needed to be redone, shody job
Cupboard inserts - incorrect ones installed (this has been rectified).
Drain pipe going to the outside of the building near the light is too close to light ... like really must have been a man on this one no common sense ... does not allow a fitting of a protective shade over the light ...
It is like nobody was reading the plans or paying any attention to them ...

Color selection as always painful, could increase the options available. Small range of carpet ... believe it was unusual that you pick the cupboards, paint before the tiles/flooring ... I always thought that you started from the floor up (as most stylists) ... went into do this but no ... definitely their way.

Biggest tip (my mistake): remember the IXL tastics - these are not included ...

Go into the office to talk to draftspeople ... like no way ... human contact ... guess it is not a strong point. Office staff unhelpful, need a lesson in customer service ... advised we can only deal with the supervisor (who was either attending training ./ ill / annual leave). Communication is not a strong point..

Also, may be my humour, but must they draw male private parts on windows ... really not necessary ...

Do not refund for variations not taken up, so may pay to watch but mind you they are pretty quick to charge for variations, etc. no surprise though I am guessing this is standard with whoever you build with.

Then paid by personal cheque ... even though the head office is based in Ballarat, it is sent to Melbourne ... this in my mind was a deliberate act of maliciousness by the office staff to delay the cashing ... e.g. 8 days ... not the usual 3 days... so this would delay the handover. It only creates bad vibes ... I should have just paid in cash like I wanted to ... in hindsight all in $5.00 bills would have been the way to go ...

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2017

VERY slow start-but on the way now

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 03, 2016

We first signed with Kings in December 2015 and only this week (November 2016) our building will be started, but if not for [name removed] we would still be waiting in December 2019.
Let me tell you about it.
Our first contact was in Shepparton, where we expressed our initial interest, first plan too big for block, many plans and 3 supervisors later, still no closer to commencing.
Then along comes [name removed], our knight in shining armour and within about six weeks he has new plans, council approval, contracts organised and a building commenced, we can't speak highly enough about his professional and helpful approach, contacting us regularly on all progress, so now we look forward to the actual build.
John and Maureen Batson

Melbourne

• 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer

House itself and products are good, however alot of workmenship issues and also communiction was poo

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2015

Customer service before final build was poor and excellent in different ways. On one hand we never got taken through the house at any stage, only for the completed inspection, never received progressive phone calls during build, in the whole time of the build the site supervisor called me once. All other times I had to call him to ask how it was going and other enquiries, only good service we had was at the head office when we completed colour selection, that was very enjoyable, professional, quick and easy, also the initial consultation at the display house. The gentlemen we dealt with was outstanding, he pretty much sold us into buying with JG King. Too bad our experience with the build wasn't as good.

Way too many workmanship issues, between 10-15. So many things were just simple small things but weren't acceptable which had to be fixed. Then there were 2-3 much bigger issues that in some way when brought to the attention at the inspection, were pretty much brushed off as problems to maybe in a way be avoided to not have to have them fixed. That made my partner and I very frustrated and angry. We paid very good money for this house and to have to pretty much fight to get things fixed to standard is just ridiculous. We paid for the house that we saw at the display house, we should be getting a house just as good as the display house.

The management of the build was good to an extent. Things were getting completed in reasonable time but biggest problem was we had a major screw up in our ensuite, which still is in the process of getting fixed (12 months later). We have been forced to use our second bathroom every day for the past 2 months which is located at the opposite end of the house (very inconvenient). Also I seem to be the one organizing the tradies to when they can come and complete work. There isn't a JG King representative who is behind the fix and is liaising with me, I'm doing all the work having to contact three different parties in the fix. The company that removed and need to reinstall the shower glass panels, the man who removed the tiles and has to waterproof the walls, and the plasterer who had to fix the wall damage from the tiles and mirror that got taken down.

Everything after the build regarding repairs and fixes that had to get rectified, had to be pushed by myself through phone calls and emails. If I never done either of them I would be surprised that they would of been fixed at all.

This review isn't to make JG King look bad at all. They do build beautiful quality homes, but there service needs to be much better than the experience my partner an I went through with our build. Firstly we should have had much more frequent communication and inspections throughout the build. It was pretty much non existent for us. Which left us in doubt and never gave us a chance to pick up on problems which could have been rectified at that stage of the build instead of waiting until the end and having to get 10-15 problems fixed. Seems like money was wasted having to bring in tradies after the build rather than during the build while it was getting completed. This process also caused us to have to be available so many times while living in the house for tradies to come in and do there fix or repair. Fixing these problems during build stage would have let my partner and I enjoy our time in the house rather than having to bring random people in so many times to fix things.

From what we gathered the site inspector seemed to be overloaded with multiple houses to manage which didn't allow him the sufficient time and effort for the best job to occur with our home. Investing money in this area would probably prevent so many errors in the build which only caused more costs for the business in terms of materials and paying people to do work that could have been right from the start. This seems like a no brainer, that's what I would be doing if it were my business.

To finish on a positive note, my partner and I are finally enjoying the home and do feel proud to show it off to our friends and family. We just cant wait for our ensuite to be back to normal but after that all work is complete (we hope). We just really wished it was a much smoother ride which is what we honestly believed we were going to get from the enthusiasm and professionalism from our consultant.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

so excited

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2014

I am building a double storey ATHENS I just finished all the paper work till now everything has gone smoothly. the customer service was good. I build in Melbourne west the construction will commence this month regarding the works man ship quality I will update once my house is complete.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

ok

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2013

Can't say anything exactly at this stage becoz they are going to start building our house atlast next week after a long wait. So far our experience with them is fine apart from they took so much time to start. The base price of the house we have choosen is high, so we are expecting good quality in everything. Will update my reviews when they will start build.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Torquay

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 4 helpful votes

Confused

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2012

We are building in the Torquay area. Things went well but slowly at first. The build did not seem to follow any particular order. Plastering started before brickwork completed. Insulation installed before heating ducting. This resulted in some weather damage early on. Interior nearly finished now but exterior still incomplete as we had issues with the workmanship of the unsupervised apprentice on his first job. I assume they are looking for a replacement to complete the job but don't know for sure as we haven't heard from them for over three weeks and nothing much seems to be happening.
Issues raised earlier have been dealt with but the list of items needing attention is growing as the build
nears completion. With a bit of logistical planning and communication the build could have been much smoother but each contractor creates extra work for the next. Hopefully nothing major from here on in that can't be easily rectified.
We were contacted yesterday after this review was published and updated on planned progress.
We are meeting with the site supervisor on Wednesday next week to inspect the job so I'll update the progress after the meeting.

+ Good plans. Plan alterations accomodated. Allowed independent flooring contractor access during the build.

- Reverse build. Plastering up before exterior walls. Slack contractors who don't read plans.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update from the first post. Completed handover today. All sixteen issues outstanding were dealt with to our satisfaction. It was frustrating watching work being redone to get it right when, with a ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2010

Reading some of these posts, most are negative, however my experience of rebuilding in the Kinglake Ranges, although impeded by bad winter weather, is an overall pleasant experience, mostly due to an excellent construction supervisor, [name censored].with support of his manager. Preliminaries were somewhat slow,and mostly caused by a "reactive" building commission changing the building code with legislation that constantly changed in the early days, delaying my contract. Once construction started, the supervisor went into full swing and soon I will be back into a home well earned. Well done to the team at JG King Homes for a diligent job, in very difficult circumstances.

+ Pricing, The Kinglake Construction Supervisor

- Wet Weather

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

Not much I can say really just dissappointed from start and should have went with another builder but it was too late, they cant even return calls or anything, must be on top of them all the time

+ kitchen looks great but it is the colours we choose, went with the caraway 175 but changed it to suit us,

- Time, the are really slow as it took 3months to get contracts, they dont understand dates the never stuck with a date that they gave us, went to be in this friday but looks like another week, very disappointed, will not be building with them again and suggest anyone else not to start

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

Just wondering if anyone on here has built with JG King Homes in Traralgon Victoria? My husband and I just gave them a deposit today and are happy so far but by reading your comments we are beginning to feel a little worried. I've heard bad reports about JG King in Melbourne...but how about Traralgon?
We have just lost thousands with New Dimension Homes and would NOT recommend them. Please any feedback would be appreciated. thanks.

+ Good deals...friendly staff

- not sure yet..hoping you can tell us.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

How many times has J G King been taken to DBDRV and VCAT this year? It seems every time l look at the court list its some compiling about J G Kings. Wouldn't it be easy to build homes like you promised and on time? Why do your customers have to put complaints in writing when you don't acknowledge them in writing?

Andrew asked on Aug 29, 2018

Answer this

Hi there, thanks, yes JG King doesn’t want to pay. Due to poor site maintenance the site was served a breach notice, and JG King didn’t pay. DBDRV and VCAT is certainly the next step to keep things moving

Hi Rebecca we are in 3658 and beleive it or not we have had it worse 642 days and they didn't finish our home. But they don't care not even an apology. We served them with a 14 days notice to terminate the contract they didn't even respond. The good news is that if enough people complain to the master builds association they will be kicked out of it. If enough people complain to A Current Affair they will do a story on them and that will expose them. But every one should take them to DBDRV and write to the Martin Foley Minister for housing.

Building a home is a journey. Not a destination. JG King Homes certainly did not care. I hear your frustration and stress. This is tooooooo bad! Steel Frame will rust in rain.

Hi. I have signed the contract to build a home with Jg king on 28 june 2018. Made all payments required on time, includind 5% deposit. 2 months gone and nothing happened. Now someone from jg king office rang and notify price increase because the construction didn’t start withing 12 months. Is this appropriate? We feel the company should be responsible for all the delays! Paul

Fairness asked on Aug 28, 2018

Answer this

Hi Paul, can I get your Job Number and I will direct this query to the right office and person that can help you.

Thank you.
JG King Homes

Thank you for your quick response. Job no 1707GEA303

Hi, Please make sure you select a building inspector before you make a progressive payment!! I can see here JG King seemed do not rectify their faulty work and produce construction delays.

How long will take to bulid a house like the display house in werribee? Thank you

Awet asked on Jul 30, 2018

Hi Awet,

Build time frames vary due to a range of different factors such as house design, size, specification etc and these are for construction time frames only. This does not include the time taken from land settlement.

Kind Regards,
JG King Homes

My Timeline with JGKing:
Paid deposit 10/5/2017 : That is 66 Weeks since paying deposit.
Building commenced: 10/10/2017: That is 48 weeks and still on going.

Hi Awet, currently 3030 postcode experiencing delays. Have you seen there are SS leaving the job at the moment? Get your own Inspector before you make a payment. otherwise, JG King doesn't care about you. If there is rectification work need to be done, they are the cost to the Company. JG King will be reluctant to rectify. This is well known to JG King Homes. They just won't do it!!

See all 106 questions about JG King Homes