Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2017

We are half way there and So far so good !!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2017

Ok, straight off the bat we had a pretty slow start but I believe JG have done everything they could to make up the time. I made it clear when we signed up we needed it done and by mid Dec and so far it looks like they are going to make it but we will see. Since the start of the project I have called the supervisor more than he has called me which is not Ideal especially as we work away. I have a close look when I get back to make sure all is good. I noticed an update hadn't been picked up for my gas bottle location which they quickly rectified and I was far from impressed about the so called reverse lock up stage, which by the way should not happen with out discussing it with the client first. It was too late when we realised this was done. The risk is far to high in the winter / Wetter months for reverse lockups. I'd rather be 2 weeks late waiting for bricks than have plaster around window and door openings getting wet from rain.

I assessed it last week and luckily all was ok. A little more communication would be beneficial. The site itself when I was there a week ago was messy in some areas Rio in the grass, offcuts from the frame stage and general rubbish which is an easy fix and should be monitored and dealt with more closely. I'm staying optimistic though and that's part of the reason I have given 4 star rating but I'd expect the finishes to be of the highest quality and being in the construction industry myself as a Tier 1 Site Manager I'll be defecting the property very closely. Demand updates and excellence.

Regards Rick Stewart

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Rick, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Receiving feedback from our clients helps us to continually improve in all areas. We are disappointed to hear that the hig... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2017

Gol gol glamour

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2017

Very happy with JG King & the team! This was our 2nd build with king. We chose a larger home design & utilised the alpha upgrade (plus some custom design choices). Jg King have an excellent attention to build quality & helped produced a glamour finish. The build was Managed very well - there were some delays (as per tradies) but generally good. The Customer service was good & we were always kept up to date & in the loop.

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Quality Build

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2017

My husband and I signed up to build with JG King well before our land titled. Everyone we dealt with was fantastic until we changed site supervisors half way through the build. Once this happened our house basically had no work done to it for like 3 months!!! As everyone says if you have an awesome site supervisor great which we had an amazing one for the first half but then we got a bad one. By the end of the build we were so damn happy the whole ordeal was over! We love the quality and design of our home but the end of the build not so pleasant dealing with an aggressive, arrogant and unpleasant Site Supervisor who I certainly wouldn't be happy if I had a business with him worker there.

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2015

Good House

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 25, 2017

We built we JG King and while we had some administrative problems at the beginning,the build process was very good. We had a 'average' foreman and a very good administrator throughout the build. There seemed to be a lot of staff changeover through our build but the new regional manager Rory Nelson went out of his way and was very approachable from the get go. We would definitely build with JG King Albury/wodonga again in the future.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Dec 2015

First Home Builder

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2016

This is our first home and we have decided to build with JG king because of its known quality designs and themes. We had a very helpful and supportive sale person ([name removed] @ Melton Display) who helped us make the right choices on the designs. He was very encouraging and was always prominent with his job to guide us with building our new home. Also the selection process was very smooth, we had a very good interior designer from JG king who constantly helped us with the designs for our home. Our financial advisor (Victoria Finance) from JG King was excellent and had an outstanding service of making this process quick and easy.

Overall the management team was terrific but when it came to the building phase, we had many issues with the contractor on the quality of the house. Our major problem we had was that we selected the mortar colour to be pure white and when the contractors were up to this process in the building phase, they have put the grey mortar instead of the white mortar. I confronted the building supervisor about this issue and he said that it is supposed to be like that and the colour of the mortar would change when it dries. Unfortunately the colour has not changed at all. We arranged a private building inspector and he said that the colour would not change because as from the beginning itself the contractor did not put the right sand. We had asked them for a solution to this problem which was to render the front side of the house and they said that this could not be possible. We are devastated to hear this because we had chosen a very expensive and upgraded bricks and the overall finishing of the exterior of the house is very bad quality.

The box gutter near the façade is not professionally fixed and this issue also we mentioned to the maintenance team but we have not received any information, we are still waiting for these problems to be resolved.

Terence and Nissy

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2016

Second Build with JG King - Would use this company again.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2016

Very happy with the service from start to finish.

A few minor hiccups during the build, but they were rectified along the way. Really good trades, however the painter walked off the point toward the end of the job! Not any fault of JG Kings, but as fore-mentioned this was sorted quickly. Finished build way ahead of schedule.

The site supervisor was always more than obliging to answer questions, and fix any problems as they arose.
The soil conditions at Deniliquin are highly reactive clay. Screw piers were used and seem to be working well at this stage.

This is our sixth build in total, including owner builds, and the Second build with JG King. We would, and probably will build again with this company. A work colleague walked through the house and has now changed their plans to the same ours, as they were impressed with the layout of this design. 'copy cat!'

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2015

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2016

I would recommend JGKing homes to anyone looking to build new home,Good quality of materials and work man ship in most areas. however suggests to do building inspection on every stage which will help Supervisor to be more cautious of work doing
The sales consultant([name removed]) was so helpful to chose right plan and required extras, I would like to thank him for his all assistance
Final inspection finished without much problems and during and after maintenance period ( first 3 mths)the maintenance supervisor arranged to rectify all small problems that come out without delay, thanks

• 17 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2008

Best thing to happen to Kings

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2016

Eight years ago we built with Kings and had the worst time ever and have spent a lot of time, money and energy fixing these issues due to very bad customer service people employed by them in the Albury Wodonga area. But this year that has changed and they have a new area manager, [name removed], (Kings you are stupid if you remove his name as he is what is saving your reputation in this area). He has been fantastic to deal with and is fixing things the right way and been nothing but highly professional and a great help. Would have been great to have had [name removed] around right from the start.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Sep 2016

So happy with our new home

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2016

I was so concerned about building a home again was but totally happy with outcome of the house the level of workmanship was very good
Our sales guy was execellent in giving us advice on changes we made to house and our supervisor was so helpful in all stages of the build and after he is one person that made building the house enjoyable
Our only concern was some of the office staff just weren't helpful and supportive

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Well Built Home!!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2016

We first went into another builder and felt pushed to pay a deposit. This turned us straight off! I stopped in at JG King as I hadn't heard much of them before besides them having a steel frame.

The Sales Consultant was busy with another customer but still took the time to say hello.

We found the display in Geelong to be similar to what we needed but ended going to the Craigieburn Display. This was exactly what we were after and worked well with the views we have from our block.

My Husband and I were happy to wait and requested information which lead to a quote. Before we knew it we had paid our deposit and started the process.

The only down fall to date was the paperwork took some time but in saying that we did make a few design changes which probably delayed things.

Now that we are underway on site, we are more comfortable to post our experience for others.

Thank you to JG King and the team in Geelong!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Barham

• 3 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

All Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 07, 2013

We are in middle of build and all very good. The design we chose was perfect for our requirements and the display home in Bendigo was beautiful. The salesperson was exceptional in her service and most helpful in assisting with upgrades and other choices. The administration team has also been exceptional in their customer service. The building supervisor is very professional and has made it very clear that if we have any questions or concerns to contact him directly and a solution will be obtained.

It is a shame that these forums are hijacked by whingers. I notice that Doagoodjob comments on nearly every review, but hasn't even used J G King. This is unfair and not what reviews are for, as it does not allow for accurate information...please leave the comments for real people with real experiences.

+ Great plan, sales staff and helpful all around

- A little slow in getting things moving

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Hi Frustrated I Am. I am sorry to hear that. I can only hope that things get better for you. We are still very happy with our building experience and we may be the lucky ones, but I can only com... read more »

The build was completed and we are extremely happy. We are in our dream house and all staff at JG Kings have been extremely helpful. The building supervisor was great and a pleasure to deal with.

How disappointed are we now that the build has been finished. Anyone using J G Kings BEWARE. The 13 week inspection and repair promise is a complete joke. Warning do not pay a cent on final payme... read more »

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

We couldn't be happier!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2012

....I'm disappointed to see such a bunch of negative comments given that our experience has been smooth sailing & we couldn't be happier with our home. The site supervisor has been fantastic as have the tradesman! I'm guessing if you have a good supervisor he will have good tradesman - ours clearly take pride in their work. I would definitely recommend JG King in my hometown. I really hope they look after their staff & maintain their good reputation! We are extremely lucky!

+ Quality of work & staff we've dealt with....

- Turn over of admin staff & slight lack of communication

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sydney, NSW

• 36 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2011

I would recommend JG King Homes to new home builders, however do advice them to ask more and more questions instead of thinking JG King would be very helpful in disclosing information themselves. The salesmen dont provide all the information until asked to do so. However, they have excellent home designs and the base price are pretty good too. The quality is excellent and the way the house plan flows is very nicely crafted. Suggest them as a good builder for first home builders in victoria. Good one.

+ Excellent designs and base price of houses

- Not enough information by the salesmen

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2010

I have recently built my dream home in Manor Lakes. Everything about the JG King experience went above and beyond my expectations.

The building supervisor ensured the job got done to my expectations, which left me stress free throughout the building process.

I would recommend JG King for anyone looking to build a quality home.

+ - The price was suitable for my budget
- Great communication with Building Supervisor, he was easily accessible, he would answer all my queries and was generally very helpful in ensuring the job got completed well before our contract date
- Good design of the home

- - There was an unreasonable delay between the time of contract formation and commencement of building works

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sanctuary Lakes, vic

• 10 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

We're happy with the house over all, though we learnt alot about the whole process and would definitely make some changes to the house and feed the lessons learnt into the next house we build - should it ever happen. Our complaint about the wrong security system being installed was handled less smoothly than we would have liked but in the end we were refunded the amount.

+ The house was completed on time; they were reasonably priced per square meter and allowed us to bring our own house plans so they worked off those. We had a lot of upgrades from their standard fittings and fixtures which they were fine with. The standard fittings were good quality though. We were given a welcome box on the handover with biscuits and teas etc. The 3 month review after the hand over was handled by a very nice chap and he did all the fixes and some extra bits and bobs too. There weren't too many fixes - mainly missing door stops, sticky doors, all very minor.

- During the construction phase we were only called when there were issues. There were a few main issues - the placement of our R/A outlet which was not reviewed properly by the engineer and resulted in a change to a less desirable location during construction; the electrical wiring was not perfect (some lights didn't work) when we were at the home handover - it seems the apprentices of one of their electrical contractors did the job.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2010

We are building a very large/complex house in the west suburbs of Melbourne with them. The building is progressing nicely and the steel frame looked magnificent. The metal structure (which I believe doesn't contribute to a fire) gives you a strong sense of security. The walls are perfectly straight (and some of my wood framed neighbor houses walls are certainly not). Having said that, I have also to mention that they are taking their time...plenty of excuses used to justify things not going right. I am aware that building houses can be pretty complicated. The building manager is always calm and collected with good communication skills. I Strongly recommend them .

+ quality of the building, competitive price. Steel frame

- a bit slower than expected

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Hi can anyone tell me the price difference from H1 TO H2 SLAB for 214 m2 home?

Lisa asked on May 22, 2018

Do they do knock down rebuild?

LukeCollins asked on May 09, 2018

Answer this

I am not sure about it but i think they do

Yes they sure do

Hello all, very concerned about the reviews. Can anyone give feedback on building with JG King in Ballarat? Really want to get some confidence of the group or maybe look for another builder? TIA

Geoff_B asked on May 01, 2018

Answer this

Like wise mate, wouldn't mind hearing from people that have built out of the ballarat office.

My build story JG King.
_________________________________________________________________
I written this post on over the course of my build with an intention of 5 star rating (I am sending it to forums. But will be posting it only 3 months after handover. It’s with JG King now to keep up the 5 star from here as we go into crucial stages of Build.

House: Sage (33.1 Sq) @ Wyndham Vale.
Job Number: 1704MLA586
Construction Start date: October 17
Base Stage: Dec 17
Frame stage: Feb 17
Lockup: Mar 17
Fix out: Apr 17

Given No Driveways, Downlights, flooring , cooling. So expecting a faster finish.

Feedback:
Generally takes a bit of time (I have noticed 3 houses built by JG king) but also depends on your luck (Rocks, Weather and of course tradies)
Quality of construction so far is good (too early to give a credit?) but I like it so far except for the below.
I don’t have much to say about the Carpenter looks like he’s working multiple jobs and working only few hours a day ; made lot of damage to plaster walls while fixing skirting which otherwise is a quality build until then.
In contrary to most feedbacks I will give credit to admin team so far on the responses; I always received a response within 24 hours.

PCI Date: Yet to hear back.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Apr 17 - Booked Deposit

Sales Consultant @ Groove, tarneit was helpful to get the right house of my liking.

I had an irregular block so the sales consultant suggested we can also fit a wide variety of houses and he sent me a list of 7+ designs that would fit on my block. We actually liked the
Sage fit on my block instead though i was thinking of Adelphi 1. Helped me choose the upgrade options carefully with in my budget.

May 17 Contract signing:
Was a good experience i had a list of 20+ items to be changed and the admin consulatnt helped me get all of that and advised few areas where she had concerns.
Ex:
1. Though i wanted a double vanity she advised it will look congested (for few people) on a 33 sq house. But Mrs wanted a double vanity so gone by that.
2. Suggested to get a cavity door for 250$ to avoid visibility WIP as the design had a large open area living for Kitchen , Meals and living.

Signed up for Electricity and Gas with origin with an option i can change it at the end of build and was explained i need to pay for EB, Gas and water during the build.

June 17 Color appointment:
1. Pre-decided from website options and the color appointment was good though I felt a bit rushed but got what I wanted.
2. Changed multiple items with in my budget in during color appointment.

Feedback: Improve online selection tool. Increase color appointment timing. Provide a Visual tool possible for home buyers to see how it looks.

June 17 Further changes:
1. Requested for further changes in electrical and few other options and they were happy to do it as its not structural..
From June to September the fun starts for developer and council Approval. Developer returned the plan more than 5 times to change brick, Facade and Cladding to a point that made me think Who’s paying for the house? In the end I liked another facades and brick (Not an upgrade) so didnt end up in a fight which I was told to be an losing battle as developers guidelines has to be followed.
Developer approval took till September as the approving authority was on vacation. :(
Council approval started shortly after that.
October 17:
All excited for tradies to start which is short lived as we cannot locate the Fourth peg which according to the developer was buried under the fence. But supervisor was not interested taking their words (as mine is irregular block) and wanted the developer to locate the fourth boundary or mark it on the fence else do a re-establishment survey($800-$1000).
Developer was not initially helping saying once the land is settled its my problem and he cant help. But later after product review private compliance they helped but took their time.
My ADVICE TO ANY NEW LAND BUYER IS TO ENSURE YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED ALL 4 BOUNDARY PEGS and no Rocks or Dump on site before you settle your land. After settlement its your problem.

November 17:
Site Cut , Drainage Pipes, Piers and slab preparation.
Hit 20K worth or rocks and was not happy about it. I would strongly recommend JG King to provide a fixed rock prices in their site cost so new home builders are not worried. Its my view that the customer experience will greatly improve with locked in pricing.

December 17:
Slabs poured on Dec 20.
Frames delivered to site but no work happened till Feb 6th. The tradie that supposed complete framing before christmas did not show up and my supervisor has to find a different one after he came back from holidays.

January 18 :
No Work :(

February 18:

Frames Installed, Roof covering, Pipes run through frames.
March 18:
Brickie started laying but then work stopped for almost four weeks.
Rough in wrap around the house complete, heating ducts , solar panels for Hot water installed.
Noticed and reported to supervisor that sliding windows were not closing properly for which he advised he’s aware of and will be fixed when carpenter comes in for doors.

April 16, 2018:
Supervisor and Accounts team advised that they want reverse lockup which is installing the plaster walls prior to external wall cladding is complete. I was initially reluctant but had no choice as the contract had a special clause condition for reverse lockup.
Insulation and Plaster walls are complete the first week of April. And another brickey started from second week of april and almost close to finishing external brick cladding. (as of 16/04/2018)
Cornices complete and carpenter started cutting for doors and cavity sliding doors, electrical wirings were completed
Waiting for the sliding windows to be fixed.
The quality of construction so far seems good.
My supervisor advised that the house should be completed by End of May if tradies show up as expected or can be delayed for a couple of more weeks. Exciting times. Cant wait for handover.

Apr 20 Update:
Batten light points and switch points were cutout for walls and roof. Getting ready for Painting i assume.

As per SS Kitchen and cabinets should have been in by Apr 18 but still not in.
Tiles for wet areas was scheduled for yesterday. Will drop by today to have a look.

Apr 30th Update:
Got the invoice for fix out ; but still skirting and architraves were not done. After I reported the invoice was void and got a new one on May 2nd.

May 5th update:
Carpenter didnot do a good job in my view lot of gaps in windows and made 50+ dings on the plaster wall while moving the skirting. Now poor supervisor has marked all of them (Painful process i believe for the pre-painting guy to address them).
No other work has been done other than skirtings :(.

Will update how it goes.
May 1st and 2nd week:
Not much going on except stonebenchtop ; was advised pre-plastering work will be completed this week. But no signs of tradies @ site until last evening.
BTW SS on leave from 8th to 31st 
Paid fixout with a trust that build will be completed; with only 20K to pay and # of reviews suggesting delays i'm concerned too.

Pending items to my knowledge to get to PCI; Have low confidence it will be done by End of May.
1. Downpipes for Gutters
2. Alfresco, Portico and Verandah ceiling.
3. Garage door to house internal door not fixed, Ensuite toilet door not fixed.
4. Skirtings not fully finished yet( garage and other small areas)
5. Window architraves for one of the windows need to be adjusted.
6. Tilings not started.
7. Concrete slab for Alfresco, Portico , Verandah
8. Door Handles
9. Sliding doors
10. Painting
11. Facade cladding and rendering.
12. Batten lights for kitchen.

am noticing three houses (Mine, My neighbour and other opposite to my rental current house) and all of them follow a similar pattern. Hope this helps in making a decision.

BTW, My neighbour house finish was good...

Look for another builder,beleive these reviews poor workmanship,dishonest and very stressful . biggest mistake i have ever made

See all 102 questions about JG King Homes