Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2010

We are building a very large/complex house in the west suburbs of Melbourne with them. The building is progressing nicely and the steel frame looked magnificent. The metal structure (which I believe doesn't contribute to a fire) gives you a strong sense of security. The walls are perfectly straight (and some of my wood framed neighbor houses walls are certainly not). Having said that, I have also to mention that they are taking their time...plenty of excuses used to justify things not going right. I am aware that building houses can be pretty complicated. The building manager is always calm and collected with good communication skills. I Strongly recommend them .

+ quality of the building, competitive price. Steel frame

- a bit slower than expected

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

Very frustrating start to this building. We were warned by our solicitor that JG King tends to take a long time to get contracts through, and they did. We signed a home order form in February, the block did not get cut until July. The paperwork also got held up by Wodonga Council, other half ended up calling the council himself to tell them to get a move on with the permits.
Once building started everything moved quite quickly. Most of the tradies seemed very competent. Our brickie was very slow, but he did a great job and the bricks look great. Supervisor had the smarts enough to get other jobs done despite him being so slow. Very impressed with the tiler. On the bad side, our painter was terrible. He missed a lot of patch up jobs caused by other tradies moving around house with tools, this will happen that’s why the painter needs to come back in at the end. He had to be called back 3 times for patch up work. Had to laugh when we found his cap in amongst the left over tiles in the garage, it said "Paint Right".
Could have had the keys even earlier but for one of our inspectors falling very ill. I was just about climbing the walls I was so frustrated those last couple of weeks.
My absolute favourite bit about my new home is my bathtub. It’s just the right length for me, anyone much taller than 164cm may not be comfortable. I asked the building supervisor to pop some extra insulation put in around the tub. Now I can stew in the bath for ages and ages. :D
We did get a fairly stock standard home and had no major changes. We had 4 minor changes those being the bathtub insulation as mentioned above, 2 special lights for the hallway, and an enlarged fridge space for French door fridges. Want to give these guys 4 and 1/2 stars, but no such option. Will give 5 instead and ignore the somewhat inadequate painter because paintjobs aren't meant to last forever and need to be freshened up every few years

+ Supervisor was quite good, we felt he was trustworthy Due January 2010, got keys mid November 2009They insulated my bathtub :D

- Took a VERY long time to get paperwork done so we could start building Paint job not ideal

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

Will definitely build with them again. All our friends said that building was a stressful experience - not for us. Loved it.

+ What they said, they did. I liked dealing with a company that felt like a small family business, but had the expertise of a big corporate.

- They were 2 days late in finishing. Not bad I guess over a 5 month period.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

We started building our new home around 3 weeks ago. The slab went down, frame went up 3 days later, within a week from this the roof was on and plumbing and electrical work well on their way. The bricking has just begun. So far everything is looking fantastic. Tradesmen are great, willing to work with the owner and adding extras or changing things is not a problem. The staff at the Traralgon office are very helpful and effecient. So far the experience has been fantastic. Would definately recommend. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

+ Great Service, Nothing too hard, good designs, great tradies. Well priced. Excellent steel frames.

- Superviser hard to get a hold of, site not very clean. None other yet.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 helpful vote

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

Just wondering if anyone on here has built with JG King Homes in Traralgon Victoria? My husband and I just gave them a deposit today and are happy so far but by reading your comments we are beginning to feel a little worried. I've heard bad reports about JG King in Melbourne...but how about Traralgon?
We have just lost thousands with New Dimension Homes and would NOT recommend them. Please any feedback would be appreciated. thanks.

+ Good deals...friendly staff

- not sure yet..hoping you can tell us.

Sanctuary Lakes, vic

• 9 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

We're happy with the house over all, though we learnt alot about the whole process and would definitely make some changes to the house and feed the lessons learnt into the next house we build - should it ever happen. Our complaint about the wrong security system being installed was handled less smoothly than we would have liked but in the end we were refunded the amount.

+ The house was completed on time; they were reasonably priced per square meter and allowed us to bring our own house plans so they worked off those. We had a lot of upgrades from their standard fittings and fixtures which they were fine with. The standard fittings were good quality though. We were given a welcome box on the handover with biscuits and teas etc. The 3 month review after the hand over was handled by a very nice chap and he did all the fixes and some extra bits and bobs too. There weren't too many fixes - mainly missing door stops, sticky doors, all very minor.

- During the construction phase we were only called when there were issues. There were a few main issues - the placement of our R/A outlet which was not reviewed properly by the engineer and resulted in a change to a less desirable location during construction; the electrical wiring was not perfect (some lights didn't work) when we were at the home handover - it seems the apprentices of one of their electrical contractors did the job.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2010

Please do not build with this company!! If I had known about the consumer affairs report we wouldn’t have awarded them the privilege of building our house.
We have over 100 defects they don’t listen and don’t fix any problems when they arise. If you have a problem don’t wait for answers we will not get any, what you will get is nothing but lies and more lies… if you have been dealing with S.P. the passive aggressive you are done for, please make an application to Consumer affairs as soon as possible, and keep and ask for every thing in writing…..good luck.

Please lodge your concerns with consumer affairs

+ Cheaper per square meter, and build from your plans

- Doggy work, lies, still under construction after 12 months, 4 supervisors, with no resolution in sight

33 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2010

JG King? Never again! What a nightmare, so many broken promises, we have learnt to never again take a persons word, everything has to be in writing from now on. if we had the knowledge we have now we would have never built with them. like some of the other reviewers we never knew about the consumer affairs issues and are presently thinking of taking further action ourselves.

- My God where do i begin, we signed our contract in 2006 and it is now march 2008! lots of lies and broken promises, almost all of the tradesman that have worked on the house have had to come back to complete unfinished and/or unsatisfactory workmanship. We have had leaks, flooding, uneven floor, walls and frames that were out up to as much as 17mm. we are missing solar panels, drains, drain pipes and half a front garden which was left incomplete. The plastering and painting has been a nightmare and we are on our 5th supervisor. we have just moved in but only because we cannot afford to pay rent, storage and a mortgage anymore. now we have tradesman working around us in our unfinished home. we are disgusted with the lack of quality, poor communication and concern from some of the company reps. JG King you have cost us thousands while we have waited for you guys to get your act together and we are still unsatisfied.

• 1 helpful vote

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

Not much I can say really just dissappointed from start and should have went with another builder but it was too late, they cant even return calls or anything, must be on top of them all the time

+ kitchen looks great but it is the colours we choose, went with the caraway 175 but changed it to suit us,

- Time, the are really slow as it took 3months to get contracts, they dont understand dates the never stuck with a date that they gave us, went to be in this friday but looks like another week, very disappointed, will not be building with them again and suggest anyone else not to start

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

Read the fineprint with this mob, and DO NOT ACCEPT Provisional Sums, as they are ALWAYS MORE when they release your prelim drawings.
Heard worse stories, just needs to be some regulation sorted out on how the amount of time things should get done (prelim drawings & contract drawings).

These delays have cost me being in my house before Christmas. Am not aiming 4th Feb, but at the rate we are going, it looks we could a fraction after that :(

+ When being Priced extra's, they were very reasonably priced, compared with Metricon Homes. Steel Frame, good quality build SO FAR. Smooth & Easy Selection process.

- Time - Takes for ever for drawings to come thru, making x2 minor structual adjustments. Paid deposits 1 May 09, Started build late September 09.
Broken Promises - Supervisor says trades will be starting, they end up starting 1-2 weeks after he promises
Still awaiting on credit on painting & rendering in which the builder is now not doing, due a stacked stone addition (beyond mine & builders control - developer requested a last minute colour change).
Found out after doing my contract that this mob is charging me nearly $5k to do a small 1m high retaning wall. Worked it out, that I could get materials, and get a landscaper to do it for half the price!! Retaining wall is using timber posts, and asked to upgrade to Galv Steel H Sections due to presentation & strength, however my requests have been completely ignored!!
Wrote an email with numerous concerns, took them 3 weeks to get back to me, I threatened to hold up payment of an invoice, when I told them that, they contacted me within 2 days, and issues were slightly resolved, still not 100% happy thou. Didn't really want to hold up payment of invoice for too long incase of them delaying the house further!!

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

J.G.King homes are apparently value for money, but the quality is highly questionable -- albeit we have only looked through their displays, but the finish quality is consistently below-par, their newest displays you expect to see the very best of their workmanship -- everything was crooked, loosely fitting (and fixture quality wasn't the best either).

+ some tasteful (if not original) designs

- appalling build quality

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

They don't care of customers they speak as they like sale person will say some thing and supervisor will say some thing those supervisor are grumpy they are not good I suggest don't go with them

+ They are abosulte idiots

- Supervisor is big idiot

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

I lived in a brand new JG king home for a year and it was dreadful! There was a veranda that never got finished, an air conditioner that didn't work and peeling paint and paint cracks! the builder was rude and blamed us for peeling the paint off!
i would never recommend them, the reason it is so cheap is because you are paying for the quality, which there obviously isn't any! Tip to new home buyers, if you are buying a reasonably new home, ask who the builder was! Say no to JG King homes!

+ cheap and nice plans

- lack of quality

• 6 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

Marketing lies: The property I bought is marketed as a 4th bedroom. Be careful, it can't be a 4th bedroom if they is no door or door size opening to hang a door and no built-in wardrobe. Marketed as a 7 star home, it ended up being a 6 star home. Sales agent lies: After delays in commencement of home he said "they put these homes up in 4 months", what a lie, more like 12 months. In hind site I should've got it in writing. Construction supervisor lies: Giving false time frames for progress - they tell you what you want to hear. They over promise and under deliver. I've had 3 different supervisors. Extension of Time Claim lies: Their requests to extend the building period because "shortage of bricklayers" was unjust. I've been 10 years in the building industry and never have I heard such a pathetic reason. That is a risk they take on board - I wrote them a letter saying I dispute the Extension of Time claim. Area Manager lies: Claiming the Commencement Date was from the date they started on site. Lied to again, the Commencement Date is within 14 days issue of the building permit. This knowledge and a threat to go to VCAT made them change their minds and hence increase their penalties for late completion. Also during color selection I had a lady from the tiling place call me to come and select colors because JGKing homes are getting upset. Only for me to tell her "I have already picked my colors with the interior decorator at JGKing Homes". What dreadful communication amongst themselves. Don't believe anything they tell you and you'll be better prepared, get as much in writing as you can and be prepared for time over-runs. Better yet, don't use them, I wouldn't use them again. It's companies like this that make sure Builders will always have a bad reputation.

+ Workmanship seems ok. Fixed price contract covered 95% of outlay.

- Lies, lies, lies & costly delays

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

They Lie, lie non stop. Get everything in writing, refuse to talk to them tell them to put it in writing for you....and please don’t pay them a red cent if you don’t see the relevant building approvals from the surveyor. They send out the invoice for the stage payments early and without approval from surveyor. We have been in the dispute for 2 years, with no end in sight!! Please lodge your claim with consumer affairs, this builder must be stoped. They have appeared and have been investigated by the Builders Practitioners Board on many occasions. They will also change you site supervisor minimum of 2 to 3 times and apply for time extensions for no good reasons. All actions of this builder are very under handed. The contract you will sign means nothing, you are not protected and they will change and use substituted materials without your approval. We have over 100 defects and counting………please the more complaints that consumer affairs have the better all of us are, please they will not fix anything or they will fix one thing really badly and tell you that it is ok and try and convince you it ok. PLEASE DON’T BUILD WITH THIS BULIDER!!

- Everything!!!

27 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

They did not finish the home in time and plenty problems are still open. It was my biggest mistake to sign a contract with this company.

- Lies, lies and bad quality. The supervisor does not return your calls; the people in the office are not professionals, poor workmanship and quality.

20 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

Even after Building Commission Victoria provided inspection and report with recommendation to rectify defects builder ignored it. They are untouchables. I fight with them for last 2.5 years. anyone who wish to join me contact sergey36@digisurf.com.au and soon will be hearing with Building Board regarding of builder's conduct.

+ Steel frame homes

- Terrible management and quality. You can make these guy to rectify multiply defects after settlement.They do not even answer to you after lodgment an Defects List during Defect Liability Period. Manager told me honestly: You can complain wherever you want I do not care.I always would say tat you refused access to your house to rectify defects of just we could not communicate with you". Honestly and straight forward.

37 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2010

While our home was completed in the time frame, it was overall a headache dealing with this incompetent building firm. We moved in our property in Aug 07, the handover was a joke, we were horrified to see so many defects, we wanted to throw the keys back and run. For example our paintwork was so crap, half of our ceiling was sprayed on, the other half rolled on with what looked like a woolly sheepskin. There was a hole in our walk in robe ceiling, our front door did not have a top coat, there were black metal marks all over the floor tiles where the painters had moved their ladders around, the building supervisor could not even remove them with thinners. The windows were scratched, the toilet was leaking, the incorrect light was installed in the kitchen, the wrong sink, wrong vanity top, my feature glass tiles that I paid extra for were absent from over the bath, the tank was not on a concrete pad, but on crushed rock and all wonky, the wrong accessories were installed. Our floor tiling was appalling, uneven in places, for example, we could not push chairs under the kitchen table without lifting them up and over the faulty uneven tiles! There was paint dripped externally on window sills, and brickwork as well as windows. This was just the beginning of an absolute headache for us having to try and rectify all of this, pretty frustrating when the dodgy supervisor thought the dodgy work was perfectly o.k., and the fact that every signed variation we made was stuffed up, and we had to wait eight months after moving in to finally get everything 'fixed', and by then we had 'stumbled' across even more stuff ups but we were so over it. I got legal advice from consumer affairs and was starting to proceed with the lodging of a complaint, which JG were aware of, so I think this made them act more quickly to fix things. If you like dealing with tradesman who communicate like cave men, and a supervisor who obviously is not on the pulse (or supervising the work) then I this is the mob to build with LOL.

+ Price and Plan were good, and we got a 'free alfresco'

- Totally incompetent, poor build quality, dodgy tradesman and supervisor was a yobbo

32 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2010

Reading some of these posts, most are negative, however my experience of rebuilding in the Kinglake Ranges, although impeded by bad winter weather, is an overall pleasant experience, mostly due to an excellent construction supervisor, [name censored].with support of his manager. Preliminaries were somewhat slow,and mostly caused by a "reactive" building commission changing the building code with legislation that constantly changed in the early days, delaying my contract. Once construction started, the supervisor went into full swing and soon I will be back into a home well earned. Well done to the team at JG King Homes for a diligent job, in very difficult circumstances.

+ Pricing, The Kinglake Construction Supervisor

- Wet Weather

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2010

I have recently built my dream home in Manor Lakes. Everything about the JG King experience went above and beyond my expectations.

The building supervisor ensured the job got done to my expectations, which left me stress free throughout the building process.

I would recommend JG King for anyone looking to build a quality home.

+ - The price was suitable for my budget
- Great communication with Building Supervisor, he was easily accessible, he would answer all my queries and was generally very helpful in ensuring the job got completed well before our contract date
- Good design of the home

- - There was an unreasonable delay between the time of contract formation and commencement of building works

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 11 pages

Hi we are building with JGKing at the moment It's been a slow process so far My question is we are very disappointed with the Quilty of the workmanship in relation to the shirting boards and architraves ,they don't seem to line up to well and have slight gaps where they meet at the corners Are we with in our rights to ask that these be removed and redone to our expectations?

Seymore asked on Dec 24, 2017

Did JG King use a lower quality volume subsidiary JG King Direct to build NRAS units in Bendigo North as the carpet is very poor quality and lifting in my unit that is approx only 4 years old. Was the lower quality build clearly declared to buyers as I thought I was building a property under your trusted brand and quality that goes with it. I have tried to have the carpet corrected by your business and you will not help me. I thought I would ask the question before putting it on a review. Disappointed customer MARC

MarcMarc asked on Dec 21, 2017

Answer this

Dear Marc
Not sure I can answer your question as I am a victim of jgking’s incomoetence and poor quality workmanship too. I had Jgking as the builder of my new house and can say with all honesty that it was the most stressful time I have experienced in a long time. Currently, They are completely uninterested in correcting anything if it wasn’t noticed prior to handover, or was noticed after the 3 month check.

The overall quality of the build was appalling as well - their tradesmen are hopeless at their jobs and have no pride in their work. Perhaps it was all done by apprentices - certainly seems that way.
Good luck with it.
Trish

Thanks Trish for your response. I guess if we can’t make them fix or compensate their issues we need to highlight on these type of sites and hopefully others won’t be duped and their business will suffer

We are right on the edge of buying a new home from JG King in Ballarat. Unfortunately we have not been able to find a single good report on this company for builds in the Ballarat area. Are we missing something or is that just the way it is, there isn't any?

LordC asked on Dec 19, 2017

Answer this

No very slow started a SMALL 3 bedroom home

Hi LordC,
There are a couple of recent reviews specific to the Ballarat area posted on the 1st Sept 2017.
Check them out, they may help put your mind at ease.

We are currently building just out of Ballarat, it’s been a slow start, now the Xmas break, our frame was meant to be up this week, so far no progress so we will see.
Our slab was poured on time, and no issues yet. l have spoken to quite a few who have built in Ballarat and all have been happy, so really hoping we will be another happy customer.

See all 91 questions about JG King Homes