Torquay

• 13 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Early dissapointment.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

Well I signed up with JG KING in October 2016 to build in Torquay. The site cut was completed in the first week in March 2017. The slab was meant to be poured on the 23rd March 2017. Still not done. Some ten days later I ring the site supervisor as he didn't bother to call me. He said that their concreter made an error digging too close to next doors garage. I wondered why he hadn't called me to advise me. Every time I had to call their office the staff ignore your calls and one in particular is rude. I am regretting signing with them already and haven't even started properly yet. I swish I had have listened to people who warned me. For the record the sales guy [name removed] has been very good throughout the process but I shouldn't have to annoy him to follow staff up at the office. On a positive , I cannot speak highly of [name removed] who was friendly helpful and patient with me selecting my colours. JG King management, your staff need some training in customer service...eg. how to follow up , keep people informed and remember who pays their wages.

August 6th 2017 Update: Where's my original review?

Firstly where is my original review? Secondly why are the good reviews on this snail paced builder have no names most of the time? I doubt whether there have been excellent experiences. Maybe the persons who run this blog should confirm it's not the builder giving themselves good reviews. I was attempting to keep informing people about my build but it's like watching paint dry and mistakes made continue to slow things up. They promise to be transparent and keep you informed but that doesn't last long, if you don't call nothing happens. It's ironic how there's an excellent review with a build date by 2019. Do you really think we are stupid?

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
JG King Homes Official

Hi Mizzz, Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately I'm unable to identify the job from your comments, however we'd like the opportunity to look into your concerns and address them promptly. Co... read more »

I have been quick in responding and would like to see you explain yourself on here for all to view.

JG King Homes Official

Hi Mizzz, We acknowledge receipt of your complaint. While your account is not what we would like to hear, we're glad that you have taken the time to air your concerns. We've requested a senior... read more »

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Quality Build

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2017

My husband and I signed up to build with JG King well before our land titled. Everyone we dealt with was fantastic until we changed site supervisors half way through the build. Once this happened our house basically had no work done to it for like 3 months!!! As everyone says if you have an awesome site supervisor great which we had an amazing one for the first half but then we got a bad one. By the end of the build we were so damn happy the whole ordeal was over! We love the quality and design of our home but the end of the build not so pleasant dealing with an aggressive, arrogant and unpleasant Site Supervisor who I certainly wouldn't be happy if I had a business with him worker there.

Melbourne

• 5 comments
  • 13 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2017

Don't Build With J G King!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2017

This is the first time I have ever bothered to make a comment on a builder, or any product review for that matter.
However I feel after many months of being lied to, given incorrect information, dealing with errors and mistakes, yelled at down the phone by a site manager and currently been made to wait months with no progress due to complete incompetence, I should share my unpleasant experience and warn others why not to build with J G King and how this company treats its customers.
We actually signed up with J G King back in December 2015, over a period of months we built a reasonable rapport with our sales person [name removed]. He was accommodating making tweaks, alterations and incorporating our ideas into an existing floor plan. We then dealt with an administration assistant [name removed] who was handling our project, in complete contrast, she made mistake after mistake, errors to our plans, failure to correct inclusions and exclusions. In fact we went to our colours and tiles appointments and they had plans for a house that wasn't even ours. This then resulted in our job falling way behind for a start date, through no fault of ours. In addition the the draftsperson handling our job, although given very clear instructions… had to redraw our plans 5 times due to their constant mistakes.
Our land in Doreen titled back on 4th October 2016. Then we wait and we wait, whilst they try to sort out the mess due to their administrative dept issues. Then finally on 21st November 2106 we duly pay up our deposit and sign our contracts with [name removed], who seems to be switched on and knows her job. Although we had reservations due to the constant errors already made and issues with staff and administration, we were hopeful that we were over the worst of it…not the case. The then Victorian state manager, [name removed] gave us a guarantee that our job would be a priority and that we would be on site before Christmas. Unfortunately more lies …no work commences and the manager ups and resigns. Also our site supervisor [name removed] goes off work for a medical procedure, and we are allocated a temporary supervisor [name removed], who apparently has no idea of our job or details and gives us a run around, saying he's not actually handling our job and hasn't got time to meet with us.
So after the Xmas shut down, we are anxious for things to get started as most of our neighbours builds are well under way. So work finally commences…

Site cut 12 Jan 2017
Piers poured 24 Jan 2017
Plumbing/stormwater 30 Jan 2017
Slab poured 14 Feb 2017

Now you’d think things are moving …BUT the day our slab is poured I notice pipework for a toilet is missing from the slab and immediately advise our temp site supervisor. He then also informs me that ‘someone’ forgot to order our framework and it won't be delivered until 28 March. Another 6 weeks of time wasted due to incompetence. It seems the only department in this company that are quick to act is their accounts department, invoices are sent within 24 hours and are to be strictly paid in 7 days or you'll be penalised, regardless of whether work is completed or satisfactory. On 15th Feb we contact the site manager, [name removed], who tells us the plumbing is a small issue and that it will be fixed within the week and that yes the framework was forgotten to be ordered by our first site supervisor due to his operation, and to be a bit more considerate of his predicament..
Really? Sure I feel for the guy. But be professional, this is a multimillion dollar company and work must continue, don’t these people communicate with each other and hand over job details before heading off on leave?
We then purposefully don’t make any contact for a month, waiting to see what's going to happen.
Then out of the blue, I get a phone call on March 23rd from [name removed] he informs me he's our new site supervisor
( number 3). He seems ok, however at this point he has yet to deliver on any promises.
So I wait until the 28th March, (the day the framework is supposed to be delivered), to call the site manager [name removed] to ask what’s been happening for the last 4 weeks. He starts by saying he wasn't aware that plumbing issue hasn't been rectified. Once again no communication. At no stage does he offer any empathy, explanations, apology or offer to fix things. He is intent on speaking over the top of me, shouting down the phone and serving me sarcasm buy saying ‘perhaps you should be the site supervisor” ..”you have no idea what we are doing”.
Now this guy is supposed to be a senior manager with this company. How totally unprofessional, he seems to forget that I’m spending a lot of money with his employer for them to build us a house. So after heated discussions, it seems the best form of communication is email and text, and that way there’s proof of the lies we have been told, as they seem to deny anything that was said verbally. He then texts me to say the plumbing issue will be rectified by the end of the week (and no it's not been done) and that he wasn't shouting...he was on blue tooth. Um yeah right...I think we all know when someone isn't listening and raises their voice loudly over the top of yours that's called shouting.
( As I'm writing this still no repair to the missing plumbing or frame delivery as of 2nd April 2017).
To add insult to injury, we have now received 2 letters from J G King, both unsigned with no contact details saying that the intend to add 2 weeks to the build time, due to nil supply of frame from supplier and no electricity on site. Both complete lies, as the order for the frame was actually forgotten to be placed, and electricity is available to every other house in the street, its just these tradesmen haven't bothered to connect the meter box.
So at this stage 4 ½ months after signing a contract (21/11/16) we have an incomplete slab that needs to have plumbing added, no framework, and every other house started around the same time or after ours is at lock up stage. With summer now behind us as we head into autumn and winter, I wonder if their next excuses will be bad weather, after they sat for months and did nothing.
It’s interesting now to read all the other comments on this site about how slow their work is. I don't know if J G King have a shortage of tradesmen or what the problem is as we have observed other homes they are building in our area are progressing very slowly.
I shall be updating this blog when work actually commences to give further insight into time frames, quality of workmanship, and inevitable other issues.
I hope this gives other customers an insight as to how this company operates and treats its valued customers. I’ll be interested to see if I hear back from their complaints department.

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update: I sent a copy of this review to the J G King complaints dept. For easy identification I included my name, phone number, email address and contract/job details 3 days ago and asked them to c... read more »

JG King Homes Official

Hi Harpet, I’m sorry to read your comments regarding your experience and the current delays with your build. We have certainly received your complaint, and would like to take this opportunity to... read more »

Still Waiting..No phone call,No email..... It's now Tuesday morning and still no contact from J.G .King after an insincere apology and false promise to communicate with me.Just further confirms... read more »

Mildura

LOVE our family home! MILDURA

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 20, 2017

We have had nothing but great experiences with JGKing Mildura. Our home was built and handed over as promised and on time. We are very happy with the quality of our home; the painter especially has done a fantastic job without fault! We also love the design of our home. The plan is amazing! Every guest who has come to visit has said what a positive vibe the house gives! The JGKing Mildura team were amazing. So friendly and patient. Their prompt reply to messages, calls and emails was excellent. Can't think of a better team to have worked and built with! Life certainly starts here and now!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2017

The Mildura team are friendly and great to work with. Very helpful.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2017

My experience with JG King Homes Mildura has been great. I got them to build the H2 design of the UP range which was very well priced and I got a lot of extras that didn't cost me too much. The house ended up looking very beautiful,was designed well and I love the fact that you don't have to ever worry about termites because of JG Kings steel frames. The team at JG King Mildura are excellent, so helpful and easy to work with. I would fully recommend JG King Mildura to build you a beautiful home which you will love and that lasts a life time. Great work JG King Mildura!!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2018

The best!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2017

Great customer service and always up for a laugh or an answer to a query anytime day or night! Hopefully our build goes as smoothly as the process has been so far! We love that the steel frame and colourbond roof come with the house and the design is fantastic, suits us perfectly! [name removed] you are one special guy! Cheers :)

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2018

First Stage

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 10, 2017

So far our experience with JG King has been fantastic, we had been to many different builders and found the Customer Service at JG was the best. We meet with XP who has been outstanding, being first home buyers we had heaps of questions and did not understand how the building process worked, XP went through everything step by step with us and was happy to answer any questions we had, even if it was at 7pm at night. We made several changes and it was never a hustle. We are now waiting for our land to title so we can start building! We look forward to seeing the complete outcome.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2017

Looking forward

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

I am still waiting for Land Title, but decided as might possibly be released in May that it was time to look around, from the moment I met the JG King Rep XP my thoughts had changed as who to build with, I still had many many many questions to ask and needed plenty to be re explained to me, XP was great very patient and made the whole transition from being just a maybe to going through to the signing stage an easy process, giving an estimate up front and them being able to scrutinise and change and add things to the rough estimate gave me a better understanding and confidence in what I was wanting and getting myself into, I am looking forward to the next stage, hopefully i will be in my own home by the end of the year, yay, thanks JG King and thank you XP and hopefully to the many that will be involved in my build, thank you

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2015

Good House

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 25, 2017

We built we JG King and while we had some administrative problems at the beginning,the build process was very good. We had a 'average' foreman and a very good administrator throughout the build. There seemed to be a lot of staff changeover through our build but the new regional manager Rory Nelson went out of his way and was very approachable from the get go. We would definitely build with JG King Albury/wodonga again in the future.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2016

Great house great company

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2017

The build was great because the 4man is easy to work with because he listens to the people. He explains things simply, so you understand what is going on with our build. He is always there to help the client.
The customer service was great, she is really easy to get on with. There were no issues to charge the plan of the house, if there are any issues with the plan they are right on it. Overall they are great to build with.

Moorool

New build total satisfaction

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

I read with interest many negative review where people are only too eager to criticise the service provider . Unfortunately there are far fewer people who will put pen to paper to provide positive reviews where they are well deserved. Our experience with J G King has been one of the most enjoyable encounters and well worth our praise.

From our first meeting with Khara, the J G King representative to the hand over from Nic the J G King project supervisor we experienced the most professional and personal attention to detail imaginable. Our new home is an absolute delight as all trades were carried out to an extremely high standard.

There were a couple of issues during the construction period which could have developed into major concerns but thanks to the immediate response from J G King and the respective contractors these problems were resolved within the shortest possible time frame .

We have no reservations in endorsing J G King as a competent building company to engage as a building company to construct your new home.

Regards

Greg and Pauline

• 2 answers

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Apr 2014

J G King Homes. Warrnambool

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2017

On entering the Office in Warrnambool, I had a good feeling with the atmosphere and the knowledge of the Sales Consultant [name removed] and her ability to offer her professional assistance to meet my requirements. My first visit to the site reassured me I had made the right decision in selecting J G King to build my home, the site was securely fenced. The building supervisor [name removed] did an excellent job on the build and always made himself available as when required. His knowledge of the fittings is outstanding and his willingness to assist was excellent.
I believe a large part of success of a company is the front line people. Some of the contractors have said to me, how good it was to work for [name removed] as everything was always ready for them to move in on time. I have no hesitation in recommending J G King Homes.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2016

Perfect family home!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2017

Quality of the build was A1. Site supervisor kept in regular contact and would always return calls and make time for site inspections. All finishes throughout the home have been exceptional. Follow up inspections since completion have been prompt, friendly and not a hassle. Can't praise the site supervisor enough on his friendly communication as we'd built prior with another company and struggled with updates and site inspections.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brisbane (but house was built in Port Fairy Vic)

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2016

Great Service and help

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2016

The pre construction service was very efficient and easy for me. The only big issue early in construction was rectified at no cost to me with no dramas. This was a positive as I always expected something to go wrong but the unknown was how good their ability to fix things to my satisfaction was. I had a friend in the game inspect the steel frame and he was unable to fault it. As I was interstate he looked at the house several times and even he told me it was a good job. The other problems were my responsibility like water to site but [name removed] (site foreman) provided solid advice with solutions and organised contractors for me without charging extra even though under the contract he could have. I had heard of people having trouble with building but I went to a lot of display homes and had 99% of changes to plan made before construction began. All the changes were costed okay, like 2 metre longer garage, walk in pantry, double glazing, etc. [name removed] worked with my mate who represented me on site and that helped me greatly. I would recommend JG King to anyone.

New house in Deniliquin, Shepparton team you are amazing

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2016

From he time we poured our slab in August until hand over on the 16th December, the experience was nothing short of amazing for our very first build. Our Supervisor [name removed] was just a delight to deal with. Always worked through any issues we had which were very minimal and always seemed to go out of his way to make sure everything was fine. We were under pressure to have finished as our old house had sold and [name removed] did everything he could to achieve that goal and we ended up having time to spare.

Thankyou JG King for an amazing experience and if we ever build another home again it will definitely be another JG King home.

Chris, Lisa & Cooper

Ballarat

• 4 helpful votes

Oh my head hurts

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2016

Time from signing to finish ... 10 months ... not the build, but start up date due to JG Kings incompetency. In hind sight should have bailed out at the start and gone elsewhere as it was really only a sign of things to come.

Hassled by their finance dept ... unsure why ... to my knowledge I never requested/authorised this ... perhaps a breach of privacy issues here.

Salesman was fine until we signed ... then didn't want to see us ... (no surprises really) headaches a plenty ... originally told we could have one facade in the area where we had the land ... came back with oh you need to appeal ... for the cost of $$$. We thought oh well can't have that go with another ... draftsmen struggled totally ... tried to advise it was a detailed job ... for goodness sake the facades would be in blocks in the autocad system should take no more than 30 mins... good try. Draftsman also stuffed up the amount of tiles needed ... so oh surprise a variation was incurred ... The word Novice comes to mind.

Then due to the draftspersons mistake ... two plans indicated one facade (which we wanted), and one which we did not ... guess which one we got ... yep the wrong one ... advised it was an upgrade and it is but when we were looking I can remember being told of the price and thought (thank goodness I don't like that one) ...
Flooring needed to be redone, shody job
Cupboard inserts - incorrect ones installed (this has been rectified).
Drain pipe going to the outside of the building near the light is too close to light ... like really must have been a man on this one no common sense ... does not allow a fitting of a protective shade over the light ...
It is like nobody was reading the plans or paying any attention to them ...

Color selection as always painful, could increase the options available. Small range of carpet ... believe it was unusual that you pick the cupboards, paint before the tiles/flooring ... I always thought that you started from the floor up (as most stylists) ... went into do this but no ... definitely their way.

Biggest tip (my mistake): remember the IXL tastics - these are not included ...

Go into the office to talk to draftspeople ... like no way ... human contact ... guess it is not a strong point. Office staff unhelpful, need a lesson in customer service ... advised we can only deal with the supervisor (who was either attending training ./ ill / annual leave). Communication is not a strong point..

Also, may be my humour, but must they draw male private parts on windows ... really not necessary ...

Do not refund for variations not taken up, so may pay to watch but mind you they are pretty quick to charge for variations, etc. no surprise though I am guessing this is standard with whoever you build with.

Then paid by personal cheque ... even though the head office is based in Ballarat, it is sent to Melbourne ... this in my mind was a deliberate act of maliciousness by the office staff to delay the cashing ... e.g. 8 days ... not the usual 3 days... so this would delay the handover. It only creates bad vibes ... I should have just paid in cash like I wanted to ... in hindsight all in $5.00 bills would have been the way to go ...

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Aug 2015

Bad after sales service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2016

We are fairly satisfied with the structure of our home, must say after our windows pulled away from the structure we had second thoughts, but after the repairs it seems like the problem has been solved. However, the inclusions are of a very low standard, we had everything included but after a month the toilet roll holder broke, the towel rail broke, the shelves sagged, the kitchen tap leaked around the bench, the bench had imperfections and had to be filled, kitchen cupboards are shocking, all different sizes and even though we bought the top of the range house a simple self closing mechanism for the drawers was left out. The shelves have been replaced twice but because the wrong thickness was used it is sagging once again! The passage in our house leading from the garage has no natural light and even in summer we have to have a permanent light on. The carpets were layed long before completion of the structure so it's been exposed to dust, paint, grouting, mud, you name it! Been cleaned before we took ownership but it remains old carpets! The toilet roll holders are still the same, broken cheap ones, still leaking around the tap, grouting is still missing in a few spots, cupboards are still odd sizes, still dark in the passage, benchtop still has an indent, roof tiles still dodgy looking on the 1 side, I can go on and on!
The sales and admin staff were extremely helpful and friendly, until we started noticing the little problems during the building process, they then became defensive and downright rude! Our emails are still being ignored!
Our views on JGKinghomes: stay away! Don't get burnt! #JGKinghomes
Our kitchen cupboards have now been replaced, but this was not through #JGKinghomes, it was our direct contact with #Claytonkitchens. They listened, had a look and replaced most of it. Happy with the kitchen now, still unhappy with the other JGKing inclusions.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jan 2015

Service build sales

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2016

I have built 5 homes with jgking and about to start 6. I have dealt exclusively with Lauren Dorney, l have found her and the admin staff highly professional,have an excellent capacity to help and assist with all matter relating to sales and build. The construction team are highly competent and deliver a first class home. I would highly recommend this company and their staff.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Feb 2017

New Home Build - NEERIM SOUTH

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2016

We commenced our build with JG King in August 2016 in Neerim South. We had been working with JG King for the past 12 months or so designing the home whilst waiting for our land to become available.
Our consultant , [name removed] was fantastic and went out of her way to get answers to all of our stupid questions. After many hours of redesigning the original plans and getting everything just how we wanted it, we were ready to sign our contracts and pay our deposits.
Everyone that we have dealt with throughout this process has been very professional and committed to ensuring we will be happy when our home is completed early next year.
The site supervisors [name removed]/[name removed] have done an amazing job of coordinating everything and ensuring the work has been completed to a very high standard. We have regular contact with the current supervisor [name removed] and he regularly updates us on the work being completed and makes himself available to show us through the house upon request.
We would have absolutely no hesitation in building again with JG King and can't wait for the keys to our new home.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2016

Fantastic Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2016

Right from the start of the consultation, JG King were fantastic. Horsham sales rep was honest, very quick at getting back to us and nothing we requested was too much for them. The build was quick, and job supervisor was excellent to deal with and again nothing was too much to ask.
Any issues we did have were very quickly rectified and we were kept informed all the time. Absolutely no regrets from us in choosing to build with JG King in Horsham, would definitely use them again and recommend to anyone who asked. The whole team were a pleasure to deal with and always very welcoming and helpful!

4 of 12 pages