Model: HOTTAP OUTING Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Happy with joolca hottap

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2017

Renovating 2 bathrooms so needed a temporary shower for 5 weeks. Looked at hiring in ensuite but decided to give the hottap a go along with joolca tent & shower stand. 3 weeks in & works a treat. Good flow & temperature. Tent could be bigger & more dog proof.

Purchased at: Tentworld

Sunshine Coast

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2017

Absolutely love our Hottap! Works a treat. We camp 'off the grid' and used to have a Coleman which we had to repair several times over the years. It finally died and I could hardly wait to purchase our Hottap. It arrived quickly and well packaged. My husband found it easy to set up and we had the best showers ever while camping. We had an issue with the shower head, contacted Joolca who replaced it with a newer version in no time at all. Their customer service is fantastic. I would definitely recommend purchasing one and have done so to family and friends.

• 2 answers

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: May 2017

So happy with my Hottap

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

Hi, I am extremely pleased with my Joolca Hottap.
I am retired and live alone.
When the Hottap arrived in the post, I was impressed with the very clear instruction manual.
I studied the instructions and managed to get it connected and working the first time round.
The water pressure is excellent. The temperature I set on the dial is consistently the same for the whole duration of my shower time.
The gas ignites the moment I turn on the cold water tap. The moment I turn off the tap, the gas extinguishes.
The unit does not get hot after a 1
5 minute shower.
I have it positioned as per the instructions and it is not exposed to rain.
I cover it when not in use.
I have a good feeling that I will enjoy very affordable showers for a long time to come.
It will cost me approximately $20 in Swap & Go gas for the 9 kg gas bottle every 3 months.
I was paying around $150 every 3 months for Origin gas hotwater system where I live.
Origin has a monopoly on gas hot water where I live and perhaps that's why their charges for hot water are about double what they charge for electricity every 3 months.
The Hottap will have paid for itself in 6 months from now.
I bought it about 3 weeks ago.
Lyndall in Brisbane. May 25, 2017

• 5 helpful votes

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: May 2016

Wonderful!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2017

As a non camper i.e. only a caravanner, I was more than pleasantly surprised at how wonderful this is! We bought the ensuite tent as well, and hey presto, our own private shower/change room. I do not like camping but since our caravan does not have an ensuite, we bought these 2 items. I could rave on about how wonderful they are are but I won't. Just one thing, make sure you read the instructions! My husband, who doesn't believe in reading instructions, had a very cold shower. He didn't know the HOTTAP needed batteries to work. Can highly recommend buying the 2 items together!

Clean dogs at last!

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2017

Worked really well..easy to set up..my dogs weren't so impressed. .lol..first bath in a while as I usually have to use cold water. Just connected the hose, hung the HOTTAP on the fence, hooked up the gas bottle, turned on the tap.. warm water within no time at all... and ... clean dogs

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: May 2016

Love the Joolca Hottap Shower

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2017

I have undertaken a video review since I really like this product. It just works and have had many a nice hot shower out in the bush.

I plug this in directly to my camping trailer water pump and then hook up the gas and she is ready to go. Definitely recommend it.

Also need to mention the excellent after care we received when we did have an issue. This was all sorted out very quickly. Incredible customer service.

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: May 2017

Hottap

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2017

Awesome product and just what we wanted. We have recommended to all our friends.
Simple to use and instructions make using it a breeze. Excellent delivery service and arrived in New Zealand
very quickly. We have a camper van and do dog agility all over New Zealand and a lot of camping friends will be very interested.
Bob Lygo

Happy llamas

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2017

Love the new Hottap! Llamas much happier with a warm bath. Much less spitting lol!
I was worried it may not have enough pressure to penetrate the thick fleece, but the adujustable shower head worked beautifully. Only hiccup is it goes out occasionally ( no wind blowing).
Very happy indeed!
Thanks Joolca

• 5 answers

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Great Unit, Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2017

Purchased as a temporary fix for no hot water during renovations. It is being used daily for showers etc and it is wonderful. we decided that 39 degrees was the most comfortable for showers and have now marked the settings to make it easier at start up. Once going we've found the temperature remains consistent. Unit is under a verandah and have had no issues with gas blowing out. Shower head with sliding switch was almost impossible to turn on but contacted Joolca and they sent the new model showerhead free of charge and it is so much easier to use. The hose to the showerhead started to bulge at the connection and just recently split but again, contacted Joolca and a free replacement sent. I have never used a unit like this before but read many, many reviews of products before purchasing and this one seemed to consistently get the best. Even though I have had a couple of minor problems I still think the unit is excellent value for money and the customer service the best I have ever come across.

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Love it! A great buy for us :)

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2017

Bought our Hottap late last year, and the ensuite tent earlier this year. Used our Hottap and Ensuite tent at Easter, finally!

Ensuite tent was bloody easy to set up, love it! Plenty of room inside, even for my wide load :).

Also the setup of the hot water was similarly easy as. Had a 100 water tank that I got at Aldi, pumped up some water from the Murray and filled it, then connected everything to it.

Worked mostly really well. A couple of times the hot water didn't light - don't know if that was due to a breeze or what, but a simple
on-off of the shower head restarted it no worries. And the new shower head is really good, although it has to be turned off rather precisely or it will still drip leak for a while.

Heat output was great - we had to turn it down almost fully low as the water drum pre-heated the water in the sun, and was coming out extremely warm from the shower!

Overall, love it and it'll get plenty of use :). Next year we will camp closer to the river so we can pump direct and have longer showers hehe :)

Ease of use and setup cannot be faulted, and all my dealings with Joolca have been very positive. Highly recommended :)

• 5 answers

Not so Great.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2017

I bought the unit recently after wanting to upgrade from my Aquacube.
After the second time I used the unit, the hose came out of the shower head. Not happy on top of that the first time I used the unit, it got to 47 degrees Celsius. After the second time I used it it was not getting past 38degrees Celsius.( The water source was from a creek that was pretty cold.)
My neighbour has the same unit and has had the shower head replaced twice due to the on and off switch braking and the hose coming out of the shower head.
He decided to buy a spray
nozzle with an on and off switch which He then customised and now works well.
He also told me that the unit won't heat the water to maximum temperature if the water is really cold to start with.
I don't think that the Hot tap is what it is cracked up to be and think that you should be able to get a lot more use out of a product before having to replace anything or the product not achieving its maximum temperature because the water is too cold to begin with.
However I will customise it and run the water through the shower head which will then heat the water up to the maximum setting I've been told.
Bit of a pain though having to do all this.

Comments
Joolca HOTTAP Official

Hi There. Firstly I'd like to apologise for the issues you've experienced with your Joolca Experience. I'm a bit confused about what you mean about the hose coming off the shower head? That shoul... read more »

Yulara

Model: HOTTAP OUTING Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Unhappy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 04, 2017

So. I live remote and was excited to get the Joolca Outing installed at home to use rainwater instead of borewater. It worked well for about 4 days, then .... :(
The switch on the shower head has stopped working. The water continues to flow. It is a flimsy piece of .... (I'll keep this civil). I can't just pop down to Bunnings (as it is 5 hours away) to buy a switch, and it is the weekend so I can't call Joolca. If I could I would request a new one (actually about 10 as I think it will keep happening). Joolca I think you should spend some time and money investing in a robust shower head for what is otherwise a good system. It's the weak link....

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Joolca HOTTAP Official

Hi There, Very sorry for getting tot his one so late, I did actually reply a few days ago but noticed now that it must not have submitted. I'm also very sorry for your troubles, it would certainl... read more »

• 13 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Brilliant bit of kit worthy of an award

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 02, 2017

I purchased a Joolca Hottap Hot water system for our Jayco Swan about a year ago. Finally got around to unpacking it and permanently installing it on the drawbar. Checked the heat output to ensure the front bed is not at risk and there's almost 500mm clearance and no heat issues even after 5 minutes running time. This system is simply brilliant and so easy to use. Connect water in, connect water out, connect gas and away we go. Temperature setting for hot water means the kids won't get scalded. I bought several options as well including the cover and storage bag, and the shower stand and the gas quick connect a little later as described below.

Even though I purchased the Hottap more than 12 months ago, I did not actually set it up and permanently install it until yesterday. It's first run was yesterday and in doing so, I discovered that my kit was missing a couple of water quick connectors and a screw in red male connector. I contacted Joolca and spoke with Cameron and despite having purchased the item more than 12 months ago, and not having set it up to test until yesterday, Cameron was very quick to offer to send the items to me at no cost and by express post. That's what I call great service in support of a great product. Just to add to this great service, on 26 Dec 16, Joolca had a Boxing Day sale where all accessories where 50% off. That's when I got the gas quick connect and shower stand. If you buy from them and subscribe you get sent emails with these great offers and they're real not crap like some companies. Ensuite tent is next on the shopping list. I haven't found a better quality ensuite with the functionality offered by the Joolca tent.

I cannot recommend this hot water system highly enough and the outstanding customer service from Joolca. Several of my mates have these too and all rave about them. That's why I bought one. Great company to deal with and its all Australian. Good on you people.

• 2 comments
  • 23 helpful votes

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Works very well

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2017

Works well in my situation and have been using for a couple of months,i have mains pressure water supply and it does not seem to use a lot of lpg gas.What more can i say to satisfy product reviews 50 word minimum for a review on the joolca hot tap other than the suppler seems to be very helpful.

Sale

Model: HOTTAP OUTING Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Flotap stopped working

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2017

I am using the flotap6 with my joolca hot tap outing and has been working fine for the last couple of days, but has just decided to stop working, first time we have used it and have been drawing water from the rive next to us. Any ideas on how to fix it or what would be wrong with it??

Comments
Joolca HOTTAP Official

Hi There!

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the pump :( That is strange, can you please call us on 1300 669 500 or email on [email protected] to do some troubleshooting and sort you out?

Hobart

• 3 comments

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Dec 2016

My Hot cap caught on fire

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2017

Buyer beware. For no apparent or obvious reason my 30 day old HOT Tap ignited at the gas inlet. Joolca support claiming possible "operator error" ? As if I want to blow myself up! 30 day customer satisfaction warranty dependant on their inspection? I'm going back to Coleman. Poor service

Comments
Joolca HOTTAP Official

Hi Larz, This will be a long one but I wanted to include all the details for the benefit of other readers. I've been following this issue today where you've been speaking to Cameron. We did get y... read more »

Thanks for your response Joolca, I initially made contact with your support & was adviser by email that this was probably "human error" this is essentially an explosive device as a qualified plumbe... read more »

Joolca HOTTAP Official

Hi Lars, When you’re next in town please send the unit back to us. That return slip we emailed you can be used at any Australia Post and has shipping pre-paid. In the past any incidents like this... read more »

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Oct 2016

perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 04, 2017

Bought this 3 months ago hood it up in ten minutes works excellent! I live in my caravan and use this every day for showers on mains water in the caravan park! I'm in Tassie so the water from mains can get quite cold but the hottap has no dramas heating it up to bout 43 44 degrees Wich is to hot for me and my partner! We've had some pretty windy days and I havnt had a drama with wind stop the unit working!! Thank guys

Ty legana holiday park :)

Melbourne

• 2 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Its been a nightmare just to get it on the van and it's still not particularly useful.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2016

Ok so they send the first unit out which I test in my sheltered back yard only to find out its constantly blowing out, the "breeze" was so slight I couldn't actually feel it but I phone support and go through the various steps, blocking the side vents, turning the top vent upside down, using aluminium foil in various ways to restrict the amount of air around it etc....nope blows out constantly. The guy on the phone comments he can usually hear wind over the phone when this is an issue, not the case here. I try a different reg, gas bottle and ch ecking the flame sensor height, etc. Nothing matters, if the wind is anything but absolutely completely still it blows out.

They agree to send a second unit, it arrives but to my surprise it's second hand, I contact them to see what's going on only to be told it can't be etc etc etc, an email and some photos later I prove I'm right. They offer yet another unit but it won't make it in time for my trip so I tell them it will need to wait until my return, another 4-5 weeks goes by and I return where I had no water at all in the van as I'd reconfigured the whole thing including sink and tap to be fed of this system and chose not to fit the used unit incase an issue existed... It was returned by someone.

I get the 3rd unit sent out, brand new this time and fit it to one of their brackets bought from a reseller (the bracket came with 1 bent U-Bolt and 1 nut with no thread, it took a vice to close the bolt up and new nuts) and fitted it up, I really didn't want to turn back now as I've spent a fortune on high quality hoses and brass snap on fittings and barbs to replace the leaky rubbish it's supplied with unfortunately the end result is not amazing.

The end result is this, a system that still blows out the moment there's a breeze, I mean a pixie fart blows this out, I've now started building an enclosure to try and resolve this as the units not faulty but actually designed like this, prior reviews support this. I can't afford to change all the fittings and pumps and taps at this point so I must persist and make this work or cut my losses. The shower hose also leaks on both ends of course due to cheap snap on fittings and the slide switch is difficult to use under pressure so I've fitted a levered head to alleviate this.

I'll say this pre-emptively, I don't wish to contact your support for more help because the fact is these cannot work in mild outdoor conditions as confirmed by the 2 units I've tested and you have verified as ok, whilst it's great to have support that jumps through hoops to rectify customer issues it's not so useful when there is no actual fix as the product design is not sufficient for its intended use, if I hadn't invested so much time and money on additional hardware I'd just return the thing but I'm going to make it work right.

For those considering a unit please make sure your intended use will be ok with this units abilities, personally I don't see how this will ever work outside without it being fitted to a steel enclosure on 4 sides.

Just to add, they were nice enough to offer an accessory as compensation for the trouble with the used unit having been sent, nice gesture but ultimately still a product that only works in the most ideal conditions.

photos of some of the additional fittings I've used to get a sealed system, inside the van is much more.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Joolca HOTTAP Official

Hi Danny Thanks for the thorough feedback. Firstly I'd like to apologise for letting you down with the initial replacement. We do agree that we sent you a replacement unit which wasn't brand new... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 question

Model: HOTTAP (JCA11001) Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Free camping essential.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2016

Purchased at: eBay

Comments

Gave it a test out in the wind which proved to be a challenge. As others have mentioned, the pilot light blows out very easily leaving you with cold water until you switch off/on again.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the follow up. Feel free to give us a call when you get a chance to discuss the issues you've had as probably have a solution to improve the wind performance with a few small adjustments.

1 of 3 pages

Can the source of water be a standard size drum? Can you suggest a small pump that I expect would be required. Will be using it for a caravan or tent ?

Comrade Jim asked on Jul 10, 2017

Hi Jim,

Yes, a drum can be used. Our HOTTAP Outing product (check the website) includes a pump specifically matched for the HOTTAP.

Hi Jim,
We source our water from a 20 litre water container. Works a treat. We have a 12v water pump 17l/min with 40psi pressure switch. We already had this pump so using that. If you check the website, which has loads of info, I think you can use a smaller pump. Our next mission is to buy the Joolca ensuite tent and the outing product as that looks like it will suit our needs perfectly. Great products.
Cheers

Many thanks to Joolca & Mazza Satisfies me I will not purchase an item that promises a lot but in actual use falls short During my many years of the great camping experience this has happened to me but only occasionally .Seems to be spot on

It supposed be hot showers But keeps going cold.plus the shower head the swich.Can't even move it.? Any help?

Nola asked on Jun 27, 2017

Answer this

Hi Nola! We do actually have a new style shower head released which has solved the issue of our switch being difficult to slide. Get in touch with our support team and they'll send you a replacement. Also, if your HOTTAP is getting cold there may be a few reasons for that, I'd suggest getting in touch with our team to help you out on [email protected] or 1300 669 500. Cheers!

Hi Nola,
My name is Lyndall. I am retired and live in Brisbane.
Re: Your Shower Head
I bought my Hottap in May 2017 and the shower head switch works really well.
I bought my Hottap directly from Joolca's Melbourne office.
Did you buy yours direct from Melbourne?
For example, there is a caravan sales place near where I live in Brisbane, and they might have older stock with the stiff shower head switch.
I imagine that Joolca might be happy to supply you for free, with their new, easy to use shower head.
Re: Your Hottap only running cold water
I am thinking here that possible reasons for cold water could be:
1. The batteries are in the wrong way.
2. The batteries need replacing.
3. SOMETHING that happens to me is when I flush my toilet, then immediately after flushing, I turn on my shower - the Hottap does not ignite.
But the moment the toilet flush water stops running, I turn on my shower hose again and the Hottap ignites immediately.
It must be the water pressure. When toilet is flushing, the water pressure in the Hottap hose is lower.

So maybe it's the battery ignition or maybe it's low water pressure running through the Hottap.

I'm sorry you are having trouble because i feel like my Hottap is a wonderful invention that works perfectly every day (except if toilet water is running) - meaning as long as my water pressure is normal.
Hope this helps.
Lyndall

Hi Nola, I bought a Joolca Hottap in 2016. I have the same problems as you. The unit heats the water and then turns off. It is very frustrating. I have spent many hours trying to fix it. Brian.

The switch on the shower head is almost impossible to turn on. Thought it would loosen up with use but it has got worse. Is it possible to get a replacement head with a switch that works?

Marg asked on May 01, 2017

Hi Marg

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Can you get in touch with our support team at [email protected] or 1300 669 500 and they'll sort you out :)

See all 42 questions about Joolca HOTTAP

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details

HOTTAP (JCA11001) HOTTAP OUTING
Price (RRP) $299 $429
Included Attachments 12V FLOTAP6 Pump

The main difference between these models is included attachments