Kenwood has issued a mandatory recall for the KitchenAid Artisan KEK1722. More information about this recall is avaliable here.

• 2 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Apr 2018

A KitchenAid Kettle that requires First Aid

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2018

Seven months old, top fails to open 1 in 3 attempts. Electrical contact between the kettle and base is beginning to become sporadic requiring the kettle to be swivelled when putting on the base to attempt a successful contact. For a kettle costing a 3-figure sum it matches the quality of a kettle you would find in a bargain basement sale.

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Just stopped working

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

The kettle worked well up until now however this morning when I turned it on it was dead. Very disappointed as it was a gift from my husband. At the bottom of the kettle unit there is a section for batteries. There are none in there. Should there be? Purchased David Jones early 2017.

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Aug 2018

The lid is not working

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2018

I have purchased this kettle (via kitchenwarehouse) not even a month ago. The issue with this product is that not even couple of weeks in use and the lid has failed to open. I am very disappointed. I am trying to return it, because for this amount of money you would want the lid to open!

Sydney

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Lid Faulty (even on 2nd kettle)

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2018

Pushing the button to open the lid would rarely work. I would end up having to use a fingernail to pry the lid open while pushing the button at the same time. This began to happen 2 or 3 days after purchasing. Put up with it for a couple of weeks, then brought it back to Harvey Norman, exchanged it for the exact same model. Brought that home and within the same day, lid wouldn’t open when pushing the button. Eventually brought that back and exchanged for a Smeg (which has its own problem, reviewed separately).

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2018

I love this kettle, I was looking at a kettle that I can set different temperatures and this one works very well. I've had it for 9 months now and very happy with it.
It's quick to heat up, outside of kettle does get hot but holding by the handle is perfectly fine. Easy to clean and very nice looking.

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Nov 2017

poor quality

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2018

We have had issues with this kettle since we got it. The thermostat is really bad. Sometimes it will sit and boil the kettle until you have to manually swtich it off. Kitchenaid has just contacted us to tell us that the unit needs to be replaced due to a safety recall. I only hope the new one is better quality.
Oh, and the beeper is REALLY LOUD.......

Purchased at: David Jones

Adelaide

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Looks great but lid won't open

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

This is a very expensive kettle and looks attractive but after two replacements, including the product recall, the third kettle is showing the same fault after just three weeks - the lid will not open.
This seems to be a common problem so I am not expecting much better from a third replacement.
Would not recommend this product.

Geraldton

• 3 questions
  • 3 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jun 2018

I'm taking it back

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2018

Very disappointing Kitchenaid.. to be honest I love the look of this Kettle classy.. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, worked fine for the first week.. Now the lid is stuck !! Just won't open .. I have to fill it up through the spout, which is very inconvenient, takes too long to fill.. I believe with such a good brand this shouldn't of happened.. after reading all the other reviews I'm just waiting for the handle to fall off !!!

Purchased at: RetraVision

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Lovely black kettle

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

Nice kettle works well i like how you can ajust the heat of the water and i love the little chim it sings when its boiled. Easy to use and i love the blue light when its boiled. Easy to keep clean as well. I would recommend this kettle to everyone.

Perth

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Extremely Rude Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

Where do I start, bought the kettle, the lid broke and they replaced it under warranty, nice work.
In March I get a letter regarding a product recall, I checked the serial numbers and mine is affected, I call them and they tell they will send a new one. 7 weeks later, 3 phone calls later and after being spoken to by someone who was the rudest person ever, I just had to hang up the phone due to shock at being spoken to in such a bad way.
KitchenAid-I have thrown the kettle in the garbage as fear of the handle falling off(as told by you) and keep your replacement as I’m tired of the palava.

Melbourne

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Beautiful kettle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2018

This kettle is gorgeous. Beautiful design with a smooth, easy to use handle. A sweet little beep when your water has boiled. You can choose your temperature (I drink lots of green tea @ 80 degrees). There is a keep warm option. It feels like a very good quality product and I'm surprised at the number of reviews that had problems with the handle. Time will tell, I've only had mine a few days!

Purchased at: Myer

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Karena, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate hearing from customers about their experience with a product. Make sure you are signed up to our e-newsletter to rec... read more »

Sunhine Coast

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Handle comes off

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2018

As with some other reviewers the handle of our kettle has come off at the top. And the lid won't open properly. Surprising for a Kitchen Aid product where you'd expect a lot better. We'll take it back to the retailer but a recall should be considered as this is a safety issue.

• 2 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jan 2016

bleep! bleep!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

at first it was quite novel bleeping when it reaches temperature, but a few months down the line no thanks!
it bleeps when you take it off the charging base, when you put it back, when it reaches temperature, how annoying!
especially if you are up early like 4am it sounds really loud
ours hasn't had an issue with the handle.
would I buy it again? not a chance

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Jon, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate customer's providing feedback. We will pass this onto the appropriate party. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Great if you want to be burnt

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2017

Worst purchase I've made.
Thought I'd be getting quality for the amount of money spent.
Instead the handle snapped at the top like so many others.
Even after contacting Kitcheaid via the email they often reply to these reviews with has gotten me now where.
A very ordinary experience with a kettle only 6 months old.

Melbourne

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: May 2017

Handle came off, replacement one has other issues

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

Had ours for 4 months and were pleased with everything until one day a huge scold was barely avoided and i am so relieved my toddler wasn't standing next to me when the top of the handle came off completely. Looks like the plastic just snapped off and the screws were too short. Having purchased from myer online from eBay we had to return and repurchase a replacement. Now waiting for a refund to paypal as that's apparently the only way since it was bought on eBay. The replacement one is really annoying and we may have to return again. It beeps randomly and the on button doesn't always respond so we are disappointed being so unlucky and really didn't need so much hassle with a kettle especially one that's meant to be of top quality. If there is tips on fixing the unresponsive button and stopping random beeping, thank you in advancd.

Purchased at: Myer

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Ira, we would appreciate it if you could please contact our Customer Service Team for help with this issue. You can reach them on 1800 990 990 or enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au, please make sure to... read more »

Sydney

• 1 answer

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Faulty handle

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

We purchased the kettle and matching toaster last August. One night the top part of the handle just came away from the main body of the kettle without warning. We purchased these products for the brand without looking at reviews and I was surprised that so many other people have the same problem. This has to be rectified before someone gets seriously burnt

Purchased at: Qantas Club

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Doug, can you please send your phone number and the serial number of the kettle (this is the code beginning with Y on the sticker on the base) to marketing@kitchenaid.com.au so that we can help you with this. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

A KitchenAid customer service contacted me shortly and have assured me this issue was isolated to a certain batch and a completely new shipment from the US was on hand to replace the faulty article... read more »

Cork

• 6 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Extremely dangerous

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

Went looking to find if anyone else had the same scare as me, the handle coming away from the kettle when pouring boiling water into a cup, this other lady had her mishap in 2016 and here I am 2017 experiencing the same thing. These should be recalled before someone gets seriously injured, it's a disaster waiting to happen, I have only had mine 3 months.
I have other products from kitchenaid and wouldn't part with them but I will not be replacing this with a kitchenaid kettle.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Bredah, Please contact our Customer Service Team on 1800 990 990 or enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au who will be able to help you with this. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

I have tryed this number but can't get through

KitchenAid Official

Hi Bredah, if calling from a mobile please use 0249026500. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Vancouver

• 2 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Handle fell off when filling

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

Purchased the kettle Oct 23, 2016. Handle fell off June 27, 2017 while filling with water. Lucky did not come apart after boiling. Handle broken off where screws connect lid to the handle through a plastic casing. Damage wasn't from over or misuse but from poor design and materials. This is a case where high price doesn't necessarily get you high quality.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Stevie, this is unfortunate. We recommend contacting the Customer Service Team in Canada (this is an Australian website) who can help you as it is still in warranty. You can reach them on 1 (800) 807-6777. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Does the job and looks sleek

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2017

Good and quiet kettle. Different boiling options make it more versatile for different teas. Matches the rest of the appliances in the house. It has a hold temperature option that can come at hands when cooking dishes that require hot water at different states like risotto. Water boils pretty quick and seems to take less time than our older sunbeam kettle

Purchased at: Kitchen Warehouse

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Gabriele, Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate when customers take the time to let us know about their experience with a product! Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Adelaide

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Handle fell off whilst full of boiling water too!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

This kettle cost big $$$$ and we expected high quality as a result. Could not believe that after only 7 months of careful daily use, the handle fell off at the top (plastic gave way near screws) whilst lifting full of boiling water which nearly landed all over myself and others. This was not a wear and tear type of damage but appeared to be a poor quality design or materials defect. Like another review said, we liked the kettle until the handle fell of and nearly burned the family. The kettle was returned to the store and exchanged readily under warranty for an alternative brand. Looking at the other reviews, this kettle should be recalled immediately!!!! This comes on top of having to also return a KitchenAid toaster which kept burning toast!!! No more and certainly not recommended.

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hello, We are disappointed to hear you are not happy with your product, if you could get in contact with us at marketing@whirlpool.com we would like to help sort this out for you. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

1 of 2 pages