Kenwood has issued a mandatory recall for the KitchenAid Artisan KEK1722. More information about this recall is avaliable here.

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Lovely black kettle

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

Nice kettle works well i like how you can ajust the heat of the water and i love the little chim it sings when its boiled. Easy to use and i love the blue light when its boiled. Easy to keep clean as well. I would recommend this kettle to everyone.

Perth

• 4 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Extremely Rude Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2018

Where do I start, bought the kettle, the lid broke and they replaced it under warranty, nice work.
In March I get a letter regarding a product recall, I checked the serial numbers and mine is affected, I call them and they tell they will send a new one. 7 weeks later, 3 phone calls later and after being spoken to by someone who was the rudest person ever, I just had to hang up the phone due to shock at being spoken to in such a bad way.
KitchenAid-I have thrown the kettle in the garbage as fear of the handle falling off(as told by you) and keep your replacement as I’m tired of the palava.

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Beautiful kettle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2018

This kettle is gorgeous. Beautiful design with a smooth, easy to use handle. A sweet little beep when your water has boiled. You can choose your temperature (I drink lots of green tea @ 80 degrees). There is a keep warm option. It feels like a very good quality product and I'm surprised at the number of reviews that had problems with the handle. Time will tell, I've only had mine a few days!

Purchased at: Myer

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Karena, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate hearing from customers about their experience with a product. Make sure you are signed up to our e-newsletter to rec... read more »

Sunhine Coast

• 2 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Handle comes off

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2018

As with some other reviewers the handle of our kettle has come off at the top. And the lid won't open properly. Surprising for a Kitchen Aid product where you'd expect a lot better. We'll take it back to the retailer but a recall should be considered as this is a safety issue.

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jan 2016

bleep! bleep!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

at first it was quite novel bleeping when it reaches temperature, but a few months down the line no thanks!
it bleeps when you take it off the charging base, when you put it back, when it reaches temperature, how annoying!
especially if you are up early like 4am it sounds really loud
ours hasn't had an issue with the handle.
would I buy it again? not a chance

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Jon, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate customer's providing feedback. We will pass this onto the appropriate party. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Great if you want to be burnt

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2017

Worst purchase I've made.
Thought I'd be getting quality for the amount of money spent.
Instead the handle snapped at the top like so many others.
Even after contacting Kitcheaid via the email they often reply to these reviews with has gotten me now where.
A very ordinary experience with a kettle only 6 months old.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: May 2017

Handle came off, replacement one has other issues

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

Had ours for 4 months and were pleased with everything until one day a huge scold was barely avoided and i am so relieved my toddler wasn't standing next to me when the top of the handle came off completely. Looks like the plastic just snapped off and the screws were too short. Having purchased from myer online from eBay we had to return and repurchase a replacement. Now waiting for a refund to paypal as that's apparently the only way since it was bought on eBay. The replacement one is really annoying and we may have to return again. It beeps randomly and the on button doesn't always respond so we are disappointed being so unlucky and really didn't need so much hassle with a kettle especially one that's meant to be of top quality. If there is tips on fixing the unresponsive button and stopping random beeping, thank you in advancd.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Ira, we would appreciate it if you could please contact our Customer Service Team for help with this issue. You can reach them on 1800 990 990 or enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au, please make sure to... read more »

Sydney

• 4 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Faulty handle

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

We purchased the kettle and matching toaster last August. One night the top part of the handle just came away from the main body of the kettle without warning. We purchased these products for the brand without looking at reviews and I was surprised that so many other people have the same problem. This has to be rectified before someone gets seriously burnt

Purchased at: Qantas Club

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Doug, can you please send your phone number and the serial number of the kettle (this is the code beginning with Y on the sticker on the base) to marketing@kitchenaid.com.au so that we can help you with this. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

A KitchenAid customer service contacted me shortly and have assured me this issue was isolated to a certain batch and a completely new shipment from the US was on hand to replace the faulty article... read more »

Cork

• 6 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Extremely dangerous

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

Went looking to find if anyone else had the same scare as me, the handle coming away from the kettle when pouring boiling water into a cup, this other lady had her mishap in 2016 and here I am 2017 experiencing the same thing. These should be recalled before someone gets seriously injured, it's a disaster waiting to happen, I have only had mine 3 months.
I have other products from kitchenaid and wouldn't part with them but I will not be replacing this with a kitchenaid kettle.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Bredah, Please contact our Customer Service Team on 1800 990 990 or enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au who will be able to help you with this. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

I have tryed this number but can't get through

KitchenAid Official

Hi Bredah, if calling from a mobile please use 0249026500. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Vancouver

• 2 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Handle fell off when filling

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2017

Purchased the kettle Oct 23, 2016. Handle fell off June 27, 2017 while filling with water. Lucky did not come apart after boiling. Handle broken off where screws connect lid to the handle through a plastic casing. Damage wasn't from over or misuse but from poor design and materials. This is a case where high price doesn't necessarily get you high quality.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Stevie, this is unfortunate. We recommend contacting the Customer Service Team in Canada (this is an Australian website) who can help you as it is still in warranty. You can reach them on 1 (800) 807-6777. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Does the job and looks sleek

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2017

Good and quiet kettle. Different boiling options make it more versatile for different teas. Matches the rest of the appliances in the house. It has a hold temperature option that can come at hands when cooking dishes that require hot water at different states like risotto. Water boils pretty quick and seems to take less time than our older sunbeam kettle

Purchased at: Kitchen Warehouse

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Gabriele, Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate when customers take the time to let us know about their experience with a product! Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Adelaide

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Handle fell off whilst full of boiling water too!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

This kettle cost big $$$$ and we expected high quality as a result. Could not believe that after only 7 months of careful daily use, the handle fell off at the top (plastic gave way near screws) whilst lifting full of boiling water which nearly landed all over myself and others. This was not a wear and tear type of damage but appeared to be a poor quality design or materials defect. Like another review said, we liked the kettle until the handle fell of and nearly burned the family. The kettle was returned to the store and exchanged readily under warranty for an alternative brand. Looking at the other reviews, this kettle should be recalled immediately!!!! This comes on top of having to also return a KitchenAid toaster which kept burning toast!!! No more and certainly not recommended.

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hello, We are disappointed to hear you are not happy with your product, if you could get in contact with us at marketing@whirlpool.com we would like to help sort this out for you. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

• 5 helpful votes

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Won't stop boiling

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 25, 2017

This is a really terrific looking kettle and worked well for the first month. After this, the kettle needs to be manually switched off every time and will keep boiling otherwise. Firstly it was when it was set at 100 degrees. I adjusted it back to 90 degrees and that worked for a few times but then it was clearly continuously boiling but still showed 90 degrees on the display.

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hello, If you could get in contact with our Customer Service Team to try and resolve this that would be greatly appreciated. You can reach them on 1800 990 990 or 02 4902 6500, alternatively you ca... read more »

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Loved it.....until handle fell off whilst full of boiling water

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2017

I love my Kitchenaid products! Unfortunately while lifting the kettle from its cradle the arm of the kettle came off the body of the kettle. Full off 'just boiled' water it dropped onto my bench. Very lucky not to burn myself, could of ended very badly. Kettle is only 8 months old. Hoping Kitchenaid can help me asap.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Jade, this is very unfortunate and we are glad you were not harmed. If you contact our Customer Service Team they will be able to help you with the warranty and replacement. You can reach them o... read more »

• 1 answer

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Kettle stopped working after 3 weeks + poor customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2017

Purchased this kettle in November 2016 and the kettle stopped working less than 3 weeks later. Called to get it replace which was relatively painless (although told incorrect information in the first phone call). Two weeks later the kettle still hadn't turned up so I call again. I was then told that it was on back order for another three weeks (but no one bothered to let me know). Based on my experience I would not recommend buying either this KitchenAid product or any other.

Purchased at: Appliances Online

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi, We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your product and experience with our brand. We have passed on your feedback to our customer service team.
Thanks, The KitchenAid Team

Updated 27/1 - Finally the kettle is to be delivered this week unfortunately KitchenAid uses Startrack to send items. Of course I'm not home when they try to deliver it (you can see their reviews o... read more »

Verified Purchase Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Dec 2016

A Good Up To Date Kettle

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

With variable temperature settings and 30-minute hold temperature feature, this Kettle makes a stylish and chic addition to any kitchen space. Annoying beep sound for settings has been eliminated. It's a classy looking product. I love the lid design as I don't burn myself when I want to add more water after boiling.

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Dazou, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate all feedback. Kind regards, The KitchenAid Team

It is strange, after a day use, the beep sound for settings is come back, but beep sound for the preset temperature reached is very good.
It's better if the beep sound for settings could be eliminated,

KitchenAid Official

Hi Dazou, Thank you for the feedback. We will pass this onto onto Product Development Team

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB) Date Purchased: Jun 2015

Great Kettle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2016

The kettle is fast and quiet. I love the lid design as I don't burn myself when I want to add more water after boiling which was a huge problem for me with my old kettle. I also have the matching four slice toaster and the black onyx colour looks great in my white and grey kitchen.

Purchased at: The Good Guys

Comments
KitchenAid Official

Hi Sandra, Thank you for your valuable feedback. We at KitchenAid pride ourselves on our unique design and colour palette especially for our customers matching appliances to their own unique kitche... read more »

Cowes

• 3 comments
Private message

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB)

No problems but at this price I wanted a wow!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 19, 2016

We had a Breville kettle that displayed the temperature and had multiple temp options, after many years it started to leak. Breville no longer made that model but we loved it so much, it makes it boil faster when you see progress, that we paid top dollar and bought this. It hasn't let us down but hands down I preferred the Breville. 1. This is metal so you can't refill it when it's hot 2. It doesn't display the temperature after it has boiled (when you've walked away and can't remember whether you turned it on) 3. It's heavy and awkward the handle is too big and you dare not touch the kettle because as mentioned before, it's metal 4 and finally, when you set it to a temp less than 100 it doesn't just keep hearing until it gets to tempreture as per the display, it's like there are two thermostats and as a result the element switches on and off and it takes longer to get to 80 than to boil because of this.

• 1 answer
  • 30 helpful votes
Private message

Model: Onyx Black (5KEK1722AOB)

So glad we bought it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2016

After several dud Stainless electric kettles of various brands we are so glad we bought this kettle which is now a match to the KitchenAid Toaster we also have. Some have complained about the beeping once when set to boil and three times when it has boiled but this does not bother us at all. The light which indicates the water level is a bonus. Great product.

Purchased at: David Jones