Date Purchased: Jan 2019

Blew up and burnt my hand.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2019

Do not purchase this machine. Have only had it for two weeks now and the first couple of times the coffee was perfect and working great. Then when I started using it after a couple of goes it had a burnt plastic taste then yesterday the machine decided to blow the hot coffee up everywhere and burn my hand. Taking back, too dangerous.

• 2 answers
  • 7 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2018

Ozone/Burnt Electronics smell in the coffee

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2019

Something is wrong with these machines and people should really be carefull using them. I work with electronics and know the smell of burnt electronics & ozone. Every few cups of coffee there is a burnt electronics smell\taste in the coffee and the punginess of ozone. We flushed it several times but the taste is still there.If you taste that , do not drink the coffee and return the machine as teh chemicals involved are not good for you.

gold coast

Date Purchased: Nov 2018

worth every cent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2019

after the first tank of water having a plastic taste
i ran a second as a flush it got rid of the taste

after i got the hang of it by some freindly guidance and grinding my beans correctly

it works better than the price tag would lend to

yes its $89
yes it has a couple of issues as the frother wand could be a little longer for a bigger milk jugs

the gap between the base and the outlet could be bigger

but that all really comes down to my mug choice being on the larger side

the frother works a treat even a absolute beginner like me got it to work

Awful

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2019

The coffee tasted and smelt digusting, but it had nothing to do with the beans. Afterwards, I flushed the machine using at least three full containers of water and the taste and smell of burnt plastic in the water remained strong. I returned it the next day. It had been recommended by a friend. Perhaps it was from a bad batch, which might explain why some reviews are good. I hope quality assurance in Kmart pulls this batch from the shelf and investigates the cause. I hate to think that I may have consumed something that is potentially toxic.

East Gippsland

• 3 answers

Good Machine

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2019

Country people please check the prices at your local K-Mart before buying, the Bairnsdale outlet wanted $10.00 more than the online price for both the Espresso Coffee Machine and the Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder, I ended up buying the Espresso Machine, the Grinder and a $6.00 Stainless Steel Milk jug online for $129.00 including postage, to buy this all in the Bairnsdale outlet it would have cost me $135.00 and I would have to carry it home.

The Espresso Coffee Machine needed a bit of trial and error to get it properly sorted out, once I got it all worked out it is good, the coffee is nice and hot and it tastes great. I can't see any problems such as others have reported, perhaps I'm lucky. :-)
I'm yet to experiment with different coffee beans, the one I tried is 'Grinders Crema', which is a bit expensive @$27.00 in woollies.

Brisbane

• 1 review
  • 1 question

Does great coffee

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 07, 2019

Great small machine for the home kitchen. Easy to use and understand. Heats up quicker then a kettle. Small and not bulky like some machines.
Highly recommend it. Great value for the price. Good for busy mums and dads on the go. The temp could be a bit hotter though

Great value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2018

It’s a great machine simple but efficient! You will have no trouble with this product if you study a little and know the basics of coffee. The taste will depend only on the brand of coffee you use! Overall great product for the price and makes a good coffee ☕️

Port Macquarie

Plasticy.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2018

I bought this machine as a gift for my coffee-loving partner, this is our third day of use and no matter what we do or how much we clean it, the coffee comes out smelling of, and having an aftertaste of burning plastic. I’m a trained and qualified barista, I’ve tried adjusting my habits to suit the machine, and nothing has worked. The temperature of coffee produced is fine, but the milk wand takes a while to get the milk to the right temperature. Considering taking it back for a refund or replacement.

• 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2018

Cheap and just a bit nasty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2018

I bought this espresso machine today and I have a couple of concerns and comments on previous reviews. Firstly, this is not a semi automatic machine - there are no presets for the amount of water required for 1 or 2 cup extraction, no preset temperature, no descaling function - standard on other units. This is therefore a basic, fully ''manual'' machine in that you need to judge the size of espresso shot and temperature for yourself so consistency falls on the end user. There are also no instructions or indicators to let you know how or when to descale the unit. Next, the body is also completely plastic with plastic ''chrome'' accents and an aluminium drip tray and boiler. For those of us used to semi auto machines, the controls are cumbersome (and also plastic). There is a lack of any discernible weight to the unit for this reason so, even when the reservoir is full, it has a tendency to move when selecting functions or inserting the group handle. The temperature gauge I suppose is useful, but worrisome - judging by the calibration, the boiler will heat up to 200°C - Kmart, surely that can't be right? The steam wand is tiny, and tinny, but seems to create a good microfoam with a small quantity of milk in the right sized jug. One feature that should impress me is the portafilters. There appears to be a mesh shower, allowing the coffee to be extracted in the base whereas in many more expensive branded units, the coffee is pushed through a single pin-sized hole which have a tendency to become easily blocked. Ultimately, I can't see how this machine will last any great distance and resulting coffee is pretty woeful. It is what it is and at $89 you get what you pay for.

Ipswich, QLD

• 12 answers
  • 39 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Dec 2018

Best value espresso machine.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2018

Six months ago I bought a Kmart microwave (now rebranded as ANKO) for $45 and couldn't believe how good it is, so when I saw the ANKO coffee machine for $85 I figured Kmart have found a good manufacturer of kitchen appliances, so bought it as a Xmas present for myself.

After 40 years of percolators, dripolators, plungers and Moka pots my first espresso machine was a basic Breville, bought about 10 years ago and with that I learnt how to make a good coffee, how to use a grinder what sort of beans to buy etc. It started to lose pressure after 5 years of 3 times daily use, so I moved onto the Cafitaly pod system sold at Woolies to try out that system. I discovered I could save money and still make a reasonable short black by refilling the pods with my favourite coffee beans ground in my original Breville grinder, (being retired I have the time to refill pods).

I am on my third Cafitaly maker, they seem to last about 2-3 years, (when they come on special for about $45 I would buy a spare, so I could instatly replace the old ones), but upon seeing this Kmart ANKO and checking it all over in store I was very surprised at its smart black and chrome compact size (smaller than the pod machine), the ease of filling with water with its fold down handle on the reservoir, the temperature gauge and the simple button operation.

Getting it home I found firstly it is very quiet, It holds a lot of water, it heats up in half a minute, the portafilter produces excellent crema, and all in all it makes an excellent espresso shot. (I use ALDI beans roasted in Melbourne, and have done so for many years and grind them as I need). I dont take milk with my coffee so cannot comment on the frother. In the 24 hours of ownership I have pulled 6 shots for my wife and I and am learning how to get the grind and tamping just right.

I should say in comparison I recently installed a very expensive DeLonghi machine with inbuilt grinder at my seniors' organisation, and even being 10 times the price (and three times more complex to use) is only half as good as this Kmart machine.

Now all I need is to find water with disolved volcanic minerals like in Naples and I will be set.

• 4 comments
  • 10 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

New Kmart ANKO Coffee Machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2018

II would have to say that this is the best Semi Automatic coffee making system that I had ever used. It takes many different sizes of mugs. The machine has a coffee milk frothier with the machine. I have brought after more expensive ones, and have found so many do not heat up correctly, this one the temperature is hot. It is very easy to clean and very easy to make that perfect coffee, which I love. The best of its type that I have ever owned, and they are $149 at Kmart.

Canberra

• 1 answer

Date Purchased: Sep 2018

The best purchase I've ever made!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2018

I'll never look back. I was using satcher coffee and this has changed my life! Iced coffee: fresh! the initial cost is tiny for how much use mine gets, and even if it did break due to quality in the future I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another as I'm so impressed with this!!

myrtleford

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Nov 2018

Great buy!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

Kmart $89 Anko Expresso coffee maker is excellent value for money. Quiet easy to use and clean. Doesnt take up much space on kitchen bench. Makes lovely crema. So why pay more. Better than another brand I paid $240 for, and had to be replaced because it was faulty. So give this one a try.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Good product

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2018

Recently bought this coffee machine from KMart. I wasn't sure what to expect as it did only cost around about $80 so I knew it was very cheap compared to other brands. The machine itself is quite small but is sturdy and because of it's size, is actually quite cute. The machine is good and easily used, you just have to take some time to clean all of the plastic out of the machine and it does smell very plastic with your first few uses but after that you're good to go. Another problem with the machine is that the milk warmer is very short so you can only get certain types of jugs that will fit into this. These are the only problems I've had with this machine and apart from that it has worked very well for me. I would say, if you wanted something very good quality, maybe go with something a bit more expensive from an actual brand and it might work a little better but like me if you're just looking for a simple coffee machine to make easy coffees, you're good to go.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Anyone know what size the filter is. I am wanting to buy a steel tamper for it.

Free asked on Jan 07, 2019

Anyone else have a problem with the strong chemical taste. I cannot drink the coffee. It is the plastic I think as the whole house smells when you make a coffee. I have tried vinegar, baking soda and sunlight and it is just not getting any better

Sharon E asked on Dec 18, 2018

Answer this

I have had the machine a few days and havent detected such a smell or taste, despite using it three times each day. Perhaps you could take it back for another as that sounds disgusting, and could be a manufacruring problem with that particular machine. (ensure that, as happened at my seniors organisation, someone hasn't poured milk into the water reservoir, thinking they could make a milk coffee that way)
Edit after thinking about it; make sure the slops tray is kept very clean, as the residue can become very stinky.

Oh yes! Just purchased it and impressed BUT... I cannot drink the coffee. Smells like chemicals. I’ve washed the water tank, let the machine run several times, made a number of cups of coffee, even resorted to adding vanilla to the mix but with no positive outcome. Feeling desperate - any suggestions? Thanks Julia

yes smae here, just put a review up, that smell I bet is Ozone, its very similar to burning electronics which emit ozone . I really think KMART should look into this as it can be harmfull to peoples health

Does it grind the coffee beans?

Sheila L asked on Dec 11, 2018

Answer this

No sorry it doesn't grind the beans. But it's still a good buy. I use my machine twice a day and I can't fault it.

Product Details