Car: 2002 Toyota Corolla

Good for the price, but that's about it

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2018

Pros: Great price for decent tyres, reasonably durable, tyre noise average. Enough grip in the dry, feels dependable while at speed. Been using a set for 20k kms and still 70% thread.

Cons: Wet weather performance questionable (slight understeer on a roundabout), really need to back off or it could be unpredictable.

Purchased at: Tempe Tyres

Car: 2013 Chrysler 300C

Have had these tyres before

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

Purchased these to replace OEM tyres that where on my car as the original tyres were a very disappointing tyre only getting 24K & costing approx. $440 each
But I have these Kuhmo's on another car currently & am very satisfied with handling particularly in the wet & have travelled nearly 40K so far hence buying the same ones for the other vehicle
Best thing about these tyres about from great ride is the price as these are 40 to 50% cheaper than the OEM tyres so shop around to find the best deal

Purchased at:

• 13 helpful votes

Car: Subaru Forester

Amazing for the great price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Picked up four of these from Taleb Tyres for $440. Fitted to a Forester. Great tyres! Didn't expect much for the price, but they're quiet and handle well. So glad I didn't spend triple the price for the factory dunlops. Definitely recommend these tyres, a great budget option for any car

Car: 1999 Nissan Silvia

Great value for money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2017

The Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 is an awesome tyre for your money.
I feel that it is designed for a sporty feel which will grip well, but be noisy and decreased life.
For the same money you cannot buy any street tyres that will grip as hard as these tyres. I have used these on a race track and the performance was what I expected for the price.

• 1 answer

Verified Purchase Car: 2012 Toyota Aurion

Good Grip - Noisy - Poor Wear

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 02, 2017

Purchased these tyres for 2012 Aurion in Nov 2014.
Have just changed them as they are worn after 20,000klms.
They had plenty of grip - were a little noisy but really - 20K of wear till I had to change them is not even close to what you would need to get to warrant the cost.
I was happy to give them a go but won't be buying again.
Have moved to a much quieter tyre Michelin Primacy 3 ST - quietest tyre I have ever had.

Purchased at: Tempe Tyres

Kiama nsw

• 6 helpful votes

Car: Mazda MX5 NA 1991

Great when new

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2016

these tyres are great when new ,after little wear I thought my diff was going to fall out or I had all wheel bearing going to fail the noise was too much for me I had to change them ,I would not recommend them or purchase again .I have now purchased Nitto NT830 and I can now drive in complete silence its feels like a new car .KU31s were purchased from bob Jane who no longer sells them for that reason .

Purchased at: Bob Jane T-Marts

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Car: Minicopper S 2012

Fair, but very soft side walls

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2016

Got a set for a MiniCooper S 205/50 R17. The grip is good on wet a and dry, comfort is ok, however, the side walls are very soft and is very noticeable when cornering fast or at high speeds (after 170 km/hr) on straight line, the car tends to float a lot.
There are better options out-there, specially for a Minicooper S.

Car: 215 45r18

Amazing tread wear

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2016

I have no idea about the other reviewers wearing out the tires after only 5000kms but I've had mine for 90000kms (yes 90 thousand kms no typo) and they still have tread left on all 4 tires. I would defs buy them again as I've saved $500-$600 since I haven't had to replace my tires at the usual 40-50k kms mark.

Alstonville, NSW

• 1 comment

Car: 2010 Ford Focus

Be careful

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2015

Bought two of these from Ozzy tyres, first 5,000kms were good and then they became gradually noisy.
They are now 50% thread left and terribly noisy and will have to replace them soon, will never again buy
Kumho tyres :( not bad in wet though. The tyres I got were made in Vietnam.

Purchased at: Ozzy Tyres

• 9 helpful votes

Car: Toyota 86

Like driving on plastic wheels!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2015

I bought a set of 225/40 18's for my supercharged Toyota 86, terrible grip laterally when cornering, and very hard to get the power down. Bad tramlining as others have mentioned, and quite noisy. Half the tread gone in 5000km which I wouldn't mind if they had decent road grip but they don't... Won't be buying another set thats for sure.

Car: crossfire srt6

terrible wear rate

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2015

Have crossfire srt6. Put a set of 255/40/19 on the rear. These tyres lasted only 5400 kms. Yes just over 5 k. Took off when hardly any tread but worn right across. Stick well in the dry, average in the wet but tramline bad. Will never buy again. Not impressed at all. Wouldn't mind if I drove hard, but I mainly sit on the speed limit in cruise control'

Great value performance tyre

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2015

IMpressive grip, great for taking off at the lights without traction control, it allows me to take off much faster than before. Great cornering too, just doesnt loose traction easily so you can drive hard with more confidence. 2 downsides some tramlining on worn roads as has been mentioned, and the tyres get noise above 100kph, but the stereo solves that. I use these on my Jag 6.0L V12.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Best value tyres on the market.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 05, 2015

I have these tyres on two of my cars. My BMW E30 325iS handles very well on both wet and dry roads, even performed well on track days

• 1 comment
  • 20 answers
  • 190 helpful votes

Adequate tyres

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2015

Purchased a set of these Kumhos for my Toyota Caldina when I imported it 18 months ago and got around 35,000kms out of them which I thought ok. During that time they were hard to fault on wet and dry roads and reasonably comfortable and quiet on the highway. They were 215 45 17s. What I did notice on my initial drive up from Brisbane to Cairns was fairly severe "tramlining" where the car follows slight dips and camber changes in the straight ahead. I played around with the tyres pressures between 30 and 45 psi and it didn't make any difference so I thought it may be the car being unfamiliar with one of these and being set up for Japanese roads. So I took it in to Fulcrum for a check and alignment when I got to Cairns and they could not find anything obviously wrong with the set-up. So I put up with it for the next 18 months and have just replaced them with Bridgestone Potenzas. Guess what - no tramlining - sits nice and straight on the road without constant little steering adjustments. So after having gone through a couple of dozens different tyres brands and sizes over the years I can fairly assuredly say that these Kumhos were the worst tramlining tyres I have ever come across. Twisty, winding roads great, but stright ahead highway driving not so.

Car: BMW

So far been a great tyre

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 29, 2014

Had the KU31 for some time & have clocked up approx 20k & have performed very well
Do tram line a little on certain surfaces but that is expected on a directional tyre
Great in the wet & dry
Update Aug 16 .Have now done over 30000ks on them & still plenty of tread on them
I see some people are saying they are through them quickly but I am not a hard driver so maybe the reason they have lasted so long

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Some good some bad, mostly excellent.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2014

I was sick of putting extremely expensive German tyres on my CL600 Benz and getting around 15,000k from them. Someone suggested trying ku31's and I thought, nothing to lose. The first 3 sets I put on were to put it bluntly, fantastic. I run 275/30/19's on rear and 255's on front and have to run 34ps in the back tyres to get even wear without taking the center out. The rest of the tyre wears great, they don't scrub corners off and protect the rims fairly well. The fronts are fairly stiff with 37ps in them, but arent noisy and always turn in precisely even on wet bitumen. The grip levels are fantastic, wet or dry.

Some of the other comments are interesting, the guy with the "big heavy powerful' Senator, well, I have a big heavy car , on the same size rims and tyres, it's got a 6 litre V12 with 370 kw at the wheels and more torque than an Enzo Ferrari. The Enzo makes 657nm @5500rpm and the Benz makes 800@4100. Yes, the later versions of this motor are electronically 'limited' to 1000nm, otherwise they make 1400 and blow up gearboxes and diffs. just imagine how it should rip these tyres up if they were as rubbish as some reviewers seem to think. I can't make the traction control light up on dry bitumen, these tyres just grip and slingshot me up the road (different story in the wet). The same stopping. This car has brake assist, so if it thinks you aren't pushing the brakes hard enough in an emergency stop, it just puts them on full for you. Yes, I had to play with it when I first got these grippy tyres on, and I always like to see where the limits are before I need them in the real world. The brake pedal sucks out from under your foot and the car stops like the hand of god just grabbed you. I have never had a tyre so stable under extreme braking, or accelerating other than a slick, or semi slick. The lateral handling limits are excellent, so I can only think you must have had the tyres very underinflated. It does happen sometimes when tyres are fitted to the car makers spec. Often car manufacturers spec a much lower pressure than is optimum for the tyre because it makes the car ride very comfortably and most people don't notice the degraded tyre performance, or just blame the tyres. These tyres seem to work better with more pressure in them.

The other comment I saw on 'rotating' the tyres. These tyres are 'directional' in the tread pattern. They can't be swapped left to right, as that reverses the rotation on a tyre that has already taken a wear 'set', plus they would be rotating in the 'wrong' direction to what they were designed for. This would cause anything from extremely noisy operation, to quick, or uneven wear. I think I noticed a couple of people complaining about that. I can't swap front to rear as the size is different, so they stay put till they wear out. It doesn't seem to bother them.These really are excellent tyres, regardless of price, or any other tyre you compare them too, they are stable in tight low speed corners and and at speeds over 250 (if we were allowed to do that of course), the unbroken centre tread block/ strip and longitudinal grooving probably is what makes them track so well.. I really am annoyed Kumho has ceased production of them( I have been told), maybe they were just too good at the price they were.

A warning; My first 3 sets were bought through a reputable dealer that I know and have bought tyres from for years, in fact it was him that recommended them, despite being a Bridgestone dealer. I got roughly 35,000 a set, or 3 sets over 100,000kms. I ran out of the last set during the summer break and he was closed, so I bought a set online. Great service, great price, saved nearly 100 bucks a tyre. The tyres were marked as the same, ie, ku31's, but the tread was slightly different. I put it down to possibly an update. The tyres had similar levels of grip and handling, so I was unpleasantly surprised when I noticed they were nearly half worn at just over 5,000 km?? What the!! Buyer beware if you shop on line. They don't take them back, and god knows where they get them from, or what they really are.

ps. I was lucky enough to take the 450kw /1000nm 'monster' for a quick (pun intended) test drive. As good as the trick traction and stability control is in the CL 65AMG (twin turbo V12) it struggles for traction everywhere. Unfortunately it suffers from undersize rear tyres, having to 'make do' with a 275 when it really needs a 335, but it has no-where to put a tyre that large. Even ku31 don't help, my guess is slicks might just about be enough, maybe. Still it was fun, just not sure why the sales guys face went a funny grey shade.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Good grip good value

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2014

Ku31 275/30/19 where on e46 m3 when I got it, they where 85% worn. I've done another 5000k and still going. They are a good tyre, on a less powerful car they would be excellent. Will be getting ku39 next, they are the new model and should be even better.

Manly vale

Private message

Great service and unbeatable price!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2014

Needed tyres for my Subaru impreza, after getting a few quotes I found these guys on ebay, I was wary on buying tyres online as I know a lot of sellers are backyard importers and you don't get any warranty with their products, that and then having to pay for shipping and fitting balancing tyre disposal etc it all adds up. I found their listing for 225 40 18 kumho ku31 and after calling them up managed to save an extra $10 per tyre on the already fitted and balanced price they had listed which was already cheaper than anyone else locally. Was please when I saw they are an actual brick and mortar workshop and hwere able to offer full warranty which was important to me.

The tyres are great thus far, I saved over over $60 per tyre shopping with them and I can safely say I know where I'm sending my wife for her Toyota kluger tyres which they quoted cheaper than anyone else I found in Brookvale!

+ Top service and great price

Werribee, Victoria

• 7 answers

Excellent Tires

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2013

I bought a set of 235/45/17s for my 2003 Magna and they have been the best tires I have ever had. I had a set of Good Year tires on my car before and they would slide all over the road and i always had to be careful going around corners because the car would slide. Especially in the wet. The KU31s never slid. I was able to plant my foot taking off at lights and the tires would grip straight away.

If it wasn't for the fact that these tires aren't available for my new wheels, I would buy them again and again.

+ Not overly expensive and easy to get

- Not very much rim protection.

Mothar Mountain

• 3 helpful votes

Not the best

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 28, 2013

Only been on the car for just on 12 months and done about 30000kms all highway travel. All 4 tyres are bubbled and separated, they just fell to pieces. The place I bought them (off eBay) said too bad so sad. I think they were seconds and stuffed to begin with. Have now gone back to Maxiss tyres, will not buy Kumho again.

+ Good grip in wet and dry

- Fell to bits.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

I love maxxis tyres but can not purchase them for my tyre size anymore so am going to try the khumo. I'm not buying them from ebay though and hope they dont turn out like this

If they were bought through an Australian seller (stock here and not imports), they can come with a Road Hazard warranty, some will throw it in for free or it is $3.95. If anything happens and the ... read more »

1 of 2 pages

I just recently bought a kuhmo Ecsta SPT in 265/35R22 for my Toyota Kluger. When the car is travelling at 60km/h its creating a sound of like a strong wind coming from underneath my car. How do you get rid off it? The tyres has been wheel balanced and alligned.

Edz asked on Aug 19, 2013

Answer this

I have been told that running 22" inch whhel will be your problem. They will make noise no matter what you do. My Kumho's fell to bits i was glad to be rid of them in the end. I went back to the Maxiz tyres I had before, and will not buy Kumho tyres ever again. When you are running anything but what the car was made with, there will be some sort of trade off for modifications to the running gear, on my Caprice, it is the smoothness of the ride, on your Kluger it is noise. Just the way it is I am afraid.

Are they ok for my Mercedes 2005 CL203 C180 K?

DAVID3259 asked on Dec 06, 2012

Answer this

So long as the speed and load ratings meet or exceed OEM specs, then yes. These numbers vary with the size (diameter/width) of tyre.
Hard to answer definitively as you may have aftermarket wheels but if that's the case the larger size/lower profile will usually out-spec the OEM tyre.
BEST to check with the fitters!

Silica tyres have been described as environmentally "green" tyres. What is the range of silica content in Kumho?

herbert asked on Jul 18, 2011

Answer this

Sorry Herbert, but I bought these from a Kmart. Their information was limited, and I gleaned some from the little leaflet they had there.

As far as I know, the full range of Kumho passenger car tyres have silica content. The other "green" element in tyres relates to the rolling resistance, which silica aids in reducing. Part of that is also tread design.

Their website is probably best for more information.

Product Details