Generations:
Filter By:

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XTR Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2016

whats all the moaning

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Bought a 4k traveled demo in Sept 2016, ( this made me nervous), read ups about transmission issues ( this makes me nervous) All terrain tyres, bull bar, roof racks- cage and canopy, snorkel ( fuel economy made me nervous) - all up now 70,000 Ks - so far only issue is the clock occasionally ( 1 out of 20 times after vehicle is started) reads the wrong time - stiff s*#* - not going to lose a days car use at the service center for that. The upshot on economy- is my 84K round daily commute ( of 18k suburbs n lights etc and 66k of freeway at 110k per hour) pulls approx. 9.4L per hundred ( computer says 9.0), which is good for a car this size and power with those restance bits added? ( you want 7s and 8s buy ya mums car) - this fully loded car often ( probably 15 times per year) pulls our 1.4 tonne camper through bush ( moderate 4x4 tracks) along hilly sand tracks and along beaches - ( last trip central coast to North of coffs- offroad into and onto beaches - home via hat head national park point plomer through to port macquarie off road and beaches) - computer says 12.5L per hundred ks ( probably 13 but all good towing) - No ute is really that "car like" as the manufactures advertise - they are ALL stiff supension bouncy banging tonka trucks around rutty corners and over potholes--however in straight line cruising this BT is like the long distance comfort kilometer eater-almost Prado like-big heavy - smooth n secure touring! offroad She burbles down low like a grunting lion over obsticals--heaps of fun big giant "different looking" vehicle ( slap a bull bar on the grinning grille)--Mazda ssheduled servicing since i had it ( although still couldn be bothered mentioning the clock)--great vehicle - would reccomend no probs--last word is ALL brands of these production vehicles have inherit issues that appear randomly in a production batch, Toyota DPFs / Ford un-even suspension and the list goes on- so far I have been luck and Mazda service (central coast has been outstanding) if the tranmission does play up -I can only hope its within warranty- so far I have certainly put the vehicle through what it was built for and nothin is busted yet!-- so I worry no more about transmission failures - whats the point!-- nor the damn clock--I traded a hilux , loved it, I dig the look of the Ranger ( best looker on the ute market) - at $8000 and $9,500 cheaper - I love the BeasTy 50

• 2 answers
Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Freestyle Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jul 2015 Drive: 4WD

Good, but have had some issues

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2018

The car is good to drive with plenty of power. We bought it to carry a slide on camper which it does with ease although we did upgrade the suspension system . Unfortunately it did get stuck in 4wd which took the dealership 4 weeks to fix and prevented us from using it for a planned trip around Australia. No one could tell us when it would be fixed, so we took off with our old 2001 Rodeo! Anyway, the problem was solved , after a new instrument cluster and Power console were fitted. The car just less than three years old with only 17000 km on clock , it was all done under warranty , do can't really complain . Mazda and dealership handled everything well , but was very annoying and frustrating. We just hope that from here on in we have no further large problems. We have been told to do oil changes in two stages. Don't drain it out all at once. Also apparently automatics have a problem when towing heavy loads. They overheat. Also, as with all these newer vehicles, you are unable to use low range on hard surfaces, when you want to move a large trailer around your yard which is frustrating. And the electric high low range solenoids appear to be problematic across all brands

Brisbane

• 1 comment
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XTR Body: Ute Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Mar 2018 Drive: 4WD

I wouldnt say the best, but its not the worst.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2018

Before I write this, you must know I drove every dual cab except for the RAM 2500 and the Ford Fseries

So I use my BT for getting to offroad camping sites saying that I have taken it on some serious tracks with the only change is a set of AT tyres. Everything else is stock.

For all those haters about fuel, stop putting your foot down and you will get good fuel economy.
I can drive any 4w4 and get bad fuel economy including the BT.
Most of these dual cabs are designed that if the turbo kicks in then change, I get an average around 8.8-9.4ltrs/100klms around town and down to 7.7-8.3.
Saying that I change at approx 1.7-2000rpm.
If you want to go fast go buy a Jeep SRT V8 petrol.
These 4w4s arent made for speed unless you want to chew fuel.

Thats the fuel conversation. You can agree with me or disagree, I dont really care. I know I get good fuel economy the way I drive. Saying that if I want to go fast I ride my bike.

As for the ride on the road of the BT its not the greatest like a sedan but its better than most of the other dual cabs. Get it offroad and its very smooth, Ive had it cruising on dirt tracks at 100kms/hr with no issue but must say that Ive had it in 4H to keep it stable. Its been through the Brindabellas (4w4 tracks) with no issue and had tyre pressures down to 18-20psi depending on how accurate the tyre gauge is, pick the right path and your all good.

I wanted something bigger than the normal Triton/Hilux size and the BT with the Amarok and Ranger are the biggest Dual Cabs except for the 79series. Saying that the BT was the best priced out of all of them.
The tray has plenty of room and the kids love the room in the back seats, I must say the Navara was the only one with A/C in the back and the Amarok was very comfy as well.

Ive got the manual gearbox and yes 6speed going through gears is annoying, so I miss every second gear usually but when off-road its great.

My pet hate in this car is the trip computer it has that stupid stick where the speedo is to check everything and the radio isnt the greatest, but they have upgraded that in the new series BT.

I came from driving Wagons, ie Patrols, Pajeros as well Ive had a Triton, Navara, Hilux and 75s LC.

The reason I bought the BT was because I wanted a tray to carry my camping gear and to then pick up wood from mates farms for fires. I wanted the 5cyl 3.2 for the powe and not to rev the hell out of a 4cyl 2ltr something, (the only 4w4 I drove that had better fuel economy with the same sort of power was the Navara but i feel the gearbox would die pretty quickly with all that power and the duramax clutch which I must say died in my Patrol after 40K+ and I know a lot more people had the same issues.)

Overall Ive had no issues with it (touch wood) coming from driving a Patrol as my last 4w4 I would say I trust the strength of the Patrol with everything, I just dont have the trust in the BT yet, saying that, Ive only done 12000klms in 4months. If I had the money I would buy the Toyota 79s LC GXL for its V8Turbo and its strength.

The BT will do nearly everything you want as long as you know what your doing.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: MK1 (2006-2011) Badge: SDX Body: Ute Engine Size: 3.0L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Well built and cheaper than competitors

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2018

It was a tough decision selecting a 4wd. I went with the BT-50 because it was cheaper than Hilux's/Rangers etc. and I'm very happy with my decision. Haven't had the dreaded problems of other utes.

Pros -

Powerful engine
Cabin (electronics, speakers, cup holders, upholstery etc. more like an SUV than a ute
IFS - very comfortable ride
Paintwork

Cons -
Exhaust. Had to upgrade,
Fuel economy - 10.2L/100k - could be better
Get my pants caught on the seat adjuster getting out

• 1 question
Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Freestyle Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Electrics

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

Baught this car after towing my caravan around AUS with my pajero no problems at all, bt50 chosen for more towing weight.
Air con crapped out, reversing lights don't work now and there's a delay in the gearbox when changing gears, I have a auto the car is OK but I'm not in love with it. I miss my pajero

Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Hi-Rider Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2013 Drive: RWD

Heap of crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

Just a heads up on anyone thinking of buying a bt 50 / ranger automatic.Dont do it !!! I’ve bought 2 bt50 3.2 diesel autos. 2013 and 2015. At 170000 ks the 2013 blew the auto and the 2015 at 180000. Both utes always serviced on time and well maintained. Both utes approx 12 months out of warranty and Mazda just wipe they’re hands of it. What a joke. Absolute heap of S..t. Nearly $8000 out of pocket and couldn’t be more disappointed in both these utes. $40000 for a Ute that describes it as a workhorse. Probably not a bad car if you’re just doing shopping or picking up kids from school. Would never buy another one !!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Hi-Rider Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Freestyle Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Dec 2016 Drive: RWD

Love it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

Use for work every day, ordered heavy duty package and still had to beef up rear springs, serviced on time, no issues current, totally best car I've ever had. Only one dislike, parkers come on every time i open the door thus had to replace battery after 18 mths.

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Hi-Rider Body: Ute Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2018 Drive: 4WD

Poor economy10.8L vs 8.3L /100km

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

Our company has a fleet of Bt50, 4x4 that we have just replaced with 2018 model from the 2015 model. All of our 2015 models economy were between 8.3- 8.6 L/100km or around 950-1000km per 75L tank.
The new model is running 10.5- 10.8L/100km or around 700km per 75L tank. Some of our new models are up to 20,000km already so it’s not a running in problem. Very happy with the rest of the vehicle, but would great if Mazda could explain why there is a 25-30% increase of fuel use, so far service sept of local dealers haven’t been helpful on this aspect. I believe engine and running all the same as 2015 model

port pirie

• 5 answers
Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Hi-Rider Body: Ute Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Nov 2015 Drive: RWD

what a truck.....positively love it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2018

totally in love with Mazda and my truck, HOWEVER it blew a rear seal at 10,000 Km's, fixed by Mazda, no cost, then on a trip around Australia towing the van it never made the first 5,000 Km's of it when it blew a front seal at 40,000 Km's, Oh Oh out of warranty but Mazda came to the party and replaced and repaired at no cost plus a free loan vehicle, down side is they released the oil out of my air -con and we had to finish the trip with no cooler, back home and Mazda fixed the issue once more at no charge....I've spent around $30,000 on my truck with upgrades including alloy running boards, tow pro mirrors, old man emu suspension,ARB long range tank, ARB reversing camera, ARB ascent canopy, dual battery system with redarc BC-DC charging system, ARB solar panel, Mazda genuine alloy bullbar, lightforce spotlights, heavy tow bar, redarc remote electric brakes, 18" alloy rims with chunky rubber, draw system with fridge slide as well as an Engel fridge.....fuel economy for such a large vehicle is phenomenal averaging around 12 Ltrs Per 100 pulling an 18' van and about 7 running easy....plenty of pull up the steepest of mountains,....absolute shocker of a radio though, dont know what Mazda was thinking putting such a piece of crap like that in....all in all even with the breakdowns (2 of ) I am absolutely loving my truck and very pleased with Mazda's response

Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Freestyle Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Feb 2018 Drive: 4WD

Good Ute terrible electrics

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2018

Not a bad Ute comfy but electronics aaaaaaggggghhhh. Bcm supposedly failed due to two way, vehicle has less than 10000km constantly surges under load before two way fitted. Talked to a few other bt50 owners locally and they all say the same thing just put up with Mazda have no clue on a fix.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XTR Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Nov 2016

We love our BT - 50

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2018

I can only comment on my own experience but I am 45,000 km in and I am more than happy with my BT-50 and the customer service I have received.
I had an issue with the powder coating on my sports bar and it was replaced straight away.
I also was given the wrong information around 10,000 km services changing to 15,000km and for that mistake they did the 40,000 service free of charge and now I am back on track.
Would I recommend one YES.

Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XTR Hi-Rider Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Not too bad but nothing exciting

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2018

Purchased a new 2015 Mazda Bt50 XTR

Currently has 64,000ks on it and they’ve been without issue. Plenty of down low power but I honestly expected more from a 3.2L 5cyl. The fuel economy isn’t great.
Best feature, stereo system! Not entirely sure if they’ve convinced me enough to buy another one.

Sunshine Coast

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XTR Body: Ute Engine Size: 2.5L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Bad fuel economy

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2018

I bought the redesign MY18 4x4 Diesel XTR duelcab with the new front and 8” Alpine navigation. It’s 4 months old and I just hit 6000km. The new front is a big improvement on the old model and the new head unit is excellent with the maps easily updatable. The road noise on the highway is quite low and overall comfort is good for a ute, however the suspension is rough so don’t expect an suv driving experience. The auto gear box is very average with low speed clunking between first and second, something you would not expect in a $50k vehicle. The throttle delay on takeoff is down right dangerous on the diesel and adding an iDrive helped but didn’t really fix the issue. The worst thing is the fuel economy, round town it’s averages 13 l/100km and on the highway the best I can get is 10.5 l/100km and that’s driving very smoothly at 100kmh with no load. I hate to think what its like towing with a full load. The vehicle is also very long making it extremely difficult to park and do upturns and as a result I would not recommend this ute as a city vehicle. The inside is fairly basic with plastic touch surfaces everywhere including the center armrest, the placement of the trip meter button on the dash is just stupid and the ramaining dash functionality is difficult to access while driving. There is also no indicator light warning you that cruise control is on. Overall I would rate the BT50 as very average and definitely not worth the $50k I paid. Knowing what I know now, would I have bought the vehicle...no I don’t think so.

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Apr 2018 Drive: 4WD

BT50

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2018

2017 BT50 base model Dual Cab Chassis, 6 months down and still loving the young girl, only down fall is there is no room for panel switches for Aux items. Mazda should plan like ford and allow space for switch panel under air conditioning climate controls.

But overall if it ain’t broken don’t fix it!

Would be interested in future accessories like trialling similar suspension to fords Baja system!

Geraldton

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Apr 2015 Drive: 4WD

Mazda BT 50

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2018

Bought in 2015 only done 40.000 ks...serviced yesterday they discovered a leak in the rear end, whole gearbox needs to be dropped out seal needs to be replaced? vehicles theses days are made to generate business ..once upon a time we serviced our own vehicles and they lasted!! My vehicle is only driven by me no one else so not thrashed, is serviced on time talking service the dealer did the first service and ‘lost’ my service manual! so got rid of them ...less than happy however by the cost at this stage considering it’s small mileage

November 7th 2018 Update: Justice prevails

After much deliberation Mazda came to the party and repair my oil leak on my Mazda BT...as a warranty repair...it was just out of the time allowed but agreed the mileage was low and saved me well over a grand in repairs so I must congratulate them for a wise decision apart from that I am happy with my BT, comfortable to do long range driving in and good diesel economy a tank sees me covering just under 900ks.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

South Australia

Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: DX Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.0L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Sep 2013 Drive: 4WD

Unacceptable Disappointed Never again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

BT50 where do I start!!! Purchased 2013 brand new BT50 diesel dual 4x4 Ute. Hose on water pump let go dumping coolant on engine. Cooking the motor. $23k repair bill quoted to Mazda Australia. Mazda not coming to the party outside of warranty. Case terminated by warranty. What the!!! What car manufacturer uses plastic hose clips yep Mazda of course. Words escape me. This car has done no hard work. Regularly serviced. Serviced by Mazda dealership up until 100km then at approved dealer every 10k kms. Am considering my legal option in view of ACL. The sad part is we have purchased another BT50 last year. Loyalty!! What’s that Mazda. Similar to your customer service. Unfortunately I will NEVER recommend Mazda.

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: GT Body: Ute Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jun 2018 Drive: 4WD

bt50 fuel is great on mine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2018

my 2015 bt50 gets 1050kms out of a 80l tank i average 950 to a tank. //////////////////////////////// //////// /////// /////// //// /// ////// //////// ////////// /////////// ////////// /// /////// /////// /////// ////////// //////// /////// //////// //////////// /////// ///////// //////// ............. /////////// ///////////// /////// ///////////// ////// /////////// ////// ////////// //////////////// //////// ....

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XT Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Manual Date Purchased: Jun 2018

My experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2018

Dear Mazda,
MAZDA BT-50:
People think twice about buying a Mazda especially when all these Mazda day posts and radio advertising sounds so tempting:
READ THIS: My story.

My BRAND-NEW Mazda BT-50 has been a lemon pretty much as soon as it left the dealership. The car was purchased on 15/6/18 from Gosford Mazda. First of all, customer service was below average. Drove the BT-50 for 2 weeks got the “Piece of Mind” service done at 1000km then 1 week later at an odometer reading of only 1700km I went to go for a long drive for a weekend away and had transmission light failure light up on the dashboard then 10 minutes later I had the DPF (diesel particulate filter) light up on the dashboard. I was forced to leave the car at home.
9/7/18: Had to take the day off work to take the car in to get fixed as they could not give me a courtesy car.
11/7/18: Ute was supposedly “fixed”, reset sensors and a forced regen on the DPF because it was “blocked” after 1700km???
24/7/18: as I left for work I go to turn my car on and every warning light on the dashboard lit up and the car would not start. I was forced to take another day off work and watch my brand-new car be towed away for diagnosis, as of last week it was a problem with the body control module but yet over a week later still no result.

I have received barely any calls from Mazda to let me know what is happening with the ute and when it may be fixed. It has been now over 2 and a half weeks with no end in sight of when I will get my ute back. This has been escalated to Mazda Corps still awaiting a resolution. This is a MAJOR FAILURE from Mazda.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: GT Body: Ute Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Top Ute

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2018

I have a 2012 Mk2 XTR duel cab and it has been superb... it does 1200 Km a week and the issues I have had with it was the inter coller pipes and a pulley collapsed. At present it has 250K on the clock and it gets serviced every 15k. Will be updating to 2019 model next year ... highly recommend

Private message

Generation: MK2 (2011-2018) Badge: XTR Body: Cab Chassis Engine Size: 3.2L Turbo-Diesel Cab: Dual Cab Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2012 Drive: 4WD

Best Vehicle I’ve ever owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2018

Bought my BT50 dual cab new in Sep 2012,have put 82000 troublefree klms on it, power is great, auto changes smoothly, have had the electric issue in the dash fixed (under warranty), fitted a transmission cooler for towing, always serviced regularly, would recommend Mazda’s to anyone, we now have 3, all with no problems, BT50 has great fuel economy, comfortable to drive, and very reliable, can’t fault it, very happy Customer,

1 of 12 pages