Generations:
Filter By:
  • 22 helpful votes
Private message

Great looking car but have shortcomings. Beware of car dealership's vehicle protection sale pitch.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2012

Great looking car, nice to drive with versatile 2nd and 3rd row seating arrangement. This car is sits high off the ground; good high view. Comes with good vehicle safety features; feels sturdy and safe.

The body paint must be applied thinly as the external paintwork get scratched easily. The siver paintwork inside the doors also get scratched easily. The engine, while is powerful, is also very thirsty. The brochure's stated fuel economy is misleading.

I regretted falling for the car dealership's vehicle protection sales pitch. Paid hundreds $ more in addition to the vehicle drive away price thinking I've got a good deal. Won't name the vehicle protection plan promoted by the car dealership; paid for paint protection, leather/fabric seat protection and minor repair for dents and paintwork chips. The paintwork looks dull after several months of washes; easily scratched. When contacted the third party company to repair a dent, was told that it can't be done - excuse given that its on a location that is hard to reach etc. I should have read the fine print rather than rely soley on the sales pitch. In the end, I got another company to fix the dent.

The car dealership might let you think you got a good drive away price but they will fleece you in other areas such as vehicle protection plan, optional extras for the vehicle and car SERVICING!

+ Great looking car, versatile 2nd & 3rd row seats and has good safety features.

- Thin paintwork, thirsty engine plus misleading and overly expensive vehicle protection plan promoted by the car dealership.

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 21 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2012

love it love it love it. we took this car for a test drive and after the windy roads and hills decided this is the car for us. a bit dissapointed that we have to wait till march for delivery but deffinatley deserving of the wait!
lots of room in the back with 7 seats up, 3rd row has less legroom but still doable, woulod be more than comfy for kids under 12. 2nd row seats have ample leg room for a comfy long trip, even with front seats right back. zoned aircon is fabo, we tried and tested it, the kids can set their own temp in the back while each of the front sides has its own controls. stereo system pumps. highly reccomend this car if people are looking for something stylish, powerful and easy to drive, its like parking a normal car, no big feel too it. Turning circle is smaller than my x-trail was!

+ everything. sticks to the road like sh#t to a blanket, Looks stunning, awesome pickup power, beautiful stylish interior

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 8 helpful votes

Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic

A great, large family cruiser

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

A terrific touring vehicle that has already saved us a fortune in flying away for long weekends - we now take the car. I said wow the first time I saw the sand interior, and I still feel that way when I jump in each morning. I have had lots of cars in a very short time, and at this stage, the only reason this CX-9 will go, is to replace it with another CX-9 that has those niggles above sorted out.
To pick up on some of the earlier cons... I'm glad it doesn't have built in SatNav - it forced me to buy a handheld unit that can be swapped between cars. Eventhough I rarely have the back seats up, but unlike the Toyota Kluger there is nowhere to store a cargo cover if you suddenly don't need it away from home - I got the windows tinted more heavily at the rear so no one can see in. The petrol filler cap has enough strap/chain to thread through a little hook on the lower edge of the filler door so it doesn't rest on the bodywork.

+ The performance, the handling, the quality, the comfort, the sound system, the 20 inch rims (this may change when I have to buy tyres?!), the sand colour interior, the split third row seat, the space behind the third row seat when they are up.

- According to the kids, there should be a rear seat dvd player. I don't like how the tracks for the middle row are exposed and fill up with sand, dirt (no food allowed in my car, but it would end up there too) - see current Toyota Kluger as one way to do it. Sunglasses holder doesn't hold my relatively small pair of sunglasses. No little spot for the garage door remote (so mine is in the sunglasses holder). The drink holders could do with some sort of material in their base so that drink bottles don't rattle around when driving.

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 16 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2012

Absolutely brilliant car. We moved on form a Ford Territory and this is much more smoother, luxuriant and nicer to drive. The heated leather seats and easy adjustment as well as the different temperature controls makes my whole family happy.
Mazda seem to have done well with producing a nice, functional car for a family of 5 (with friends)..

+ Great comfort and handling with ease of seat arrangements. You can easily turn it into a 7 seater, 5 seater or 2 seater with ease. ( This makes my wife happy)

- It doesn't seem to have a warning signal for low fuel. Sure I know it's got a fuel guage and a distance to empty but my wife ran out of fuel on the second refill because we were used to an audible alarm. Also, the reversing camera is brillinat but it should also have audible reversing sensors.

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2012

Not until after I bought the car from Penfolds Burwood did I find out that the 'Cargo Cover' is an optional extra. And a $400 one at that. Every hatch I ever bought has it as standard. To spring that on one after the contract is signed and you are about to drive away is like saying .. oh by the way there is no jack and no spare wheel but you can buy one now if you like. Out and out extortion. I m in the process of trying to get the contract rescinded and the sale cancelled unless they make it standard on all CX-9s.

+ Most of it BUT

- No "Cargo Cover" as standard, and arm rest on centre console is too high, but have only driven it home so far and am trying to cancel the sale

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

So everything in the car is good, except it doesn't have a cargo cover. And that's only worth 2 stars?

i dont think its fair to fault the car if you are only pissed off at the dealer for not providing you all the sales information

This is a ridiculous review. Quit being a drama queen.

• 11 helpful votes

Badge: Luxury

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2012

Great car. Pity about the scratches in the interior plastic. You would think at this price, the quality of the plastic would be better. And the headlamps or headlamp protectors are obviously not shaped well if I have lost 4 in 25000km. Otherwise this car is superb. Zoom zoom!

+ Great family "wagon". Fits three child seats in middle row and can still access seat belt buckles, which most other cars do not. Very comfortable as driver or passenger. Luxury model has a few nice touches such as heated seats, sunroof, leather, and Boss sound system. Curtain airbags all the way to the third row seats which was a must for me. ESC was also a must which this car has.

- Bit pricey but I suppose worth it. Very thirsty on fuel. Can't seem to hold on to headlamp protectors (last one flew off after two days) so no longer replacing them. Centre consol and drivers door grasp is getting very scratched after only 30000km.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Not sure if you still have this car, but the silver plastic trims were faulty in the initial release of the car. Ours were all replaced under warranty. The replaced ones were much better,

• 1 review
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2012

overall, i enjoy the vehicle. I just have to get used to stopping at the bowser more regularly. I had test driven an Audi Q5 also, but it was really too small for the price (which was quite a bit more than the Mazda) and I didnt want to spend as much as the much dearer Q7. I believe Mazda has equipped the vehicle very well. The customer doesnt have to worry about the Audi and BMW type pricing which require you to build your car to get to the price, which turns out to be exceptionally higher then the figure you first thought.

+ comfort and style. Handles a lot like a sedan. There is minimal body roll when compared to other similar vehicles in the segment. I have specked mine a bit by fitting sidesteps, 22 inch wheels and roof racks. The wheels do maketh the machine. The performance of the vehicle is good.

- fuel consumption is not what is quoted, unless the vehicles trip computer is inaccurate. I combine city and motorway (albeit the M5 cant be classified as a motorway during peak periods) and can only get about 16.5 litres per hundred, not the quoted 13. Also the petrol tank size is too small for the consumption of the vehicle ( or maybe i was just used to my old Prado, with dual fuel tanks on a V6 could make it from Sydney to the Gold Coast and cruise around for days before refuelling. A turbo diesel could also be a benefit for the motor line-up. Not many vehicles in this segment without the option of diesel.
Interior can scratch easily around centre consol.
The size of the doors are actually oversize. You have to train the kids about opening the doors. I even opened the door recently, with the door slipping through my fingers and bashing the side mirror (of my other car).

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 30 helpful votes

Badge: Luxury

Well built, drives better than competition and can fit a family with 4 kids.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2012

We bought a CX-9 AWD Luxury to replace our 2009 Kluger KX-S. We had the Kluger and were happy with it but after having our 4th child we were forced to use the 3rd row seats on a daily basis. As the Kluger seats in the 3rd row did not split we ended up with no boot and could not even fit in a pram.
The CX-9 is much better in this area with split fold rear seats(as does the latest Kluger) and enough room to fit a decent sized pram behind the back seats. The storage under the floor in the boot is very handy for wet towels and swimmers or to hide things from view.
The runners for the 2nd row seats fill up with dirt and food and are impossible to clean out.
The air conditioning is not as good as the Kluger with only 1 air con unit in the front, unlike the Kluger that has another in the rear and can be controlled from front seats.
Fuel economy is not as good as the Kluger but our CX-9 is AWD and our Kluger was only FWD so maybe thats a factor.
Drives very, very well. Leaves the Kluger for dead in the handling department, I can't believe the thing weighs 2T when you drive it hard. My Nissan Patrol weighs over 2T and feels it but the CX-9 is really built for the driver.

Overall I feel the CX-9 is a better car than the Kluger we had with better build quality and better components. The Kluger was well built but seemed to use cheaper materials. The CX-9 just feels like a quality vehicle. The CX-9 does lack some nice little features that the Kluger had but the way it drives more than makes up for it. Last of all no woodgrain in the luxury models like the Kluger, the CX-9 is a very stylish looking vehicle inside.

+ Drives very well, well built like most Japenese cars, plenty of room, practical interior and the BOSE sound system in the luxury and GT is very good.

- Fuel consumption is higher than Kluger we had before, 2nd row seat runners fill up with dirt, food etc. Rear air conditioning cannot be controlled from the front seats like the Kluger.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

So would you say the kluger is better overall?

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic

SUV that drives like a sports car...and uses fuel like one too

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

Overall if you remove the expected cons of fuel consumption and replacing tyres this is an outstanding vehicle that drives like a sports car with the size of a 4WD. Did not come standard with Bluetooth or GPS which was disappointing but the extra money to get these items was too much

+ Handling and overall performance is outstanding for a car of this size. Quality of finish is excellent. Car looks stylish. Third row of seats capable of seating full size adult with foot well and is a stand out against competitors.

- Tyres on the 20 inch rims will only get you about 30,000 km (normal driving!). Replacements appear to be restricted to original tyres at about $400 a pop. Fuel consumption is heavy and I get about 15L per 100km. This is expected for this type of vehicle so not out of the ordinary. Reversing camera distorts view and needs a audible sensor.

• 7 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2012

Excellent car with a great drive & performance. The best sound system available with one of the best interiors to match Mazda have raised their game.

+ It does not look or handle like a standard 7 seater SUV, BOSE sound system can not be beaten, leather interior in immaculate in design/quality & drives like a sports car.

- When a 7 seater no room for any luggage & limited colour options.

• 7 helpful votes

Badge: Luxury

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2012

Fantastic car, checked out lexus, audi, BMW, Merc and VW, this car included most extras as standard for 1/2 the price. Be glad there is no DVD or Sat Nav we saved thousands buying and fitting our own. Looooove this car.

+ Everything! We purchased the Luxuary modle. Handling, stylish looks (head turner), lots of buttons to push, awsome sterio, the 3rd row has real seats (not just for kids)with enough leg room to move, plenty of room in boot when used as 5 seater, there IS a spare tyre underneath and jack in the hidden compartment in boot, no DVD player (cheaper to purchase (Clarion)and have instaled), no built in sat nav (cheaper to purchase protible and can be multi used), aircon is coooooold, picks up well, pulls up quick, colors (blue), stering wheel is small and yet your not constantly turning it, reversing camera (helps with revers parking expecially due to the larger size of vehicle).

- Being very picky as not much to say- seat seatings should incorporate side and rear mirrors, auto access to top half hatch for boot would be good, sunroof back a bit as quite glary, no cargo cover (but you would notice this if you actually looked at the car pre purchase. Extras such as mats,tow bar etc were quite expensive as cops luxary car taxes, many blind spots, can be difficult to park as a bit wider and longer than normal car (blind spots don't help).

• 24 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2012

This is the best car for my family. i have three kids under three and needed something big and stylish without having to go the kia. i can move the kids around so they dont pull each others hair etc.. and they love the dvd!!!
At last a family vehicle that looks ace!!!!

+ everything. Love love love this car. really easy to drive. smooth. smart. classy.
When you drive it ladies be sure to know that you will be getting checked out by every male driver. I certainly do :O)

- it is so easy to drive especially on cruise control that my brain sometimes tells me i can take a nap lol good job i never do!
The time i waste with people who stop me as i am loading the kids into it to tell me what a great car it looks like and if it actually is.

• 18 helpful votes

Transmission: Sports Auto Badge: Luxury

My favorite!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2012

This is an amazing car. We own the CX9 Luxury '08 model and cannot compliment it enough. With three young children this car is perfect for little spills or bickers. The leather is dark with grey trims and am easily able to mop up any thing that hits it. The comfort and space between each seat allows the children their own space, as well as my husband and myself to drive those long distances in peace.

This car looks superb on the exterior, "Gun metal grey" with those beautiful 20' tyres, it's sleek and superior.

+ Everything!

- The only thing I can think of is as mentioned in earlier reviews, petrol. However owing we do alot of city driving and school runs, its understanable. When we conciously keep the revs under 2 the fuel will last.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Hi can u tell me how much fuel it takes doing school runs and city driving?

in the city around 18L/100k, on the highway 12L/100k

it s not better than Cx7. I wonder about mazda tech

• 2 answers
  • 45 helpful votes

Zoom zoom with room!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2012

Love this car! Needed to upgrade to a larger vehicle to accommodate our growing family. The Mazda CX-9 easily fits three child seats in the second row and with the third row down, can even store two 3-wheel strollers... and a couple of bags of shopping. Like that there is also "hidden" storage in the cargo area - enough room for beach towels and first aid kit. Find it to be really versatile with seating; Rear split fold third row means you can seat six people and still have plenty of storage space (although when using child seats in the second row, the third row passenger has to access their seat via the hatch). All this in a car that drives really well. Have only previously owned hatch backs and sedans and have found this car a surpassingly easy drive, the reversing camera also makes it a breeze to park.

+ Brilliant family car, fun to drive, good safety features, loads of storage, versatile seating configuration, loads of ports to charge mobile phone iPod etc, looks great!

- Is pretty thirsty with fuel consumption up around 19L/100K, annoying bell alarm when you open the driver side door and leave the key in the ignition

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

You must be driving with a heavy right foot to get that mileage!

Hi what sort of child car seats are you using?

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

First and last Mazda

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2014

This is our first Mazda and it will be our last.

The transfer case on our 2008 CX9 failed at 100,000Km. I have never heard of cars having the transfer case fail at this early stage. I was advised by Mazda that this was "normal were and tear" and parts wear out.

I would not have bought this vehicle should I have known that "normal wear and tear" means a couple of thousand $ to repair at 100,000km due being out of warranty.

Fuel consumption is very poor. Started around 18l/100km when new, now sits around 15.5l/100km.

On the good side, it is a comfortable roomy 7 seater and drives nicely (when it works).

I would probably give it a higher rating if the transfer case had not failed - but in the circumstances and lack of support from Mazda I have no option but to give it a very poor rating.

• 7 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 43 helpful votes

Beautiful Car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2012

I test drove the CX9 Luxury.

This is a beautiful car to drive and beautiful to look at. Love the big 20" wheels. It's extremely quiet and the steering, engine and transmission combination is fabulous. Could not fault it. It would be great on long journeys and can carry a bucket load of gear.

Inside the cabin is all quality. The leather seats are very supportive and very comfortable in all rows including the seating in the third row. Even I found them comfortable to sit in. What I also liked about the 3rd was was the fact that they deployed with a single action.

Fantastic a/c system, where the passengers in the 2nd row have their own a/c controls. Great idea. Lots and lots of storage.

Not so good. The price of this car, mid to high 50K and it doesn't come with Blue tooth, Satnav or reversing sensors. By the way, the same CX9, but higher spec'd model, sells for under $40K in the US and over $60k here.

Size. Despite looking smallish on the road, it's big. 5100mm long. That's 300mm longer than a Ford Territory. Not that big is a fault, you just mights struggle to get it into a std garage.

Fuel consumption. I suppose if you could afford this car you may not worry about about the fuel, but it's a pity there is no diesel option.

+ The look, the quality, the ride and handling, third row seats, a/c system, leather seats, bose radio.

- Price, no phone connectivity, no satnav, no reverse sensors - all optional. 20" tyres cost a bit to replace. Pls make a diesel engine.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

My wife and I and of course the kids , went to have a look for a suv and had 2 in mind first the subura TriBeCa ,well looks good it got some good features in like aircon all throu the roof and the ... read more »

The new '13 model has great Bluetooth phone connection and reverse camera. I miss the reverse sensors though...

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2010

Great car to drive, but would have benefited by having an inbuilt GPS system as standard. 3rd row is very nicely thought up and works well.

+ Overall, very nice car to drive. It has a superb drive on the road. Everything is in the right place

- 1. The silver trims on the inside door panels and centre console scratches all too easily. Took delivery of the car with 3 scratches on various silver trims. Dealer made an undertaking to replace these. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer.
2. No Cargo cover as standard
3. No holder for the petrol cap to sit in when filling the car with fuel. This leaves the cap hanging so that it scratches the paintwork.
4. No permanent clock on the console
5. Seat memory should have been linked with mirror adjustments.

Ballarat

• 2 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2017

Not a flagship car

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

Over this car. The car looks good and the engine although thirsty is actually quite good and the safety tech and heads up display are great and that is where the praise ends. Paint if you look at it wrong scratches and we paid for the Soul Red, Interior surfaces scratch far too easy and they look cheap and unsightly. MZ Connect is the worst infotainment system we have had it firmware updated and reset and still it freezes and does not sync contacts until halfway to your destination. "Where the heck is Carplay Mazda" . The front passenger seat rubs on the centre console and we have been waiting at least 6 months for an idea of a fix, Sungalsses holder has rattled since day one and they state it has been fixed twice but still rattling and now has scratches from their fixes. In terms of the Kodo design practical design would have been much better. They cabin is quiet and they state this and they are correct however you hear every rattle including the loud metallic clang and knock in the front end. This was apparently identified as in the front right hand brake area and the caliper was replaced. but noise came back a day later louder. Issue still not fixed after going in again and Technical request has been sent to Mazda. I do not think we will hear anything back as we are still waiting on the seat issue. In terms of service its first 10k service the dealer reversed a BT-50 ute into the front of the car and stated they would fix it. We had to chase for 6 weeks to get this done and even when the bumper was fitted they removed paint from the freshly painted bumper refitting it which should have been picked up on inspection; We are so very over this car and regret buying it we very much want to get rid of it but have a fair amount to payout over the trade in or private sale cost of the vehicle due to Mazda releasing a new model with more features a few more months after this car was purchased. I will be talking with consumer affairs in regards to what can be done eg Mazda footing some of the payout as this car is not a the quality for the price. I would advise to look at other cars out there first as we will hopefully be getting one of the new Volvo SUV's as the quality is much better.

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

Victoria

• 1 question

Love the CX-9

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2015

I have a 2010 Mazda CX-9 Luxury (bought brand new in 2010). It is a wonderful car to drive, comfortable, loads of room, never had any problems with it. Doing a combination of suburban and rural driving my fuel consumption is 12.8L/100km (I always fill up with Premium 98 ULP). As a family of only 3 this is still such a great size car, sit high on the road never have to worry about things not fitting in the boot (I recently fit 2x 75cm suitcases - large, 1x 68cm suitcase - medium and 2x 55cm suitcases - carry on size in to the boot with no dramas at all) The 3rd row of seats have plenty of room for two adults to sit comfortably, my parents in law often compliment the car on the amount of room they have in the 3rd row and how comfortable the ride is. The sound system sounds awesome. The AC is fantastic, I often forget to shut the sunroof on really hot days but i don't worry as the AC has blasted the car full of cold air almost straight away (in my previous car a holden cruze the AC had minimal effect during summer). I honestly love my CX-9 and would definitely buy again.

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

Queensland

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

A great car if you need the size

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2014

Have owned a second hand CX9 2008 model for 3 years now and couldn't be happier. We owned two European cars before this one (VW and BMW) and I will never go back to Euro. I can't understand what people are saying below that its so expensive - they obviously haven't owned a BMW!

Major Services have cost me $523 and $581
Minor services cost me $297 and $279
And that's at Eager Mazda service centre, so there'd be other places that you could get it done cheaper. I don't regard that as being expensive though - not compared to Euro cars... (shudder)... never again.

Fuel consumption is an issue. We do only city driving and live in a hilly area. I am a very gently driver and can achieve 16.5 L/100km - my wife is more of a lead foot and does around 18.25L/100km. (Sandy below if you're doing 22L/100km you've either got something wrong with your engine or your driving). Going from the BMW 320i Touring Wagon on premium unleaded to the CX9 on regular our fuel consumption in dollar terms is only $5 per week more. Considering we are moving 25% more people (since we had our third child!) that's not a bad increase.

I have just replaced all four tyres with Pirelli Scorpion STRs for $260 each fitted - that is $1040 for a full fitted set. Just the same as any other car. Anyone who says this car is expensive for tyres doesn't know how to shop around! Get online, do some research, ring up local places and get them bargaining - don't just accept what the first shop tells you! I really wanted these tyres as I think they're the best - the first place quoted me $450 per tyre - even that would have been $1800 - but I almost halved that with 15 phone calls! Do some work people and stop whinging.

No you don't need special car spaces to park in - its wheel base is only 10cm wider than a normal big car - its mirrors do stick out a bit, but learn to park and you'll be fine. Parking sensors would be handy on this car - but the camera is pretty good (although slightly annoying its mounted off-centre... still, you get used to it)

Its one of the few cars where you can fit 3 full car seats across the back seat (middle row of seats only - no anchor points in the third row). It fits under a lower garage (1.8 m) entrance, which we needed, because it doesn't have an aerial sticking out the roof - its incorporated into the back window - a big selling point for us.

It has scary power - I've only floored it once to get around a truck, and I won't do it again (and don't need to - the pickup is impressive.) But then you pay for it in fuel consumption.

If you can get over the fuel thing its simply a superb car - and sooooo quiet and well finished. I love it, and prey for a diesel model.

1 of 6 pages