Generations:
Filter By:

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Classic Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Oct 2016

CX 9 Lemona

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

Brakes make a crunching and grinding noise, it has continuously been back to Mt Gravatt Mazda for over 18 months. Still not fixed, plenty of excuses and and hyperbole about this and that. This car has been back to the dealership on over 30 occasions, with plenty of other issues. I am tempted to spray paint a big lemon on the back of it and park it out the front. Stay away

Sydney

• 2 comments
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: TB (2007-2015) Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Worst Bluetooth system

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2018

Drives smoothly although the engine is very noisy, besides being a thirsty beast. The Bluetooth system has had issues since we bought the car. Mazda replaced the Bluetooth module but has had no effect. Voice recognition is the worst. If you have an iPhone stay away from this car. It does not work. Very frustrating for A car worth $50k Mazda can do better. I cannot believe Mazda has sold me a lemon. Stay away not sure how good the new 2016-18 Bluetooth system is. There are better options for the sort of money Mazda seeks for this car. Have had 3 CX9 in the family but I believe I have bought my last Cx9. Not recommended does not meet expectations and definitely does not do justice to the Luxury model.

Recommended to Check Bluetooth infotainment system prior to purchase even on the newer model. Check phone compatibility

Ballarat

• 6 helpful votes

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2017

Not a flagship car

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

Over this car. The car looks good and the engine although thirsty is actually quite good and the safety tech and heads up display are great and that is where the praise ends. Paint if you look at it wrong scratches and we paid for the Soul Red, Interior surfaces scratch far too easy and they look cheap and unsightly. MZ Connect is the worst infotainment system we have had it firmware updated and reset and still it freezes and does not sync contacts until halfway to your destination. "Where the heck is Carplay Mazda" . The front passenger seat rubs on the centre console and we have been waiting at least 6 months for an idea of a fix, Sungalsses holder has rattled since day one and they state it has been fixed twice but still rattling and now has scratches from their fixes. In terms of the Kodo design practical design would have been much better. They cabin is quiet and they state this and they are correct however you hear every rattle including the loud metallic clang and knock in the front end. This was apparently identified as in the front right hand brake area and the caliper was replaced. but noise came back a day later louder. Issue still not fixed after going in again and Technical request has been sent to Mazda. I do not think we will hear anything back as we are still waiting on the seat issue. In terms of service its first 10k service the dealer reversed a BT-50 ute into the front of the car and stated they would fix it. We had to chase for 6 weeks to get this done and even when the bumper was fitted they removed paint from the freshly painted bumper refitting it which should have been picked up on inspection; We are so very over this car and regret buying it we very much want to get rid of it but have a fair amount to payout over the trade in or private sale cost of the vehicle due to Mazda releasing a new model with more features a few more months after this car was purchased. I will be talking with consumer affairs in regards to what can be done eg Mazda footing some of the payout as this car is not a the quality for the price. I would advise to look at other cars out there first as we will hopefully be getting one of the new Volvo SUV's as the quality is much better.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Verified Purchase Generation: TB (2007-2015) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: May 2012

Serious rust issue - Get your serviceman to open the cover to rear compartment and watch it for your

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2017

Mazda has a history of rust issue and Australian versions aren't exceptional. I purchased my CX9-GT in 2012. In 2014, I noticed some rust dots over a small exposed area in the rear compartment and as it wasn't big I kept living with that but in 2016, I asked Mazda dealership to look into it and when they opened the rear compartment, they found a huge rusty area hidden in there. Mazda head office said the rust is not covered by their warranty policy because it is not an outside painted area. So I will be on my own.

Please get your serviceman to open and check under the rear compartment if you saw any tiny piece of rust around.

Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic

Sorry I ever bought the Mazda CX-9

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2016

I bought a 2008 Mazda CX-9 used 3 years ago with 30k miles and have had nothing but problems. The car looks nice but, the reliability is terrible. First, I had to replace the power booster because that had cracks in it and it went out. Second of all, I had problems with the transmission and had a new one of those put in The repair parts were hard to find because they didn't make them yet. Now I have a recall on the sprocket the connects the wheel to the axle I have spent over 6K on this car. I will never buy Mazda again its terrible engineering.

• 4 helpful votes

First and last Mazda

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2014

This is our first Mazda and it will be our last.

The transfer case on our 2008 CX9 failed at 100,000Km. I have never heard of cars having the transfer case fail at this early stage. I was advised by Mazda that this was "normal were and tear" and parts wear out.

I would not have bought this vehicle should I have known that "normal wear and tear" means a couple of thousand $ to repair at 100,000km due being out of warranty.

Fuel consumption is very poor. Started around 18l/100km when new, now sits around 15.5l/100km.

On the good side, it is a comfortable roomy 7 seater and drives nicely (when it works).

I would probably give it a higher rating if the transfer case had not failed - but in the circumstances and lack of support from Mazda I have no option but to give it a very poor rating.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Nice car when it goes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2014

very nice to drive, horrible at the bowser, I get average of 16-18 l/100k every tank and I drive slow.
have had brakes replaced 4 times, front wheel bearings 5 times and this week brake booster. apart from all that I love driving it.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

Private message

You need to be super rich to run and maintain it

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2013

20 inch tyres cost me $2800 to replace. I do city driving only 20 ~ 22 L / 100 kms. have to find special parking due to its size. Very expansive to service. Bit off body roll but that expected of vechile of that size.Car's Looks is great and ride is comfortable

- Expansive to run / maintain. If you need 3 row seats then only buy

Comments

Don't go to a normal tyre place, as they get ripped off by the importers. I buy them online for about $220ea (ozzy tyres) delivered then get my local service centre to fit them for <$100. Thus it c... read more »

Brisbane

North American "Truck" of the year 2008

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2013

My brother had a CX9, 2008 model until 2012

I drove it quite a bit though so I feel I know it well enough to review it.

Seriously, this was truck of the year 2008. This cannot be classed as a car due to its extreme size and weight.

This was designed for the US market and has a really annoying design issue. There is simply no space for my left knee in the drivers seat. No matter how I adjust the seat my left knee is always against the hard plastic of the dash. I would hate to be in an accident in this car.

The 20 inch wheels are impressive but leave it with horrible ride. The car is easily unsettled on bumps and never feels planted on the road. Jiggly is the best word I can come up with. When the truck was released there was only one brand of tyre for it which was over $800 per wheel. This is a huge problem as you will be lucky to get 20,000km from the tyres (especially if you have a leaded foot). You can now get falken tyres and they are about $500 each.

The interior is pleasant, but the paint that mazda used for the silver highlights comes off very quickly. It has almost no wear resistance. Most people are buying this to transport kids, so be aware that your lovely interior will quickly look second hand due to poor quality materials.

The engine has so much power its ridiculous. You can easily outrun most traffic and scare the kids to death at the same time. The power costs, as it loves to drink heavily. Hopefully you don't have to pay for it. Getting it on a lease through work might be ok...

Only the second row of seats have baby anchors, the third row does not have any anchors. This could be a problem for some people. The third row seats are too tight for adults.

The car has terrible blind spots and it is dangerous when trying to merge onto the motorway. Twisting your head doesn't help the situation. Later model years have a blind spot monitoring system, which tells you if its safe to merge. It should have been standard from the beginning. As should have been reversing sensors. Its incredibly difficult to park the beast.

For some reason people like these trucks, I had people in other cars staring at me with envy at traffic lights whenever I drove it. I just don't get it. Its just too big and too clumsy.

+ Sunroof is nice, very fast

- Where do i start? expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive tyres, thirsty

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2016

I like the way it drives but it suffers from some quality issues.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

I like the way it drives, the space and modern comforts but it suffers from some quality issues which are becoming apparent after 1.5 years of ownership. Rust started appearing on the roof and body panels even though it’s still under warranty. Dealer has been a nightmare to deal with and warranty claims seem impossible. Overall disappointed with it as quality issues let the sporty Mazda down.

Generation: TB (2007-2015) Badge: Classic Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Money Money Money

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2016

If you buy a Mazda cx9 I hope you have a lot of money to fix anything that needs replacing - No 2nd hand/generic parts for this car and no individual parts sold from Mazda you have to buy the entire kits. I have spent over $7000 just fixing issues with the front end and it still pulls to the left with no reason as to why - 5 x wheel adjustments and alignments in 6 months been in the mechanics more then we have had it to drive.

Will never buy a CX-9 again.

• 10 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2012

Not until after I bought the car from Penfolds Burwood did I find out that the 'Cargo Cover' is an optional extra. And a $400 one at that. Every hatch I ever bought has it as standard. To spring that on one after the contract is signed and you are about to drive away is like saying .. oh by the way there is no jack and no spare wheel but you can buy one now if you like. Out and out extortion. I m in the process of trying to get the contract rescinded and the sale cancelled unless they make it standard on all CX-9s.

+ Most of it BUT

- No "Cargo Cover" as standard, and arm rest on centre console is too high, but have only driven it home so far and am trying to cancel the sale

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

So everything in the car is good, except it doesn't have a cargo cover. And that's only worth 2 stars?

i dont think its fair to fault the car if you are only pissed off at the dealer for not providing you all the sales information

This is a ridiculous review. Quit being a drama queen.

Sydney

• 34 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Badge: Azami LE Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Good but not great

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2018

Went from Kia Sorento to this and after 3 weeks I preferred my KIA

Things that annoy me
1/. No road side assistance with new car purchase "unless you pay"
2/. Sun roof makes wind buffering noise as no net at front of sunroof. So very noisy and have to close when over 80kms
3/. No radio station indicator of channel or station when in NAV on screen
4/. Very easy to wheel spin front wheels for over 4 seconds. for AWD I expect much better
5/. uses 12-14kms per 100... nowhere near the 8 in brochure
6/. Fuel cap indicator icon around wrong way
7/. Bluetooth on phone gets choppy noise like a popping noise regularly
8/. No cigarette power adaptor in center console or middle.. only on left passenger side.
9/. android auto constantly locks up and freezes for 5-8 seconds when using voice commands.
10/. MP3's always goto next track 2 seconds before end or track.
11/. Heated steering wheel very slow to heat up.. around 4-6 mins. and only very small portion on sides are heated.
12/. No lumbar support
13/. arrangement of lights on dash very hard to see as most below steering wheel line of site
14/. steering wheel very heavy and makes gear noises when turning.
15/. Also had issues with lane keep assist in rain. constantly kept trying to stear the car back into lane and was very unnerving.. until I figured out howto turn off. Even Mazda dealer didn't relise the car did this!

Overall not very impressed and having buyers regret wishing I got the Santa FE or Sorento.
Very thristy and lacking that design layout thats practical. Find myself getting annoyed by the very front wheel dominance drive and layout and functionality.

I was very excited to get a top of the line Azami but after 3 weeks not feeling enthusiastic for brand.
Im hoping it grows on me.

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Okay - stay away from Melville Mazda

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

Car is okay - have had it for nearly a year now. Navigation system is a nightmare. I no longer use it as it often takes you the longest route possible. It is frustrating and difficult to programme so I am back to the google maps on the phone.
Bluetooth feature works well. It picks up a paired phone easily.
Visibility is limited. Lots of blind spots and it feels dark and close. If you are tall make sure you sit and test drive. We didnt have my 6ft 3" husband test drive and he feels quite restricted in the drivers seat.
All in all an okay car. Do not buy from Melville Mazda. Worst customer service. The manager was unbelievably rude and unhelpful and if I could have pulled out of the sale I would have. I will never buy another Mazda again after dealing with him.

Private message

Generation: TB (2007-2015) Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Nov 2013

Smart looking but over rated

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2018

I love the look of our Mazda CX-9 Only 55.000 km
The interior is lever though after only 5 years has cracked also the steering wheel
To be honest it’s not as comfortable as I thought I the middle & back seats
The air con doesn’t travel to the back

The air con flooded once
And now it sounds like it’s in over drive with gear issues

Mt eliza

Private message

Generation: TB (2007-2015) Badge: Classic Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Aug 2013

Uhh its ok

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

I like the handling and performance but it breaks down easily and it is really loud I have the aircon e because the vents break easily but the speaker are absoulty amazing and the blue tooth connection is so good it comes through perfectly almost every time overall it is a goo car but it's has some major issues

• 5 helpful votes

Good car with shortcomings

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

Drives reasonably, perhaps ordinary for. $55k car being a luxury model (mid range). Has some great features such as lots of space, especially for 3rd row and big boot size if 3rd row is folded down, tilt side mirrors while reversing, sun roof, reasonable music system, large wheels, rain sensor wipers, leather interiors, heated front seats, dual climate control. Downside fuel thirsty, noisy for a car at that price range, bluetooth has very poor integration with IPhone. Making a phone call takes multiple steps an annoying feature, GPS maps are never upgraded despite MAZDA claiming its service gives the advantage

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2017

The Sports model seats are extremely uncomfortable

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2017

Having owned my new CX9 Sports for approx 3 months I have finally figured out why I am so uncomfortable in the vehicle when driving for anymore than 30mins. The seats are 3cm narrower than the high model vehicles, and 3cm narrower than both the mazda 3 and a corolla. For a car worth over 45k this is really disappointing. DO NOT buy a Sports model.

Private message

Great car but a gas guzzler

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2013

This s a great looking car fir a family SUV but had a few negatives that Mazda should fix such ad :
- horrid fuel consumption
- feet room in front passenger seat . Conversion to RHD has left us Aussies we little space in the footwell
- roof a bit low for tall drivers

+ Style, handling

- Fuel use, front footwell space

Newcastle

Big car but great...

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2018

When I first got this car I had to adapt to driving a car which was much bigger than any prior car that I would have driven before. However now that I am driving it for a year, I am extremely happy with having gone up a car size or two. The boot space is amazing and perfect for a trip away, or just to fit in my child's pram and the shopping. I love the rear camera as it obviously helps with parking. This is our family car and we drive it daily. Would have liked it if it had a navigation system however...

1 of 5 pages