Generations:
Filter By:

Generation: TC (2016-2018) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Impressed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 25, 2016

We've had the new CX-9 for 5 months (5,500k's) and am vey happy with our purchase.
The engine is great it pulls like a V6 but at only 2000rpm rather than 3500rpm like my mates Kluger.
It has the characteristics of a deisel engine 420Nm@2000 rpm but without the deisel noise. Though it accelerates well down low it does run out of steam higher in the revs.
The ride is nice and handles good and is quiet inside the cabin and there is ample room in both rows of rear seats and the boots space with both rows up is pretty good.
The Mazda infotainment system is excellent, easy to use and navigate especially with the joystick on the centre console I just wish it had apple carplay.
The dash layout and instrument cluster is very appealing and heads up display is awesome.
There are a few things that I'm not impressed with though, it has a space saver spare, no AC vents for the 3rd row seats, no hill hold and only 2 12V outlets but it does have 2 USB outlets in the centre console and 2 in the rear seat centre rest.
All in all very impressed with the CX-9 but it is a brand new model so time will tell about reliability.

Generation: TB (2007-2015) Badge: Classic Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Apr 2013

Money Money Money

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2016

If you buy a Mazda cx9 I hope you have a lot of money to fix anything that needs replacing - No 2nd hand/generic parts for this car and no individual parts sold from Mazda you have to buy the entire kits. I have spent over $7000 just fixing issues with the front end and it still pulls to the left with no reason as to why - 5 x wheel adjustments and alignments in 6 months been in the mechanics more then we have had it to drive.

Will never buy a CX-9 again.

Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic

Sorry I ever bought the Mazda CX-9

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2016

I bought a 2008 Mazda CX-9 used 3 years ago with 30k miles and have had nothing but problems. The car looks nice but, the reliability is terrible. First, I had to replace the power booster because that had cracks in it and it went out. Second of all, I had problems with the transmission and had a new one of those put in The repair parts were hard to find because they didn't make them yet. Now I have a recall on the sprocket the connects the wheel to the axle I have spent over 6K on this car. I will never buy Mazda again its terrible engineering.

Canberra

• 2 comments

Verified Purchase Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic

For a lot of people this will be the best choice out there

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2016

For a family with 4 or at a pinch 5 kids this is a very sound choice. It's big enough to fit everyone in as well as some groceries (unlike say a Honda Odessey and many others). All your children are permitted to have legs (unlike Subaru Tribecca). It handles well and is powerful enough to pass something on a highway fully ladened (try that in the Honda). Could take half a star off for fuel consumption but that's the price of performance. 7 years of flawless performance - that's what I want from a car, that's what I got.

Only better solution for me was an Audi Q7, but its an extra $40,000 and it's a tad harder to park (150mm longer).

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Just had to choose between a 2015 Grand Tourer with 10,000 km on the clock and a new 2016 Grand Tourer. I loved my 2010 CX9 AWD luxury, so I wanted more of the same. Newer model is 25% more fuel e... read more »

Melbourne

Verified Purchase Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic

Happy choice SUV

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2015

After nearly 6 months of casually test driving SUVs I was fixated on the CX9. in Direct comparison to the Kluger which I also test drive my alliances sided with the Mazda. Most 7 seater car cars provide 6th and 7th seats for children however with the Mazda CX9 I found the far rear seats quite comfortable with ease getting in and out for a bigger bloke. The performance of the 3.7 litre is great although the heavier your foot the thirstier it becomes. That said the handling is good however it is a big car and comes with the challengers of any big car - parking and navigating tight spots - that said the reverse camera helps out and makes things allot easier. Cabing space if very generous no moving you seat forward to accommodate rear passengers, Seats are very comfy although I find the roofline lower that other cars. While it doesn't have all the fancy extras like lane change avoidance, front cameras for collision detection, it has everything you need with out the added cost. If you looking for a car in this class Mazda CX-9 is great the fuel consumption is higher than other but understandably its a trade off of the power under the hood. My First Mazda and I'm pretty sure it won't be my last. Shout-out to Penfold Mazda in Burwood - I will continue to drive the extra 20km for great service.

Wollongong

Love my car!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2015

Bought Mazda 9 luxury model in 2008. I tend to keep my cars till they die. Love this car and it's going strong. Have not had any problems with it. Love the height, though there is a blind spot on left and right sides. This has been addressed in later models. It is heavy on fuel around town, ok on freeway. It's spacious, fits our large family and more, lots of room for luggage and was happy with safety features. I love the sound system! :).

Sydney

• 2 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 28 helpful votes

Badge: Grand Touring Transmission: Automatic

A great car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2015

Driving this car for 7 years has been a dream to drive like the leather seats and the bulky but thoughtfully laid out arrangement besides some problem of the transfer case has been replaced twice and is on the way to being replaced again due to wear and Mazda couldn't fix the problem, and i have never been around an engine as hot as the engine even though of the size (you could cook your meals on it!)This all has to do with poorly engineered parts from ford, which has tarnished the reputation of Mazda even though i had previously owned many Mazda's, besides that i would buy another Mazda without the parts designed by Ford. The car has traveled over 250,000 km and is still going strong except the fuel efficiency that all cars of this size and mass has.

Victoria

• 1 question

Love the CX-9

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2015

I have a 2010 Mazda CX-9 Luxury (bought brand new in 2010). It is a wonderful car to drive, comfortable, loads of room, never had any problems with it. Doing a combination of suburban and rural driving my fuel consumption is 12.8L/100km (I always fill up with Premium 98 ULP). As a family of only 3 this is still such a great size car, sit high on the road never have to worry about things not fitting in the boot (I recently fit 2x 75cm suitcases - large, 1x 68cm suitcase - medium and 2x 55cm suitcases - carry on size in to the boot with no dramas at all) The 3rd row of seats have plenty of room for two adults to sit comfortably, my parents in law often compliment the car on the amount of room they have in the 3rd row and how comfortable the ride is. The sound system sounds awesome. The AC is fantastic, I often forget to shut the sunroof on really hot days but i don't worry as the AC has blasted the car full of cold air almost straight away (in my previous car a holden cruze the AC had minimal effect during summer). I honestly love my CX-9 and would definitely buy again.

Purchased at: Mazda Dealers

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic

SUV that drives like a sports car...and uses fuel like one too

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2015

Overall if you remove the expected cons of fuel consumption and replacing tyres this is an outstanding vehicle that drives like a sports car with the size of a 4WD. Did not come standard with Bluetooth or GPS which was disappointing but the extra money to get these items was too much

+ Handling and overall performance is outstanding for a car of this size. Quality of finish is excellent. Car looks stylish. Third row of seats capable of seating full size adult with foot well and is a stand out against competitors.

- Tyres on the 20 inch rims will only get you about 30,000 km (normal driving!). Replacements appear to be restricted to original tyres at about $400 a pop. Fuel consumption is heavy and I get about 15L per 100km. This is expected for this type of vehicle so not out of the ordinary. Reversing camera distorts view and needs a audible sensor.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 8 helpful votes

Badge: Luxury Transmission: Automatic

A great, large family cruiser

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

A terrific touring vehicle that has already saved us a fortune in flying away for long weekends - we now take the car. I said wow the first time I saw the sand interior, and I still feel that way when I jump in each morning. I have had lots of cars in a very short time, and at this stage, the only reason this CX-9 will go, is to replace it with another CX-9 that has those niggles above sorted out.
To pick up on some of the earlier cons... I'm glad it doesn't have built in SatNav - it forced me to buy a handheld unit that can be swapped between cars. Eventhough I rarely have the back seats up, but unlike the Toyota Kluger there is nowhere to store a cargo cover if you suddenly don't need it away from home - I got the windows tinted more heavily at the rear so no one can see in. The petrol filler cap has enough strap/chain to thread through a little hook on the lower edge of the filler door so it doesn't rest on the bodywork.

+ The performance, the handling, the quality, the comfort, the sound system, the 20 inch rims (this may change when I have to buy tyres?!), the sand colour interior, the split third row seat, the space behind the third row seat when they are up.

- According to the kids, there should be a rear seat dvd player. I don't like how the tracks for the middle row are exposed and fill up with sand, dirt (no food allowed in my car, but it would end up there too) - see current Toyota Kluger as one way to do it. Sunglasses holder doesn't hold my relatively small pair of sunglasses. No little spot for the garage door remote (so mine is in the sunglasses holder). The drink holders could do with some sort of material in their base so that drink bottles don't rattle around when driving.

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Central locking breakdown

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2015

I have had to replace the central locking 6 times in 5 years. Each door has gone once with the drivers door 3 times. Not happy

First and last Mazda

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2014

This is our first Mazda and it will be our last.

The transfer case on our 2008 CX9 failed at 100,000Km. I have never heard of cars having the transfer case fail at this early stage. I was advised by Mazda that this was "normal were and tear" and parts wear out.

I would not have bought this vehicle should I have known that "normal wear and tear" means a couple of thousand $ to repair at 100,000km due being out of warranty.

Fuel consumption is very poor. Started around 18l/100km when new, now sits around 15.5l/100km.

On the good side, it is a comfortable roomy 7 seater and drives nicely (when it works).

I would probably give it a higher rating if the transfer case had not failed - but in the circumstances and lack of support from Mazda I have no option but to give it a very poor rating.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Nice car when it goes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2014

very nice to drive, horrible at the bowser, I get average of 16-18 l/100k every tank and I drive slow.
have had brakes replaced 4 times, front wheel bearings 5 times and this week brake booster. apart from all that I love driving it.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

Badge: Classic

Great car with surprisingly good economy so far

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2014

Just purchased a new classic CX-9. Loved everything about the car but a little worried about claims of extremely poor fuel economy. After first week of daily commuting to work of around 300 km, economy is a very pleasing 10.2 l/100km. (City driving only - no freeway).

Sydney

• 5 comments
  • 9 helpful votes

Badge: Classic

Value for money Cruiser

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 07, 2014

Recently purchased the Classic 2wd model,for a growing family.Amazingly good driving and the feeling of being quite safe in a car which travels effortlessly around town.Quite easy to get the kids in and out of the car.
It is great to have seperate air conditioning control to the rear passengers.
Was very happy with our Mazda 3,now this Mazda cx9 is also very good.

+ Steering,handling,brakes,performance and space galore.

- A large car to park at shopping centre car parks.

• 7 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

Great car execpt for the fuel consumption.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2014

We have had the 2008 model for 6 years. The only problem we have had is failed front wheel bearing and the third row buckles falling apart. It has mobs of power and excellent handling and looks good. The bumpers are also very tough from the number of low speed speed impacts we have had.
Cons.
Horrific city fuel consumption. We get over 20l/100km. For this factor alone we would not buy another one unless it was diesel.
Kids have kicked the rear airconditioning controls clean off. (They stick out and are right at toddler kicking height).
The silvered plastics wear (esp left drivers footwell)

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Our 2007 model with 200k has done both front wheel bearings, one rear buckle broken, no a/c controls in back due to kids feet, silver plastic very worn, and we are on to our sixth set of tyres at a... read more »

In regards to tyres. The 'bob janes' of this world will charge you $500-$600 ea. I ended up getting them from ozzytyres and fitted at my local BP for <$1k. It seems the importers are gouging the tr... read more »

I'm with leighb... I fitted 4 brand new Pirelli Scorpion STRs for $260 each fitted - like Leigh I got them delivered from Ozzy (not an entirely painless experience, so give yourself a time buffer o... read more »

Queensland

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

A great car if you need the size

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2014

Have owned a second hand CX9 2008 model for 3 years now and couldn't be happier. We owned two European cars before this one (VW and BMW) and I will never go back to Euro. I can't understand what people are saying below that its so expensive - they obviously haven't owned a BMW!

Major Services have cost me $523 and $581
Minor services cost me $297 and $279
And that's at Eager Mazda service centre, so there'd be other places that you could get it done cheaper. I don't regard that as being expensive though - not compared to Euro cars... (shudder)... never again.

Fuel consumption is an issue. We do only city driving and live in a hilly area. I am a very gently driver and can achieve 16.5 L/100km - my wife is more of a lead foot and does around 18.25L/100km. (Sandy below if you're doing 22L/100km you've either got something wrong with your engine or your driving). Going from the BMW 320i Touring Wagon on premium unleaded to the CX9 on regular our fuel consumption in dollar terms is only $5 per week more. Considering we are moving 25% more people (since we had our third child!) that's not a bad increase.

I have just replaced all four tyres with Pirelli Scorpion STRs for $260 each fitted - that is $1040 for a full fitted set. Just the same as any other car. Anyone who says this car is expensive for tyres doesn't know how to shop around! Get online, do some research, ring up local places and get them bargaining - don't just accept what the first shop tells you! I really wanted these tyres as I think they're the best - the first place quoted me $450 per tyre - even that would have been $1800 - but I almost halved that with 15 phone calls! Do some work people and stop whinging.

No you don't need special car spaces to park in - its wheel base is only 10cm wider than a normal big car - its mirrors do stick out a bit, but learn to park and you'll be fine. Parking sensors would be handy on this car - but the camera is pretty good (although slightly annoying its mounted off-centre... still, you get used to it)

Its one of the few cars where you can fit 3 full car seats across the back seat (middle row of seats only - no anchor points in the third row). It fits under a lower garage (1.8 m) entrance, which we needed, because it doesn't have an aerial sticking out the roof - its incorporated into the back window - a big selling point for us.

It has scary power - I've only floored it once to get around a truck, and I won't do it again (and don't need to - the pickup is impressive.) But then you pay for it in fuel consumption.

If you can get over the fuel thing its simply a superb car - and sooooo quiet and well finished. I love it, and prey for a diesel model.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Mazda cx9

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2014

We bought the mazda cx9 after looking at all the SUV's available where we lived. We had owned a Kia carnival which was good and served its purpose whilst having 4 kids under four!
We purchased the mazda after talking a lot to owners and test drives ect!!! Have to say we love it. It's a comfortable well built value for money car that I feel safe in. Yes it could be better on fuel around town but costs us no more than the 2 people movers we owned previously... Love it!!!!

+ Roomy car but not bulky.. Fits 4 kids easy great to travel In!! Mazdas service is top class

- Little expensive on fuel

Melbourne

Private message

You need to be super rich to run and maintain it

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2013

20 inch tyres cost me $2800 to replace. I do city driving only 20 ~ 22 L / 100 kms. have to find special parking due to its size. Very expansive to service. Bit off body roll but that expected of vechile of that size.Car's Looks is great and ride is comfortable

- Expansive to run / maintain. If you need 3 row seats then only buy

Comments

Don't go to a normal tyre place, as they get ripped off by the importers. I buy them online for about $220ea (ozzy tyres) delivered then get my local service centre to fit them for <$100. Thus it c... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Great car but a gas guzzler

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2013

This s a great looking car fir a family SUV but had a few negatives that Mazda should fix such ad :
- horrid fuel consumption
- feet room in front passenger seat . Conversion to RHD has left us Aussies we little space in the footwell
- roof a bit low for tall drivers

+ Style, handling

- Fuel use, front footwell space

4 of 5 pages